Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Shinozaki-San

Post by Jabroniville »

KENJI SHINONZAKI
Dub Name:
Ken
Role: Platonic Best Friend
Hair Colour: Brown
PL 1 (11)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Interpose

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications (Early):
Relationship (Makoto Kino)- The two have a platonic friendship going back years- he is protective of her, and willing to endanger himself to save her life. In their personal lives, he is always there to pick her up after her many relationship pratfalls.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (11)

-This is a very, very famous character for the Sailor Jupiter fandom of the late 1990s- we are introduced to her friend Kenji, a completely-platonic buddy who helped her through the hard times of when "I was dumped for the umpteenth time". The Original Dub featured the song Rainy Day Man- a wonderfully sad little bit of pop music, played over a heartbreaking image of poor Mako happily looking out at a rainstorm, only to see her boyfriend casually shatter her heart and run off, letting her be soaked. Kenji appears like a White Knight with an umbrella, eventually cheering her up.

-And this, my friends, is the stuff of which SHIPPING is made. I must have read a half-dozen weak-ass "Sailor Jupiter Fan Fiction" bits featuring her trashing "Freddie" (the name given to one ex-boyfriend) and eventually hooking up with Ken. Naturally, the guy was a one-off character, invented solely for the anime, who never appeared again, despite being one of Mako's dearest friends (their relationship is said to be "closer than romance")- one of the continual things with this show is that the other girls don't get much in the way of supporting casts. Usagi openly doubts whether or not this kind of thing can really happen between a boy and a girl, but HAHAHAH NOPE WE NEVER SEE IF SHE'S RIGHT OR NOT.

-All we see of him in the present time is him drawing the attention of the Monster of the Week (a pink lion), being badly injured and requiring an emergency blood transfusion from Mako- he is comatose for most of the episode.

-Kenji is basically a Bystander, getting devoured by an actual combatant in a real fight.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissRo

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nephrite! Zoisite! Sailors Mercury, Mars & Jupiter!)

Post by MissRo »

I love how passionate you are about your fandoms, Jab! What would you say are your top 3?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MissRo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 am I love how passionate you are about your fandoms, Jab! What would you say are your top 3?
Oh geez- I dunno. Some of them come and go.

I mean, I'm way into comics, as you can see here. I can't imagine doing the addictive-statting thing with anything else.

Probably it would have to be Comics, Disney movies, and Sailor Moon, maybe? Wicked is up there of course, but is such a different thing than the others- a one-shot Broadway show (vs) TV series and an endless line of things? It's hard to judge that versus something that's more easily collectible, like a show.

Of course, you split the Disney stuff into their own movies, and it gets more difficult- it's obviously Beauty and the Beast & Frozen at the top of that mountain.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 pm No, I'm sorry, you're absolutely completely wrong. Zoisite is a beautiful woman. Most definitely a beautiful woman.
scc

Post by scc »

I only caught bits and pieces of Sailor Moon but I love Sailor Jupiter. I can't imagine why. :-)
Jabroniville

Kunzite

Post by Jabroniville »

KUNZITE
Dub Name:
Malachite (some legal issues prevented the first name, so they went with a similar mineral's name)
Name Translation: Green mineral
Role: The Dragon (though Beryl was kind of the Dragon in her OWN way...)
Main Uniform Colour: Gray
Hair Colour: White
PL 10 (211)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 4 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Tactics) 4 (+7)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidate 6 (+9)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Nega-Blasts) 2 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Nega-Blasts), Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Ritualist, Taunt

Powers:
"Dark Kingdom Powers"
Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30) -- [36]
  • AE: "Boomerang Attack" Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 7) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (27)
  • AE: "Drain Energy" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Stunned & Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Extra Condition) (24)
  • AE: Damage 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area- 30ft.Line) (26)
  • AE: Teleport 12 (24)
  • AE: Move Object 8 (16)
  • AE: Deflect 10 (10)
"Giant Dome" Create 12 [24]

Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Morph (Humanoids) 3 [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Weaken +10 (+10 Ranged Weaken, DC 20)
Area Blast +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (Gather Energy for the Dark Kingdom)- Kunzite is the most stable and loyal of Queen Beryl's Generals.
Relationship (Zoisite)- The two are in love- Kunzite is the elder, and he cares deeply for his trainee. When he is killed by Beryl for failing, Kunzite never recovers.
Rivalry (Prince Endymion)- As the last two Generals left, they feel a great deal of enmity and personal rivalry, especially since Endymion is why Zoisite is dead.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 18 (211)

-Kunzite was the elite of the Shitennou, sort of the "Final Boss" type of guy before Queen Beryl, especially since all the others died before he took command (funny how villains always send the weakest guys out first). He was also SUPER-awesome looking, with that stark white hair and that bitchin' cape- dude had style for DAYS. In the anime, he was in love with Zoisite, and actively schemed against Nephrite, but despite being heartbroken over his beloved's death, he was forced by loyalty, pride and responsibility to still do Queen Beryl's bidding. He kind of had the least to do emotionally with the Senshi, interacting more with his fellow Dark Kingdomites, and he holds the rare distinction of being one of the few major enemies actually KILLED by the Sailors over the entire history of the show. Most villains were either "healed" from being evil and thus turned good, or simply killed by the schemes of their fellow villains (an untrustworthy lot, this bunch). He stood at the final gate to the Arctic base of Beryl, throwing Energy Boomerangs around to kill the Senshi, but Sailor Moon's Moon Healing Escalation reflected one of them back at him, stabbing him through the side. Calling out Zoisite's soul to guide him into the afterlife, he vaporized, refusing to say "Refresh!" and be purified by the energy.

-I always thought Kunzite (or Malachite, the cooler name, which was in the Original Dub for reasons that are still vaguely known- might be legal-related, as "kunzite" is trademarked or something) was a really cool general, though Nephlite was my fave. He's just so... EPIC and proper. Less direct menace than the manly Neph, less wussy than the other two, he had his sweet cape, his noble appearance, and he didn't get all emotional and freaky-outy all the time. One of the more powerful moments in the series is at his death- he cries out for Zoisite, promising that he's coming for her/him.

-Kunzite is the leader of the Four Generals, but didn't do as much fighting (especially in melee), and he's the only general actually KILLED by Senshi, so he's not PL 11 or anything. But he proved rather dangerous at points, however- in one of his first big fights, he creates a monstrous Energy Dome over the Sailors, then throws balls of energy down onto them from the top. Later, he uses an Energy Boomerang that threatens to kill them all. He's still equally dangerous at range, and his Shapeable Area Boomerang was quite lethal, hitting several people at a time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

A quick Wikipedia look up on Kunzite suggests that Tiffany's might hold some kind of trademark:

Kunzite[edit]
Kunzite is a pink to lilac colored gemstone, a variety of spodumene with the color coming from minor to trace amounts of manganese. Some (but not all) kunzite used for gemstones has been heated to enhance its color. It is also frequently irradiated to enhance the color.

Kunzite was discovered in 1902, and was named after George Frederick Kunz, Tiffany & Co's chief jeweler at the time, and a noted mineralogist. It has been found in Brazil, US, Canada, CIS, Mexico, Sweden, Western Australia, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

One notable example of kunzite used in jewellery is in the Russian Palmette tiara and necklace worn by the Duchess of Gloucester.[8]

Also, I have to wonder if there is a Pucman/Pacman thing going on there. Might be easy to say the name humorously wrong.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

One interesting thing about the Generals is that the Sailor Moon RPG shows the spirits of the Generals appearing to Mamoru to give him advice, somehow. I'm guessing they were using the manga plotpoint of them originally serving him.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've got to say, Jupiter was always my favorite of the Sailor Scouts. After all, she had the most "talent".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I know nothing of Sailor Moon and I am finding Sailor Jupiter clearly most compelling. And I got that from just looking at pictures.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

ah yes, the infamous "I have the most talent!" episode:
Episode #56: The wonderful Snow White episode, where the girls take part in the play. Since Mamoru's stuck being the director of a play, the girls come up with the subject matter and cast themselves in it. And right out of the gate we get an incident that became infamous- the girls are debating just who gets to play the lead (Rei because she came up with the idea; Usagi because she's "cute and adorable"), at which point Makoto simply says that "My breasts are the biggest, so I should be Snow White" Despite this FLAWLESS LOGIC, the people in charge of the Original Dub changed it to "I have the most acting talent", but kept the boob-gesture and a little "boing" sound- therefore, Sailor Moon fans would forever-after refer to Mako's "Big Talent" as a clever euphemism.

Here, it's dubbed as "after all, I have the biggest boobs out of all of you." with the smuggest tone possible. Then says "want to take measurements?" Later, she shoves them RIGHT INTO CAMERA, practically in Rei's face (Rei exasperatedly looks right at 'em, too). How did this girl not immediately become the most popular character again? All the girls end up arguing over the role (even Ami, who figures that her extreme studying means she'll need the role that involves her being asleep for a chunk of the thing, so she has fewer lines to memorize), but Natsumi pops in, announces her candidacy, then rigs the straw-drawing so she gets to play the lead. Naturally, as Mamoru's the Prince, she wants to do LOTS of practice on the kissing scene.

Alas, the second the play opens (like, before they even get on the stage), a Lady Clown Cardian shows up (all because Ail was pissed he didn't get to play the Prince) and starts attacking. The Sailors immediately transform, throw out some epic smack-talk (Mercury demands the time back that she lost to studying; Mars talks about her red high heels), and basically kick its ass in three seconds (I notice that ALL FIVE Sailors basically overwhelm almost any foe). An wails about doing all that hard work for nothing (and having her chance to kiss Mamoru stolen), while Ail just pouts "I REALLY wanted to be the Prince." Amazeballs episode.

(Monster Powers: Terrifying Clown, Umbrella- Energy Drain & Electrified Snare, Spikes Shot From Hat, Giant Red Ball).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The fights probably wouldn't be one-sided if the villains actually sent more than one monster at a time, but alas, they must conform to the "Monster of the Week" format. Of course, if I was running a campaign, I'd just send more than one monster so they'd be more of a threat.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:25 pm The fights probably wouldn't be one-sided if the villains actually sent more than one monster at a time, but alas, they must conform to the "Monster of the Week" format. Of course, if I was running a campaign, I'd just send more than one monster so they'd be more of a threat.
The funny thing is all the times the villains have the heroes CLEARLY OVERPOWERED, yet just run off as soon as their Monster fails. At several points, you see Kunzite, Endymion, Ail or An there, perfectly capable of helping, yet they just watch the Monster lose, get mad, and then run away. Because of course even though they can and should just fly in and beat the Sailors (Kunzite solos them many times), the plot doesn't insist they do so yet.

I added in a bit about "Jupiter's Talent" to her bio. Can't believe I left off that mention this time around :).
Ken

Post by Ken »

Another series I missed out since it became big in America after I became an adult. *sigh*
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 pm The funny thing is all the times the villains have the heroes CLEARLY OVERPOWERED, yet just run off as soon as their Monster fails. At several points, you see Kunzite, Endymion, Ail or An there, perfectly capable of helping, yet they just watch the Monster lose, get mad, and then run away. Because of course even though they can and should just fly in and beat the Sailors (Kunzite solos them many times), the plot doesn't insist they do so yet.
That reminds me of MY high school anime obession, Voltron. "My robeast died. I and my world-shaking fleet of fighters and my massive battleship had best turn around and run despite Voltron bleeding fire and smoke from a dozen spots in his armor."
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.