Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Numinus! Night Nurse! Redshirt! New Sun! Nitro!)

Post by catsi563 »

Shouldn't she have ritualist since basically that's what shes shown doing in the comics? And ritualist is basically arcane lore and preparation.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

... maybe? All I've ever seen her do is brawl.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Sorry to post this in your build thread, Jab, but I was going through some stuff working on a little project for my own page when I came across this and I just had to show you:

Yes, that's Wayne Gretzky defending Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles on Parliment Hill from a giant Japanese robot (with nipple guns!) using only his hockey stick.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

An albino, (pratically un)dressed like that, While living in the desert. And associating herself with Mandrill and later the Reaper.

I'm pretty sure she has "poor decision-making" as a secondary mutation.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

danelsan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 am An albino, (pratically un)dressed like that, While living in the desert. And associating herself with Mandrill and later the Reaper.

With a better costume and better choice of allies Nekra could really kind of a cool villain. Of course if you made her cool, she'd have to end up getting reformed because if there's one thing comic writers cannot seem to do, it's resist giving any cool female villain a face turn. This is why there are so few interesting female villains. A rare few (like Circe, Cheetah, Moonstone and Morgan Le Fay) can manage it, but for the most part, as soon as a female character starts to get interesting, she starts to gravitate toward the side of angels.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MissRo wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:50 am Sorry to post this in your build thread, Jab, but I was going through some stuff working on a little project for my own page when I came across this and I just had to show you:

Yes, that's Wayne Gretzky defending Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles on Parliment Hill from a giant Japanese robot (with nipple guns!) using only his hockey stick.
Hey, if Dave Semenko (RIP) is behind him, he'll be okay.
Jabroniville

Mandrill

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MANDRILL (Jerome Beechman)
Created By:
Carole Seuling & Ross Andru
First Appearance: Shanna the She-Devil #4 (June 1973)
Role: Mind-Controller, Jobber Villain, Unfortunate Implications
Group Affiliations: The Black Spectre, Mutant Force
PL 10 (150)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal/Cult Leader) 4 (+8)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 5 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Ape-Like Physiology & Lady-Affecting Pheromones"
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Ape Strength & Long Arms" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
Protection 1 [1]
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Pheromones" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Cumulative, Area- Scent Perception, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Limited to Women) [40]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Pheromones +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Women)- The Mandrill is an evil rapist, and uses his powers to control countless women.
Power Loss (Pheromones)- A slight electrical shock to The Mandrill's victims is all it will take to break his control.
Prejudice (Appearance)- Initially a black-looking white person (WTF?), Jerome is now completely mutated into a massive simian form, unable to pass for a normal human under any circumstances.
Relationship (Nekra)- The Mandrill & Nekra are very close to the point of siblings, and will avenge each other if necessary.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 14 (150)

-The Mandrill's origin story is so awfully, completely "What the FRICK?" that it makes ME want to join the legions of SJWs protesting comics via Tumblr! Seriously, his origin is that he was a white kid... who was born LOOKING BLACK. This hideous mutation then progressed to him literally looking like a monkey. Yes, they LITERALLY had "looks black" act as a natural progression into looking like a muzzled, hairy monkey. And then he develops the power to force women to have sex with him. SOMEONE LITERALLY THOUGHT THIS CHARACTER WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA. This is COMPLETELY INSANE!! Seriously, how is this character not more famous or notorious? For years, I only knew him as "that weird-looking Jobber Villain", not the living embodiment of Unfortunate Implications and possibly the most racist thing in the history of comics.

-So Jerome Beechman was driven out by his Caucasian parents for looking all monkey-like, and hooked up with Nekra- a black girl who was born looking white (but, like, albinistic white. Though she didn't turn into a scary monster- just a sexy nudist. Though I guess you could say this could've been meant to be uncomfortably like "white people progressing to vampires" if you were trying to be an apologist about Mandrill). The two formed a partnership that tried to take over some African countries using Mandrill's pheromones, but Shanna the She-Devil stopped them.

-Since it was Shanna's book, and her book failed, the character soon shifted to other characters- he formed the first Black Spectre group, trying to get black women to overthrow America. Ah, so it's a riff on the "Black Panthers", then. So they have a white man who looks BLACK... then becomes an ACTUAL MONKEY... who leads the BLACK PANTHERS in overthrowing America. Just so we're clear.

-The Mandrill abandons Nekra and escapes when Shanna allies with Daredevil and the Black Widow against them- the two do not appear partnered up again, as she goes off with the Grim Reaper, and he has Mutant Force and another army of women (Fem-Force, unrelated to Femme Force from the Giantess Fetish comic book) team up, but they are defeated by The Defenders. Mandrill continues what many '70s villains did- Mind Controllers Who Use Their Powers For Rape, as stories make clear that he has his women act as his slaves. He even becomes a polygamist, and alludes to having made the Black Widow one of his "conquests", because CHRIST.

-The character disappears in the '80s and is thought slain by the Grim Reaper (Mandrill attacked him for killing Nekra), but reappears in modern times as one of The Hood's Army of Jobbers- his distinctive appearance and concept makes him an ideal Background Jobber. He has not appeared since Siege, acting as part of the army of trained super-villains against Asgard. Though he still uses his powers to control women, they've thankfully avoided the "white guy who turns into a black monkey-man rapist" thing in recent years. Because this thing is so vile that even *I* want to protest it!

-Not that bad in combat (PL 8.5), Mandrill gets some bonuses for being in the body of a giant simian (though it's much bigger than any REAL mandrill's- they essentially gave him the size of a Gorilla), and a very cheap power given it's capabilities. His Pheromones are basically an Area Effect Progression, hitting everyone who can smell him with a DC 10 Affliction effect, which is also Sustained (he can re-new control as a Free Action). I think sometimes his victims have a more permanent control (making it Continuous), but these are rare instances, with some Minions (women he's forced into marrying him- that's right, a rapist AND a polygamist black white man who turned into a monkey), so I'll not count that- he's got to be around to control most people. He'll more likely let his minions & controlled victims do some damage before jumping into melee himself, but at PL 8.5 offensively, he'll do in a pinch. Surprisingly, he costs full PL 10 (150) PC-level points thanks to a reasonable amount of Skill and Power, but it's rather inefficient altogether (male heroes can beat on him pretty easily).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:35 pm Shouldn't she have ritualist since basically that's what shes shown doing in the comics? And ritualist is basically arcane lore and preparation.
Hm, Wikipedia says thus:
Possesses the ability to increase her strength, endurance, and resistance to pain and injury by harnessing her violent emotions. Her heightened adrenal activity causes a series of metabolic reactions within her body that toughen her skin and increase the efficiency of her muscles. At her peak, she can lift approximately 10 tons, withstand an explosion of about 100 pounds of TNT, and withstand extreme degrees of cold and heat. Her powers are limited by how long she can sustain her emotional state, generally for no more than an hour.
So nothing about the magic stuff. I just gave her those Skills because she works with guys who do it, so she might have picked up something. But my "Nekra Lore" isn't maxed-out, so if she actually uses Rituals and stuff, then she earns the Advantage. How often does she do that stuff?
Gamebook

Re: Jab's Builds! (Night Nurse! Redshirt! Nitro! Nekra & Mandrill!)

Post by Gamebook »

Comics always come up with such weird and convoluted origin stories for characters that often make no sense. While I've never researched the Mandrill I always thought of him as an actual mandrill, a baboon from Africa, who was somehow raised up in size and intelligence and given his pheromone powers. For characters that are clearly not human in form I always prefer them to be the animal they look like rather than being a mutated human. It would certainly explain his brutish and sexist behavior and why he is such a lowlife.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 am
catsi563 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:35 pm Shouldn't she have ritualist since basically that's what shes shown doing in the comics? And ritualist is basically arcane lore and preparation.
Hm, Wikipedia says thus:
Possesses the ability to increase her strength, endurance, and resistance to pain and injury by harnessing her violent emotions. Her heightened adrenal activity causes a series of metabolic reactions within her body that toughen her skin and increase the efficiency of her muscles. At her peak, she can lift approximately 10 tons, withstand an explosion of about 100 pounds of TNT, and withstand extreme degrees of cold and heat. Her powers are limited by how long she can sustain her emotional state, generally for no more than an hour.
So nothing about the magic stuff. I just gave her those Skills because she works with guys who do it, so she might have picked up something. But my "Nekra Lore" isn't maxed-out, so if she actually uses Rituals and stuff, then she earns the Advantage. How often does she do that stuff?

Not sure honestly I'm only familiar with her via the WCA comics where she popped up a time or 2 with reaper. My question was based more on what you had in her bio
Nekra's a PL 10 Scrapper compared to the Controlling Mandrill, having high physical abilities across the board, as well as pretty decent accuracy. Working side-by-side with Mandrill and his pheromone manipulation, they can make a pretty deadly team. She's shown magical abilities in the comics, but they all come from getting ingredients and casting spells over vats of steaming whatever, so she can't whip out zapping spells, make zombies, or teleport on the fly like anyone with the "Magic" power can- it's all Arcane Lore & preparation
That's pretty much a buck standard description of the rituallist advantage, so was just curious if it was an intentional omission or small oops. :?:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

ah, okay. I must have picked that up from another bio or something and forgot about it. I threw the Advantage in there anyways.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Gamebook wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 am Comics always come up with such weird and convoluted origin stories for characters that often make no sense. While I've never researched the Mandrill I always thought of him as an actual mandrill, a baboon from Africa, who was somehow raised up in size and intelligence and given his pheromone powers. For characters that are clearly not human in form I always prefer them to be the animal they look like rather than being a mutated human. It would certainly explain his brutish and sexist behavior and why he is such a lowlife.
Haha, yup. And only in comics can "a monkey that was raised into a larger form" be the LESS-convoluted origin!
Honestly, though, I don't think I've ever seen Mandrill's origin brought up in comics. I think they just kind of assume he's just a Sentient Mandrill anyhow. WAYYYYYYYYY too many unfortunate implications with him in the modern era (hell, he would have been racist FOR THE SEVENTIES).
Ken

Post by Ken »

MissRo wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:50 am Sorry to post this in your build thread, Jab, but I was going through some stuff working on a little project for my own page when I came across this and I just had to show you:

Holy Mother of God.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Nosferata

Post by Jabroniville »

NOSFERATA (Purple Hayes)
Created By:
Steve Gerber
First Appearance: Sensational She-Hulk #19 (Sept. 1990)
Role: Girl Batman
PL 6 (78)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Criminology) 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Technology 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Wealth- Lives in a Mansion), Equipment 4 (Nosferauto, Nosferatarang), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Nosferatarangs +8 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Fighting Crime)- Purple witnessed the deaths of her parents when she was just a young girl. She has devoted her life to fighting crime.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (78)

-A cheeky parody of Batman, Purple Hayes (an obvious riff on the Hendrix classic Purple Haze) watched her parents be slain as a young child, and grew up to become a criminologist. When she was beaten up by thugs, she decided to wear a costume to strike fear in to the hearts of criminals, driving her "Nosferauto" into people. She helped She-Hulk briefly against some guy named Doctor Serious, and later the Adrenazon. Her only appearance since that early time was a one-off in the Dan Slott era, as a backgrounder.

-A silly superhero who is just good enough to beat up thugs, Nosferata is only a PL 6 fighter. Basically Batman-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite-Lite.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

danelsan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 am An albino, (pratically un)dressed like that, While living in the desert. And associating herself with Mandrill and later the Reaper.

She also hooked up with Mister Hyde (Yes physically :shock: )
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'