Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Gladiator

Post by Jabroniville »

Harnos wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:07 pm
That last part explains it well enough, thank you.

This is gonna be a weird dialogue but your Gladiator has better dodge-touhness total than your PL 14 Thor and same parry/toughness total. Are there another versions of these builds I missed or are they to be updated? Thor is better on fort-will though.
Oh- I must have been mistaken. I forgot I gave Thor poorer defenses too, lol.

Gladiator is a weird one because he’s treated like a god, but because he has no regular book, he’s treated like an “overwhelming Jobber” where he loses after a hard fight. Thinking about it, the Masterson one involved a lot of luck, plus using his teammate Living Lightning as a boost for his power.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:47 am Oh- I must have been mistaken. I forgot I gave Thor poorer defenses too, lol.

Gladiator is a weird one because he’s treated like a god, but because he has no regular book, he’s treated like an “overwhelming Jobber” where he loses after a hard fight. Thinking about it, the Masterson one involved a lot of luck, plus using his teammate Living Lightning as a boost for his power.
Sure, but Masterson Thor also showed he could hang with Gladiator physically, it was just his lack of experience that held him back. Hyperion had a similar issue where he was just as powerful as Gladiator, but had less experience fighting foes on his own level. Regular Thor fought Gladiator while Gladiator won round one thanks to weakness exploitation (he got Thor away from his hammer for more than 60 seconds), Thor won round two when it was a straight up fight. The Hulk also defeated Gladiator when they fought. Gladiator is usually too much for guys like Ben or Colossus, but I don't know that he has a win over another top tier hero outside of Hyperion. Even his fight with Wonder Man, Gladiator won by destroying Simon's flight pack and then hammered Simon deep into the ground. He never actually KOed Simon, it just took Wonder Man a while to dig himself out of the mile deep hole Gladiator pounded him into.

So Gladiator kind of is a jobber, it's just that he only jobs to elite powerhouses . . . and Cannonball.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Krypto! Beppo, Streaky & Comet! Jimmy Olsen!)

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:21 am The problem with Lombard (that likely led to him being written out) was being a “run-through” character who couldn’t be given any further development without making him redundant. He was given a couple positive qualities, being physically brave and having some loyalty to his coworkers, but basically once the joke got old, Lombard was finished.

All my best.
Pretty much. Steve was the definition of a one-note character. He also seems like a bit of a geek fantasy, the jock that used to prank them in highschool is now kind of a washed up loser getting put in his place by Superman.

The comic Love and Capes played around with the Steve Lombard archetype (since the entire series is basically a love letter to DC Comics) by making him Abby (the lead female character)'s brother, a somewhat shallow jock who was nonetheless a decent guy.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Cat Grant

Post by Jabroniville »

This reads like what a guys who’s never dated thinks a seductress would sound like.

CAT GRANT
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Jerry Ordway
First Appearance: The Adventures of Superman #424 (Jan. 1987)
Role: Office Gossip, Office Flirt, Random Antagonist
PL 2 (38), PL 3 (38) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Reporter) 4 (+6)
Expertise (TV Show Host) 6 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Attractive, Benefit (Fame- TV Show Host)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +1 (DC 11), Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Adam- Son)- Adam hero-worshipped Cat's abusive ex-husband, and was killed by a duplicate of the Toyman, breaking Cat's heart.
Rivalry (Supergirl, Others)- Cat was once a workplace rival of Lois Lane, and ended up leading a slanderous campaign against Supergirl. Later, the two became allies.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (38)

-Cat Grant is an "Office Gossip/Office Flirt"-type of character introduced by Marv Wolfman in the Post-Crisis Superman books, but eventually turned into a Supergirl supporting character of all things. She was the gossip columnist at the Daily Planet, and quickly started dating Clark Kent. A recovering alcoholic after her divorce, Cat felt that Clark was trying to "fix" her, while Clark was really in love with Lois- Jimmy Olsen adores Cat, but she pretty well ignores him. Naturally, Lois dislikes her. She goes undercover to help Clark expose industrialist Morgan Edge's link to Intergang, and hires on a bodyguard, who later becomes her boyfriend- Jose "Gangbuster" Delgado. Cat becomes a TV star- an on-air reporter and talk show host with The Cat Grant Show. Eventually, she even earns the respect of Lois, and becomes the head of her TV station when she exposes the boss (Morgan's father) for sexually harassing her. Unfortunately, her son Adam is one of several children abducted by the Toyman, and is killed trying to escape- Cat focuses on her work in an attempt to deal with this.

-Later, Cat becomes Lex Luthor's Press Secretary at the White House (I'm guessing there was a writer switch, or they just tried to cram as many Supes supporting cast members into that administration as they could. When Luthor is impeached, she moves to LA for a while, then returns in the "Entertainment & Arts" section of the Planet- now, she has been rewritten into the "Office Skank", with even Wikipedia pointing out she's an entirely different person, dressing provocatively and hitting on people. It's suggested by Clark that this might be her way of dealing with losing her son. Cat becomes part of the Supergirl supporting cast, leading a slander campaign against Kara after a super-battle leaves Cat injured. She discovers that the child-killing Toyman was actually a robot, and is kidnapped by a "Dollmaker" who wants to be her surrogate son, but Supergirl saves Cat, ultimately turning the two into friends. In the "New 52" DCU, she appears much kinder, but in "DC Rebirth", she's reimagined as a nasty CEO of "CatCo Worlwide Media", again a rival to Supergirl (probably inspired by Calista Flockhart's portrayal of Cat in the CBS series).

-So all in all, Cat Grant is one of those "Workplace Antagonist" characters, but seems like a solid one meant to throw a wrench into things- an aggressor of Clark Kent to contrast (and annoy) Lois, a rival to Lois, a target of affection for Jimmy, etc.- and then acts as the "J. Jonah Jameson" for Supergirl. Honestly, as a Post-Crisis addition to the Superman Mythos, she's had 100 times the story importance I'd have imagined.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OwOMotaros

Re: Cat Grant

Post by OwOMotaros »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:04 am Image
Damn, Kara. Brutal.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:47 am
Harnos wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:07 pm
That last part explains it well enough, thank you.

This is gonna be a weird dialogue but your Gladiator has better dodge-touhness total than your PL 14 Thor and same parry/toughness total. Are there another versions of these builds I missed or are they to be updated? Thor is better on fort-will though.
Oh- I must have been mistaken. I forgot I gave Thor poorer defenses too, lol.

I see. Was the Masterson Thor fight the one that involved Thor girl?
Jabroniville

The Golden Age Lois Lane

Post by Jabroniville »

LOIS LANE- Golden Age
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Joe Schuster
First Appearance: Action Comics #1 (June 1938)
Role: The Love Interest, Singled-Minded Career Woman, Miss Sarcasm
PL 2 (50), PL 3 (50) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (News Reporter) 11 (+14)
Insight 5 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Contacts, Ultimate Reporting Skill

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Superman)- It's complicated. She likes the guy, but he's still very much a mystery to her at times. And then there's this CLARK guy...
Motivation (Career Woman)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (50)

-Lois is pretty much the archetypical Super-Hero Love Interest, and she's obviously the most iconic and famous. Of course, she's been given about a zillion different personalities over the years (flighty dame, damsel in distress, career-obsessed ball-busting harpy, etc.), but she was a big, big deal. So much so that there was a Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane comic for YEARS. A big crux of the deal was that she was pushy and dismissive of Clark, but was enamored with his counterpart, Superman. She was also a nosy reporter, resulting in a lot of "Damsel in Distress" situations, of course helped out by Superman, who sometimes left her suspecting that he was really her bespectacled, meek colleague.

-Lois's physical appearance was based on Joanne Carter, a model hired by Joe Shuster (funnily enough, she would marry Jerry Siegel!)- Jerry Siegel was inspired by Glenda Farrell's portrayal of the reporter character Torchy Blane in a film series, as well as real-life reporter Nellie Bly. The name comes from actress Lola Lane. She was first conceived in 1934 during the early development of Superman, and was a pushy but brave intrepid reporter who got into all manner of troubles. She was ill-tempered with her partner Clark Kent but was enamored with Superman. As early as 1942, writers would feature her suspecting that Clark WAS, in fact, Superman, with an increasingly comic series of events featuring her attempts to prove this, and Superman's attempts to outwit her. This would be a bigger feature in the Silver Age, however. Lois Lane, Girl Reporter would feature in the backups of some Superman books during the Golden Age, with Lois often handling criminals solo. She even had a small supporting cast of her own, like a fibbing niece Susie Tompkins- Susie disappears after 1955. Lois would get a younger, childless sister named Lucy later.

-This incarnation of Lois would at some point become the Silver Age version, but eventually the Justice League would visit Earth-Two, home of the Justice Society, and we'd learn that this Lois would MARRY her Superman, growing old together. She doesn't feature much in Crisis on Infinite Earths, but in a sweet ending, Marv Wolfman & George Perez write a happy ending for the original superhero, as Kal-L of Krypton discovers that his aged wife was spared from the merging of the Earths by Alexander Luthor, and the two remained together in a pocket world of his construction. The character vanished for 20+ years, however, until Geoff Johns wrote Infinite Crisis- an aging Lois's health was an impetus for Superman I to grow increasingly impassioned about fixing the "Merged Earth", and she dies of old age before the end.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Krypto! Beppo, Streaky & Comet! Jimmy Olsen!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Evidently, the DC heroes of the Silver Age were beset by exceptionally cruel harpies for girlfriends: Iris West is said to be the Secretariat of Bitchiness (though here just seems to be a standard issue nagging wife): https://blogintomystery.com/2013/08/06/ ... -fat-lady/
Jabroniville

The Silver Age Lois Lane

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

LOIS LANE- Silver Age
Created By:
Role: Scheming Love Interest, Hero's Girlfriend
PL 2 (51), PL 3 (51) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 2 (+6)
Insight 5 (+8)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Superman)- It's complicated. She likes the guy, but he's still very much a mystery to her at times. And then there's this CLARK guy...
Motivation (Proving That Clark is Superman)- Lois was never more scheming in her attempts to find out whether or not her meek colleague was the Man Of Steel than in the Silver Age.
Motivation (Marrying Superman)- Lois was also often scheming to trap Superman into marriage.
Rivalry (Lana Lang)- Clark Kent's childhood girlfriend was a great rival to Lois for Superman's affections.
Relationship (Sam Lane- Father)
Relationship (Lucy Lane- Sister)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (51)

-Lois in the Silver Age becomes a whole different animal. Stories in the 1950s and 1960s feature her vying with rival Lana Lang (Clark's Smallville girlfriend) for Superman's affections, as well as proving that Clark & Superman were the same person- many issues also feature her trying to trap Superman into marriage. Clever Superman was all "EW GIRLS, GROSS!" about it (that is, claiming that marrying her would put Lois into further danger), and Lois would only end up marrying him in "Imaginary Stories" or things where it was a Superman impostor from Kandor or whatever. They'd all end up annulled. 1958 saw the biggest Lois push ever, with the successful Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane series debuting- it would last 137 issues, from 1958-74! It was even the #3 most popular comic book in North American in 1962 and 1965! Artist Kurt Schaffenberger would be credited with drawing the "definitive" Lois during this era- to the point where editor Mort Weisinger would get him to redraw other artists' versions of her in various other DC titles.

-Superman would often protect his secret identity from Lois via "Superman Robots" appearing in his place, or Batman disguising as Superman to trick her. Assorted "Superdickery" shows up in covers all over the place from this time period. Lois would also gain superpowers fairly often, much like Jimmy Olsen did- a frequent occurrence was her becoming "Superwoman" owing to a blood transfusion from Supes, or one of Lex Luthor's inventions or whatever. These would always be temporary. One particularly cringey issue features her disguising herself as a BLACK WOMAN in order to learn first-hand about discrimination- one black writer talks about how clumsy DC was with that sort of shit while he found Marvel's stuff (where black characters would just show up and nobody would react like anything was odd- like "Oh hey man, what's happening?") to be a lot more inclusive and noble in their takes on racial equality ("Wow- Peter Parker goes to an INTEGRATED high school!").

-Lois would get some backstory as being a reporter from a young age, and she'd meet Clark, Superboy and Lana as a youth. Lois's solo book was cancelled in 1974, making way for The Superman Family, an anthology book in which she'd just play a part- Jimmy Olsen had his book cancelled the same way. Her fashions were made more contemporary by 1968, and she'd be more self-reliant in the 1970s while Wonder Woman was being a Charlie's Angels powerless detective and stuff.

-Silver Age Lois is pretty much like Golden Age Lois, being brave and daring, but no match for super-villains. Though apparently she was trained in "Klurkor", a Kryptonian martial art, by people in the Bottle City of Kandor.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lois Lane (Modern)

Post by Jabroniville »

LOIS LANE- Modern Age
Created By:
Role: The Love Interest, Singled-Minded Career Woman, Miss Sarcasm
PL 4 (69)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 2 (+6)
Insight 7 (+11)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Superman)- Lois is initially a rival of Clark's, but likes Superman.
Relationship (Jose Delgado)- The two had a rocky on-and-off relationship for a few years, but she ultimately broke it off.
Relationship (Sam Lane- Father)- Lois respected her military man father, but eventually he went crazy.
Relationship (Lucy Lane- Sister)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (69)

-Post-Crisis, Lois Lane was reimagined by John Byrne, but largely stayed the same kind of person. Just... less needy and whiny like past versions had often been. She needed rescuing far less- as perhaps the most famous Damsel in Distress in the history of fiction, this may have been for the best. Initially, Clark was depicted as a workplace rival and a bit of a source of teasing, and Superman himself was someone she was attracted to, but not INFATUATED with- Lois was also in a relationship with Jose Delgado, who'd later be revealed as the vigilante Gangbuster. This coupling would be off and on for ages (Marv Wolfman invented Delgado and did some of this) before she left him for accepting help from LexCorp. We'd meet more of Lois's family, including a long thing featuring her father, General Sam Lane. Superman, depicted as rather shy with Lois, finally kisses her in a later issue when he returns to the Daily Planet after briefly leaving.

-Wonder of wonders: DC FINALLY moved forward with her relationship, as editorial wanted Lois & Clark to get married. However, ABC had just then released the TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (a mostly silly romance show with good casting via Dean Cain & Teri Hatcher as the stars), and so they held off on it for a couple years while the show ran its course. In the meantime, they KILLED Superman in one of the biggest stories the industry ever ran, and that conveniently bought them some time. Eventually, Superman was revived, the engagement was off and then on again, the show decided to run the same marriage angle, and DC had the same thing happen the comic! However, this kind of led to a funny thing, as Superman was such an old-fashioned character that this kind of turned Lois into a "Sexless Mom" for a lot of readers- I remember one reviewer describing Clark & Lois in the tub as "like watching your parents have sex".

-I... don't remember a whole of their coupling during this time, but she goes with Clark to Krypton in a time-travel storyline, meeting her "other" mother-in-law (Lara-El), and more. A neat Wonder Woman issue features her tailing the heroine, with whom she has an extremely passive-aggressive relationship- privately, she notes the intense rivalry she feels with her husband's workplace colleague- one she resentfully points out is the most beautiful woman ever and has all sorts of men ("including certain flying ones I know") constantly rushing to defend her. Eventually, she just flat-out demands Diana admit whether or not she's attracted to Superman (whom she insists on calling "Kal"- not the name Lois uses). At one point, Sam Lane goes nuts and blows up New Krypton and Lucy is killed- Sam commits suicide and Lois says she won't even miss him. Lois gets up to a bit more in the New 52 era of stuff- among the few well-liked decisions out there was Lois becoming a MOTHER, giving birth to Jonathan Kent, the son of Superman.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harnos

Re: Apollo

Post by Harnos »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:01 am Image

APOLLO (Andrew Pulaski)
Created By:
Warren Ellis & Bryan Hitch
First Appearance: StormWatch #4 (Feb. 1998)
Role: Supermanalogue
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None (rips off Superman instead)
'90s Ratio: 2/10 (morally ambiguous Superman is actually more of a 2000s trope)
Group Affiliations: StormWatch, The Authority
PL 14 (292)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 17 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Current Events) 5 (+7)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 9 (+12)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 7 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Solar Blast) 2 (+11)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative 2, Last Stand, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Superman-Tier Strength" Power-Lifting 4 (200,000 tons) [4]
Impervious Toughness 17 [17]
Immunity 16 (Life Support, Aging, Heat Damage) [16]

"Heat Beam" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (43) -- [46]
  • AE: "Heat Wave" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (43)
  • AE: Solar Blast 16 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (34)
  • AE: "Ground Pound" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) (28)
"Faster Than a Speeding Bullet"
Flight 18 (500,000 mph) [36]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Solar Blast +11 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Heat Beam +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Ground Pound +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +17 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude +17, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Fixing the World)- The Authority believe in fixing the world by any means necessary.
Relationship (The Midnighter)- Apollo & Midnighter are a couple, though occasionally prone to spats.
Relationship (Jenny Quantum)- The two adopt Jenny Quantum in WildStorm continuity.
Power Loss (Solar Powers)- Apollo requires the sun to enable his powers- he may even be depowered if he goes into space.

Total: Abilities: 122 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 121 / Defenses: 11 (292)

-Apollo & Midnighter are obvious Superman & Batman analogues, created by Warren Ellis soon after he started writing StormWatch- they were part of an entire group of JLA knock-offs, but ended up being the only survivors. Apollo had been bio-engineered by SW "Weatherman" Henry Bendix with solar absorption powers, making him incredibly powerful- he was a black ops agent for Bendix who'd since gone underground after a "StormWatch Black" mission went awry. When they found out Bendix was dead, they joined the SW remnants in The Authority, where Apollo's great power was instrumental to things.

-In the pages of The Authority, Apollo sort of went "Full Superman", doing all the stuff fans had only THEORIZED the Man of Steel doing- stuff like creating walls of flame, flying through people's heads, etc.- he was edgelordy and extreme, but a big "Power Fantasy" character- that he and Midnighter turned out to be gay lovers was a big twist and instantly made them stand out much more than "Edgelord Supes & Bats". As Ellis left the book, he had Apollo & Midnighter get married, adopting the reborn "Jenny Quantum".

-Apollo was beaten by pastiches of Thor & Captain America, with new writer Mark Millar implying that the beating was followed by a rape, but enough censoring was done to make this ambiguous. He was shown to be a bit jealous, with a villain exploiting this weakness by having Midnighter confess to kissing another man- Apollo punched him through several walls as a result.

-Both characters returned in DC's New 52, now being regular DC characters, which seems a bit redundant and odd- Apollo was immediately placed as a "Superman Rival" character, and joined the new incarnation of StormWatch. They remained a couple for a while, but split up over Midnighter's violent nature, but they got back together.

-Apollo is a "Majestic/Superman-Class Superhuman" according to multiple in-universe sources, and more or less lines up with both, hitting PL 14. He has less of a Will Save (Authority characters are somewhat easier to mess with than Big Blue), a total immunity to heat (he's walked on the surface of the sun), and is far more likely to use All-Out or Power Attack than either, even using both powers on normal humans.
Nice build. Did you power him up? I remember him as a PL 12 or 13 in your topic. Also in the first issue he and Midnighter were seen, they were naked in an abandoned building. I can't remember this being a plot twist. I must add there is a small mistake in lifting capacity if you are not using house rules. Str 17 + power-lifting 4 lifts 50 kilotons, not 200.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Jimmy Olsen! Daily Planet! Lois Lane!)

Post by Ken »

Superman #298, mid-1970s. Clark and Lois actually get busy.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Bonnacon

Re: Space-Boy

Post by Bonnacon »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:06 am Image

SPACE-BOY (Zall-Dix)
Created By:
Otto Binder & George Papp
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #264 (Sept. 1959)
Role: One-Off Bad Guy

-Space-Boy appears as a powerful alien who insists that Superboy change places with him. Like the later Solar Boy, he looks almost like a Legion of Super-Heroes character, and has only one appearance.
To whom did Wolfingham sell the Earth? The tiny image of Space Boy looks an awful lot like the character on that cover.
Davies

Re: Space-Boy

Post by Davies »

Bonnacon wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:05 am
To whom did Wolfingham sell the Earth? The tiny image of Space Boy looks an awful lot like the character on that cover.
Guy went the name Bax. From the story, it seems that he'd never been here before, but they could have come from the same civilization.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Lucy Lane

Post by Jabroniville »

Man I think I’ll take the genocidal maniac.

LUCY LANE (aka Superwoman II)
Created By:
Otto Binder & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #36 (April 1959)
Role: Jimmy Olsen's Girlfriend, Lois Lane's Suddenly Introduced Sister, Crazy Sister (Post-2000s)
PL 12 (195)
STRENGTH
2/15 STAMINA 3/13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fearless, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Superwoman Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [118]
Enhanced Strength 13 (26)
Enhanced Stamina 10 (20)
Power-Lifting 4 (12,000 tons) (4)
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) (15)
Immunity 10 (Life Support) (10)

"Heat Beam" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (36) -- (38)
      
  • AE: "Heat Vision" Blast 13 (Feats: Extended Reach) (27)
          
  • AE: "Ground Pound" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) (28)
"Faster Than a Speeding Bullet"
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (29) -- (33)
      Dynamic AE: Quickness 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
      Dynamic AE: Speed 10 (2,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (11)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
-- (147 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Powersuit Strength +8 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Heat Vision +8 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Heat Beam +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +15 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Jimmy Olsen)- In the Silver Age, Lucy was on and off dating Jimmy.
Relationship (Ron Troupe- Husband)- In the 1990s comics, Lucy was married to Ron Troupe and had a child with him.
Relationship (Sam Lane)- Lucy is eventually desperate to impress her father, Sam Lane, who always preferred Lois.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 118 / Defenses: 10 (195)

Lucy Lane- Jimmy's Gal-Pal:
-You know Jimmy Olsen was a major character in the Silver Age when Lois Lane got a retconned SISTER just to give Jimmy a steady girl. Lucy Lane was Jimmy's age, and a blonde-haired stewardess when she debuted. Many stories involved Jimmy's attempts at romancing her, and she sometimes recriprocated- they were on-and-off- a wedding was to take place in Jimmy Olsen #100 but at the very last second editor Mort Weisinger changed his mind and had it annulled. Many comics feature her being impossibly snide, bitchy and rude even by the standards of a Silver Age DC Girlfriend (how many little boys got messed up by seeing women as these incredible nags in comics?).

-She was believed to have DIED in 1972 (I think this is around the time Steve Trevor died in Wonder Woman), but was revived a year and a half later. As this was around when Jimmy's book was cancelled and he was threaded into The Superman Family book, Lucy got a lot less important.

-Lucy returned to continuity Post-Crisis in 1986, now an air traffic controller- she had a brief relationship with Jimmy here, too, and was briefly blind (probably thanks to Lex Luthor poisoning her). Eventually, however, she became the regular girlfriend of Ron Troupe, another Planet staffer, and became pregnant (her father was enraged, but Lucy said it wasn't racism over Ron being black- "he just hates ALL his daughters' beaus")- they were soon married.

Post-2000 Weirdness:
-After many, many, many years gone from the books' stories, Lucy returns with her past unclear- it's unsure if she's still with Ron. She appears bitter with Lois over the believed death of their father, and is now given a backstory of always being overshadowed by Lois, and she joins the military to honor him, in opposition to Lois. She eventually turns up as SUPERWOMAN, empowered by a costume inspired by the short-lived Bronze Age character, working for her father (who is actually alive) to try and kill Agent Liberty. In this form, she is a Supergirl enemy- but Kara accidentally kills Lucy by rupturing her suit's containment field, contorting Lucy's body and blowing it up. However, she survives by stealing the lifeforce of a man who came too close because her suit is magical I guess. She is then transformed into an actual Kryptonian because reasons- she goes insane and is captured by STAR Labs, and seemingly escapes just as continuity ends. So that all sounds very dumb.

Superwoman's Powers:
-Pre-2000, Lucy Lane had no powers and was just some generic backgrounder, either skilled in being a flight attendant or an air traffic controller. Post-2000s she has PL 12 Kryptonian-type powers via a Powersuit. Apparently no senses, I guess, but most of the rest.