Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Axum! Arcade! The Arranger! A'sai! The Adversary!)

Post by catsi563 »

The adversary had an interesting origin in that he was basically forges F**k up.

Forge was in Vietnam and was wounded same attack that cost him his leg if I recall and cost him the lives of his squadmates. forge out of revenge cats a ritual that used the 9 souls of his fallen squadmates and summoned demons to kill the VC. When he realized what hed done he called in an air strike that destroyed the demons and cost him his leg.

But he never closed the summoning portal and the adversary was able to walk the earth eventually leading to the disaster in dallas that lead to the X-mens sacrifice. they needed 9 souls to willingly sacrifice themselves since the original 9 were taken unwillingly. this is also the story where storm regained her powers because the adversary had trapped her and forge in a sort of paradise dimension. Forge used his legs tech to build a power restorer and hit storm with it getting her powers back.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Ashcan

Post by Jabroniville »

ASHCAN (Alexander Woolcot)
Created By:
Peter David & Mark Beachum
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #112 (March 1986)
Role: Abused Child
Group Affiliation: None
PL 10 (78)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Ranged Combat (Blast) 5 (+5)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Disintegration Blast" Blast 15 Linked to Weaken Toughness 15 (Extras: Affects Objects, Ranged) [75]

Offense:
Unarmed +1 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Disintegration Blast +5 (+15 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 30 & 25)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness -1, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Father)- Alex's father is a violent, abusive man. He has since come to recognize SHIELD agent Dylan Pattinson as his father.

Total: Abilities: -8 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 8 (78)

-A Peter David creation from his Spectacular Spider-Man run, Ashcan is an abused child, frequently struck by his inventor father. When he touched his father's invention, he gained a massive Disintegration Blast effect- later, during one of his dad's drunken rages, Alex pulled a "Marvel Boy" and disintegrated the man. Going on the run, Alex would lash out in fear at anyone approaching him, drawing the attention of the police, SHIELD and Spider-Man. Things seemed to be ending peacefully when Spidey & Alex teamed up to take out a gang of SHIELD Mandroids, but Alex was shot by a rogue SHIELD agent and seemingly-died. Classic "Peter David Sad Ending."

-Later, Alex, now called "Ashcan", showed up in David's Hulk run- the SHIELD agent had in fact tranquilized him and made him a part of SHIELD- Alex now thinks one of their agents, Dylan Pattinson is his true father. When Agent Clay Quartermain breaks into Alex's home, a fight breaks out that involves The Hulk, but he & Alex soon team up. Alex eventually recognizes that Pattinson is not his father, but the two continue on together. So David kind of undid his own "Sad Ending".

-Alex is a classic "Kid Character" with weak stats, but carries IMMENSE power, enough to shake The Hulk or take out some Mandroids with absolutely zero combat training of his own.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Authority

Post by Jabroniville »

THE AUTHORITY (Tito Mendez)
Created By:
Tom Peyer & Pat Olliffe
First Appearance: Marvel Team-Up #1 (Sept. 1997)
Role: Jobber Villain, Composite Character
PL 6 (77)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+7)
Insight 3 (+8)
Investigation 8 (+13)
Perception 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Equipment (Armor +2), Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (Armor +5), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Gaining Information)- The Authority was once burned by his ignorance as to his father's activities. After killing his own wife in a struggle (she was secretly working for his own organization, and didn't appreciate his questioning orders), he determined to know everything about everything.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (77)

-The Authority (unlelated to the Wildstorm team) was the main focus of the second, failed run of Marvel Team-Up. He was the son of a criminal, but blind to his father's activities. When he discovered what he was blind to, he vowed to never be taken unawares again- he focused his attentions on knowing everything about everything. Now an information broker ("the authority" on any subject, if you will), he was a past associate of Silver Sable, and started backing Spider-Man's actions (as this was a Spidey-themed team-up book, like all MTUs have been) in order to gain access to The Globe. However, when he grabbed this all-powerful piece of equipment that could give him all the accrued information in the world, Spider-Man stopped him, realizing that an alternate version of him had taken over another universe. The Authority has never reappeared, having been rendered an incoherent, amnesiac wreck by The Watcher, who took back The Globe.
Jabroniville

Aged Genghis

Post by Jabroniville »

AGED GENGHIS
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Strange Tales #136 (September 1965)
Role: Lost Mage
Group Affiliations: None
PL 13 (199)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (History) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Magic) 16 (+20)
Insight 4 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 8 (+12)

Advantages: 
Artificer, Ritualist, Ultimate Magic Skill, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Vague Magic Stuff" Variable 15 (Magic) [105]
Senses 8 (Detect Magic- Ranged 2, Acute, Precognition) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Magic Stuff +12 (+14 Ranged Damage/Affliction, DC 29/24)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +8

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Insane)- Aged Genghis is reverted to a gibbering loon immediately afer the contest to declare the new Sorcerer Supreme. He remains this way for at least a century, until the next contest.
Reputation (Keeper of Secrets)- Aged Genghis is said to hold vast secrets (such as the true nature of Eternity), and thus is sought-out by various mystics and power-seekers.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 113 / Defenses: 17 (199)

-Sometime shortly after the dawn of humanity, the man soon to be known as Aged Genghis made a pact with "forces beyond the Earthly sphere" (possibly the Vishanti) for knowledge. In return, he agreed to host a contest of sorcerers every 100 years, in order to determine the next "Sorceror Supreme". By modern times, he had long since gone insane (driven nuts by the fullness of the cosmos and its secrets)- lucid only for the duration of the contest. Dr. Strange attempted to take care of him one time, but the chaos inside Genghis's soul manifested itself as tentacles (thankfully, this was before anime went down THAT particular dark road), and soon he was back in his cave. Various others have attempted to learn his secrets (Dr. Doom, Clea, etc.), but his answers and advice always comes in the form of gibberish, and he never properly-trains anyone. Dr. Strange was able to win the contest to become Sorcerer Supreme, but was thus honor-bound to aid Doctor Doom in rescuing his mother from Mephisto's realm.

-He's my standard lazy-ass Wizard Build, but with added "oomph" considering how powerful and secret-keepy he's known to be. However, most of the time he's off his rocker.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 am The adversary had an interesting origin in that he was basically forges F**k up.

Forge was in Vietnam and was wounded same attack that cost him his leg if I recall and cost him the lives of his squadmates. forge out of revenge cats a ritual that used the 9 souls of his fallen squadmates and summoned demons to kill the VC. When he realized what hed done he called in an air strike that destroyed the demons and cost him his leg.

But he never closed the summoning portal and the adversary was able to walk the earth eventually leading to the disaster in dallas that lead to the X-mens sacrifice. they needed 9 souls to willingly sacrifice themselves since the original 9 were taken unwillingly. this is also the story where storm regained her powers because the adversary had trapped her and forge in a sort of paradise dimension. Forge used his legs tech to build a power restorer and hit storm with it getting her powers back.
Yeah, it's funny how this otherwise non-historic villain more or less started the whole "The X-Men are dead" thing, which was a HUGE part of the X-books during this time, setting off Excalibur and running for several years.
Jabroniville

Atom-Smasher

Post by Jabroniville »

ATOM-SMASHER I (Ronald English)
Created By:
Tony Isabella & George Tuska
First Appearance: Black Goliath #1 (Feb. 1976)
Role: Dead Super-Villain
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Radiation) 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+9)

Advantages: 
Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Radioative Might"
Blast 10 (Feats: Split) [21]
Radiation Aura 6 [24]
"Pure Radiation" Insubstantial 3 [15]

Offense:
Radiation Aura +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications: 
Motivation (Power)
Weakness (Lead & Graphite)- Materials that are resistant to radiation are unaffected by Atom-Smasher's powers.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 7 (118)

-Oh my God it's Atom-Smasher! He's so big and strong and HANDSOME... I can't wait to feel his thick, firm hands on my shoulde--- I mean wait, this is a Marvel character. Never mind.

-The first Atom-Smasher He was a scientist whose Nucleonic Reactor was owned by a standard corporation which refused to let him share the patent- he was fired, and thus went into super-villainy. He fought Black Goliath in his solo book, but was soon killed by the assassin Warhawk in the third issue, who was attempting to kill both men. He's basically a smart dude who was also a Blaster/Energy Guy. The fact that his powers were radioactive was a bit of a plot point- Bill "Black Goliath" Foster would be affected by the Blasts much later, and would even lose his powers thanks to them. Kind of hard to put into stats, though, aside from a Progressive Weaken or something. Probably best-handled as a Complication for the hero.

ATOM-SMASHER II (Michael English)
Created By:
Tony Isabella & George Tuska
First Appearance: Black Goliath #2 (April 1976)
Role: Dead Super-Villain
PL 8 (123)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Technology 4 (+9)

Advantages: 
Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Radioative Might"
Radiation Aura 6 [24]
"Pure Radiation" Insubstantial 3 [15]

Offense:
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed)- Atom-Smasher's plan involves the death of MILLIONS, all for money.
Weakness (Lead & Graphite)- Materials that are resistant to radiation are unaffected by Atom-Smasher's powers.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 10 (123)

-The second Atom-Smasher was the brother of the first, and later took up the reins in Marvel Two-In-One, which also featured Black Goliath. At this point, Bill Foster's powers had diminished greatly, and were at risk of killing him. He nonetheless braved the danger in helping The Thing against the new Atom-Smasher, though his fading powers made him highly vulnerable. His attack damaged the machine A.S. was using to do some villain thing (a shockingly-evil act, actually: he was going to KILL MILLIONS, loot to his heart's content, then ransom billions out of the rest of the world to prevent him from doing so again), but he pressed on- the machine exploded, killing him. Not a lot of longevity in these Golden boys, I tell you what.

-The second Atom-Smasher is basically identical to the first, but presumably a bit tougher, since it took more than a single bullet to kill him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Blind_Pugh

Post by Blind_Pugh »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 am Image

ALCHEMY (Thomas "Jellybean" Jones)
Created By:
Paul Bestow
First Appearance: X-Factor #41 (June 1989)
Role: Forgotten Character
Not forgotten by me, it's where I learned the atomic weight of Gold thanks to some terrible Beast dialogue.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 am Image

OH MY GOD THIS NAME IS A PUN ON "APEX" I JUST FIGURED THAT OUT.

APE X II (Roy Reyna, aka Sobresimio)
Created By:
Karl Kesel & Ramon Bachs
First Appearance: Marvel Apes #1 (Nov. 2008)
Role: Proof That Not Only D.C. Does This
Group Affiliations: The Ape-Vengers
I remember asking you to stat this guy back in the mists of antiquity. I wish they'd do more with him, it's such a perfectly comic book idea.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Blind_Pugh wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 am Image

ALCHEMY (Thomas "Jellybean" Jones)
Created By:
Paul Bestow
First Appearance: X-Factor #41 (June 1989)
Role: Forgotten Character
Not forgotten by me, it's where I learned the atomic weight of Gold thanks to some terrible Beast dialogue.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 am Image

OH MY GOD THIS NAME IS A PUN ON "APEX" I JUST FIGURED THAT OUT.

APE X II (Roy Reyna, aka Sobresimio)
Created By:
Karl Kesel & Ramon Bachs
First Appearance: Marvel Apes #1 (Nov. 2008)
Role: Proof That Not Only D.C. Does This
Group Affiliations: The Ape-Vengers
I remember asking you to stat this guy back in the mists of antiquity. I wish they'd do more with him, it's such a perfectly comic book idea.
Oh, hah :). I all sent you a PM on RA about this place, forgetting I'd done so already! I have a terrible memory for who I've told about this place.
Jabroniville

Atom-Smasher (the eco one)

Post by Jabroniville »

ATOM-SMASHER III (Kevin Leonardo)
Created By:
Len Kaminski & Kevin Hopgood
First Appearance: Iron Man #287 (Dec. 1992)
Role: Eco-Villain
PL 8 (139)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Intimidation 3 (+3)

Advantages: 
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Radioative Might"
Radiation Aura 6 [24]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Immunity 10 (Radiation Effects) [20]

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications: 
Motivation (Revenge)- Kevin was badly betrayed by Stane International, and seeks revenge and environmentally-sound energy.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 79 / Defenses: 9 (139)

-The third, and final, Atom-Smasher was a Stane International employee who complained about his company dumping toxic waste, so he was of course put in a canister of it and thrown out to sea. Naturally, he returned as a radioactive-powered vengeance-seeker, and fights Iron Man. He actually defeats Iron Man in their first fight, and then has to fight Firepower, a government agent. When Tony learns of his origins, he makes a deal to let Atom-Smasher escape and a shut-down of all Stark nuclear reactors in return for not destroying the plant. The character does not appear again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Man, I have no idea why Marvel has THREE jobbers named Atom-Smasher. It probably has something to do with the DC character, though.
Jabroniville

El Aguila

Post by Jabroniville »

"El Aguila was designed by Dave Cockrum and he had this big Zorro thing, and Zorro was another one of these characters that I was just crazy about and Power Man and Iron Fist was tricky. These were not guys who could fly. Their superpowers were defensive and if they were offensive, it was going to be hands-on, and it’s remarkably tricky inventing a villain for somebody like that ... It seemed to me that someone like Zorro but with one or two powers would be about the right level and since Iron Fist was a little bit easygoing and unworldly, and Power Man was just so cranky and completely grounded in the here and now, giving him somebody with this playful panache would be frustrating. Iron Fist wouldn’t even get it, Power Man would be infuriated by it, and it would give El Aguila a certain amount of charm. So I wasn’t just thinking of the power problem, though it was a problem, but in terms of the characters—it had to interest me. And Power Man and Iron Fist were so well-realized as characters that if a villain wasn’t as equally well-realized, then what was the point in doing it?"
-Mary Jo Duffy, on the creation of El Aguila

EL AGUILA (Alejandro Montoya)
Created By:
Mary Jo Duffy & Dave Cockrum
Country of Origin: Spain
First Appearance: Power Man & Iron Fist #58 (Aug. 1979)
Role: Zorro Rip-Off, Swashbuckling Hero
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Lethal Legion, The Phalanx, The Sons of Yinsen
PL 9 (119)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Acrobatics 5 (+11)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Sword) 1 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Swashbuckler) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Blast) 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+2)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 2 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Benefit (Uses Attack To Feint in Combat), Defensive Roll, Equipment (Sword), Evasion, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown, Taunt

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Electrical Generation Through Medium"
Blast 8 (Extras: Penetrating) (Flaws: Medium- Conductive Materials) (Diminished Range -1) (15) -- [16]
AE: "Stun Blast" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Medium) (Diminished Range -1) (15)

Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 20)
Electrical Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Champion of the Downtrodden)- El Aguila searches out drug dealers and others who prey upon the needy.
Responsible (Legacy)- The "Aguila" (or "Eagle") title has been passed down the generations in Montoya's family, and he strives to  live up to these expectations.
Power Loss (Blast)- Alejandro's powers will become drained if he uses them too often, so he does not use his Blasts incessantly.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 12 (119)

-El Aguila's your average ultra-stereotypical Ethnic Hero- a Spaniard who's watched too many Zorro movies, and is also a mutant. He's a ridiculously minor character, appearing as an Iron Fist/Luke Cage supporting hero every once in a while, but mostly not doing anything. The most interesting part about him is the fact that despite living in Madrid, Spain- in real life a very large city, the writers apparently contemporized it with Zorro (who is from 19th Century California), resulting in a Madrid full of donkeys and hay everywhere. In modern times.

-El Aguila was a mutant who fought drug dealers and the like, but only showed up in random comics here and there- since the '80s were not a big time for Iron Fist & Luke Cage after a point, he pretty well vanished, spending over a decade on the shelf at various points. He was confirmed to have been de-powered on M-Day, but is still enough of a swordsman to count as a good hero anyways. Not that anyone has used him.

-El Aguila is a partial Weaponsmaster build, mixed with a minor super-power (Stunning & Blasting in an Array), so he's a half-decent PL 9 on offense (with a PL 8 Blast/Stun), but is far under-pointed, and rather vulnerable. Having such a high accuracy (realistically a super-hero fencer would be a ways up there- this puts him on line with Kraven & Ares, a bit below Spider-Man, Kingpin & Bucky-Cap) means his PL's boosted a bit beyond what you'd expect from a jobber, but he could hang with Cage & Rand, so he's probably not all bad. He has quite a lot of Skills, being a solo hero who fights on the streets- he had to pick up some stuff, but he needs some work before he'll be anything but a joke.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Arranger! A'sai! The Adversary! Atom-Smasher! Aguila!)

Post by Ares »

The idea of a superhero fencer is criminally under-utilized. I'd actually love to see a comic where a superhero who uses Italian/French swordsmanship fights some guy with a katana who assumes that him practicing a Japanese style and wielding a katana automatically means he's going to win, only for the hero to dismantle him. And then make a point about how it's the skill and technique of the swordsman that matter most, not the place the style was developed.

Though I'd probably see that kind of person using a sabre rather than a rapier, since that way they can benefit from the thrusting style but also have a cutting blade.

As for El Aguila, he's someone who could have been fun, but was underutilized. I know I say that about a lot of characters, but it's true.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

American Eagle

Post by Jabroniville »

AMERICAN EAGLE (Jason Strongbow)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Ron Wilson
First Appearance: Marvel Two-In-One Annual #6 (Oct. 1981)
Role: Forgotten Hero, Ethnic Stereotype
PL 10 (153)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Athletics 6 (+14)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+12)
Expertise (Navajo) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 9 (+12)
Ranged Combat (Crossbow) 4 (+14)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Equipment 5 (Motorcycle, Crossbow +4), Evasion, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Crossbow), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown

Powers:
"Enhanced Physicality"
Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
"Eagle Eyes" Senses 4 (Extended Vision 2, Low-Light Vision, Extended Hearing) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Crossbow +14 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Navajo Nation)- Strongbow tends to get involved in situations that affect his people directly.
Motivation (Justice)- Strongbow actively refuses the Superhuman Registration Act.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 12 (153)

-Jason Strongbow got his powers in the usual way (Ulysses Klaw shot a Sonic Blast into some uranium deposits and emowered Jason & his brother Walt, who was later killed by evil miners), in a story teaming him up with The Thing, Ka-Zar & Wyatt Wingfoot. He was a minor-league semi-forgotten hero for years, dressed as the most flamboyant eagle-headdressed Native stereotype ever. Well, at least his powers aren't Stereotypical Native American Powers, and didn't get them from The Great Spirit or anything- he tends to avoid the most goofy aspects of being a Native superhero.

-He was mostly underutilized until Warren Ellis used him for his crazy awesome dark-humoured Thunderbolts series. When Norman Osborn sent his psychopathic team of Thunderbolts (Moonstone leading Venom, Swordsman, Bullseye and the non-insane Radioactive Man & Songbird) to round up some unregistered heroes, Strongbow (discarding his multi-coloured headdress for some bad-ass regular clothes and a motorcycle helmet) aided The Steel Spider against them. And the T-Bolts had a disastrous time, as their lack of teamwork or quality leadership tripped them up, Steel Spider was horribly maimed instead of captured in a clean manner (Venom ate his legs), and Bullseye ran off on his own, thinking the nano-collar that'd blow up his head if he went off the rails was offline.

-It was here that the Eagle got his supreme bad-ass push: he beat the LIVING CRAP out of Bullseye. I mean, it wasn't even CLOSE- he just taunted him, then took the guy apart. Bullseye was about to use one of his trademark throwing weapons and could have theoretically still won, but then his nano-thingie blew up and crippled him. Sepulchre ended up saving the day by interrupting things, and so Eagle escaped. Later writers would use him once or twice in other books (War Machine/Iron Man and stuff), but he's still a minor-leaguer. Too bad- I was digging his dark sense of humor and grouchiness, and the lack of goofy racial accoutrements was a nice difference.

-American Eagle is the rare Unknown Hero that is worth full PL 10 status. I mean, he was weaker in his EARLIER appearances- the dude beat the LIVING SNOT out of Bullseye in their more-recent fight! It helps that he's exceptionally strong- packing Spidey-level physicality on a nasty brawling style, which means that he can get the jump on a more accurate, weaker guy and really lay a beating on him. The +12/+8 set-up is rather rare, too.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Arranger! A'sai! The Adversary! Atom-Smasher! Aguila!)

Post by Ares »

While I'm not a huge fan of costume that's just a jacket and some red gloves/boots and a stylized helmet, anything's better than his original outfit. And likewise, I enjoyed that the guy didn't get his powers in any kind of mystical way, instead an old super-science experiment that basically made him Captain America on steroids.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Arides/Shatterstar

Post by Jabroniville »

Jesus Christ WHAT.

ARIDES (aka Shatterstar I)
Created By:
Doug Moench & George Perez
First Appearance: Inhumans #3 (Feb. 1976)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Kree Empire
PL 8 (108)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Expertise (Space Soldier) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Jetpack- Flight 8, Space Travel 2; Immunity- Life Support), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Green Beam" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: "Red Beam" Heat Blast 8 Linked to Environment 1 (Light) (18)
  • AE: "Yellow Beam" Concussive Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Blasts +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Green Beam +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications: 
Responsibility (Kree Agent)- Arides is so beholden to his masters that he will arrest and kill his own parents under orders.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 9 (108)

-A Kree Super-Soldier, "Shatterstar" (no seriously, that was his name) was created for the Inhumans book in the 1970s. A complete yes-man (his first mission involved capturing his parents, who'd fled Hala over disgust for their son's treatment as a science experiment- he even killed his own mother!), he was sent to Earth to capture the Inhumans and have them become part of the Kree military. However, he was believed killed when Triton deflected his "Red Beam" back at him. He re-emerged in the '98 Jae Lee-drawn Inhumans series as an Energy Being, and departed for Hala, looking for answers as to what his new condition meant- he has never reappeared.

-As Shatterstar, Arides was a Blaster with three different-colored "settings" for his Blasts. As an Energy Being, he had Insubstantial 3 (Energy) and Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects). As he lasted literally one fight before dying for twenty years, I'm calling him PL 8 and leaving it at that.