Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Kane! Grizzly! Tigerstryke! The Yeti! Killjoy!)

Post by greycrusader »

Davies wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:15 pm
greycrusader wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:26 pm Huh. I almost think more could be done with these goofballs, that they could make for a fun miniseries or two, kind of a Canadian Great Lakes Avengers team (wait, isn’t that Alpha Flight?),
Huh. For the first time ever, I feel an urge to defend Alpha Flight. <beat> It's passed.
Oh, I actually am really fond of Alpha Flight; but they’ve been shoddily treated by Marvel ever since the original series ended way back when.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And that's it for these doofuses! Another set of re-posts down! This is largely to fill out old bios and boost things from either re-reading issues or getting additional bio-stuff out there.

Next up... well, I was looking at Grizzly here being the fourth character to use that name, and realized that I'd never done bios for I and II. And I is a Wild West outlaw who dressed up as a GRIZZLY BEAR in a steel-lined costume to help him frame the Rawhide Kid as a bankrobber... who trained grizzly bears to rob banks for him. HOW HAVE I NEVER STATTED HIM UP BEFORE!?!?
Jabroniville

Grizzly (Fenton)

Post by Jabroniville »

GRIZZLY I (Ace Fenton)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Dick Ayers
First Appearance: Rawhide Kid #40 (June 1964)
Role: Western Villain, Fursuiter
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2/0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Western Outlaw) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pistol +5), Improved Critical (Pistol), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Grizzly Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
"Lined With Steel" Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 9) (15)
Features 1: Increased Mass (1)
"Looks Like a Grizzly" Enhanced Skills 4: Intimidation 4 (+9) (2)
Reduced Agility -2 (-4)
Immunity 5 (Ballistics) (5)
-- (19 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2 (+0 Suit)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+6 Suit, DC 18-16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+8 Suit, +6 Impervious), Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Grizzly is an outlaw.
Enemy (The Rawhide Kid)- Grizzly seems particularly interested in framing his adversary.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 9 (90)

-Good lord, lol- Stan Lee was writing goofy super-villains in his WESTERN stuff, which continued on into the 1960s. I honestly always forget Marvel was publishing stuff like Rawhide Kid all the way through the 1960s- hell, its final issue was in *1970*! In any case, Marvel's first "Grizzly" was actually a Western villain who vexed the Rawhide Kid AND the Two-Gun Kid. He was a bank robber who wore a goddamn GRIZZLY COSTUME lined with steel to protect him from bullets, and escaped both heroes. When Rawhide Kid was accused of train robbery, this guy stirred up the people of Tombstone, Arizona to suspect him of training a grizzly to rob banks, thus making Rawhide part of his cover story. On the day of Rawhide's trial, the Grizzly burst in to further implicate him- however, he tried to kill the hero, failing and having his mask removed. Rawhide & Two-Gun found his empty costume and tracked him to a saloon, where Rawhide beat him in a gunfight and handed him over to the authorities. The Grizzly was never seen again.

-The original Grizzly was a standard Western Outlaw, but a bit clever. He's a good liar and is able to successfully appear like a grizzly bear while wearing a COSTUME, which is a bit above the textile levels of 1880s America, but hey- it's comics.
Davies

Post by Davies »

And there were a few reprints and original Western titles even in the 70s, though not nearly as much as there was at DC.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Grizzly (A.I.M. Agent)

Post by Jabroniville »

GRIZZLY II (Real Name Unknown, aka Agent R-1)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Captain America #120 (Dec. 1969)
Role: A.I.M. Agent, One-Off Threat
Group Affiliations: Advanced Idea Mechanics

-Five years after the debut of the Western outlaw Grizzly, Stan Lee created another character by that name. It was the code-name of an A.I.M. Agent R-1, who teamed with Agent R-2 to capture an atomic scientist named Paul Fosgrove from a campus. Hilariously dressed like hippies, they duped an inventor to use his Hypno-Ray to create a massive fight on the campus where Fosgrove worked, but Captain America arrived, using Grizzly's gun to shoot their escape copter down. Somehow Fosgrove was saved by this, and Agent R-2 was defeated. Grizzly's fate after the helicopter crashed was unrevealed.

-This Grizzly is just some generic spy- a good liar, presumably, and armed with only a gun.
Jabroniville

Platoon

Post by Jabroniville »

PLATOON (Dr. David Chodosh)
Created By:
Terry Kavanagh & Jae Lee
First Appearance: Spider-Man #42 (Jan. 1992)
Role: One-Off Villain, Would-Be Evil Businessman
Group Affiliations: A.R.M.S.
PL 7 (96)
STRENGTH
1/6 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Platoon Warsuit" (Flaws: Removable) [40]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Protection 7 (7)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)

"Acid Projectors" Blast 3 Linked to Weaken Toughness 4 (Extras: Affects Objects, Ranged) (18) -- (21)
  • AE: "Heat-Seeking Missiles" Blast 7 (Feats: Homing 4, Ricochet 2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (13)
  • AE: "Sonic Pulse Emitters" Dazzle Hearing 6 (Extras: Area- Audio Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) (12)
  • AE: Blast 6 (Feats: Variable- Energy, Buzzsaws) (13)
-- (50 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Powersuit +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blast +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Heat-Seeking Missiles +6 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Sonic Pulse +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1 (+8 Warsuit), Fortitude +2, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Chodosh is a criminal.
Secret (Traitor)- Chodosh is betraying Danny Rand's company to A.R.M.S. for resources- once Rand is resurrected, the jig is almost up and he knows it.
Vulnerable (Exposed Wiring)- The Platoon Warsuit is durable, but the internal wiring is easily exposed, and clever opponents can take advantage of that.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 6 (96)

-Platoon comes from a Spider-Man story in which one of Danny Rand's analysts turns out to be building a set of powersuits using Rand's resources. Dr. David Chodosh had joined a group called "A.R.M.S." which was intending to compete with A.I.M. in sales to criminal organizations, and use a powersuit in a very public attack to shore up interest. Iron Fist & Spider-Man investigated, naturally having the "fistfight due to a misunderstanding" first (Spidey OF COURSE thinking Iron Fist had gone rogue after he was threatened at the Daily Bugle not to investigate thefts leading to Rand). The story was three issues long and meant nothing in the long term, but 1992 Jae Lee art was some VERY pretty stuff and stands out even now as great.

-Spidey & Iron Fist were jumped by Chodosh in a warsuit- calling himself "Platoon", he knocked them out, impressing some of the lead criminals of the era (Shinobi Shaw, HYDRA, Sat-Yr-9, Richard Fisk), who were placing orders. But the heroes quickly recovered, beat up Platoon (Iron Fist exposed some wiring, and Spidey then made a makeshift electro-magnetic pulse that locked it down), and started curbstomping an army of Warsuits that arrived using a feedback loop from the wiring they'd exposed- this led to all the orders being cancelled. The A.R.M.S. heads of office attempted to abandon their office for their private helicopters, but encountered some A.I.M. Bucketheads- they announced that A.R.M.S. had been absorbed into A.I.M., who now owned everything they had... but that they didn't need any new blood, and so they opened fire on the A.R.M.S. staff, killing them.

-In 1994, the Annex Limited Series featured Annex going up against a Platoon Warsuit A-1 of the same design. He tried to question the pilot, but wasn't getting any answers so KO'd him and wore the suit himself to infiltrate his enemies. Chodosh apparently later appears as a one-off backgrounder in the Marvel Knights Spider-Man issue where the Venom symbiote is being auctioned off.

-The Platoon Warsuit is a pretty basic suit of armor- strong, tough, Blasts, Missiles, etc. Humorously, the "New Villain Stink" wears off so quickly that Chodosh, a BUSINESSMAN, is able to knock out both Iron Fist & Spider-Man via a sneak attack in one issue and then fights both to a standstill and they have to be sneaky to defeat him... and then the heroes begin annihilating several suits at a time using the same method. Overall the suit is mostly PL 6-ish, but PL 7 with regards to durability. Most Generic Mooks wearing the armor would have similar offensive stats, but be less intelligent.
Jabroniville

The Next Wave

Post by Jabroniville »

THE NEXT WAVE
Created By:
Howard Mackie, Andy Kubert & Joe Kubert
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #29 (Sept. 1992)
Role: Jobber Mercenaries

-HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH OH MY GOD! ANOTHER Jobber Team! I still keep finding these guys! So the Next Wave are a band of mercenaries, initially seen as a trio- Agent-X, Snare & Turk. They had been a trio of popular super-powered operatives for the Penner security firm, but had finally asked for a new contract after two years on the job. Their request was refused, and so they decided to go mercenary... but an angry Turk accidentally blew the wall off of one of Penner's buildings. Figuring that retaliation was now inevitable, they just attacked the company in a "preemptive strike", but the battle (which saw them easily beat back Penner security) also led to the death of a woman when they blew up her house. This activated Ghost Rider's vengeance-seeking, and so he attacked the trio. They did rather well, but Wolverine & The Beast then showed up (oh, of course) and Ghost Rider used his Penance Stare on Turk, then knocked out the other two.

Then, literally TWO MONTHS LATER, the Next Wave shows up in the pages of Silver Sable and the Wild Pack, now having set up shop as rival mercenaries! Like, REALLY? Who was clamoring for THEM to show up again? I mean, it would make sense if the two books shared a writer, but they did not- Gregory Wright wrote the Silver Sable book, then on its seventh issue as Marvel was just churning out crap upon crap in order to keep up sales.

In any case, they now have a successful mercenary business, and the Sandman does an interview with them- in Silver Sable #11, he fully quits working for Sable and he & Fin (a big fin-headed powerhouse) join the Next Wave. They are quickly sent on a mission that just happens to involve the Wild Pack as well, as both are hired by HYDRA (probably through a proxy) to attack "The Genetic Coalition" and their Cyberwarrior mooks- the Coalition's base floods, and they then attack Mount Wundagore, and the Knights of Wundagore, Wild Pack, Next Wave, Stingray and Siege (lol, really?) all team up to stop them, hacking the Cyberwarrior gear to shut them all down at once. Along the way, Snare & Turk act completely psychotic and hyper-violent, angering Agent-X- he asks Silver Sable to make the Next Wave her operatives on retainer, but she denies him, saying they're not up to her standards. The Sandman asks to rejoin the Wild Pack, and is accepted back. Fin also quits and joins an "Intruders" sub-faction of the Wild Pack.

Finally, two years later in Ghost Rider, Mackie uses them again- the original trio (Fin is now gone) have "never met defeat", until confronted by rivals The Posse, who beat them and have been hunting them from place to place for a month. The Next Wave makes a stand in New York's Chinatown during a parade, causing massive bloodshed and luring in Ghost Rider once more- they still manage to escape everyone (GR has to sacrifice himself temporarily to keep a bomb away from innocents). Finally, the Posse attacked them once more, now revealed as agents of Penner Security- Wolverine attacked again (man did GR just have his phone number or something?) and defeats the Posse, while GR uses his Penance Stare on the Next Wave, beating them all. This is the end of the Next Wave, who disappear without ever really mattering or even having much characterization.

Then, amazingly, someone remembers them in 2018 (probably someone scoping old comics or Marvunapp for generic backgrounders, lol), as a Weapon X book features all three Next Wave members stuck in a fighting league created by a satanic cult... led by Rev. William Stryker & Mentallo, who uses his powers to force people to fight. "Weapon X-Force" (lol oh jesus) arrived to break it up, and soon freed the victims after being fought by an army of baddies. They help fight off Stryker, empowered by Satan himself, but Stryker disappears.

The writer on their Marvunapp bio says that he read that the trio was meant to be a riff on Jim Lee (Agent-X), Rob Liefeld (Snare) & Todd MacFarlane (Turk), who had just quit Marvel to form Image, but I dunno. Whoever wrote their Official Handbook entry in 2008 definitely was in on the joke, though, putting variations of their names in as the real names of the group.

So yeah, these guys are hilariously bad, but also stupid in a fun way. Like, look at that Silver Sable story- this involves not only her whole Wild Pack, but the Next Wave (with an ADDITIONAL member this time), HYDRA, Baron Strucker (commanding an underling to hire mercenaries), Stingray (a liaison helping out Sable's team with aquatic stuff), SIEGE, then the whole damn Knights of Wundagore. Like this is 20+ characters for a SINGLE ISSUE. That, to me, is maybe more "1992 Comics" than anything else in this bio- even ignoring all the Edgelord-y stuff, the notion of a story that gets so hyper-complicated and messy that you need twenty characters over 22 pages is ludicrous.

The Roster:
Agent-X- Leader, unrelated to the later Agent X.
Turk- Crazy guy.
Snare
The Sandman- Joins them, but quits after their first mission to go back to the Wild Pack.
Fin- A big aquatic guy- joins with Sandman, but quits with him to join the Wild Pack.
Skavenger

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:43 am Image
Geezus, their outfits make Psylocke's power thong look *comfortable*.
Jabroniville

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Jabroniville »

Skavenger wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:35 am Geezus, their outfits make Psylocke's power thong look *comfortable*.
I think they're just standard Comic Book Bodystockings. Though the later rendition has their face coloring match their legs, though their legs have a lot of shading on them so it's hard to tell if that's just stockings or bare skin or what.
Jabroniville

Agent X (Burley)

Post by Jabroniville »

AGENT X I (James Burley)
Created By:
Role: Jobber Mercenary
Group Affiliations: The Next Wave
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Expertise (Mercenary) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Bio-Swords +3), Improved Critical (Bio-Swords), Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Bio-Blasts" Blast 8 (Feats: Split) [17]
Force Field 6 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Others) [18]
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Katanas +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bio-Blasts +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+10 Force Field), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Next Wave sought to go freelance after being turned down for raises, and since became mercenaries.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 11 (140)

-Agent X is the leader of the Next Wave, and their calmest member, often trying to rein in Turk in particular. He appears to be a confident sort, wielding paired swords called "Bio-Swords", and asked for a raise from their security firm on behalf of his allies. Turned down, he decided to become a mercenary, but tried to make the best of things when Turk set off a huge fight with Penner Security, and again when he killed a civilian. Agent-X managed to fly Ghost Rider into the air and drop him, then knock down GR, Wolverine & Beast with Bio-Blasts, but was swiftly knocked out along with Snare. In the Next Wave's second appearance, Agent X again tried to calm Turk & Snare, but failed- the ship they were fighting on sunk.

-With the backstory that the Next Wave were deliberate parodies of the guys who quit Marvel, I do note that Agent X does look a little bit like Jim Lee, and the Handbook writer who gave him his real name in 2008 contains Lee's name in it.

-Agent X actually has a remarkable grab-bag of powers, sporting swords, Bio-Blasts (which can be channeled through his swords), Flight, and even a FORCE FIELD, which was often used to expand and cover his allies. He is thus massively expensive for a PL 8 guy, making his PL at range and with his Bio-Swords, but PL 10 with his Force Field.
Jabroniville

Snare

Post by Jabroniville »

SNARE (Robert Fielder)
Created By:
Role: Jobber Mercenary, Gun Guy
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 5 (Arsenal), Improved Critical (Omnium Net), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Huge Gun" Blast 8 (Inaccurate -1) (15)
"Pistol" Blast 5 (10)
"Cable Gun" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)
"Omnium Steel Net" Snare 7 (21)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Pistol +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Huge Gun +7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Omnium Steel Net +9 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Next Wave sought to go freelance after being turned down for raises, and since became mercenaries.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (101)

-Snare was a gadget-user on the team, and wore a pretty Image-esque uniform, consisting of a silver face-covering that didn't leave his eyes exposed, plus the "twin-pronged" mask type that was common back then (Wolverine used it, you see). However, his fighting style is more Spider-Man-esque, as he swung around on a cable and specialized in an ensnaring weapon. Snare wielded both big guns and an "Omnium Steel" net, which he used to ensnare Ghost Rider until Wolverine freed him with his claws, then Wolverine. However, the Beast then steamrolled him and Snare was beaten by Ghost Rider. In the later story, Snare & Turk did well against the Cyberwarriors, but did too much damage and the ship they were fighting in sunk. His real name, given in 2008, is an obvious reference to Rob Liefeld.

-Snare is a pretty effective "team guy", but doesn't have the "oomph" to take down major superheroes. At best, he can stall them for a few turns with his Omnium Steel Net. His big gun is powerful enough to destroy a "Cyberwarrior" with a single shot, at least.
Jabroniville

Turk

Post by Jabroniville »

TURK (Todd Flaminirezck)
Created By:
Role: Jobber Mercenary, Gun Guy
PL 8 (110)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 6 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 3 (Pistol +4, Time Bombs +6 Area- Triggered, Armor +1), Improved Critical (Guns), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Energy Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [15]
Blast 8 (Extras: Penetrating) (24 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Pistol +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Energy Gun +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Time Bombs +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Psychotic)- Turk is a crazed psychopath, constantly getting too worked up and either damaging something nearby, or killing a civilian or something.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 13 (110)

-Turk was the insane one on the Next Wave- when the team was turned down for a raise, they agreed to quit and go mercenary, but he got so agitated he shot a hole in the wall of their office at the security firm! The team then had to fight their way through security, and in the process he accidentally destroyed a woman's home and killed her! This activated the Ghost Rider, who assaulted the team- Turk even managed to use specialized ammunition to blow him up temporarily. He was the victim of the Penance Stare at issue's end, being the one responsible for bloodshed and needing vengeance.

-In the team's next story, Turk is so battle-crazed he ends up destroying the ship the team is fighting in. Later, when the Next Wave & Wild Pack team up with Siege and the Knights of Wundagore, he nearly shoots his ally Siege, mistaking him for a Cyberwarrior- Chen of the Wild Pack has to break his weapon and calls him an idiot. In their final Ghost Rider appearance, he appears terrified by the Posse's continued hunting of his team, and after briefly taking on Ghost Rider again, is quickly defeated and given the Penance Stare once more. In the Weapon X story in 2018, Turk actually manages to damage William Stryker's cybernetic shell during a fight.

-Turk is a dangerous "Gun Guy" but is crazed and stupid. Nearly every situation the team gets involved in features him killing someone by accident or doing way too much damage. His big gun is damaging enough to take down an entire house in one shot, blow up Ghost Rider (who can regenerate, of course), or destroy a Cyberwarrior. Normally an idiot jobber like this would be PL 7, but like... these guys made a mess of a LOT of people. He took down Ghost Rider! And blew up tons of Cyberwarriors (who were supposed to be Deathlok-esque). He's still a dumbass and not fully his PL on defense, but still.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Tigerstryke! Yeti! Killjoy! Grizzly I-IV! Next Wave!)

Post by Ares »

I'll take these Next Wave guys over the Agents of HATE.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Fin

Post by Jabroniville »

FIN (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Gregory Wright & Tom Grindberg
First Appearance: Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #11 (April 1993)
Role: Big Guy, Goonsweeper
Group Affiliations: The Next Wave, The Intruders
PL 8 (111)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
"Sonar" Senses 3 (Distance Sense, Accurate Hearing) [3]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Hitting Things)- Fin's love of hitting things is so prominent that it can bring him out of any sort of funk.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 11 (111)

-Fin is a pretty inexplicable sort of dude- he's named after and somewhat resembles the Golden Age character The Fin (a Sub-Mariner-esque aquatic guy also created by Bill Everett), but he's a huge, muscular dude with no given origin story nor real name, loves to fight and hit things, appears with a mercenary group at first, then quits to join Silver Sable's team, but never appears outside of her book. Fin debuts joining the Sandman in being recruited onto the super-powered mercenary team "The Next Wave". However, their first mission is a disaster- Turk & Snare do way too much damage to the enemy submarine, causing it to sink. The Next Wave teams up with Silver Sable's group and others to beat their targets, but Fin joins Sandman in quitting their group and is accepted into Silver Sable's fold.

-Fin then appears on "The Intruders", a super-merc team formed for additional jobs by Sable- it consists of Fin, Sandman, Man-Eater & Paladin. He is by this point characterized almost entirely by his love of hitting- he is openly disappointed whenever battles end early or through trickery (like when the Cyberwarriors they were fighting got shut down by computers). Later, it was discovered on a night on the town with the Sandman that he was a physics geek and was into opera. He joins in some later Intruders battles, like ones against Justin Hammer's agents during a gang war (he is frozen in place by Blizzard, but throws Beetle into a wall) or against HYDRA, and was simply a backgrounder for much of the rest- Marvunapp lists a lot of stories where he APPEARS, but not many where his actions actually matter to the story. He is saddened with the others when Silver Sable retires from active duty at the end of the Silver Sable book, but is cheered up by the thought of hitting things again.

-Fin never appears in another comic book after Silver Sable is cancelled until the "Fifty State Initiative" era, where both he & Man-Eater are teamed up again, joining Vermont's Initiative team, The Garrison. Both are easily defeated by Penance (Speedball) when he attacks a nuclear facility. So we never learn why he has a fin on his head and why he's so strong. In all, he seems like he was invented because the artist wanted to draw a huge guy with a prominent fin on his head- it was often seen flowing around during fights, and was retractible (possibly to allow them to alter the height whenever).

-Fin is one of those classic "Vaguely Strong" powerhouse guys. He's big, strong and durable to the point where he can shrug off small arms fire with ease, but he's just a basic "hits dudes" character who has zero wins over "name" opponents. In combat, he's pretty much just a "Goonsweeper", diving in and laying out dozens of mooks (All-Out Attack, Takedown 2). His love of physics creates some odd one-offs, like where he calculates an object's speed by watching it go by, and guesses a car's weight by the pressure visible on its tires. Otherwise he's a simple-minded brawler with a poor vocabulary.
scc

Re: Grizzly (Fenton)

Post by scc »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:27 pm Image

GRIZZLY I (Ace Fenton)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Dick Ayers
First Appearance: Rawhide Kid #40 (June 1964)
Role: Western Villain, Fursuiter
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2/0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Western Outlaw) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pistol +5), Improved Critical (Pistol), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Grizzly Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
"Lined With Steel" Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 9) (15)
Features 1: Increased Mass (1)
"Looks Like a Grizzly" Enhanced Skills 4: Intimidation 4 (+9) (2)
Reduced Agility -2 (-4)
Immunity 5 (Ballistics) (5)
-- (19 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2 (+0 Suit)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+6 Suit, DC 18-16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+8 Suit, +6 Impervious), Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Grizzly is an outlaw.
Enemy (The Rawhide Kid)- Grizzly seems particularly interested in framing his adversary.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 9 (90)

-Good lord, lol- Stan Lee was writing goofy super-villains in his WESTERN stuff, which continued on into the 1960s. I honestly always forget Marvel was publishing stuff like Rawhide Kid all the way through the 1960s- hell, its final issue was in *1970*! In any case, Marvel's first "Grizzly" was actually a Western villain who vexed the Rawhide Kid AND the Two-Gun Kid. He was a bank robber who wore a goddamn GRIZZLY COSTUME lined with steel to protect him from bullets, and escaped both heroes. When Rawhide Kid was accused of train robbery, this guy stirred up the people of Tombstone, Arizona to suspect him of training a grizzly to rob banks, thus making Rawhide part of his cover story. On the day of Rawhide's trial, the Grizzly burst in to further implicate him- however, he tried to kill the hero, failing and having his mask removed. Rawhide & Two-Gun found his empty costume and tracked him to a saloon, where Rawhide beat him in a gunfight and handed him over to the authorities. The Grizzly was never seen again.

-The original Grizzly was a standard Western Outlaw, but a bit clever. He's a good liar and is able to successfully appear like a grizzly bear while wearing a COSTUME, which is a bit above the textile levels of 1880s America, but hey- it's comics.
Wow I never heard of this one. It is so ridiculous so of course I love it.