Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Maaldor the Darklord

Post by Jabroniville »

"Oh, but I am not your friend, mortal... I am Maaldor! I have lived... forever. I cannot recall a time when I was not-- Mayhap I was born at the instant of creation. I know not."

MAALDOR THE DARKLORD
Created By:
Paul Kupperberg & Curt Swan
First Appearance: DC Comics Presents #56 (April 1983)
Role: Dark Lord (I mean, it's IN HIS NAME!)
Group Affiliations: None

-Maaldor the Darklord is a space-based menace boasting of having existed since the dawn of creation in a parallel dimension. He took over his entire world, but grew bored, eventually summoning Superman & Power Girl to him just to fight. The two heroes were unable to win despite their power, but Superman challenged Maaldor that he'd never win in the long run thanks to his own dark soul, and Maaldor accepted the challenge to "search for my own essence". However, what he saw drove him crazy- eons of life flashing before him and all his energy being used up. He attacked the Green Lantern Corps, attempting to drain the entire Power Battery- the GL Arrkis used multiple GLs' rings to drain him, with the resulting explosion apparently killing them both. So basically, this story was written on drugs!

-However, Maaldor was merely sent back to his home dimension- in Crisis on Infinite Earths, he is mysteriously chosen alongside Mirror Master & Icicle (oh wait, he's one of THOSE guys!) to go back in time to prevent Krona's experiement that creates the Anti-Monitor millennia ago- Krona senses their arrival and effortlessly kills all three. Methinks Marv Wolfman just thought Maaldor was dumb and wanted rid of him- he really stands out alongside those two street-level super-villains, dying alongside them.

-Maaldor is only barely before the Crisis, and is more powerful than Superman & Power Girl combined- he's also immortal and ageless, shoots energy from his eyes, and can maybe see inwardly to view all time itself.
catsi563

Re: Jab’s Builds! (General Zod! Kru-El! Jax-Ur! Lex Luthor!)

Post by catsi563 »

Mercy had an interesting run in JLU she basically took over Lex Corp when lex got arrested with the Legion of Doom, She ended up being competent enough to run lexcorp as good as lex did (especially since she wasnt spending billions trying to outdo superman) She intitally tells Lex offf but he combo schmoozes her and bullies her showing she has a bit of a forced soft spot for him helping him to find Dr Ivo where he awakens Amazo

Mercy goes on to basically hang up on lex when he calls her from jail and essentially tells him to F off taking control of her life and new company
Last edited by catsi563 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:37 am Mercy had an interesting run in JLU she basically took over Lex Corp when lex got arrested with the Legion of Doom, She ended up being competent enough to run lexcorp as good as lex did (especially since she was spending billions trying to outdo superman) She intitally tells Lex offf but he combo schmoozes her and bullies her showing she has a bit of a forced soft spot for him helping him to find Dr Ivo where he awakens Amazo

Mercy goes on to basically hang up on lex when he calls her from jail and essentially tells him to F off taking control of her life and new company
Unfortunately for Mercy, that all ended when Luthor got his pardon, regained control of his company and Mercy went right back to being his girl Friday.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:46 am
MERCY GRAVES
Created By:
Bruce Timm & Paul Dini
First Appearance: Detective Comics #735 (Aug. 1999)
Role: Lex Luthor's Girl Friday, The Kato

-Mercy Graves was Lex Luthor's "Girl Friday" in Superman: The Animated Series, and the concept (a pretty, smartly-dressed lady assassin/henchman) proved good enough that they were like "why NOT put her into the comics?". Unlike many characters, it only took a few years, with her showing up in No Man's Land crossover books as Luthor's right hand. Later, another female bodyguard named Hope shows up- it's suggested at points that they may be Amazons, as they have exchanged blows with Superman and recognize Circe on-sight. However, this is ignored and Hope disappears. Like in the show, Mercy is less amoral than Luthor, occasionally showing sympathy for Superman. She is in the backdrop of a couple of 52 issues, and shows inclinations of wanting to reform in the newer Infinity Inc. book, but quits the team after nearly beating a man to death, accepting that she's not "hero material". Cry For Justice officially states that she is an Amazon, but it's casually mentioned by Prometheus. But for the most part is barely above "henchman" in importance, given little backstory
I've got to say, the idea of Mercy and Hope being Amazons is a neat idea and one I completely buy as being 100% Lex

"So there's an island full of impossibly beautiful warrior women who are super strong and most of whom don't care for men? I'm going to get TWO of them to be my own personal servants / bodyguards."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

As Amazons in "Man's World" I assumed that Mercy and Hope were specifically Amazons of Bana-Mighdall (same group as Artemis), rather than being from Themyscria, since the latter group eschewed travelling to the world of men.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:37 am Mercy had an interesting run in JLU she basically took over Lex Corp when lex got arrested with the Legion of Doom, She ended up being competent enough to run lexcorp as good as lex did (especially since she was spending billions trying to outdo superman) She intitally tells Lex offf but he combo schmoozes her and bullies her showing she has a bit of a forced soft spot for him helping him to find Dr Ivo where he awakens Amazo

Granted, that's basically like 2 minutes of screentime, lol.
Jabroniville

Bibbo Bibbowski

Post by Jabroniville »

BIBBO BIBBOWSKI (Bo Bibbowsky)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Jerry Ordway
First Appearance: The Adventures of Superman #428 (May 1987)
Role: Soft Tough Guy
PL 6 (61)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Bartender) 6 (+6)
Insight 3 (+3)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Sooperman)- Bibbo has great respect for the Man of Steel, and will defend his honor to anyone.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (61)

-Wait... 1987? This Popeye-looking guy with the ridiculous name ISN'T a Golden Age character? I could have sworn this had to have been one of those ancient Action Comics backup features like Aquaman or Johnny Quick who someone brought back as a gag, but nope! Jerry Ordway created him! Jerry says he's based off of a real life friend of his named Jo Jo Kaminski, a "hard as nails softie". In the comics, he owns a bar in Suicide Slum called the Ace o' Clubs, and when Superman comes in looking for information, Bibbo punches "some clown in a Superman suit", injuring his hand. He gains respect for his "fav'rit hero" and defends him to others. He engages in other comic shenanigans, like getting drunk with Lobo when he was supposed to be recording Lobo killing Superman- he later wins the lottery and uses the money to help those in the Slum. He shows other kindness, like injuring himself attempting to revive Superman after his death fighting Doomsday, and confronting a man selling "Death of Superman" souvenirs at a commemoration of the hero... only to realize the man was homeless thanks to Doomsday's rampage- feeling sympathy, he buys the entire inventory and gives the man a job at the Ace o' Clubs. He later saves a white dog he names "Krypto".

-The character largely disappears in the intervening years, but pops up from time to time- Ordway used him in his short JSA arc, talking trash to Atom Smasher for disrespecting "Sooperman".

-Bibbo is a big tough guy, but not an overwhelming threat and couldn't defeat any super-villains or anything.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:57 pm As Amazons in "Man's World" I assumed that Mercy and Hope were specifically Amazons of Bana-Mighdall (same group as Artemis), rather than being from Themyscria, since the latter group eschewed travelling to the world of men.
Mercy and Hope being from Apocalypse could also work. Like they're former Female Furries who got stranded on Earth and who Luthor hired. Maybe Luthor has them psychologically conditioned to transfer their loyalty to Darkseid over to him, or he convinces them to work for him by reminding them of Darkseid while giving them better perks.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Having just re-read Death and Return of Superman, Bibbo actually had a lot of heart and gave some real soul to the book, giving us a relatively common man inspired to be better by Superman and actually emulated Superman's better qualities.

Like, after Superman dies, Bibbo does what he can to help folks out, handing out food to homeless people, only to learn a woman had just drowned a liter of puppies because they had no food and she didn't want the to suffer. Bibbo immediately dives into the water, pulls out the bag with the dogs and thinks he's failed when none of them move . . . Until one of them does. When someone calls it a miracle, Bibbo talks about how his pal Superman knew that "Miracles happen every day. Sometimes they just need a little elbow grease to get em started." It's a nice, touching little scene with some humanity, and it's honestly a shame the Super books dropped him along with a lot of the newer supporting cast.

Ken

Re: Bibbo Bibbowski

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:15 pm
BIBBO BIBBOWSKI (Bo Bibbowsky)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Jerry Ordway

Jerry Ordway created him! Jerry says he's based off of a real life friend of his named Jo Jo Kaminski, a "hard as nails softie".
Bibbo had a brother, a scientist and professor, who taught at Fawcett College in Fawcett City. This was, of course, when Ordway was writing "Power of Shazam". Superman got a Bibbowsky in his supporting cast... Captain Marvel got a Bibbowsky in his supporting cast.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Re: Bibbo Bibbowski

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:15 pm -The character largely disappears in the intervening years, but pops up from time to time- Ordway used him in his short JSA arc, talking trash to Atom Smasher for disrespecting "Sooperman".
He most recently popped up in an issue of Superman: Man of Tomorrow, the Digital First series that ran in 2020.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Superwomen

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPERWOMAN:
-The notion of a female version of Superman is ancient as hell, but curiously the "Superwoman" name has only been used for one-offs and side characters for the most part- SuperGIRL is the only real female variant.

The first "Superwoman" is naturally Lois Lane, who takes the name in a dream where she gets a blood transfusion from the Man of Steel and gains his powers. The theme is revisted often, via inventions, magic spells, etc. Many Pre-Crisis "Imaginary Stories" (ie. ones completely out of continuity, stated as such on the covers and within) feature her gaining powers as well.

Among the weirdest is Luma Lynai, a "Superwoman" from the alien planet of Staryl. In this horrifying tale, Supergirl decides that she doesn't want her cousin to be lonely, but he says he likes HER more than any other woman, so she's like "Okay- I'll just find him a girl who LOOKS like me!" and hooks him up with a near-exact counterpart (but older). Luma gains powers from orange suns, and cannot to near a yellow one- this means that she & Superman can't be together.

A third Superwoman is the Wonder Woman counterpart of Earth-3, part of the Crime Syndicate. This one is the only recurring character of the lot. This character dies in the Crisis, but is returned in Grant Morrison's Earth Two story.

Some comics feature gender-swapped versions of Superman- Superman/Batman also features such a tale. One named Laurel Kent (sharing a name with one of Clark's descendants in the Legion of Super-Heroes' future) is from Earth-11.

Kristin Wells is a descendant of Jimmy Olsen from the far future, and she uses future-tech to showcase super-powers as "Superwoman". She does not appear often.

In more recent times, obsessive Superman fan Dana Dearden becomes "Superwoman", but is christened "Obsession" by Jimmy Olsen.

Finally, most recently, Lois Lane's sister Lucy went insane and wore a costume that gave her Kryptonian powers- calling herself "Superwoman", she was killed when the suit ruptured, but its magical/tech nature resurrected her with inborn powers.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

I have the vaguest dammed memory of a Superwoman who was a Kryptonian and a space dwelling bounty hunter. She may have been from that one plot arc and never appeared again, but I remember that costume. The black one piece with the red S on it. I can't find her on Wikipedia or DC's Fandom, but I remember her.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Davies

Post by Davies »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:16 am I have the vaguest dammed memory of a Superwoman who was a Kryptonian and a space dwelling bounty hunter. She may have been from that one plot arc and never appeared again, but I remember that costume. The black one piece with the red S on it. I can't find her on Wikipedia or DC's Fandom, but I remember her.
Karsta Wor-Ul, appeared in three issues written by Kurt Busiek.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Davies wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:24 am
EternalPhoenix wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:16 am I have the vaguest dammed memory of a Superwoman who was a Kryptonian and a space dwelling bounty hunter. She may have been from that one plot arc and never appeared again, but I remember that costume. The black one piece with the red S on it. I can't find her on Wikipedia or DC's Fandom, but I remember her.
Karsta Wor-Ul, appeared in three issues written by Kurt Busiek.
Thank you.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Jabroniville

Superwoman (Wells)

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPERWOMAN IV (Kristin Wells)
Created By:
Elliot S. Maggin
First Appearance: Superman- Miracle Monday (1981)
Role: Distaff Counterpart (Sorta)
PL 8 (123)
STRENGTH
1/10 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+4)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Teacher) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 1 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Gravity Distribution Flightbelt" (Flaws: Removable) [13]
Flight 8 (500 mph) (16 points)

"Opal Amulet" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [56]
Enhanced Strength 9 (18)
Protection 9 (Extras: Impervious 3) (12)
Movement 1 (Time Travel) (2)
Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (2)
Mind-Reading 4 (Flaws: Limited to Emotions) (4)

Teleport 10 (Extras: Accurate) (30) -- (31)
  • AE: Insubstantial 4 (20)
-- (69 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Opal-Borne Strength +5 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2 (+11 Amulet), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Helping Superman)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 69 / Defenses: 8 (123)

-The one version of "Superwoman" I always remembered ever since I was in my early 20s and first learned about her, Kristin Wells is a descendant of Jimmy Olsen's from the 29th century. She appeared in Elliot S. Maggin's novel Superman: Magic Monday. There, she was a teacher, interested in history- especially the secret identity of the mysterious "Superwoman", the last superhero from the 20th century whose secret identity had never been uncovered. She convinces the authorities of her time to send her to the past on a fact-finding mission. Using gear from her timeline to mimic superpowers (flight, teleportation, empathy, precognition & telekinesis), Kristin is forced to help Superman fight King Kosmos, and quickly realizes that SHE is the mythical Superwoman after all! Maggin would bring Kristin to the comics- there, she would reveal the truth to Superman, then returned to the 20th century on occasion to ensure that all of Superwoman's adventures happened as recorded. However, Kristin suffered amnesia after an injury- her boyfriend then petitioned the government to ban time travel. Her adventures from then on go unrecorded.

-I actually REALLY like her costume- different from all the other Super-gear, it keeps the logo and color scheme, making the usual "big color down the middle" costume look a lot better, and the facemask with the hair coming out the back is classic "1970s comics" to me.

-As Superwoman, Kristin used a Flight Belt and an Amulet, the latter of which gave her high-powered strength and durability, as well as teleportation and intangibility. And... empathy. By time travel. You know- the usual!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.