Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

KACL Staff

Post by Jabroniville »

K.A.C.L. STAFF:
-Frasier was initially imagined as more of a Work Com (like The Mary Tyler Moore Show or WKRP in Cincinatti), and so a cast of co-workers was created. Most of them didn't matter much aside from Roz, though there was often a SERIES of "KACL Bosses" to please. One owner was a gay man who thought Frasier was asking him out (leading to a classic Whacky Misunderstanding), while one manager was Kate Costas, a thuggish nasty type who I thought had a bad tan and '80s hair (turns out the actress was Cuban... but she still had '80s hair), but engaged in your classic "Slap Slap Kiss" lust-affair with Frasier, ending when she got transfered elsewhere. They got a big episode together when she flew to her new job, where they more or less came to terms with the fact that their relationship would never pan out.

Frasier also got a temporary partner in Mary, a stereotypically Sassy Black Woman character who ended up becoming a great success, even though her advice was all snap and not rooted in any kind of academia, irking Farsier tremendously (she ended up getting a job at a rival station, which was best for both people). Felicity Huffman (who every network on TV loves- she's one of those people who showed up EVERYWHERE until disaster struck during that "bribery to get kids into college" scandal) played a shrewish woman who worked there for a while, and even hooked up with Frasier, provoking a nasty argument with Roz, who hated her (this was when they were edging towards Roz falling for him). Nole Shemsky was a kind of generic office guy (he works in "Sales") who was usually seen quoting Star Trek or hitting on Roz in that off-putting "TV Nerd" sort of way. Father Mike was a "Nice Guy" religious host who really only got a few lines. There was Tooty, a Children's Storytime character too, who I recall got pretty successful, annoying everyone. One owner managed to turn KACL into a station for Latino Music after Frasier inadvertently convinced him to- leading to a Season Arc where all of the employees were fired and had to find other work.
Jabroniville

Gil Chesterton

Post by Jabroniville »

GIL CHESTERTON
Played By:
Edward Hibbert
Role: The Closeted Gay
PL 0 (13)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Fine Dining) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Radio Host) 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +1 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Relationship (Deb- Wife)- Gil's never-seen wife is a tough car mechanic.
Prejudice (Well, YOU Know...)- Gil's interests and behavior seem to indicate a certain... lifestyle.
Relationship (Bulldog Briscoe)- Despite being opposite in terms of personality, the two are confidantes at work, and often scheme together.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (13)

-Funnily enough, I actually never realized Gil actually WAS gay when I first watched the show. I mean, I wasn't clueless as to how obvious the hints were, but I actually assumed the gag was that he was merely extraordinarily effeminate and married to a "butch" woman. Retrospect (and a few later episodes that make it QUITE clear, like when he lurks around a gay bar or congratulates Frasier for "coming out") shows that no, he was just a gay man with a "beard" marriage to a lesbian.

-Gil is basically even snootier and MORE pompous than Frasier & Niles, effectively forming a contrast, going as far as to be a stereotypical homosexual (though both Cranes are likely to be mistaken for the same). As the resident Food Critic of KACL, he doesn't actually do that a lot on the show- he's just kind of a background co-worker who makes the occasional comment, and gets made fun of by the others. I love the scene where he says that "I always suspected that he (Frasier) went THE OTHER WAY..." and Roz sits there for a second confused, and just goes "Exactly which way would that BE?" He's generally your typical Unpleasable Critic otherwise. Gil was named after a school teacher of show producer Christopher Lloyd (not the actor).
Jabroniville

Bulldog

Post by Jabroniville »

BOB "BULLDOG" BRISCOE
Played By:
Dan Butler
Role: Wacky Prankster, Man-Whore
PL 1 (28)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+3)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Sports) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Pranks) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Radio Host) 4 (+7)
Insight 1 (+2)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +1 (DC 11), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Pranks)- Bulldog loves to play pranks, particularly on a stick-in-the-mud like the humorless "Doc", Frasier.
Addiction (Floozies)- Bulldog is a man-whore supreme, hitting on everything with legs.
Relationship (Roz Doyle)- Hitting on her for years, Bulldog finally managed to hook up with her in a low moment for Roz. Despite her disgust at herself, Roz found herself unable to break things off (Bulldog is apparently REALLY good in bed), and they had a fun belligerent relationship for a while, until she finally left him. Despite himself though, he actually fell for her, and tried repeatedly to win her back, playing it off like he was just jonesing for sex again. Roz saw through him, and let him down easy.
Responsibility (Coward)- Bulldog is terrified of physical violence to the point where he once pulled a pregnant woman, then HIS OWN MOTHER in front of him to avoid being shot.
Temper- "Where is it? Who would steal a pacifier from a kid? THIS STINKS! THIS IS TOTAL B.S.! THIS IS-- oh wait, I found it."

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (28)

-Frasier's most-antagonistic co-worker is the boorish, slovenly prankster on the Gonzo Sports Show at KACL, Bulldog Briscoe. He's also a man-whorish womanizer and sexual-harasser (as Roz well knows), but very big with the blue-collar crowd (like Martin, who's a big fan). Generally he was a great antagonist and insult-target for Frasier (whom Bulldog constantly pranked and teased) and Roz (who was always being felt up or hit on). He would take his fair share of lumps, getting slapped by various women (Frasier's bodyguard also once grabbed him by the carotid artery- "If I moved my thumb a quarter of an inch I could kill you right now" "I've never been so turn on in my LIFE!" *is dropped to the floor*), but would get just enough wins that he wasn't a total butt-monkey. He was so good a pranks that Frasier, tired of being his target, actually TEAMED UP with him to prank everyone else at the station, realizing he couldn't compete and instead wanted to punish everyone else for laughing (Frasier calls the police after Roz screams at the sight of a dead coworker by going "Hello, police? I'd like to report... the BEST PRANK EVER!").

-Bulldog's role actually built up over time, especially once he'd hooked up with a desperate Roz (who was going through a thing), and we even got a nice moment with him, as Roz (out of pity) allowed him to babysit her daughter- Bulldog confessed his love for her, but Roz (seeing that he was serious but not wanting to crush him) played it off like he was lying and just wanted to get into her pants, which he (realizing she wasn't interested) played along with, going all "HAH- ya got me!".

-Bulldog was fired from KACL in Season Six due to low ratings, going through a bad time (including much of the Roz stuff)- he ended up delivering pizzas and working in the mail room at KACL to make ends meet. Eventually, though, the writers tired of him and ran out of ideas, and so he disappeared from the show. Despite being a macho tough-guy type, he's actually a giant sissy, running from violence and being easily defeated by the angry boyfriends of the women he hits on. In a great casting gag, the piggish, man-whorish Bulldog was played by an openly-homosexual actor, Dan Butler.
Jabroniville

Kenny

Post by Jabroniville »

KENNY DALY
Played By:
Tom McGowan
Role: Submissive Boss
PL 0 (7)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Radio DJ) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Manager) 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:

Complications:
Responsibility (KACL)- Kenny is the Station Manager.
Relationship (Wife)- Kenny got divorced later on in the show, and suffered a mental breakdown as a result, seeking advice from Frasier.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (7)

-Kenny was the final "Boss" character we saw on the show (debuting in Season Five), and while not adversarial like the others were, he was probably best for the series after a point- they'd gone pretty much everywhere they could with the old characters (the Dragon Lady type, the immovable type who fires everyone, the Latino guy who wrecks the station by making it all Latino music, etc.), so they really just needed a normal, STABLE character for a while- one who wouldn't START drama, but merely be at the centre of it. Kenny was a bit of a loser, rarely confident in himself, and generally just did a lot of awkward things, despite being rather affable and likeable (ESPECIALLY compared to the other characters on the show). And sweated alot. Your typical TV Fat Guy, really, but a bit less of an idiotic slob, and he was a good "straight man" of sorts having to deal with all the other characters, which is why he lasted a lot longer than everyone else did. He ended up getting divorced and becoming a basket case (Frasier unknowingly dating his ex didn't help). By the show's end, he is no longer the manager, having rediscovered his "true calling" of being a Radio DJ.
Goldar

Re: Kenny

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:27 am Image

KENNY DALY
Played By:
Tom McGowan
Role: Submissive Boss
PL 0 (7)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Radio DJ) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Manager) 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:

Complications:
Responsibility (KACL)- Kenny is the Station Manager.
Relationship (Wife)- Kenny got divorced later on in the show, and suffered a mental breakdown as a result, seeking advice from Frasier.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (7)

-Kenny was the final "Boss" character we saw on the show (debuting in Season Five), and while not adversarial like the others were, he was probably best for the series after a point- they'd gone pretty much everywhere they could with the old characters (the Dragon Lady type, the immovable type who fires everyone, the Latino guy who wrecks the station by making it all Latino music, etc.), so they really just needed a normal, STABLE character for a while- one who wouldn't START drama, but merely be at the centre of it. Kenny was a bit of a loser, rarely confident in himself, and generally just did a lot of awkward things, despite being rather affable and likeable (ESPECIALLY compared to the other characters on the show). And sweated alot. Your typical TV Fat Guy, really, but a bit less of an idiotic slob, and he was a good "straight man" of sorts having to deal with all the other characters, which is why he lasted a lot longer than everyone else did. He ended up getting divorced and becoming a basket case (Frasier unknowingly dating his ex didn't help). By the show's end, he is no longer the manager, having rediscovered his "true calling" of being a Radio DJ.
Oh my, LOL! This poor guy is ALL zeroes! From PL to Strength to even willpower! :lol: :o :shock:
Jabroniville

Roz

Post by Jabroniville »

Best Wonder Woman- FIGHT ME!

ROZ DOYLE (Rosalinda Doyle)
Played By:
Peri Gilpin
Role: Blue-Collar Chick, The Easy One
PL 0 (27), PL 3 (27) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Radio Producer) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Persuasion 1 (+4, +6 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +4

Complications:
Addiction (Penis)
Reputation (Sleeps Around)- Even Roz pretty much admits she's easy ("condoms are only effective 99 out of 100 times! I CAN'T BEAT THOSE ODDS!"). Her friends give her a good joshing about it, but some women are much more hostile.
Relationship (Frasier Crane)- Roz & Frasier are close confidantes, but their different philosophies (he's a self-righteous snob; she's more rough-edged and vulgar) often cause friction. She remains one of his closest companions, and they're mostly like siblings. Except that time they slept together.
Relationship (Alice)- Roz ended up pregnant and a single mother halfway through the series, but still generally spent a ton of time at work and with her friends, since this is TV. Alice DOES show up a bit, though, so it's not like Ross Gellar's son on Friends.
Rivalry (Denise- Sister)- Roz resents her sister and her "perfect marriage" and ideal life.
Relationship (Father)- Roz's relationship with her father was ruined when he married a younger woman with whom she did not get along.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (27)

-Roz was an unusual side-character in the "platonic female friend" vein, a rough-around-the-edges street-smart woman, who handled most of the deadpan snarkiness and sarcasm that went Frasier's way, and was used as an exposition magnet for Frasier's problems at the time. I liked the character (that VOICE! My GOD!), especially as you didn't get "LOL you sleep around!" jokes that often on TV back then, and they had some pretty good arcs with her- notably when she broke down in tears over a longterm boyfriend leaving her on the air, and Frasier had to talk her down like a patient and a friend. And amazingly, they dealt with her relationship with Frasier in a quick bit when they slept together once, both immediately realizing it was a mistake and moving forward like nothing happened, rather than deal with nine seasons of Unresolved Sexual Tension and then Jumping the Shark when they pulled the trigger, or dropped it and forced them to hate each other for half the show (The "Ross And Rachel" Effect). Plus they already did a similar arc with Niles & Daphne.

-She shows the timer period of the show better than any other character- Frasier & Niles' suits generally fit in anywhere, as does Martin's old-school plaid. Daphne's a bit "90s Quirky Girl" at first with the baggy shirts and overalls, sure, but ROZ? Ross starts out with that god-awful late '80s Frizz Hair look, and often wears Lady Powersuits with the shoulder-pads and all that crap. Thank GOD I didn't hit puberty in the '80s, or I'd have killed myself. That crap stuck around during the early '90s on TV, but thankfully at some point somebody realized that Peri Gilpin was attractive and put her in nice clothing- she spent the last bunch of years on the show wearing the tightest jeans imaginable, sometimes even adding LEATHER BOOTS to the ensemble! That, plus the fact that she was an authentically-curvy woman in a Hollywood surrounded by sticks helped make the show a bit more pleasant to watch, if you know what I mean.

-Roz is just a half-competent bystander with some minor skills, nothing special. She's crafty enough to call out Frasier on most of his tendencies, though, and can be scary when necessary- this was what got Peri Gilpin the job over Lisa Kudrow, who couldn't play "tough" if her life depended on it. I wasn't going to give her Attractive, as she never really lies/seduces her way out of things with men (most of the men in the show actually describe her as a bit SCARY, like the terrified football player who feared the "crazy look in her eyes" when she bought him at a Bachelor Auction- Roz' predatory lunge at him scared the crap out of him), but then I realized that she's one of those characters for whom Attractive is almost more of a COMPLICATION than a benefit- it's not so much that she gets benefits with men, it's that she's penalized against WOMEN, many of whom detest her sleeping around (like Frasier's girlfriend Julia Wilcox in the second-last season). The only woman who likes her seems to be Daphne (possibly due to her real-life friendship with Jane Leeves; the two are neighbors and godmothers to each others' children).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:06 am Oh my, LOL! This poor guy is ALL zeroes! From PL to Strength to even willpower! :lol: :o :shock:
LOL, yeah- sitcom characters, especially the side ones, are usually gonna be the most "Bystander"-y of bystanders.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Cheers! Sam & Diane! NORM! Woody! Frasier!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:44 pm Something from the Frasier wiki regarding the episode where Diane came back:
This is one of Kelsey Grammer's favorite episodes. On Cheers, Shelley Long didn't like the Frasier character and lobbied hard to get Grammer removed from the show. The producers disagreed, noting that the audience liked him. When Long's character of Diane Chambers appeared on this show, Grammer said the episode was an opportunity for him and Long to make peace with each other.
This is another example of how acting is different from a lot of jobs. Imagine potentially losing your job because another actor "doesn't like your character" and "lobbied hard to get you removed from the show".
Yeah, it's a reminder of how Hollywood works- the old saying among writers is "In the first season, they work for you. In the second season, you work for them". Actors gotta do what you say at first (look at how much time Emilia Clarke spent naked getting railed in the first season of Game of Thrones before it hit big and she had real lobbying power), but after a while THEY'RE calling the shots, because a popular character leaving a show is disastrous and they know it, so producers & writers know to keep them happy.

And Cheers seemed like a comparatively healthy set, despite issues with Long and Grammer. There are MUCH worse stories. Sex & The City is a notorious one with the SJP/Cattral feud, but there's stuff like Moonlighting and others with the two leads in constant war with each other. The Nanny was notorious for Fran Drescher's horrendous behavior and line-stealing: what I've heard is that actors would deliberately bomb dress rehearsal because if a line killed too much, Fran would immediately demand the writers rewrite the scene to switch that line to her.

This can sometimes be used benevolently- in the build-up to Frasier, Kelsey Grammer was unsure about this "Jane Leeves" chick and her being right for his show. So he took her into a room with just the two of them to run through some dialogue- a couple minutes later he just stomps out and goes "She's in".

Though Shock has a point- people with power in jobs can screw over those beneath them... but it's just usually not your direct coworkers who have the ability to lobby against you and get you turfed. It'd have to be management (in this case, the producers or worse- the NETWORK, which is just as notorious for making demands that can alter the course of someone's life. Cheers Writer Ken Levine talks about having to fire the love interest on Almost Perfect (a short-lived sitcom he co-created) because the network demanded that in the second season, the main girl be single and dating. Just like that, that man lost his job on the whims of a network. And the show died in that season anyways.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:16 am
Goldar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:06 am Oh my, LOL! This poor guy is ALL zeroes! From PL to Strength to even willpower! :lol: :o :shock:
LOL, yeah- sitcom characters, especially the side ones, are usually gonna be the most "Bystander"-y of bystanders.
Oh, for sure, but I don't think even Aunt May would be entirely zeroes!

That guy's a loser, lol!
Jabroniville

Martin Crane

Post by Jabroniville »

MARTIN CRANE
Played By:
John Mahoney
Role: Blue-Collar Guy
PL 0 (28), PL 2 (28) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Police Officer) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Korean War Soldier) 2 (+3)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Sidekick 3 (Eddie the Dog)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Crippled)- Martin was crippled by a thief's bullet, and was forced to retire from the police force. He walks with a pronounced limp, and cannot get around without his cane.
Relationship (Frasier & Niles- Sons)- The Cranes' blue-collar dad has little patience for most of their antics and obsessions, and thinks both are too pretentious for their own good. Their relationships have been distant for years before the show began, and frought with arguments, especially once the boys' mother died. Frasier & Martin in particular have a rough go of things, living together in Martin's senior years. They have frequent spats, and often despise their living arrangements. Martin retains some pride in their intelligence and accomplishments however, and seems well-suited to soothing their nerves when they're made fun of ("who wants ice cream?").
Relationship (Chair)- Martin's easychair is a source of strife with Frasier. Martin loves it and finds great comfort in it due to a long history ("I want the chair I was sitting in when you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair your mother used to kiss me awake in when I fell asleep watching TV").
Enemy (Lilith, Maris)- For a while, THESE two were Martin's daughters-in-law. Maris is annoying and troublesome, while Lilith is just FRIGHTENING. Both broke his sons' hearts, and so Martin doesn't care for either one of them.
Relationship (Various Girlfriends, Finally Ronnee)- He was close to the brassy, loud Sherry for a while, but split up when she revealed that she didn't want to get married. He marries Ronnee in the final seasons.
Relationship (Eddie)- Martin's closest friend is his little dog, Eddie. He even broke up with a woman because her dog dominated and, once, humped him.
Accident (Overhearing the Wrong Thing or Being Overhead Incorrectly)- This is common to all Frasier characters, and generally resolves itself in some sort of climax.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (28)

-Martin was another great addition to Frasier, being a "regular guy" to dish out the old-fashioned humor and gags, opposed to the pretentious humor of his sons- he's also an excellent contrast to the stuffed shirts they've become in adulthood. The fact that he was often depicted as brighter than his kids (at least more level-headed) also helped out. Probably one of the most well-done "old guy" characters ever, largely thanks to the way he argues with his son- the two have this backdrop of caring for each other, but are SO different that they can't help but disagree about everything. Martin also produces some of the greatest touching moments of the series, scolding his boys for being rude to their social "inferiors", being interviewed at the parole hearing of the guy who crippled him ("I've got nothin' to say" after having a long, friendly conversation with the man's mother), or holding his dog extra tightly after a child innocently asked when Eddie is going to "Dog Heaven" once he explains death to her.

-And while he argued with his kids, there were moments of brilliance- like when he freaked out on Niles for assuming Martin was ashamed of the boys because of how they turned out, or when he pretended that HE was the one who had an affair, and not their mother, because he didn't want to ruin their perception of her memory. It's actually really apparent looking back just HOW good John Mahoney was in this role- he could be a snarky smart-ass at times, act disappointed, and then show some REAL emotion and hurt in his voice during those moments when his sons REALLY piss him off. Then there's the occasional bits where he tries to make them feel better, like when they're upset because Niles is getting acromoniously divorced and Frasier has been dumped by a sexy girl ("I'll be ripped apart and devoured like an ANIMAL!!", "And I WON'T be!"), and Martin just brings them to get ice cream like the old days. Or that HILARIOUS look on his face when the boys ask him if they're weird, and you just see the dad of two young boys looking at them, going "You're not weird- You're SPECIAL!". And his reaction to Roz's "Dirty secret" is spectacular- he doesn't say a single word, but the look of abject horror on his face is perfect, as he motors out of the room (using his CANE!), then takes one long, horrified look at her before taking his leave.

-Martin's a retired cop, and still has most of the old mental skills for it (high Awareness, Skills), but lacks the physical gifts, especially once a bullet took his mobility from him. And of course he has his loyal Jack Russel Terrier, Eddie, for companionship (though really, all the dog did was stare at Frasier).

EDDIE
Played by:
Moose (Seasons 1-9), then Enzo (10-12)
Role:[/b] Family Pet
PL 0 (11), PL 3 (11) Defenses- Minion Rank 1, Sidekick Rank 3
Normal Version:
PL 1
STRENGTH -3 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]
Features 1: +8 to Winning Staring Contests [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +1 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Natural Weapons +1 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness -1, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Martin)- Domestic dogs are intensely loyal to their masters, and will fight to the death to protect them.
Weakness- Dogs are utterly incapable of lying. Their entire body reflects their current mood. Just watch them if you notice your lamp is broken, and you will know who did it.
Enemy (Lilith)- Eddie can detect Lilith from a mile away, and is horribly frightened of her.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 1 (11)
Jabroniville

Niles

Post by Jabroniville »

"HOW... DARE YOU!"

Niles: Fifteen years with Maris, I end up in bed with her lover.
Martin: Gee, I didn't need to hear that!
Niles: No, no, it was an accident. It was pitch dark, I thought he was Maris.
Frasier: It's a natural mistake... what tipped you off?
Niles: ... The heat from her side of the bed! [they all laugh]

DR. NILES CRANE
Played By:
David Hyde Pierce
Role: Snootier Version of Frasier, Snob
PL 0 (45), PL 2 (45) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Art) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Psychiatrist) 6 (+10)
Expertise (History) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 6 (+10)
Expertise (High Culture) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Dancing) 3 (+5)
Expertise (Piano) 4 (+6)
Perception 1 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (Wealth), Languages (A Few)

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Helping People)- Niles, much like Frasier, is a dedicated therapist. However, he loves providing care to lawyers, as "their health care is excellent, and they never get better!"
Motivation (Snobbery & Standing)- Frasier & Niles are both obsessed with their social status, and are constantly looking to impress their social peers. Because of this, both men are prone to lying and exaggerating, and will do ANYTHING to save face.
Motivation (The Finer Things)- Whether it's watching foreign Throat-Singers, going to the opera, or drinking wine, Frasier & Niles MUST have the very best, and the very trendiest. The more exclusive, the better. Anything "common" will horrify them ("I can't believe we're drinking this... oh my GOD... it's just labeled 'WINE'!"). Niles once slapped Frasier for suggesting they go to a place where they don't even NEED a reservation.
---
Relationship (Frasier- Brother)- Frasier & Niles are as close in personality as can be, yet are intense rivals, as both constantly seek to one-up the other. Upon the discovery of something one has, the other will immediately move to better it. This extends to nearly every aspect of their lives, but especially the "Finer Things" Complication above, such as position in their Wine Club. Frasier is a snob, but still finds himself less of one that his fancy-ass, wilting brother.
Relationship (Martin- Father)- The Cranes' blue-collar dad has little patience for most of their antics and obsessions, and thinks both are too pretentious for their own good. Their relationships have been distant for years, and frought with arguments, especially once the boys' mother died.
Relationship (Maris)- Niles' ex-wife was a domineering, vicious, needy woman, who kept Niles on a short leash and had him purely emasculated and whipped. She tortured him mentally for years until he was finally able to break free. Her vast wealth (at least Benefit 3 or 4) and position in society often hampered his own social progress once he was free of her.
Relationship (Mel)- Niles briefly dated the sweet-seeming plastic surgeon, and married her on the spur of the moment. However, she soon grew controlling and nasty, and soon he ran off with Daphne. Mel, deeply hurt, sought to torture Niles as a result.
Rivalry (Roz)- Niles & Roz bicker endlessly- he bothers her with his fussiness even more than Frasier does, and he views her as a "backalley", trashy sort.
---
Relationship (Daphne)- Niles fell in lust with Daphne the moment he saw her, and it has only grown since then. For years, he was tortured by Maris and fawned over Daphne, until they were finally brought together and married.
Rivalry (Frederick)- Niles and his nephew both maintained crushes on the beautiful Daphne, which often left Freddie smirking when he went in for "innocent hugs". He claimed to have gotten over it later, but Niles refused to let the matter drop ("You're just jealous that *I* got her, you little--" "NILES!!").
Responsibility (Clueless About Sports & "Common" Things)- Niles is possibly even less-athletic than Frasier, once referring to "a football ball".
Accident (Overhearing the Wrong Thing or Being Overhead Incorrectly)- This is common to all Frasier characters, and generally resolves itself in some sort of climax.
Phobia (Blood)- Niles will pass out at the sight of blood, especially his own.
Allergy (Hay Fever, Cats, Wheat Germ, Oat Bran, Carob, Sea Scallops, Cumin, Rose-Hips, Jerusalem Artichokes, Parchment Mites, Pine Trees, Spackle, Nutmeg)- The latter inflames his stomach lining.
Reputation (Coward)- Niles generally avoids confrontation, which is especially notable in his timidity around women.
Phobia (Insects)- "What was that- A HUMMINGBIRD!!??"
Phobia (Authority Figures)
Power Loss (Lying)- Niles' nose will bleed if he breaks his ethical code, preventing Deception checks should people who are aware of this foible spot him.
Motivation (Rebellion)- Niles, having followed the rules and avoiding conflict for most of his life, occasionally bristles against this and goes out rebelling. He once gleefully got "stoned" (he thought he ate pot brownies), and got the "Munchies" (culminating by combining a Chilean seabass with an aggressive zinfandel). Another time, he took to wearing leather and dating a crazy girl.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (45)

-Part of the success of Frasier was its supporting cast, especially Niles. One of the problems with using a smart, well-to-do type like Frasier as a MAIN CHARACTER is it dehumanizes him to the audience. So what better than to add a character that's like Frasier, but even MORESO, just so we see Frasier as a more "normal" choice? Add to that the most well-done "Unseen Cast Member" ever in Maris Crane, and his own massive crush on Daphne (with that AMAZING episode where they did the tango in front of all his rich peers- in a brilliant twist, he confessed his love for her, but Daphne assumed he was playing up for his friends and did the same, then praised his "acting" afterwards), and you've got a brilliant concept. Hell, you could've practically spun NILES off of Frasier at show's end and kept things going another nine years! Not bad for a character who was added entirely because someone saw his headshot and was like "Doesn't he look exactly like Kelsey did ten years ago?".

-Ken Levine specifically says that David Hyde Pierce is the most-talented actor he's ever worked with, and I can see it- how many actors could play such a pretentious, fussy snob, only to react with differing amounts of glee, rage, depression, stiff-upper-lippedness, and any other sort of emotion? He even passes one of the best "Actor Tests"- "If you want to spot a good actor, watch what they're doing when it's NOT their turn to speak"- Niles is often seen staring fondly at Daphne during every non-speaking moment, for example, or reacting silently to how others behave. It's too bad Pierce never really found much other big-name work- but his slight build and receding hairline, in addition to being typecast, kind of limited him. He himself was unsure about playing Niles, having read the first script and been horrified that they'd just made "another Frasier". Only during the table reading did he realize that Niles was an EXAGGERATED Frasier- the man he would have been had he never found Cheers in Boston.

-Niles is Frasier's mental equal in every way, but is physically much tinier and weak, also possessing less courage, having been long-ground under his first wife's heel. He gets a few ranks in Perform (Dancing) for that BRILLIANT episode where he & Daphne did the Tango. Both Niles & Frasier are good Psychiatrist builds for supporting characters in any case, being very good at what they do, and having a multitude of Skills behind them. Both are absolute weenies in combat, though, especially poor Niles, who faints at the sight of blood. And despite being a good shrink, he lacks Presence, being a Nervous Nellie most of the time, particularly if Daphne is involved.
M4C8

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Frasier! Roz! Martin! Niles!)

Post by M4C8 »

I never knew until recently that John Mahoney was British.

Oh and yes I remember genuinely laughing at Niles 'hummingbird' line.
Last edited by M4C8 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Maris

Post by Jabroniville »

image not found

MARIS CRANE
Played By:
Nobody
Role: The Unseen Character, Basket Case
PL 0 (14), PL 2 (14) Stealth
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (High Culture) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+2)
Stealth 12 (+12)

Advantages:
Attractive, Benefit 3 (Wealth)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness -2, Fortitude -2, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Niles)- Maris was a cruel, controlling woman, often keeping Niles at beck-and-call, dominating his entire life. When he refused to get back together with her, she tried to sue him into oblivion, and when they tried to patch things up, she cheated on him WITH THEIR MARRIAGE COUNSELOR.
Allergy (Numerous)- She thinks her chocolate allergy permits her to park in a handicapped space.
Responsibility (Anorexic)- A formerly-chubby girl, Maris' "Ideal Weight" horrified Frasier, who was certain that nobody could maintain that kind of weight and live (possibly 45 pounds, 18 ounces). She once sat on a whoopee cushion without setting it off, and Roz once mistook her for a HAT RACK.
Secret (Family Fortune)- Maris' family fortune comes not from logging (as would be common amongst Seattle "Old Money"), but urinal cakes. Fear over this discovery coming out led to her accepting Niles' conditions for their divorce.
Disabled (Physically-Unfit)- Maris has unusually-tight quadriceps ("she can't straddle anything larger than a border collie") and a rigid spine. She cannot produce saliva, gets hives, and has webbing on her fingers and toes that result in her not wanting to touch others. She has had a great deal of plastic surgery, is hypoglycemic and allergic to roses.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (14)

-Maris was such an incredible character that she managed to not only have a full-blown personality despite NEVER BEING SEEN ON CAMERA ONCE, but she effectively replaced Norm's wife Vera from Cheers as the ultimate "Ghost Character" on television. Niles' controlling, shrewish wife, she became the subject of numerous gags about how fussy and neurotic she was, and everyone OTHER than Niles saying horrible things about her. Though initially Martin implied that LILITH was weirder than Maris, the writers added more and more insane foibles onto her character to the point where no possible actress could have portrayed her. The long-term goofiness of hers and Niles' relationship started out being hilarious, but became more tragic as time went on, as it became clear that Niles was in a psychologically-abusive relationship (this also made it more acceptable that he was in love with Daphne at the same time). It actually got pretty sad watching Niles being controlled that way, and even more when Maris would cheat on him and then threaten to destroy him.

-She ended the series in exile, having killed her violent boyfriend in self-defense- Niles said a poetic "Goodbye Maris", effectively saying goodbye to the character in the final season.
EternalPhoenix

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Frasier! Roz! Martin! Niles!)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

I applaud your restraint in not simply giving her visual concealment. :mrgreen:
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Jabroniville

Lilith

Post by Jabroniville »

(Lilith sits down on the sofa, and immediately Eddie runs up and begins staring at her)
Lilith: .... Go away. (Eddie runs off)
Frasier: Now why does he listen to you and not to me?
Lilith: Well, by the tone of my voice he can sense that I mean BUSINESS.
Frasier: Oh, I see- you're saying that YOUR voice is more commanding than MINE is? (smirks)
Martin: Hell, I took a half a step before I realized she was talkin' to the dog!

---

Lilith: Well, I'm off. I don't know what the future holds. Whatever happens, I only hope I can realize my full potential. To acquire things the old Lilith never had.
Carla: Like a body temperature?
Lilith: That's very good, Carla. Incidentally, I've taken your little wisecracks for a few years now, you hideous gargoyle, and if you ever open that gateway to hell you call a mouth in my direction again, I'll snap off your extremities like dead branches and feed them to you at gunpoint.

DR. LILITH STERNIN (nee Lilith Sternin-Crane)
Played By:
Bebe Neuwirth
Role: The Ice Queen
PL 0 (25), PL 2 (25) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 5 (+4, +6 Attractive)
Expertise (Behavioral Scientist) 6 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 1 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+3, +5 Attractive)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (Wealth)

Powers:
"Takes Her Hair Down" Enhanced Advantages 1: Attractive (Flaws: Limited to When Hair is Down and Wearing Non-Lilith Clothes) [0.5]

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Frasier)- Lilith and Frasier lusted after each other for years, but she was always a bossy, controlling woman, who often disrespected Frasier's Freudian nature. Eventually, she cheated on and left Frasier for a guy who lived in an Eco-Pod. They took years to sow a relationship back together, this time as confidantes and friends.
Relationship (Niles)- Lilith never quite got along with Niles, and things only got more awkward when he fell for her charms when she was lonely and desperate.
Relationship (Frederick- Son)- Lilith has somehow managed to raise a normal, if eggheaded, son, despite being so odd herself.
Secret (Basket Case)- Though she exudes icy superiority, Lilith is as nuts as anyone, and often craves acceptance and recognition that she is a beautiful woman. Because of this, she has seduced both Frasier and Niles on separate occasions.
---
Prejudice (Pale)- Lilith is excessively pale, provoking both entertaining jokes at her expense, and various other maladies ("tell me about it", she tells a similarly-pale guy played by Brent Spiner, "when I don't get enough sleep, I have to put liquid paper under my eyes").
Responsibility (Deadpan)- Lilith is a rather emotionless, cold woman, creating tension in the relationships around her. She generally responds with either hostility or stern intimidation (Eddie is so afraid of her that he doesn't even like to go into BUILDINGS with her in them), and seems to have no feelings whatsoever. Niles once quipped that if you kiss her "you get an ice cream headache".
Responsibility (Lethal Chef)- People can't even tell what Lilith's making, even when she prepares lasagna ("I wasn't even THINKING 'Italian'!", says an exasperated Frasier).

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 23--11.5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0.5 / Defenses: 0 (25)

-You know, of all the "Hotness Cliches" out there, among the silliest may be the "girl takes her hair down, and is magically more beautiful". And then Bebe Neuwirth comes in and SHOWS WHY THAT WORKS, revealing this wicked-hot body in slinky nighties after years of being this sexless ghost. I mean, it is UNCANNY. It makes sense, though- she IS an attractive woman, and Neuwirth is a Broadway dance star and thus has a dancer's physique- it's just her unnatural skin colour and severe suits and haircut that disguise her. Ken Levine points out that in no uncertain terms Neuwirth was THE hottest woman on the Cheers set.

-Neuwirth is REALLY good as Lilith, too- a truly unique character. Very few characters maintain this kind of emotionless facade, and fewer still can portray her moments of faltering emotions as well as she could. She alternates between sly, unmovable figure and a complete emotional wreck so well that it NEVER feels out of character, and her cruel, cutting monotone is fantastically snarky.