[OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator (Recruiting 1)

Post by Sakuro »

With two thirds of the people in your group at risk of getting infected, I'm sure running away and avoiding a fight seemed like a good idea. I was hoping you would. Circumstances would have been much different had you not taken out the shroom-creature.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Simply a matter of self-preservation as Aiden was close to it and would have been breathing that mess before too long.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Running away in general was probably the best action, but that also would have resulted in not enough money to buy a car and other transportation issues. Better ones to have than lighting up on Strongholds radar however.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

mrdent12 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:58 am Running away in general was probably the best action, but that also would have resulted in not enough money to buy a car and other transportation issues. Better ones to have than lighting up on Strongholds radar however.
Yes, running away after it was clear that there were 5 abominations (one which could spew a large AoE noxious cloud and another with a claw that could tear open nearby buildings) was almost certainly the optimal solution. But prior to that, we are on a time sensitive mission with many hours of repairs that need to be done on an automobile that we just spent a considerable amount of money on...one that could have also been destroyed if we abandoned it unnecessarily. How does the situation change if only one abomination emerges (and one that is not so dangerous as the cloud-spewer and building-render?) Would it have been worth fleeing then? Especially if it had taken off to devour some of the nearby civilians and failed to notice a hidden group several units down? There was a lot going on at the time. Fleeing was still a viable option after the creatures emerged. It was not perfectly clear that it needed to be done prior to that given what we knew at the time.

Was Aiden's decision to decloak and paste the abominations wrong? No. It was not the optimal decision, but in hindsight it was viable. Of course we only know was viable because we managed to scratch and claw our way to a reasonably successful mission. Had it drawn so much government attention that soldiers were assigned to every Las Vegas street corner, then we might not have been able to bring the mission to a successful conclusion.

John is probably more forgiving of "war time" or "operational mistakes" than others. As a soldier he knows how unexpected events can make even meticulous plans go horribly wrong. Even though it's a Marine slogan (and not an Army one), it holds true: Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. The team managed to do that with everyone contributing in at least some way. John's perception is that he himself contributed the least (and has contributed the least over two missions). That's part of the reason he feels like he is not worth keeping on the team.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

My position has always been that we should have bailed as soon as John saw the man running away from his post. The man was security, and the situation has to be really bad for him to desert his post so definitively. There were way too many possibilities that would ruin the mission. Any illegal activity or even a fire crashes the mission if we are still at the storage facility.

It was when John revealed that he saw the man running that set off Aiden. Before that, he was just freaked out and venting a bit. Aiden deemed ignoring that as utter incompetence and not mentioning any of the situation going outside to Iona and Aiden as worse.
Supernaturalist

kenseido wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:55 pm My position has always been that we should have bailed as soon as John saw the man running away from his post. The man was security, and the situation has to be really bad for him to desert his post so definitively. There were way too many possibilities that would ruin the mission. Any illegal activity or even a fire crashes the mission if we are still at the storage facility.

It was when John revealed that he saw the man running that set off Aiden. Before that, he was just freaked out and venting a bit. Aiden deemed ignoring that as utter incompetence and not mentioning any of the situation going outside to Iona and Aiden as worse.
I never inferred that he was security. I thought he was just some slovenly dressed dude with something to hide. Maybe I missed a post that said he was security, but I thought it said somewhere that he was frumpy or something to that effect. My sense was that he was some guy engaged in criminal activity, but again I could be wrong.
Supernaturalist

I should be able to get up a post for both Iona and John tomorrow.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:59 amI never inferred that he was security. I thought he was just some slovenly dressed dude with something to hide. Maybe I missed a post that said he was security, but I thought it said somewhere that he was frumpy or something to that effect. My sense was that he was some guy engaged in criminal activity, but again I could be wrong.
He was clearly the lookout and tried to scare John off when he started looking too curious.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

People miss things. It's a PC vs player knowledge type thing. Players might see a situation and view it one way. The PC dependant on their back story would see it the proper way maybe. Its why PCs have the expertise rolls. I've been guilty of not using Diegos enough.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

In the end, it doesn't matter. I am sorry I even brought it up.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

If you aren't certain about something, but think your character might have a better idea about it, throwing out a roll and asking the storyteller for input is a valid thing to do.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I would suggest that sometimes a player is sure but wrong; so occasionally the GM should ask for a roll or make a secret roll and provide the information as indicated.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

That is something a storyteller needs to feel out.

Before you three think about critiquing my storytelling and giving advice ... don't. I'm not as open to that.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Should we sort out over OOC which course of action to take or let it play out IC?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

It is an in character decision. Play it out in character. Don't feel rushed as players (your characters should feed the need to act quickly, however). The game isn't about rushing from action scene to action scene. I'm throwing problems at you, yes, but the in-between matters. Social interactions matter.