Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Princess Bride

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PRINCESS BRIDE:
-And now for a build set I've always MEANT to do, but just glossed it over or forgot for whatever reason- it was a shocking 8 years and 11 months ago when I first built the characters of The Princess Bride, but at that point, it had actually felt like a while since M&M started! Based off of a satirical medieval-style novel from 1973, this film, made by Rob Reiner in 1987, made a solid piece of scratch, but has since gone on to become one of the most frequently-quoted movies of all time. It went through a few hands over time (Development Hell is notorious in Hollywood), with Christopher Reeve at one point set to play Westley, but eventually we got the film we all know and love.

It's a COMPLETE classic from start to finish, and has pretty much zero flaws. Told as a bit of a cliched tale told by an old man to his sick grandson (played by Fred Savage, the kid from "The Wonder Years", and older brother to Corey Matthews from "Boy Meets World"), it's instead hyper-satirical of the cliches and tropes common to Fantasy at the same time as it's playing them absolutely straight, in the most awesome way possible. The hero is brave and dashing, the girl pretty, the swordfights epic (and COMPLETELY over-the-top, in a way that basically pays homage to the "Flynning" era of swordfight-choreography), the villains snivelling and horrible, and more.

The dialogue is pretty much the key reason to see this film, though. "As you wish" is romantic as BALLS, all of Wallace Shawn's dialogue is perfect (one of his best character performances), Inigo Montoya gets the straight-up most badass quote in HISTORY, and even Billy Crystal's cameo provides some exceptional dialogue ("mostly dead" indeed). The movie is simultaneously romantic as hell and chest-hair-growingly manly- a truly rare combination; and it's EXTREMELY funny. It's so well-acted that it's a shame that most of the cast went on to fairly little fame (Andre the Giant is easily the most famous of the entire cast, and he died in the early '90s!)- there was Robin Hood- Men in Tights for the star Cary Elwes, Wallace Shawn is a desired comedy/character actor, and Mandy Patinkin is a huge star on Broadway, but that's about it.

Like I said, it made back its budget, but a mere $32 million seems pretty small for a movie that's THIS well-known, and can be quoted by everyone I know (one piece of info I've read was that the word "Princess" in the title made boys not want to see it, much like how Disney blamed that on The Princess and the Frog making half the money Tangled did). It's one of those cases where it wasn't a huge deal when it came out, but got more and more notable over time, as more people saw it on video. You've probably already seen it. If you haven't, then your life is empty and devoid of all joy. See it now.
Jabroniville

Westley

Post by Jabroniville »

Buttercup: You mock my pain.
Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

WESTLEY (aka The Dread Pirate Roberts)
Role:
The Hero, Awesome Swordsman
Played by: Cary Elwes
PL 9 (139)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 11 (+13)
Deception 9 (+12)
Expertise (Pirate) 9 (+12)
Expertise (Farmboy) 1 (+4)
Expertise (Swordplay) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 1 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Reputation- The Dread Pirate Roberts), Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment (Sword), Fast Grab, Fearless, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Takedown 2, Taunt

Powers:
Immunity 1 (Poison) (Flaws: Limited to Iocane Powder) [0.5]

Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Westley has spent years as The Dread Pirate Roberts, in order to amass a fortune to marry the beloved local girl Buttercup.
Relationship (Buttercup)- Westley has loved Buttercup, his Twue Wove, ever since he worked on her family's farm- carrying out her stern commands with a simple "As you wish". When they have their reunion kiss, it is rated in the top of the top five most passionate, pure kisses since its invention.
Responsibility (Swordsman)- A proper swordsman, Westley is greatly impressed by an "artist" equivalent to himself, and would never willingly kill such a man. He would even leave a potentially-dangerous adversary alive because of this.
Prejudice (Spaniards)- He initially refuses Inigo's help "Suppose I give you my word as a Spaniard?" because "I've known too many Spaniards".
Secret (Is Not Left-Handed, Either)

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 55--27.5 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 0.5 / Defenses: 13 (139)

-Westley is the hero of our story, initially resembling a Zorro-like Dread Pirate of great reputation. He defeats three deadly adversaries at their own game (out-Flynning Inigo Montoya, out-wrestling Fezzik the Giant, and outwitting a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line) in order to save the life of the woman he loves, and later comes to her defense when the vile Prince Humperdinck tries to marry her, then have her killed. He's basically a walking homage to Errol Flynn, being a swashbuckling, polite ass-kicker who respects and compliments his fellow swordsmen ("I would NEVER kill an artist such as yourself!"), and is generally good at almost anything.

-Westley is terrific all-around, but decidedly human- a Roden of Unusual Size puts a major hurting on him, and he's capable of being outnumbered quite easily (Inigo is pretty close to him, and states his limits). At the same time, he's bright (bluffing Vizzini by poisoning both cups with iocane... since he was immune to it anyways), strong (able to maintain a Chokehold on someone played by Andre the Giant), great with a sword (he beat Inigo, who himself could easily kill a handful of Mooks, though admitting that he could never beat twenty men by himself). His lying abilities are INCREDIBLE- not only does he get Vizzini, but he also bluffs Prince Humperdinck with a great speech about the horrors he'll inflict on the man ("no- not to the death. To the PAIN."), convincing him to give up... WHILE BEING PARALYZED. He's a great specimen altogether. And he once used the insult "You miserable, vomitous mass", which I have GOT to steal one day.

-Though phenomenal, Westly is PL 7.5 unarmed, PL 8.5 with a Sword, and PL 8 defensively, making him unable to simply wipe out dozens of soldiers.
Jabroniville

Vizzini

Post by Jabroniville »

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha--- *falls over dead* "

VIZZINI
Role:
Evil Scoundrel, The Chessmaster
Played by: Wallace Shawn
PL 2 (55), PL 3 (55) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 6 (+7)
Expertise (History) 4 (+9)
Expertise (Geography) 6 (+11)
Expertise (Mercenary) 5 (+10)
Insight 2 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Equipment 1 (Knife), Jack-of-All-Trades, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Knife +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Vizzini is a mercenary.
Responsibility (Overconfident)- So self-assured is Vizzini of his own genius, that he gladly engages Westley in a Battle of Wits, and finds any challenge to his plans "InconCEIVable!"

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (55)

-Vizzini (played with snivelling glee by Wallace Shawn, who generally gets stuck playing nerds, but is famous amongst film dorks for "My Dinner With Andre", a film famously about two old men having a long conversation at dinner- Wallace is a more good-natured but has a stick up his ass, while his friend Andre is your classic pretentious artist type, who keeps telling stories about weird art crap that makes him cry) is the leader of a trio of Mercenaries, and the most ill-mannered and evil of the lot, since Inigo & Fezzik turn out to be pretty nice dudes. A cocky Sicilian, his overconfidence proves his undoing, as he engages Westley in a battle of wits, after he overcomes the henchmen.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sonia! Lord Nergal! Fire Emblem Builds Complete!)

Post by Ares »

Ah, my favorite movie of all time. There's really something magical about this movie. Everything about it is just perfect for me, this amazing combination of action, romance, dialogue, humor and fun, while still being serious enough to have stakes and never become a full on farce or comedy. It's something I very much try to emulate in my own writing.

Westley is basically the Batman or Samurai Jack of the setting, able to acquire a large number number of skills in a short time, physical excellence and craftiness. The book implies that Inigo is actually the better swordsman, but that Westley is just a little stronger, a little faster, smarter, a bunch of little advantages that end with Westley winning. Meanwhile the movie has Westley just straight up win, though its largely by keeping his cool while Inigo loses his own.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Princess Buttercup

Post by Jabroniville »

Buttercup: *kisses the king on the cheek*
The King: What was that for?
Buttercup: Because you've always been so kind to me, and I won't be seeing you again, since I'm killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite.
The King: Won't that be nice? *calling up to the queen* She kissed me! Heeheehee!

PRINCESS BUTTERCUP
Role:
The Damsel In Distress, The Defrosting Ice Queen
Played by: Robin Wright
PL 0 (12), PL 2 (12) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Farming) 2 (+2)
Insight 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Attractive

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Westley)- Buttercup's heart belongs to a farmboy who died several years ago- she refuses to love anyone else, and despises The Dread Pirate Roberts for having killed him. A simple "As You Wish" is all it takes to melt her frozen heart. When she fears him dead, she decides to take her own life.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (12)

-Played with almost hilarious uselessness, Princess Buttercup is basically pretty and nothing else. She's rude to most everyone she meets (granted, they either kidnapped her or murdered her fiancee), can't overpower freakin' VIZZINI, needs everything explained to her, and when Westley is wrestling with a Rodent of Unusual Size, her only reaction is to scream and poke it with a log (his F*CKING SWORD IS RIGHT THERE, YOU USELESS TWIT!!!). She's thus a pretty solid example of your Classic Damsel in Distress who can't really interject herself on the story, and is more the reason things are happening. So much the better for a satirical take on a fairy tale.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

She does, however, have enough smarts to remember Humperdink's promise about those two ships and realize that he's lying to her, and enough stones to tell him exactly what kind of a person he is. So I'd boost her Awareness and possibly Will a bit.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:11 am She does, however, have enough smarts to remember Humperdink's promise about those two ships and realize that he's lying to her, and enough stones to tell him exactly what kind of a person he is. So I'd boost her Awareness and possibly Will a bit.
I don't remember any of that, lol. Just a lot of damselry.

One thing I'll definitely give this movie was the sheer ton of funny side characters. Like, the senile old King is kind of beloved and he's only there for a second. Billy Crystal's character and his insane wife are a huge highlight of the movie and only in one scene. And THE BOOER. "BOO! Muck! BOO!"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:29 am
Davies wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:11 am She does, however, have enough smarts to remember Humperdink's promise about those two ships and realize that he's lying to her, and enough stones to tell him exactly what kind of a person he is. So I'd boost her Awareness and possibly Will a bit.
I don't remember any of that, lol. Just a lot of damselry.
This scene.

(I have a slight advantage. Long before the movie came out, my dad read me the book as a child.)
Jabroniville

Inigo Montoya

Post by Jabroniville »

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father- prepare to die."

INIGO MONTOYA
Role:
The Most Quotable Character in Film History, The Swashbuckler, Revenge-Obsessed Bad-Boy
Played by: Mandy Patinkin
PL 8 (113)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Mercenary) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Swordplay) 10 (+11)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sword), Fast Grab, Fearless, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Last Stand, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Takedown 2

Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Obsession (Revenge)- Inigo was only an eleven-year-old boy when his father was cruelly murdered by a six-fingered man. Captivated by revenge, he has spent the last twenty years sharpening his skills with the blade, and constantly searches for this mystery man. Upon the day he meets him, he will say "Hello. my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father- prepare to die."
Motivation (Money)- Inigo is obsessed with revenge, but "Revenge doesn't pay the bills". He works as a mercenary, often doing some questionable things.
Relationship (Fezzik)- The two become fast friends, though don't share all that much, and aren't exactly tender pals (witness Fezzik's attempts to get Montoya sobered up).
Responsibility (Swordsman)- A proper swordsman, Inigo is greatly impressed by an "artist" equivalent to himself, and feels terribly about having to kill Westley. He'll still DO IT, of course, but he has a lot of honor about it, won't kill someone prematurely, and looks forward to fighting so much that he willingly holds back his initial talent.
Secret (Is Not Left-Handed)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (113)

-Inigo Montoya probably comes away from the films as everyone's favourite and most-quoted character. And considering the lines Westley gets, how awesome Fezzik is, and how delightfully douchebaggy Vizzini is, Mandy Patinkin plays him with SUCH aplomb, and gets such picture-perfect dialogue with the best-possible delivery, that it's hard to find his equal anywhere. And that REVENGE STORY- revenge may be the strongest emotion the human spirit is capable of having- sure you could say Love or somethin' lame like that, but when you get right down to it, NOTHING fills people with the obsessive, desperate purpose that REVENGE does- even in the real world, you can think of countless deaths in war thanks to getting even with someone else for something, and it's one of the few things that people will both kill and die for. My Roman History Prof mentioned how the Romans understood this, and felt that spite was one of the great motivators, as people would often ruin and risk their own lives just to repay a past slight.

-And revenge is the name of the game for Inigo Montoya. Obsessed with killing the man who killed his father when he was just a boy, Inigo works as a mercenary to pay the bills and grind mooks so he can Level Up, then find the man, and dispatch him while giving the most epic quote in movie history. And it is GLORIOUS when he finally does it- especially because the Count is not only evil, but a piece of crap coward who fled from a fair fight, got in a cheap shot, and nearly-fatally wounded Inigo, only to have Inigo basically play his Hero Point to avoid damage, play another one to destroy the Count's defenses, and then scores a devastating Critical Hit when he forces the Count to beg for his life- thus cutting him down and gaining peace at last. Just the greatest thing ever.

-Mandy Patinkin kicks ass, too. Alas, he's not known for many other film or TV roles (he quit Criminal Minds or whatever it was because he's disgusted by the sheer amount of rape and violence on television these days- he found Inigo's point about not knowing what to do with the rest of his life, having spent twenty years of it only on revenge, to be very poignant), but he's a legit Broadway legend, having played the male lead in Evita alongside Patti Lupone (he's the male voice you hear on High Flying, Adored), and is a major star for all of the various Stephen Sondheim roles he's played. And he apparently doesn't mind it when people run up to him and quote Princess Bride dialogue at him- he legitimately found it one of his favourite roles to play.

-Inigo is basically Westley Lite, having lost to him pretty handily by the end of their battle, but not by enough to be held way behind. He EFFORTLESSLY killed four Mook Palace Guards without taking a hit (Takedown plus great Defenses & Improved Critical stacking up), then powered through his Toughness Saves (and probably pulled out a Last Stand- ignoring all damage for one round) to kill the Count (himself not a bad fighter). And this after being completely wasted on liquor only a few hours before!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Fire Emblem Builds Complete! The Princess Bride!)

Post by Ares »

Buttercup is actually a lot more proactive than a lot of damsels in distress. She tries to escape the first chance she gets (the area with the Shrieking Eels), she is not only willing to backsass The Dread Pirate Roberts, but when he gets distracted she shoves him down a steep hill, and when learning that was Westley she shoved she immediately jumped after him. She willing gives herself up in an effort to save Westley, she catches on that Humperdink lied to her, she absolutely rips him to shreds verbally, and she's willing to kill herself rather than be Humperdink's pawn. Yeah, she wasn't much help against the ROUS, but her big skills are farming and horse riding, she's got no combat skills to speak of and most women are scared of normal sized rats, let alone ones the size of an alligator.

As for Inigo, he's a master class in great acting and writing. Mandy Patinkin just sold the role so well, at least partially because he'd just lost his own father to cancer. So whenever he was speaking about Inigo's father, he was really projecting his own emotions about his deceased dad. That's why it all felt so visceral and real. When he gives the famous "I want my father back, YOU SON OF A BITCH" (one of my favorite lines in the whole movie), he was speaking to the cancer that took his father from him. It's heartbreaking stuff.

One aspect I love about his final fight with the Count, Inigo returns every injury the Count has given him over his life. He starts with stab in the collar bone, then the bicep (the wounds Inigo suffered when weakly deflecting the Count's killing blows), then he gives him the same cuts the Count gave him on each cheek when he was a boy, then he stabs him in the gut to replicate the knife wound, and finally, after saying what he wants more than anything, he drives the blade up into the Count's heart. It's just . . . perfect. Absolutely perfect.

The only real plot hole in the movie is when Inigo hears the sound of ultimate suffering, knows it's the Man in Black because his true love is marrying another. Inigo never found out Westley's real identity or his motivation for rescuing Buttercup. He might have heard about it since he was in the Thieves' Forest at the time and they might have heard some gossip (possibly from one of the Prince's men that helped capture Westley), but that's a bit to infer.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:58 am The only real plot hole in the movie is when Inigo hears the sound of ultimate suffering, knows it's the Man in Black because his true love is marrying another. Inigo never found out Westley's real identity or his motivation for rescuing Buttercup.
I believe that it's suggested that Fezzik learned what was going on while he was on the Brute Squad, just like he found out that Count Rugen was the Six-Fingered Man, and tells Inigo in the infodump that results in him fainting into his gruel.
Jabroniville

Fezzik

Post by Jabroniville »

"I AM HERE.... BUT SOON... *YOU* WILL NOT BE HERE!!!!"

Westley: Give us the gate key.
Yellin: I have no gate key.
Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, tear his arms off.
Yellin: Oh, you mean *this* gate key.
\

FEZZIK
Role:
The Big Guy, Powerhouse, Friendly Giant
Played by: Andre "The Giant" Rousimoff
PL 8 (79), PL 9 (79) vs. Groups & With Thrown Rocks
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 4 (+3)
Expertise (Mercenary) 2 (+1)
Expertise (Rhymes) 3 (+2)
Intimidation 13 (+12, +13 Size)
Ranged Combat (Rocks) 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Powers:
"Giant" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Long Arms" Reach 1 [1]

"Used to Fighting Groups of Men"
Enhanced Fighting 2 (Flaws: Limited to While Fighting Groups) [2]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Takedown 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Against Groups +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Thrown Rocks +11 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (+8 vs. Groups, DC 16-18), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Money)- Fezzik was unemployed in Greenland when Vizzini found him. He doesn't like the act of kidnapping girls (or killing them), but he doesn't have a lot of options. He joins the Brute Squad for the same reason.
Relationship (Inigo Montoya)- The two become fast friends, though don't share all that much, and aren't exactly tender pals (witness Fezzik's attempts to get Montoya sobered up).
Responsibility (Too Strong For His Own Good)- Fezzik is so mighty that even his intimidation tactics often leave people unconscious- he cannot pull his punches easily.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 14 (79)

-And here's Fezzik, played by the incomparable Andre the Giant. And seriously- who ELSE could have done this role? Sure he talks like he's carrying a dozen pool balls in his mouth, but very few tall people possess the sheer MASS required to be a real "Heavy"-type ruffian, or the ability to both be seen as incredibly kind and gentle-hearted, AND a fearsome threat (watch as he delicately handles Princess Buttercup and acts politely to Westley- who he COULD HAVE slaughtered mercilessly with his thrown rock; and then when he has to get brusque with people). I've read of fan interactions with Andre that were less than pleasant- an often grouchy drunkard in constant pain thanks to his medical conditions, Andre was one of the few wrestlers who COULDN'T go incognito, ever, being both famous across the world for his wrestling career, and too tall to just wear a big coat and hat. Therefore he was recognized and harassed by people EVERYWHERE- and the fans who got him on a bad day were often startled when he bellowed with a voice that could shake a mountain. Tall men are naturally intimidating to some people (I've known some tall guys who have to actually consciously try not to "loom" over others to avoid being seen as a relentless bully), but Andre combined natural charisma, his hideous physical appearance (he had WAY too many teeth, virtually resembling a creature from Attack on Titan) and sheer size to absolutely DOMINATE.

-Andre considered his role as Fezzik to be one of his proudest achivements (and he once kept the entire cast up late at night with a legendary booze-fest). And despite the fact that I can barely understand him for some of his dialogue (granted, he's being choked for part of it), like I said- nobody else could have done this role. Fezzik is basically a big dumb brute of limited skill (but good at rhyming), who nonetheless isn't THAT bad of a person, and is willing to help out where he can.

-Fezzik is a dominating physical presence, but notably loses to Westley, who manages to get behind the slow Giant and choke him out- he's just not used to fighting one man at this point in his life. He's strong enough to carry himself (500+ lbs.!) and three other people up a rope hanging from a huge cliff, stop a falling castle gate and throw in back up, and knock down a door with one solid shot (poor Inigo has to desperately shriek and scream for Fezzik's assistance). His size and brutish presence allows him to easily bully other people, and it combines with Westley's Reputation Benefit as The Dread Pirate Roberts to give us what is probably cinema's greatest example of a Mass Intimidation attempt. Strength 6 is FREAKISH on a human being, but his exaggerated strength in the film makes it clear that he's well-beyond what a human being could really do (effortlessly knocking a door down with an overhead thump when Inigo using all his strength repeatedly fails to budge it). Also he's somehow able to ride a horse (though you'll notice the Stunt Double is clearly not Andre's size- you'd think the animal handler on set was worried about a 6'10" 500-lb. man riding a medium-sized horse or something).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There's a TON of fun "Behind the Scenes" stuff with the Princess Bride cast. Like, Andre had a hard time learning his lines because English was his second language. Supposedly two things helped him learn his lines. At one point, when Andre was reading his lines too slowly, Mandy Patinkin actually SLAPPED him to get him to focus. Apparently everyone on set got real quite, but Andre focused, and started reading his lines faster. Later, the director actually recorded all of Fezzik's lines precisely the way he wanted them said, and Andre listened to them, memorized them, and practiced them. The result was Fezzik as he appeared on film and the rest is history.

M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

The documentary on Andre has some interviews with his Princess Bride co-stars. Apparently this man who was so strong in his prime that he could genuinely terrify pretty much any wrestler was in such a bad physical state and in so much pain when he filmed the movie that he couldn't even lift Robin Wright and she has to be attached to wires in the scenes where he was carrying her.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I understand that's pretty common with people with gigantism. I could be wrong though.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5