Jab’s Builds! (Sword of Sodan! Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skaramine

Re: Jab's Builds! (Catman! Cheshire! Black Alice! Lady Vic! Bane!)

Post by Skaramine »

Groovy. Have a fun month off.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

The Force of July

Post by Jabroniville »

THE FORCE OF JULY:

-This insane band of Jobbers was created for the Batman and the Outsiders series. These five, four of whom are given some of the silliest costumes and names in history, were set against the Outsiders, because they represent UNCLE SAM in that more cynical of eras, which saw a lot of misguided patriotic heroes commit a lot of butt-head-ery. The team became the victims of the Suicide Squad in a mission that was set up by Amanda Waller, who wanted to pretend like an imposter had taken her place and sent the Squad on a dark path- Sparkler and Mayflower were killed as a direct result of the mission, making Waller look pretty bad. Lady Liberty and Silent Majority were slain on a later mission to stop Kobra. Major Victory, the only one with a half-decent costume, was killed by Eclipso in the villain's own early '90s series.

-A replacement group of characters called "Freedom's Ring" debuted in the Battle For Bludhaven series, post-Infinite Crisis, and featured a bunch of Replacement Characters for the originals, plus a bunch of deliberately-stupid characters (a Bigfoot who talked like a stereotypical Southerner; a guy named Gonzo the Mechanical Bastard, who I would bet MONEY was invented by Grant Morrison). 90% of them were killed, to the point where it was like a running gag.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lady Liberty

Post by Jabroniville »

LADY LIBERTY I (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Mike W. Barr
First Appearance: Batman and the Outsiders Annual #1 (1984)
Role: Goofy Character, Flying Blaster
Group Affiliations: The Force of July
PL 8 (79)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Attack (Torch) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Burning Torch" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2- Latent Telekinetics) [20]
Blast 8 (16)
Flight 5 (60 mph) (10)
-- (26 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Burning Torch +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (The U.S. Government)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 9 (79)

-Lady Liberty is ultra-goofy-looking- she's a brunette dressed like the Statue of Liberty, to the point of carrying around a torch. She's a Flying Blaster, but looks so dorky that I'd be shocked if this team was meant to be taken seriously. When two of her teammates are killed by the Suicide Squad, she nonetheless takes up the charge against Kobra's terrorist forces. Unfortunately, she sacrifices herself to help stop the villain from killing millions. Three more Lady Liberties debut in the Battle For Bludhaven series; two of whom die.

-A ridiculously simple Flying Blaster, Lady Liberty could really only use her powers with an Easily-Removable weapon.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Silent Majority

Post by Jabroniville »

SILENT MAJORITY I (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Mike W. Barr
Role: Goofy Character, Duplicator
PL 6 (109)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+4)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Creates Majority" Summon Duplicates 4 (Feats: Mental Link) (Extras: 16 Duplicates +8, Horde, Active) [49]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 9 (109)

-Silent Majority is a taciturn sort who's never seen speaking on-panel- like most Duplicators, he has no other powers and is kind of a mid-tier fighter otherwise. Majority defeats Nuklon in a battle against Infinity, Inc. after the team's debut, and survives their battle against the Suicide Squad, but he's killed by one of Kobra's agents later on in the story- the villain manages to kill every one of Majority's duplicates. A second "Majority" appears in modern times, but he's casually killed before anything can be revealed about him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Sparkler

Post by Jabroniville »

SPARKLER I (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Mike W. Barr
Role: Goofy Character, Blaster
PL 8 (85)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Attack (Light) 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

"Fireworks" Dazzle Visuals 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24) -- [25]
  • AE: Light Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Light Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Dazzle Visuals +8 Area (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Major Victory)- Sparkler is seen worshiping his team's leader.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 12 (85)

-Sparkler is a young Latino-American kid who appears WAY too young to be put into dangerous team battles like this. He defeated Windfall soon after his debut, but he was killed during a fight against the Suicide Squad. Loser villain Doctor Light was shown to be petrified of children (part of an ongoing thing since he lost to the Teen Titans), and fled the battle when Sparkler arrived. The teen chased after him, triggering Light's past experiences with the Titans, and he lashed out with a huge light beam, blasting straight through the kid and killing him.
Jabroniville

Mayflower

Post by Jabroniville »

MAYFLOWER I (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Mike W. Barr
Role: Goofy Character, Plant Controller
PL 8 (79)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+3)
Ranged Attack (Pollen) 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Plant Control"
"Mind Control Pollen" Mind Control 8 (Flaws: Ranged) (24) -- [27]
  • AE: "Vine Grab" Affliction 7 (Flaws: Source- Plants) (14)
  • AE: "Poison Powder" Weaken Stamina 7 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Ranged) (21)
  • AE: Growth 8 (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Limited to Plants) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Poison Powser +7 Area (+7 Ranged Weaken, DC 17)
Mind Control Pollen +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 11 (79)

-Mayflower is named for the fabled ship said to have brought in America's earliest European immigrants. I remember my mom telling me that her mother's family was said to have come over on the Mayflower, and being impressed... until I learned that this is what EVERYONE's family says, and if this was true in each case, then millions and millions of people in North America would be descended from the people who came over on a single boat a few hundred years ago.

-Mayflower is a Plant Controller, which is one of those power-sets that is much like Air Control or Water Control- it seems extremely under-represented among super-characters, until you search through the Jobbers, and discover dozens and dozens of characters who feature it as a gimmick. Mayflower, fittingly, dresses like a stereotypical Pilgrim, and speaks with an English accent. She is later mentioned to be the daughter of Rose Canton, the mother of Alan Scott's twin children Jade & Obsidian. During the Force of July's battle against the Suicide Squad, Mayflower is attacked from behind by Ravan, who garrotes her to death.

-Mayflower is a Plant Controller, but has a few unique tricks, such as poisonous pollen and stuff that can control minds.
Jabroniville

Major Victory

Post by Jabroniville »

MAJOR VICTORY I (William Vickers)
Created By:
Mike W. Barr
Role: Team Leader
PL 9 (108)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+3)
Insight 1 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Attack (Blasts) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [34]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
Blast 10 (20)
-- (42 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Powersuit +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Energy Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Arrogance)- Major Victory does not like taking orders from others.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 11 (108)

-Major Victory is the team leader, and the only one given an even half-decent costume. It looks incredibly similar to Skyman's uniform from Infinity, Inc., though. In his debut, he personally defeats the Outsiders Looker & Katana, quoting that "I can understand the Jap turning against us, but Looker-- she's an American!" He ends up being the team's sole survivor, as all four of his teammates die in a Suicide Squad arc. Resenting the Squad, he refuses to join them in order to report on Waller's activities to his superiors.

-After one more appearance, he is killed fighting Eclipso- one of many un-used superheroes that was chosen for this purpose. A replacement appeared in the Superman books for a while, but never amounted to much, and another shows up with the Freedom's Ring group- he manages to survive, unlike most of them.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: Black Alice

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 11:06 pm ImageImageImage

Such is my non-fetish for Goths that even Giantess Alice does nothing for me. She looks like she robbed a Hot Topic.

BLACK ALICE (Lori Zechlin)
Created By:
Gail Simone & Ed Benes
First Appearance: Birds of Prey #76 (Jan. 2005)
Role: Doom Patrol Fanbase-Having Character, Goth Chick
Group Affiliations: The Coven of Three, The Secret Six
PL 5-20 (275)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 6 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack

Powers:
"Usurp Any Magical Power" Variable 30 (Flaws: Uncontrolled- Any Magical Being In Proximity) [180]
Linked to
Affliction 20 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited to Magically-Powered Beings) [40]

"Detect Magic" Senses 10 (Magical Awareness- Ranged 7, Accurate 2) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Nullify -- (+20 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 30)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Father)- Lori's father has become a reclusive alcoholic following the death of Lori's mother.
relationship (Ragdoll)- Lori inexplicably refers to the asexual, mutilated Ragdoll as her "boyfriend".

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 230 / Defenses: 14 (275)

-One of those characters with an insant Doom Patrol Fanbase (ie. vocal fanbase that makes the ACTUAL fanbase seem larger than it is), Black Alice debuted as a snarky Goth-looking teenager in Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, and using Writer's Prerogative (seriously, everyone does this), she stuck her onto the Secret Six book near the end. Truth be told, she was alright- not nearly as annoying as I feared she would be when I saw teenage girls on CBR going on about her.

-Black Alice's mother committed suicide on the same night Alice (real name: Lori) discovered her super-power to copy all magical powers- she used these powers to punish the drug dealers who'd fed her mother's addiction. The Birds of Prey get involved and try to stop her from killing people, but she fights against them- she is ultimately defeated and sent to Doctor Fate, who promises to teach her for real. This one-off proved popular enough that she appeared in the magic-focused Day of Judgment (briefly holding off The Spectre), allies with the BoP a few more times, and then joins the Secret Six. She engages in a few missions with the team, acts weird, but generally kind of poorly handles her father's alcoholism and depression, leading her to leave the team once it's clear she's not ready for their kind of life.

-She briefly starred in the back-up feature of a book, co-starring with Traci Thirteen & Zachary Zatara, but hasn't appeared since the Nu52.

-Black Alice has the positively INSANE power to copycat the abilities of any Magically-powered being for miles around. Though she can't always PICK her targets, the fact that she can routinely mimic the likes of Doctor Fate, Doctor Occult or the friggin' SPECTRE make her an all-time powerful character. So much the better that she's little better than a Jumped-Up Nobody in terms of the rest of her stats. And of course she DE-POWERS these beings at the same time. Oh, and it'll afflict any magically-powered being at the same time, making it a Linked Affliction/Variable. I gave her the ability to detect Magic, otherwise I'd have to make the Affliction an Area Effect that would cover God knows how much space.

Oh how I love when fangirl goes nuts for her over at HC

Not.

As in not really.

really.
Ken

Re: The Force of July

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 4:48 am THE FORCE OF JULY:

-This insane band of Jobbers was created for the Batman and the Outsiders series. These five, four of whom are given some of the silliest costumes and names in history, were set against the Outsiders, because they represent UNCLE SAM in that more cynical of eras
They were introuduced in the 1984 Batman and the Outsiders Annual, and were backed by a man named Orwell. It was more than a little heavy handed. It was also back in the days when the Left supported free speech, and thought the Right didn't.

The funniest bit was when the "Mad Maple" (a frequent letterhack back in the day) wrote in to DC and suggested that their be a Canadian counterpart team: the Fist of July. It's how this American learned about the former Dominion Day.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 4:48 ama guy named Gonzo the Mechanical Bastard, who I would bet MONEY was invented by Grant Morrison). 90% of them were killed, to the point where it was like a running gag.
You'd win money. Though Morrison was inspired by an ancient Quality Comics character "Bozo the Iron Man" who appeared in Smash Comics. More on Bozo and Gonzo.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:06 pm -Major Victory is the team leader, and the only one given an even half-decent costume. It looks incredibly similar to Skyman's uniform from Infinity, Inc., though.
Actually Skyman's costume resembled Major Victory's, since MV debuted in '84 and Sylvester didn't become Skyman until '86.

And, in the Outsider and Suicide Squad appearances of Major Victory, the power was more him then the suit.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Jab's Builds! (Catman! Cheshire! Black Alice! Lady Vic! Bane!)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 9:36 pm Okay, so my vacation starts tomorrow, but I have a bunch of builds ready to go- hopefully I won't have any issues posting them.
See, when people go on vacation, they normally get away from the stuff they do at home. ;)

But post on, my brotha!
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Spidey Builds

Post by Jabroniville »

SPIDER-MAN BUILDS:

-You know how you can tell that Spider-Man is the greatest comic book character of all time? Because absolutely no character, in the HISTORY OF FICTION, has ever been through as much absolute CRAP as Peter Goddamn Parker, and still remained a vital, interesting character. Seriously- if Bruce Wayne woke up tomorrow with The Parker Luck, he'd jump out the damn window. You want stupid, franchise-ruining storylines? Spider-Man's had more than anybody, times TWO. The guy's had his entire supporting cast die or turn into super-people around him, lost his two biggest villains (Osborn & Doc Ock), gave two of them (Rhino & Kingpin) to other characters, turned out to be a Clone, been replaced TWICE, lost a baby, gave birth to himself, had about 15 Retcons added to him, and OH MY GOD THE CLONE SAGA. And his parents came back from the DEAD, and then TURNED OUT TO BE ROBOTS. Then Aunt May died and came back! A NORMAL WOMAN HAD THIS HAPPEN TO HER IN A STORY! Hank Pym still gets crapped on for slapping his wife while going insane, but Peter's not only DONE THAT TOO, but had so many STUPIDER things happen to him that it's just a forgotten drop in the bucket!

-And throughout all of this, he remains one of comics' finest characters. It's truly a bizarre story. The guy is the ultimate, probably greatest super-hero ever made. He's perfect in nearly every way if you want to tell great stories:

THE SPIDER-POWERS:
-Spidey's power-set is amazing in so many respects- its virtually designed for maximum enjoyment for the fans. He's powerful so you can get endless cool feats out of him, like the famous incident where he lifted a damn subway station off of his back to save his Aunt May. He can deliver a HELLACIOUS beating onto someone when he's pissed, avoid nearly any attack with great skill, and even do cool, varied stuff with his webbing. He's so awesome at fighting that he can take on an entire superteam and hold his own (he took down and got away from the X-Men during Secret Wars, and held his own with the entire mind-controlled FF in an AMAZING fight in Marvel Team-Up one time). And yet, he's not so powerful that he can't be beaten- pretty much all of Marvel Team-Up was him getting curbstomped and requiring the help of another hero. Heck, most of his Rogues Gallery is guys who are stronger, often noticeably so (Scorpion, Venom, Carnage, Doc Ock).

His webbing is versatile (though actually MORESO during the Silver Age, where he used it to make a hanglider in issue two), but not devastating- so many of his Rogues can just tear through it, so it's unreliable at-best. Never mind all the times he runs out of web fluid, or his web-shooters are damaged. He's durable enough to take punches from super-powered adversaries, but even a REGULAR HUMAN can K.O. him (Daredevil's done so, and any human can still HURT him). His agility is great, because he can realistically dodge just about anything (including gunfire), and also allows his fight scenes to look visually-dynamic and interesting with all the acrobatic poses. His "Spider-Sense" allows you to write around some plot contrivancies ("I sense danger! I'd better change into Spider-Man!" rather than the heroes just stumbling into whatever's troublesome that day).

He even has SUPER-HEALING, but nothing that can turn the plot on its head like Wolverine or the "from a single drop of blood" nonsense of Lobo or Deadpool- if Peter breaks his arm... his arm stays broken. For at least a day or two. But it WILL stitch itself together quickly, allowing you to write in injuries, yet also erase them from the plot for the sake of convenience! Peter's also a SCIENTIFIC GENIUS... but a semi-realistic, LIMITED one. The dude can't just Reed Richards himself an "Anti-Villain Gun" like nothing, nor can he outsmart his big villains like Osborn & Octavius. He's just smart enough to get by, and do some unique stuff. This also allows his Web-Shooters to either be genetic (making him more spider-like and offputting) OR technological (paying off his genius, since most Comic Book Geniuses have that as a major part of their power-schtick), and have both options actually make sense.

THE SUPPORTING CAST:
-His supporting cast is arguably the finest in all of comics, with ONLY Batman possibly scratching him with the Gordon/Bullock/Alfred connection (it's not even worth debating- there IS no third runner-up here). This guy's got the thoroughly unlikeable J. Jonah Jameson (who is sometimes respectable), the hot ex-party girl-to-hide-her-deep-seated-fears Mary-Jane, the symapthetic but strong Aunt May, the innocent Daddy's Girl who never made it Gwen Stacy, the stern but respectable Captain Stacy, the jerk who turned out to be okay Flash Thompson, the funny but tortured Harry Osborn, and MORE. This guy's had supporting cast members that fell by the wayside for lack of things to do (Joe Robertson, that Deb Whitman chick) that most heroes would KILL to have to round out their paltry "These are my future victims- I mean friends" casts.

THE ROGUES GALLERY:
-And you want ENEMIES? Look at this guy's Rogues Gallery! A-Listers like Norman Osborn, Dr. Octopus & Venom share the ranks with icons like Electro, The Sandman and Mysterio. They're further rounded out by solid villains like Kraven, Carnage, The Lizard, Hydro-Man and MORE. This guy's got so many freaking villains hanging off of him that he loaned them out to more hard-up heroes like Daredevil (The Kingpin) and The Hulk (The Rhino)! Hell, if you took #11 through #20 of Spider-Man's Best Rogues and gave them to another hero, that guy would almost instantly have the #3 or #4 best Rogues Gallery in comics!

Steve Ditko packed nearly every green & purple-clad villain he could think of into the first twenty issues of this book one after the other, and Stan gave them all just the right levels of pathos and/or evil to make them great. Some say Batman has the greatest Rogues in all of comics, but I find that way too many of them are just variations of the same "Crappy Fighter/Bad Past/Current Insanity" gimmick. Spidey has that (along with much more of an Animal theme), but with POWERS AND COOL COSTUMES. Nearly every Bat-villain needed to be updated to be less lame, but Spidey's guys STARTED threatening. To me they're the obvious #1 and #2- Batman's villains tend to be better characters with all the psychodrama and pathos to most of them, but Spidey's have more versatility in power and concept, so I prefer his- Batman has the occasional Killer Croc or Clayface, but Spidey's got two reptiles and a guy made of sand, PLUS a guy made of water, a dozen elementalists, a guy made of bees, Superheavyweight Powerhouses, Gimmicked Weapon Guys, etc. Batman's villains tend to be better CHARACTERS, but Spidey's make for more varied threats and are more fun to stat out.

-Spider-Man has so many good villains that when I comprised a list of as many as I could to set up these re-builds, I took a look at a Wikipedia list of baddies and realized that I FORGOT THE LIZARD. Curt Conners is such a good villain that he would be in the top ten of absolutely any superhero in comics, and the Top Five of anyone but Spidey, Batman or the X-Men, and yet Spidey has so many good villains I FORGOT HIM. Spidey has so many good villains that a 4th-tier one like Hydro-Man remains the single-most iconic Water Controller in comics. The Shocker, a fifth-tier Jobber, remains the single-most iconic Jobber in comics history! Two villains (Venom & Dr. Octopus) have been so successful that they've gotten their own solo books that lasted a long time as well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Character

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CHARACTER:
-He's arguably the most well-rounded character in all of comics, with the most facets. He captured Teen Angst in a way VERY few ever have (think- he never actually hooked up with those High School girls he had crushes on, unlike most fictional Outsider Teens today), complete with the colossal self-doubt. EVERY teenage character in comics since has ripped him off, and to their benefit. Young Peter Parker was an obsessive, introverted kid, nervously asking-out girls while being socially-unacceptable. And yet, he wasn't simply a victim. When the School Bully picked on him, he'd lash back with smartassed remarks, rather than letting it slide off his back like a more mature person would.

-Thus, Peter was able to live out a personality as Spider-Man that he couldn't while Mild-Mannered Peter Parker. Spidey was cool, confident and always in charge- Peter was always a bit of a wimp. Peter Parker may also be the most realistic super-hero ever in terms of personality, because he had a TON of character flaws. Spidey acted like a normal person in a way that most comic book characters didn't. Most comic book characters gain super-powers, and immediately their first reaction is to use it for the greater good- fight crime and help the downtrodden. Countless heroes act this way- Superman, Captain Marvel, The Fantastic Four, and others all did this. Peter Parker? First thing he does is go "I have super-powers? SWEET! Time to use this to make some money and get FAMOUS!" Peter acts like a normal human being when he gains his powers, and the first thing the universe does is kick him in the balls for it- he loses his Uncle all because he had to act like a shithead to the guy who was screwing him out of his payday (seriously, who WOULDN'T have just let the Burglar run if the promoter had just done that to them? Why should HE risk his neck?).

-In this manner, Peter becomes driven by something much more powerful than altruism or kind-heartedness. Peter is driven by GUILT. He knows what would happen if he gave up on his duties, because the very first time he decided to act selfishly and NOT get involved, he loses the person who means the most to him in the entire world. It's an extremely powerful message, and a strong metaphor, which is why "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" becomes such an oft-repeated mantra (originally it was just one of Stan's end-of-story Morals, but it soon shifts to become a saying of Uncle Ben). And now Peter has to be Spider-Man out of guilt and service to others, AND he has to earn money, because without it, his poor Aunt will starve and lose her home- the first 10-20 years of Spider-Man's existence is taken up in the frequent, desperate attempts to make some cash, and the only way he can do this is by taking freelance photographs of HIMSELF fighting dangerous super-villains.

-And here we come to the real Everyman nature of Parker again- he's much more "ordinary" than any of his contemporaries. Most heroes at the time were confident, muscular, square-jawed powerful types. They all had steady, often well-paying jobs. An absurd number were millionaires who inherited fortunes. They all had steady girlfriends. Cool cars. Sidekicks. Respect. These were people to idolize and go to bed wishing you could BE them. Peter Parker? Peter Parker was a scrawny loser; an egghead, a bookworm. He didn't have a great job or a car- he didn't have ANY MONEY AT ALL. His family struggled to make ends meet. He could barely talk to girls without stuttering, and not only did nobody idolize him, but bullies picked on him. And respect? Spider-Man, like almost all of the Marvel Heroes of his day, was a renegade. He was frequently wanted by the police, and his own BOSS hated his guts. Nearly every situation he got into ended up with him being worse off than before! To put it simply: Most heroes were who you wanted to be. Peter was closer to who you WERE.

-And this is why Spider-Man connects with people on such a deep level. Hard Luck Peter Parker WAS one of us. He WAS his audience, to an extent that no hero had ever been. Other guys had had it rough (Billy Batson, Bruce Wayne and just about everyone else were all orphans), but not in such a realistic, identifiable way. Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne & Steve Rogers are all decent characters in their own way, but none of them were ANYTHING like ordinary people- most people will never know anyone like them. This is why the TV shows & movies of Spidey nearly always seem to do well, as long as they hit the major aspects. This is why a guy with low-end superpowers ended up not only trumping The Fantastic Four in terms of popularity at Marvel (Stan & Jack's baby was THE big book of Marvel's Silver Age), but becoming one of the biggest comic book characters of all time.

SPIDER-MAN IN OTHER MEDIA:
-His 1960s cartoon series, while awful, is just as iconic to people as the 1960s Batman live-action show. That theme song ALONE will be memorable for an eternity. The cheap-ass animation and horrible voice-acting are memorable as hell, too. I haven't seen the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends show at all, but the '90s Spider-Man series was great for its time. Unfortunately, it hasn't really stood the test of time- the voice acting was often WAY over the top, and the animation, state-of-the-art at the time, now has the most dated CGI effects EVER. They got some good mileage out of the comics' characters without merely copying old comic storylines directly, and used almost every Spidey villain quite well (The Shocker & Rhino as simple Jobbers). Curious was the use of Hobgoblin before The Green Goblin, The Sandman never appearing, and the avoidance of Electro until near the end. The cartoon also turned Alistaire Smythe into a long-term recurring character, and used The Kingpin as its major recurring villain- Fisk was in damn near every episode it felt like. Also curious was the fact that their first season was called The Neogenic Nightmare, and listed every single episode as one of the parts, making it look like a 26-part story.

I never saw subsequent series except for the short-lived Spectacular Spider-man one by Greg Weisman: The stories seemed solid, and I liked the characterization, but the hideous art style was just unwatchable to me- giant cartoony eyes and goofy head-shapes were omnipresent. Legal rights prevented The Kingpin from being used, and so they used the next-best thing in Tombstone as the Recurring Villain. Like the '90s cartoon, they went with a Venom arc IMMEDIATELY, which I always find annoying. It seemed to get a lot of mileage out of throwing out random "Important Spider-Man Background Character" names every time somebody mentioned a random name.

The MOVIES were very popular. The first one was a huge hit, though was prone to some of the goofiest Comic Booky stuff of any Comic Book movie of the era- stuff like "We'll meet AGAIN, SPIDER-MAN! HAHAHAHAHAHA!" and more. But it did its job, and was enormously-successful- the Upside-Down Kiss was MASTERFUL storytelling, and instantly gave the movie an iconic sequence that people would never forget. Tobey Maguire was a solid, goofy Spidey, and Kirsten Dunst became a pretty big sex symbol playing Mary-Jane. Time would not be kind to either actor, however- Tobey got fat in the off-season and disappeared, and Dunst was in some MAJOR bombs, and people started ignoring her tremendous boobs and focusing on her weird teeth, suddenly turning her into a "Man Hands" situation.

Spider-Man 2 is generally-considered the best of all the films- it has some phenomenal action sequences, great acting from all of the leads, a kick-ass villain, and great scenes throughout. However, a sequel wouldn't do so well- Sam Raimi had THREE VILLAINS forced on him by the studio, resulting in the classic "Comic Book Sequel Mess" involving too many bad guys demanding story-time. The infamous "Dark Costume Peter" sequence showed him disco-dancing with an emo haircut to showcase his "Dark Side", and it pretty much got crapped on by everyone who watched it. Topher Grace was a decent (if skinny) Eddie Brock, but using his natural voice as Venom was silly, and adding The Sandman and a Retcon into things didn't help. The movie made money, but was considered pretty weak.

A Reboot took place LUDICROUSLY-quickly, and seemingly only to screw over Raimi (Fox no longer wanted him in charge of the franchise) and Marvel (who wanted the rights back). However, The Amazing Spider-Man was a pretty good movie, with some GREAT acting by Andrew Garfield, who immediately one-upped Maguire in people's eyes. Gwen Stacy was awesome too, and the movie succeeded on a lot of levels. Unfortunately, the sequel made THE SAME FREAKING MISTAKE AS THE THIRD MOVIE, shoving in way too many bad guys, and featured an idiotic Electro character (Dillon isn't a very well-developed character, but his motivation is ridiculous in this one- based around an inferiority complex and a weird misunderstanding involve Spidey being his "Buddy"?). We'll see what comes of the series, especially as Disney's own Marvel series appears ready to continuously produce MONSTROUS hits of high-calibre.
RUSCHE

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cheshire! Black Alice! Lady Vic! Bane! The Force of July!)

Post by RUSCHE »

I might have some pepper in my eye. Sniff.. That is by far the absolute best description of Peter Parker and WHY he is the greatest hero in my eyes. Your insight on his level is guilt as THE motivation for all he does is spot on. To me Peter Parker and Ben Grimm are my favorite heroes cut their personalities, motivations and all around goodness, Not their powers. Thanks for this amazing intro to Peter Parker. (No pun intended) 😀
Jabroniville

Spider-Man

Post by Jabroniville »

SPIDER-MAN (Peter Parker)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962)
Role: The Symbol of Marvel Comics, Taunting Hero, THE Everyman Character, Fate's Butt-Monkey
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The New Fantastic Four
PL 11 (235)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 8/10
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+12, +20 Spider-Sense)
Athletics 7 (+15)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+13)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Photography) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+15)
Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+8)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 6 (+10)
Perception 3 (+7, +15 Spider-Sense)
Ranged Combat (Webbing) 6 (+14)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+6)
Technology 8 (+14)

Advantages: 
Beginner's Luck, Daze (Deception), Diehard, Equipment (Bitchin' Camera, Spider-Tracers, Spider-Flashlight), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Webbing, Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand (Removes Damage for 1 Round with HP Spent), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Taunt

Powers:
"Proportionate Strength of a Spider" 
Power Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Does Whatever a Spider Can"
Movement 4 (Wall-Crawling 2, Sure-Footed, Safe Fall) [8]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Spider-Sense- Warns of Danger & Boosts Agility"
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Skills 14: Acrobatics 6 (+20), Perception 7 (+14) [7]
Enhanced Advantages 8: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Second Chance (Falling), Ultimate Acrobatics Skill, Uncanny Dodge [8]
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
Enhanced Dodge 3 [3]
Enhanced Parry 4 [4]

"Web-Shooters" (Flaws: Removable) [27]
"Webbing" Snare 8 (Feats: Split, Tether, Dynamic) (27) -- (33 points)
  • Dynamic AE: "Here's Web In Your Eye!" Dazzle Visuals 7 (Resisted By Dodge & Strength) (Feats: Dynamic) (Inaccurate -1) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: "Webline & Web-Net" Movement 2 (Swinging, Safe Fall) (Extras: Safe Fall is Affects Others Only +0) (Feats: Dynamic) (5)
  • AE: "Web Spray" Snare 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (18)
  • AE: "Stuff Made of Webbing" Create 6 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent +0) (13)
Equipment:
Spider-Tracers (Detect Radio, Ranged, Tracking) (3)
Fancy-Ass Camera (1)
Spider-Flashlight (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spider-Web +14 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Web Spray +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Web in the Eyes +12 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +8 (+14 Spider-Sense)

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12, +15 Spider-Sense, DC 25), Parry +10 (+14 Spider-Sense, DC 24), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +12

Complications:
Responsibility (Human Life)- Losing his Uncle Ben made Peter realize that all human life is sacred. Even if faced with a situation that all but demands someone be put down, Peter can't do it. Even if they murder hundreds of people, or even the love of his life.
Responsibility (With Great Power Must Come Great Responsibility)
Motivation (Guilt)- Peter's selfish decision cost him the most important man in his life- his Uncle Ben. Another failure saw him lose the love of his life- Gwen Stacy. Peter will never stop trying to make amends for these losses.
Relationship (Mary-Jane Watson-Parker)- Peter's wife is long-suffering due to his dangerous job, but they make do the best they can. Peter worships his wife, and will do anything to protect her. Even when Mephisto steals their marriage.
Relationship (May Parker)- Peter's aunt has raised him since he was a young boy, and he is incredibly devoted to her (especially since Uncle Ben died). Her frequently failing health leads him to spectacular feats of power. If she is sick or needs medicine, then I don't care if you're a #@%*! Herald of Galactus, God of Asgard, or super-powered Mystic Sorceror- get the hell out of his way.
Relationship (Other Women)- Peter's had crushes on or relationships with Liz Allan, Betty Brant, Gwen Stacy, Carlie Cooper, Felicia Hardy and more.
---
Enemy (Everyone)- Peter has amassed a truly horrifying amount of enemies over the years, to the point where his Rogues Gallery is easily as large as those belonging to entire teams. His worst enemies include Dr. Octopus, Electro, Venom, Carnage and more. He has fought every supervillain in existence at least once.
Enemy (Norman Osborn)- Norman has a sick obsession with Parker, seeing him almost as a son, while also trying to either kill him, ruin his life, or get him to become as evil and twisted as the Green Goblin himself.
Enemy (The Symbiote)- Spider-Man rejected an Alien Symbiote years ago, and it has hunted him down ever since, both with Eddie Brock and Mac Gargan.
---
Reputation (Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?)- Peter is mistrusted at best by the general public, no matter how many people he has saved. The police frequently chase him, and no matter how many freaking times a super-villain disguises themself as Spider-Man and commits a crime, the people of New York will automatically believe the lies and chase him. The freakin' Rhino could be in that costume and they would buy it.
Rivalry (J. Jonah Jameson)- Peter's boss, the volatile newspaperman, has a major mad-on for Spidey over all other superhumans, and relentlessly hunts for signs he's gone bad. Aside from this, JJJ is a classic "no-nonsense" newsman.
Power Loss- If Peter gets the flu or a cold, or if something weird is going on genetically, he will lose his powers. Still in shape, he is reduced to Strength 2, Stamina 3 and Agility 4 (6 with Spider-Sense).
Power Loss (Web-Shooters)- Spider-Man runs out of Web Fluid whenever the GM demands it. Always at the worst possible time. Especially if he makes a super-big Web thing. Spidey's GM is an asshole.
---
Responsibility (That Parker Luck)- Spidey has tons of powers and skills, right? Well, too bad, Spidey- you've got the flu, your powers are on the fritz, and you can barely see straight. Oh yeah, and both Kraven and the new Vulture have decided to team up to finish you off. Good luck.
Weakness (Newbie Villains)- Spider-Man has bad luck fighting super-villains making their debut. Though he can beat guys like The Scorpion & The Vulture while standing on his head, a brand-new rookie like Menace or The Shocker can beat him in almost every single fight before they are downgraded over the years. All new villains fighting Spider-Man will be treated as if they are one full Power Level higher than normal (or Spidey as one PL lower, whichever). Assuming this rule is already Houseruled for everybody, then Spidey will feel it twice as hard.
Secret Identity- Peter obsesses over keeping his identity a secret, because of people like Osborn & Venom, who know, and torture him for it.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 70--35 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 67 / Defenses: 15 (235)

-This to me represents what Peter "Spider-Man" Parker fights and behaves like. It isn't min/maxed or perfectly fit with PL 11 by any means- he's only full-on PL 11 in terms of his Dodge/Toughness trade-off and his Web-Shooters! Otherwise, he's PL 10.5 with Unarmed Combat, Parry, and Will/Fortitude. But that sounds about right to me- he's never been a dominant physical fighter (though he's MUCH better now that he used to be). He's good, but +13 to-hit is as good as he needs to be- he's no Daredevil or Cap, after all, and he's strong enough to make up the difference. And yes, he's slightly better at Dodging than Parrying- martial artists can hit him often enough (well, +14 Parry, but still...), but twenty goons with Automatic Weapons are going to miss, and Electro can't score one to save his life sometimes. 

-Spidey is strong, but not +9 Damage-worthy in my opinion- he's Strength 8 with Power Lifting (to 12 tons, not that I ever see him bench a car, well, EVER). He's tough, but only to +7 (it's strongly implied that being shot even once is highly-dangerous, and he notably can't eat a lot of punishment, even from normal people). He's extremely Agile, a really good fighter (specializing in Unarmed, of course- he pretty much NEVER picks up a weapon or even an improvised club), smart but not TOO smart (+15 at Science is better than most background guys get, and Peter's more generalized anyways- he's a good step behind Reed, Pym or Stark), and fairly Aware. His Skills are quite extensive, covering the gamut since he's a solo super-hero and as I've noted, those guys tend to need a WIDE spread because they can't afford to specialize like team guys can. 

-He's a phenomenal fighter by virtue of his Advantages, which are tailor-made around defense, and aided by his Spider-Sense. With all sorts of Defense-related things, you're basically just NOT going to tag the guy unless he really biffs a roll, his Initiative is crazy good, and his Acrobatics is absolutely out of this world (one higher than Nightcrawler, and two higher than Nightwing). Then there's his Powers- his Web-Shooters are more or less simple Snares that are more accurate than sticky (almost all of his enemies have SOME way around them, usually with strength or cutting weapons) with the 2nd Edition Tether Feat thrown on, but he can also Blind with them, or create web objects like temporary shields, hang-gliders or big nets (this could easily be an Alt-Effect, but screw it), or throw out a semi-wide Spray good for snatching Mooks. Note that his Spider-Sense is a huge portion of his tactics- if it's disabled somehow (Green Goblin had a gas just for this), he is HEAVILY hampered, losing a dozen Advantages and most of his Dodge & Parry.

-In addition to all this, Peter can use some Alt-Effects by spending what should be TONS of Hero Points (look at his freaking Complication list! No here in comics could even SCRATCH that!)- his Webs can be sprayed out in a large Burst or Cone at the risk of wiping out a whole cartridge, and he's been known to accidentally detect a villain in proximity who isn't attacking him with his Spider-Sense, or even find bad guys just by swinging around until it goes off. All this adds up to a VERY expensive hero, but consider what modern heroes cost in 3rd Edition/DCA- if Nightwing can cost over 200 points, then you bet your ass Spider-Man should as well. He's strong, tough, smart, skilled and nearly impossible to hit. The guy's one of the best, but not overly powerful (like I said, his Dodge is the only thing fully PL 11-ish about him).

-Note a few Complications: His Web Fluid runs out whenever required for the story, he loses his powers a lot, he's incredibly unlucky (whole groups of villains coincidentally try to fight him at once, especially when he's sick and weakened), and every time he fights a rookie villain, he gets the living snot kicked out of him for several fights before they get "Downgraded" to "Recurring Jobber". Just look at the frickin' Shocker- major tough threat in his first appearance, and now he's a joke villain.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Spidey (Rookie)

Post by Jabroniville »

SPIDER-MAN (Peter Parker)- Rookie Year- 1960s
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962)
Role: The Symbol of Marvel Comics, Taunting Hero, THE Everyman Character, Fate's Butt-Monkey
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The New Fantastic Four
PL 7 (156)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 6/7
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+9, +14 Spider-Sense)
Athletics 4 (+12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Photography) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 1 (+3, +8 Spider-Sense)
Ranged Combat (Webbing) 2 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 3 (+5)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages: 
Equipment (Bitchin' Camera, Spider-Tracers, Spider-Flashlight), Improved Disarm, Inventor, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Proportionate Strength of a Spider" 
Power Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Does Whatever a Spider Can"
Movement 4 (Wall-Crawling 2, Sure-Footed, Safe Fall) [8]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Spider-Sense- Warns of Danger & Boosts Agility"
Enhanced Agility 1 [2]
Enhanced Skills 10: Acrobatics 5 (+14), Perception 5 (+8) [5]
Enhanced Advantages 4: Agile Feint, Evasion, Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge [4]
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
Enhanced Parry 1 [1]

"Web-Shooters" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
"Webbing" Snare 6 (Feats: Split, Tether, Dynamic) (21) -- (27 points)
  • Dynamic AE: "Here's Web In Your Eye!" Dazzle Visuals 5 (Resisted By Dodge & Strength) (Feats: Dynamic) (Inaccurate -1) (10)
  • Dynamic AE: "Webline & Web-Net" Movement 2 (Swinging, Safe Fall) (Extras: Safe Fall is Affects Others Only +0) (Feats: Dynamic) (5)
  • AE: "Web Spray" Snare 4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (10)
  • AE: "Stuff Made of Webbing" Create 5 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent +0) (11)
Equipment:
Spider-Tracers (Detect Radio, Ranged, Tracking) (3)
Fancy-Ass Camera (1)
Spider-Flashlight (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spider-Web +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Web Spray +4 Area (+4 Affliction, DC 14)
Web in the Eyes +6 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +6 (+7 Spider-Sense)

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Human Life)- Losing his Uncle Ben made Peter realize that all human life is sacred. Even if faced with a situation that all but demands someone be put down, Peter can't do it. Even if they murder hundreds of people, or even the love of his life.
Responsibility (With Great Power Must Come Great Responsibility)
Motivation (Guilt)- Peter's selfish decision cost him the most important man in his life- his Uncle Ben. Another failure saw him lose the love of his life- Gwen Stacy. Peter will never stop trying to make amends for these losses.
Relationship (Gwen Stacy)- Gwen is the love of Peter's life, and he is devoted to keeping her safe- the dying wish of his close friend Captain George Stacy (oof...).
Relationship (May Parker)- Peter's aunt has raised him since he was a young boy, and he is incredibly devoted to her (especially since Uncle Ben died). Her frequently failing health leads him to spectacular feats of power. If she is sick or needs medicine, then I don't care if you're a #@%*! Herald of Galactus, God of Asgard, or super-powered Mystic Sorceror- get the hell out of his way.
Relationship (Other Women)- Peter's had crushes on or relationships with Liz Allan, Betty Brant, Gwen Stacy, Mary-Jane Watson and more.
---
Enemy (Everyone)- Peter has amassed a truly horrifying amount of enemies over the years, to the point where his Rogues Gallery is easily as large as those belonging to entire teams. His worst enemies include Dr. Octopus, Electro, Venom, Carnage and more. He has fought every supervillain in existence at least once.
Enemy (Norman Osborn)- Norman has a sick obsession with Parker, seeing him almost as a son, while also trying to either kill him, ruin his life, or get him to become as evil and twisted as the Green Goblin himself.
Enemy (The Symbiote)- Spider-Man rejected an Alien Symbiote years ago, and it has hunted him down ever since, both with Eddie Brock and Mac Gargan.
---
Reputation (Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?)- Peter is mistrusted at best by the general public, no matter how many people he has saved. The police frequently chase him, and no matter how many freaking times a super-villain disguises themself as Spider-Man and commits a crime, the people of New York will automatically believe the lies and chase him. The freakin' Rhino could be in that costume and they would buy it.
Rivalry (J. Jonah Jameson)- Peter's boss, the volatile newspaperman, has a major mad-on for Spidey over all other superhumans, and relentlessly hunts for signs he's gone bad. Aside from this, JJJ is a classic "no-nonsense" newsman.
Power Loss- If Peter gets the flu or a cold, or if something weird is going on genetically, he will lose his powers. Still in shape, he is reduced to Strength 2, Stamina 3 and Agility 4 (6 with Spider-Sense).
Power Loss (Web-Shooters)- Spider-Man runs out of Web Fluid whenever the GM demands it. Always at the worst possible time. Especially if he makes a super-big Web thing. Spidey's GM is an asshole.
---
Responsibility (That Parker Luck)- Spidey has tons of powers and skills, right? Well, too bad, Spidey- you've got the flu, your powers are on the fritz, and you can barely see straight. Oh yeah, and both Kraven and the new Vulture have decided to team up to finish you off. Good luck.
Weakness (Newbie Villains)- Spider-Man has bad luck fighting super-villains making their debut. Though he can beat guys like The Scorpion & The Vulture while standing on his head, a brand-new rookie like Menace or The Shocker can beat him in almost every single fight before they are downgraded over the years. All new villains fighting Spider-Man will be treated as if they are one full Power Level higher than normal (or Spidey as one PL lower, whichever). Assuming this rule is already Houseruled for everybody, then Spidey will feel it twice as hard.
Secret Identity- Peter obsesses over keeping his identity a secret, because of people like Osborn & Venom, who know, and torture him for it.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 5 (156)

-Spider-Man in the 1960s was of course the defining era for the guy, since Stan Lee worked on him for pretty much the entirety of it. This was the foundation of the character, and produced nearly every single one of his memorable opponents, in a shockingly-great set of issues that basically introduced a new Major Recurring Villain every story. Steve Ditko as the original artist was a major force, coming up with almost all of them himself (he REALLY liked green on his bad guys)- he also helped make Spidey an outcast with his dark, creepy-looking figures. This wasn't your standard square-jawed, broad-chested hero- Peter Parker was scrawny and gawky. When Steve quit Marvel, John Romita took over, and immediately changed the course of the book- suddenly Teen Romance became a major factor, and Peter left High School (VERY early in the book's run, given how much modern audiences associate him with being a High School Student), moving on to College. We got a whole new Supporting Cast (Liz Allan & Betty Brant were shoved to the wayside quickly) with Harry Osborn & Gwen Stacy being major forces, alongside Mary-Jane Watson. Romita would also help add some new villains, including The Shocker, The Rhino and most importantly, The Kingpin of Crime.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.