Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
EternalPhoenix

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Bloodstone! Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story! Warlord!)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Meanwhile I'm still wondering how the top of her outfit stays on when she's running, jumping, swordfighting, or whatever. There's no spirit gum in Skartoris, I'll wager.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Ken

Post by Ken »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:14 pm Meanwhile I'm still wondering how the top of her outfit stays on when she's running, jumping, swordfighting, or whatever. There's no spirit gum in Skartoris, I'll wager.
Same way everyone else keeps their loin-coverings from flying up and exposing their private bits. None of them appear to have the proper up, down and under, back up and down of a proper loincloth.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:19 pm
EternalPhoenix wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:14 pm Meanwhile I'm still wondering how the top of her outfit stays on when she's running, jumping, swordfighting, or whatever. There's no spirit gum in Skartoris, I'll wager.
Same way everyone else keeps their loin-coverings from flying up and exposing their private bits. None of them appear to have the proper up, down and under, back up and down of a proper loincloth.
Ah, the ol' Magic Skirt trick. Kinda wish we had that one in reality. It's a useful trick! :mrgreen:
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:11 pm A female, ginger, Russian ex-patriate who wears black? Maybe.
Yes, I noticed. In addition, both are tall, lithe, athletic and involved in hand-to-hand combat situations.

Just seemed like something wonderful to explore......
Jabroniville

Jennifer Morgan

Post by Jabroniville »

I was gonna say "of course this one has the most pics on ComicVine", but all the women dress like this.

JENNIFER MORGAN
Created By:
Mike Grell
First Appearance: Warlord #38 (Oct. 1980)
Role: Suddenly-Introduced Daughter, Sorceress
PL 9 (105)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 6 (+7)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Magic), Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 6, Ritualist, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Magic"
Deflect 10 (Extras: Ranged) (20) -- [22]
  • AE: Eldtritch Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: Force Field 7 (Extras: Affects Others 8) (15)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Eldritch Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2 (+9 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Travis Morgan- Father)- Jennifer travels to Skartaris in search of her father, and becomes a reliable defender.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 14 (105)

-I get the impression that either sales of Warlord were falling in 1980, or Grell realized he was running out of shit for his established female characters to do or ways to make them interesting, because 1980 saw the introduction of both Shakira the cat-girl, and Jennifer Morgan- Travis Morgan's suddenly-introduced daughter... who was a sorceress! Sporting the same silver-white hair as her father, Jennifer was sent to live with her aunt when her mother died in a car accident when the girl was only eight. Travis was reported dead in a plane crash only two years later, but was actually in Skartaris, and years later Jennifer learned of his survival when he randomly popped up on the surface world.

-Jennifer went on an expedition to Skartaris and finally saw her father again, but was shipwrecked before she could return home. Deimos, her father's arch-nemesis, soon discovered her, and he blanked out her mind to punish Travis. Deimos was beaten and Ashiya the Witch, a former ally of his, restored Jennifer's mind hoping to be taught how to use outside technology like Deimos had. She trained Jennifer in sorcery in exchange, and she rapidly learned new skills as the plot demanded them (some of the quickest magical learning ever). When Ashiya turned on the heroes, Jennifer was able to defeat her at her own magical game. A few comics I have feature her helping out her father, or training a boy who is clearly her half-brother Joshua (something only she seems to figure out).

-Jennifer, being a sorceress, has a completely different skillset than everyone else in the main cast, as she's not a great physical fighter but does a lot of damage at range. She's a PL 8 Blaster and PL 9 with a Force Field up, but is limited enough that she can only do one at a time- none of that "Invincible Spell-Slinger" stuff like Doctors Strange or Fate.
Jabroniville

Deimos

Post by Jabroniville »

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH!!! The BELLY-SHIRT!!! The little SLIPPERS!

DEIMOS
Created By:
Mike Grell
First Appearance: 1st Issue Special #8 (Nov. 1975)
Role: Evil Wizard, Fake Wizard, Recurring Nemesis
PL 7 (111)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 8 (+11)
Expertise (King) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 8 (+13)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 6, Ritualist

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (Travis Morgan)- Morgan has dealt Deimos many humiliating defeats, and Deimos holds an incredible grudge.
Motivation (Power)- Deimos wishes to conquer all of Skartaris- his ambition knows no bounds.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (111)

-An evil villain from the List of Stock Villains, Deimos is of the "Sorceror-King" archetype, sporting an incredibly ridiculous appearance. I mean, the belly-shirt is one thing, but the little booties? It was like Grell wanted to still show a ton of skin for his bad guy to fit his general costume motif, but still wanted a long cloak to suit the whole "Wizard" look, and so we have this pink belly-shirt with a cape in the back and tiny booties to show some leg. However, he has a secret- he's not ACTUALLY a sorcerer, but has mastered the Old Atlantean technology, and is using it to fake sorcery.

-In any case, Deimos is the ruler of Thera, and wanted to conquer all of Skartaris. However, he was unseated from power when Travis Morgan arrived in the land, and swore revenge- he's at the backdrop of most Warlord stories I've read, and his skills has made him highly survivable, as he's been killed several times- finally, he was resurrected as an actual wizard. His evils are great- he kidnapped Morgan's son Joshua and sent a clone to die in his place, forcing Morgan to kill what he thought was his own son. He also mind-wiped Morgan's daughter Jennifer, and only the machinations of one of Deimos's own minions saved her. One of the deaths that afflicted Deimos left him requiring darkness and human blood to survive, and ultimately he was reduced to a pathetic existance as a head with a hand attached. In one issue I have, Morgan gives him one final death, as they hit the surface world on Earth and Morgan prepares to kill him... but instead leaves him to a pack of wolves, which tear his body apart.

-Deimos never truly returned, but showed up in the Convergence event with a lot more power, using Brainiac to kill Travis Morgan and the other heroes and nearly destroying everything- he is only killed by a Parallax-controlled Hal Jordan.

-Deimos is no match physically for our heroes, and instead uses technology, gear, and minions to fight them. Atlantean Tech can be any number of things, effectively making Deimos a different challenge each time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Warlord! Machiste! Shakira! Jennifer Morgan!)

Post by Jabroniville »

The final page of Warlord- maybe Tara got resurrected then? I dunno- DC bio-writers continue to suck ass, lol.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:01 am
The final page of Warlord- maybe Tara got resurrected then?
Yep, and she's still alive in both Grell-written follow-up series. (Ironically, Morgan himself gets killed three-quarters of the way into the 2009-10 series, but this has been pretty much ignored in subsequent appearances of the characters.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I kinda loved it when they made Deimos the villain in that god-aweful Convergence event.
One of the very few things I actually liked about it.
Jabroniville

Claw the Unconquered

Post by Jabroniville »

CLAW THE UNCONQUERED (Valcan)
Created By:
David Michelinie & Ernie Chan
First Appearance: Claw the Unconquered #1 (May 1975)
Role: Conan Knock-Off
PL 8 (100)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Equipment 1 (Sword +3), Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Secret (Deformed Hand)- The demonic hand of Valcan's family marks them as demon-touched, and makes his identity impossible to hide without a glove.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 14 (100)

-The most obvious of DC's Conan the Barbarian knock-offs was probably Claw the Unconquered, who even LOOKS the same as Conan- his gimmick is that he's a powerful barbarian with a deformed red hand that can wield a magical claw. The book debuted in 1975 alongside 15 other new titles, meant to flood the market to compete with Marvel (who was now dominating marking share doing the same thing)- this tactic didn't work, as people didn't buy a lot of the new stuff, leading to the "DC Implosion" in 1978, which 86'd a ton of their line, including ol' Claw here.

-Claw is actually named Valcan, and hails from the realm of Pytharia- a generic Sword & Sorcery world that looks like Earth's prehistory- his first enemy is a generic evil Sorcerer-King who had murdered Claw's father (who had a deformed hand like his son). The reason for the claw-hand is that his father had made a deal with demons- everyone in their bloodline is thus cursed to have these hands. Claw is chosen by the gods of "Elder Light" to oppose the forces of chaos. Later stories revealed that Claw existed on the same world as the original Starfire (pre-Koriand'r)- both are "Eternal Champions of the Sornaii", but we never found out what this meant. Keith Giffen replaced Ernie Chan on art after seven issues, which soon shifted the book to have more science fiction elements. Claw was cancelled after only three years, then appeared in a back-up feature in Warlord (the successful Sword & Sorcery title) for a couple of years. The character took a thirty-year break until a 2008 Wonder Woman issue where he & Beowulf are ancient champions who ally with WW against a demon.

-Claw is a basic PL 8 version of Conan and other Sword & Sorcery-type guys.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Sidious wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:05 pm I kinda loved it when they made Deimos the villain in that god-aweful Convergence event.
One of the very few things I actually liked about it.
I found the side stories way better than the event itself. Convergence Shazam was a joy to read.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Re: Claw the Unconquered

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:08 pm
-Claw is a basic PL 8 version of Conan and other Sword & Sorcery-type guys.
What's kinda sorta interesting about him is that while he looks like a barbarian and acts like one, he's actually suffering from amnesia about having gone through a rather intensive and sophisticated training regimen. (He's annoyed to find this out, because it means that he's a pawn in someone else's game rather than being in control of his own life.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There was a modern version of Claw that appeared in the short lived Primal Force comic that came out after the Zero Hour event. It was meant to be the 'supernatural superheroes / exploring the dark corners of the DCU' book, but I bought it primarily because Red Tornado was on the team. The book was . . . not very good. In fact it was pretty bad. They never really explained much of anything, the enemies they fought were pretty lackluster, the characters weren't particularly compelling, it was pretty much a mess.

There, Claw was an antiques dealer who, via some shady practices, managed to get a hold of the severed hand of (I believe) one of the Claw bloodline, and it attached itself to him as part of a curse. He was the generic "angry most of the time but secretly sensitive" bad boy type, and there's a reason why I'm one of like 5 people who remember the book.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:41 pm There was a modern version of Claw that appeared in the short lived Primal Force comic that came out after the Zero Hour event. It was meant to be the 'supernatural superheroes / exploring the dark corners of the DCU' book, but I bought it primarily because Red Tornado was on the team. The book was . . . not very good. In fact it was pretty bad. They never really explained much of anything, the enemies they fought were pretty lackluster, the characters weren't particularly compelling, it was pretty much a mess.

There, Claw was an antiques dealer who, via some shady practices, managed to get a hold of the severed hand of (I believe) one of the Claw bloodline, and it attached itself to him as part of a curse. He was the generic "angry most of the time but secretly sensitive" bad boy type, and there's a reason why I'm one of like 5 people who remember the book.
I remember it existed. I remember reading it, too. Again, mostly because of Reddy. I have forgotten most of it. I recall there was a revamped version of the Jack O'Lantern character from the Global Guardians in the "Super Friends" comic.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

I remember Primal Force. It was one of the titles spun out of Zero Hour, along with Extreme Justice, Fate, Manhunter, and Starman. The fact only one of those titles lasted longer than a year and a half tells you something about the quality of them.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.