Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cheshire! Black Alice! Lady Vic! Bane! The Force of July!)

Post by Ares »

Heh, it's always nice to see another Spider-Man fan, as Jab talks about the guy with a passion rarely seen outside discussing a potential fourway between himself, Kitty Pryde, Cyclone and Atom Smasher.

He's spot on in his analysis tho, Spider-Man is definitely the greatest superhero Marvel Comics has ever created, and a top contender for greatest superhero of all time, rivaled only by folks like Superman and Batman (and in my humble opinion, Capt. Marvel).

I think the overall unifying theme of what helped Peter's popularity is the concept of humanity. Peter Parker was a fallible human being who learned a hard lesson and become a genuinely good one afterwards. He was powerful, but not obscenely so, enough that people would want to be him but not enough that pretty much every single one of his foes posed a danger to him. He has one of the most diverse and well done supporting casts in comics, along with one of the best rogue's galleries. It's no wonder Marvel and DC attempt to "Spider-Man" another everyman superhero every 5 years or so, with only the similarly insect/arachnid themed Jaime Reyes and Miles Morales succeeding.

His costume is also one of the best designed superhero costumes ever, and he's one of the few guys who has had more than one notable outfit and they both looked amazing. The red and blue outfit will always be my favorite, but I can't deny the black costume just looks kickass.

Jab's also right about his power-level pretty much being perfect for a mid-level superhero. He's strong, tough and agile, enough to be above the unpowered humans, but not powerful enough to overshadow other superheroes. Pretty much the only power he's "the best" at is his agility, as he's more or less the most agile character in comics, followed by guys like Daredevil and Nightwing. It's one thing that made Marvel Team-Up so much fun. You could basically team Spider-Man up with anyone and he could contribute to the adventure. With guys like Capt. America, Iron Fist or Daredevil, he'd be the less skilled but more scientifically gifted and physically powerful hero. With guys like the Thing or Thor, he's the less powerful but more intelligent guy to pull out the win while the powerhouse deals with the main threat. And for the 'average' powered hero, his abilities would tend to compliment anyone and make for a fun adventure.

The webbing was also a very unique and genius ability, versatile and fun. I mean, flying would always be among my top powers, but SWINGING just has a visceral appeal to it. The movies did a good job of showing how much fun that kind of traveling would be.

I will say that we have seen Spider-Man literally wield a truck or car like a club before, and he does weaponize objects. It's just that Peter is very conscious about his strength, and never uses those tactics against anyone around or below his own strength level. He usually only breaks out the larger items when facing giant opponents, robots or guys like the Hulk. Or in one case, when he was really mad at the assassin who shot Aunt May, wherein Peter grabbed the nearest car he could find, and threw it three stories up and across a street at said hitman.

But yeah, overall Spider-Man is one of the best heroes around, and one of my favorites.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I also love that "New Villain Stink" is basically a hardwired complication of Peter's.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 5:31 pm Heh, it's always nice to see another Spider-Man fan, as Jab talks about the guy with a passion rarely seen outside discussing a potential fourway between himself, Kitty Pryde, Cyclone and Atom Smasher.

He's spot on in his analysis tho, Spider-Man is definitely the greatest superhero Marvel Comics has ever created, and a top contender for greatest superhero of all time, rivaled only by folks like Superman and Batman (and in my humble opinion, Capt. Marvel).

I think the overall unifying theme of what helped Peter's popularity is the concept of humanity. Peter Parker was a fallible human being who learned a hard lesson and become a genuinely good one afterwards. He was powerful, but not obscenely so, enough that people would want to be him but not enough that pretty much every single one of his foes posed a danger to him. He has one of the most diverse and well done supporting casts in comics, along with one of the best rogue's galleries. It's no wonder Marvel and DC attempt to "Spider-Man" another everyman superhero every 5 years or so, with only the similarly insect/arachnid themed Jaime Reyes and Miles Morales succeeding.

His costume is also one of the best designed superhero costumes ever, and he's one of the few guys who has had more than one notable outfit and they both looked amazing. The red and blue outfit will always be my favorite, but I can't deny the black costume just looks kickass.

Jab's also right about his power-level pretty much being perfect for a mid-level superhero. He's strong, tough and agile, enough to be above the unpowered humans, but not powerful enough to overshadow other superheroes. Pretty much the only power he's "the best" at is his agility, as he's more or less the most agile character in comics, followed by guys like Daredevil and Nightwing. It's one thing that made Marvel Team-Up so much fun. You could basically team Spider-Man up with anyone and he could contribute to the adventure. With guys like Capt. America, Iron Fist or Daredevil, he'd be the less skilled but more scientifically gifted and physically powerful hero. With guys like the Thing or Thor, he's the less powerful but more intelligent guy to pull out the win while the powerhouse deals with the main threat. And for the 'average' powered hero, his abilities would tend to compliment anyone and make for a fun adventure.

The webbing was also a very unique and genius ability, versatile and fun. I mean, flying would always be among my top powers, but SWINGING just has a visceral appeal to it. The movies did a good job of showing how much fun that kind of traveling would be.

I will say that we have seen Spider-Man literally wield a truck or car like a club before, and he does weaponize objects. It's just that Peter is very conscious about his strength, and never uses those tactics against anyone around or below his own strength level. He usually only breaks out the larger items when facing giant opponents, robots or guys like the Hulk. Or in one case, when he was really mad at the assassin who shot Aunt May, wherein Peter grabbed the nearest car he could find, and threw it three stories up and across a street at said hitman.

But yeah, overall Spider-Man is one of the best heroes around, and one of my favorites.
My first exposure to Spider-Man was whe I was a patient at Mary Free Bed hospital in Michigan. I was about 3 1/2 And had just had my foot amputation. The nurse knew I was scared so she gave me a sucker and a Spider-Man comic. I was hooked after that. At that age it was the images but as I grew older and started to read them I saw that t Peters lif was filled with trouble I could relate to. Even when he did the right thing Faye slapped him around , yet he never quit. EVER. To say he had a impact on me is a understatement. That was in 1974. I have enjoyed his ups and downs immensely. Now bring back Ben Grimm!!!! @$%^^$$....
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Theres a reason I did my Spider-Man build with the comment "Define Iconic"
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

My uncles started buying me Spider-man comics when I was pretty young (recruiting early is the best tactic ;)) and since then he's been my favorite superhero. Jab's pretty much hit upon all the reasons he's a great hero and a great character.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Post by Ken »

I loved the '67 Spider-Man cartoon. I think Spider-Man's a great character. I used to enjoy his strip in the newspaper when the paper's around here carried it.

I always had a problem with his comic though: too much reader identification for it to be effective escapism.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Spidey ('70s)

Post by Jabroniville »

SPIDER-MAN (Peter Parker)- Mid-1970s Version
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962)
Role: The Symbol of Marvel Comics, Taunting Hero, THE Everyman Character, Fate's Butt-Monkey
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The New Fantastic Four
PL 9 (190)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 7/9
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+11, +17 Spider-Sense)
Athletics 4 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Photography) 3 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Expertise (Streetwise) 1 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 1 (+4, +11 Spider-Sense)
Ranged Combat (Webbing) 3 (+9)
Sleight of Hand 3 (+5)
Technology 6 (+11)

Advantages: 
Diehard, Equipment (Bitchin' Camera, Spider-Tracers, Spider-Flashlight), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Webbing), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown, Taunt

Powers:
"Proportionate Strength of a Spider" 
Power Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Does Whatever a Spider Can"
Movement 4 (Wall-Crawling 2, Sure-Footed, Safe Fall) [8]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Spider-Sense- Warns of Danger & Boosts Agility"
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Skills 14: Acrobatics 6 (+17), Perception 7 (+11) [7]
Enhanced Advantages 8: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Second Chance (Falling), Ultimate Acrobatics Skill, Uncanny Dodge [8]
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
Enhanced Dodge 1 [1]
Enhanced Parry 2 [2]

"Web-Shooters" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
"Webbing" Snare 7 (Feats: Split, Tether, Dynamic) (24) -- (30 points)
  • Dynamic AE: "Here's Web In Your Eye!" Dazzle Visuals 7 (Resisted By Dodge & Strength) (Feats: Dynamic) (Inaccurate -1) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: "Webline & Web-Net" Movement 2 (Swinging, Safe Fall) (Extras: Safe Fall is Affects Others Only +0) (Feats: Dynamic) (5)
  • AE: "Web Spray" Snare 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (18)
  • AE: "Stuff Made of Webbing" Create 6 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent +0) (13)
Equipment:
Spider-Tracers (Detect Radio, Ranged, Tracking) (3)
Fancy-Ass Camera (1)
Spider-Flashlight (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spider-Web +10 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Web Spray +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Web in the Eyes +6 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +7 (+13 Spider-Sense)

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+10 Spider-Sense, DC 20), Parry +7 (+9 Spider-Sense, DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +10

Complications:
Responsibility (Human Life)- Losing his Uncle Ben made Peter realize that all human life is sacred. Even if faced with a situation that all but demands someone be put down, Peter can't do it. Even if they murder hundreds of people, or even the love of his life.
Responsibility (With Great Power Must Come Great Responsibility)
Motivation (Guilt)- Peter's selfish decision cost him the most important man in his life- his Uncle Ben. Another failure saw him lose the love of his life- Gwen Stacy. Peter will never stop trying to make amends for these losses.
Relationship (Gwen Stacy)- Gwen is the love of Peter's life, and he is devoted to keeping her safe- the dying wish of his close friend Captain George Stacy (oof...).
Relationship (May Parker)- Peter's aunt has raised him since he was a young boy, and he is incredibly devoted to her (especially since Uncle Ben died). Her frequently failing health leads him to spectacular feats of power. If she is sick or needs medicine, then I don't care if you're a #@%*! Herald of Galactus, God of Asgard, or super-powered Mystic Sorceror- get the hell out of his way.
Relationship (Other Women)- Peter's had crushes on or relationships with Liz Allan, Betty Brant, Gwen Stacy, Mary-Jane Watson and more.
---
Enemy (Everyone)- Peter has amassed a truly horrifying amount of enemies over the years, to the point where his Rogues Gallery is easily as large as those belonging to entire teams. His worst enemies include Dr. Octopus, Electro, Venom, Carnage and more. He has fought every supervillain in existence at least once.
Enemy (Norman Osborn)- Norman has a sick obsession with Parker, seeing him almost as a son, while also trying to either kill him, ruin his life, or get him to become as evil and twisted as the Green Goblin himself.
Enemy (The Symbiote)- Spider-Man rejected an Alien Symbiote years ago, and it has hunted him down ever since, both with Eddie Brock and Mac Gargan.
---
Reputation (Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?)- Peter is mistrusted at best by the general public, no matter how many people he has saved. The police frequently chase him, and no matter how many freaking times a super-villain disguises themself as Spider-Man and commits a crime, the people of New York will automatically believe the lies and chase him. The freakin' Rhino could be in that costume and they would buy it.
Rivalry (J. Jonah Jameson)- Peter's boss, the volatile newspaperman, has a major mad-on for Spidey over all other superhumans, and relentlessly hunts for signs he's gone bad. Aside from this, JJJ is a classic "no-nonsense" newsman.
Power Loss- If Peter gets the flu or a cold, or if something weird is going on genetically, he will lose his powers. Still in shape, he is reduced to Strength 2, Stamina 3 and Agility 4 (6 with Spider-Sense).
Power Loss (Web-Shooters)- Spider-Man runs out of Web Fluid whenever the GM demands it. Always at the worst possible time. Especially if he makes a super-big Web thing. Spidey's GM is an asshole.
---
Responsibility (That Parker Luck)- Spidey has tons of powers and skills, right? Well, too bad, Spidey- you've got the flu, your powers are on the fritz, and you can barely see straight. Oh yeah, and both Kraven and the new Vulture have decided to team up to finish you off. Good luck.
Weakness (Newbie Villains)- Spider-Man has bad luck fighting super-villains making their debut. Though he can beat guys like The Scorpion & The Vulture while standing on his head, a brand-new rookie like Menace or The Shocker can beat him in almost every single fight before they are downgraded over the years. All new villains fighting Spider-Man will be treated as if they are one full Power Level higher than normal (or Spidey as one PL lower, whichever). Assuming this rule is already Houseruled for everybody, then Spidey will feel it twice as hard.
Secret Identity- Peter obsesses over keeping his identity a secret, because of people like Osborn & Venom, who know, and torture him for it.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 8 (190)

-Spider-Man in the 1970s was a strange decade- It gave him some of his greatest changes, but also provided a lot of stagnation to the book- almost every issue felt the same after a point. It was "Freak of the Week" storytelling to the max. Not that the stories were BAD, it's just that there wasn't a lot of growth. However, Pete's Personal Life was also thrown into a wreck once in a while. In a huge story, Captain Stacy (Pete's girlfriend's father) was killed during a super-battle. Then they topped that years later when GWEN HERSELF was killed. Peter also became the star of Marvel Team-Up, featuring Spidey teaming with a random Marvel character (some big names, some nobody goof-offs) to fight what was generally a future Jobber Villain or Scourge Victim. 1976 saw the debut of a SECOND Spidey book- The Spectacular Spider-Man, making him the only Marvel hero with TWO books! This secondary book used some top-tier talents at first (Gerry Conway & Archie Goodwin), but soon became the "B-League" book. This relative freedom allowed it to create some distinctive villains (La Tarantula & Carrion were Spectacular guys), and focus on the Supporting Cast that couldn't get focus in the more important main book. By the decade's end, Spidey had broken up with Mary-Jane after a failed proposal.

-Spidey has a lot of trouble with a wide variety of opponents in this era- I figure him for a PL 8 mostly, with some PL 8.5-9 Defenses.

---

SIX-ARMED SPIDER-MAN:
"Six Arms" Extra Limbs 4 [4]
Complications: Prejudice (Freak)- Four extra arms are pretty hard to hide.

-For a brief period in the early 1970s, Spidey grew a couple more pairs of arms. This goofy story came about because of Peter's misery after Harry became a junkie and Captain Stacy died- he decided that "Spider-Man Must Die!" and injected himself with a serum intended to wipe out his Spider-Powers! Naturally, because this is comics, the serum instead AMPLIFIES his Spider-Powers, giving him six freaking arms! Now, if he suddenly started shooting webs out of his ass, THEN you'd have something, but this disfiguring situation was quite perturbing. He ends up allying with Curt Connors and fighting Morbius The Living Vampire in that character's debut, and soon there's an antidote.

-Now, this story was over and done with in three issues. THREE! And yet, the weird visual of a six-armed Spider-Man has stuck with people, inspiring an arc of the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon (I recall it being like 37 parts, but it was probably only a couple episodes- The Neogenic Nightmare storyline ran for a full season at least, and episodes kind of ran into one another), the Spider-Doppelganger from The Infinity War, an Ultimate Marvel storyline, and a ton of What If? stories. Seriously, this three-issue arc really stuck with people.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Spidey will always have a special place in my heart -- my very first comic was "The Night Gwen Stacy Died."
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

As a young boy, my three favorite books were the paper-back sized Amazing Spider-Man collections which, all together, collected issues 1-20, and I think the first annual (not sure) in vibrant color. I took these books everywhere with me.

Sure, I had the one Fantastic Four which collected the first six issues, a Captain America, and two Hulks - one the original six issue run, and then a kludge of other stories starting with Marie Severin's start and his brawl with the Silver Surfer.

But those Spider-Man tales were everything.

He was as vulnerable as Batman in a fight (and remember, this was before Batgod was born), but he could take on foes like the Fantastic Four - tossing Ben Grimm like a sack of potatoes - and even survive the Hulk, while still being threatened and pushed by Ox, Fancy Dan and that guy with the rope.

I thoroughly applaud the use of power lifting here too.

One scene from the 80's, when he showed up to "audition" for the Avengers had Starfox and She-Hulk ripping open a bulkhead, and considering himself a 90-lb weakling alongside Starfox. Starfox, whose OHOTMU and his FASERIP entries gave him the same strength level as Spidey.

This takes that into great account.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

YES... Comments! Sweet COMMENTS!! Now here's why I like posting guys like Spidey :).

That's a neat story, Rusche- thanks for sharing. And good mini-essay, Ares.
Jabroniville

Spidey ('80s)

Post by Jabroniville »

SPIDER-MAN (Peter Parker)- 1970s-'80s Version
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
Role: The Symbol of Marvel Comics, Taunting Hero, THE Everyman Character, Fate's Butt-Monkey
PL 10 (209)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 8/10
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+10, +18 Spider-Sense)
Athletics 5 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+10)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Photography) 4 (+9)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 1 (+5, +12 Spider-Sense)
Ranged Combat (Webbing) 4 (+10)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+6)
Technology 6 (+11)

Advantages: 
Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Equipment (Bitchin' Camera, Spider-Tracers, Spider-Flashlight), Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Webbing), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand (Removes Damage for 1 Round with HP Spent), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown 2, Taunt

Powers:
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Skills 14: Acrobatics 6 (+18), Perception 7 (+12) [7]
Enhanced Advantages 8: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Second Chance (Falling), Ultimate Acrobatics Skill, Uncanny Dodge [8]
Enhanced Dodge 2 [2]
Enhanced Parry 3 [3]

"Web-Shooters" (Flaws: Removable) [27]
"Webbing" Snare 8 (Feats: Split, Tether, Dynamic) (27) -- (33 points)
  • Dynamic AE: "Here's Web In Your Eye!" Dazzle Visuals 7 (Resisted By Dodge & Strength) (Feats: Dynamic) (Inaccurate -1) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: "Webline & Web-Net" Movement 2 (Swinging, Safe Fall) (Extras: Safe Fall is Affects Others Only +0) (Feats: Dynamic) (5)
  • AE: "Web Spray" Snare 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (18)
  • AE: "Stuff Made of Webbing" Create 6 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent +0) (13)
Equipment:
Fancy-Ass Camera (1)
Spider-Flashlight (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spider-Web +11 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Web in the Eyes +9 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +8 (+14 Spider-Sense)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+10, +12 Spider-Sense, DC 22), Parry +7 (+10 Spider-Sense, DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +11

Complications:
Responsibility (Human Life)- Losing his Uncle Ben made Peter realize that all human life is sacred. Even if faced with a situation that all but demands someone be put down, Peter can't do it. Even if they murder hundreds of people, or even the love of his life.
Motivation (Guilt)- Peter's selfish decision cost him the most important man in his life- his Uncle Ben. Another failure saw him lose the love of his life- Gwen Stacy. Peter will never stop trying to make amends for these losses.
Relationship (May Parker)- Peter's aunt has raised him since he was a young boy, and he is incredibly devoted to her (especially since Uncle Ben died). Her frequently failing health leads him to spectacular feats of power. If she is sick or needs medicine, then I don't care if you're a #@%*! Herald of Galactus, God of Asgard, or super-powered Mystic Sorceror- get the hell out of his way.
Relationship (Other Women)- Peter's had crushes on or relationships with Liz Allan, Betty Brant, Gwen Stacy, Mary-Jane Watson, Felicia Hardy and more.
---
Enemy (Everyone)- Peter has amassed a truly horrifying amount of enemies over the years, to the point where his Rogues Gallery is easily as large as those belonging to entire teams. His worst enemies include Dr. Octopus, Electro, The Rhino, and more. He has fought every supervillain in existence at least once.
Enemy (Norman Osborn)- Norman has a sick obsession with Parker, seeing him almost as a son, while also trying to either kill him, ruin his life, or get him to become as evil and twisted as the Green Goblin himself.
---
Reputation (Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?)- Peter is mistrusted at best by the general public, no matter how many people he has saved. The police frequently chase him, and no matter how many freaking times a super-villain disguises themself as Spider-Man and commits a crime, the people of New York will automatically believe the lies and chase him. The freakin' Rhino could be in that costume and they would buy it.
Rivalry (J. Jonah Jameson)- Peter's boss, the volatile newspaperman, has a major mad-on for Spidey over all other superhumans, and relentlessly hunts for signs he's gone bad. Aside from this, JJJ is a classic "no-nonsense" newsman.
Power Loss- If Peter gets the flu or a cold, or if something weird is going on genetically, he will lose his powers. Still in shape, he is reduced to Strength 2, Stamina 3 and Agility 4 (6 with Spider-Sense).
Power Loss (Web-Shooters)- Spider-Man runs out of Web Fluid whenever the GM demands it. Always at the worst possible time. Especially if he makes a super-big Web thing. Spidey's GM is an asshole.
---
Responsibility (That Parker Luck)- Spidey has tons of powers and skills, right? Well, too bad, Spidey- you've got the flu, your powers are on the fritz, and you can barely see straight. Oh yeah, and both Kraven and the new Vulture have decided to team up to finish you off. Good luck.
Weakness (Newbie Villains)- Spider-Man has bad luck fighting super-villains making their debut. Though he can beat guys like The Scorpion & The Vulture while standing on his head, a brand-new rookie like Menace or The Shocker can beat him in almost every single fight before they are downgraded over the years. All new villains fighting Spider-Man will be treated as if they are one full Power Level higher than normal (or Spidey as one PL lower, whichever). Assuming this rule is already Houseruled for everybody, then Spidey will feel it twice as hard.
Secret Identity- Peter obsesses over keeping his identity a secret, because of people like Osborn & Venom, who know, and torture him for it.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 9 (209)

-Spider-Man in the 1980s saw the character go through a relationship with The Black Cat under Marv Wolfman's pen- a classic Dating Catwoman arc. More "Freak of the Week" stuff took place, as the Status Quo had been in existence for a while- with The Green Goblin dead, Spidey focused more on Doctor Octopus and others. Spidey finally got married in 1987, and received a fancy-ass new Black Costume that looked SO FREAKING COOL, so there were still numerous changes under Jim Shooter's run as Editor-In-Chief (Thor, Captain America & Iron Man would also go through major shifts around this time). 1985 saw the debut of a THIRD Spidey book- Web of Spider-Man, a third-tier book that nonetheless saw some good runs (including Kraven's Last Hunt). By the 1990s, that particular book would be a real bottom-tier nothing (made worse by a FOURTH Spidey book).

-Spidey adds another PL in the '80s, fitting a good, over-pointed PL 9.5 on Dodge, PL 9 everywhere else. Spidey has his moments in this era (trouncing the X-Men for a couple rounds before running off during Secret Wars), but is generally not that phenomenal, and needs a lot of help in Marvel Team-Up.

SPIDER-MAN (Peter Parker)- BLACK COSTUME
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
PL 10 (214)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 8/10
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+10, +18 Spider-Sense)
Athletics 5 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+10)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Photography) 4 (+9)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 1 (+5, +12 Spider-Sense)
Ranged Combat (Webbing) 4 (+10)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+6)
Technology 6 (+11)

Advantages: 
Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Equipment (Bitchin' Camera, Spider-Tracers, Spider-Flashlight), Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Webbing), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand (Removes Damage for 1 Round with HP Spent), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown 2, Taunt

Powers:
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Skills 14: Acrobatics 6 (+18), Perception 7 (+12) [7]
Enhanced Dodge 2 [2]
Enhanced Parry 3 [3]

"Symbiotic Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [32]
Morph 1 (Flaws: Limited to Costume & Clothing) (3)
"Webbing" Snare 9 (Feats: Split, Tether, Dynamic) (30) -- (36)
AE: "Stuff Made of Webbing" Create 6 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent +0) (13)[/list]
-- (39 points)

Equipment:
Fancy-Ass Camera (1)
Spider-Flashlight (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spider-Web +11 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Web in the Eyes +9 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +8 (+14 Spider-Sense)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+10, +12 Spider-Sense, DC 22), Parry +7 (+10 Spider-Sense, DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +11

Complications:
Relationship (Other Women)- Peter's had crushes on or relationships with Liz Allan, Betty Brant, Gwen Stacy, Mary-Jane Watson, Felicia Hardy and more.
---
Enemy (Everyone)- Peter has amassed a truly horrifying amount of enemies over the years, to the point where his Rogues Gallery is easily as large as those belonging to entire teams. His worst enemies include Dr. Octopus, Electro, The Rhino, and more. He has fought every supervillain in existence at least once.
---
Power Loss (Symbiote)- The Symbiotic Costume will weaken if exposed to fire or sonic energy.
---

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 70 / Defenses: 9 (214)

-The Black Costume was basically just a cool-looking variant at first, with the extra bonus that it could morph into other kinds of clothing, and the webbing would never run out. Now why a Symbiotic Costume could shoot out webbing is beyond me, but all later Symbiotes are shown with that capability. The Symbiote as it is has changed SO MUCH over the years, mainly because of retcons- see, when Peter finds out that his costume is trying to permanently-bond with him, he discards it. Bereft, it hooks up with Eddie Brock and makes him the super-powerful Venom, and begins communicating with him. But the costume had ZERO EFFECT on Spider-Man's strength levels! And all FUTURE Symbiotes give Super-Strength and the full variety of Spider-powers as soon as they're attached to their hosts, and now exhibit full-blown mind-controlling properties, as their hosts become addicted and enraptured by the power.

-The 1990s cartoon series was the first to give Spidey a power-boost while Symbioted-Up (in addition to making him angrier and angrier), and the Sam Raimi series took it further by making him a... Smarmy Emo Douchebag who danced disco-style?... okay then. But the Black Costume Spider-Man in the comics is essentially just 1980s Spider-Man with better gear (gaining +1 to the Snare, a Morph power, and dropping a Complication).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I think it was explained somewhere that the symbiote had bonded with Peter enough that it could replicate his purely physical powers (so no Spider Sense), and apply them to future hosts. It also made the strength boost contingent on the base strength of the user. So Venom is much stronger than Spider-Man because Olympic Weight Lifter Eddie Brock is way stronger than 90 pound nerd Peter Parker. And then future Venom offspring gained similar powers that often changex with mutation.

The first Venom story also suggested that the symbiote converted its own mass into webbing based off of the chemical formula it pulled from Peter's mind. It actually became a forgotten weakness for symbiotes, because Venom used so much webbing to incapacitate Spider-Man that it essentially had bled the symbiote of bio-mass. Peter then tricked Venom into using more webbing, until he had weakened the symbiote enough that a fall from a long height koed him.

Arkrite

Re: The Character

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:43 amHowever, The Amazing Spider-Man was a pretty good movie, with some GREAT acting by Andrew Garfield, who immediately one-upped Maguire in people's eyes.
I will say this in his favor, when he was actually Spiderman and being snarky it was pretty good.
Sadly I only remember that in one scene where he'd taking on a car thief.

The rest of the time all I can remember is the stylish, handsome, well dressed teenager who has cool hobbies, flirts with beautiful women... but is apparently a nerdy loser nobody likes?
*facepalm*

Also I swear he lost his mask even more often than Toby did. It's like that hair gel was designed to repel masks.

I wasn't a big fan of Toby, but at least he seemed closer to being Peter Parker.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

From what I recall, Garfield lost his mask twice in Amazing Spider-Man 1, and never in ASM 2. In ASM 1 Capt. Stacy pulled his mask off, and so did the Lizard. Maguire lost his mask once on Spider-Man 1 (destroyed by a pumpkin bomb), three times in SM 2 (he lost it saving the train, Harry pulled it off, and he took it off during his fight with Dr. Octopus), and then once in SM 3 (Venom pulled it off in the last fight).

I'd say that Garfield was overall a better Peter Parker and Spider-Man, because Maguire always looked confused and could barely emote to save his life. He really couldn't pull off the quips and lacked the kind of charm Peter eventually developed.

I think overall, Spider-Man 2 is the best of the Spider-Man films, while Amazing Spider-Man 2 is at least on par with Spider-Man 1, while Amazing Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 3 are both pretty terrible. I do think the actress for Gwen was better than the one we got for MJ, though oddly enough both had to die their hair the other's color for the role.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 also gave us the best looking film version of the Spider-Man costume, at least until the MCU version we got in Civil War. I've got my fingers crossed that Homecoming knocks it out of the park and we see more Avengers action including Peter. The new kid seems just about perfect for Spider-Man and Peter.

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Are we including all the times he just pulls it off for no reason?
Cause I swear that mask was off more than it was on.