Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Arcanna! Nighthawk! Whizzer! Lamprey!)

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:58 pm Oh, and on this one Image the design we can see was used for Remnant was originally called "Wild Card". So, yeah, Remnant started out as a Joker pastiche.
To me at least, the angles of his face alone are a good indication of that. Look at how long it is.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Arcanna! Nighthawk! Whizzer! Lamprey!)

Post by Ares »

Redstone's an interesting case, as he was clearly a powerhouse (likely the second strongest guy on his world), but we never really got a feel for how he stacked up against Hyperion, because poor Hype was basically hamstrung from the word go.

To start with, Hyperion was blind at that point, relying on special glasses to help him see, but it was a very unclear and unreliable vision. This hampered his combat effectiveness severely, since he was worried about accidentally hurting someone. So he initially had a hard time even connecting with Redstone.

Second, when Hype did finally start landing hits, Inertia took the power of said hits and transfered them to Power Princess, so that she got hit basically with three full power hits from Hyperion back to back, taking her out of the fight. Incidentally, this to me cements Zarda as a Class 50-mid-tier brick. Anyone weaker likely would have been reduced to a fine mist, anyone stronger (like Ben Grimm), would have been hurt but not completely incapacitated.

After that, we see Redstone having Hyperion in a Full Nelson, holding him while Hyperion comments about the apparent source of Redstone's strength. Hype finally decides to cut loose . . . and then Lamprey swoops in and steals his strength.

Add into that Hyperion's lack of skill, reluctance to cut loose and the guilt he felt over killing his evil doppleganger, and Redstone never really got his fight with Hyperion. Which was funny, because Redstone seemed very proud of his performance (which to be fair, lasting any time against a Class 100 powerhouse is something to be proud of) despite the massive amounts of help and one-sided advantages on his side.

Makes you feel bad for poor Hyperion there.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Hyperion

Post by Jabroniville »

HYPERION (Mark Milton)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & John Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #85 (Feb. 1971)
Role: Flying Brick, Supermanalogue, Team Powerhouse, Team Leader
Alternate Company Equivalent Of: Superman (Most Powerful Being Ever, Flying Brick with Special Senses & Energy-Vision)
Fate: Still alive and on the team.
Group Affiliations: The Squadron Supreme
PL 13 (228)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 1 (+3)
Expertise (Current Events) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Journalist) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Atomic Vision) 4 (+10)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Interpose, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Flying Brick"
Power-Lifting 4 (50,000 tons) [4]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 19) [23]
Flight 11 (4,000 mph) [22]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [1]
Senses 4 (Infra & Extended Vision, Extended Hearing 2) [4]

"Atomic Vision" Blast 14 [28]

"Super-Strength Feats" (AE of Strength Damage) [2]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (16)
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Both Grounded) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Groundstrike +13 Area (+13 Affliction, DC 23)
Shockwave +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Atomic Vision +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +15 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications: 
Vulnerable (Mind Control)- The Squadron Supreme have proven themselves very easy to take over mentally for some reason, as it has happened several times. This may be random chance, or an actual weakness.
Responsibility (The Utopia Program)- The Squadron has founded a program designed to cure all the world's ills- Crime, Poverty, Disease, War... even Death itself. Some members are more dedicated than others, but they all strive to help.
Power Loss & Vulnerable (Argonite Radiation)- Argonite is capable of rendering Hyperion completely powerless. A bullet constructed out of the substance would kill him easily, and gaseous forms of it will mess with his super-senses.
Disabled (Blinded)- Hyperion has lost nearly all of his vision as a result of his battle with his evil doppelganger. He requires the use of a pair of garish green goggles to see at all. Should he lose them in a fight, he will be Visually Unaware.
Responsibility (Overwhelming Power)- Hyperion is so powerful that he dare not strike another human being- even against the Institute of Evil he refused to hit them, and most of them have super-powers! His power is such that he is unable to use Power Attacks, nor Extra Effort to do more damage than +17 to a living creature less powerful than he is.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 94 / Defenses: 13 (228)

-Among the first non-litigious Supermanalogues in all of fiction (all the others got sued), Hyperion's a pretty old-school concept. The Squadron's leader, he was a core character of the book, but was frequently pushed to the background as the myriad 11 other Squadroners had their own little foibles to deal with. Nonetheless, most things centred around him, and everyone gave him respect- his personal shining moment came when the "Evil Hyperion" ended up in the Squadron's universe, and Good Hype had to beat the hell out of him. The relationship between him and Kyle (aka Nighthawk) was a major factor in the series as well- in fact, Nighthawk's decision not to kill Hyperion because of their friendship resulted in the final battle in issue 12 where nearly half the combined forces were killed in action.

-Hyperion's power levels were such that in the series, nobody but the arrogant Redstone even pretended they could beat him in a fair fight. His battle against the Evil Hyperion (like I said, it was the most Hy did except for the beginning & end of the run) leveled Mount Rushmore (called "President's Mountain" on Earth-712), and none of the other Squadron members could even keep up with them, much less help out. So in the final battle, the Redeemers blinded Hy, then had Redstone grapple him while the crazy Lamprey flew in and drained his powers away. That was basically the ONLY way anyone was stopping him- his punches (absorbed by Inertia) were so devastating they nearly killed Power Princess.

-Hyperion still leads the Squadron in later books- he is discovered to be an Eternal by Makkari in the Quasar series, and eventually cures himself of his blindness. He later reforms the team on their own Earth, helping to expose the evil government that they themselves created. The character has not reappeared since about 2000 or so, having been supplanted by the Supreme Power version, then the modern-day Hickman one.

-Hyperion is roughly equivalent in power to Thor, Hercules and other super-heavyweights in the Marvel Universe, packing extreme power (+17 Unarmed Damage, one more than either God) in a less-skilled package, making this guys 'only' PL 12.5. Still, though, his power is frightening, and he's easily enough to take out any Squadroner or Instituter by himself. Note that Hyperion does NOT possess Power Attack, and in fact has a Complication disallowing it almost entirely (his only use of it was against the Evil Hyperion, an extreme circumstance). Hyperion has Superman-like powers, including Senses and "Atomic Vision", but at lesser-levels than Supes himself (though I have seen him fly unassisted in space, so he's got Life Support). In a fight, he's enough to easily fight Thor, Hercules or The Hulk, only being a half-PL below most of their baseline levels.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Evil Hyperion

Post by Jabroniville »

HYPERION II (Zhib-Ran, aka "The Evil Hyperion")
Created By:
Roy Thomas & John Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #69 (Oct. 1969)
Role: Flying Brick, Supermanalogue
Alternate Company Equivalent Of: Superman (Most Powerful Being Ever, Flying Brick with Special Senses & Energy-Vision)
Fate: Killed in battle by the Good Hyperion
Group Affiliations: The Squadron Sinister, The Squadron Supreme
PL 14 (221)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 11 (+13)
Investigation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Atomic Vision) 6 (+12)
Technology 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown

Powers:
"Flying Brick"
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 19) [23]
Senses 4 (Infra & Extended Vision, Extended Hearing 2) [4]

"Atomic Vision" Blast 14 [28]

• AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (16)
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Both Grounded) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Atomic Vision +12 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +15 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Thundra, Power Princess)- Hyperion is attracted to women in his own "weight class", and easily falls for them. He will do anything for them, including the murder of innocent senior citizens.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 94 / Defenses: 11 (221)

-The Evil Hyperion came first, basically created from whole-cloth by The Grandmaster to fight The Avengers. It was later revealed that he was probably "peeking" at Earth-712's Squadron, and based this character off of "Mark Milton". He is defeated when Thor miniaturizes him (??) and traps him in a glass sphere. He shows up in the Defenders book a couple of times, then reappears in Avengers, fighting Thor alongside Thundra- he carried a bit of a torch for her, but she soon returned to her future timeline.

-Gruenwald actually got some use out of him, bringing the Evil version it via Master Menace (who explained that he was literally an inorganic "duplicate" of Mark Milton), and sending him after the Squadron. Problem was, Evil Hyperion fell in love with Power Princess, then betrayed Menace, deciding to stay on- he murdered Zarda's elderly husband to "win" her, seduced her, and was killed in revenge by a returned Good Hyperion, who broke past all his prior limits to do it. Evil Hype died, confessing his sins to Zarda (whom he did truly love), creating yet another set of ruined lives in the series. His only reappearance is during the time the Grandmaster tried to take control of Death's realm in Contest of Champions- Evil Hype fought Wonder Man, nearly effortlessly killing the "Always Just Below Thor" hero.

-A newer Evil Hyperion is made when the Grandmaster reforms a new Squadron Sinister- coming from the Microverse, he actually survives the battle when Baron Zemo beats the Grandmaster, and disappears.

-Evil Hyperion is more or less a dumber, more vicious version of Good Hyperion, who is nonetheless a higher PL, since he's a much better fighter, used to fighting heavyweights like Thor on a semi-regular basis. Hyperion actually mentions several times that THIS version has had more time to "cut loose". This makes him PL 13.5 on offense, bringing him into direct line with my most powerful Thor build, and leaves him beyond even regular Hyperion- it's part of what makes it so impressive that Good Hype managed to BEAT him. Powerful? This guy (OK, his reanimated Legion of the Unliving form) pushed Wonder Man THROUGH A PLANET).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nighthawk! Whizzer! Lamprey! Redstone! Hyperion!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So yeah, for the "numbering" of the guys, I'm counting the Squadron Supreme members as the "first" (ie. Hyperion I, Dr. Spectrum I), because they came first, in-universe. So in spite of debuting in the comics BEFORE the Supreme team, the Squadron Sinister guys are thus "Hyperion II", "Dr. Spectrum II", etc.

With all the Squadronners thus posted, all I have left is a re-post of the new Hyperion, plus notes on Professor Imam and the Nth Man, who I basically ignored until realizing JUST NOW I should at least mention them. Then of course I realize that the Nth Man is ANOTHER character from The List, under three different names! So I actually have to do a rare thing- build a guy the day BEFORE I post him :)!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Re-reading Death of a Universe is pretty re-affirming that it wasn't that great. The scope was pretty big, but the situations is just so HOPELESS (and the heroes so ill-equipped to handle the problem) that it becomes just a big slog. You watch Redstone have the most pointless death ever (essentially dying on lift-off, after acting like an ass for a few pages), Inertia turning into pink mist, all of the characters basically talk about how helpless and wasted are (Whizzer mourns losing his family, Hyperion decides to go out saving one last person since it's all he can do, Lady Lark sings to the Entity while begging for the embrace of heaven with her Archer), Master Menace failing and exiling himself- defeated. Menace actually appears in the thing (and affects the plot) more than Hyperion, which given that Menace isn't really a developed character, is a bit of a problem.

The Scarlet Centurion shows up a bit, and it's a bit fun seeing him at once being aloof to everything (since it's just his hologram, and he's in no danger), and trying to come up with a solution. And he really TRIES- his allies just can't get it done. And he abandons the Squadron to their fate- the ending narration making it clear that he can't help them, and will never see them again. That part at least works- Gruenwald's words state that the Centurion dies 211 years later- wealthy and powerful beyond anyone else in history- but dies still wanting, and knowing that he bailed at the last second because he was afraid of what would happen if he actually witnessed the end of time- "a failure of nerve" that haunts him forever.

The use of the Nth Man is a bit weird, because he's literally a non-character here. Just a Big Cosmic Whatever that does nothing interesting but eat a sun- no personality, no nothing. Professor Imam manages to communicate with him, but only gives a mini-origin that doesn't go into much detail, and for a guy who wasn't even that interesting in the first place! Then he just switches places with Arcanna's baby and everything's done- the baby is lost to his mother, and now the Nth Man is the Wizard Supreme of Earth.
Ken

Re: Evil Hyperion

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:51 amexplained that he was literally an inorganic "duplicate" of Mark Milton
An inorganic "duplicate" of a Supermananlogue? What a bizarro idea.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 am Re-reading Death of a Universe is pretty re-affirming that it wasn't that great. The scope was pretty big, but the situations is just so HOPELESS (and the heroes so ill-equipped to handle the problem) that it becomes just a big slog.
To me, that suggests that it might have been intended as a critique of the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:40 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 am Re-reading Death of a Universe is pretty re-affirming that it wasn't that great. The scope was pretty big, but the situations is just so HOPELESS (and the heroes so ill-equipped to handle the problem) that it becomes just a big slog.
To me, that suggests that it might have been intended as a critique of the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Which is weird, since you couldn't really get more different than CoIE and DoaU. Crisis, for all of the trouble it caused after and all the deaths that happened, was a love letter to the DCU, celebrating its history by having the most powerful villain ever show up to destroy the worlds the good guys protected . . . and fail. Over and over again, as the heroes use every resource to save the day, until they pull out a final victory with the heroic sacrifice of several heroes.

It's one reason why I disliked both Infinite Crisis and Flashpoint/The Nu-52. Infinite Crisis brought back the multiverse and some Pre-Crisis continuity, which I loved, but it spit on the heroes of CoIE and disrespected the great story it told. Flashpoint/The Nu-52 was an even harsher reboot than Crisis had been, but without any of the grandeur that made the story work.

By contrast, DoaU was a depressing story that felt longer the Crisis, because it was the heroes failing and dying pointlessly, and ultimately having no real impact on what happened. In Crisis, the heroes won due to their efforts. In Death, the heroes survived thanks to dumb luck. It was just one pointless failure after another.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:00 pm
Which is weird, since you couldn't really get more different than CoIE and DoaU.
Didn't say it was a good critique. ;)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Which is weird, since you couldn't really get more different than CoIE and DoaU.
Didn't say it was a good critique. ;)
True! :D

Jabroniville

Hyperion (Avengers)

Post by Jabroniville »

HYPERION III (Marcus Milton)
Created By:
Jonathan Hickman
First Appearance: The Avengers #1 (Dec. 2012)
Role: Flying Brick, Supermanalogue, Team Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: The Squadron Supreme, The Avengers
Avengers Grade: C-Level (new, but a big deal)
PL 14 (271)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+6)
Perception 12 (+16)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Atomic Vision) 4 (+12)
Technology 6 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Flying Brick"
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 19) [22]
Senses 9 (Infra & Extended Vision 5, Microscopic Vision, Extended Hearing 2) [9]

"Atomic Vision" Blast 16 [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Atomic Vision +12 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +16 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility (Interference)- Hyperion often debates with himself over just how much he should interfere with the affairs of mortals.
Relationship (Those Tiger-Striped Kids)- Hyperion has taken a fatherly role of those odd kids who don't need to sleep, and learn super-quickly.
Relationship (Thor)- It's the first or second-most homoerotic relationship of The Avengers. They're like Frodo/Sam levels, here.

Total: Abilities: 116 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 102 / Defenses: 15 (271)

-Yeah... if you want to make it REALLY FREAKING OBVIOUS that you're jealous of another company's characters, you can't go wrong with someone like Hyperion. What's sad is that The Squadron Supreme were a neat, unique, friendly "jab" at DC Comics, in that it was SUPER-obviously an homage/parody (especially since the first group was the evil Squadron Sinister). Later issues basically took the concept and ran with it, establishing their alternate universe, and Mark Gruenwald had the run of a lifetime on their 12-issue Limited Series. But this? This just comes off as cloying and desperate- like Hickman was SO JEALOUS of DC for having Superman that he wanted to create his own. That's why I believe that Supermanalogues (especially the REALLY obvious ones) should under no circumstances be regular characters- it goes from homage to straight plagiarism, and makes both Hickman & Marvel look bush-league, despite the occasional high spots in his run. Keep in mind that he's FAR from the only Supermanalogue at Marvel- they've copied the exact same power-set so many times that it's not only lost all meaning, but it just looks pathetic.

-This new Hyperion is one unknown to readers, an Eternal from a Universe that died- a victim of the "Incursions" that have been afflicting the Multiverse during Hickman's run. He's a bit of a philosophical sort, debating with himself his purpose in the universe (ie. should he get involved TOO much, and stifle the growth of humanity? stuff like that). He's a good bit more competent than the standard Hyperion, who often struggled against superhuman opponents due to inexperience in dealing with people at his strength-level, but this guy? He one-shotted TERMINUS. He & Thor soon start growing beards and hanging around each other constantly, talking about their inseparable bond and everything, and I'll be damned if it isn't the gayest thing I've ever read, and I've read actual Gay Comics! Seriously, Hickman is 100% incapable of writing male friendships that don't come off as Sam/Frodo- both Cannonball & Sunspot (Sunspot has his chefs make Cannonball's food, and both act like inseparable fratboys) and Iron Man & Captain America act much like this, too. It's very odd. Nobody in his Fantastic Four came off this way.

-In any case, this Hyperion is an Eternal, sent to Earth from a dying world. Raised Superman-style to have human morals, he becomes a superhero, but is the only survivor of his world's Incursion with another. He joins the all-new Avengers to fight Ex Nihilo and the Mapmakers and whomever, who are trying to destroy reality. However, he is ultimately kind of lost in the herd of Hickman's GIGANTIC Avengers roster (the major problem with that team), and so he's a bit forgettable after his early stuff. He ends up as one of many "Orphans" left on Earth after all the other realities were wiped out, and so he forms a NEW Squadron Supreme from these folks, and hunts down & executes Namor for his part in destroying these places. This newer, darker Squadron is thus feared by Earth's other superteams, but nothing much comes of the book, and it was cancelled without too much hooplah- Namor was eventually brought back to life once they realize their mistake, and the team splits up with nobody having really made any kind of a connection with each other. A big disappointment, really. Hyperion decides to live life as a normal truck driver for a while, disillusioned with his role in society.

-This version of Hyperion is incredibly powerful (again- one-shotted Terminus), but mostly along the same lines as the other Hyperions.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I will forever defend Superman wearing the red trunks as part of his costume, but I can't help but snicker at Hyperion wearing what I can only call his Atomic Diaper.

I did think it was kind of cute that they essentially gave their Superman-expy Captain Marvel's costume, complete with the over the shoulder cape. The most recent Avengers cartoon did some nice things with the uniform that made the comparison even more obvious.

Jabroniville

Professor Imam

Post by Jabroniville »

PROFESSOR IMAM
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Paul Neary
First Appearance: Captain America #341 (Sept. 1986)
Alternate Company Equivalent Of: Doctor Fate (basically; a Mage and former ally/teammate)
Role: Mysterious Wizard

-Professor Imam was just a means to an end in Squadron Supreme (though he shows up only for the Captain America crossover issue)- he teleports Nighthawk to Marvel Earth-616 in order to find allies against the Squadron. Some backstory indicates that he was a member of the Golden Agency, a Golden Age (hey now) team that also featured American Eagle (Blue Eagle's father) and Power Princess. By modern times, he had become a blindfolded recluse, keeping a mystical "Third Eye" on the dealings of Earth, but never interfering directly (just guiding Nighthawk along in his journeys).

-He features more in Death of a Universe, promising to train Arcanna's infant son Benjamin as his successor as "Wizard Supreme" (the equivalent of Sorcerer Supreme). He warns the team of the Nth Man's arrival, and tries to engage the Cosmic Being, only to suffer a heart attack and die in the process. This allows Benjamin to become his true successor, and thus the baby swaps places with the Nth Man, who becomes a normal man.

-His powers are kept deliberately vague, but involve a lot of mystical senses, telepathy, and blindsight. He can also easily help people traverse dimensions.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Which is weird, since you couldn't really get more different than CoIE and DoaU. Crisis, for all of the trouble it caused after and all the deaths that happened, was a love letter to the DCU, celebrating its history by having the most powerful villain ever show up to destroy the worlds the good guys protected . . . and fail. Over and over again, as the heroes use every resource to save the day, until they pull out a final victory with the heroic sacrifice of several heroes.

It's one reason why I disliked both Infinite Crisis and Flashpoint/The Nu-52. Infinite Crisis brought back the multiverse and some Pre-Crisis continuity, which I loved, but it spit on the heroes of CoIE and disrespected the great story it told. Flashpoint/The Nu-52 was an even harsher reboot than Crisis had been, but without any of the grandeur that made the story work.

By contrast, DoaU was a depressing story that felt longer the Crisis, because it was the heroes failing and dying pointlessly, and ultimately having no real impact on what happened. In Crisis, the heroes won due to their efforts. In Death, the heroes survived thanks to dumb luck. It was just one pointless failure after another.
Which was kind of the point. From what I read in Marvel Age at the time, that was what Gru was going for. He was telling a story that hadn't been, and normally can't be, told in the comics medium. What do the world's greatest heroes do when they are just overwhelmed. Enjoy the story or not, yeah, it was deliberately the story of the heroes losing.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.