Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Rebello

Post by Jabroniville »

REBELLO
Created By:
Otto Binder & John Sikela
First Appearance: Superboy #72 (April 1959)
Role: Robot Replacement

-Though this issue of Superboy has the Lana Lang story on the cover, the lead story is Rebello- The Human Robot, in which Superboy builds a robot that is "too perfect", and thus tries to take his place as both Superboy and Clark Kent.
Jabroniville

Lori Lemaris

Post by Jabroniville »

LORI LEMARIS
Created By:
Bill Finger & Wayne Boring
First Appearance: Superman #129 (May 1959)
Role: Relic Character, Superboy's Girlfriend
Group Affiliations: Atlantis
PL 8 (88)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (World Traveler) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mermaid Physiology"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Swimming 6 [6]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]
"Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Telepathy -- (+8 Mind-Reading, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Superman)- Lori and Clark Kent were deeply in love while in college, but they split when she revealed that she was from a different world.
Secret (Mermaid)- Lori rarely told anyone but Clark of her true nature. Most often, she appeared as a crippled girl in a wheelchair.
Responsibility (The Undersea World)- Lori is occasionally an ally of Aquaman and his ilk.
Involuntary Transformation (Mermaid/Human)- In the Post-Crisis World, Lori changes to human when on land, and to a mermaid when in water.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 5 (88)

-Lori Lemaris is one of those old relic characters unfortunately seems too stuck in the 1960s era- comics is missing goofy characters like this. She was introduced as "The Girl In Superman's Past"- in which college student Clark Kent fell in love with a wheelchair-bound girl named Lori, who of course turned out to be a MERMAID. As Mermaids are famously a part of Historical Fanservice (sailors used to profess seeing nude mermaids casting our siren calls), it seemed like this was another "Idealized Girlfriend" character, with the writers cleverly giving her the "Double-L" name so common in the Superman Mythos.

-The relationship had moved forward in college, but Lori rebuffed Clark's marriage proposal, as she had to return to her "native country". Finally, Clark realized her secret, while she revealed her people's telepathic powers, making her one of the handful of people who knew that Clark was Superman. They part as friends, realizing they could never marry.

-Lori reappeared in many Silver Age Superman comics, but was killed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, largely because Marv Wolfman & George Perez wanted to "de-silly" a lot of the DC Universe, which included getting rid of characters like "Clark Kent's Mermaid Ex-Girlfriend". Unfortunately, this kind of thing took the heart out of DC for a long time- the whimsy and "silly" stuff was kind of part of DC's intrinsic nature, and something was missing without it. Of course, leave it to John Byrne to IMMEDIATELY bring her back, as a new Lori appeared in the 1986 Superman series, and copied the same origin (looks like he even kept her in the sane outfit). See, even HE realized this was a pointless thing to take away, even as he was "Marvel"-izing DC's biggest hero! As Jack of Spades pointed out last time I posted Lori, a healthy DC universe has room for Clark Kent's Mermaid ex-girlfriend- it's a litmus test as to whether or not your "version" of DC keeps the heart of it.

-In the Post-Crisis Era, Lori could gain legs while on land, copying the powers of Madison, the mermaid from the hit 1984 movie Splash. She provided some romantic drama between Lois & Clark (since she's Clark's ex), but largely vanished during the grittier '90s. She failed to show up in most of the Aquaman books either, despite being a Tritonian (relatives of Atlanteans) by this point. She was thought-killed in the Infinite Crisis event as a mere random casualty (alongside poor Neptune Perkins and some other aquatic characters), but popped up in a book a year or two later. She hasn't shown up in ten years by this point.

-Characters like this... they definitely have a place. While DC likes to be up its own ass with grittiness at times, I really think that the "Goofy Silver Age" stuff is part of the HEART of DC Comics, and things like Lori are what belong there.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Superman Builds! Metropolis! Kryptonite!)

Post by Ares »

Yeah, in a universe where Aquaman is a member of the Justice League and mermaids are a real thing, it seems sillier to get rid of a fun character like Lori than to keep her around. Comics need drama to give the characters some pathos and humanity, but they also need to have fun stuff like this.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Superman Builds! Metropolis! Kryptonite!)

Post by Ken »

In the Inferior Five there was a nice tribute to Lori.

Awkward Man (the I5's strong man) was the son of two Liberty Brigade members: Mr. Might and the Mermaid. Mr. Might was a Superman-expy (being Barb-el from the planet Neon); the Mermaid was basically the LB expy for Aquaman, and at the same time a Lori Lemaris expy.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

J. Wilbur Wolfingham

Post by Jabroniville »

J. WILBUR WOLFINGHAM
Created By:
Don Cameron & Ira Yarbrough
First Appearance: Superman #26 (Feb. 1944)
Role: Con-Man
Group Affiliations: None
PL 2 (38)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 1 (+5)
Stealth 5 (+5)

Advantages: 
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (38)

-J. Wilbur Wolfingham is a classic sort of Golden Age villain- in a time where books could be amusing and the "trick" of the short story was more important than a dramatic fight scene, never mind that Superman was almost impossible to harm, a sneaky con-man was as good a villain as any. Visually based entirely off of actor/comedian W.C. Fields Wolfingham appears as a businessman at first, but it soon becomes clear he's a "confidence" man, tricking people into giving him their money. Superman frequently investigates his crimes and punishes the villain in amusing ways or just has him arrested or whatever. He appears off and on throughout the 1940s and into the early 1950s, but eventually disappears, going straight as he realizes that fooling Superman is impossible.

-Interestingly, Wolfingham returns in the Bronze Age (making him an alternate universe version) again conning people- in one book he appears to have sold the EARTH to aliens ("How could you sell the Earth to taht alien!?" "Cash down, m'boy! Only way to do business!"). He appears in my very first DC book, a Who's Who of J & K names, causing me to always think of him as a bigger deal than he actually was. He vanishes Post-Crisis, not fitting into the new DCU, nor is he used even when writers add the whimsy back into Superman books, but he's shown up a couple of times in the 2000s, at one point appearing the same, but sounding a fair bit more like a certain wealthy U.S. president ("I am an expert on all things super!")- at this point, he's just a one-off gag.

-J. Wilbur Wolfingham is a good con-man, with +10 Deception to fool the rubes, but he's no match for the Man of Steel, who's often as clever and intelligent as he is strong.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Superman! Kryptonite! Ma & Pa Kent! Lori Lemaris!)

Post by Jabroniville »

It's funny- I was thinking "Superman wasn't doing so hot in the '90s, I bet" but then I remembered that they had FOUR Superman books running simultaneously for the entire decade, I think. When he died, each of the four had their own "Pretender Superman" (Cyborg, Eradicator, Steel, Superboy), and Our Worlds At War went through all four for MONTHS.

This puts Superman in rare territory- I think only Batman & Spider-Man equaled that feat. Even WOLVERINE, the most heavily-pushed and popular character of the '90s, only had one book for that decade, and at most two in later eras (though he was helped via a recurring X-Men role and by being the cover boy of 1/4 of Marvel Comics Presents each month). The Punisher managed three at his peak.
Ken

Post by Ken »

For a while, Supes had 5. They added Superman: the Man of Tomorrow in 1995 as a quarterly book. It ran from June 1995 to September 1999. As a quarterly book, it came out every 3 months, on the 13th week of the season - the so-called "Skip Week". Essentially, it made it so a Superman book came out EVERY week, instead of almost every week.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Space-Boy

Post by Jabroniville »

SPACE-BOY (Zall-Dix)
Created By:
Otto Binder & George Papp
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #264 (Sept. 1959)
Role: One-Off Bad Guy

-Space-Boy appears as a powerful alien who insists that Superboy change places with him. Like the later Solar Boy, he looks almost like a Legion of Super-Heroes character, and has only one appearance.
Jabroniville

Solar Boy

Post by Jabroniville »

SOLAR BOY
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & George Papp
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #269 (Feb. 1960)
Role: One-Off Bad Guy, Animal-Abuser

-Solar Boy shows up for a one-off story in 1960 as a "new master" for Krypto, who flies off into space after Superboy reprimands him for playing super-pranks. Wanting to find a new master after this, Krypto finds Solar Boy, who appears in a green costume with a sunburst logo on the chest, but his new master is a sadistic tormentor who deliberately tortures the dog- the cover of the comic features him taunting Krypto with images of the doghouse Superboy built for him on the moon. Obviously, Krypto returns. The "Solar Boy" name and costume would be repurposed only a year later when Sun Boy joins the Legion of Super-Heroes.
Davies

Re: Space-Boy

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:06 am Image

SPACE-BOY (Zall-Dix)
Created By:

-Space-Boy appears as a powerful alien who insists that Superboy change places with him. Like the later Solar Boy, he looks almost like a Legion of Super-Heroes character, and has only one appearance.
How it ends: Space Boy attempts to use Mind Transfer to put his mind in Superboy's body, but is tricked into putting it in Pa Kent's instead. Since the power didn't go with him, Pa threatens to leave Earth (and his wife) behind, leaving Space Boy stuck in the body of a powerless old man. Horrified by this prospect, Space Boy pledges to leave Earth if Pa Kent reverses the transfer, and keeps the promise while fleeing. There's a lot I could say here ...
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:31 am Image

SOLAR BOY
Created By:

-Solar Boy shows up for a one-off story in 1960 as a "new master" for Krypto, who flies off into space after Superboy reprimands him for playing super-pranks. Wanting to find a new master after this, Krypto finds Solar Boy, who appears in a green costume with a sunburst logo on the chest, but his new master is a sadistic tormentor who deliberately tortures the dog- the cover of the comic features him taunting Krypto with images of the doghouse Superboy built for him on the moon. Obviously, Krypto returns. The "Solar Boy" name and costume would be repurposed only a year later when Sun Boy joins the Legion of Super-Heroes.
How it ends: Solar Boy's powers depend on periodic exposure to a solar ray, which is also the mechanism by which he deprives Krypto of his powers. Krypto manages to get one of the bully's robot housekeepers to damage the mechanism, returning his powers and removing Solar Boy's. He then finishes the job by destroying the thing and flying away. (Since the device was built by Solar Boy's "late father" -- I don't know whether we're supposed to assume that Solar Boy killed him or not -- he presumably can't repair it.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:31 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:06 am

SPACE-BOY (Zall-Dix)
Created By:

How it ends: Space Boy attempts to use Mind Transfer to put his mind in Superboy's body, but is tricked into putting it in Pa Kent's instead. Since the power didn't go with him, Pa threatens to leave Earth (and his wife) behind, leaving Space Boy stuck in the body of a powerless old man. Horrified by this prospect, Space Boy pledges to leave Earth if Pa Kent reverses the transfer, and keeps the promise while fleeing. There's a lot I could say here ...
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:31 am

SOLAR BOY
Created By:

How it ends: Solar Boy's powers depend on periodic exposure to a solar ray, which is also the mechanism by which he deprives Krypto of his powers. Krypto manages to get one of the bully's robot housekeepers to damage the mechanism, returning his powers and removing Solar Boy's. He then finishes the job by destroying the thing and flying away. (Since the device was built by Solar Boy's "late father" -- I don't know whether we're supposed to assume that Solar Boy killed him or not -- he presumably can't repair it.)
I demand you edit the DC fandom pages about all Silver Age one offs. None of this appears anywhere I can see :P.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:48 pm
I demand you edit the DC fandom pages about all Silver Age one offs. None of this appears anywhere I can see.
Okay. Christmas appears to be cancelled for me, so I'll have plenty of time to do that.

EDIT: Edited pages for both stories.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

There should be stats for most of the Silver age villains in the Mayfair DC 1st edition Superman sourcebook.
It's set prior to the COIE so it should have plenty of old time jobbers. (I think it even has Terra Man among others)

The Second Edition source book picks up after Bryne has had his way (I mean it how it sounds) with the continuity.
Side note: There are 2 Pre-crisis LSH source books and 1 post crisis (The wonderful 2995 5yg sourcebook).
Jabroniville

Krypto the Super-Dog

Post by Jabroniville »

KRYPTO THE SUPER-DOG (Skip)- Silver Age
Created By:
Otto Binder & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #210 (March 1955)
Role: The Hero's Pet, Super-Dog
Group Affiliations: Legion of Super-Pets, The Space Canine Patrol Agents
PL 10 (192)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 10 (+13)
Ranged Combat (Heat Vision) 6 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 2 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Super-Doggy Running" Speed 9 (1,000 mph) (9)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
Power-Lifting 2 (1,600 tons) [2]
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Senses 17 (Microscopic Vision 2, Extended Vision 2, Extended Hearing 3, Extended Scent 2- Acute, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Infravision, Low-Light Vision, Ultra-Hearing) [17]

"Heat Vision" Blast 10 (20) -- [22]
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Move Object 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) (10)
  • AE: "Super-Breath Knock-Back" Affliction 10 (Strength or Agility; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limtied Degree, Instant Recovery) (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Heat Vision +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Superman)- Krypto is the loyal pet and "Kryptonian's Best Friend" of the Man of Steel.
Power Loss, Weakness (All Powers, Kryptonite Exposure)- The dreaded green rock (which is VERY common at times) will neutralize Krypto's powers, AND rapidly poison him.
Vulnerable (Magical Attacks)- Krypto loses his Impervious Toughness against either type of attack, and takes more damage as well.
Power Loss (Red Sun Radiation)- Krypto takes extra damage from Red Sun Radiation, and his powers will start to fade in proximity as well.
Power Loss (X-Ray Vision)- X-Ray Vision cannot penetrate Lead.
Enemy (Lex Luthor, Brainiac)

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 10 (192)

---

KRYPTO THE SUPER-DOG- Modern
Created By:
Otto Binder & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #210 (March 1955)
Role: The Hero's Pet, Super-Dog
Group Affiliations: Legion of Super-Pets, The Space Canine Patrol Agents
PL 10 (178)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 10 (+13)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
  • AE: "Super-Doggy Running" Speed 9 (1,000 mph) (9)
Power-Lifting 2 (1,600 tons) [2]
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Senses 17 (Microscopic Vision 2, Extended Vision 2, Extended Hearing 3, Extended Scent 2- Acute, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Infravision, Low-Light Vision, Ultra-Hearing) [17]

"Heat Vision" Blast 10 (20) -- [22]
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Move Object 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) (10)
  • AE: "Super-Breath Knock-Back" Affliction 10 (Strength or Agility; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limtied Degree, Instant Recovery) (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Superman)- Krypto is the loyal pet and "Kryptonian's Best Friend" of the Man of Steel.
Power Loss, Weakness (All Powers, Kryptonite Exposure)- The dreaded green rock (which is VERY common at times) will neutralize Krypto's powers, AND rapidly poison him.
Vulnerable (Magical Attacks)- Krypto loses his Impervious Toughness against either type of attack, and takes more damage as well.
Power Loss (Red Sun Radiation)- Krypto takes extra damage from Red Sun Radiation, and his powers will start to fade in proximity as well.
Enemy (Lex Luthor, Brainiac)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 10 (178)

Superboy Gets a Dog:
-YUP- I finally have to stat out the dog. One of the most "Silver Age" concepts of the Silver Age, Krypto the Super-Dog is of course a Kryptonian DOG, who manages to gain the exact same super-powers Kal-El does when he arrives on Earth. This is, well, COMPLETELY ASININE, but like... Kryptonians already look like humans, so I guess it makes sense that their animals would, too? But still, it's very goofy and weird. You can see why in the 1980s they dropped him entirely, and he didn't return until WELL after Morrison's JLA, when Jeph Loeb and Geoff Johns threw the old-school whimsy back into things. It wasn't until the post-modern era that we could really accept stuff like "Superman's dog from Krypton who also has heat vision & flight, and wears a little doggie cape".

A Boy And His Dog:
-Krypto the Super-Dog debuted late compared to most iconic characters in the mythos, popping up in a Superboy story in 1955. Looking to be a generic white dog of medium-size, Krypto was infant Kal-El's pet on Krypton (that's like naming a regular dog "Earthy"), where convergent evolution means that pretty much everything looked exactly like on Earth- dogs, cats, monkeys, etc. When Jor-El was making a rocket to send Kal-El to Earth, it turns out he'd built a TEST MODEL first- a smaller rocket for Krypto. Yes, they were retconning things into the origin in 1955. It's explained that we only just now find Krypto because the rocket was knocked off-course and drifted for years. Krypto & Kal-El are thus reunited when the boy is a teenager. This lets the writers tell "A Boy And His Dog" stories, which were incredibly popular then and for years later- a smart way to cross as many interests as possible for their big hero (even Captain Marvel didn't have a Marvel Dog!).

-So Krypto both acts as a friendly companion to young Clark Kent, but also pretends to be a normal dog named "Skip", unfurling a little doggie cape to act as his master's sidekick, and burning off a fake "patch" on his body with heat vision. Stories involve things like Krypto abandoning Earth to find a new master after being scolded for playing super-pranks, and finding a new master who abuses him maliciously. These stories continue for about sixteen years- Julius Schwartz revamps Superman in 1971 as sales were falling and the audience was aging a bit beyond "A Boy And His Dog" stories, and Krypto makes no appearances for a few years. He returns in 1975, as writer Elliot S. Maggin said, "A man needs a dog. A superman needs a superdog." And so despite an attempt at writing him out, Krypto gets a solo backup feature in Superman Family and stuff. In one of the final stories written of the original character, Alan Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?, Krypto dies saving his master by biting the throat out of the Kryptonite Man- Krypto is irradiated and is drops dead a few steps away from the villain.

Krypto Returns:
-So, even as John Byrne brings back Lori Lemaris, the mermaid ex-girlfriend, and Supergirl, albeit with chicanery, he does NOT bring back the Super-Dog. Krypto is written out of history entirely, and Superman is the "Last Son of Krypton". Other "Kryptos" are cheats & variants- one in the Time Trapper's pocket universe (where the Legion of Super-Heroes find a "Superboy" to take inspiration from). A normal dog is adopted by Bibbo Bibbowski (a side character) and given the name as well. Superboy (Connor Kent/Kon-El) acquires this dog, but the two do not get along. It eventually goes to live at Cadmus HQ and is forgotten.

-Eventually, however, we DO get a real Krypto. This one is kept away from the goofy Silver Age origins, and is instead a creature from a false, idealized Krypton created by Brainiac- Superman defeats the illusory trap, but takes the dog back with him. This Krypto is power-wise the same as the Silver Age version, but is now just a regular dog with regular doggo thoughts. They deal with modern superhero troubles (Krypto bites too hard and is too strong for Earth at first, and has to be isolated)- the 2000s, at least, are a place where the genre is more "okay" with Superman having a Super-Dog- it's quaint and old-fashioned in sort of a charming way, and characters in-universe can be like "WTF? You have a super-DOG?" to him (Batman does this a lot). He & Connor actually form a close bond (despite Connor's early misgivings), maturing the latter a bit. Eventually, it is retconned in that Krypto now has his Silver Age origin story restored- as a white dog is seen at the El residence on Krypton- Geoff Johns returning the Silver Age stuff.

Krypto's Powers:
-Yes, the freaking dog is PL 10 and costs more than a PL 12, lol. Krypto is naturally revealed to have all the Kryptonian powers, just usually at lower levels. I just copied my Justice League Unlimited version of Superman and lowered his attack, lol. Krypto is also MUCH smarter than an ordinary dog- his thought balloons express thoughts and ideas well into what is normal for a human being, albeit with doggie-related interests.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Beppo the Super-Monkey

Post by Jabroniville »

Sometimes he just looks like a chimp.

BEPPO THE SUPER-MONKEY
Created By:
First Appearance: Superboy #76 (Oct. 1959)
Role: Mischief-Maker, Super-Monkey
Group Affiliations: Legion of Super-Pets
PL 8 (170)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 10 (+13)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
  • AE: "Super-Monkey Running" Speed 9 (1,000 mph) (9)
Power-Lifting 2 (400 tons) [2]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
Senses 16 (Microscopic Vision 2, Extended Vision 2, Extended Hearing 3, Extended Scent 2- Acute, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Infravision, Low-Light Vision) [16]

"Heat Vision" Blast 9 (18) -- [20]
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Move Object 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) (9)
  • AE: "Super-Breath Knock-Back" Affliction 9 (Strength or Agility; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limtied Degree, Instant Recovery) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Mischief-Maker)- Beppo has a tendency to create havoc wherever he goes.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 8 (152)

-WHY IS THERE ALSO A MONKEY?! I... oh man, this one actually pre-dates Streaky by a year. And I guess it makes sense- DC was infamously all about monkeys & apes appearing on covers, as there was a theory (unsure if proven) that issues with apes on the cover ALWAYS sold more. Beppo is naturally a monkey from the planet Krypton, which has convergent evolution with Earth- he was ANOTHER test-animal of Jor-El's (yes, they retconned that twice), but was actually a stowaway on Kal-El's rocket ship. He hopped out unseen and went on his own for months, living in the jungle. Beppo eventually found the infant Kal-El and raised all sorts of mayhem- the Kents scolded him and fretted that Clark's secret would be exposed, but some fireworks spooked the monkey and he flew out into space. Superboy ends this origin story by saying "he made his way back to Earth before too long".

-Beppo reappears in Supergirl, and meets Krypto & Streaky, and also joined the Legion of Super-Pets. In total, he makes only 16 appearances total for the entire Silver Age, and is written out. The Crisis gets rid of him anyhow.