Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Abyss (Styger)

Post by Jabroniville »

ABYSS I (Nils Styger)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell, Mark Waid, Roger Cruz & Steve Epting
First Appearance: Cable #40 (Feb. 1997)
Role: Background Villain
Group Affiliations: X-Cell, X-Corps
PL 8 (114)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Expertise (Bodyguard) 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ritualist

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Highly-Tensile Strands"
"Coils & Coldness" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Brimstone Dimension) (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Attack 5, Area- 30ft. Shapeable 5) Linked to Snare 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) [49]
Mind-Reading 6 (Flaws: Limited to Ensnared Victims, Limited to Emotions) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Coils & Coldness +5-8 Area (+5 Movement Attack, +8 Affliction & +6 Weaken, DC 15, 18 & 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The Son of Azazel)- Abyss's father is a demon.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 14 (114)

-The first Abyss debuted as plain old Nils Styger, a mutant from the Age of Apocalypse world- he debuted properly in a Cable issue. He was a protector for a researching into the Legacy Virus, while dying of the same disease himself- he was finally saved when Colossus sacrificed his life to prevent its spread. He later appeared fighting Fever Pitch of Gene Nation, and MUCH later appeared as one of many children of the demon Azazel, which in fact reveals that he is the half-brother of one Kurt "Nightcrawler" Wagner. He helped the X-Men defeat his father, but was de-powered on M-Day- he was RE-powered by Quicksilver's use of the Terrigen Mists, and disappeared into the Brimstone Dimension, and has never been seen again.

-Abyss's various "looks" are numerous enough that even Wikipedia acknowledges that he basically looks different under every single artist, and that nobody ever seems to acknowledge this- sometimes he is 2-Dimension, sometimes he is ebon-black with a green face, and once he looked similar to Nightcrawler.

-Abyss has Cloak-like powers, but is also able to drain their life forces. He's a bit limited on Skills (he's basically been a bodyguard and a random fighter), but has a nifty Linked set of powers- Movement, Snare & Weaken.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Amanda Sefton

Post by Jabroniville »

AMANDA SEFTON (Jimaine Szardos, aka Daytripper, Magik II)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #98 (April 1976)
Role: Super-Girlfriend
Group Affiliations: The Muir-Island X-Men, Excalibur
PL 9 (147)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Flight Attendant) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+9)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist, Trance

Powers:
"Magical Training"
Senses 5 (Detect Magic- Acute, Analytical & Ranged) [5]

Teleport 11 (Feats: Increased Mass 6, Change Direction & Velocity, Dynamic) (Extras: Accurate, Extended, Portal +2) (Flaws: Standard Action) (64) -- [80]
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion 9 (Visual & Audio) (28)
  • Dynamic AE: "Shapechange" Morph 4 (Any Form) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Eldritch Bolts" Blast 9 (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Hypnotism" Affliction 9 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Vision-Dependent) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 6 (Feats: Increased Mass 4) (Extras: Affects Others) (16)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 6 (Extras: Perception Range) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: Immunity 10 (Life Support) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Sustained +0) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel) (Feats: Increased Mass 6) (Extras: Portal +2) (19)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Eldritch Bolt +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Eldritch Wave +9 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Hypnotism -- (+9 Perception Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+9 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Kurt Wagner, aka Nightcrawler)- Amanda & Kurt are on-again/off-again lovers, though generally she doesn't get used nearly enough to matter, and so rarely shows up in Kurt's life.
Relationship (Margali Svardos, Mother)- Amanda's mother is an witch of questionable morality, and has often fought her daughter.
Power Loss (Magic)- Amanda's powers are random even by the standards of Comic Book Sorcery- there is also an element that being inside a city will cause her powers to work differently.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 85 / Defenses: 10 (147)

-Amanda Sefton is one of those characters I never really "got". She appeared in Claremont's X-Men as basically a generic Girlfriend Character, one of those blank-slate characters that just kind of hang around the heroes and don't do anything other than date them in background scenes. But of course since it's a Claremont book she had to have a huge backstory full of witchcraft, an evil mother, and assorted other magic (Claremont's wife was a practicing Wiccan or whatever it was back in those days, and so you can see a lot of occult stuff in his X-Men run that follows actual "magic" practices). If there's one thing Claremont HATES, it's characters without ultra-dynamic pasts. Nobody is EVER normal.

-Amanda dated Nightcrawler for while, but eventually revealed herself to have been his stepsister, which is some Woody Allen-type shit, right there. She helped Kurt defend himself against her mother Margali Svardos (she blamed Kurt for the death of her birth son), but the two broke up shortly thereafter. Much later, she joined the cast of Excalibur, calling herself Daytripper and helping them find Captain Britain (thus leading directly to Rachel Summers being trapped in the future, becoming A'skani and helping raise her half-brother into becoming Cable). After some more scuffles with her mother (even saving her from D'Spayre once), she left Excalibur without a word one day, hurting Kurt deeply.

-However, this was due to a possession by Margali, who used her daughter to help her in defeating Belasco in Limbo- this led to the all-new 2000/01 Magik series by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, a weird attempt to recapture the popularity of Illyana Rasputin, using a character who was never popular. The Limited Series failed to take off, leading to Amanda falling into disuse again- really, this just came off like a tease- fans had been begging for the return of Magik for YEARS. But giving them a fifth-tier X-Men side character?

-Belasco eventually returned and cast Amanda out of Limbo- only the TRUE return of Magik allowed the heroes to save the day, as Illyana came back, won back control of Limbo, and regained her Soulsword. She later reappeared during Nightcrawler's solo book, doing a Will-They/Won't-They thing and helping him out. So basically, Amanda Sefton, a character who has existed for almost forty years by this point, has basically been "The Hero's Sorta-Girlfriend" for all that time, was never interesting, and had a failed push as a replacement for a beloved character. Maybe once upon a time Claremont had an interest in her, but that seems to have faded away years ago. She's just kind of a nothing character that never really mattered.

-Sefton is mostly a minor-league Sorceress, only having PL 9-quality spells and not as much variability as the elites like Dr. Strange, Baron Mordo or Brother Voodoo. Her powers also vary widely between appearances (and not just when she was the Mistress of Limbo, packing Illyana's old powers like Stepping Discs & the Soulsword), so she could be just about anything in any given story.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nightcrawler! Azazel! Phoenix! Marvel UK!)

Post by Spectrum »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:46 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 pm so 2099 fans, help me out. Who are the notable names? Any interesting villains? Anyone wanna try compiling another version of The List, but for the future?
I'd say your best bet is actually the wikipedia 2099 page, it lists the majority of the original 2099 title characters but thankfully ignores all the 'alternate 2099' versions.

As for Marvel UK a couple of characters not on your list you might like are Captain Kerosene (Purely because he apparently 'subbed' for Toro on the Invaders) Captain Midlands, G-Force. Immortalis and Tigon Liger.
Oh and Motormouth named her kids Victoria and Albert after local pubs :)
Can't remember the babydaddy's name but remembers where they met?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Margali of the Winding Way

Post by Jabroniville »

MARGALI SZARDOS (aka The Red Queen, Margali of the Winding Way & Fata Morgana)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Romita, Jr.
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men Annual #4 (Jan. 1980)
Role: Evil Magic Bitch
Group Affiliations: The Hellfire Club, The Shadow Hunters
PL 10-11 (141)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Magical Attacks), Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Magical Senses" Senses 5 (Detect Magic- Acute, Analytical & Ranged) [5]
"Whatever Powers The Writer Tought Of- I Dunno, F*** Off" Variable 7 [49]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Magic Stuff +10 (+8-12 Ranged Damage, DC 23-27)
Other Magic Stuff +8 (Probably Afflictions and Junk)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (Probably Has a Force Field or Something Dumb), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss (Magic)- Casting magical spells requires some freedom of movement, and sometimes even speech. Binding a Wizard's hands, body or mouth may impede certain spells. Or not.
Power Loss (Magic)- Margali is powered by The Winding Way, which causes her powers to ebb and flow like... well, like every other character in comics (especially the Magically-Powered ones). Except in this case, there's a canon reason.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 13 (141)

-Margali Szardos is Nightcrawler's adopted mother, and the birth mother of Amanda Sefton, his girlfriend. An enigmatic (re: complex, always-Retconned backstory). A sorceress of some power, she manipulated her children often, but was rescued by them when the demon D'Spayre captured her. She joined the London branch of the Hellfire Club as their Red Queen in order to allow a demon to let them take over the city. Excalibur and Amanda stopped her. However, when she was kidnapped by Belasco, Nightcrawler & Amanda had to rescue her AGAIN, at which point Amanda became the new Magik (in a move nobody cared about, because nobody, ever, has ever cared about Amanda Sefton). Margali reappeared in modern times, helping her kids fight off some other demons, but mysteriously-vanished again.

-Margali is apparently highly-powerful, but is constantly being captured by more-powerful entities. At one point she impressed Doctor Strange himself with her powers (which have consisted of a Flame Sword, Magical Blasts and Elongated Nails in the past). But yeah- standard Evil Magic Person, up to PL 11.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nightcrawler! Phoenix! Death's Head! Amanda Sefton!)

Post by Ares »

I remember thinking that whole bit about Nightcrawler's adopted mom being a near-Dr. Strange level sorcerer was just so out of left field. Like, it wasn't enough that he was a mutant that looked like a demon. He also had to be the son some long lost demonic mutant tribe and Mystique, have his adopted mom be a sorceress, his most frequent love interest be his adopted sister who was also a sorceress, he killed his evil-possessed adopted brother, and is also siblings with Rogue (via adoption) and Graydon Creed.

It's like . . . Claremont would have been the guy in an RPG where every one of his characters had the most convoluted 20 page backstory ever, and there was no such thing as a minor NPC when he was running a game. The stableboy who took care of their horses at the inn one night would turn out to be the long lost son of a trans-dimensional wizard whose other children included the daughter of the shopkeeper from the last town and the young witch on the edge of town, and together all three of them must find the lost gem of Somethingorother to appease their mom, a queen from the 9th level of hell.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Digitek

Post by Jabroniville »

DIGITEK (Jonathan Bryant)
Created by:
John Tomlinson, Andy Lanning & Dermot Power
First Appearance: Digitek #1 (December 1992)
Role: Totally '90s Creation, Cyber-Hacker
Group Affiliation: MyS-TECH
PL 8 (148)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Computers) 10 (+14)
Technology 8 (+12)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Self-Generating Armor"
Regeneration 4 [4]
Immunity 3 (Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation 2) [4]
Protection 3 [3]
"Any Kind of Weapon" Variable 6 (42) -- [44]
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Flaws: Medium- Phone Lines) (10)
  • AE: "Holograms" Illusion (Visuals) 5 (10)
"Psi-Link" Communication (Computers) 2 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Blasters +9 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Mys-Tech)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 9 (148)

-Digitek was yet another Marvel UK character created in a Limited Series, who failed to take off and then disappeared. He was a Mys-TECH employee who touched an alien thing and gained powers. He fought some guys called the Bacillicons and teamed up with Deathlok, and that's about it. He waited about sixteen years to reappear, but only had cameos in a couple books, including helping a breakout during Civil War.

-Digitek can take just about any technical form, including becoming half-motorcycle, or just gaining weapon arms.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Phoenix! Death's Head! Amanda Sefton! Digitek!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Random observations regarding my dead computer (warning- this got out of hand and I made it an essay. I think I was having "keyboard withdrawal", since everyone knows how rare it is for me to just go on and on about stuff):
Okay, so I felt like rambling about my computer, and how it kinda messed up my normal posting habits.

So on Thursday, pretty much a month ago at this point, I decided to link my BlackBerry tablet, given to me by my brother, the worst gift-giver in the world ("hey, here's the old tablet I'm not using anymore"), to my six-year old computer. Which is apparently a mistake. My comp froze up on the Restart, couldn't boot up for a bit, and only righted itself after about a half an hour of stress for me.

Once it snapped back to reality, I grabbed my Rangers Builds and my Marvel- "A" builds and e-mailed them to myself in entirety, just in case this happened again. Unfortunately, I'd neglected to do the same for a handful of other "A" builds- Amanda Sefton & Apocalypse were both part of the same set, but I'd split them off into separate documents, since I was re-posting Excalibur alongside Amanda, and Apocalypse's minions alongside their master. So having forgotten about those, I was left with a problem when...

The next Saturday, my HP computer did one of those "looking for updates/restart" things, doing so automatically while I was pooping or something. So when I okayed the restart, it instead froze. And was REALLY buggered this time. Like, it wouldn't even boot up- it just froze on the main screen. So I was hooped. Thankfully I have a smartphone and work far enough ahead that my builds were still useable, but HOLY CRAP I was stressed out. The next day, a friend (everyone should have one friend who's a computer expert) looked at it, and corroborated its hooped-ness. Six hours of work later (spread across two days), he couldn't manage to do anything but transfer some stuff to an external HD of his.

The following Wednesday, I brought it into a local small business (with pretty good reviews; the only negatives were from crackpots), who promised to give a two-day assessment. Unfortunately, when I called in that Friday, they said they weren't done yet, but would call me. And then never did. As they don't work weekends (small business, remember?), I had to come in on MONDAY to get an answer, and they were like "oh, I guess we forgot to call you". This kind of just went ON, as I made plans to get a new computer, but they kept putting off things. FINALLY, the next Monday, I went in and happened to talk to the manager, who admitted that a flu bug was wiping out his three employees and putting everyone behind, and convinced me he could get all my stuff off the comp, though the information was all corrupted.

I was told "Thursday at the latest" for completion, AND he made good by comping me the "Data Recovery" fee, saving me eighty bucks. Except a part came late. And then the computer "resisted my every attempt to get anything", making it take EVEN LONGER to get stuff. "Monday at the latest" soon became me showing up on Wednesday and the guy being "I know I keep telling you it'll be soon, but I've been having every complication!" Finally, yesterday (Thursday), I got my new computer, and everything managed to come through uncorrupted and what-not. The guy actually pulled through, despite numerous problems, and me thinking I was possibly getting jerked around more than once. Apparently I have my mother's anxiety issues at times, which I've discovered through this ordeal- not knowing whether or not my files would be okay, realizing what I'd forgotten to back up (mostly typing stuff that only existed for my benefit, but I'd probably never be able to replicate), and wondering if I'd made the right choice in going to a "small business" instead of one of the mighty Big Box Stores (apparently the Canadian "Memory Express" chain is quite good). But in the end, everything seems to have worked out, and my files seem to all be here.

So how it's relevant to my thread:
Well, obviously not having a computer for three weeks kind of messed with my builds. Now, naturally I usually work a bit "ahead", something that's much easier given that this is the third incarnation of my 3e thread, which means that many builds were already in existence. The research was all-new, and sometimes I had to adjust things, but it saves time to not have to go through each Skill & Advantage (though I'll do so for big name characters). So having twelve full days of "A" builds ready to go was a godsend- I definitely don't have THAT big of a window to go.

However, I was stalled on Apocalypse & Amanda Sefton, as they hadn't been transferred to my e-mail yet. I'd also had the "Genosha" set ready to go, but the Press Gang didn't require a lot of additional thought, so I went ahead with those. Unfortunately, it turns out my "Genosha Rant" was WAY longer in the original file, which is why I went back and edited it.

My "Virtua Fighter" set was originally meant to be two days long as "filler", and was mostly done- I had to build the last five or so characters via my phone's Word program, which believe me, is insanely difficult. The copying & Pasting is MUCH less efficient, requires precise control, and is prone to the issues of a phone's keyboard (ie. everything takes all goddamn day, as I can type about three times faster than my phone can keep up, which produces many mistakes). And so I extended the "VF" set to three days, even though it was mostly the same build with minor modifications (which take longer than you'd think, anyways). For the "A" guys, Armless Tiger Man & Ajax were both build on my phone as well.

I also had many builds done for Marvel's Golden Age, which I'd gathered after working on a bunch of characters from The Twelve- I'd actually done eleven of the twelve, which made them being trapped on my computer for three weeks QUITE annoying. The time allowed me to find the second TPB in a used bookstore (where I had a ton of store credit after my last book-dump), so I had it fresh in my mind instead of when I'd simply read it at another bookstore. So I can at least modify my established builds accordingly.

"Excalibur" involved only re-posting, but the research was all-new, and of course took forever, having involved me pasting Wikipedia bios into my phone. That and the "Marvel UK" set have both been phone-built. My "window" of posting went from 12-15 days to about six or seven by the end, as I could only put about 2-3 builds per day, instead of four or so- even WITH re-posting, doing so on my phone not only took longer, but kind of wiped me out (small screens, plus crappy typing).

I was also stalled on archiving stuff. I usually copy links over as soon as I'm done- naturally, my Archive file was on my computer. And as some of the original planning files were gone, I realized I'd forgotten I was gonna build certain characters (the Braddock Academy kids).

So in the end:
I'm a bit behind my initial plan, but not as bad as you'd think considering I haven't had real desktop/keyboard access for more than three weeks. I shuffled some stuff around, and modified a few plans (no way I was doing Sailor Moon Builds on such relatively-short notice, for example- those will have to wait a bit). It'll take me some time to archive all of what I've posted lately, but I can manage. And some of my builds will be a little better than if I'd have waited (my "Twelve" set).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Armadillo! The Aquarian! Axum! Arcade!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:38 pm Actually, the Torch did burn off the hair of the Hag in that story I mentioned, so, apparently Miss Murdock learned from her predacessor.

I wonder if Daredevil realises his aunt was a villainess...
Just noticed this comment. The funny thing about Asbestos Lady being named "Victoria Murdock" is that those kind of connections were a thing DC used to make a point of. I believe they made Roy Harper a relative of the Golden Age Guardian thanks to a shared last name.
Jabroniville

Mys-TECH

Post by Jabroniville »

MYS-TECH
Created by:
John Freeman, Nick Vince, Gary Erskine & John Beeston
First Appearance: Warheads #1 (June 1992)
Role: Evil Magi-Tech Group, Secret Conspirators
Leaders:
Algernon Crowe
Bronwen Gryffn
Ranulph Haldane
Eadmund Porlock
Brendan Rathcoole
Gudrun Tyburn
Ormond Wychwood

-If you were one of those subjected to the works of Marvel's UK branch in the early 1990s (imagine if somebody looked at Image Comics's output, and went "hey, do you think you could crank up the "Nineties" aspects a bit more?), then you were going to see some mentions of Mys-Tech somewhere along the line. Their backstory was that they were a group of seven wizards who made a deal with Mephisto in the late 900s AD for power and immortality- Mephisto let them become ageless, but they had to give him a steady stream of souls. In the end, they became a powerful multinational corporation, with a secret HQ in the Canary Wharf section of London. They had a "Voodoo Doll" version of the ENTIRE PLANET (called "Un-Earth"), and created the assassin known as Killpower, and had their fingers in most Marvel UK series, such as Death's Head II, Hell's Angel (later Dark Angel) and Motormouth & Killpower.

-Their story culminated in Mys-Tech Wars, an event that saw a lot of established Marvel superheroes killed (I read the first issue as a kid, and was shocked to see SPIDER-MAN get his heart torn out, and get devoured by demons!), but the day was saved (thanks to Dark Angel using six assembled heroes to act as "Stand-Ins" for the original seven Mys-Tech members, and heal the rift in reality to Un-Earth), and the event erased from time. Later, they attempted to destroy all super-heroes, but are beaten by Death's Head. Things end when Mephisto frees up all of his magic & energies from helping them, thus getting out of his contract. Researching this group is a bit difficult, as the horrible Marvel UK creative teams had somehow managed to create a convoluted story in only two-to-three years' time, and even the Unofficial Handbook guys are a bit stunned by all of the mess.

-I honestly have no idea how powerful any of these guys are supposed to be- given the name, it's quite clear they're masters of technology AND magic- Techno-Wizards of vague power. Most of their stuff doesn't seem to happen via fighting, but by manipulations, magic spells, and business.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 am
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:38 pm Actually, the Torch did burn off the hair of the Hag in that story I mentioned, so, apparently Miss Murdock learned from her predacessor.

I wonder if Daredevil realises his aunt was a villainess...
Just noticed this comment. The funny thing about Asbestos Lady being named "Victoria Murdock" is that those kind of connections were a thing DC used to make a point of.
Between '65 and '86 there was a DC staffer named Edward Nelson Bridwell (usually credited as E. Nelson Bridwell) who was also a DC trivia buff, and used that knowledge. He was called DC's self-appointed continuity cop. Because he knew DC's continuity, he'd write the stpries that would explain things away. And he was the big pusher of the "they have the same surname, they must be related" idea. I refer to that rule as the "Bridwell Theory of Relative-ity".
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 am I believe they made Roy Harper a relative of the Golden Age Guardian thanks to a shared last name.
Yep. It also retroactively explained why there was a copy of Guardian's uniform and shield in Titans Lair for Mal Duncan to take and use at the beginning of the mid-late 1970s run. Jim Harper had died and his nephew Roy had been sent his personal effects. Presumably, the Jim Harper clone was using new gear.

My own fondness for that rule is why Prof Weird's Mozou character ended up related to Speedstess/Fast Track in the Gulf game.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Re: Mys-TECH

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:24 am Image

MYS-TECH
Created by:
John Freeman, Nick Vince, Gary Erskine & John Beeston
First Appearance: Warheads #1 (June 1992)
Role: Evil Magi-Tech Group, Secret Conspirators
Leaders:
Algernon Crowe
Bronwen Gryffn
Ranulph Haldane
Eadmund Porlock
Brendan Rathcoole
Gudrun Tyburn
Ormond Wychwood

-If you were one of those subjected to the works of Marvel's UK branch in the early 1990s (imagine if somebody looked at Image Comics's output, and went "hey, do you think you could crank up the "Nineties" aspects a bit more?), then you were going to see some mentions of Mys-Tech somewhere along the line. Their backstory was that they were a group of seven wizards who made a deal with Mephisto in the late 900s AD for power and immortality- Mephisto let them become ageless, but they had to give him a steady stream of souls. In the end, they became a powerful multinational corporation, with a secret HQ in the Canary Wharf section of London. They had a "Voodoo Doll" version of the ENTIRE PLANET (called "Un-Earth"), and created the assassin known as Killpower, and had their fingers in most Marvel UK series, such as Death's Head II, Hell's Angel (later Dark Angel) and Motormouth & Killpower.

-Their story culminated in Mys-Tech Wars, an event that saw a lot of established Marvel superheroes killed (I read the first issue as a kid, and was shocked to see SPIDER-MAN get his heart torn out, and get devoured by demons!), but the day was saved (thanks to Dark Angel using six assembled heroes to act as "Stand-Ins" for the original seven Mys-Tech members, and heal the rift in reality to Un-Earth), and the event erased from time. Later, they attempted to destroy all super-heroes, but are beaten by Death's Head. Things end when Mephisto frees up all of his magic & energies from helping them, thus getting out of his contract. Researching this group is a bit difficult, as the horrible Marvel UK creative teams had somehow managed to create a convoluted story in only two-to-three years' time, and even the Unofficial Handbook guys are a bit stunned by all of the mess.

-I honestly have no idea how powerful any of these guys are supposed to be- given the name, it's quite clear they're masters of technology AND magic- Techno-Wizards of vague power. Most of their stuff doesn't seem to happen via FIGHTING, but by manipulations, magic spells, and business.

about the only thing I'll admit to liking about the whole Mys-Tech thing was the fact that Mephisto was largely responsible for alot of it.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Killpower

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:49 pm Image

KILLPOWER (Julius Mullarkey)
Created by:
[/b] Gary Frank & Graham Mark
First Appearance: Motormouth #1 (June 1992)
Role: Big Dumb Powerhouse
Country of Origin: England
Group Affiliations: None
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Between the hair, the "does not cover anything" mask, the name, the physique and the huge gun, this is the most Liefeld character I've ever seen not created by Rob Liefeld. The only reasons I know it isn't is the shoulder pads are too small, there aren't enough pouches, and I can see his feet.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:59 am My own fondness for that rule is why Prof Weird's Mozou character ended up related to Speedstess/Fast Track in the Gulf game.
I was wondering where that came from...
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Wild Thing

Post by Jabroniville »

What the bloody HELL is this supposed to be? This woman is only 5 1/2 heads high!

WILD THING I (Nikki Doyle)
Created by:
Simon Jowett & Duke Mighten
First Appearance: Wild Thing #1 (April 1993)
Role: Totally '90s Creation, Cyber-Hacker
Group Affiliation: The New York Police Department, The Midnight Sons
PL 9 (159)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Expertise (Computers) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Technopathy"
Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Virtual Reality Worlds) (Flaws: Requires Computer Access) [1]
Communication (Interwebz) 3 [12]
"Alter Programs" Transform (Anything to Anything) 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Within Cyberspace) [40]
"Alter Archetype" Variable 6 (Flaws: Limited to Within Cyberspace) [36]
"Wrist-Blasters" (Flaws: Removable, Limited to Within Cyberspace) [11]
Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Wrist-Blasters +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Quirks (Virtual Reality)- Nikki Doyle's adventures take place within Cyberspace, and so her Dimensional Movement is technically not literal. However, her physical body will retain damage it suffers in cyberspace, so she must still be careful.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 89 / Defenses: 10 (159)

-Nikki Doyle was apparently the granddaughter of Wolverine from an Alternate Earth (yes, this does in fact make TWO characters named "Wild Thing" coming from future timelines that were related to Wolverine), taking up a weird part of the "Marvel U.K." line. Like most of those characters, she was ridiculously short-lived. Her series apparently had a lot of Virtual Reality stuff in it, though very little information out there exists. The art I see of her is beyond horrible, too- I don't know what kind of crap it was supposed to be, but they needed a better artist.

-Actually, it's rather funny to look at some of her stuff, because she's hitting the Cyberpunk thing WAY too late (1993 was a bit after the fad, if I recall), and basically has the same powers as Neo WAY before The Matrix came out and would make that trendy. Just some crap timing, really.

-Her power is a rather complex one in theory, but I think being able to hack into Cyberspace and change junk there is basically Transform & Variable Limited to Within Cyberspace, making her horrifyingly versatile, but limited to one aspect of fighting. She's a PL 8 Blaster most of the time, but can shift to PL 9 easily within Cyberspace.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MissRo

Re: Jab's Builds! (Phoenix! Death's Head! Amanda Sefton! Digitek!)

Post by MissRo »

That is some intensely hideous art right there.