Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: Maximum Garbage

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:50 pmThe overall "point" of the story is to give the writers' P.O.V. in the "Killing (vs) Non-Killing" debate- we're meant to basically see the worst of '90s excess, come to the brink... and walk away from it, as Peter refuses to compromise his principles and kill someone. J.M. DeMatteis says in the opening of the Trade that he didn't want to DO the storyline, because he was tired of all the murderers and psychopaths running through comics ("and those, heaven help us, were the heroes!"), but was convinced by his Editor (Danny Fingeroth), who wanted that to be the POINT. Essentially, the ultimate indictment of that kind of "Extreme" comic.

The problem? Well, the storyline's problems are numerous. My BIGGEST problem with the whole storyline is that in going for the "Killing is ALWAYS wrong!" concept by giving us the worst-possible villain to fight, they've accidentally PROVEN THAT CONCEPT WRONG.
Yikes, just yikes.

If you want to do the "killing is bad" story you need to show why the killing is bad. This is best done by showing the fallout of such actions, how it affects the victims and their loved ones, and the long lasting repercussions.

You could have a lot of interesting stories from this concept.
Show a new hero who's killing villains.
From this one action you get to show the family's reaction to the loss of a loved one, perhaps the latest version of Kiteman was a bad person, but he was a good father, so on so forth.
Show how the villains respond to this.
This could have huge repercussions, imagine if villains are getting killed they'd probably want to tip the odds in their own favor. And suddenly the normally solo groups would all be teaming together.
And worse now they know they're playing for keeps. Getting beaten no longer means you wake up in a prison cell to plan your escape, it means you die. And as such you're far more likely to use full force from the start, far more likely to result in collateral damage, and are far more likely to fight to the death than surrender.
From the public eye you've now got another superpowered killer out there, one claiming to be a hero. This could result in public backlash when somebody, who shall remain J. Jonah Jameson, starts stirring up the public. Suddenly the police are after you when previously they were helpful if not actively pretending you weren't around, Civilians are terrified and likely to call the police as soon as they see a hero, and the public hero teams are getting some serious backlash.
A smart villain could use this as an excuse to create himself a large team to "protect themselves" against the murderous heroes. A properly charismatic villain could really draw people in if he made them feel like they were the innocent parties and justified in their sudden violence in defending themselves.
And now the heroes have a bizzare time dealing with just about everybody, and being forced to stop and justify their choices and actions to everybody they come across, civilian, police, villain and hero alike.

Oh, and if it's in Marvel you just know SHIELD is going to be making a mess of it as well.

There's lots of potential.

The absolute worst way of doing it? Bring in a villain who's murdering hundreds of people.
You've already lost the sympathy of the reader, this villain is a monster and he needs to go down.
To be fair I still get why the hero wouldn't want to kill, but actively preventing others from stopping that villain just seems painfully irresponsible. If that villain was helpless and no longer able to hurt anybody? Yes, you can do that then, it makes sense.
But what they did for Total Carnage?
Yikes. Just yikes.

And, in defense of Batman who never kills the Joker regardless of how many people the Joker has killed: He's delivered the man into the hands of the justice system.
It's not Batman who keeps putting the man in a position to repeat his crimes, the justice system does. :~P
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cardiac! Solo! Venom! Carnage! Shriek!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:16 am
Heh, yeah, I got caught up with a few things in real life, so thanks for the reminder. It's always interesting revisiting old posts, but I stand by what I said then. If anything, there's even more Spider-Clones around today than there was during the Clone Saga.
Oh, that quote was from me- I just added it to my post about your own comments.
Jabroniville

Flash Thompson

Post by Jabroniville »

Ditko always drew the best smarmy smirks. Both Thompson & Jameson had these massive, egotistical grins all the time.

EUGENE "FLASH" THOMPSON
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962)
Role: The Bully, Jerk Jock, Jock-Turned Nice-Guy, Forgotten Supporting Cast Member
Supporting Cast Ranking: C-Level (once A-Level)
Group Affiliations: The U.S. Army
PL 5 (53)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Rifle) 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Addiction (Alcoholic)- Flash became an alcoholic after his negative experiences in Vietn... I mean a "Foreign War", and struggles with this constantly.
Rivalry (Peter Parker)- Flash hated and bullied the "Puny Parker" until Pete beat him badly in a boxing match. Flash later shifted just to verbal taunts, but the two made a peace of sorts in their College days, Flash eventually becoming a good friend.
Obsession (Spider-Man)- Flash has been an open supporter of Spidey from day one, and is one of the very few people who do not automatically assume he is guilty of the various crimes The Chameleon & Mysterio frame him for. He will not allow a negative word to be uttered about Spider-Man in his presence.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (53)

-Flash is very much the iconic "Jerk Jock" character in all High School-based situations- he's so iconic that he STILL shows up in Spidey movies & TV shows, when poor Liz Allan and Betty Brant almost always take a colossal back seat. He's just THAT important to the early story, representing how much of an outcast young Peter was, and how "cool" Flash seemed by contrast. Near-exact variants of this character type appear in almost every Teen Series targetted towards young males (in girl-focused ones, the Head Quarterback is often the love interest, and much nicer), and Flash is arguably the prototype for the modern incarnation of the Bullying Jock that appeared in so many '80s Movies. The character archetype didn't originate with Spider-Man (at least I think it's unlikely that it did- I can't recall many characters like him from stuff before that), but he really stands out amongst the crowd. Personally, I found Jocks less prick-ish in High School (they were too busy being popular, going to parties, and getting laid), and had more to worry about with the burn-outs & Trailer Trash, who were frequently much more vicious and cruel.

-The writers had good fun with the idea that Flash mercilessly picked on "Puny Parker" (viewing him as stand-offish and snobbish, like a lot of bullies & extrovertsdo with introverted people, and deciding to make him a routine target), yet hero-worshipped the awesome Spider-Man. Some of the best bits of the Silver Age Lee/Ditko years is Peter smirking as FLASH THOMPSON is the only person in New York willing to come to Spider-Man's defense against the nasty Daily Bugle, and the public's persona of the Wall-Crawler. The two finally came to blows in an issue that involved them in a boxing match, and Peter humiliated him and made mincemeat out of Flash using his super-powers- the harrassment mostly stuck to verbal jabs after that, with Pete willing to go along and snapping right back on occasion.

-It was to the creators' credit that Flash became an "All-American Boy" and less of a jerk in the late 1960s, and he was finally quite likeable. This was partially due to John Romita taking over as an artist, taking Flash from a buffoon who was used for comic relief, and making him a more well-rounded character, who was even able to GET ALONG with Peter on occasion (he even hung out with Harry, MJ & Gwen). A lot of his bullying was explained by his terrible home life- Flash lived with an alcoholic father, who frequently physically-abused his son. Flash soon matured a bit, and was shipped off to the then-current Vietnam War, which led to his next arc: Flash the Brave Hero. He was targetted by some Vietnamese cultist assassins, hooked up with Sha Shan, and became an alcoholic himself, completing a vicious cycle so common in addictive families. At one point, he was jailed, and Peter even kind of stuck it to him, pointing out that "The one time we fought... I cleaned your clock", while admitting that yeah, he WAS a bit self-righteous and unwilling to hang out with others, and maybe he'd earned a bit of the razzing he took from Thompson.

-This modern Flash kind of did the "Supporting Spider-Man Character Tailspin", going nuts once or twice, being rendered comatose by Norman Osborn (hoping to stick it to Peter), and becoming the PE Teacher at Midtown High. Eventually, he loses his legs heroically in the Iraq War, becoming a bit of an inspirational figure, but still desperately attempting to regain his legs.

-Flash is in better shape than the rest of the supporting cast, making him a solid PL 5, able to beat up unarmed thugs with ease. During Maximum Carnage, he actually saves Richard, Mary & May Parker from some thugs (though The Molten Man helped as well).

VENOM III (Eugene "Flash" Thompson)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962)
Role: The Bully, Jerk Jock, Jock-Turned Nice-Guy, Sometimes-Forgotten Supporting Cast Member
Supporting Cast Ranking: B-Level (once A-Level)
Group Affiliations: The U.S. Army, The Secret Avengers, The Guardians of the Galaxy
PL 10 (183)
STRENGTH
3/8 STAMINA 3/8 AGILITY 3/7
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Rifle) 2 (+10)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Equipment 4 (Guns +6- Multiattack, Grenades, etc.), Improved Critical (Guns), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Symbiotic Costume"
"Immune to Spider-Sense" Concealment (Spider-Sense) 1 (Extras: Continuous) [3]

"More Than Proportionate to A Spider"
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Stamina 5 [10]
Enhanced Agility 4 [8]
Enhanced Fighting 2 [4]

"Spider-Movement"
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Spider-Sense- Warns of Danger & Boosts Agility"
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
Enhanced Skills 16: Acrobatics 5 (+12), Athletics 4 (+12), Perception 5 (+12), Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10) [8]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge [2]
Enhanced Dodge 3 [3]
Enhanced Parry 2 [2]

"Cellular-Morphing Qualities"
Features 1: Carries Pocket [1]
Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]
Regeneration 4 [4]
Morph 2 (10) -- [11]
  • AE: Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Flaws: Blending) (2)
"Self-Created Webbing"
"Web-Shooters"
"Web-Line" Movement 1 (Swinging) [2]
"Spider-Web" Snare 10 (Feats: Split, Tether) (32) -- [33]
  • AE: "Web Burst" Snare 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Symbiote Strength +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Guns +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Webbing +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Web Burst +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3 (+8 Costume)

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (+2 Costume, DC 13-22), Parry +8 (+12 Symbiote, DC 18-22), Toughness +3 (+8 Costume), Fortitude +5 (+10 Costume), Will +5

Complications:
Addiction (Alcoholic)- Flash became an alcoholic after his negative experiences in Vietn... I mean a "Foreign War", and struggles with this constantly.
Rivalry (Peter Parker)- Flash hated and bullied the "Puny Parker" until Pete beat him badly in a boxing match. Flash later shifted just to verbal taunts, but the two made a peace of sorts in their College days, Flash eventually becoming a good friend.
Obsession (Spider-Man)- Flash has been an open supporter of Spidey from day one, and is one of the very few people who do not automatically assume he is guilty of the various crimes The Chameleon & Mysterio frame him for.
Addiction (The Symbiote)- Flash cannot be bonded to the Symbiote for more than 48 hours at a time, lest it gain complete control of him. It can cause him to become a murderous savage in combat.
Relationship (Betty Brant)- The two have been off-and-on over the years, and she's one of the few to know he's Agent Venom.
Relationship (Valkyrie)- That's right- VALKYRIE.
Disabled (Crippled)- Flash lost his legs in the Iraq War, and cannot walk without using the Symbiote.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 111 / Defenses: 6 (183)

-In one of the more bizarre plot turns in recent history, FLASH THOMPSON of all people is given the Venom Symbiote, because the American government wants another super-operative. Thankfully, this ridiculous plot is given a pretty decent creative team, and so Agent Venom didn't turn out nearly as bad as it could have. It wasn't really GREAT (I have one pretty good trade, and read the next few, which were weaker), but considering how embarrassing it coulda been, it wasn't so bad. He largely fought the new Crime-Master, but also had to deal with Eddie Brock as the Symbiote-killer and as Toxin, plus a few Jobber Villains (mostly the new Jack O'Lantern) as henchmen. He ended up sticking with the Guardians of the Galaxy for a while, but he was EASILY the least-used character in that story- I have all 20-ish Bendis issues of the most-recent run (hey, the art's good), and I swear to God I consistently forget he's on the team. They pretty much spend the entire series being split into smaller groups, and he's never around.

-Over the years, Flash has amassed a pretty good selection of hot comic book ladies as love interests- Betty Brant, Felicia Hardy, VALKYRIE, Sha Shan, and he's even gone on dates with Mary Jane & Gwen Stacy.

-Flash, a pretty good Soldier at first, is treated as FAR superior in modern comics, and as Agent Venom, he's a full-blown awesome fighter with super-powers. However, he's not at the level of Eddie Brock or Mac Gargan with the suit- it's addictive properties means they hold it back a fair bit. Nonetheless, he still hits PL 10 as a Super-Soldier with great strength and speed.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Venom! Carnage! Shriek! Carrion! Scorpion!)

Post by M4C8 »

Have you seen what they've done to Flash Thompson in the upcoming Spider-Man movie? :roll:
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

You know what the worst diluting of the Symbiotes was? In one arc, there was an ENTIRE PLANET of Symbiotes, and they invaded Earth, turning the Symbiotes into mere mooks. Though there was some stuff like the symbiotes taking over superheroes, so you got stuff like Symbiote Captain America.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

I don't know why but the Scorpion was always one of my favorites of Spidey's rouges, maybe it has something to do with me being a Scorpio ~shrug~

I always wish that the powers that be would do something really cool with him, what I got instead was a second rate Venom (sorry, I'm not among the fans of that pairing since writers basically gave Scorpion a whole new personality). I mean Scorpion was said to be stronger & tougher than Spidey, plus I always got the impression he'd favor Power Attacks 90% of the time so I could see him being more of a challenge in a fight, and that's before writers weaponized his tail more.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I actually really liked the idea of Flash Thompson getting the Venom symbiote and I think he's my favorite version of Venom. It kept it as a personal connection to Spider-man and it made sense that Flash would go along with the idea of getting superpowers and saving people like his idol, Spider-man. That being, the series got a bit too dark at times and had a bad tendency of showing Flash being constantly depressed or down on himself. Personally I really enjoyed the Venom: Space Knight series. Art was fantastic and we got to see Flash enjoying being a hero (in space!) while being almost perfect synch with the Venom symbiote. It was a fun read and I personally hate that they pulled a 'back-to-basics' recently.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

The Grizzly (Markham)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GRIZZLY III (Maxwell Markham)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Ross Andrew
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #139 (Dec. 1974)
Role: Joke Villain
Villain Ranking: E-List
Group Affiliations: The Legion of Losers, The Thunderbolts
PL 7 (58)
STRENGTH
4/7 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+8)
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+2)
Expertise (Wrestler) 6 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack

Powers:
"Grizzly Exoskeleton" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
"Razor-Sharp Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
Protection 4 (8)
-- (15 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Unarmed Exoskeleton +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Claws Exoskeleton +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4 (+8 Exoskeleton), Fortitude +5, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Reputation)- The Grizzly is seen as a joke in the super-community, even by other jokes, and he strives to correct this.
Enemy (Spider-Man)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 6 (58)

-The Grizzly is part of the proud team known as The Legion Of Losers. He's essentially your generic one-shot villain, popping up to get revenge on J. Jonah Jameson for ruining his wrestling career with some bad press years back, and Spidey defeated him without even the usual "gets his ass kicked badly the first time" trope. He once got an upgrade and demanded a rematch, Spidey faking defeat to allow the guy to save face in front of his peers. After that, his ridiculous appearance put him with a whole GANG of similar-losers, and a recurring Marvel Universe gag was born. However, he's not that bad of a guy, and both he & Gibbon aid Spidey against the greedy Spot & Kangaroo. This naturally was forgotten, and he was seen as a generic Background Supervillain, seen fighting various heroes and teaming up with guys WAY worse than mere bankrobbers, but he also showed up in a recent Scott Lang Ant-Man comic, joining his group of ex-cons on some more positive endeavors, such as rescuing Cassie Lang.

-Grizzly's stats are those of a Big Dumb Joke, but a PL 7 is still surprisingly potent compared to mooks or something, and all four of the Losers combined are actually a pretty serious threat to a solo hero.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Gibbon

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GIBBON (Martin Blank)
Created By:
Stan Lee & John Romita
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #110 (July 1972)
Group Affiliations: The Legion of Losers
PL 7 (69)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Athletics 2 (+9)
Deception 2 (+1)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+1)
Intimidation 4 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Ape-Like Nature"
Enhanced Skills 4: Athletics 4 (+13) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
Speed 1 (2 mph) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Reputation)- The Gibbon is seen as a joke in the super-community, even by other jokes, and he strives to correct this.
Enemy (Spider-Man)
Relationship (Princess Python)- A habitual loser-marrier, Python fell for the Gibbon, but soon came down on him for being a lazy loser.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 9 (69)

-The Gibbon's another joke, and actually created by The Man himself- you'd think he'd be a part of the "dying '70s" era of Marvel, but he's SUPPOSED to be lame, so it's okay. By this point, goofy villains started getting called-out for being goofy more often, and a bunch of guys were getting created solely to BE lame characters. Gibbon's a mutant who was attempting to be Spider-Man's partner, but screwed everything up, and became a Legion of Losers member. He eventually split from his buddies along with Grizzly once Spot & Kangaroo started stealing again, but other writers forgot this, and he kinda vanished, losing his powers (but not his appearance). He DID get to marry Princess Python, though, so that was pretty cool... until she started cranking out on him and he was miserable. But the recent Marvel Apes storyline actually had him as a feature player, going to the Simian World and doing some stuff, which is FAR bigger than I ever imagined him getting. Of course, nothing came AFTER that, but it was something. He's just one of many "lovable loser" characters in the Marvel Universe.

-The Gibbon's not so different from The Grizzly, but is more accurate and much more defensive, making a solid PL 7 Powerhouse-type character who can dish out some heavy hits, and grapple REALLY well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Kangaroo (Original)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE KANGAROO I (Frank Oliver)
Created By:
Stan Lee, John Buscema, John Romita & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #81 (Feb. 1970)
Group Affiliations: N/A
PL 7 (71)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+4)
Expertise (Kangaroos) 10 (+10)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+2)

Advantages: 
Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Power Punch), Improved Defense, Power Attack

Powers:
"Enhanced Powers: Kangaroo Traits"
Leaping 4 (120 feet) [4]
"Power Punch" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Power Punch +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Enemy (Spider-Man)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 9 (71)

-The first Kangaroo is pretty idiotic, which is funny, considering the pedigree of his creators. He was a guy who studied Kangaroos alot until he developed near-superhuman-level leaping (wut?), and became a half-decent Boxer until he badly-hurt an opponent with a surprise jump-kick to the face, then lost badly to Spider-Man when he tried to use his abilities for crime. He gained actual super-powers from Jonas Harrow, and actually had Spidey on the ropes, but fell into one of Harrow's (whom he had betrayed) traps and was disintegrated. He's hyper-E-League and a one-shot guy, but was surprisingly effective against Spidey the first time they met.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Carnage! Shriek! Carrion! Scorpion! Flash-Venom!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Also, apparently there is ANOTHER Symbiote, Scorn, that I know nothing about.
Jabroniville

Kangaroo (Hibbs)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE KANGAROO II (Brian Hibbs)
Created By:
Marc McLauren, Scott Benefiel, J.M. DeMatteis & Luke Ross
First Appearance: Cage #13 (April 1993) (appeared), The Spectacular Spider-Man #242 (Jan. 1997)
Role: Joke Villain, Obsessive Fan (of the original Kangaroo)
Group Affiliations: The Legion of Losers
PL 7 (83)
STRENGTH
4/6 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+4)
Expertise (Kangaroos) 10 (+10)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+2)

Advantages: 
Improved Defense

Powers:
"Kangaroo Exoskeleton" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
Enhanced Strength 2 (2)
Protection 2 (2)
Leaping 4 (120 feet) (4)
"Prehensile Tail" Extra Limb 1 (1)

"Pouch Cannon" Blast 7 (14) -- (23 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Unarmed Exoskeleton +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+6 Exoskeleton), Fortitude +6, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Reputation)- The Kangaroo is seen as a joke in the super-community, even by other jokes, and he strives to correct this.
Enemy (Spider-Man)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 10 (83)

-Hey! A Loser-member that's reasonably expensive! Well, not really- Kangaroo II has a few more powers (including a BLAST!), but still pretty much sucks at most things. His origin is truly messed-up, as he appeared in an issue of Cage, the early '90s failed attempt at re-pushing Luke Cage, but only in a picture or something, giving him a "real" introduction years later as a joke villain- he was an obsessive fan of the original Kangaroo (keep in mind this guy was a total loser who had a short run), and went out of his way to emulate Frank Oliver, even though Hibbs himself is not Australian.

-Spider-Man frequently beat him in mere moments, joking about the situation. He later gained actual superhuman powers, but got his IQ lowered as a result. He was introduced into "The Cage"- a supervillain prison, where he apparently became a top-level bad-ass owing to his martial arts skill, but he ended up being KO'd fighting Tombstone, discovered in a compromising position by "The Cruisers", a gang of prison-rapists. He later loses the mutations, and reforms, becoming a superhero in Australia- it's believed he was killed fighting Lady Deathstrike, but he later turns up alive, being "forced" into doing villainous acts, which basically means he's just gonna be a villain again.

-He's another guy in an Exoskeleton (these things are apparently REALLY easy to find- not sure why most people don't start using them), with a Blaster Cannon in his pouch, and is still PL 7 like the others, but leaning towards accuracy instead of balance (Gibbon) or power (Grizzly). In effect, all three animal-themed members of the Losers are the same PL, with a single-point variation in the statline.
Jabroniville

The Spot

Post by Jabroniville »

The GM owes his player a Hero Point for THAT one. Also, how the hell are his ears so easily-visible under that mask? How tight IS that thing?

THE SPOT (Doctor Jonathan Ohnn)
Created By:
Al Milgrom & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #97 (Dec. 1984)
Villain Ranking: D-List
Group Affiliations: The Legion of Losers, MODOK's 11
PL 8 (158)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+13)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 7 (+12)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Teleportation Powers"
Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 5, Turnabout) (Extras: Accurate, Extended, Portal +2) (68) -- [72]
  • AE: "Portal Punch" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Indirect 4, Accurate 3, Extended Range 3) (Extras: Ranged 4) (16)
  • AE: "Vast Area Punch" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Perception Range 4 +2) (8)
  • AE: Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1- Spotworld) (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Portal +2) (11)
  • AE: "Redirect Attacks" Deflect 13 (Extras: Reflect, Redirect) (39)
"Punches Immune to Spider-Sense" Concealment (Spider-Sense) 1 (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Limited to Portal Punch) [2]

"Portals In The Way"
Enhanced Dodge 6 [6]
Enhanced Parry 6 [6]

"Portal Bonuses"
Enhanced Advantages 5: Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Precise Attack (Cover/Ranged) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Portal Punch +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Perception Attack (+2 Perception Range Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+13 Portals, DC 17-24), Parry +7 (+13 Portals, DC 17-24), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Enemy (Spider-Man)

Relationship (Son)- The Spot has a son, and when he was rendered comatose by The Russian Mafia, Spot began murdering them.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 91 / Defenses: 9 (158)

-The Spot is a weird mix of serious & joke-y as a character, and is done as a deliberately-dumb character despite having a fairly serious power-set. He's your standard "Scientist makes a thing and breaks it" origin story merged with a goofball, and he faced off against Spidey a few times, instantly falling into the "Joke Villain" category (I mean, his nam is "THE SPOT"). Capable of using Darkforce-like Portals, he could nail (that is, punch) Spidey from any NUMBER of positions, just by sticking his fist through a portal, which would open ANOTHER portal right next to Spidey's head, face, kidneys, etc. He was a huge pain in the ass, avoiding all attacks in a similar way, but never really did much damage (he was still a regular human scientist throwing these punches, after all), and he's strictly a small-fry on the villain scale. 

-Oddly, they decided to kill him no less than THREE TIMES, bringing him back each time either ignoring the prior death, or having The Hand resurrect him or something. So he's not only a Joke Villain, he's come back more times than Jean Grey. Generally, his appearances are the same these days- he acts like a goof, says silly things, and gets easily defeated (once by Daredevil, at which point a scarier guy named Coyote copied his powers).

-The Spot's got a lot of weird things that you just don't see on other builds. His Teleportation costs a lot (at PL 8, he surpasses the points-cost of a PL 10 P.C.), and he can 'Port over great distances, travel to Spotworld, and Deflect all attacks at him back at his attackers. It also provides natural boosts to his Defenses, as he can either do the Deflect trick, or just avoid things (they're split off so that he can do his Attacks at the same time as his Dodging). He also has the option for two different kinds of Ranged Punch. One offers him a highly-accurate Ranged attack that he has to aim, but reaches VERY far (Extended Range), and can hit anywhere (Indirect). The other is Perception Range, showcasing the fact that his punches just APPEAR next to guys sometimes. Both are boosted in Range past the usual Strength-Damage, paying a bit more in case he uses the +2 Power Attack. It's highly-unusual, and would be VERY cheap if he wasn't so weak.

-As it stands, The Spot is very cheesy as a fighter, but too weak to do TOO much damage. He's at-best a harasser, and at PL 8, is enough to give most guys fits, but not enough to really beat anyone down. He's a single PL higher than the rest of the Legion of Losers (he was on it briefly, but split off to be a generic criminal), and MUCH more costly, taking up a totally-different gimmick.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Cyborg-X

Post by Jabroniville »

CYBORG-X
Created By:
Erik Larsen
First Appearance: Spider-Man #18 (Jan. 1991)
Role: Cyborg One-Shotter, Potential Character Upgrade (to Crimson Commando)
Group Affiliations: C.A.R.E. Labs
PL 9 (162)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+12)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 7 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Eidetic Memory, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Guns), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Cybernetics"
Speed 4 (16 mph) [4]
Senses 7 (Infravision, Analytical Vision, Radio, Low-Light & Extended Vision, Tracking- Biorhythms) [7]
"Boot Jets" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Activation -1) [11]

"Extendable Arms" Elongation 2 (Flaws: Limited to Limbs) [1]
"Hand Blasters" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Blasters +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +9, Fortitude +10, Will +1

Complications:
Responsibility (Cyborg)- Cyborg-X is clearly inhuman, and will be regarded as a freak by the general populace. He is also Vulnerable to Electrical or Magnetic Attacks.
Responsibility (Flashbacks)- Cyborg-X lost portions of his body in the Gulf War, and still flash backs to his final mission. During one of these episodes, he injured dozens of people in a shopping mall, and found Spider-Man & Ghost Rider to a standstill.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 7 (147)

-The Return of the Sinister Six was for a long time one of my favorite multi-part comic book stories. Taking place after Todd MacFarlane's horror-filled run of Spider-Man (the adjectiveless one), Erik Larsen (kind of a Todd copier at the time) took over, and promptly started this crazy storyline, featuring at first just Spidey, then quickly spiralling into including over a dozen super-heroes, all of them fighting the Six at some point or another. Now, during the course of this story line, the Six invaded another dimension via a S.H.I.E.L.D. base and took some alien hardware, boosting their already devastating power, grabbed a new member, and generally beat Spidey within an inch of his life for five comics straight before the Sixth Chapter, when all the heroes went postal, and Doc Ock's crew was finally taken down. Plus it cheeses off Hulk Power-Geeks who get pissy because ol' Green-Genes got the snot beaten out of him by Doctor Octopus (with Adamantium arms, given to him by a weapons broker who was stupid enough to arm the guy with death weapons, THEN demand payment). Peter David was so butthurt over it that he did ANOTHER fight in his own book just to "show up" Doc Ock and have Hulk "get his win back". Comic book politics are a funny thing, sometimes.

-Cyborg-X is pretty tough, but he was pretty much only designed to go a few rounds with Spider-Man and Ghost Rider, screwed up alot of what he was doing (it took him a while to get off the ground with his flight even), and was killed OFF-PANEL by the Sinister Six (who admittedly had him vastly outnumbered and outgunned, but he did have like ten dozen other people fighting with him). Also notable for the fact that Erik Larsen clearly used the exact same design for Super-Patriot when he started Savage Dragon. Other than the fact that Larsen wanted to draw him, and start with some action scenes for his Sinister Six story-arc, I didn't really see much point in the guy. Maybe he was just designed to look impressive enough to make an impact if the Six just offed him.

-HOWEVER, it would turn out that years later, this guy was going to be part of an X-Factor pitch by Larsen- Cyborg-X was supposed to be The Crimson Commando, who'd just been horribly maimed in a battle between Freedom Force and The Desert Sword in the X-Men Annuals. Much of Cyborg-X's dialogue was meant to infer this link ("Dominic... WHERE ARE YOU?!?" and talking about a "Walter"- references to Avalanche & Super-Sabre), but we never got his true identity. Basically, Cyborg-X was going to be part of X-Factor, but the pitch didn't work out, and so they dropped the idea. We never saw Cyborg-X again, as he'd died, and Larsen left Marvel shortly thereafter, taking his design to Image Comics with him. Some bios include Cyborg-X with the Commando's biography, but I'll treat them as separate characters, statistically. Especially as the real guy popped up again, as a cyborg.

-Cyborg-X was good enough to go several rounds with Spider-Man & Ghost Rider, and managed to survive getting thrown into a collapsing building, so he's no weenie. Without "New Villain Stink" he'd probably be around PL 9, like here- he's kind of got a Shapeshifting theme to him, shooting his arm way out, configuring guns and Boot Jets and the like.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Carnage! Shriek! Carrion! Scorpion! Flash-Venom!)

Post by greycrusader »

I had a comic with a reprint of the Gibbon's first appearance, and I remember thinking Spider-Man was acting like an absolute a$$hole to the poor schmuck-laughing and taunting him for earnestly asking Spider-Man to take him on as a sidekick and train him up to be a hero. Note, this was AFTER he'd done a minor favor for the Web-Slinger and demonstrated he had strength and agility similar to that of the X-Men's Beast (though lacking Mr. McCoy's extraordinary intellect and physical training, obviously). The guy had every right to think Spidey was a smug, cruel, bully after the way Peter Parker treated him.

As for the Spot...all right, clearly intended to be a goofball, in the way too ham-handed way certain comics writers think is "hilariously funny-look how stupid this character is, ha-ha-ha!"! bit. But I keep thinking if the loser had enough sense to just pick up a blade or gun, he's one HELL of an assassin against any non-invulnerable target. If he had been slashing at Spider Man with a razor instead of punching him, Parker would have been filleted. And yeah, Jab-given how super-soldier serums, exo-skeletons, blasters, and flying harnesses are in the MU, it would seem as if anyone with just a little scratch could become a low-rent hero or villain.

All my best.