Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: Jab's Builds! (Black Widow! Master Mind Excello! Dynamic Man!)

Post by Shock »

Miss Fury has shown up with her own comic from some Indy publisher recently.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I do love the comics history I learn here. I don't comment much, because I don't have anything to add. It's all new to me. But this nerd history lesson is exactly the sort of thing that got me watching the old forums in the first place.

I'd share my opinion on Beauty and the Beast, but I feel like that would be what it takes to finally get me run out of town with torches and pitchforks...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

BriarThrone wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:09 pm I do love the comics history I learn here. I don't comment much, because I don't have anything to add. It's all new to me. But this nerd history lesson is exactly the sort of thing that got me watching the old forums in the first place.
Thanks! I'm glad people enjoyed it! While working on it (took two friggin' days), I was like "are people even going to care? Am I totally just wasting time cataloging ALL of these guys?" Because believe me, looking up info for them is rather annoying- Wikipedia & ComicVine have basically nothing. I was stuck going with Marvel Wikia, which is my LEAST favorite of my sources- Wikia sites are notorious for bogging down internet browsers, so you can only have a couple tabs on it at a time. And Wikia tends to include pointless stuff that makes bios a nuisance to read. Marvunapp is usually the best source for sheer INFO, but tends to be overly-descriptive as well, and they won't allow you to copy text, which is how I usually do builds (copying text and pasting it into my word file, deleting stuff as I read it and put it into the bios.
I'd share my opinion on Beauty and the Beast, but I feel like that would be what it takes to finally get me run out of town with torches and pitchforks...
New rule: Regarding Beauty and the Beast, only glowing praise is allowed :).

But... how could ANYONE have a negative impression of that film? It's... it's mind-boggling!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

There seems to be a wiki for everything. Even a wiki for public domain superheroes.
Jabroniville

The Thin Man

Post by Jabroniville »

THE THIN MAN (Bruce Dickson)
Created By:
Unknown Writer & Klaus Nording
First Appearance: Mystic Comics #4 (June 1940)
Role: Stretchy Hero
Group Affiliations: The Invaders, The Liberty Legion
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8)
Deception 2 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+13)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Equipment 4 (Airplane), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
"Mutated Physiology"
Elongation 3 [3]
Immunity 10 (Falling Damage, Crushing Damage) [10]

"Elongation Tricks"
"Form Shapes" Morph (Shapes) 2 (Flaws: Limited to Simple Shapes) (Quirk: Retains Colours -1) (4) -- [7]
  • AE: "Flat Sheet" Flight 2 (Flaws: Gliding) (2)
  • AE: "Malleable Form" Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Precise) (6)
  • AE: "2-D Hands" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blade Hands +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Obsession (Hunting Nazis)- The Thin Man's bride and the people of Kalahia were slaughtered by the Nazis decades ago.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 10 (124)

-The Thin Man only appeared in a pair of Golden Age stories, but subsequent writers used him a tiny bit more- he was one of the first "stretching" superheroes, predating Plastic Man by more than a year. It was Roy Thomas (naturally) who used him more often, as a minor character in his Invaders tales. He was a scientist & explorer who found the lost civilization of "Kalahia", which had super-advanced technology that gave him eternal youth and stretchy powers. At the War's end, he discovers that the kingdom (and his bride) were slaughtered by Nazis, and so he becomes an obsessed Nazi Hunter- he cons Captain America into helping him seek out Agent Axis, at which point he strangles the villain (who bragged that he'd received immunity from prosecution by the Americans) and snaps his neck. A disgusted Cap brings him to the authorities on murder charges. He is later freed under orders to share Kalahian technology with American forces, but this is a ruse by the Red Skull- Thin Man later uses his knowledge to help the heroes anyways.

-The Thin Man is basically Mister Fantastic-Lite, but is a half-decent fighter with "Blade Hands" and some smarts.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Master Mind Excello! Dynamic Man! Golden Age Heroes!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

that isn't Nick Charles....
Jabroniville

Blue Blaze

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BLUE BLAZE (Spencer Keen)
Created By:
Harry Douglas
First Appearance: Mystic Comics #1 (March 1940)
Role: Failed Golden Age Character
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (126)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Speedster- Car), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Power-Lifting 1 (100 tons) [1]
"Bulletproof" Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 9) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Nazi Germany)
Power Loss (Blue Blaze)- Spencer requires regular applications of the "blue blaze" (held in a lighter) to maintain peak strength- he can diminish to as low as Strength 8 without it.

Total: Abilities: 94 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 5 (126)

-Spencer Keen was given tremendous powers when his chemist father invented a "blue blaze" that would kill its subjects, then resurrect them, more powerful than ever! When a tornado immediately hit his hometown and killed everyone in it (including his father), Keen was knocked into the formula, "killed", and then turned into a strongman. He had a few adventures against some odd opponents, but fell into a crevass fighting the evil Dr. Vortex, at which point the strip abruptly ended before a second part could be created. He has yet to reappear. Marvunapp reveals that the various creators working on his four stories could not seem to keep anything straight- new abilities, traits (like a mountaintop base with a super-fast car, or the fact that he returns to his grave nightly as "Cosmic Forces" move his body to the next place where he's needed) and more appear and disappear at random, and even his costume changes appearance with no rhyme or reason.

-His strength amplified "a thousand-fold", The Blue Blaze is one of the most powerful heroes of his era, held back only by inexperience. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spam

Post by Spam »

Is it just me, or does Captain America turning in Nazi hunters for killing Nazis seem... off somehow?
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm definitely enjoying the Golden Age hero write-ups. One thing, though: Should The Terror have ranks in Intimidation? As it is now, he's no more intimidating than the other heroes.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Mastermind Mind Excello is a fairly blatant copy of MLJ (now Archie Comics) Golden Age hero The Wizard, save for the Wizard sporting a Mandrake the Magician style cape and mustache, along with a white domino mask. A genius American agent with ESP and precognitive powers, along with a super-strength formula.

Miss Fury, AKA Black Fury, may have meant little as a Marvel property, but she was a groundbreaking newspaper/comics heroine, both in her semi-controversial nature for the period AND her creation by Tarpe Mills, the first female artist to create a successful female action character. Miss Fury ran in the strips for 13 years, and had her own comic for four, according to her Wiki. Her enchanted pelt enhanced her strength and reflexes, along with endowing a few vaguely defined "mystic" powers. She actually deserves more than a generic PL 7 GA hero template.

Red Raven strikes me as another failed attempts by Marvel to recreate the Namor the Submariner's success-even Stan Lee tried it once with the Jack Frost of the Golden Age.

Shouldn't the Thin Man have Immunity to Crushing Damage? He's already flat as a pancake after all-a very thin pancake, to quote from Talladega Nights. I think he was also the Liberty Legion's pilot, and had a somewhat souped-up air plane at his disposal.

Is it just me, or could Blue Blaze's origin be easily retconned into the same kind of experiment which granted Wonder Man and later Power Man/Atas their "ionic" based powers? Massive strength, impregnable skin, slow or nonexistent aging, awakening more powerful after long dormant periods-the Blaze is even vaguely energy based.

Great work, by the way. All my best.
Jabroniville

The Golden Age Human Torch

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HUMAN TORCH I (Jim Hammond)
Created By:
Carl Burgos
First Appearance: Marvel Comics #1 (Oct. 1939)
Role: Blaster/Energy Guy, Forgotten Golden Ager
Group Affiliations: The Invaders, The All-Winners Squad, The V-Battalion, Oracle Inc., The Heroes For Hire, The Avengers West Coast
PL 10 (199)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Police Officer) 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+7)
Expertise
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 4 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Fire) 2, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Android Physiology"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Suffocation, Drowning) [3]

"Horton Cells in Makeup"
Flame Aura 4 (Feats: Precise) [17]
"Fire-Assisted Flight" Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
"Fire Being" Immunity 6 (Fire Damage, Heat) [6]
"Super-Hot Bullet Shield" Immunity 5 (Bullets) (Extras: Sustained +0) [5]

"Cone Blast" Damage 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (31) -- [40]
  • Dynamic AE: "Line Blast" Damage 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Fireball" Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Power Blast" Fire Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic, Split, Penetrating 6) (28)
  • Dynamic AE: "Advanced Flame Aura" Flame Aura 6 (Total 10) (Feats: Dynamic) (25)
  • AE: "Nova Flame!" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Fire Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Fire Effects +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Flame Aura +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Advanced Flame Aura +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Nova Flame +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Android)- Jim is not human, and often has to deal with his strange origins, and he can be taken apart or resurrected by various means.
Power Loss- Jim's powers will not work in a vacuum, or under much pressure from water or other fire-retardant substances.
Responsibility (Firepower)- Hammond's power is extremely dangerous, and can go out of control if he does not excercise proper care.
Relationship (Toro)- Thomas Raymond was a Mutant who discovered his dangerous ability to set himself aflame- the Torch discovered him at a carnival and made him his partner.
Responsibility (Death-Prone)- NOBODY in comics- not Jean Grey, not anybody- is as prone to death or "being put into stasis" as Jim Hammond. He has been decommissioned something like SEVEN DIFFERENT TIMES, and has spent more time "dead" than alive.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 87 / Defenses: 16 (199)

-The original Human Torch is among the first super-heroes in all of comics, but never quite attained the level of many of his contemporaries. He was fairly popular in the old days, getting several covers and stuff like that, but "Timely Comics" in general was far behind DC, National and Fawcett, with ONLY their top three being any good, and only Captain America selling REALLY well. DC/National and their Justice Society had many more big names, especially once later writers like Roy Thomas made the crappy forgotten schlubs like Hourman (maybe had all of ten appearances total in his debut decade), Dr. Mid-Nite (ditto), etc. into great characters with terrific legacies in the modern JSA. Marvel really just had Cap, Namor & the Torch, with distant guys like The Whizzer (hee), Miss America, Blue Diamond, Captain Terror and others falling totally by the wayside as forgotten concepts. Marvel's guys had POTENTIAL, but there was no epic retro bring-back for most of them.

-Torch was part of comics' first-ever crossover battle, as the Torch & Sub-Mariner opposed one another in 1940 for an EPIC fight (all of New York was flooded, as shown in Marvels). They formed a truce, and later appeared devastating Nazi & Tojo forces on various covers (with the Torch having some especially gory ones- you don't often see people get their freaking ARMS MELTED OFF right on the cover, even during the Iron Age), and faltered in the post-war era, as Timely shifted to whatever was popular at the time (Martin Goodman was basically a bandwagon-jumper extraordinaire, as Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics states outright- if Westerns were popular, Timely produced FIFTY Western books at once! When Romance hit big, ALL Timely books became Romance!). A couple failed revivals led to him completing the WWII hero trifecta (Namor & Cap had already re-appeared), but unfortunately, Hammond died again following a brawl with the new Human Torch. However, it IS apparently a matter of record that Hitler did NOT in fact commit suicide at the end of World War II- the Torch & Toro invaded his private bunker when he was about to take the coward's way out, and when Hitler turned his gun on them, Jim Hammond BURNED HITLER ALIVE. That is AWESOME.

-It's interesting how Marvel's eventual-reputation as a hall of fallen heroes and freaks started even back THEN- Namor was a villain at first, and the Torch was thought-of as a freak and a monster right from his origin story, featuring him as an android set ablaze, setting off a panic in the streets of New York. THESE GUYS ended up being the central figures in Timely Comics, perhaps predicting the 1960s runs of the hideous Thing, argumentative Fantastic Four & Avengers, monstrous victimized Hulk, prejudice-facing X-Men and the "menace" Spider-Man. These were no square-jawed, proud, upstanding DC Heroes- these guys were dark, despised figures, feared by the very people they saved. There's an innate sense of REBELLION to Marvel's works, and it helped set them apart from DC in those early days.

-This just kept happening. A writer would bring him back (John Byrne did for Avengers West Coast), then he would die or go into stasis or something. Nothing ever really panned out. People just aren't interested in hearing about the comparatively-boring Jim Hammond compared to the other two Golden Agers or the current, flawed Torch. His best appearance is STILL that brilliant, freaky Golden Age intro in "Marvels", where he breaks out of the pavement holding his body and accidentally terrorizes the populace. They did the big "reveal" that neither he nor Vision were the same guy (which got sorta-retconned by Kurt Busiek in Avengers Forever- so now he & Vision are basically "clones"), and he got a minor team run as a hero out of it. But it just wasn't to be, as interest waned, and the character ended up being de-powered. I remember him being on Heroes for Hire, but that book only lasted a year or so as well. And in recent history, he died AGAIN, got a heroic send-off in Brubaker's Cap run, but then ANOTHER revival happened, and he AGAIN got controlled by a super-villain, before naturally resurrecting and turning good... AGAIN. So who knows what the future holds for what was once Marvel's third-biggest cash cow? His history's more messed-up than a barrel of Hawkmen sometimes.

-Yikes. Was NOT expecting Hammond to be so expensive. But then, he's got many of Johnny Storm's abilities, just at PL 10 levels, an Android body (like Vision, he's just Immune to a few things- not a robot with no Stamina), some skill, and great Toughness, given his artificial body. This Torch is powerful, but hasn't recieved the upgrades that later benefitted the FF's Torch. Still though, very few characters can break 190 points in cost, so he's definitely powerful, versatile and dangerous.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:22 pm that isn't Nick Charles....
Ahahaha. I see what you did there... ;)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spam wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 pm Is it just me, or does Captain America turning in Nazi hunters for killing Nazis seem... off somehow?
He was upset more because it was first-degree murder, and Cap was made an accessory to it. Even if he DID deserve it, Cap was never one to just exterminate people he didn't like if they weren't doing anything right that second.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 am Mastermind Mind Excello is a fairly blatant copy of MLJ (now Archie Comics) Golden Age hero The Wizard, save for the Wizard sporting a Mandrake the Magician style cape and mustache, along with a white domino mask. A genius American agent with ESP and precognitive powers, along with a super-strength formula.
Man, it's been so long since I statted The Wizard, I didn't think about him at all. Good catch.
Miss Fury, AKA Black Fury, may have meant little as a Marvel property, but she was a groundbreaking newspaper/comics heroine, both in her semi-controversial nature for the period AND her creation by Tarpe Mills, the first female artist to create a successful female action character. Miss Fury ran in the strips for 13 years, and had her own comic for four, according to her Wiki. Her enchanted pelt enhanced her strength and reflexes, along with endowing a few vaguely defined "mystic" powers. She actually deserves more than a generic PL 7 GA hero template.
THEN DO IT ON YOUR MISS FURY BUILD!!! *sobs uncontrollably*

But seriously, I've never heard of this character before, and didn't find that stuff in my research- it may have happened when she was being published by others, as I didn't "count" any of that stuff.
Shouldn't the Thin Man have Immunity to Crushing Damage? He's already flat as a pancake after all-a very thin pancake, to quote from Talladega Nights. I think he was also the Liberty Legion's pilot, and had a somewhat souped-up air plane at his disposal.
Hm, maybe. I don't think I ever made that a function of stretchy guys. I'll add the plane.
Is it just me, or could Blue Blaze's origin be easily retconned into the same kind of experiment which granted Wonder Man and later Power Man/Atas their "ionic" based powers? Massive strength, impregnable skin, slow or nonexistent aging, awakening more powerful after long dormant periods-the Blaze is even vaguely energy based.
Could be- we just need someone to work on another Blue Blaze story :).
Great work, by the way. All my best.
Thanks! These guys have proven much more popular than I expected- I was thinking I'd just have to spam all of them out because people wouldn't care as much.
Jabroniville

Toro

Post by Jabroniville »

TORO (Thomas Raymond)
Created By:
Carl Burgos
First Appearance: Human Torch Comics #2 (Fall 1940)
Role: Teen Sidekick, Flying Blaster
Group Affiliations: The Invaders, The Young Allies, The Kid Commandos, The All-Winners Squad, The Legion of the Unliving
PL 8 (144)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Circus Performer) 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 2 (+8)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Fire), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Flame Being"
Flame Aura 4 (Feats: Precise) [17]
"Fire-Assisted Flight" Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Fire Being" Immunity 6 (Fire Damage, Heat) [6]
"Super-Hot Bullet Shield" Immunity 5 (Bullets) (Extras: Sustained +0) [5]

"Power Blast" Fire Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (22) -- [32]
  • Dynamic AE: "Cone Blast" Damage 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Line Blast" Damage 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Fireball" Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Fire Control" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Fire- Use Volume instead of Mass) (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Advanced Flame Aura" Flame Aura 4 (Total 8) (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Fire Cone +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Fire Line +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Fireball +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Flame Aura +6 (+4-8 Damage, DC 19-23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Jim Hammond, The Human Torch)- Toro & the Torch are partners, and in fact the only "family figure" of sorts in the young man's life.
Relationship (Bucky & The Young Allies)- A rag-tag bunch of teenage heroes made their way across Nazi lines in World War II, and Bucky & Toro were especially close friends.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 74 / Defenses: 15 (144)

-Toro was created to fill the ranks of the Teen Sidekicks out there- since Marvel only had one major hero at the time, The Human Torch got chosen to have a sidekick. Toro is a young boy whose parents (old lab assistantes of Phineas Horton, the Torch's creator) were killed in a fiery wreck, at which point the boy's natural immunity to flame made him a carnival attraction. Meeting up with the Torch himself, Toro's dormant powers came into effect, and so the Torch made the natural decision to throw the young boy into life or death situations. Of the entire Invaders team, Toro was the only one to basically last through the War as a normal person- all the others went into suspended animation or amnesia or something- he got married, and came out of retirement dying while fighting The Mad Thinker alongside the new Human Torch and his allies in the Fantastic Four.

-He reappeared during that much-maligned Invaders/Avengers story, and Bucky resurrected him using a Cosmic Cube as a Plot Device. He shows up in The Torch Limited Series, but I've NEVER heard of it, so I'm not sure how good it was- it's your standard "Life has passed me by because I got resurrected and my wife remarried", and I'm not sure how they explain how he's not like a million years old (I mean, he was a kid during WWII, but survived to the FF's beginning?), aside from an observed similarity between Toro's cells and the android Torch's.

-Toro as a Sidekick is actually pretty elite for a WWII hero (and seems to have improved in the modern era, likely being a PL 9-10 type of guy), since he's done stuff like blowing through airplanes (even WWII-era ones), melting dude's arms and stuff- he's the most elite member of the Young Allies (including such luminaries as Bucky Barnes and Whitewash), and pretty expensive given his wide variety of powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.