Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Garrison Kane

Post by Jabroniville »

"OH GOD! MY SPINE!! MY SPIIIIIIIINNNE!!!"

WEAPON X (Garrison Kane)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: X-Force #2 (Sept. 1991)
Role: Young Punk (early personality), Weird Power Guy, Captain Poor Fashion Sense
Group Affiliations: Weapon: P.R.I.M.E., Weapon X, The Wild Pack/Six Pack
PL 9 (138)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 5 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Mercenary) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimdiation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Equipment (Spy Gear), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Partial-Conversion Cyborg"
"Skin-Morphing Armour" Protection 2 (Feats: Subtle) [3]
"Cybernetic Arms" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cybernetic Eyes" Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]

"Cybernetic Arms"
Built-In Tasers" Affliction 7 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) [14]
"Anatomic Separation" Features 2: May Separate One or Both Hands [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Tasers +11 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Armour), Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Weapon-X)
Enemy (Cable)
Phobia (Claustrophic)

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 14 (138)

The Shittiest Weapon X:
-Kane is a terrible design and a terrible character. He was thrown in to give Cable some backstory, as part of the failing of the Six-Pack (he lost his arms and legs when Cable bailed on them), but ended up in his horrible red collared belly-shirt thing with dark grey tights. Just a mess overall. His weird powers didn't help matters, and his link to the Weapon X program just served to make him seem MORE lame by comparison- you have Wolverine, the top character of the '90s, and THIS asshole sharing the same team? Now a cyborg with a "his hands fly off and grab people at range" gimmick, he's farted around the outskirts of X-characters for a long time, too- having MUCH more of a life than the rest of the Weapon: P.R.I.M.E. goons.

-Kane debuted fighting Deadpool, grossing him out with his distinctive "his hands pop off" gimmick. He appears in flashback acting like a cocky young man, boasting about his skill and good looks (corroborated by other characters- even males- that he is indeed a pretty boy), but in modern times he's cybernetic. One arc in the back-pages of X-Force shows him battling the Mutant Liberation Front, deftly handling even three of them at once (sending Wildside away with his detached hand in two separate issues, then clubbing Forearm with his own detached arm, and later tasering him down). Here, he learns that Cable & Stryfe share a face. He joins G.W. Bridge's anti-Cable group Weapon: P.R.I.M.E., and was the only member of the team to actually DEFEAT his opponent in the story where the two teams fought! He had his hand chopped off by Shatterstar, but then defeated the Mojoverse warrior by electrocuting him with the stump- this annoyed me as a kid, because I dug Shatterstar and this dude was clearly a loser. However, he was shown to be missing after the explosion destroyed X-Force's hideout. Later, he was badly injured and Cable saved his life by bringing him to the 40th Century, where his bionic limbs were replaced and augmented.

-Without Liefeld around, Kane was pretty well forgotten by Fabian Nicieza, but he eventually forgave Cable's transgressions and engaged in a romantic relationship with Vanessa "Copycat" Carslyle. The character would actually pop up here and there, largely in "We needed a mercenary" roles, like when he rejoined the Six Pack to fight Cable, teamed up with Nomad, or was later seen working for A.I.M. Recently, however, he resurfaced as a crazy guy, again affiliated with Weapon X, who could copy the powers of other Weapon-Xs, meaning that casual link is likely the only reason the character survived to the recent era. He's finally dead, having been blown up when he went nuts and absorbed too many Weapon X powers.

-Kane's built like a weird version of the common Agent build, with some additional stuff. In 2nd Edition, though Anatomic Separation was seemingly BUILT for him (I can't think of too many others who use it), he only got two ranks of it, as it's really only there for him to strangle people from afar (a similar effects is available just by using Features 2 I think- same cost anyways). He once beat Shatterstar, but that was only because of a one-time trick (Shatty tore off one of his arms, so Kane electrocuted him with the stump's wires), but he's an alright PL 9 otherwise. He's got a Taser for long-range attacking, and Weapon-X later gave him tons of powers that are barely worth listing (probably just guns/Blasts, etc.).
Jabroniville

Grizzly (Winchester)

Post by Jabroniville »

GRIZZLY IV (Theodore Winchester)
Created By:
First Appearance: X-Force #8 (March 1992)
Role: The Big Guy, '90s Ideal, Gun Guy, Powers Plus Guns
Group Affiliations: The Wild Pack/Six Pack, Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.
PL 9 (135)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Mercenary) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Current Events) 2 (+4)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+7/+9)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+9, +5 Size)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Equipment 6 (Arsenal), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blasters), Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 6, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Animal-Like Physiology"
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

Equipment:
"Grizzly's Arsenal"
Spy/Merc Gear (3)

"Twin Blasters" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24) -- (27)
  • AE: "Grenades" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range) (20)
  • AE: "Power Rifle" Blast 8 (Feats: Improved Critical, Increased Range) (18)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Guns +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Grenades +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +9, Fortitude +11, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Cable)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 16 (135)

Grizzly- Gun-Toting Mutant Backgrounder:
-Grizzly is a weird design, and it took them a while to nail down his character. A big, red-skinned hairy guy with a big lion's mane of hair, he was a cold-hearted, hateful mercenary who got burned by Cable, and egged on the X-Force kids to dump Cable before he did the same to them. He ended up in the token "Team Strong Guy Fight" with Warpath, but that really didn't go his way, as James Proudstar did some of his classic Fabian Nicieza-written back-talk he did so well ("You invade MY home, and tell me you don't have a problem with me? Well TOUGH- howzabout *I* got a problem with YOU!"), out-muscled Griz, and knocked his ass out cold with a huge right hand ("Shut up! SHUT UP!").

-Despite talking tough in that story, Grizzly was otherwise written as more of a whiner and jokester (both in a flashback earlier on, and later in a story with Domino). Teaming up with Domino to search for the missing Cable (encountering Deadpool, Copycat and others along the way, with his huge gun opening up a giant hole in Wade's body). Here, he teases Dom (joking that a holographic disguise is "the only way anyone could mistake an uncouth GROUCH like you for poised politician like Val Cooper" and sticking his tongue out at a superior while in disguise himself), and he fought against the NEW Weapon: P.R.I.M.E., talking about how he was never really close with the old group and how "I should NOT have expected this!", while giving a rundown on his former teammates (knowing brand-new characters like Double Trouble & Killjoy as well as his old teammates Tigerstryke & Yeti). He only managed to hold off Yeti with his huge guns and distract Killjoy to enable Domino to use some gear to cover their escape.

-And that was his second-last appearance, as he showed up in Cable's own series, where he was mind-controlled by Cable's son "Genesis" into murdering people as a savage beast, and had to be put down by his old pal Domino. Not much of a run for the guy. It's actually kind of bizarre that he was so casually killed off- like most of the X-Force characters of his era, he was given an action figure, and he had this backstory with Cable & Domino... but the just casually offed him, even though his buddy Kane had the same backstory but looked a hundred times stupider.

-Grizzly, to me, is very iconic to the 1990s- that decade was absolutely chock full of mutants like this. Guys who were more about a unique appearance and kewl weapons than, you know, SUPER-POWERS. Despite being mutants, who are defined by having powers that set them apart. These guys had standard power-sets, but ALSO carried vicious weapons, to the point where their baseline powers were almost perfunctory "just to make them Mutants" bits, such as Shatterstar's Tiring Energy Blasts or Domino's "Everything Falls Into Place" ability. Grizzly here was most notable visually for his red body and occasional huge size (Greg Capullo drew him as way larger than any human could be; under other artists he was just "a big muscular guy"), in the stories he was packing huge high-powered guns in most of his appearances, shooting up people with huge blasts that could blow through concrete, but his actual MUTANT powers are strength-related.

Grizzly's Powers:
-Thus, Grizzly stats up as a quasi-Powerhouse and Gun Guy, but he's not quite super-elite at either. An all-around PL 9, he only does +10 damage, but has Power Attack and can dish out some major hits that way if he needs to, but he's never been truly elite- I can't name a single character who he beat in a fight that wasn't a Mook- Warpath handily defeated him in a strength-based contest, regular guns KILLED him (so he's not that durable), and he couldn't even put down the jobbers of Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.

-So he's a PL 9 and should like it. His Growth was kind of hard to figure out, as almost EVERY artist of the '90s drew the team's Powerhouses about twelve feet tall and with arms larger than tree trunks, and Grizzly was depicted as no larger than Warpath during their fight (and that was back when Warpath was only KINDA big), but I decided that he earned full-on Large Size since Domino could easily hide completely behind just his lower body. Grizzly adds some minor animal-type powers to a Powerhouse/Gun Guy build, so almost makes his full PL 9's points-alottment. He's big and tough, but not enough to be overwhelming at any one thing.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Weapon: PRIME! GW Bridge! Kane! Grizzly!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I think I got Gamepro magazine for a bit, mainly because I remember the Flying Warriors comics. And I remember my grandmother got me a subscription to VideoGames & Computer Entertainment before they just became VideoGames - The Ultimate Gaming Magazine.

I don't remember which one Johnny Turbo was in, but I remember two of the comics.
Sidney369

Re: Grizzly (Winchester)

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:22 pm Image
He didn't just have big guns, he had big guns that could also be used as hammers.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Tattooedman

Re: Grizzly (Winchester)

Post by Tattooedman »

Sidney369 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:31 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:22 pm Image
He didn't just have big guns, he had big guns that could also be used as hammers.
In the 90s that makes him EXTRA extreme more edgey.

That said, I don't hate Grizzly, I like the idea that he's only got "minor" strength powers that came with a higher durability and was bigger than average people. So instead of being a powerhouse brawler, he uses his unusual strength to carry bigger & larger guns, too bad most 90s comics drove this idea into the ground and about 30 ft down further.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Hammer (Canty)

Post by Jabroniville »

HAMMER II (Eisenhower "Ike" Canty)
Created By:
First Appearance: X-Force #11 (June 1992)
Role: Vengeful Former Friend
Group Affiliations: The Wild Pack/Six Pack, Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.
PL 8 (110), PL 9 Nullifier
STRENGTH
-2/7 STAMINA 0 AGILITY -5/0
FIGHTING 0/8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Mercenary) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Current Events) 2 (+9)
Insight 4 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 3 (+10)
Vehicles 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Arsenal), Inventor, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Exoskeleton" (Flaws: Removable) [72]
Enhanced Strength 9 (18)
Enhanced Agility 5 (10)
Enhanced Fighting 8 (16)
Enhanced Dodge 8 (8)
Protection 8 (8)
"Magnetic Clamps" Nullify Technology 10 (Extras: Broad) (30)
-- (90 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Exoskeleton +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Magnetic Clamps +8 (+10 Nullify, DC 20)
Initiative -5 (+0 Exoskeleton)

Defenses:
Dodge -5 (DC 5), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +5
"With Exoskeleton" Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +0 (+8 Suit), Fortitude +0, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Cable)- Hammer was crippled deliberately by Cable when a mission went wrong and he intended to give information up to Stryfe.
Disabled (Paraplegic)- Hammer is now wheelchair-bound, unable to move.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 72 / Defenses: 3 (110)

-Hammer was the least-seen member of Six Pack, and the one most screwed over by Cable- when a mission for Mr. Tolliver went south, Hammer was about to give important information to the terrorist Stryfe, and Cable, in desperation, shot Hammer in the back. Paralyzed for life, Hammer was only barely saved by his allies when Cable bottled out, and was left deeply resentful, as you might imagine. He appears briefly in the arc where Domino & Grizzly are in search of Cable (so Dom can join X-Force)- Dom suggests helping them find Cable and the wheelchair-bound man with a feeder-tube in his nose (contrasting the huge guy in flashbacks) replies "Does it involve killing him?" "No". "Then it doesn't involve me". However, Domino is able to convince him, and he drives a high-tech van for the squad, which outstrips the pursuit capabilities of Weapon: P.R.I.M.E. when a mission at Department K goes sideways.

-Hammer briefly reappears in a mechanical exoskeleton as part of the new "Six Pack" hunting Cable when he rules two separate countries. He is given the chance to become a cyborg to walk again, but turns it down, not wanting to lose what humanity he has left.

-Hammer was a huge, imposing man, and also a technical genius. Nowadays he's wheelchair-bound, but eventually builds an exoskeleton that turns him into a super-strong battlefield guy again. He's only PL 8-ish in this form, but can nullify technology just by touching it.
Jabroniville

Tigerstryke

Post by Jabroniville »

TIGERSTRYKE ("Mitchell")
Created By:
Role: Egotistical Punk, Flying Guy
Group Affiliations: Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.
PL 8 (109)
STRENGTH
2/5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Government Agent) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Move-By Action, Ranged Combat 4

Powers:
"Hudson-Type Electro-Magnetic Battlesuit" (Flaws: Removable) [32]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Protection 2 (2)
Senses 1 (Infravision) (1)

Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
"Electro-Magnetic Blast" Blast 8 (Feats: Split) (17)
-- (40 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Battlesuit Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
E-M Blast +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Department K)
Weakness (Battlesuit)- Tigerstryke's battlesuit is vulnerable to electrical & magnetic attacks, as well as sonic bursts.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 10 (109)

-Tigerstryke- you just have to love that kind of stupid '90s name. He was a pretty minor character the first time around with his team (he & Yeti are simply there, already recruited and just mentioned as Department K members), being a background flying guy seemingly created to go against Cannonball (they had similar powers). However, when the battle finally came for Mr. Silly Tiger Costume here, he ended up pairing off against Siryn, because Cannonball was busy with Boomer & Rictor, arguing about old allegiances. So Siryn just tooled him in one shot (no part of their fight was shown aside from that- just her ripping on how her powers could "fry every circuit on your silly suit", which seems like some shade tossed at Rob Liefeld's design for him), and he was turned into "a walking cast" according to Peter Gyrich after X-Force's base blew up.

-Tigerstryke's next appearance saw him actually LEADING Weapon: P.R.I.M.E., which I guess had no allegiance to Bridge beyond that one team-up, and were just another Canadian super-team. However, it was an amateur squad of nobodies who couldn't even beat Domino & Grizzly- the mercenaries easily escaped. Notably, in the second appearance the colorist changed his white & red suit to be orange, white & black, but the next issue dropped that. He appeared as an antagonist-turned-ally in the Northstar Limited Series, leading his team against the hero (who had been framed), but teaming up with him to defeat some circus freak goons of Arcade's, and choosing to let him go free. He made the command decision to leave Northstar alone after witnessing the guy's heroism first-hand, but then that was it for Tigerstryke and his silly team.

-Not a horrible Blaster, but still way under-pointed, and not very high-level (PL 8's enough to challenge an X-Force member, but he'd almost never win). It's left in the air just how much of his powers came from what source, his suit or his own abilities. I mean, the "M" in P.R.I.M.E. stood for "Mutants", but Bridge and Kane weren't mutants, and Yeti/Wendigo likely wasn't either. UXM.net places him as a full Battlesuit user, so I'll go with that one. The suit makes him pretty strong, but he's definitely no elite powerhouse- basically around Cap's level. It does beg the question as to why doesn't EVERY mutant wear a costume like that if it can only benefit you (especially if they're easy enough to make that you'd waste one on someone with a name like TIGERSTRYKE, but that's one of those questions in comics you just don't ask.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: Tigerstryke

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:15 am Image
I know they're just background for this post but I like how the energy twins are white in the first picture and black in the second.
Jabroniville

Re: Tigerstryke

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:03 pm

I know they're just background for this post but I like how the energy twins are white in the first picture and black in the second.
That one panel is one of the most error laden panels I have ever seen. For whatever reason, every colour is off every single one Tigerstryke has actual tiger colors, Yeti is BROWN, and Killjoy & Double Trouble‘s entire colour schemes changed. This one panel is the only instance of any of these colors. Either somebody was guessing or hey had the completely wrong templates.
Jabroniville

The Yeti (Wendigo)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE YETI II (Real Name Unknown, aka Wendigo)
Created By:
Role: Controlled Monster
PL 8 (102)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+11)
Expertise (Hunter) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+9, +11 Size)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 7 (+9, +5 Size)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Close Attack, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Natural Weapons- Teeth & Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 12) [14]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Extended Hearing, Tracking-Scent) [5]
"Strike Him Down and He Shall Only Rise Again" Regeneration 4 [4]

"Arctic Creature"
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Natural Weapons +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (The Wendigo Curse)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 12 (102)

A Wendigo! But Not!:
-Yeti is maybe the most classic example of how haphazardly Liefeld & Nicieza really wrote this whole "Weapon: P.R.I.M.E." arc- it's never even really detailed what this guy IS, and he's one of the members of a team they spent 11 issues building! Is he a real Wendigo? He was called Wendigo at first! Why is he renamed Yeti? Is that an inhibitor collar? Can he talk or not? And why was he brown that one time? THEY NEVER EXPLAIN ANY OF THIS, and he appears in something like ten comics in a supporting role! It's so friggin' weird! And you can't even blame Rob for all of that, because other writers did half that shit! Marvunapp points out a funny thing- Yeti was in five different X-Force issues, and appeared on panel a maximum of EIGHT TIMES!

-So when this character debuted, it was clearly named "Wendigo" and was put onto Weapon: P.R.I.M.E. as part of Department K's liaison with G.W. Bridge (a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent) and some former Six Pack members. But it's not clear what's going on- the Wendigo is a savage beast created from a curse afflicted upon people when they engage in cannibalism within Canadian borders. Is that an inhibitor collar on him? That's a semi-common thing in Marvel to control bestial characters, so probably. But nobody ever explains what it is. When we see the character next (as Bridge's team attacks X-Force), he's just called "Yeti". Yeti was a COOL idea at first, being a controlled-monster that was extremely bad-ass, and looked to really kick X-Force's ass... but the already-mentioned de-push of Weapon: P.R.I.M.E. resulted in the Yeti just getting HIS ass kicked, as he tangled with Feral, who for whatever reason totally outclassed him and ripped him apart- this made him looking like a loser (she shredded his chest and that was the last we saw of him). With the PRIMEsters down 5-1 on their debut (Bridge, Tygerstrike, Yeti, Grizzly & Rictor lost to their opponents, while only Kane beat Shatterstar), things didn't look good. Subsequently, we learn from a S.H.I.E.L.D. guy that Yeti was missing along with Grizzly.

Later Yeti Appearances:
-Later in X-Force, Domino & Grizzly investigate Department K while looking for Cable, and it turns out that Weapon: P.R.I.M.E. is waiting for them in full costume- the group now consists of Tigerstryke, Yeti, Double Trouble and Killjoy- Grizzly helpfully names them in the next issue. In the first, Yeti is inexplicably colored brown, but he's white in the next one (the entire team ends up recolored from their single-panel apperance to the next issue, in fact), and is seen wordlessly shrugging off Domino's laser blasts and doesn't do anything else in the fight. Like he maybe only appears in two panels- one in each issue.

-And then, even weirder, Yeti's with Weapon: P.R.I.M.E. in Northstar... and now he can TALK! Mute in literally every other appearance, he's not only smaller here, but has a fairly normal style of speech, only mixed in with animalistic noises ("Krrrrrr... just tell us where he is!" "That wasn't very nice. Then again... neither's THIS!"). Two issues later, he's attacked by mind-controlled circus-goers and shouts "Boss, I'd appreciate a command decision for Crissakes- I'm gettin' my hairy BUTT kicked here!". And again he doesn't really do anything that matters in the plot- he tags Northstar with a punch, but misses the follow-up due to the hero's speed (Northstar rips on him for being a slower and dumber version of Sasquatch), and Northstar later pulls the "make them run into each other" trick, causing Tigerstryke & Yeti to collide when both dive into him.

The Yeti's Powers:
-The Yeti's FAR underpointed, given that he's just a dumb animal with barely-there fighting skills- the collar apparently (ie. us fans are left to extrapolate everything) inhibits his killer instinct and abilities in addition to it's mental craziness. He's tough and powerful, but lacks any kind of decent accuracy or defensive skills, so expect any team's Scrapper or Brick to just beat the living crap out of him. Honestly, my original build was PL 9 and I've kept that going for ages, but looking at his appearances... that's just way too high. I mean, he is HANDILY defeated by Feral, and then Northstar survives a shot from him and then embarrasses him with his defenses. He's not worthy of PL 9 at all!
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Weapon: PRIME! GW Bridge! Kane! Grizzly!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So I checked my issues and took pictures, because these guys have otherwise very little online- Yeti now has tons of images, showing just how big a difference there was between appearances.

And this shows you the weird difference between issues, as the entire roster appear in this image in one issue:

And their very next appearance, in the issue immediately following, depicts this:

Jabroniville

Double Trouble

Post by Jabroniville »

DOUBLE TROUBLE (Real Names Unknown)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Greg Capullo
First Appearance: X-Force #22 (May 1993)
Role: Blasters, Names Attached To Powers (and nothing else)
PL 8 (65)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Expertise (Government Agent) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Plasma Blast) 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Improved Aim, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Symbiotic Plasma Discharge"
All Powers have Flaw: Limited to Sister's Proximity
Blast 8 (Feats: Split) [9]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [4]

Senses 1 (Communication Link- Other Sister) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Plasma Blast +7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.)
Weakness (Symbiotic "Tether")- Double Trouble are Symbiotic Plasma Generators, with a "tether" of energy between them- if anything is thrown between them, an explosion is set off that will easily stun them and whomever's stuck in between.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 13 (65)

-Double Trouble suffers from "Acolyte Syndrome", in that someone just created them for a funny name or power idea, and didn't think to add anything else to it. One sister had one line, and that was the totality of their X-Force experience, as they tried to chase down Domino & Grizzly. Curiously, the entire team was coloured differently between appearances- in one issue, the twins are turquoise (thank you Wikipedia colour list) & light blue/white, the next they're light blue & yellow! They failed to hit anything- in their Northstar appearance (keeping the second color scheme), they failed to be any more impressive- in fact, they don't even get to ATTACK at first, as Northstar throws Killspree in between them, setting off an explosion that stuns them all! Literally the only things they've ever said is a mutual "Wow. Fast" at Domino & Grizzly's escape in Hammer's souped-up battle van, and then "Draw deep, sister---" "and unleash the beast!". That's ridiculous for named characters on an actual super-team that were adversaries in two different storylines.

-Supremely low points cost, PL 8 Blasters. Not much to them, and the Flaw really hits them hard as well. Much like the Fenris Twins, they have to be close to each other to use their attacks, and otherwise they can't do anything. They're not even in really good shape. THE ENFORCERS could probably kick their asses with ease! Like, they didn't have the longest run, but who creates characters like this without ever even planning to show them DOING anything? It's not even clear if they really have that limit on their powers!
Jabroniville

Killjoy

Post by Jabroniville »

"WITNESS MY 90s-FUELED RAGE! ARM BLADES! SICK SMILE ON COSTUME! BLADED HAIR! RARH!!!"

KILLJOY / KILLSPREE (Real Names Unknown)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Greg Capullo
First Appearance: X-Force #22 (May 1993)
Role: Blade Guy, The Scrapper, Bad-Ass Image-Type Named Guy
PL 8 (84)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Expertise (Government Agent) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical (Blades), Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Startle

Powers:
"Bad-Ass Super-90s Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [10]
"Arm Blades" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) (Feats: Penetrating 5) (10)
"Titanium Plated Armour" Protection 2 (2)
-- (12 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blades +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+6 Armour), Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 11 (84)

-I thought Killjoy was pretty cool when I first saw him, but then, I was like 13 and he HAD SWORDS ON HIS ARMS, GUYS. This guy's such a good rip-off of the types that Liefeld, Silvestri & co. were creating in Image at the time that he could have fit right into that universe without any extra badass-ness. I mean, his name is KILLJOY- he even has the naming scheme of "Negative connotative word with disturbing or similarly negative connotative word" (Deathshot, Bloodshot, Killjoy, Die-Cut, Death Metal, Bloodaxe, Deathmate, etc.). But he didn't really take off, despite getting his own TOY (!) when he had five appearances combined, and he only showed up in a Northstar Limited Series after this. And I have no idea why he changed his name to "Killspree" afterwards (though Image Comics featuring a character by that name might have had something to do with it), or why what is supposed to be a SUPER-HERO TEAM would have a guy with a name like that. His big Colour-Switch in his second appearance turned him from a cool black suit with red armor into a big purple suit with golden armor. He looks pretty Image-y either way, but the first was better, I thought. And hee, look at his dreads.

-In Northstar, Killspree manages to tag Northstar with an attack from behind, with the hero noting that Yeti's frontal assault is meant to set up Killspree leaping in like that- Northstar manages to avoid him, trip him up, then spin him around by his spiky dreadlocks and throw him into the "tether" between Double Trouble, setting off a chain reaction that stuns all of them. Funny thing is he's not even that savage or murderous- his comments are pretty generic and low-key, particularly for a guy with blades on his arms named "Killspree"- "It's a trick! It MUST be!" and "They're normal... I THINK. My command of Russian is basic to say the least... what I DID gather is that the local law enforcement is on its way. I think we should be gone before they arrive".

-Standard low-pointed Scrapper type guy. He's alright in a fight, but would lose to any PL 9 or PL 10 guy pretty bad- UXM.net says he has enhanced strength, but I've never seen any evidence of it- they tend to plop that onto absolutely every guy in the X-verse without any obvious super-powers. He's just a costume-based fighter-guy, high enough to be annoying, but that's it. I mean, the guy hasn't been seen in over a decade now.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Kane! Grizzly! Tigerstryke! The Yeti! Killjoy!)

Post by greycrusader »

Huh. I almost think more could be done with these goofballs, that they could make for a fun miniseries or two, kind of a Canadian Great Lakes Avengers team (wait, isn’t that Alpha Flight?), not doing any “self-aware” mockery but just embracing their sheer outlandishness, because comics should be fun and imaginative.of course, I’m the weirdo who created The Candy Crew for Freedom City’s universe (but they did prove popular!).

All my best.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Kane! Grizzly! Tigerstryke! The Yeti! Killjoy!)

Post by Davies »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:26 pm Huh. I almost think more could be done with these goofballs, that they could make for a fun miniseries or two, kind of a Canadian Great Lakes Avengers team (wait, isn’t that Alpha Flight?),
Huh. For the first time ever, I feel an urge to defend Alpha Flight. <beat> It's passed.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."