Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Micromax

Post by Jabroniville »

MICROMAX (Scott Wright)
Created By:
Alan Davis
First Appearance: Excalibur #44 (Dec. 1991)
Role: Forgotten '90s Hero, Shrinking Hero, Growth Guy
Group Affiliation: Excalibur, The Vanguard, F.I.-6, M.I.-13, M.I.-16
PL 9 (106)
STRENGTH 1/12 STAMINA 2/13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Disk Jockey) 4 (+6)
Intimidation +0 (+2/+8 Full Size)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Size Shifting"
"Small Size" Shrinking 16 (-4 Strength, Speed -2, +8 Defenses, +16 Stealth, -8 Intimidation) Linked to Enhanced Fighting 4 & Dodge 2 (42) -- [43]
  • AE: "Huge Size" Growth 10 (Str & Sta +10, +10 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -5 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -10 Stealth) -- (42 feet) (20)
    Growth 3 (+13 Mass, +6 Intimidation, +1 Speed, -13 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-STR & STA Growths) (3)
"Mass-Shifting" Morph 2 (Flaws: Limited to Male Shapes) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Small Size +11 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Full Size +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4
"Small Size" Dodge +11 (DC 11), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4
"Full Size" Dodge -2 (DC 8), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +13, Fortitude +14, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Government Agent)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 4 (106)

-Micromax kind of sucks. He's an Excalibur affiliate who is generally in the "Government Agent who ends up fighting the super-heroes because of an idiotic misunderstanding" vein of super-character, and he generally gets beaten up a lot. His entire history seems to list only one real feat to his name- he grew super-big and surprised the Super-Magic-God Necrom, leaving him vulnerable to other attacks. The rest of the time, he's just getting curbstomped. Like a lot of the guys from Marvel Cards Series IV, it's a total mystery as to why he got a Card of his own, beyond "it was a current storyline and we didn't want to just repeat the same few heroes over and over again in each edition").

-Micromax is PL 9 at full size, sure... but he suffers from the same weakness as almost all Growing Guys- a good enough shot from ANYONE can take him down, because pretty much any character can Power Attack with impunity on someone with -2 to Dodge and +2 to Parry (most heroes are around +8 to +12 in accuracy!).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Meggan! Kylun! Cerise! Nightcrawler!)

Post by Ares »

MicroMax was kind of interesting, in that he was a selective size-shifter, meaning he could make different parts of his body grow and shrink in a way that allowed him to alter his appearance. He was normally a shorter than average, fairly out of shape guy with a receding hairline, but by selectively altering the size of things like his muscles he could give himself a standard superhero build. Though he never really used his ability outside of that, and it wound up being more of a very limited type of Morph than anything extra useful.

Still, MicroMax seems like a guy who was done so little with that any writer wanting to use him would have carte blanche to do whatever they wanted.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Warwolves

Post by Jabroniville »

WARWOLVES (Bowzer, Ducks, Jacko, Popsie & Scarper)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Alan Davis
First Appearance: Excalibur: The Sword is Drawn (April 1987)
Role: Background Monsters
Group Affiliations: Mojo's Wildways
PL 8 (134)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 5 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 8 (+8)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Close Combat 2, Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Metallic Shells"
Protection 3 [3]
"Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 3) [8]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) [20]

"Doglike Anatomy"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent, Tracking) [3]

"Life Drain" Weaken Stamina 8 (Inaccurate -1) [7]
"Wear Drained People's Skin as Sheaths" Morph 3 (Any Humanoid) (Flaws: Limited to Dead & Drained Victims) [12]
"Combined Teleport" Movement 2 (Dimensional Movement 2) (Flaws: Limited to Group Effort) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Life Drain +8 (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Buffoonery)- The Warwolves are pretty low-key most of the time, but have a nasty penchant for skinning people alive and wearing their fleshy remnants as disguises.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 9 (134)

-Warwolves were a recurring comedic foe (as if that book had any other kind) in Excalibur. A group of silver, spikey-looking wolf-things, they had some pretty gross powers and effectiveness belying their looks (sucking people into dry husks of flesh was a pretty devastating power as far as things go). Ganging up on Excalibur often, they were a moderate threat once the team REALLY got going, so eventually there was little danger whenever they showed up.

-In total, there were six of the buggers, so six guys at PL 8 (134) is actually a little dangerous, especially for a relatively small team like Excalibur. They're pretty well-rounded in offense & defense, able to suck beings dry fairly quickly; they're quick, can jump, and are immune to anyone's Mental Blasts or Stuns, which is pretty effective. A team of PL 9s or 10s would view a group of these things as a minor threat eventually, but if they got the jump on the heroes, they'd be pretty dangerous (pretty easy when they can disguise themselves as civilians).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So I was thinking of upcoming stuff to do, and I figured id test the waters to see what interest there was in some stuff. I have the next little bit planned out (I'll probably re-post Spider-Man stuff during my May vacation, since Ares missed them last time - he has to PROMISE he won't pull one of his random disappearing acts around that time :)), but I'm weighing stuff.

Some Options:
1) Teen Titans (re-posts, since I'd done them semi-recently, and the Nu52 means that not much has changed with them)
2) The Legion of Super-Heroes (ditto)
3) X-Men 2099 (entirely new builds; one of the last true "sets" of un-statted Marvel characters)
4) Suicide Squad/Secret Six (mostly new stuff; I've read some of Ostrander's stuff recently, though I lost interest in the Apokolips arc. Simone's stuff holds up, too)
5) Ghost Rider & Friends (old enough to be entirely new commentary)
6) Marvel's Monsters (Dracula, Werewolf By Night, The Nightstalkers, etc.)

Any other older stuff you wouldn't mind seeing re-posted? Any un-statted DC characters of note? I could eventually even *gasp!* do REQUESTS of this nature (Comics. Only.), such is my desire to keep interest in my thread up- I've noticed occasional surges in years past, though sadly it appears that some of my perceived lack of comments comes from the fact that even Ronin Army had a dwindling poster base for years, owing to flagging support for GR products and some people just moving on. The posters who've remained ate as active as ever, which I love and appreciate. But a combination of M&M stuff flagging, my thread already having statted so many big names, and some people just moving on, means that I sometimes detect a lowering of the post count.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey, did anyone check out the first episode of Tangled: The Series? Looks interesting. They even got CLANCY BROWN to play Rapunzel's father. Hearing Lex Luthor sing is a hoot. The central conflict of him being an overprotective father is a bit Frozen, though.

Rapunzel's Lady in Waiting is rad, though. Doffing the dress and becoming the bad-ass Warrior Chick with the bob haircut? Awesome. And Rentheads & Wicked aficionados rejoice at her casting - EDEN ESPINOSA is playing her. She was Idina Menzel's standby for Wicked, and was the final Maureen (which Menzel originated) in Rent. We haven't heard her sing yet here, but she's considered every bit as good as Idina (understudies & standbys are usually just as good as the stars).
Emerald_Flame300

Post by Emerald_Flame300 »

I'd like to see Ghost Rider & Friends or The Legion of Super-Heroes.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

X_Men 2099 & Secret Six get my vote.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Anthanatos

Post by Anthanatos »

And speaking of monsters, would be interested in seeing Shiklah from Deadpool series - haven't read them, but looks like an interesting character.
RomanMetal

Post by RomanMetal »

THE CAPTAIN BRITAIN CORPS:
-It's said that every Universe in the Multiverse has a version of Captain Britain (not always called that), and is designated by a number- it was actually Alan Moore that designated the mainstream Marvel Universe as "616". Mostly we just see our version's, but there are also: …
What? Alan Moore give the regular Marvel Universe the supposedly original Number of the Beast? Seriously ... <_<
(Try to read the entry about this, the number, on Wikipedia and is really confusing).
Some Options:
I will like any of then, but as a fan of horror, the Marvel's Monsters.

Then, I barely post here, but since you don't like horror you can get this out the way.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Throwing an idea out, see if it sticks. Start on a monthly series of themed characters.

April- joke (lethal or otherwise) characters
May- flower power!
July- Captain Ethnics
September- too cool for school, smart characters or those that are supposed to be smart
October- horror and monsters
December- 'cool' characters
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spam

Post by Spam »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:54 am so what's everyone think of Nightcrawler becoming "the religious guy"? Personally, I see Cockrum's point. Though I guess Claremont just wanted SOMEONE on the team to be faithful, and other writers ran with it. I don't recall Claremont's run featuring a ton of religiosity.
I don't understand why Cockrum thought that he can't be religious AND happy go lucky. I mean, a sizable percentage of the world's population is religious in some way or another, and the vast majority of them are perfectly normal and happy people. I haven't read anything with Nightcrawler in over two decades, but it seemed like they avoided making him a caricature of an intolerant, closed minded Catholic. I always thought that it showed that religious people are just people, and those people who use their religion as an excuse to be a-holes would probably be a-holes whether they were religious or not, they would just use a different excuse to justify they a-holedness.

And Germany has a pretty heavy Catholic population, so it made sense.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 am So I was thinking of upcoming stuff to do, and I figured id test the waters to see what interest there was in some stuff. I have the next little bit planned out (I'll probably re-post Spider-Man stuff during my May vacation, since Ares missed them last time - he has to PROMISE he won't pull one of his random disappearing acts around that time :)), but I'm weighing stuff.

Some Options:
1) Teen Titans (re-posts, since I'd done them semi-recently, and the Nu52 means that not much has changed with them)
2) The Legion of Super-Heroes (ditto)
3) X-Men 2099 (entirely new builds; one of the last true "sets" of un-statted Marvel characters)
4) Suicide Squad/Secret Six (mostly new stuff; I've read some of Ostrander's stuff recently, though I lost interest in the Apokolips arc. Simone's stuff holds up, too)
5) Ghost Rider & Friends (old enough to be entirely new commentary)
6) Marvel's Monsters (Dracula, Werewolf By Night, The Nightstalkers, etc.)

Anyother older stuff you wouldn't mind seeing re-posted? Any un-statted DC characters of note? I could eventually even *gasp!* do REQUESTS of this nature (Comics. Only.), such is my desire to keep interest in my thread up- I've noticed occasional surges in years past, though sadly it appears that some of my perceived lack of comments comes from the fact that even Ronin Army had a dwindling poster base for years,
Well, I love your posts with the comments on the character! I Hope that counts!

I like all of your ideas above. For Ghost Rider, maybe do builds of some of the lesser known villains from the original series. Same for the Legion. There were tons of characters, like Sun Woman who had super strength rivalling Night Girl. For monsters, include characters like Gargoyles, lagoon creatures, mummies, tc.

One unstatted character I would like to see is the GL of the 25 century (2473). I know most would say standard GL stats, but he is an alien which may give him powers and he seemed more powerful and skilled than Hal Jordan (at that time) using his power ring. We're the rules, limitations or powers of the ring changed or enhanced in that future time? He only appeared once, but he always intrigued me!

What about Marvel's character, The Guiding Light? She was created over 10 years ago and would be a new and interesting character for you to stat.

Not sure if you did Captain Comet build, but I always thought he was an interesting character, especially being a DC mutant, at a time when DC never said the word "mutant" in their universe.
He has many powers and not sure the "official" build in the book did him justice.

Hope these ideas help!
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 am MicroMax was kind of interesting, in that he was a selective size-shifter, meaning he could make different parts of his body grow and shrink in a way that allowed him to alter his appearance. He was normally a shorter than average, fairly out of shape guy with a receding hairline, but by selectively altering the size of things like his muscles he could give himself a standard superhero build. Though he never really used his ability outside of that, and it wound up being more of a very limited type of Morph than anything extra useful.

Still, MicroMax seems like a guy who was done so little with that any writer wanting to use him would have carte blanche to do whatever they wanted.
His powers are size and mass manipulation, his max height is about sixty feet but he can become far more durable than most other characters with growth powers. Aside from the stunning Necrom by becoming a living meteor his only other memorable 'feat' is causing the Thing to pass out by entering Ben's ear-hole and putting pressure on something inside his head. Also it's not a feat but just before Micromax was downed (By Shatterstar using his magical swords) he was gaining the upper hand in a fight against both Beast and Archangel with Beast stating that hitting him at full size and mass was like 'Punching a battleship'
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I'd like to see the Jab treatment of the Secret Six. And the Legion is always fun.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

If you go with the Legion- there's a Who's Who for that. I might even be able to dig it out.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.