Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Kryptonite Man! Livewire! Psi! Brainiac!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:49 pm Wasn’t Brainiac’s force field basically impenetrable even for the Silver-Age Superman?
*shrug* I don't think I've ever seen a Silver Age Brainiac story in my life. Maybe? I left it on as a power, seeing as how I had left on the stuff from the robot version by accident XD.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Silver Age Brainiac

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:43 pm Brainiac- Superman's #2 Foe:
He actually predates the somewhat-insulting term "brainiac", but was inspired by a toy computer "Brainiac Computer Kit".
JDRook wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:06 pm Huh. I guess the name is ultimately more inspired by ENIAC, the first programmable computer, than rhyming with "maniac."
. . . *sigh* okay brain, you won't stop til I get it out of my head. Let's do this:

Just a steel android on an outer space flight
Looking for a planet with life.
Cloaking field ensure no one sees him at all
They all say that he's crazy

Locks coordinates, make the hyperdrive start
Charging past the speed of light
Launch the probe with the analysis drone
While considering getting some pants.

The planet's teeming with life
Its sun burns with yellow fire
It's the world where the Kryptonian will be.

He's a Brainiac, Brainiac, back for more
And he's going to kill Superman this time for sure.

Sung to She's a Maniac
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It's time for Evil Brainiacs
And we’re baddies to the max
Until the big climax
And our evil schemes collapse
Evil Brainiacs!

Come join the Coluan androids (but not the lame Querl Dox)
Just for fun, we fly around putting cities in a box
Supes lock us in space-prison whenever we get caught
But we break loose and then vamoose, and now you know the plot!

Evil Brainiacs!
One wears pink and Two’s a cop
Thirteen’s big plot was a flop,
(While Five lets Kara top)
Evil Brainiacs!

Like Luther and Sinestro, we want to rule the universe
Legion of Doom gets together
Catwoman steals your purse
Batman chases Joker while Riddler writes a verse
The editor flipped
We have no script
Why bother to rehearse?

Evil Brainiacs.
We have L.E.G.I.O.N. contacts
We're baddies to the max
(Where’s our freakin’ slacks?)
We're insane-y in the membrane-y
(Now say our name-y)
Evil Brainiacs!

Those are the facts!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Modern Brainiac

Post by Jabroniville »

I have no idea which of these are which version. But the one with the Van Dyke is the "Milton Fine" one!

BRAINIAC- Modern
Created By:
Otto Binder & Al Plastino
First Appearance: Action Comics #242 (July 1958)
Role: Evil Future Robot
PL 11 (281)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 12 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 9 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 13 (+25)
Expertise (History) 12 (+24)
Intimidation 9 (+8)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 5 (+8)
Technology 13 (+25)
Treatment 4 (+16)
Vehicles 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 20 (Brainiac Ship, Computers, Force Field, etc.), Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Skill Mastery 2 (Science, Technology), Ultimate Technology Skill, Ultimate Science Skill, Well-Informed

Powers:
Protection 11 (Extras: Impervious 11) [22]
Blast 11 (Feats: Split) [23]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Communication (Technology) 4 [20]
Immortality 1 (Flaws: Requires Computer Access) [1]
Immunity 40 (Fortitude, Mental Effects) [40]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Blasts +11 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +11, Fortitude --, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Collection of All Knowledge, Then Destroying Everything)- It's a little strange at times.
Enemy (Superman)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 76--38 / Advantages: 37 / Powers: 130 / Defenses: 16 (281)

Post-Crisis Brainiac:
-Brainiac was reimagined Post-Crisis as the actual Vril Dox, a radical Coluan scientist attempting to overthrow the Computer Tyrants of Colu- sentenced to death, his consciousness was sent light years away to an Earth sideshow mentalist named Milton Moses Fine, "The Amazing Brainiac". He turned out to have actual psychic powers, but Dox took him over, and went on a murder spree to collect spinal fluid to retain possession of Fine's telepathic body. Post-Byrne, Brainiac has some LexCorp people build him the familiar skull ship, then genetically-engineers a new Coluan-looking body with the same psychic powers. He returns in Panic in the Sky, taking over the mobile planetary fortress Warworld and attacks both the New Gods & Earth, using "Matrix" (aka the Post-Crisis Supergirl), but Supergirl fights back and he's rendered inert. Later, Brainiac returns in Fine's body, but the body is irreparably damaged in battle with Superman, and Brainiac possesses DOOMSDAY for a time, then tries to create a Doomsday clone out of Pete Ross & Lana Lang's baby when Doomsday becomes too enraged to control. Ultimately, Brainiac enters a completely robotic body, bringing us Back To Bas--- well, not ENTIRELY Basics, since he wasn't like that until the Bronze Age. But "Brainiac 2.5" is now a robot.

-Brainiac becomes "Brainiac 13" quickly thereafter, upgrading himself via his future self coming to the past and taking over the body. He controls Metallo and other android characters, but is beaten by the Metal Men and others. But he proves himself helpful in the Imperiex War, being instrumental to the defeat of the cosmic menace Imperiex... then using his technology to ravage Earth & Apokolips. He is only beaten when Luthor turns on him and combines temporal displacement tech with Darkseid's Boom Tube tech, boosted by magic from Tempest & the Amazons, then Superman punches both Brainiac & Imperiex into the Big Bang, where they are destroyed.

-While Brainiac is dead, various things occur: Brainiac 2.5 enters the aged body of Lena Luthor, Lex's daughter, and Brainiac 6 created a "daughter" named Brainiac 8 (Indigo of the new Outsiders team). Finally, a "true" Brainiac appears, containing some Silver Age stuff and establishing that all prior versions were probes, drones, copies, etc. He steals Metropolis (regaining the old "city-stealer" gimmick), appears as a nanotech cluster, etc., finally being responsible for the death of Pa Kent, as Jonathan suffers a fatal heart attack when Brainiac destroys the Kent farm out of spite. He's such a threat that Superman, Luthor, General Zod and others all have to team up against him. Most recently before continuity ended, Brainiac 5 from the LOSH 'verse spared Brainiac death at the hands of General Zod, saving him and bringing him to Vril Dox II of L.E.G.I.O.N. (Brainiac 2), but Lyrl Dox (Brainiac 3) sides with the original and there's a big fight. Brainiac ultimately escapes Colu with a new Pulsar Stargrave in tow.

Brainiac's Powers:
-This incarnation of Brainiac is perhaps the most dangerous threat of the Post-Crisis versions. An earlier version that controls the body of Fine has telepathic powers and the like. His genius is far more advanced (and a tick better than Doctor Doom's OR Mister Fantastic's!), but he can effectively have a totally different build depending on the day, given how he will be in a variety of forms.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:14 pm
greycrusader wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:49 pm Wasn’t Brainiac’s force field basically impenetrable even for the Silver-Age Superman?
Villains’ with force fields are always impenetrable by the heroes they face… for a page or two. Maybe three if they’re really powerful BBEGs.
Hey, can't we ever get a break from you around here?

:lol:

Thanks for coming back!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:46 pm
JDRook wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:06 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:43 pm Brainiac- Superman's #2 Foe:
He actually predates the somewhat-insulting term "brainiac", but was inspired by a toy computer "Brainiac Computer Kit".
Huh. I guess the name is ultimately more inspired by ENIAC, the first programmable computer, than rhyming with "maniac."
Interestingly, my desktop etymological dictionary doesn’t show any citations for brainiac in the “mildly dregoratory general reference to an intelligent person” prior to 1982… Which has got to be an error.
Heya, Batgirl! You're back! This might have been your longest Sab-Bat-Ical to date- almost two years! I was hoping posting Batman Builds in late 2021 would lure you back in, but no such luck! We're stuck with Superman!
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:07 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:46 pm
JDRook wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:06 pm
Huh. I guess the name is ultimately more inspired by ENIAC, the first programmable computer, than rhyming with "maniac."
Interestingly, my desktop etymological dictionary doesn’t show any citations for brainiac in the “mildly dregoratory general reference to an intelligent person” prior to 1982… Which has got to be an error.
Heya, Batgirl! You're back! This might have been your longest Sab-Bat-Ical to date- almost two years! I was hoping posting Batman Builds in late 2021 would lure you back in, but no such luck! We're stuck with Superman!
You did not just make that pun...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It was weird; My access to a lot of websites that you wouldn’t think would be a problem restricted by the ISP I was using in Indonesia. Echoes was a no-go, but Reddit was fine… That sort of thing.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:02 am . . . *sigh* okay brain, you won't stop til I get it out of my head. Let's do this:

Sung to She's a Maniac
*APPLAUDS* Well done, sir.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:20 am
Ares wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:02 am . . . *sigh* okay brain, you won't stop til I get it out of my head. Let's do this:

Sung to She's a Maniac
*APPLAUDS* Well done, sir.
*bows*

Ah thank you. Between this and my chain lightning song I may have a future as the even nerdier Weird Al.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Anomaly

Post by Jabroniville »

ANOMALY (Floyd "Bullets" Barstow)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #148 (April 1972)
Role: Property-Absorbing Villain

-Anomaly is a Jack Kirby original, created by Project Cadmus from the dead body of a gangster. He was cloned and used as a custodian & test subject of Cadmus. However, it gained super-powers thanks to the device of some invader, and now the "Anomaly" could absorb the properties of anything he touched, Absorbing Man-style. He escaped from Cadmus in order to start stealing things, and Morgan Edge's Superman Revenge Squad found and hired him on. However, he was quickly sent to jail by Superman. Intergang used him as an enforcer, but he wasn't evil enough to actually kill their enemy the Guardian, and helped the hero escape. Guardian brought him back to Cadmus, hoping they could help his condition.
Jabroniville

S.T.A.R. Labs

Post by Jabroniville »

S.T.A.R. LABS
Created By:
Len Wein & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Superman #246 (Dec. 1971)
Role: Super-Science Facility

-S.T.A.R. Labs is one of those great "means to and end" comics comes up with following the early Silver Age, and I'm actually shocked it's as old as it is- mostly this kind of thing is from the "Mark Gruenwald" generation of "grew up reading '60s comics" fanboys (though Len Wein KINDA counts). It's more or less a "how do they get all this stuff?" sort of deal, with a "Big Science" feel as assorted labs across the globe work on super-science in large groups.

-It was founded by scientist Garrison Slate, who wanted a chain of research labs independent of governments and business interests- it even succeeded INTERNATIONALLY, with labs all around the world. In Marv Wolfman's Teen Titans, Cyborg's parents both worked there- the experiment into another dimension ran wild, killing Eleanor and maiming their son Victor, who had to be transformed into a man-machine to survive. The first Atomic Skull worked there, and Dr. Emil Hamilton, a big Superman supporting character, did as well. In 1993, a book S.T.A.R.Corps was written about a band of superhumans who'd gained powers at the lab.
Jabroniville

Dr. Emil Hamilton

Post by Jabroniville »

Every other picture of this character on ComicVine is from live action or a cartoon.

DR. EMIL HAMILTON (aka Overmind, Ruin)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Jerry Ordway
First Appearance: The Adventures of Superman #424 (Jan. 1987)
Role: Super-Science Facility

-The somewhat eccentric-looking Hamilton is a recurring character in the Post-Crisis Superman books, created by Marv Wolfman & Jerry Ordway as Superman's primary "Scientist Ally". As Clark in this continuity wasn't the mega-genius the Pre-Crisis Superman was, this kind of character was important. He actually debuted as an apparent villain, using his gadgets to attack Superman to prove that they worked- however, it turned out that he was a former S.T.A.R. Labs scientist who went insane after Lex Luthor stole all of his inventions and patents and took credit for them. When he was released from an asylum, he became Superman's scientific advisor, setting up shop in Suicide Slum. He invented the Phantom Zone Projector and the Superman Robots, and even some devices to mimic Superman's powers when he was de-powered by Mr. Mxyzptlk. He was crushed by Superman's death and lost an arm in a later storyline, then gave Superboy a visor that duplicated Superman's vision powers, helping him get a start on a heroic career of his own.

-However, Hamilton grew resentful when Superman befriended Steel, who effectively "replaced" him as a genius ally to Supes, and became the gang-leader "Overmind", plotting the return of Brainiac 13. However, this was later passed off as Brainiac's technology taking over his cybernetic arm and then himself. He was then revealed as a villain AGAIN in 2005, renaming himself "Ruin".

-The Timmverse shows used Hamilton in a similar role as the comics dead, but made him a very calm, boring scientist type. But he later turns on Superman (after a mind-controlled Supes hurt him, leaving him traumatized), joining up with Project Cadmus in their anti-superhero plotting as their major science agent.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The most dangerous job in a superhero universe is “Mother of Future Hero” (aka Martha) and after that comes “Longterm Female Love Interest” (aka Molly McHostage).

The third most dangerous job is “Super-Genius Scientist who isn’t quite insane enough to become a villain and not quite super-super-genius to become a hero.” Haven’t thought of a pithy name for that one yet, but the risk of being turned into a zombie, a robot, or a dinosaur is astronomical. Some have even become robotic zombie-dinosaurs.
Jabroniville

Vartox

Post by Jabroniville »

Image237.jpg[/img]

VARTOX (aka Vernon O'Valeron)
Created By:
Cary Bates & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Superman #281 (Nov. 1974)
Role: Zardoz Rip-Off
Group Affiliations: None
PL 14 (324)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Hyper-Powers- Powers As The Plot Demands"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Senses 7 (Detect Energy- Acute & Ranged, Precognition) [7]
"Energy Form/Phasing" Insubstantial 4 [20]
"Hyper-Self" Summon 15 (Extras: Heroic +2, Controlled) [75]

"Hyper-Energy Bubbles/Freezing" Snare 14 (Feats: Variable- Energy or Ice) (43) -- [50]
  • AE: Hyper-Energy Blast 16 (32)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended) (30)
  • AE: "Magnetism" Move Object 14 (Flaws: Limited to Ferrous Materials) (14)
  • AE: "Water Control" Move Object 12 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (24)
  • AE: Mind Control 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (40)
  • AE: Communication (Radio) 5 (20)
  • AE: Transform 10 (Real Objects into 2-D Objects) (40)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Hyper-Energy Blast +8 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 32)
Hyper-Bubbles +8 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Mind Control +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +16, Fortitude +16, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Heroism)
Relationship (Lana Lang)- The two were once serious lovers.

Total: Abilities: 120 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 182 / Defenses: 10 (324)

-An open rip-off of Zed, the hero of the drug-addled 1974 picture Zardoz (then an infamous bomb, but now a cult hit for its weirdo aesthetic and Sean Connery in a red diaper with hooker boots), Vartox appeared later that year in Superman, but carried little of the Planet of the Apes knock-off plot of a rebel leading a revolution against an elite society. He is the champion of the planet Valeron in the Sombrero Galaxy (really), somehow gaining great powers. His wife Elyra died tragically, and it was discovered she was linked to a "twin" on Earth, who was fatally shot by a holdup man. Vartox abducted the murderer and imprisoned him for murder- carrying out a 60-year sentence in minutes, which left the man returned to Earth as a decrepit oldster. Superman was apparently cool with this, I dunno. Later, Valeron exploded and Vartox set up on Earth, with Superman giving him a secret identity as a security officer at Galaxy Communications (where Clark Kent worked). There, Vartox fell in love with Lana Lang, but the romance failed. Vartox searched the universe for a new world to protect, and found Tynola, but the inhabitants plotted to sacrifice him to their god Moxumbra. He & Superman defeated the god and he opted to stay on Tynola to protect them. He & Lana were at one point dragged into a revenge plot by Vartox's ex-lover Syreena (who also survived Valeron's destruction)- Lana was turned to stone, but Syreena relented after realizing she still loved Vartox, and restored Lana.

-Vartox's ridiculous appearance made him perfect for parody, but the more serious Post-Crisis DC had no use for him- his last appearance was in 1984, and he did not reappear until the 2000s Power Girl series, now reimagined as a wannabe lothario out to bang the heroine.

-Vartox had a variety of "Hyper-Powers", often showcasing new ones every time he appeared. He had Hyper-Strength equal to Superman's, and could fly (in air or space), blast, turn himself into energy, make nets or bubbles with "Hyper-Energy", phase through solid matter, create a "Hyper-Self" (he was empowered by it, but it could leave his body and carry out his wishes), teleport, control water or magnetism, burn or freeze targets, detect just about anything, control multiple minds at once, see the future, communicate through space, and turn real objects into 2-D ones. Basically he could do ANYTHING as the plot demanded it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.