Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cameron Hodge! Captain Britain! Psylocke!)

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:07 pm Funny thing about Brian is just how dopey he was under Claremont. Which is odd, because he'd both written the character before, and LOVED the UK in general. He often had his X-Men visit there on vacation, and seemed to look back fondly on the nation he once called home as a boy. Yet his Brian? Total doofus.

Personally, I'm glad they kept his Power Level where it was in MI-13. Powerful, but not insane. It appears that other books Enhanced his PL, because in Cornell's book, someone even made a comment comparing him pretty evenly to his old self. They just stuck "Gladiator Confidence Caveats" onto him, though that didn't come up much. Heck, his biggest "Feat" was killing that Magic Skrull, but even that was only pulled off via Excalibur being in his hand at the time.
Some of Brian's recent feats have been:
Punching the head off of a super Skrull with the combined powers of the Squadron Supreme.
Physically manipulating and destroying a spell that stopped anyone being able to enter British airspace.
Lifted a massive Mastermold sentinel that was easily taller than any of the buildings around it and quickly flew it out into space (Presumably so it would be destroyed on reentry)
After a quick pep-talk from Thor he manages to hold back the Phoenix force on his own for a time, something a whole team of Avengers had previously failed to do.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p942322

Hah- my original post where I noted the popularity of my JLU builds. Apparently back then the norm was only 2-3 comments per build, so I guess everything is normal here. I can drop the pity party :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:50 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:07 pm Funny thing about Brian is just how dopey he was under Claremont. Which is odd, because he'd both written the character before, and LOVED the UK in general. He often had his X-Men visit there on vacation, and seemed to look back fondly on the nation he once called home as a boy. Yet his Brian? Total doofus.

Personally, I'm glad they kept his Power Level where it was in MI-13. Powerful, but not insane. It appears that other books Enhanced his PL, because in Cornell's book, someone even made a comment comparing him pretty evenly to his old self. They just stuck "Gladiator Confidence Caveats" onto him, though that didn't come up much. Heck, his biggest "Feat" was killing that Magic Skrull, but even that was only pulled off via Excalibur being in his hand at the time.
Some of Brian's recent feats have been:
Punching the head off of a super Skrull with the combined powers of the Squadron Supreme.
Physically manipulating and destroying a spell that stopped anyone being able to enter British airspace.
Lifted a massive Mastermold sentinel that was easily taller than any of the buildings around it and quickly flew it out into space (Presumably so it would be destroyed on reentry)
After a quick pep-talk from Thor he manages to hold back the Phoenix force on his own for a time, something a whole team of Avengers had previously failed to do.
1) Super-Skrulls are ultra jobbery- never saw a single one in that entire Event I'd put above PL 8 :).
2) yeah, that was cool, and a fun way to diffentiate him from other Flying Bricks. I even tossed in a feature for that kind of thing.
3) That was another series- Marvel's other books seem to have given him yet another upgrade.
Jabroniville

Meggan

Post by Jabroniville »

Child-birthin' hips for the win.

MEGGAN (Meggan Braddock, nee' Puceanu, aka Glorianna)
Created By:
Alan Moore & Alan Davis
First Appearance: The Mighty World of Marvel #7 (Dec. 1983)
Role: Miss Fanservice, Shapeshifter, Alien Girl
Country of Origin: England
Group Affiliations: Excalibur, MI-13
PL 9 (193)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 5 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Persuasion 4 (+9) -- Flaws: Limited to Animals
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Attractive, Ranged Attack 9, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Empathy & Shapeshifting"
Mind Reading 8 (Flaws: Limited to Emotions) [8]
"Emotion Control" Affliction 4 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception Range +2) [12]
Comprehend 2 (Speak To & Understand Animals) [4]

"Elemental Control Via Earth Empathy"
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Morph 3 (Humanoid Forms) [15]
Shapeshift 8 [64]
(common powers: Super-Strong Forms, Elemental Forms, Energy Blasts, Earth/Air/Water Control, Mimicking Super-Humans)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Shapeshifting +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Ranged Attacks +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+9 Shapeshifting), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerable (Mind/Emotion Control)- Meggan is more easily controlled than most by Mental attacks.
Weakness (Leaving British Soil)- Meggan's health and powers decrease rapidly when she is not on English soil- the result could kill her.
Relationship (Brian Braddock)- Meggan has loved Captain Britain for years; his flirtacious relationship with Courtney Ross bothered her greatly. By comparison, she has flirted with both Nightcrawler and Colossus.
Quirk (Takes Expected Forms)- Meggan's empathy occasionally causes her powers to activate automatically, and she grows more attractive or more ugly based off of her emotional state, or others' perceptions of her.
Responsibility (Naiive)- Meggan was largely raised by the television, and is often clueless about current (or even recent) events (she did not know who Doctor Doom was, for example), and doesn't know how to act in certain situations.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 113 / Defenses: 16 (193)

-Not a big Meggan fan. Her costumes were at-best uninventive and weird-looking in a super-hero book, and her powers were just straight-up all over the place. She was kinda funny in Excalibur as the "Outsider" to human ways who was silly, shy and nervous all the time, but she paled in comparison to Kitty & Nightcrawler's characterization. She's probably one of the lesser-known X-themed characters out there. Also, what's up with a Roma child growing up with natural blonde hair (even without shapeshifting, her totally normal form is just slightly more alien-looking than her regular "Pamela Anderson with pointy ears" look)?

-Meggan was born woth fur, and an "empathic metamorph" power that led her to grow more freakish as her family got more and more horrified. It wasn't until Meggan (who was largely "raised by television") was told that she had a beautiful soul that she suddenly grew beautiful herself, gaining her trademark form. She would meet up with Captain Britain, soon becoming his traveling companion. Eventually, the two became lovers. She followed him to Excalibur, becoming the character least focused on of the main group. One of her few major arcs was a serious crush on Nightcrawler (who reciprocated). As the series ends with her & Brian getting married, and they go on to rule a mystical realm for a while.

-It says something that nearly everything involving Captain Britain after that early run on Excalibur tends to ignore the woman who became HIS WIFE in the finale of that book. I mean, she'd vanished for almost all of Captain Britain & MI-13 (she was thought-dead after sacrificing herself to save the universe in House of M), as well as numerous other revamps and uses of the guy- it's like Marvel wants to use Brian, but has no use for his wife, turning her into a kind of Sacrificial Girlfriend. Though it was fun in MI:13, watching her lead an army through Hell, as her innate goodness allowed her to mess with the power of the Hell Lords and free their captive souls.

-What is it with these X-types and being pains in the ass to build? Problematically, Meggan basically had Powers As The Plot Demands, being a super-powerful Shapeshifter who could adapt to any situation, so she ends up having 45 points to put wherever she wants (usually copying another super-human, just growing big & strong monster-style, or blasting away with elemental powers), which is an expensive damn power (as it should be- she's apparently mimicked Colossus, Rachel Summers and even the SILVER SURFER once, but we'll just call that an Extra Effort instance to save my brain), in addition to some side benefits like reading emotional states (in MI: 13, she began altering the emotions of Demons in Hell, effortlessly turning them against their masters en masse, resulting in the creation of her own kingdom- Demons are apparently highly-vulnerable to Empathic attacks, and her own powers increased around this time). She's heavily Complicated, as she's fatally vulnerable to being away from English soil for too long, and I figure her for a PL 9 overall (at peak Toughness, she'd likely drop some Defenses to avoid breaking caps)- she never came across as that powerful- just versatile.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Crazy Gang

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CRAZY GANG:
-Oh hey, look! It's an entire group of deliberately-silly, goofy-looking characters with insane, random personalities! That's totally not my least-favorite, most-hated kind of super-group!

-The Crazy Gang are another weird set of characters created for the adventures of Captain Britain for Marvel's UK branch in the early '80s. But seriously, things like this just don't strike me as particularly clever. When you get right down to it, giving someone a silly name and an insane personality is one of the easiest jokes you can make in comics- any idiot can randomly create a team just as silly as the Great Lakes Avengers or Crazy Gang with a couple minutes' time. It's just going for the easiest-possible gag. Jokes are a little better when they're EARNED (take Big Bertha from the GLA- being a hot chick who turns into a big fat chick is a little amusing... but Deadpool going on a date with her because he's a chubby-chaser, and unable to find her hot version attractive? Now THAT's funny- it's based off of character and the unexpected; not just a standard sight gag and silly name).

-Naturally, because it's a CAPTAIN BRITAIN story, there has to be two nearly-identical versions of the team, one from the original "Mad Jim Jaspers" reality, and one from the mainstream Marvel one. Jaspers, completely crazy and all-powerful, created the Crazy Gang on a whim to be agents of his will. All based off the drug-inspired Wonderland tales, the Crazy Gang attack our reality's Captain Britain, but are killed along with their entire reality by Saturnyne's successor, Mandragon.

-Later, Alan Moore would have his fancy struck by Jaspers and the Gang, and brought both back in the "616" Universe. Jaspers again created the Gang, but was killed shortly afterwards- however, unlike most of his changes to reality, they stuck around. But in an incompetent, rudderless fashion, where they'd try to rob banks, but their stupidity would make them screw it up. Brian Braddock's foe the Slaymaster managed to lead them for a while, but they leave him when it's revealed to them that he was faking insanity to get them to follow him. Later on, they kidnap Courtney Ross for Arcade, then face Excalibur- a body-switching story ensues.

-They got a bit of a happy ending, as they found Joyboy of the Technet, and his "give them their fantasies" power allowed them to create a silly land of their own design- they invited several lonely old people to join them, and even Excalibur let them be in the end, as this plan for once harmed no one. However, a later writer would of course undo this, in a cast of Back-To-Basics Syndrome- Joyboy returns to the Technet and the Executioner is destroyed. However, they are invited to Captain Britain's wedding to Meggan, and this is the last we ever saw of them.

-Random, goofy and so one-note they might as well be Kill-O-Bots, the Crazy Gang are fairly low-level and cost very little points- their mental faculties are not with them in the slightest, and their stats are based entirely around hitting stuff.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Meggan

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:39 pm Image

Child-birthin' hips for the win.

MEGGAN (Meggan Braddock, nee' Puceanu, aka Glorianna)
Created By:
Alan Moore & Alan Davis
First Appearance: The Mighty World of Marvel #7 (Dec. 1983)
Role: Miss Fanservice, Shapeshifter, Alien Girl
Country of Origin: England
Group Affiliations: Excalibur, MI-13
PL 9 (193)
I get the feeling that, these days Meggan would be written as like Starfire from the Teen Titans animated series. Her shapeshifting powers were pretty nuts, I remember some story where she was able to mimic the powers of the entire X-Men, one at a time. Of course, seeing Wolverine's hairy ass in Meggan's outfit was funny, as was her realization that now that she looked like Wolvie, she had picked up Logan's love of cigars.

Huh, I guess that makes her one of Marvel's first "gender fluid" characters, but that's a line of dialogue best avoided.

It also seemed like, later on, writers focused more on making her a kind of empathic spellcaster than a shapeshifter. They also probably should have just gone ahead and make her a Fae, or a half-human/half-faerie hybrid.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 am Two recent builds of Psylocke, both missing the bendy straw spine. I'm going to start going to the manufact;h complaints.

Yeah, there's just nobody in comic's worse for artists engaging in those kinds of shenanigans. Her status as "Queen of Fanservicey Poses" means they jut her ass WAY out there, even moreso than normal.
Jabroniville

The Jester (Crazy Gang)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE JESTER II
Created By:
David Thorpe, Paul Neary & Alan Davis (Original), Alan Moore & Alan Davis (616 Version)
First Appearance: Marvel Superheroes #377 (Sept. 1981- Original), The Mighty World of Marvel #10 (March 1984- 616 Version)
Role: Joke Villain
Group Affiliations: The Crazy Gang
PL 6 (51)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+2)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Insane)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (51)

-The Jester is a spritely, acrobatic fighter, and fashions himself as the group's leader, much to the Knave's displeasure.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Knave

Post by Jabroniville »

THE KNAVE (aka The Jack of Hearts II, The Knave of Hearts)
Created By:
David Thorpe, Paul Neary & Alan Davis (Original), Alan Moore & Alan Davis (616 Version)
First Appearance: Marvel Superheroes #377 (Sept. 1981- Original), The Mighty World of Marvel #10 (March 1984- 616 Version)
PL 6 (41)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Insane)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (41)

-The Knave of Hearts is rather super-strong, but is also rather insecure and easily-led. He and the Jester frequently argue over the leadership of the Crazy Gang.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Captain Britain! Psylocke! Revanche! Meggan!)

Post by Ken »

As it was an X-book, I could never get into Excalibur, but I did like Davis' art, particularly on Meggan.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Re: Meggan

Post by M4C8 »

I remember reading that issue of Excalibur, when Meggan took Logan's form/powers she had bones claws, I don't know when the issue was released but I think it was a couple of years before it was established that bone claws were a part of Logan's mutation.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

The Red Queen

Post by Jabroniville »

THE RED QUEEN
Created By:
PL 2 (9), PL 3 (9) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+0)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Insane)

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (9)

-The Red Queen exists beyond the threshold of "One-Note"- her literal only purpose in the stories is to shout "ORF WIV 'IS 'EAD!", in what I presume is a Cockney accent, as even ENGLISH writers have fun taking the piss out of that'n. I may be exaggerating even giving her ranks in anything at all.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Executioner (Crazy Gang)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE EXECUTIONER II
Created By:
PL 6 (38)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Intimidation 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Axe +3, Penetrating 5)

Powers:
"Android"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 6 [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Axe +4 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Responsibility (The Red Queen's Will)

Total: Abilities: -8 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 7 (38)

-The Executioner is an android for whatever reason, and he never speaks. His only role is to attempt to chop off the head of whomever the Red Queen has targeted with her trademark phrase. It was once destroyed, but has been repaired before. I mean, it's a ROBOT.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Tweedledope

Post by Jabroniville »

TWEEDLEDOPE
Created By:
PL 4 (30)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Expertise (Animal Handling) 8 (+6) -- Flaws: Limited to Rodents
Intimidation 4 (+2)
Technology 10 (+9)

Advantages:
Inventor

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Insane)

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (30)

-HOHOHO HIS NAME IS LIKE "TWEEDLEDUM" BUT IS INSTEAD "TWEEDLEDOPE" BECAUSE HE IS EVEN GOOFIER, YOU SEE! Tweedledope, however, is a bit of an Idiot Savant (emphasis on the "idiot")- able to build pieces of advanced technology despite usually only saying "Yuk! Yuk!" to himself and training rats.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lionheart

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN BRITAIN II/LIONHEART (Kelsey Shorr-Leigh)
Created By:
Chuck Austen & Olivier Coipel
First Appearance: The Avengers (vol. 3) #77 (March 2004)
Role: Replacement Scrappy, Forgotten Avenger
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Captain Britain Corps.
Avengers Grade: D-Level
PL 9 (108)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Teacher) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Sword Blast) 6 (+9)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

"The Sword of Might" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
Blast 8 (16) -- (18 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (10)
  • AE: Force Field 5 (Extras: Affects Others 8) (13)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Sword of Might +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Sword Blast +9 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 20), Toughness +5 (+10 Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Children)- Because of her use of the Sword of Might over the Amulet of Protection, she can no longer see her children. For some reason.
Responsibility (Bad Past)- Kelsey has Rape As Backstory, and was scarred as a result of it, mentally and physically.
Normal Identity- When not using Captain Britain's powers (she must touch an Amulet to transform), Kelsey is limited to Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0 & Fighting 4.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 9 (108)

-I think Captain Britain II (aka Lionheart) may just have the title of shortest run as an Avenger. Chuck Austen (most hated writer in comics history) created her for his brief run, and she only stuck around for a couple months, before being sent back to England as a failed character post-Disassembled (which rebooted the team with a whole new roster just months after Austen drove it into the ground). Chris Claremont actually seems to have used her in Excalibur, as she fits his prototypical "Angry Woman Who Hates Stuff" (say what ypu will, but he's one of the only writers willing to use newbies he himself did not create), but don't expect to hear much from her, as she only lasted an arc as a side-character. She's basically a failed character; an attempt at renewing an old name with a new person (made more redundant by the eventual return of Brian Braddock). She'd probably be the Worst Avenger Ever, if Doctor Druid didn't get such a big push as a character, then turn evil.

-Kelsey was a rape victim who'd been disfigured by one of her rapists (her husband was paralyzed with fear and did nothing; his guilt would lead to divorce). She ended up in the middle of a super-fight, being fatally injured saving Captain America from Thunderball of the Wrecking Crew (yes, really- Austen actually wrote a pretty "realistic" version of what would happen between a human and a Class 10). When given the same choice Brian Braddock was, between the Sword or the Amulet, she chose the weapon. This made her a warrior, but caused her to be lost to her children, because magic.

-Kelsey stuck with the Avengers for an arc before disappearing. She ended up fighting the original Calt. Britain before seeing the error of her ways- Pete Wisdom ensured she was reunited with her children.

-Overall, she's a PL 8.5 offense/PL 9 defense type of character, with a Force Field, a Blast and a Sword, but she can't use all three at once, making her much less effective overall. She would've been a half-decent background character with any kind of a push, but she just never ended up getting one, so PL 9 she remains. She's kind of a mini version of a Flying Brick or a Scrapper, with some Blaster thrown in, but she doesn't specialize enough to be truly good.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.