Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Ma & Pa Kent! Lori Lemaris! Krypto the Super-Dog!)

Post by Sidney369 »

I noticed that there's been no mention of Superbaby. Is there a particular reason or is no point to stat up a toddler version of Superboy?
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I like Krypto. He's a reminder that comics can be light-hearted and fun, and really, a superhero with a super dog is just all kinds of awesome. Have Krypto and Dex-starr ever fought? If not, that seems like a missed opportunity.

The thing about "super pets" is that they can easily make sense depending on the character. Police use canine units, it wouldn't be too out there for a superhero to have a particularly well trained and extraordinary animal sidekick to help them out. Granted, it can go a bit far. Krypto is fine. Lockjaw is fine. Even Speedball's cat Niels / Hairball is fine. Streaky the Super Cat . . . is pushing it, and both Ace the Bat-Hound and Beppo the Super-Monkey are when things go too far. And that's not even talking about Comet the God-Damned Super Horse.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:33 am I noticed that there's been no mention of Superbaby. Is there a particular reason or is no point to stat up a toddler version of Superboy?
I had no idea there was ever a set of "Superbaby" stories until you mentioned it. I mean I remember reading about "Wonder Tot" I guess, but I didn't stat up that one, either XD.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:42 am I like Krypto. He's a reminder that comics can be light-hearted and fun, and really, a superhero with a super dog is just all kinds of awesome. Have Krypto and Dex-starr ever fought?
Yes, in an episode of Justice League Action, where Krypto teams up with Streaky and Plastic Man to deal with him.
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:19 am -WHY IS THERE ALSO A MONKEY?!
Sometimes, real life writes the plot.

Many of them died ...
Actually, they all died!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:42 am
The thing about "super pets" is that they can easily make sense depending on the character. Police use canine units, it wouldn't be too out there for a superhero to have a particularly well trained and extraordinary animal sidekick to help them out. Granted, it can go a bit far. Krypto is fine. Lockjaw is fine. Even Speedball's cat Niels / Hairball is fine. Streaky the Super Cat . . . is pushing it, and both Ace the Bat-Hound and Beppo the Super-Monkey are when things go too far. And that's not even talking about Comet the God-Damned Super Horse.
What could be wrong with Batman's son, Robin, adopting a dog, one that he trains to help him in crime-fighting? Or for Batman to tame and adopt a canine who was being used in a dog-fighting ring? Of course there should be a Bat-Hound! (okay, the dog shouldn't wear a mask and cape, I'll give you that one).

And Beppo? Well, everything in comics is better with apes and monkeys. EVERYTHING.

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:03 am
Ares wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:42 am I like Krypto. He's a reminder that comics can be light-hearted and fun, and really, a superhero with a super dog is just all kinds of awesome. Have Krypto and Dex-starr ever fought?
Yes, in an episode of Justice League Action, where Krypto teams up with Streaky and Plastic Man to deal with him.
Let me re-phrase: Have Krypto and Dex-starr ever fought in a good story / series / franchise?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Streaky the Supercat

Post by Jabroniville »

STREAKY THE SUPERCAT
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Action Comics #261 (Feb. 1960)
Role: The Hero's Pet, Super-Cat
Group Affiliations: Legion of Super-Pets
PL 9 (162)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 10 (+13)
Ranged Combat (Heat Vision) 6 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 2 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Super-Kitty Running" Speed 9 (1,000 mph) (9)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
Power-Lifting 2 (400 tons) [2]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Senses 16 (Microscopic Vision 2, Extended Vision 2, Extended Hearing 3, Extended Scent 2- Acute, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Infravision, Low-Light Vision) [16]

"Heat Vision" Blast 9 (18) -- [20]
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Move Object 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) (9)
  • AE: "Super-Breath Knock-Back" Affliction 9 (Strength or Agility; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limtied Degree, Instant Recovery) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Heat Vision +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Supergirl)
Power Loss (X-Ray Vision)- X-Ray Vision cannot penetrate Lead.
Enemy (Lex Luthor, Brainiac)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 76 / Defenses: 8 (162)

-See, it's always the same damn thing with DC. You can't just have Kal-El get a Kryptonian DOG to be a dog SUPER-HERO and fly around wearing a doggie CAPE- you gotta immediately add a freaking super-CAT and have it be Supergirl's Super-Pet Sidekick, too, lol. This is why everyone thought DC was for babies in the 1960s!

-Streaky the Supercat debuted in 1960, five years after Krypto did, and shares a co-creator with Superman himself. Because Supergirl is female, her pet had to be more feminine- we should be thankful it wasn't a poodle, I guess. Streaky, at least, isn't Kryptonian- she is a normal cat accidentally given powers by some discarded kryptonite Supergirl was experimenting on, hoping to neutralize its deadly effects. Instead, Streaky touches the "X-Kryptonite" and immediately gains super-powers like Supergirl has! Streaky, also sporting an "S" cape and stuff, joins the Legion of Super-Pets and appears periodically throughout the decade, but makes his very last appearance in 1970. All Earth's kryptonite is transformed into iron in a 1971 story, and editor E. Nelson Bridwell confirmed to a fan that this removed the ability for Streaky to gain powers, and he now lived on a farm... wait, I mean, he lived with Supergirl's foster parents in Midvale.

-"Alternative Streakys" have appeared periodically over the years, but none have gained super-powers. One was temporarily recreated by the Psycho-Pirate in a fourth-wall-breaking Animal Man story arc, a normal cat appeared in Peter David's Supergirl, and then a proper "Streaky" is adopted in 2006.

-Streaky is effectively a weaker version of Krypto, being smaller (they were big on "proportionate strength" in the Silver Age), but still hitting PL 9.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Ultimate crossover idea.... The Legion of Superpets Meets the Pet Avengers!

Imagine a Throg / Krypto team up!
Quasimofo

Post by Quasimofo »

I have to admit though, the League of Super-Pets movie was actually pretty entertaining in a dumb sort of way.
Jabroniville

Comet the Super-Horse

Post by Jabroniville »

COMET THE SUPER-HORSE (Biron, aka "Bronco" Bill Burr)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #293 (Oct. 1962)
Role: Super-Horse, Weird Pet/Boyfriend
Group Affiliations: Legion of Super-Pets
PL 9 (137)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 10 (+13)

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Super-Horse Running" Speed 9 (1,000 mph) (9)
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Power-Lifting 2 (400 tons) [2]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Senses 7 (Microscopic Vision 2, Extended Vision 2, Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [7]
"Telepathy" Communication 2 (Mental) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Heat Vision +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Supergirl)- He's her pet... and they date. It's weird.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 8 (137)

-OH MY GOD OF COURSE THERE'S A DAMN HORSE. Comet the Super-Horse is possibly the most "obvious" of the quartet of Super-Animals, even though he came after Krypto, Beppo & Streaky- as Supergirl was targetted at young girl readers, of COURSE she needs to get her own horse at some point. But because it's the Superman Family, her horse has super-powers and can morph in a man that Supergirl can dateWHAT THE FUCK?
-So Comet's tale is that he appeared before Supergirl and explained to her via telepathy that he was Biron, a centaur from Ancient Greece who was permanently transformed into a horse thanks to an evil sorcerer. Circe, feeling bad for him, gave him super-powers after she couldn't reverse the change. But the sorcerer trapped him on an asteroid until Supergirl's rocket (the one from Krypton to Earth) passed by and freed him. Man, I swear every DC character debuts by giving a 3-page expose on their origin story to a Super-person, lol. Anyways, Comet & Supergirl then go to the planet Zerox (where later the White Witch of the Legion of Super-Heroes learns her magic), and a magic spell is cast that turns him fully human... but only while a comet passes through the solar system. So as a human, Comet adopts the human identity of "Bronco" Bill Starr, a rodeo trick rider, and Supergirl falls in love with him!

-Okay so he's naturally a centaur so it's like 25% less weird that she's in love with her horse, but still. This is a very weird kind of "Girl's Fantasy" thing (of course written by much older men)- horses are famously beloved by girls especially, and it's thought that the horse represents something masculine and powerful yet still needs them- a kind of romantic notion. The whole "But they KISS!" thing seems to add a whole Freudian thing to it, though.

-In any case, Comet appeared "sporadically" through the 1960s, and joined the Legion of Super-Pets. The character disappears Post-Crisis, one of many super-pets done away with as comics got more serious. Unlike Krypto, Comet didn't reappear until the 2020s, though Peter David introduced a character by the same name with a similar concept, clearly being inspired by this one, in his Supergirl run.

-Comet is similar to the other Super-Pets but has Telepathy and lacks some of the other uber-powers of the Superman Family.
Jabroniville

Comet

Post by Jabroniville »

COMET (Andrew Jones/Andrea Martinez)
Created By:
Peter David & Leonard Kirk
First Appearance: Supergirl #14 (Oct. 1997)
Role: Legacy Character (to Pre-Crisis Comet)
Group Affiliations: Heaven

-So in Peter David's Supergirl, David was able to pretty much invent the character he wanted, and brought in this homage to the Silver Age when a white-haired character named "Comet" arrived. Comet was a male character with horse-like legs and could transform into a Centaur (like Biron was), and was an Angel of Heaven, like Supergirl was by this point (that comic was WEIRD). Comet could even take a more human-like form, but it was Andrea Martinez, a lesbian stand-up comic who was friends with Linda "Supergirl" Danvers in their civilian lives.

-The character's true origin story is so complex and intricate I'ma just quote Wikipedia: "Soon, it was learned that Comet's male form was originally Andrew Jones, a (male) jockey, who had been trampled by horses and "rebuilt" by an organization called "The Stable" as a superhuman with equine DNA. He rebelled against the organization and began operating as a superhero. On one of his first missions he attempted to save a despairing Andrea Martinez (who had just come out to her parents, and been rejected) from an avalanche, but they both died. As with Matrix and Linda Danvers (who had merged into Supergirl, the Angel of Fire), this caused them to combine into one being: the Earth Angel of Love. Comet originally was in love with Supergirl, and since he was the Angel of Love, made her have feelings for him too, but she rejected him when she learned he was also a woman. This opened the door for the third Angel, Blithe, the Angel of Light, to use her powers to exploit Comet's heartbreak, and turn them against Supergirl. She enabled Comet to fully embrace their angel powers, transforming him/herself into a winged centaur."

-Oddly, despite a general lack of interest in '90s Supergirl, I've actually READ one of the issues involving this, as I rack-read a Supergirl issue in which Comet has revealed the origin story and status as a gay woman to Supergirl, and is like... trying to convince her to keep up their prospective relationship. It's been way, WAY too long since I've read it to get too uppity about it, but I remember being put off by her "hey, you should just BE GAY" attitude, explaining that a lot of societies had normalized homosexuality and Supergirl was just being weird about it. Again, WAY TOO MUCH TIME HAS PASSED for me to say whether or not that was the actual impression we were supposed to be given. In fact, it looks from the story summation that David agreed Comet was in the wrong, in any case. In any case, Comet was short-lived- Blithe, Angel of Light, tricked Comet into joining forces with a demon called "The Carnivore", but Comet gave up Andrea's anger when her mother died, and apologized to Supergirl. Supergirl, Comet & Blithe teamed up to stop the Carnivore, and Blithe, who was bisexual, fell in love with both of Comet's forms and they hooked up (... this leaves out the "tricking her into teaming with the Carnivore" fall-out that I'm sure must have happened).

-This version of Comet had Super-Flight and wings made of ice (to contrast Supergirl's then wings of fire), which left a frozen contrail behind him during flight. He also had Ice Vision and a centaur-like form with mroe strength. A psionic aura of love generated around him at all times, so I'm not sure how much he forced Supergirl into crushing on him.
Jabroniville

Agent Liberty

Post by Jabroniville »

AGENT LIBERTY (Benjamin Lockwood)
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
First Appearance: Superman #60 (Oct. 1991)
Role: Patriotic Hero, Bad-Ass '90s Hero
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, The CIA, The Sons of Liberty
PL 9 (108)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (CIA Agent) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Paramilitary) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Agent Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
"Force Shield" Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)
Protection 3 (3)
"Retractable Blades" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (3)
"Jetpack" Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
-- (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blades +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Shield, DC 20-22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+6 Costume), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Fixing the Government)- For a time, Agent Liberty was in a paramilitary group devoted to unseating the American President.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 10 (108)

-A guy I've never heard of, Agent Liberty is from the early '90s Superman run by Dan Jurgens, and he may as well be named '90s Mc'90sSon. He was a CIA Agent so disgusted with the government that he joined the paramilitary Sons of Liberty, trying to overturn the current government. He came up against Superman a few times, but quit the group when asked to assassinate Pete Ross, and became their enemy, helping to destroy them by feeding information to reporter Clark Kent. He pretty much vanished from the books after Jurgens left, and quit being Agent Liberty (he burned his costume after discovering the Sons were founded by his CIA mentor), but appeared in some background scenes here and there. He was brainwashed by Brainiac into becoming Agent Liberty again, but he and other kidnapped heroes were rescued by Huntress & Vixen. Later, he appears during Infinite Crisis and as the president's bodyguard another time. He was murdered by Superwoman (who is apparently LUCY LANE) when he was observed spying on her, basically being brought out of the woodwork just to die. A new, female Agent Liberty was seen as part of the security team for the new American President, a big irony considering the origins of the character- she was killed by Ursa when a ton of Kryptonians arrived on Earth. He was briefly a Justice League member during the time when Superman was dead.

-A minor character who's obviously no match for the Man of Steel, I figure Agent Liberty for a PL 8 sort who's got a PL 9 Force Shield that helps him deflect bullets.
Jabroniville

The Planeteer

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PLANETEER (Alexander Mason)
Created By:
Paul Kupperberg, Bob Rozakis & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Superman #387 (Sept. 1983)
Role: One-Off Bad Guy

-A late Pre-Crisis character, The Planteer is a megalomaniac who fancies himself the reincarnation of Alexander the Great. Planning to rule the world, he kidnaps eight world leaders and hides them using magnetic fields until Superman breaks the machines hiding them. However, the Planeteer reveals that that was his plan all along, as the process feeds him energy enough to keep Superman at bay for a while. Superman ultimately lures the villain to Earht's North Magnetic Pole, depowering him and beating him. He has never reappeared, and is gone Post-Crisis.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Krypto the Super-Dog! Beppo, Streaky & Comet!)

Post by Davies »

You can pretty much just use Magneto's stats for this guy; he pulls off the same mega-telekinesis through magnetism stunts (lifting an island, etc.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Krypto the Super-Dog! Beppo, Streaky & Comet!)

Post by Ares »

Planeteer was actually pretty powerful, and he often used a personal magnetic force field to have even-ish punching fights with PRE-CRISIS Superman. Problem is, his body depended on the Earth's magnetic field to function, so in places where said field was disrupted, he was much weaker. He went from someone who could slug it out with Superman to someone Clark could KO with a finger flick. He honestly could have made for a decent recurring villain (he appeared in at least one other story) but anyone who hears his name now would probably assume he had something to do with Captain Planet.

It'd actually could have made for a fun World's Finest crossover if Maxi Zeus (especially a more capable one like The Batman's animated version) and the Planeteer teamed up to take on Clark and Bruce.