Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Centurius

Post by Jabroniville »

CENTURIUS (Noah Black)
Created By:
Jim Steranko
First Appearance: Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 (July 1968)
Role:[/b] Jobber Villain, Super-Genius
Group Affiliations: The Conspiracy
PL 8 (108)
STRENGTH
2/4 STAMINA 3/4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+15)
Perception 2 (+3)
Technology 4 (+12)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Lab & Stuff), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Stun-Discs" (Flaws: Easily-Removable) [15]
Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (24 points)

"Superior Being Form"
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
Enhanced Strength 2 [4]
Enhanced Stamina 1 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stun-Discs +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power & Saving The Earth)- Centurius' mission was to save the Earth by destroying all of humanity.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 11 (108)

-Centurius is a little-known Super-Scientist created for Jim Steranko's legendary run on Nick Fury (Stan Lee had no work for him when he came by with his portfolio, but confessed that he wasn't about to let a talent like HIS go by, and so they basically dumped a low-selling book onto him). He's a Nobel Prize-winning geneticist and Super-Genius who fancies himself the savior of the Earth. He evolves several gigantic monsters before Dr. Demonicus made that his thing, and reveals his plan to exterminate humanity. He attempts to evolve himself into a superior being, but degenerates into a protoplasmic blob instead.

-He reappears much later as a member of The Conspiracy, a group of bad guys who try to recreate the Bloodgem/stone, but dies in the process. So basically, he's a one-off two times over... until modern times revealed him as a prisoner on The Raft (one of a few dead super-villains left on there because an Editor was too lazy to check the artist's work). After that, he becomes one of those "Background Guys" in The Hood's super-villain army (in which a lot of former Jobbers now Job in HUGE numbers to small groups of heroes), and in Luke Cage's Thunderbolts' "Beta-Team".

-A pretty standard-issue Super-Genius with a simple costume and gimmick. He once grew Giant Monsters, but since settled down into a generic "Smart Guy" who used gadgets. Not much good in a scrap, but what can ya do?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Atlan

Post by Jabroniville »

ATLAN
Created By:
John Warner, Steve Gerber, John Buscema & Alan Kupperberg
First Appearance: The Rampaging Hulk #8 (May 1977)
Role: Weird Background Villain, Magical Dolphin
Group Affiliations: The Conspiracy
PL 8 (138)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Sea Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 9 (+10)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+10)
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Critical (Magical Attacks), Ranged Attack 2, Ritualist, Teamwork

Powers:
"Magical Senses" Senses 5 (Detect Magic- Acute, Analytical & Ranged) [5]
"Whatever Powers The Write Tought Of- I Dunno, F*** Off" Variable 7 [49]

"Echolocation & Vision" Senses 6 (Extended, Ultra & Accurate Hearing, Extended & Low-Light Vision) [6]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 6 (30 mph) [6]
Immunity 4 (Cold, Drowning, Suffocation, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Magic Stuff +7 (+8 Damage, Probably Ranged, DC 23)
Other Magic Stuff +7 (Probably Afflictions and Junk)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (Probably Has a Force Field or Something Dumb), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Magic)- Casting magical spells requires some freedom of movement, and sometimes even speech. Binding a Wizard's flippers, body or mouth may impede certain spells. Or not.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 12 (138)

-Atlan is shamefully under-utilized by comic book writers- he's a Dolphin WIZARD. This is begging for a Deadpool, Squirrel Girl or Hellcat appearance or two.
drkrash

Re: The Watchdogs

Post by drkrash »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:41 am
-The Watchdogs enjoy kidnapping people they view as immoral, and imprisoning them in a compound while wearing "dog collars" that shock them for improper thoughts- effectively brainwashing subversives (shit would that be a good comic idea for modern-day SJW-types).
a) We'll never see this in any modern Marvel comic, ever.
b) There are some gaming forums where you couldn't even make this statement.

But I totally agree that it would be a good idea.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ken

Re: The Watchdogs

Post by Ken »

drkrash wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 am b) There are some gaming forums where you couldn't even make this statement.
I'm sure most of us who came here from the other place are -er- totally and utterly incapable of imagining that is true.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

SHIELD

Post by Jabroniville »

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Strange Tales #135 (Aug. 1965)
Role: The Good Guy Organization, The Undercurrent of the Marvel Universe
Leaders:
Twelve Mysterious Figures (giving orders to even Fury, it turns out)
Colonel Rick Stoner (assassinated by HYDRA)
Colonel Nick Fury
Timothy "Dum Dum" Dugan
G.W. Bridge
Capt. Jacob Strzeszewski
Sharon Carter
Maria Hill
Tony "Iron Man" Stark
Norman Osborn (turns it into H.A.M.M.E.R.)
Commander Steve "Captain America" Rogers

Affiliated Organizations:
A.R.M.O.R. (Altered-Reality Monitoring & Operational Response)- Investigates alternate realities.
S.W.O.R.D.- The space version. Build to come later.
EuroM.I.N.D. & S.H.A.P.E. (European Monitoring Investigation & Enforcement Division & Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers European)- European versions.
S.A.F.E. (Strategic Action For Emergencies)- The U.S.'s own S.H.I.E.L.D., introduced in Marvel's '90s novel series.
H.A.T.E. (Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort)- Parody of S.H.I.E.L.D. created in Nextwave.

-S.H.I.E.L.D. came about because Marvel wanted in on the trend of popular movies & TV shows creating spy agencies and rivals with catchy acronyms- specifically The Man From U.N.C.L.E., which is pretty obscure these days (for years, I only knew of the Archie parody series The Man From R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E.), especially since the Hollwood film was a huge bomb). There was also KAOS and CONTROL from Get Smart, the various James Bond groups, and others. And Stan 'n' Jack wanted in- they reformatted their old Howling Commandos characters into a modern spy group, only making them a little bit older (which actually made SENSE in the mid-1960s compared to stories set in the 1940s... clearly, they did not plan on their universe lasting fifty-plus more years). They got their own part in Strange Tales, as an international spy agency that mostly fought HYDRA, and not too much was made of it... until Jim Steranko came on the scene, and blew everyone's minds with insane, psychedelic artwork and crazy panel layouts. Alas, it only ran for a few years, as Steranko soon left comics for other fields (making more money there anyways), and nobody else could recapture his energy.

-Marvel only attempted one more go at a Nick Fury-based title in the late '80s, but it died out after 47 issues during the Comic Book Crash of 1993. Ironically, it is now a much BIGGER part of the Marvel Universe than it ever was then, giving us a huge undercurrent of stuff going on behind-the-scenes in every other book out there- back in the day, you were likely to only see Fury's crew in a one-off here and there, featuring in another hero's book. But nowadays? They were central to Civil War, and both Iron Man & Captain America have become director since then. It's gone from an international organization to an American one (changing things a fair bit)- I'm more willing to believe somebody forgot than they intentionally broke continuity- with most of the major characters being American War Heroes since The Contessa is no longer a major Marvel character, it stands to reason that many would just ASSUME it was an American thing. Some writers also mix it up by claiming that the U.N. gets some say in the matter, though American Presidents can get S.H.I.E.L.D. to enforce American law. It's very confusing.

-In recent times, S.H.I.E.L.D. has been dissolved by the President (ONCE AGAIN mixing up just where its loyalties lie), Norman Osborn refitted it into his own Evil Army, and it was revealed that HYDRA has been in control of S.H.I.E.L.D. from the very beginning (which I think is a pretty silly retcon). What's hilarious though, is that during the course of my various threads, I've read approximately 500 different events that paint the organization as either idiotic, careless or just flat-out EVIL (even before Civil War), with about twenty or thirty characters being revealed as Double-Agents the ENTIRE TIME, to the point where it's ludicrous that superheroes would have EVER allowed an organization this stupid to maintain a list of their Secret Identities. Honestly, anyone with any serious knowledge of comics history could tell you... these people are morons. Absolute, utter, foolhardy morons.

-Honestly, though... as I've said before, I've come to realize that I just don't care for the Super-Spy Genre at all, so I find S.H.I.E.L.D.-based stories to be dreadfully dull. I have absolutely zero interest in ready Spy Comics, and S.H.I.E.L.D.-related anything, and I have never, nor shall I ever, watch the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show.

S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENTS- ELITE
Role:
Elite Agents, Background Characters
Group Affiliation: Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate
PL 7 (101)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Soldier) 7 (+8)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Investigation 6 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 4 (+6)
Treatment 1 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+10)

Advantages: 
Benefit 1 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent), Equipment 6 (Gear), Improved Critical (Gun), Languages (A Few), Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork, Tracking

Equipment:
"Automatic Rifle" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (17) -- (20)
  • AE: "Standard Rifle Shot" Blast 6 (12)
  • AE: "Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
  • AE: "Grenade" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (20)
"S.H.I.E.L.D. Uniform" Protection 1, Protection 2 (Flaws: Limited to Ballistics) (2)
"Assorted Gear" (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Machine Gun +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+4 Kevlar), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (America, The World)- Though S.H.I.E.L.D. is supposedly an international organization, the President of the United States can disband it.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (101)

-These are the Elite S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents, the guys on the level with Maria Hill or Sharon Carter.

ERIC KOENIG- PL 7 (101):
-A German Anti-Nazi who joined the Howling Commandos (a pretty common War Trope was to show how evil the enemy was by proving that even good-natured COUNTRYMEN were against them). He went on to help form S.H.I.E.L.D., and even stuck with H.A.M.M.E.R. despite being a Fury loyalist- it turns out he was a mole from the inside, and helped to destabilize Osborn's group. He was killed in a giant battle against HYDRA.

DINO MANELLI- PL 7 (110): Presence 4, Expertise (Acting) 4 (+8), Languages (Italian, German) [9]
-Dino is an obvious riff on Dean Martin (one of the few times comics directly copied a then-popular figure almost completely into comic book form), and was the only guy there to speak Italian & German, which was imperative if you're a behind-enemy-lines team of soldiers. He left the comic once to twice (replaced by Koenig). Near as I can tell, he's still alive.
ISADORE "IZZY" COHEN- PL 7 (106): INT 3, Technology 7 (+10) [5]
-Isadore, one of the earliest comic book characters to be Jewish (most the creators were, but fears of Anti-Semitism kept a lot of that out of the funny books), was the team's resident Tech-Monkey, and still got involved in some later activities.
GABRIEL "GABE" JONES- PL 7 (104): Expertise (Music) 6 (+7) [3]
-Like Izzy, Gabe was an early inclusive character- one of comics' first blacks that wasn't a raging ethnic caricature. It was so unusual at the time that the initial colourist famously coloured him WHITE! He's not really anything unique other than that, though- he's Just Some Guy. He was killed by Gorgon in a HYDRA attack in modern times, but at least got to be in the Captain America film.
JASPER SITWELL- PL 7 (105): Persuasion 8 (+9) [4]
-A young pain-in-the-ass rookie, Jasper was super-eager to help, but kind of annoyed everyone with his youthful exuberance. He ended up mixed in with Tony Stark a lot of the time, but then "died" and was replaced by an LMD, then got brainwashed by HYDRA. He then became the top interrogator for S.H.I.E.L.D., and often hunted The Punisher. He is later killed by a brainwashed Black Widow.

NICK FURY, JR. (aka Marcus Johnson)- PL 7 (103): "The Infinity Formula" Immunity 1 (Aging) (Half-Effect), Regeneration 1 [2]
-A controversial addition, Nick Jr. was created to be the long-lost son of Nick Sr. because... well, he looks like a black guy, and the movies use a black guy as Nick Fury. Marvel does this sometimes when movies come out (see: Toad as a cooler-looking martial artist post-X-Men), and it's fairly condescending and silly (especially when he also LOST AN EYE) while also being rather prudent to these mythical "New Fans" who might get the comics because of the movies.

DUM DUM DUGAN (Timothy Alyosius Cadwaller Dugan)- PL 7 (107): Strength 4, Stamina 4 [6]
-The most iconic S.H.I.E.L.D. guy outside of Fury, and the only other one I knew of as a kid, Dugan wears the famous bowler hat. He was British at first, but was retconned into being from Boston. Generally, if you needed the group around, and Fury wasn't available (or would be too dominating to the plot), the writer used Dugan. Eventually they just gave up and used Fury or Hill for EVERYTHING.
PHIL COULSON- PL 7 (101):
-Coulson is a popular character introduced in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and got kind of a quirky running thing going as the nice-guy, non-intimidating government figure to contrast serious types like Fury. Naturally, he would reappear in Marvel Comics as a Generic Background Agent, and would return for the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series, being possibly the first example of a "Comic Book Death" in the Cinematic Universe.

There's also a handful of Howling Commandos who never joined S.H.I.E.L.D., such as:
Robert "Rebel" Ralson- a Southern boy who was a horseman and lasso-wielder, and later became a Senator. He appeared in many small roles over the years, but was killed at a weapons convention.
Jonathan "Junior" Juniper- A young man killed in the fourth issue of the original book, meaning he was one of the very first heroic comic book characters to get a legit death.
Percival "Pinky" Pinkerton- A British fancy-type, he is said to have died of cancer in more recent times. Stan Lee announced in the 2000s that Pinky was meant to be seen as homosexual, "but we didn't want to make a big thing of it".

S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENTS- SQUAD LEADERS
Role:
Elite Mooks
Group Affiliation: Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate
PL 6 (78)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+4)
Treatment 1 (+2)

Advantages: 
Benefit 1 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent), Equipment 6 (Gear), Languages (A Few), Ranged Attack

Equipment:
"S.H.I.E.L.D. Uniform" Protection 1, Protection 2 (Flaws: Limited to Ballistics) (2)
"Assorted Gear" (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +6 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Machine Gun +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+4 Kevlar), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (America, The World)- Though S.H.I.E.L.D. is supposedly an international organization, the President of the United States can disband it.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (78)

S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENTS- AGENTS
Role:
Mooks
PL 5 (55)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 1 (+3)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Technology 1 (+2)
Treatment 1 (+2)

Advantages: 
Benefit 1 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent), Equipment 6 (Gear)

Equipment:
"Assorted Gear" (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +6 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Machine Gun +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2 (+3 Kevlar), Fortitude +2, Will +1

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (55)

S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENTS- ROOKIES/STANDARD GUYS
Role:
Mooks
PL 4 (39)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+3)
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 3 (+3)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 1 (+1)
Treatment 1 (+1)

Advantages: 
Benefit 1 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent), Equipment 6 (Gear)

Equipment:
    AE: "Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
    AE: "Grenade" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (20)
"Assorted Gear" (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Pistol +2 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +2 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Machine Gun +1 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +2 (+3 Kevlar), Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (39)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (WICKED!! Elphaba! The Wizard! FIYEERRRRROOOOOO!!! Glinda!)

Post by catsi563 »

Don't forger Mockingbird. Bobbi was a shield agent for a while, taking on the huntress and mockingbird codenames while on mole hunts for Fury.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Nick Fury

Post by Jabroniville »

NICK FURY, DIRECTOR OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Sergeant Fury & His Howling Commandos #1 (May 1963)
Role: World War II Hero Turned '60s Super-Spy, Crabby Old Guy
PL 9 (176)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 7
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 9 (+13)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 11 (+15)
Expertise (Soldier) 10 (+14)
Insight 7 (+11)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Investigation 9 (+13)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 2 (+6)
Treatment 1 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+10)

Advantages: 
Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 6 (Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Connected, Diehard, Equipment 11 (Anything He Needs- Car With Flight, etc.), Fearless, Improved Critical (Gun), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Inspire, Languages 3 (Many), Leadership, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Skill Mastery (Spy), Taunt, Teamwork, Tracking, Ultimate Spy Skill, Well-Informed

Equipment:
"Machine Gun" Blast 7 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (20) -- (24)
  • AE: "Luger 9mm Parabellum" Blast 5 (10)
  • AE: "Semi-Automatic Walther PPK" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
  • AE: "Rifle" Blast 6 (Feats: Increased Range) (13)
"Flying Car" Police Cruiser With Flight 7 (250 mph) (25)
"S.H.I.E.L.D. Kevlar" Protection 1 (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Machine Gun +10 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+5 Kevlar), Fortitude +6, Will +10

Complications:
The Infinity Formula- Nick Fury once took regular doses of a formula designed to keep him from aging. Eventually, he no longer needed the doses for the power, but a blood transfusion took it away, and now he will age at a regular rate.
Motivation (Justice & World Peace)- Though a soldier and fighter, Fury is ultimately a protector.
Responsibility (America, The World)- Though S.H.I.E.L.D. is supposedly an international organization, the President of the United States can disband it. So Fury has more than one boss, despite his power.
Secret (Secrets Within Secrets)- There is always something going on at S.H.I.E.L.D., and Fury has his fingers in many pies. He often has to lie to his closest friends, and has gone underground against a compromised S.H.I.E.L.D. leadership before.
Disabled (One Eye)- Nick slowly lost vision in one eye due to a shrapnel burst in World War II, though this does not seem to affect him overly much. He might be easier to sneak up on on one side.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 74--37 / Advantages: 43 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (176)

The Origins of Fury:
-Nick Fury is probably the biggest-name Marvel guy I'd yet to build in 2e or 3e until I finally got around to him, actually- he just never quite fit into any of my scheduled "themed sets" before. I barely remembered him for my Marvel Cards set, and only because he's such a well-known, mundane guy that I barely realized he had a card in most of the sets. Nick started life as a Stan & Jack creation, a war-hero character for Marvel's new War Comic of the 1960s- the big era for those books was (unsurprisingly) right after World War II with DC's Sgt. Rock and others becoming big sellers, but Marvel had one called "The War Comic For Those Who HATE War Comics!" (which was apparently a lot of people or something), with the dumbest name ever- Sgt. Fury & His Howling Commandos. I've heard tell that it was a deliberate bet between Stan & Jack that Stan could give a comic the worst name ever and still make it sell.

-Within a couple years, Fury was turned into a James Bond/Man From U.N.C.L.E. rip-off leader of an U.N.C.L.E.-like organization with it's OWN cutesy acronyms (which has changed over time). This was because Spy stuff had become a HUGE business, with rip-offs sprouting up all over the place- U.N.C.L.E. has since gone on to become quite obscure (and had a movie remake that bombed really hard), but has some odd legacies in comic book acronym-heavy organizations (such as The Man From R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E. at Archie Comics).

-And imagine my surprise at learning the Commandos book stuck actually around for a LONG TIME with non-Stan & Jack creative teams, but few really remember any of it (War Comics were REALLY far gone by then, I think- Gary Friedrich apparently did some good stuff, though), and Fury went on to be defined by Jim Steranko, an up & coming artist who used a lot of '60s-style pop art & psychedelic imagery to make some of the greatest comic book covers I've ever seen- of the 1960s artists, his & Neal Adams' perhaps hold up the best- both of them could basically debut tomorrow and still be popular. The book used all kinds of whacky super-spy stuff, and eventually S.H.I.E.L.D. came to be the OFFICIAL government group in comics.

The Problem With Fury:
-They've done the "head command is compromised" story about a billion times thus far, and Nick's had cancelled series after cancelled series. One attempt by Larry Hama actually got turned into his run on G.I. Joe, which is crazy to think about. On one hand, S.H.I.E.L.D. has been a hard sell for decades... but we could have had Stalker, Snake-Eyes & Storm Shadow as permanent MARVEL characters! Currently Nick has found a half-black son just so they could finally have a regular-verse Fury who looks like Samuel L. Jackson's version in the movies (which is now by far the most famous and bad-ass. Much to the dismay of fans of the David Hasselhoff version). And some stupid Retcon had Nick Fury as a one-man army against threats so dire that nobody on Earth could know about them. He went about his business by... flying around in space and sniping people in the heads with a laser gun. Yes, it's as stupid as it sounds. Never mind that actual aliens invade Earth HUNDREDS OF TIMES, but how the frig is just flying around and sniping people gonna stop them? Okay, so it points out he also engages in planetary genocide and fomenting intergalactic wars to keep Earth safe, too.

-This ridiculous storyline actually culminated in Fury himself growing old after years of using the Infinity Formula and using Life Model Decoys as his agents, and he was "permanently" replaced by his son when it's revealed that he had killed Uatu the Watcher for not revealing valuable information, and has now been charged to act as "The Unseen" in Uatu's place.

Fury's Stats:
-Fury is a PL 9 Elite Super-Spy build, using mainly Skills & Advantages in the line of duty, along with some basic equipment (some of which can be very sci-fi, but those tend to be one-shots. Even the Flying Cars kind of don't show up that much, since it's a bit too cheesy now). None are better at the game than him, though a lot of elite agents & human-level fighters could still beat the crap out of him (I'm not giving him even odds against The Punisher or Elektra, for example).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:23 pm Some writers also mix it up by claiming that the U.N. gets some say in the matter, though American Presidents can get S.H.I.E.L.D. to enforce American law. It's very confusing.
It's almost like comic writers aren't very good with international politics. Or science. Or criminal law.. but I digress.

I liked Coulson as a supporting character in the movies. I don't think he's worked as well in a lead role on the TV show. They downplayed his snarky, "I know something you don't" attitude and replaced it with a much more generic super spy administrator type.
Jabroniville

Quake

Post by Jabroniville »

DAISY "QUAKE" JOHNSON
Created By:
Brian Michael Bendis & Gabriel Del'Otto
First Appearance: Secret War #2 (July 2004)
Role: Elite Agent, Super-Powered Agent
PL 10 (155)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Soldier) 7 (+8)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Investigation 6 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 4 (+6)
Treatment 1 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+10)

Advantages: 
Benefit 1 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent), Equipment 6 (Gear), Improved Critical (Gun), Improved Smash, Languages (A Few), Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Earthquake" Affliction 10 (Strength; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Prone/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) (50) -- [52]
  • AE: "Inner Vibrations" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (16)
  • AE: Vibration Blast 8 (Accurate) (Extras: Penetrating) (25)
Equipment:
"Assorted Gear" (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Machine Gun +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Earthquake +10 Area (+10 Affliction & Damage, DC 20 & 25)
Vibration Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Inner Vibrations +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+4 Kevlar), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 13 (155)

-Daisy is the metahuman daughter of Mr. Hyde, and can create Earthquakes and other Vibrations. She's a Fury loyalist and acts as Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., despite that role ALSO going to Maria Hill, because... I dunno. It's confusing. Oh, but Hill has since replaced her fully since she directed an illegal attack on Andrew Forson at A.I.M. Island. Her main flaw is that despite her cool powers she looks EXACTLY LIKE MARIA HILL, which will probably prevent her from gaining any kind of serious acclaim. She was since made one of numerous established characters turned into "NuHumans", and her powers are apparently the result of that.

-Daisy is an Elite Agent modified with a 52-point Power Array.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Maria Hill

Post by Jabroniville »

MARIA HILL
Created By:
Brian Michael Bendis & David Finch
First Appearance: The New Avengers #4 (March 2005)
Role: The Replacement (to Nick Fury)
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D.
PL 7 (120)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Agent) 12 (+14)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 3 (+5)
Technology 4 (+9) -- Flaws: Limited to Computers
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages: 
Benefit 5 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Director), Equipment 5 (Gear), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Rifle), Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages (Various), Ranged Attack 4

Equipment:
"Assorted Gear" (4)
"Automatic Rifle" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (17) -- (19)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Knife +6 (+3 Damage, DC 23)
Guns +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Automatic Rifle +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 Uniform), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (S.H.I.E.L.D.)
Reputation (Bitch)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (120)

-Maria Hill was a thoroughly unpleasant character in every book I saw featuring her. A replacement for Fury in S.H.I.E.L.D., she was in over her head; she was brutal, nasty and mean to absolutely every super-hero; and pulled off several dumb acts. The worst one? When she set a gang of Agents after CAPTAIN AMERICA, simply because he said he intended to not help her hunt down superhumans (using a law that HAD NOT YET BEEN PASSED). I mean, she was REALLY, REALLY horrible, basically being a female, military-running version of H.P. Gyrich. But then, I never cared for Fury as a person either, despite being a funny, cranky hard-ass (Hill was never really jokey).

-Hill goes on to become a big part of Tony Stark's attempt at fixing things, which turns disastrous when the Skrulls invade during Secret Invasion- you can also see various books attempt to "correct" her during this time, as her hostility seems to drop a bit, and the bizarre circumstances during Civil War (the attempted arrest of Cap) are rarely mentioned- she's simply a hard-assed, largely-unpleasant Military Woman, not the psychopath from before. This leads to an unfortunate lack of responsibility for her initial actions, and really burned many fans against her before she really got started- a problem, since she was a big part of their "non-comic" properties, such as Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the Cinematic Universe, both of which used this newer, non-Millar-is-an-idiot characterization. It really seems like this was what she was SUPPOSED to be (by the book and antagonistic, not insane), and Millar just screwed it up.

-However, Hill went off to the dark side again, in the Pleasant Hill story arc, which featured her disobeying the orders of her new boss (Captain America), who told her to get rid of a Cosmic Cube fragment they'd found. Instead, she used it to create an all-new Super-Villain Prison. The bits I saw of her in this book were rather weird, as the moody, intense, humorless woman of before was replaced with a smiling, nervous, sarcastic chick who attempted to joke her way out of several conversations with an annoyed Steve Rogers, doing stuff like "Great. You heard." with a big grin when Cap shows up. Seriously, it's an enormously-different character. The character hasn't had a major appearance in a while.

-Oddly, Hill was basically forgiven and simply placed back in as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D., and was merely bitchy and rude to The Avengers rather than hateful and murderous. And in this role, she's actually pretty fun, especially when Sunspot flirts with her relentlessly in Avengers World. Hill is basically a lesser Sharon Carter, matching PL 7 stats offensively & PL 7 defensively. She's capable, but would get her ass kicked by any other Street Level hero, or Nick Fury himself.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I liked when Agent Hill went undercover as a Canadian pop star.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I have to say I enjoyed Hill and Stark's bickering after Tony lost the Director job to Osborn. They made a cute couple, and it's always nice to see Tony called on his bullshit. I haven't really enjoyed anything Millar's written, and Civil War put me off Marvel for years.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

for those curious, the new build was Monica Rappaccini, and both Fury, Hill & Roxxon have some new commentary.
Jabroniville

SWORD

Post by Jabroniville »

S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation & Response Department)
Created By:
Joss Whedon & John Cassaday
First Appearance: The Astonishing X-Men #3 (Jan. 2005)
Role: S.H.I.E.L.D.... IN.... SPAAAAAAACCCE!!

Leaders:
Abigail Brand (though she has bosses in the shadows)
Brand & Henry Peter Gyrich (the eternal yes-man)

-It's funny how comics can still all of a sudden just introduce groups that have apparently existed for years- S.W.O.R.D. is the interplanetary version of S.H.I.E.L.D., playing nice with alien warlords and various interstellar races. Their head, Agent Brand, is a gigantic bitch to the X-Men early in Joss Whedon's great run on Astonishing X-Men, as she proves to be a yes-man and quite possible intensely immoral. She allowed Ord (from The Breakworld) to resurrect and torture Peter "Colossus" Nikolaevich for months in order to protect Earth from The Breakworld's planet-destroying weapon- she is unapologetic and announces that "there is no enemy I will not sleep with" to keep the Earth safe. In this sense, she's an utter pragmatist. S.W.O.R.D. themselves are basically like their Earth-based counterpart, in that they're enormous Jobbers who can be easily killed by any decent supervillain.

-Later writers make use of the group as well- they get their own short-lived series (only lasting for five issues, despite attempting an ongoing- it's sales were BEYOND awful), and their base at The Peak is wiped out during The Secret Invasion. The most notable member other than Agent Brand (and her co-honcho, H.P. Gyrich- one of comics' greatest unlikeable characters) is Sydren, a draconic-looking alien guy who takes the "Deanna Troi" role of "the Telepath who says the most obvious crap imaginable" ("I sense great anger" -- "We can't possibly be paying you enough"). S.W.O.R.D. Agents are pretty much identical to S.H.I.E.L.D. ones, but tend to only be PL 4-ish, as they're extra-Jobbery.
Jabroniville

Agent Brand

Post by Jabroniville »

AGENT BRAND (Abigail Brand)
Created By:
Joss Whedon & John Cassaday
First Appearance: The Astonishing X-Men #3 (Jan. 2005)
Role: Amoral Military Leader
Group Affiliations: S.W.O.R.D.
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 8 (+7)
Expertise (Alien Races) 11 (+14)
Expertise (Military) 5 (+8)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Perception 2 (+6)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Head of S.W.O.R.D.), Equipment 4 (Guns & Stuff), Languages 2 (Various Alien Tongues), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Burning Hands"
"Burning Hands" Damage 6 [6]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Features 1: May Speak Unpronouncable Tongues [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Burning Hands +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Guns +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+5 Armour), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Protecting The Earth)- "There is no enemy I will not sleep with" in order to protect Earth, is her mantra.
Relationship (Henry McCoy, The Beast)- Brand lusts after Hank McCoy, despite their early antagonistic relationship, because he resembles her father. 
Prejudice (Part-Alien)- Brand has an alien father.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 10 (117)

-Brand is much like Henry Peter Gyrich (ironic given that they hated each other)- a government agent out to be an antagonist to the super-heroes while STILL being theoretically on the side of the angels. She allows people to be tortured, and the entire Mutant Race to be nearly wiped out, just to prevent Earth from being destroyed by The Breakworld's planet-shattering bullet. She even admits that there's nothing she WON'T do to save Earth- so technically she's an antagonist that believes she's right- the best KIND of bad guy. She also lusts after The Beast for creepy reasons, which provides some of the funniest moments at the darkest points in Astonishing X-Men. She's an Elite Agent, but isn't up to a super-hero's level or anything.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.