Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Meggan! Kylun! Cerise! Nightcrawler!)

Post by M4C8 »

Given the choice, I'd like to see 2099 builds please.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Suicide Squad sounds good, especially if you include Slipknot. Even though he was only on one mission with the group, he's a jobber,and that makes it worth it. While I'd suggest some un-statted DC characters, they'd mostly just be jobbers. Did you build Lobo in 3E? Also, if you do 2099 stuff, I hope you get to that Ravage 2099 guy. He's not just an alternate version of a pre-existing character (He's not related to the mainstream Ravage characters) and he sucks, so it's perfect build-fodder.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I'm interested in just about all of them, but if I had to narrow it down my vote would be for the Secret Six or Teen Titans.
Formerly luketheduke86
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Definitely fan of the Monsters and if requests are a option OMAC.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, as I explained to Spectrum via Facebook, Ravage 2099 is actually the MOST-IMPORTANT Marvel character yet to be statted. Think about THAT.

I'd originally split the 2099 guys into their own "Letters", but as there's only a few left, I could pump them all out at once.
Jabroniville

Phoenix (Rachel)

Post by Jabroniville »

See, now if she'd have looked like this from the beginning, I might have been a bigger fan.

PHOENIX II (Rachel Summers, aka Rachel Grey, Marvel Girl II)
Created By:
Chris Claremont, John Byrne & John Romita
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #141 (Jan. 1981)
Role: Mary Sue/God Mode Sue, Butch Lesbian (well not really), Yet Another Summers (back when there was only like four)
Country of Origin: The United States (dystopian future)
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, Excalibur
PL 13 (218)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 2 (+3)
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Perception 7 (+8)
Technology 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (TK Attacks) 4 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Power Attack, Ranged Combat 4, Jack-of-All-Trades

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telepathy & Telekinesis, Modified by The Phoenix Force"
"Mental Blast" Damage 13 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Alternate Save- Will) (53) -- [67]
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Communication 3 (Mental- Country-Wide) (Extras: Area, Selective) Linked to Mind Reading 10 (39)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind Control 12 (49)
  • Dynamic AE: "Group Control" Affliction 9 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Cumulative) (37)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telelocation" Senses 8 (Detect Life- Ranged 2, Acute, Postcognition) (Flaws: Postcog Limited to Immediate Area) (7)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Stun" Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (49)
  • Dynamic AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 8 (Sight, Hearing & Mental- 2 miles) (Feats: Subtle, Dimensional) (Flaws: Helpless While In Use) (26)
  • AE: "Mind Switch" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Another) (Extras: Sustained +2) (Flaws: Side-Effect- Ends up in Other Body) (21)
  • AE: "Power Suppression" Affliction 12 (Will; Fatigued/Exhausted/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (49)
Force Field 11 (Feats: Increased Mass 3, Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others, Impervious, Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (48) -- [58]
  • Dynamic AE: TK Blast 15 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Penetrating) (46)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 15 (Feats: Precise) (32)
  • Dynamic AE: Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (40)
  • Dynamic AE: Deflect 12 (12)
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mental Blast +13 Perception (+13 Perception Damage, DC 28)
Mental Attacks +9-12 Perception (+9-12 Perception Afflictions, DC 19-22)
TK Blast +8 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
TK Blasts +13 Area (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Guilt (Former Hound)- Rachel used to actively hunt her own kind, sending them into the camps. It was against her will, but all the same...
Responsibility/Involuntary Transformation (Wields the Phoenix Force)- The Phoenix Force is a Cosmic Entity of unimaginable power, and occasionally goes out of Rachel's control.
Responsibility (Jean Grey's Memory)- When her mother (in another future) dies, Rachel takes up the mantle, rejecting Cyclops' command and becoming "Rachel Grey", the second Marvel Girl.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 139 / Defenses: 18 (218)

-Y'know, for all my complaining about all my issues with this character (Mary Sue! Too Powerful! Future Child of Important Character!), I think it all really just comes down to the fact that I didn't find her attractive when I first started reading. The ultra-short hair, facial tattoo/lines and red onesie just WERE NOT my thing, and I thus resented her. So I've had a natural bias against her from the very start. The fact that Excalibur features character after character going on about her beauty only made it worse.

-But yeah, Rachel hits so many of the Mary Sue Litmus Test categories that it's not even funny. Think about the facts: She's the previously-unknown secret daughter of not one, but TWO canonical characters. She's a replacement for a deceased canon character, with all her powers. She's supposed to be so hot that half the male cast loves her and the female cast is jealous of her (Kitty called her "God's Gift" at one point, when Alistaire Stuart was fawning over her). She's SO over-powered that she's the sole winner of many fights, can brawl with Selene and nearly kill her, can travel through time, and basically come up with powers on the spot. I mean, you could have practically called that f***ing trope The Rachel Summers and have been done with it, before that phrase became well known from the fanfics out there.

-So yeah, not a big fan. She didn't even get as hot as she was supposed to be until Alan Davis started drawing her, and even then, she was a distant third to Kitty & Meggan. The whole "red leather studded bodysuit" is so NOT my thing, unfortunately, to say nothing of the ridiculously dated '80s mullet (a haircut that looks good on no one, man or woman). Her resurrection as a modern-day Jean replacement (with much less powers) was a little better, since she could no longer kill all their enemies by farting, but she's just so far into my "Don't Care" pile that I don't think I'll ever count myself as a fan.

-Rachel Summers of course debuted in the legendary Days of Future Past story arc, showing up as one of many future X-Men- the only one never before seen. With similar powers to Jean Grey (she telepathically sends Kitty Pryde's mind into her younger self, thus preventing their terrible future from coming to pass), we'd eventually learn that she was Jean & Scott's daughter in that future timeline.

-Claremont, true to form, hated letting stuff like this slide. Soon, Rachel would appear in the main timeline, complete with backstory. She was raised as a mutant-hunting "Hound", until she was freed and joined the future X-Men. After saving the main timeline (but of course, hers still existed, because Claremont was weird), she came to it, briefly joining the X-Men and gaining access to the Phoenix Force, albeit at a reduced level compared to what Jean had. She ultimately left after Wolverine stabbed her in order to prevent her execution of the totally-deserving-it Selene, not showing up again until Excalibur: The Sword is Drawn.

-When Excalibur ended, Rachel popped into the timestream to save Captain Britain, at which point she became part of her sorta-brother Cable's backstory as "Askani", the founder of a philosophical movement that opposed Apocalypse, the dark ruler of this timeline. Eventually, after YEARS on the shelf, she is returned to the main timeline, where she retires for a while. She does not rejoin a team until her "mother" dies once more- Rachel (who by this point had lost the Phoenix Force) becomes Marvel Girl, and takes the surname "Grey" after disagreeing with Cyclops' more militaristic actions. Later stories saw her hunted by the Shi'ar (who feared the return of the Phoenix, and slaughtered much of the Grey family), ending up as part of Marvel's Space Scene, where she hooked up with Korvus "Don't Call Me Cloud" Glaive for a while (they split, upon realizing that it's just leftover Phoenix mojo attracting them to each other, as he's descended from another host). She hangs out with the Starjammers for a while, fighting her uncle Vulcan, before moving back to Earth and being a minor background character in numerous stories, not really getting up to anything interesting.

-Honestly, a huge thing with this character is just how UNNECESSARY she really is. I mean, did we need Scott & Jean's future daughter to come down and act as a recurring character? Just a one-off would have been fine. ESPECIALLY we didn't need to see her endlessly over the past several years- she's been a regular in some book or another since friggin' Annihilation came out! And she's done absolutely nothing interesting SINCE then!! This is an unfortunate recurring trend in X-Men characters, sadly- as the roster gets ever-larger, more and more of the background cast just kind of float around, doing nothing as nobodies.

-Yeah, I settled on PL 13 for Rachel- she's extremely powerful, but often quite limited with it, and can still lose and by captured. Weird, She's quite under-Skilled & Advantage, but her raw power makes her the team Super-Heavyweight. She lacks alot of finesse, skill and accuracy, but she can mess up a LOT of people, whipping out a horrific **+20** damage if she uses Power Attack, easily the most devastating attack of all the X-Men. She could possibly be seen as higher in power, but this build is showcasing her lack of finesse and care in battle (Emma Frost could match her telepathically, for instance, and she OFTEN got KOed or otherwise taken out because she wasn't paying attention- she's got +13 Area Attacks, but a PL 11.5 Blast). She also has a very low Will Save for someone who engages in alot of psionic duels, which helps to make her a bit weaker.

-Modern-day Rachel Summers (as Marvel Girl II) loses a dramatic amount of power, roughly evening-out to PL 10. Her Blasts become mere +10/+10 effects, she loses some Mind Control stuff, and her Force Field is weakened.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

The reason Rachel had ultra-short hair I think, is because it was meant to represent her experience being held by the Sentinels in a concentration camp environment. She was also supposed to be very thin.

At that point in the '80's, it seems Marvel was getting rid of the originals and replacing them, or least changing the characters dramatically (Jean dead Rachel represented a replacement of her, Ms Marvel depowered "replaced" by an empowered Rogue, mohawk Storm which was a change in personality too, Maddie Pryor look-a-like if Jean, then becoming empowered, etc).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:52 pm Haha, as I explained to Spectrum via Facebook, Ravage 2099 is actually the MOST-IMPORTANT Marvel character yet to be statted. Think about THAT.

I'd originally split the 2099 guys into their own "Letters", but as there's only a few left, I could pump them all out at once.
Oh wow, that's amazing. Also, I think Punisher 2099 showed up in Spider-Verse, but I'm not sure.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Your Rachael Summers builds just made me remember one of my few experiences with Excalibur was in a Spider-man comic! I don't remember much (it was kind of a confusing story), but I do remember it had D'Spayre and Nightmare toying with everyone only for it to be revealed that it was Arcade behind it the whole time. Oh and Spider-Phoenix was in it too! Strange strange comic...
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:35 pm Your Rachael Summers builds just made me remember one of my few experiences with Excalibur was in a Spider-man comic! I don't remember much (it was kind of a confusing story), but I do remember it had D'Spayre and Nightmare toying with everyone only for it to be revealed that it was Arcade behind it the whole time. Oh and Spider-Phoenix was in it too! Strange strange comic...
I have the same one! It was my introduction to Arcade-i hated him immediately. This was also the issue that marked the exodus of all the Image names- I was upset to see Erik Larsen go.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

If you're taking characters that we're not allowed to talk about, how about the MC2-verse?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Forgot to mention doing Sailor Moon builds, but computer troubles mean those might be dalayed for some time, since I wanted a head start on those.

MC2 is that unique combination of impossible to research and being outside my interest. I think only someone who's readthat could do it.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

I never really minded Rachel if kept in the background, since the Phoenix visual is generally cool. I suspect her presence in the upcoming X-Men Gold, under the new name Prestige, might fail on that score.

I'd love to see a couple 2099 builds.
Jabroniville

Azazel

Post by Jabroniville »

AZAZEL
Created By:
Chuck Austen & Sean Phillips
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #428 (Oct. 2003)
Role: Introduced Daddy
Group Affiliations: The Neyaphem
PL 10 (228)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 10
FIGHTING 15 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+19)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (History) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Hell) 4 (+8)
Perception 5 (+9)
Persuasion 5 (+9)
Sleight of Hand 5 (+9)
Stealth 4 (+14)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll, Equipment 1 (Swords), Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Sword), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Second Chance (Falling), Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics), Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
“Mutant Powers: Teleportation & Night-Living”
"BAMF!" Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 3- 400 lbs., Turnabout) (Extras: Accurate, Extended) (46) -- [50]
  • AE: "Paralyzing Energy" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (30)
  • AE: Morph 2 (Various Forms) (10)
  • AE: "Manipluate Minds" Mind Control 6 (24)
  • AE: "Hit Everyone" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst 5, Selective 5) (10)
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [9]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

"Creature of the Night"
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Equipment:
"Rapiers" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Rapiers +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Hit Everyone +5 Area (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power & Revenge)- Azazel wishes to lead his people against the Cheyarafim and take power on Earth.
Relationship (Mystique)- Though just using her at first to make babies, Azazel found her to be the only woman he ever truly loved.
Responsibility (Permanent Tourist)- Azazel can only remain on Earth for short periods of time.
Vulnerable (Angelic Blood)- Angelic blood can dissolve Azazel and his people.

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 13 (228)

-Many moons ago, Chris Claremont had come up with a pair of concepts as to the mysterious parentage of Nightcrawler, one of the more-popular X-Men: 1) he was the son of Mystique, as we thought... but Mystique was the FATHER, and Destiny was her impregnated lover, and 2) he was the son of Mystique and Nightmare, then a Doctor Strange villain. The first was RIGHT out (this was the '80s, and Jim "There are no gays in the Marvel Universe" Shooter was in charge), and the second was kiboshed by the Doctor Strange editor, who refused to let the powerful Claremont simply TAKE one of his guy's best villains that way. The idea of a DOCTOR STRANGE Editor having the kind of power to say "no" to Marvel's #1 writer is amusing to me, but needless to say, EITHER of these options would have been better than what we got.

-Azazel was introduced as Kurt Wagner's REAL daddy in Chuck Austen's much-maligned run on the main X-Title. And it turns out that Kurt's demonic appearance is because his father is from a race of demonic humanoid mutants called the Neyaphem, who had engaged in an epic war against the angelic, xenophobit Cheyarafim mutants. Because yeah, mutants are now old enough to have separate RACES from way back in ancient history. The "angels" were victorious, banishing the Neyaphem (led by Azazel) to another dimension. Azazel was the only one able to cross the dimensions, and only for a short time- his plan was to impregnate as many women as possible, because his kids held the secrets to breaking him free.

-Enter: Mystique (wait that sounds dirty... though accurate, I guess). Leaving the baby in her capable hands, Azazel abandoned them, leading her to hate him (the two had actually fallen in love beforehand). This would all be revealed during a bit ceremony, where Azazel gathers a bunch of his spawn together in order to bring his Neyaphem army to Earth. He was undone when Archangel's Magical Angel Blood ruined the portal. He later reappears helping out Kade Kilgore's Hellfire Academy, and rules one of Marvel's many Hells. He also becomes a Demon Pirate (Jason Aaron is a silly, silly man and I love him for attempting to draw SOMETHING fun out of that stupid storyline), and becomes a permanent resident of Earth. He hasn't been seen since, but was used in the X-Men: First Class film as a particularly-horrifying kind of Teleporting Assassin, murdering dozens of soldiers by Teleporting them into the sky and then dropping them. And he looked pretty sharp- being a red-skinned demon-man in a nifty suit.

-Azazel is a slightly-modified version of Nightcrawler, gaining more Skills and longevity, as well as better Teleportation.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

From Skavenger, when I last posted Azazel:
Reaching back a few pages, having Nightcrawler's father be an actual demon stripped him of more than just making him "just a guy" even further, it took away one of the most important lessons the character could teach people. Looking -like- a demon but being just a man could teach people not to judge people by their appearances. Someone might look scary, but on the inside they're the same as you, me, or anyone else (if you don't nitpick the whole "X-gene" difference).

Then we learn "oops, no, he actually is a demon, you're free to judge him because 99.9999999% of beings like him are totally evil monsters that everybody knows will do horrible things to your body and soul." What could have been used as a lesson of tolerance for people of different religions or skin colors is now just a "he's the one good one out of all the evil ones, but only because he's a half-breed" story that so many stories have already told.