Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nighthawk! Whizzer! Lamprey! Redstone! Hyperion!)

Post by Ken »

Imam's ancient tower base, in particular, and his title "Professor" (on top of his status as the supreme mystic and his role in the Golden Agency), smacked of Doctor Fate.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Nth Man

Post by Jabroniville »

THE NTH MAN (Dr. Thomas Lightner, aka Blacksun, Mysterium)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Ron Wilson
First Appearance: Marvel Two-In-One #21 (Nov. 1976)
Role: Mad Scientist-Turned-Cosmic Being
Group Affiliations: None
PL 12 (190)
STRENGTH
4/12 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+12)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 7 (+12)

Advantages: 
Power Attack

Powers:
"Black Hole Powers"
"Absorb Heat & Light"
Environment 8 (2 miles) (Cold 2) Linked to Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 2 miles +10) [42]

"Gravity Well"
Move Object 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Towards Him) [36]
Enhanced Strength 8 [16]
Protection 7 [7]

"Bend Matter & Energy Around Him" Enhanced Defenses 6 [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Enhanced +6 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Gravity Well +12 Area (+12 Move, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (+12 Bend Matter, DC 16-22), Parry +6 (+12 Bend Matter, DC 16-22), Toughness +4 (+12 Gravity Powers), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications: 
Motivation (Power)- Lightner wishes to regain his old powers.
Power Loss (All Powers)- Lightner's powers are known to fail against the Aquarian's Null Field.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 113 / Defenses: 4 (190)

-huh- so the Nth Man actually came from the mainstream Marvel-verse. I forgot all about that. So this guy rebuilt his father's device, but the energies from it merged with his body, giving him the powers of a black hole. As Blacksun, he fought The Thing, Human Torch & Doc Savage (???), but collapsed after absorbing too much energy from the stars around him. He reverted to human form, but when the Thing tried to bring him to Dr. Donald Blake (aka Thor), a black hole threw both of them to the Heliopolitan realm of Seth, where Blake had to save Lightner's life.

-Lightner was later hired by Roxxon to sabotage Project: Pegasus, but he tried to use a device to reactivate his powers- this transformed him into the Nth Man- a "living interdimensional vortex". Wundarr the Aquarian interceded, depowering him. However, he was transported to Earth-712, home of the Squadron Supreme. There, he switched places with Arcanna's son Benjamin (the Wizard Supreme), and charged the Squadron with fixing the damage they did to their world by allowing the Global Directorate to use the Squadron's "benefits" to mankind (especially the Behavior Modification Device) to take it over. As a mysterious, trenchcoated figure, the previously evil villain (now good... I guess?) was now a pastiche of The Phantom Stranger, occasional ally of the Justice League of America.

-As Blacksun, Lightner had a vast "Gravity Well" that could create an Environment/Concealment attack that absorbs all heat & light in the area, in addition to Class 100-ish stats. As the Nth Man, he becomes a "Sentient Singularity", a Universal Threat that can wipe out infinite dimensions by absorbing them into himself- such a thing is basically a Damage 30 effect of near-limitless scope, putting him on a level with Galactus, Eternity and others! Using these powers, he was unstoppable to the Squadron Supreme, and even attempting to hold him back caused Inertia to revert to a hideous red mist! As Mysterium... he's now a Magician, because when he swapped places with Arcanna's baby boy, he gained the child's potential as Wizard Supreme.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Most Poorly-Run Game Ever

Post by Jabroniville »

Just for fun, sometimes I like to pretend like super-hero teams are being played by a group of gamers, and we're just reading story-versions of their roleplay sessions. It's very amusing to see how much of this stuff links up to real gamer behavior. I figure that a twelve-man group is too much, so the GM would allow the players the sometimes-ill-advised choice of each playing two characters. First off- A bunch of guys want to play the Justice League, but the GM won't allow it. So instead they all just create wannabes, annoying him. The game's concept is "heroes that fix a broken world", and there are seven players.

Hyperion & Power Princess- The GM's best friend- the other players immediately complain about how much power he got compared to the rest. "PL 13? You gotta be sh*tting me, GM!"
Dr. Spectrum & Arcanna- The group's token Munchkin who wants as many powers as possible- he takes the Magic build and a Green Lantern rip-off for this purpose. "Permeate? WTF- that power doesn't make any sense with a Create Object array!" "I can explain it! Just... gimme a sec!").
Tom Thumb & Amphibian- The obsessive "Role Player". Often goes off by himself to solo or debate things.
Golden Archer & Lady Lark- A Lustful Nerd who has a weird idea of what the 'ideal man' is like, and he created a slutty girlfriend for his own character.
Nuke- A really annoying "kill everything!" type of kid who the others are just getting to know.
Blue Eagle & Whizzer- Griefer who just likes to be contrary and extreme in his opinions. Also a Flash fanboy.
Nighthawk is just the GM's character, meant to "lead" the team along.

First adventure: The whole party gets behind Hype's player's insane idea to just take over the entire world and 'fix' it. Everyone except the "RPer" immediately agrees, and he's out-voted- "Nighthawk" leaves the group in frustration after the GM desperately tries to keep everyone from going off the rails this early.
Second adventure: "Nuke" freaks out repeatedly, using excessive force and trying to kill everyone. The other players try to reign him in, but he threatens to KILL "TOM THUMB" just because he rolls poorly on his "Cure Cancer" DC 50 skill check, and "Dr. Spectrum" gets mad and kills his character in a fight. "Nuke" freaks out and quits the game.
Other adventures/plots:
-"Tom Thumb" totally goes off the rails and starts just inventing stuff. He actually manages to hit the GM's requested targets for "create a Brain-Washing machine" and assorted things, but his "RPer" status makes him constantly request solo adventures and deep-thought segments about his life and struggles. His "Amphibian" does the same thing, always debating the others over the morality of their mission, annoying the other players.
-"Blue Eagle" starts flirting with "Lady Lark", and since all lustful nerdy players of women RP them as sluts, she responds. His "Golden Archer" gets mad and BRAINWASHES her into loving him! The other players get mad, and so the GM lets them RP as a new group of villains. The GM is immediately annoyed as everybody creates goofy Morts instead of cool villains, and then the heroes BRAINWASH them into submission, so that he can't just boot the villains out after the adventure ends.
-The Role Player creates "Ape X" (wanting to RP an ugly non-human this time), and gets tired of "Amphibian", retiring him off to the side.
-The Munchkin creates "Lamprey", who can steal everyone else's powers, and shifts "Dr. Spectrum" off to the side, explaining it offhand as guilt over "Nuke's" death.
-The Lustful Nerd creates "Foxfire", a new slutty character, and dumps Golden Archer & Lady Lark, getting tired of them. Both quit the group after the B-Modding incident. Since The Griefer doesn't want to create any new guys, the Nerd also creates "Quagmire", a lustful male.
-A new player, a Whacky Gamer comes in, and annoys everybody right away by making one of his characters a mental incompetent, "The Shape". "Dr. Decibel" is similarly-goofy.

-Things go fine for a bit, but Lustful Nerd hooks "Foxfire" up with "Spectrum" in his non-combat role, but then he flubs his Fortitude Check and "Quagmire" dies. "Hyperion & Power Princess" get their own huge self-involved adventure with Evil Hyperion coming in, seducing Princess, and finally being killed in an epic fight the others aren't allowed to get in on. "Tom Thumb" also gets a long, drawn-out roleplay-heavy death by cancer. The Role Player gets bored and leaves the group, leaving "Ape X" with the GM in a non-combat role. Whacky Gamer's "Dr. Decibel" is deliberately choked out, gagging on Quagmire's "Black Goo" power, making him laugh.
-The GM tries desperately to undo all this weirdness and damage, creating a new group of characters, The Redeemers, to oppose the RP group. "Nighthawk" leads them, with a bunch of his own goofy villains (Mink is his attempt and "a hot chick"), putting them all onto the team. He decides that all the heroes' villains are now un-brainwashed, and back under his control, except for "The Shape" & "Foxfire", since their players only have one guy each.

The Final Battle: The GM gives all the players an ultimatum- give up this Utopia Program and fight villains normally, or he's kill them all. Irked, the players just go all-out and start fighting at full-force. "The Whizzer" rolls really good to start, one-punching "Pinball", and the GM pulls the biggest Dick Move in history, deciding that an arrow by "Black Archer" is enough to break "Spectrum's" Power Prism. The Munchkin FREAKS, even moreso once the GM casually decides that Arcanna's going into labor. Griefer's "Blue Eagle" totally one-hit-kills "Black Archer" with lethal damage, shocking the GM. "Inertia" proves to be the biggest cheeseball character in history, using Perception-Range stuff to nullify all of "Hyperion's" punches and leaving him totally weakened (he doesn't even bother to give him an HP to make up for it!), then beating "Power Princess" half to death as well.

It gets even worse- Whacky Gamer ignores everything and decides to help the pregnant lady instead, so "Shape" doesn't get into the fight. The GM gets revenge on The Griefer, as "Lamprey" kills "Blue Eagle", who pulls his own Dick Move and decides that he lands on "Pinball", killing him. "Whizzer" kills "Thermite", but says "it's an accident" when called out for it. "Nighthawk" gives a giant speech that the players can only listen do ("Haywire" fudged a roll and Snared "Whizzer", who was doing the best), but Lustful Nerd gets pissed and just kills him with "Foxfire" (who was supposed to be on NIGHTHAWK'S SIDE), with some nonsense about loving "Spectrum". The GM FREAKS at his main character being killed by a fudged save, and has "Mink" kill "Foxfire" in turn with a lethal damage Sneak Attack. The Munchkin begs to do something, so "Spectrum" gets his powers back, and he KO's "Mink", then kills "Lamprey", his old character, then "Arcanna" KO's "Moonglow".

Things finally end with the "Squadron" beaten, but most of the GM's favourite characters (Nighthawk, Thermite, a re-newed Black Archer) are dead. Lustful Nerd has lost all his characters, and The Griefer is pissed that "Blue Eagle" died, so both quit. The GM's former best friend quits in a huff, their friendship ruined by what the GM has done to his super-awesome powerful characters. Only The Munchkin & Whacky Guy remain. The GM decides to end the adventure, considering it all an abject failure, and vows to never GM a campaign again.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So how many Marvel Nth men are there?

And before we leave the subject, I'm getting a thrill of hearing my 'name' over and over.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

It is pretty fun to look at stuff as if it were a tabletop campaign. The only Nth Men in Marvel I know are the one that wasn't in the main universe and this one.
Ken

Post by Ken »

And then somebody gets the bright idea to run all these characters in one final adventure, but really it's just a ploy to destroy that particular gameworld.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:20 am It is pretty fun to look at stuff as if it were a tabletop campaign. The only Nth Men in Marvel I know are the one that wasn't in the main universe and this one.
I was thinking of a New Mutants one, but lost interest & ideas- it occurs to me that Magik as the GM's goth girlfriend would be PERFECT. Moonstar as the griefer forced into leadership would be funny, too.
Jabroniville

Shadow Riders

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SHADOW RIDERS:
-Somehow, this team has managed to elude my regular observations as a reader of comic books, The List Spectrum & I compiled, my deliberate research into every aspect of Marvel UK AND my Alphabet Searching... until now. Only when I looked up the Marvel Alphabet on Marvunapp did I actually find these losers.

-The Shadow Riders were in a four-issue Limited Series for Marvel UK in 1993. The book stars Vorin, who's dogged Mys-Tech (the bad guys behind the ENTIRE Marvel UK line, even though they weren't really that interesting) for centuries on Earth. Using his magical powers, he's taken a bunch of deceased people and turned them into Reanimated Bikers- a personal army against Mys-Tech. There's a band of seven that actually matter, though apparently six others are seen in the background- they briefly team up with Cable, but of the entire team, only Che reappears outside of it. Their Marvunapp page comes off like a crazy-huge example of being someone's Red Guardian Character, as every character bio is exquisitely detailed, and contains tons of questions about the character and their potential future in the "Comments" section. It's quite hilarious, because the squad never showed up anywhere else- one of the biggest failures of Marvel UK, really.

-This brings to mind one of those "notability" things. I bet if I just ignored them, nobody would ever think something was up. No Marvel UK fans on here picked up that I skipped them- nobody'd ever know. But I'D know, and thus I needed to stat out the entire group! I'm not an addict- I can quit any time I want! FROM YOU, ALRIGHT? I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!!!

-I'll say this, though- despite being a group of Techno-Bikers, the team has some CRAZY elaborate stuff going on with their powers. I mean, almost every guy has a full paraagraph-length description of their capabilities, and various powers they have- compare this to most guys who debuted in the early '90s, and you just see "Energy Blasts" or "Super-Strength". These bios actually reflect some real thought going into the characters and their capabilities. That the book was only four issues long and they managed to cram that in makes me suspect it was a never-ending series of Power Feats.

All of the Shadow Riders ride specially-designed Bikes with a small arsenal on them, higher durability (+2) and the Morph capability (they can resemble normal bikes).

SHADOW RIDER TEMPLATE
Created By:
John Freeman & Brian Williamson
First Appearance: Shadow Riders #1 (June 1993)
Role: Techno-Biker
Group Affiliations: The Shadow Riders
PL 7 (84)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Mercenary) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehiciles 6 (+10)

Advantages: 
Equipment 7 (Arsenal of Guns, Force Shield +2, Super-Bike- Motorcycle +2 Toughness & Morph- Regular Bike), Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Powers:
Immunity 1 (Sleep) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications: 
Enemy (Mys-Tech)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 9 (84)

-The Shadow Riders require very little sleep, and are solid combatants. Most of them end up as PL 8s with their stats boosted- it seemed a little high, but they were apparently quite good, and that keeps in time with Marvel UK's other doofuses like The Super-Soldiers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Boot

Post by Jabroniville »

BOOT (Steven White)
Created By:
PL 8 (114)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Mercenary) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehiciles 6 (+10)

Advantages: 
Equipment 7 (Arsenal of Guns, Force Shield +2, Super-Bike- Motorcycle +2 Toughness & Morph- Regular Bike), Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Powers:
Immunity 1 (Sleep) [1]
"Difficult to Scan" Concealment 1 (Electronic Detection) [2]

"Cybernetic Arms" (Flaws: Removable) [17]
"Class 10" Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) (1)
Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18) -- (20)
  • AE: "Lockpicks" Features 1 (1)
  • AE: "Block Gunfire" Enhanced Defenses 2 (4)
-- (21 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Guns +8 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Arm Blasts +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+9 Arms, DC 17-19), Parry +7 (+9 Arms, DC 17-19), Toughness +5 (+7 Shield), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications: 
Enemy (Mys-Tech)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 10 (114)

-Boot is a big, strong guy with Class 10 Strength and arms that can deflect gunfire, or blast away on their own. He had a "devil may care" attitude, and liked to joke during crisis situations in order to dissolve the tension. He was a former Warhead before he was killed- Vorin's powers include brainwashing guys into being loyal to him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I miss the Squadron already...

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:32 am I miss the Squadron already...
Don't worry- I'm re-reading that whole Trade, which includes the Busiek Avengers stuff that bothered you, and that "HORRIBLE" Thor issue I complained about before. I'll post the reviews for that to keep everyone's minds off of this Iron Age drek (which I'll spam out in less than a day :)).

After those douches comes a couple of requests- OMAC and Captain Comet. I think those will be more to your liking :).

Then you'll have to suffer through two days of video game builds (WeaponLord!), until I take another crack at a letter of the Marvel Alphabet (Washout! Warrior Woman! Warwolf! WildPride!).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Thor #280 issue I talked about is included in the second Squadron collection, and it's bizarre all-around. People talk in a very stilted manner, everyone's a bit heavy on clumsy exposition, a dozen characters get involved but only a couple do anything, and it's full of that "Silver Age Marvel" trope where people come in and IMMEDIATELY start throwing punches, assuming weird things about each other, just for the sake of a fight scene. A sharp difference between then and today... where heroes wait to have a STUPID DISAGREEMENT first. But man, Marvel guys are always so HOSTILE back in the day.

Sample dialogue: "WHAT You're HYPERION, all right -- as surely as I'm EMIL BURBANK, brother of the famous DIRECTOR -- but also your ARCH-FOE, ever since your Atom-Vision once caused my HORMONES to run wild, so that my HAIR won't stay cut!" Completely bizarre- who talks that way?

Stuff just keeps HAPPENING, though- it's insanely over-stuffed with convoluted things, but is probably preferable to today's "eight issues to tell a single tale" methods. Seriously, things happen as such:

* Thor is just wandering around NYC, and is immediately confronted by Hyperion, who attacks as a stranger shadows Thor. "WHAT?? You staggered me with a mere HAMMER?" Hyperion cries, as Thor assumes him the villainous version. But Hype then goes "oh no, I was just CHECKING to see if it was really you!" (you know- a RATIONAL reason to just assault someone out of nowhere), and offers Thor a role in a movie on his world. Alas, Evil Hyperion follows them, KOs Hype and takes his place (tying him up using Hype's own... nigh-invincible cape, actually), then Burbank attacks. Then Hyperion arrives with the Squadron (apparently Dr. Spectrum can automatically summon people from miles away) and FIGHTS THOR AGAIN (but only because Thor was making time with Lonni Lattimer- Hyperion's co-worker, whom he's suddenly realized he loves). 90% of the Squadron aren't named, or even do anything aside from making silly poses. Then a robot attacks, at which point Evil Hype, then Burbank fall out of it, then the preprogrammed robot flies both villains away after literally six panels of fighting, and Thor is all "WE PART AS FRIENDS!"

So, SO weird. Just a bizarre one-off.
Jabroniville

Che

Post by Jabroniville »

CHE
Created By:
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+11)
Expertise (Mercenary) 2 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 5 (+8)
Technology 3 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+7)
Vehiciles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment 7 (Arsenal of Guns, Super-Bike- Motorcycle +2 Toughness & Morph- Regular Bike), Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Powers:
Immunity 1 (Sleep) [1]
Immunity 20 (Magic Effects) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [10]
"Psychometry" Senses 4 (Postcognition) (Flaws: Limited to Objects Touched, Uncontrolled) [1]

"Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Split) (4) -- [5]
  • AE: "Chi Punch" Strength-Damage +3 (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Claws & Chi +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Guns +8 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Mys-Tech)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 10 (124)

-A weird-looking flesh monster, Che started out as a Torontonian raised in Tibet, where he gained Martial Arts powers and an Immunity to Magic. Che actually appears all over the Marvel UK scene, popping up as a regular in Warheads (he's Cable's anti-Mys-Tech mole) and once in Genetix, Motormouth & Killpower, and more. Eventually, he is killed by Mys-Tech's guards and recruited by Vorin into the Shadow Riders, where he turns into a weird fleshy creature. This was only in the fourth issue of Shadow Riders, however, and Back-To-Basics Syndrome (over THIS GUY?) reverted its ugly head, and he returned looking as human as ever. Fittingly, Che is the only Rider to pop up after 1993, showing up in the Marvel UK sequel Revolutionary War as a background character.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ares wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 pm I will forever defend Superman wearing the red trunks as part of his costume, but I can't help but snicker at Hyperion wearing what I can only call his Atomic Diaper.
I just have to laugh because A) I call it that too and B) I just keep thinking of so many bad jokes.
Please tell me that the bad guys make fun of his super diaper? ;~)
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Arkrite wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 am
Ares wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 pm I will forever defend Superman wearing the red trunks as part of his costume, but I can't help but snicker at Hyperion wearing what I can only call his Atomic Diaper.
I just have to laugh because A) I call it that too and B) I just keep thinking of so many bad jokes.
Please tell me that the bad guys make fun of his super diaper? ;~)
Heh, would have been funny if it actually was an Atomic Diaper. "Stop teasing me about it already! This is the only way to contain my potential atomic leaks when I...pass gas."