Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Pyrogen

Post by Jabroniville »

PYROGEN (Claudio Tielli)
Created By:
Stuart Immonen
First Appearance: Supermen of America #1 (March 1999)
Role: Forgotten Superhero, Flame-User, Team Hothead

-Pyrogen has the most "90s name" of the team and is the resident "hothead".
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Eradicator! Silver Banshee! Superboy-Prime!)

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:27 pm I dunno, there’s a definite sea change in the way superhero comics are written, presented, and consumed between comics of the 1930s-40s, the 1950s, the 1960s, the 1970s-80s, 1990s, and 2000-Present.

As with trends in music, fashion, or film it’s never a hard-and-fast date. We weren’t all listening to disco on December 31, 1979 and then instantly all switching exclusively to New Wave on January 1, 1980. But there are definitely market trends that can be objectively measured – sales disco albums dropped off significantly, sales of new wave acts increased. There’s the also subjective, but still documentable, shift in how people wrote about music or talked about music – popular music magazines stopped covering the Beegees and started covering the Bangles, radio stations switched formats, fashion magazines changed the styles they covered, etc.

So while their isn’t any empirical and falsifiable scientific test to objectively say “this is a Silver Age story” nor any calendar date at which one can say “everything before here was Golden Age;” The labels are usually a good enough approximation of the broader trends in any given era.

If we were having a Session Zero for an M&M campaign, with Alice and Bob saying they want a “four-color, Silver Age tone” and Charlie saying he wanted something more “Bronze Age approach” and Deborah saying she didn’t care as long as it wasn’t “too X-Treme Iron Age.” We’d all know more or less what it was that they meant.

Genre is always a broad term, there’s always things the edges of any genre that make it fuzzy if you zoom in.

Batman (Vol. 1) #325 July 1980 compared to Batman (Vol. 1) #92 June 1955. You can’t possibly convince me that these two books are part of the same genre.
Why on Earth would I be trying to convince you? I said that there was a shift in comic book sensibilities happening.
Ken wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:47 pmProbably because the Bronze Age isn't so much of an Age as clumsy designation trying to pretend a gradual decade+ long shift in comic book making sensibilities can be fit into a tidy box.
I acknowledge the shift. What I said is that the shift isn't neat or tidy. There isn't a clean break that says "THIS IS THE END OF THE SILVER AGE".* There were plenty of comics published in the 1970s had the same vibe as an early 1980s comic. There were also plenty of comics published in the 1970s that had a Silver Age vibe.
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:12 pmClark was still engaging in Silver Age shenanigans well into the Seventies…
I don't pretend that Teen Titans #53 (February 1978) is the same genre as New Teen Titans #1 (November 1980). I also wouldn't consdier "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" (1973), "the Hustle" (1975), and "Born to Run" (1975) to be the same genre even if they are all mid-1970s songs.

Despite your assertion, if Charlie said he wanted something with a more "Bronze Age approach", I honestly wouldn't know if he means something more akin to the Relevance Period (after all Green Lantern/Green Arrow is Bronze Age) or something more akin to the soap opera comics akin to the All-New X-Men or the New Teen Titans. Or maybe the tragedies of Aquababy, Iris Allen West, and Commissioner Bruce Wayne.
* - Every super hero comic (save for those featuring the Super Friends) being cancelled before the Comics Code Authority came into being in 1954 gives the Golden Age a clar line. Joe Quesada and Dan Didio being hired by Marvel and DC gives the Radium Age a clear starting point.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: White Lotus

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:00 am Image

WHITE LOTUS (Nona Lin-Baker)
Created By:
Stuart Immonen
Role: Forgotten Superhero

-White Lotus took her name from some Superman characters of years past. She was trained by the Warlords of Okaara (same as Starfire). She had a "malleable Auric force field" (which is used to create solid force around her, enhancing her punches and durability) and is half-Asian, half-black.
So they basically gave her a superpower to let her simulate chi stuff instead of just . . . letting her do chi stuff. Western comics, man.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Brahma was also shown to have some level of high intelligence, having a lab in his home basement, and working on concocting a serum or formula that would stabilize his powers, as they seemed to be ripping him apart and causing him intense pain. He could also hack (sigh) high level Star Labs systems, but then again this came out during a time where "hacking" just meant "good with computers." During a moment where he decided to not take his serum and let his powers go further out of control, he was able to briefly go toe to toe with Kalibak in terms of strength, but the agony distracted him long enough for Kalibak to knock him away.
Jabroniville

Loser

Post by Jabroniville »

LOSER (Theo Storm)
Created By:
Stuart Immonen

-Yes, he's really named "Loser". He had a "Dermal Force Field" that could withstand things up to anti-matter. He's the one whose visuals I remember most, being a guy in a dorky cheap white suit with a "0" over one eye.
Jabroniville

Psilencer

Post by Jabroniville »

I felt you should all see a panel of him dying, too.

PSILENCER (Tim Thomas Townsend)
Created By:
Stuart Immonen
Role: Forgotten Superhero, Telepath

-"Psilencer" is something right out of the X-Men or 1992 Image Comics (lol I wrote that before searching for this guy on ComicVine and it autocompleting to include "Psilence"... an Image Comics character), but here he is- a telepath. He was killed by a gang member in a later issue.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

What's funny is Psilencer appears to actually be wearing body armor. Which is actually a really good decision for a telepath. So of all of them, you'd think betting shot in the back wouldn't be lethal.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Killing 32 green lanterns... When you are so powerful that minion rules are used for green lanterns. :D Did they give an explanation as to why he was so mighty? I've read that it is because he has the pre-retcon power level of Superman but I don't know whether this is official.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Harnos wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 pm Killing 32 green lanterns... When you are so powerful that minion rules are used for green lanterns. :D Did they give an explanation as to why he was so mighty? I've read that it is because he has the pre-retcon power level of Superman but I don't know whether this is official.
Green Lantern Corps members who aren’t from Earth – and there’s like eight not counting Alan Scott and Jade – seem to have their defensive power level slashed in half, at a minimum. Then the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength gets applied, the more of them there are on any given page of the comic, the weaker they are.

Defeating thirty-two unnamed, non-human Green Lanterns who all appeared to fight you at once should be roughly as difficult as fighting a single rookie Earthling, like Baz or Cruz.

Because comics are weird.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Harnos wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 pm Killing 32 green lanterns... When you are so powerful that minion rules are used for green lanterns. :D Did they give an explanation as to why he was so mighty? I've read that it is because he has the pre-retcon power level of Superman but I don't know whether this is official.
Yeah, the explanation is that Superboy Prime is operating at Pre-Crisis levels of power while everyone else isn't. Hence he can do things like move planets and the like when Superman hasn't been able to do that in decades.

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:42 pm
Green Lantern Corps members who aren’t from Earth – and there’s like eight not counting Alan Scott and Jade – seem to have their defensive power level slashed in half, at a minimum. Then the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength gets applied, the more of them there are on any given page of the comic, the weaker they are.

Defeating thirty-two unnamed, non-human Green Lanterns who all appeared to fight you at once should be roughly as difficult as fighting a single rookie Earthling, like Baz or Cruz.

Because comics are weird.
Green Lanterns being used as jobbers always annoyed the heck out of me. These guys are chosen from almost countless sentient beings, in an entire universe there's only a few thousand people worthy of the job. The "average" Green Lantern should be an invasion fleet stomping, giant alien capturing, Armageddon averting badass, and the only reason Hal, Guy, John and Kyle appear so awesome is because they're the ones we're following, when really the four of them should be 'average' Green Lanterns. So seeing them treated like Hydra goons is a bit of a disconnect.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

3600 Sectors, with two Green Lanterns patrolling each, excepting sector 2814, which has six. That’s 7,204 of them to defend the entire universe and/or the entire galaxy (writers seem to flip-flop in their usage of the two terms… I suspect some writers honestly don’t know the difference.)

So, the Green Lantern Corps is already giving a ridiculous amount to territory for every GL to patrol. Then you take the six that are assigned to Sector 2814 and realize they spend 99% of their time on Earth. Most of that time is spent in one corner of just the one continent. Then add in the half-dozen or so Green Lanterns who aren’t assigned to 2814 and spend an awful lot of their time here anyway… Oi vey.

It’d be like having the entire Earth patrolled by two cops, on foot, but they spend all their time in one city. Heck, not even one city, just one street corner of that city.

I really had hoped that back when DC Comics did the whole “Hal tears down the Corps, Kyle rebuilds it” metaplot that they’d have restructured the corps to have either only a half dozen or so Lanterns who are all connected to Earth or just say their are tens of thousands of them, enough so that every Lantern is only responsible for a dozen or so inhabited worlds.

Attaching a hard-and-fast number to their membership whilst simultaneously saying they each protect 1/3600th of the entire galaxy (or universe!) is just nuts.
Jabroniville

Maximum

Post by Jabroniville »

MAXIMUM (Max Williams)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza
First Appearance: Supermen of America #1 (March 2000)

-Maximum was the angry young protector of Suicide Slum, who fought gangs there. Without technology provided by Lex Luthor, he was a quadriplegic- otherwise, he had Ultra-Boy-like powers of one super-power at a time- Strength, Speed, Reflexes or Super-Senses. He was temporarily empowered by "The Unimaginable", a space-entity, but willingly gave up the powers.
Jabroniville

Imperiex

Post by Jabroniville »

IMPERIEX
Created By:
Jeph Loeb & Ed McGuinness
First Appearance: Superman #153 (Feb. 2000)
Role: Galactus Rip-Off
PL 20 (556)
STRENGTH
23 STAMINA 22 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 20 AWARENESS 8 PRESENCE 8

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+12)
Deception 2 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 12 (+32)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 10 (+30)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 10 (+30)
Intimidation 14 (+22)
Investigation 4 (+14)
Perception 8 (+18)
Persuasion 4 (+12)
Technology 12 (+32)
Vehicles 10 (+10)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Daze (Intimidation), Eidetic Memory, Equipment 40 (Super Spaceship, World-Devouring Gear), Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 3 (Cosmic Blast), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 12, Skill Mastery (Technology), Startle, Ultimate Science Skill, Ultimate Technology Skill, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Cosmic Being"
Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep) [12]
"Immune to the Ravages of Space" Immunity 2 (Proximity to Stars & Suns) [2]
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) [28]
Movement 3 (Space Travel 1) [6]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 31) [33]

"Cosmic Mind"
Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Space) [2]
Quickness 12 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [6]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]
"Cosmic Sight" Senses 11 (Extended Vision 8- 1 billion miles, Microvision, Analytical Vision) [11]

"Huge Size" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]

"Wields The Power CosmicI mean totally not a Galactus rip-off"
"Cosmic Wave" Damage 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 10, Variable 2) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Cone +4) (108) -- [130]
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Stream" Damage 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 10, Variable 2) (Extras: Area- 250ft. Line +4) (108)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Burst" Damage 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 10, Variable 2) (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (108)
  • Dynamic AE: Cosmic Blast 26 (Feats: Dynamic, Accurate, Affects Insubstantial, Penetrating 14, Extended Range 7- x12,800 ft., Split, Variable Descriptor 2) (79)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 2 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others 18, Ranged 18) (39)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 20 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle, Precise) (Extras: Perception Range) (63)
  • Dynamic AE: Remote Sensing 24 (Visual, Hearing) (64,000 miles) (Feats: Dynamic, Dimensional, Subtle) (75)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind-Reading 18 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle) (Extras: Sensory Link) (56)
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Mental) 5 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle, Dimensional) (Extras: Area, Selective) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Concealment 10 (All Senses) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged) (41)
  • AE: Movement 5 (Dimensional Travel 3, Space Travel +0, Time Travel 2) (Extras: Portal +2) (20)
  • AE: Teleport 20 (Feats: Increased Mass 10- 25 tons) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (90)
  • AE: "Sense Energy" Senses 22 (Detect Energy- Ranged 17- 1,600 trillion miles, Acute & Analytical, Tracking) (22)
  • AE: "Sense Life" Senses 22 (Detect Life- Ranged 17- 1,600 trillion miles, Tracking) (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+23 Damage, DC 38)
Cosmic Blast +14 (+26 Ranged Damage, DC 41)
Cosmic Waves +19 Area (+19 Damage, DC 34)
Mind-Reading -- (+18 Mind-Reading, DC 28)
Portals +16 (+16 Movement Attack, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +24 (+26 Force Field, +16 Impervious), Fortitude +22, Will +16

Complications:
Motivation (Restarting the Universe)- Imperiex sees "imperfections" in the universe and seeks to destroy it, restarting it via a new "Big Bang".

Total: Abilities: 146 / Skills: 90--45 / Advantages: 71 / Powers: 265 / Defenses: 29 (556)

Our Worlds At War- The First Controversial 2000s Event Story:
-Our Worlds At War was one of the most controversial "Event Stories" when it was released- this was when I was pretty new to internet fandom, and also new to a lot of my online friends at the time (some of the guys from this era I still talk to). A story based around Superman and his allies encountering a "Cosmic Threat" so vast it required teaming up with arch-enemies like Lex Luthor, Brainiac and DARKSEID, OWAW was very... Superman-themed. Jeph Loeb was new to the books at that point, and his relentless fanboyism for the character started getting noticed around here. This was also when I got familiar with the "Supes Backlash", as online he was either adored by fans (usually ones who loved power) or hated as a spotlight-stealer who kept other, valued heroes from getting any attention (this was when Martian Manhunter was a critically-acclaimed book read by 17 people).

-The fact that the villain, Imperiex, was an open rip-off of Galactus didn't help. I mean he's literally called "The Devourer of Galaxies" and has drones acting as his "Heralds". Like Loeb just transplanted the exact same character into the DC universe. So Imperiex is "The Embodiment of Entropy", and is a form of pure energy inside a colossal, humanoid set of armor (aka a Celestial, also from Marvel). Since the dawn of time, he has repeatedly destroyed the universe to create a new one from the ashes of the old (ya know, like how Galactus formed from the death of the last universe), sensing "imperfections", even now. The villain Mongul appears on Earth stating that Imperiex has destroyed Warworld, and convinces Superman to team up with him- they manage to defeat it... but it turns out the creature was nothing but a PROBE in his shape! Imperiex Prime is still heading for Earth (from where he needs to create a new Big Bang, as this is the "center of the universe"), when Superman & Mongul realize it took all their ability just to stop his probe.

Characters Die; Only Superman Matters:
-So during OWAW, various "Imperiex Probes" would touch down on Earth and showcase ridiculous power levels- numerous heroes died. Most notably, Queen Hippolyta was burned to death during a fight against a Probe alongside Superman & Wonder Woman, horrifying her daughter in a pretty gory scene (the shot of Hippolyta murmuring wide-eyed with her mouth burned shut stuck with me). Other deaths include Aquaman, Guy Gardner, and General Sam Lane. The planets Kalanor (Despero's world), Karna and Daxam are destroyed, as well as Maxima's world Almerac- Maxima arrives to help Earth's heroes as well (but quickly dies herself), and even Darkseid's Apokolips is recruited to the cause. Darkseid acts as the commander of the coalition as Apokolips appears in Earth's sky. US President Lex Luthor unleashes Doomsday himself against Imperiex, and he & Superman fight alongside each other, destroying many Probes until Imperiex himself kills Doomsday.

-General Rock (the promoted Sgt. Rock) and others sacrifice themselves to crack Imperiex's armor, but when they spring their trap (Darkseid will use Boom Tubes to transfer his energies back to the galaxies he destroyed, preventing a new Big Bang), Brainiac betrays everyone, stealing the energies for hmself and his new "Warworld". Superman literally dips himself into the sun (creating the "Sundipped Superman" BattleBoard meme) to get a power-boost and the coalition makes a new plan- Steel wears an "Entropy Aegis" armor from Apokoliptian technology and has magical energies fired through the suit and some of Luthor's gear to make a "Temporal Boom Tube"- Sundipped Superman then pushes the planet of Warworld itself through it, sending both Imperiex and Brainiac's consciousnesses to the Big Bang, where they are destroyed. Imperiex's last moments are spent thinking of the irony that the "imperfection" he detected in the universe was actually himself. Eight million people die on Earth.

-The issue, of course, is that Superman was the ONLY SUPERHERO who really mattered during most of this. The Justice League mostly got their asses kicked- one particular parody comic showed how Kyle Rayner, as Green Lantern, had nearly every power imaginable at his fingertips but his only idea to fight a Probe was to fire tiny lasers at it. So the entire event became "Superman is the Only Hero Who Matters" with everyone else completely diminished. Hell, even IMPERIEX is diminished, as he himself is handily stopped by the various "Coalition" members... only for a Superman villain to defeat him by proxy and take the credit, then become the new Big Bad who has to be stopped... by a powered-up Superman. The "Power Feats" were relentless, too, to the point where it read like Loeb was watching Dragon Ball Z and having Superman do equivalent feats (one fight against an Imperiex Probe featured him rapidly using Freeze Breath, Heat Vision and punches to weaken a Probe's armor, effectively Multiattacking it to death in a flurry). Tons of super-people die, but all of them are later revived, making their "big deaths" to suit Loeb's big event pointless. Loeb himself appeared hurt by the backlash, whining that "I just wanted to write a really cool Superman story", and one of the online friends I knew was also heartbroken, as he was a huge Superman fan and a MASSIVE power-geek, and didn't like that opinions on the story were so harsh.

The Might of Imperiex:
-For power, Imperiex takes my Galactus build and scales it down to PL 20, shaving off about 70 points. No Variable Power, fewer Advantages, etc. He's more or less the same being but more easy to defeat, as there's no way Galactus would falter and die against such a roster of heroes (save that one FF story where he was at his lowest ebb of power).

When your writer actually watches "Dragon Ball Z" and goes "My guy needs to be able to do that, too".

IMPERIEX PROBES
Created By:
Jeph Loeb & Ed McGuinness
First Appearance: Superman #153 (Feb. 2000)
Role: Heralds of Galac-I mean Imperiex
PL 13 (273)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA 18 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+12)
Perception 5 (+8)
Technology 9 (+12)

Advantages:
Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork, Withstand Damage

Powers:
Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep) [12]
"Armored Monster" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 17) [19]
Flight 18 (500,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) [37]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]
Senses 7 (Extended Vision & Hearing 2, Analytical & Low-Light Vision) [7]

Cosmic Blast 20 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (42) -- [43]
  • AE: "Cosmic Beam" Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (39)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Cosmic Blast +6 (+20 Ranged Damage, DC 35)
Cosmic Beam +13 Area (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +20 (+9 Impervious), Fortitude +18, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (The Will of Imperiex)

Total: Abilities: 118 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 122 / Defenses: 9 (273)

-Initially thought to be Imperiex himself, it turns out the creature Superman & Mongul fought their asses off to kill was merely his Herald- an "Imperiex Probe". The fact that just ONE of these things fought those two to a standstill was our first "Holy shit" moment. Naturally the Probes appear to be curb-stomping uber-gods at first, one killing Queen Hippolyta in the process of being destroyed itself, and most Earth superheroes appear unable to stop them AT ALL. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut by the end of the story Superman & Doomsday are carving through tons of them. So I made them PL 13, with "New Villain Stink" able to take on just about anyone but something that Superman (a PL 15, but even higher under Loeb) can beat himself.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Silver Banshee! Superboy-Prime! Imperiex!)

Post by Batgirl III »

What I disliked most about OWAW wasn’t that it was Superman focused, but that (1) it made damn near every other monthly title in the line spend at least two or three issues on “tie ins” even if they were only tangentially related to the story. I could have forgiven that except (2) it was incredibly boring.

So, so, so boring. Crisis on Infinite Earths had mystery, exploration, investigation, and then a slew of big fights; The Great Darkness Saga had intense drama and a slew of big fights; The Death of Superman had one big fight and a ton of pathos… OWAW had lots of fights, but the pacing of the terrible, the art was worse, and that was it. Fight, fight, fight, death of a D-Lister, fight.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:35 pm Loving that idea: Kirby’s Fourth World mythos was built on the premise that the New Gods had replaced the Old Gods, in a grand cosmic cycle that was predestined to repeat itself time and again. So… What if “King Kosmos” was one of those Old Gods? IIRC, we’ve never really had any canonical stories about the Old Gods.
I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall a strong implication if not outright statement that the Old Gods were the Asgardians. Might've been a dig at Marvel.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site