Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (NFL SuperPro! Instant Replay! Head-Hunters! Horror!)

Post by L-Space »

I've always loved horror movies of every type, but the horror genre is kind of a mixed bag for me. Mostly because the horror genre seems to be the most bogged down with mediocre movies. So many horror movies ended up being rehashes, splatter gore, or just plain uninspired. We still get a couple good horror movies, but they're few and far between.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Morbius

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh come on- a story about a freaky guy with supernatural powers who hangs out with an army of deformed hobos in New York City? What the Hell, MacFarlane- no one is gonna wanna read THAT!!

MORBIUS, THE LIVING VAMPIRE (Michael Morbius)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gil Kane
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #101 (Oct. 1971)
Role: Censorship Board-Tester, Biological Villain, '90s-Style Dark Antihero
Villain/Ally Ranking: C-Level
Group Affiliations: The Midnight Sons, The Legion of Monsters, S.H.I.E.L.D.
PL 10 (173)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Biology/Chemistry
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 10 (+12)
Perception 8 (+9)
Stealth 6 (+10)
Treatment/Medicine 6 (+11)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Throw, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Fearless, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Pseudo-Vampire"
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Regeneration 4 [4]
"Creature of the Night" Senses 4 (Darkvision, Acute & Extended Scent) [4]

"Vampiric Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Transformed to Pseudo-Vampire) (Extras: Continuous +3) (Flaws: Limited to Grapples, Uncontrolled) [13]
"Hypnotism" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Sense-Dependent, Distracting) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Bite +10 (+9 Damage & +6 Affliction, DC 24 & 16)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Obsession (Blood)- Rather than food, Morbius must drink blood for sustenance. Eventually, guilt drives him to only drink from the evil and guilty- despite this, he may occasionally stray. And still, it's murder.
Weakness (Light)- Morbius is far more likely to suffer from visual dazzles, and is highly weakened in light conditions.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 14 (173)

Morbius- Marvel's First Vampire:
-The way I first heard it, Morbius was created to do nothing but tempt the Comics Code. See, back then, you couldn't do vampires/occult stuff, so Stan Lee gave the order to skirt the line of censorship as tightly as possible, with a vampire created from SCIENCE (yet another brilliant scientist involved in an accident, Morbius caught a disease and tried to heal it with vampire bats) instead of magic or biting. However, Roy Thomas suggests that the Comics Code had changed already, and thus Morbius was their first attempt at it, after Stan Lee insisted the character by a super-villain, and not just Dracula.

-The success of Morbius (who proved very popular) allowed Marvel to break the Code barriers fully with stuff like Count Dracula and Werewolf By Night (for those curious as to why the 1970s seemed chock-full of weird supernatural characters in solo books, that's why. It was the first time in thirty years they could do it :)). Morbius was ridiculously '70s however, having the classic Iron Fist-style giant open shirt v-neck, and altogether looks HILARIOUSLY ridiculous today. Despite that, he was pretty popular in his time, even getting a regular feature book (Vampire Tales magazine, then Adventure Into Fear- both were anthology series). His success appears pretty limited, as after about a year or two, he was back to "rarely-occurring bad guy".

Morbius- Scientific Vampire:
-Morbius debuted as a Greek biochemist who was suffering from a rare blood disease, and cured himself with a concoction that of course turned him into a "Living Vampire". He would frequently fight Spider-Man, but his sympathetic origins soon had him turning anti-heroic, and resulted in appearances in the aforementioned anthology-type books. When the '70s Horror Craze ended and comics went pretty-fully into superheroes again, he vanished save for the occasional appearance, getting a notable arc in Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man, which used him as a cape-wearing, grim bad-ass living with a bunch of deformed, crazy homeless people (reading this now, it's a pretty clear "test run" for the ideas he would go on to use in Spawn once he left Marvel). When Marvel based an entire mini-line around the mystical adventures of Ghost Rider (who had become a MAJOR hit in the early 1990s, owing to his grimness and the violence found in his series), Morbius actually got his own ONGOING, though it lasted only three years and 32 issues. Being a '90s book, it featured him as a murderous vigilante, promising only to "drink the blood of the guilty". He also showed up for an issue or two of Maximum Carnage, but was nothing more than an extra name to the slugfest.

Morbius- The Comeback! And The OTHER Comeback! And the OTHER!:
-This comeback in the horrid Midnight Sons era of Marvel, where all their mystic guys were given quick-to-fail comic series (remember the Darkhold Redeemers? Or the Night Stalkers? *shudder*...), was short-lived, but produced a funny story: apparently the head writer (Len Kaminski) quit the book because Ron Wagner, the penciller, hated his stories and would write insulting remarks about it in the liner notes. When Kaminski bailed, the colorist had to take over as writer, and gave Wagner the bloodbath stories he wanted, instead of Kaminski's character-based stuff.

-These failures to make him successful always amuse me, as despite his continued inability to gain traction with comic book readers, Marvel appears obsessed with "putting this guy over", to use the wrestling parlance. Morbius gets comeback after comeback, usually several years apart, as something "Vampire-related" hits big, and Marvel realizes they have their very own Vampire Anti-Hero kicking around, and they want some of that scratch.

-When his book was cancelled, he effectively disappeared alongside all the OTHER '90s orphans (Darkhawk, Deathlok, Silver Sable, etc.), as their poor sales had essentially caused Marvel to reduce the line to only the top-selling acts- he would from this point only appear periodically in someone else's book, like a Midnight Sons Limited Series featuring monster superheroes, or a couple Spider-Man issues. He would help cure The Lizard's own condition, but was driven mad by Dr. Connors (who had revealed that the Lizard persona was still controlling his mind) and captured. Morbius has been given so many chances, and failed so many times, that I can't imagine him ever succeeding, no matter what kind of "Vampire" craze is going on in pop culture at the moment. As someone who's always hated the idea of vampires, and considers them rather boring, I have no love for the character.

-The most memorable Morbius story for me is when he showed up in the 1990s Spider-Man animated series. Under the same rules as 1970s Marvel, he couldn't suck blood or bite people. Their solution? Have him SUCK PLASMA through wheird little suction cups in his hands? This sated the censors, even though that was TOTALLY DISGUSTING and a thousand times more nightmare-inducing that just biting people.

The Powers of Morbius:
-Morbius stats up over-costed in the new system, since he's got a myriad of powers (the Vampire Bite has been used only 4 times, so I threw "Uncontrolled" on it), but it's tough to make him PL 10 without overdoing him, since he was roughly as strong as Spidey, but wasn't a godly combatant or anything. He's more 9.5 offensive & defensive. Otherwise, he's pretty all-around good and scary.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Mandrill! NFL SuperPro! Instant Replay! Head-Hunters!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Gamebook wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:36 pm I've mentioned before that I don't much like vampires, for largely the same reasons as you give Jab. That said I've done a fair few builds of them as they turn up in superhero art and fiction quite a bit in that usual 'fantasy kitchen-sink' thing superhero comics do.

I tend to give them additional vampire powers such as shapeshifting, hypnotism and control of lesser creatures like bats, rats and wolves. In my own schema most vampires are not created by other vampires but rise of their own accord, which was the original belief (especially of people who committed suicide). Rather than being ageless they are just dead, they do not grow or change. They act out a sad parody of their former lives over and over. Vampires may exist for centuries but remember none of it, each time they rise from their coffin they have forgotten most of what they did last night. They cast no reflection because they are not even a material being, they are a ghost animating a cloud of smoke. The blood they drain gives them just enough life to minimally interact with the material world. If their form is drastically disrupted (by beheading, staking, burning, immersion in running water etc.) they dissipate back into the handful of ashes they are made of.
Huh- I don't remember you mentioning that. I kinda dig your backstory, though. I keep thinking about what I want vamps to be in my OC-verse. I'm thinking something like deformed Nosferatu-like monsters- the kind of thing that you can't sexualize (without going to the worst parts of the internet). And that all the Goth'd up Anne Rice/Masquerade wannabes are just poseurs out to ape the "style" that never really existed :).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (NFL SuperPro! Instant Replay! Vampires! Morbius!)

Post by Jabroniville »

YAY! Transferred more pics over! The Archie builds now have all of their pics intact! And since I had some extra ones (some not even Fanservicey!), I randomly filled some of the Archie conversational stuff with them.

The funny thing is, that set seemed INSANELY popular, at least in terms of comments. Nearly every character was followed bits from everyone who currently posts, plus a few who haven't been seen in a while (Blitz/BriarThorne doesn't comment constantly, Batgirl's not been around since April, Kyle & Kreuzritter said stuff, etc.). Given that non-superhero stuff can be a tough sell on all the various forums, I was quite delighted to have massive comment-streams over stuff like our various small-town origins, school superintendents and the trouble therin, evil Rival High Schools, etc.
Jabroniville

Night Terror

Post by Jabroniville »

NIGHT TERROR (Carl Blake)
Created By:
Howard Mackie, Chris Bachalo & Mark Buckingham
First Appearance: Ghost Rider Annual #3 (1993)
Role: Vampire Hero
PL 6 (65)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Assassin) 5 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 6 (+6)

Advantages: 
Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
"Super-Strong Vampire"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 6 [6]
Impervious Toughness 10 (Flaws: Not versus Wood, Fire, Silver or Holy Weapons) [5]
Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Source- Blood) [3]
Immortality 4 (Flaws: Not if Staked, Beheaded or Dealt With in Mystical Ways) [4]
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]

"Run Across Tree-Tops" Flight 3 (16 mph) (Flaws: Low Ceiling) (3) -- [4]
AE: Speed 3 (16 mph) (3)

"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +0 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) Linked to Affliction 6 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative) (Flaws: Grab-Based) Linked to Mind-Reading 6 (Flaws: Touch-Range -2, Grab-Based) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vampire's Bite +6 (+6 Damage, +6 Weaken & +6 Affliction, DC 24, 16 & 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +1

Complications:
Weakness (Garlic, Sunlight, Fire)- Both are anathema to vampires, and will cause horrible pain. Direct sunlight will kill a vampire of any power level.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Witnessing or touching a Holy Symbol is painful to vampires, but only if the wearer belives.
Weakness (Lack of Blood, Home Soil)- Though Immune to Fortitude Effects, They can effectively starve to death if deprived of blood- and are usually addicted to the substance. 
Quirk (No Reflection)- Vampires do not cast reflections in any mirrored surface.
Enemy (Steppin' Razor)- Blake's target was responsible for turning him into a Vampire. However, the two later team up in order to resurrect Varnae.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 6 (65)

-Oh man, ANOTHER of those terrible "Debuted in the Annuals With Collector Cards" guys- is there a list of these idiots somewhere? I feel like I'm missing out. Carl Blake was an assassin whose target turned out to be a vampire, and turned him. The government agency that employed him got him back, and rechristened him "Night Terror", I guess figuring that this was an improvement. However, the whole experience had left him amnesiac, and he went nuts, escaping and killing some thugs. His next target was Danny Ketch, who of course became Ghost Rider and defeated him. Thought dead in an explosion, he recovered and killed many of his old employers.

-The character reappeared in a Blade comic later that year as a henchman of the cult attempting to return Varnae to life (he was oddly partnered up with the vampire who turned him- Steppin' Razor). He was basically one-shotted by Blade in humiliating fashion, then used as the vessel by which Varnae re-entered the world. The character hasn't been seen since.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Varnae

Post by Jabroniville »

VARNAE
Created By:
Steve Perry & Steve Bissette
First Appearance: Bizarre Adventures #33 (Dec. 1982)
Role: The Original Vampire
PL 12 (260)
STRENGTH
8/12 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (History) 10 (+13)
Expertise (Magic) 11 (+14)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+7, +8-10 Size)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6, +4 Size)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Super-Strong Vampire"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
Impervious Toughness 14 (Flaws: Not versus Wood, Fire, Silver or Holy Weapons) [7]
Regeneration 10 (Flaws: Source- Blood) [5]
Immortality 4 (Flaws: Not if Staked, Beheaded or Dealt With in Mystical Ways) [4]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]

"Vampiric Flight" Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
"Huge Size" Growth 2 (ST & Toughness +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

"Magical & Vampiric Might"
"The Lord of Vampires" Mind Control 14 (Flaws: Limited to Vampires From His Line) (42) -- [46]
  • AE: Mind Control 8 (Flaws: Limited to Animals, Limited to Wolves & Bats) (16)
  • AE: "Telepathy" Mental Communication 3 (15)
  • AE: Growth +4 (ST +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) (8)
  • AE: Shapeshift 4 (Flaws: Limited to Wolf, Bat, Mist & Man-Sized Bat) (24)
"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 12 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) Linked to Affliction 12 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to Drained Victims) [27]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Growth +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Vampire's Bite +10 (+9 Damage, +12 Weaken & Affliction, DC 24, 22 & 22)
Mind Control -- (+14 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +9
"Greater Size" Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +14, Fortitude --, Will +9

Complications:
Weakness (Garlic, Sunlight, Fire)- Both are anathema to vampires, and will cause horrible pain. Direct sunlight will kill a vampire of any power level.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Witnessing or touching a Holy Symbol is painful to vampires, but only if the wearer belives. Varnae, however, is immune to any but the ones that precede his existence on Earth.
Weakness (Lack of Blood, Home Soil)- Though Immune to Fortitude Effects, Varnae can effectively starve to death if deprived of blood- he is even addicted to the substance. He may or may not have to stay in contact with his native soil.
Quirk (No Reflection)- Vampires do not cast reflections in any mirrored surface.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 151 / Defenses: 18 (260)

-Varnae is an ancient being- both the original Vampire (he was an Atlantean sorcerer who transformed himself using the Darkhold), and the creator of Dracula himself. A giant, naked, pink, hunchbacked monstrosity (no "Sexy Vampire Lord", this guy), his enemies have been as separated-by-time as Conan the Barbarian and Johnny Blaze! He was a recurring threat in Conan the Barbarian and Dr. Strange, even committing suicide by sunlight after he tired of his eternal existence in the latter's book. However, he was brough back to life by the voodoo priestess Marie LeVeau... but ultimately met his end in Nightstalkers, having been blown up in the same explosion that took the lives of Hannibal King & Frank Drake. He reappears in Blade: Vampire Hunter, in which his spirit is shown to possess various vampires (such as Blade himself).

-Varnae is a different sort of Vampire- containing many of the usual characteristics, but at much higher levels, in addition to his great size and Magical power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I love that first picture of Morbius, Gabriele Dell'otto is an amazing artist.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Varnae was actually named for one of the four literary vampires who preceded Dracula's publication; in this case, the eponymous character of the serialised penny dreadful story Varney the Vampire. The original was quite different, being one of the first sympathetic vampires in fiction, and was the origin of many classical elements such as the dual-puncture bite marks. He was also actually treated as sexy in story, in contrast to the middling works which portrayed vampires as uglier — in fact the first 'ugly' vampire was arguably Dracula himself.

The other three prototypes for vampire fiction were Lord Ruthven in The Vampyre, based off of Lord Byron and explicitly hyper-sexy, and the eponymous vampire in Carmilla who was also one of the two main origins for the lesbian vampire archetype alongside Geraldine in the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem Christabel.

... I know maybe a little too much about vampire fiction.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Scots Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 pm Varnae was actually named for one of the four literary vampires who preceded Dracula's publication; in this case, the eponymous character of the serialised penny dreadful story Varney the Vampire. The original was quite different, being one of the first sympathetic vampires in fiction, and was the origin of many classical elements such as the dual-puncture bite marks. He was also actually treated as sexy in story, in contrast to the middling works which portrayed vampires as uglier — in fact the first 'ugly' vampire was arguably Dracula himself.

The other three prototypes for vampire fiction were Lord Ruthven in The Vampyre, based off of Lord Byron and explicitly hyper-sexy, and the eponymous vampire in Carmilla who was also one of the two main origins for the lesbian vampire archetype alongside Geraldine in the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem Christabel.

Both Varney and Ruthven have appeared in Marvel comics, they each have page detailing their stories on www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Warwolf (Vincent)

Post by Jabroniville »

WARWOLF I (Vince Marcus)
Created By:
Richard Buckler
First Appearance: Nick Fury's Howling Commandos #1 (2005)
Role: Cartel Werewolves
Group Affiliations: The Howling Commandos (Monster Version)
PL 9 (136)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+4)
Treatment 1 (+2)

Advantages: 
Benefit 1 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent), Equipment 6 (Gear), Fast Grab, Languages (A Few), Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Lycanthropy"
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Regeneration 6 [6]

Equipment:
"Automatic Rifle" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (17) -- (20)
  • AE: "Standard Rifle Shot" Blast 6 (12)
    AE: "Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
    AE: "Grenade" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (20)
"S.H.I.E.L.D. Uniform" Protection 1, Protection 2 (Flaws: Limited to Ballistics) (2)
"Assorted Gear" (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Knife +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Pistol +7 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +7 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications: 
Responsibility (America, The World)- Though S.H.I.E.L.D. is supposedly an international organization, the President of the United States can disband it.
Weakness (Silver Bullets)- Silver weapons can easily kill werewolves- their toughness is drastically lowered against such weapons.
Normal Identity- Vic is ST 2, STA 3, AGI 2 in his base form.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 5 (136)

-Warwolf here has a Wikipedia page about three sentences long, so he must be a pretty minor dude. Debuting in 2005, he doesn't get much backstory. He is controlled more by the orbit of Mars than the Moon, however. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

My youngest brother was a big Castlevania fan, and helping him with those games got me semi-interested in vampires, their mythology, etc. Vampires have to be one of the most popular and least consistent creatures in pop culture, where you never know what powers they'll have, what weaknesses they have, their origins, etc. The very concept leaves them open to re-invention.

I do love the "kitchen sink" element of comics and how vampires allow for urban fantasy/modern mysticism stories. I think my biggest problem with vampires was when Anne Rice, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vampire: The Masquerade, the Underworld films and the Blade movies really popularized the idea of their being thousands or millions of vampires around the world, which always seemed nuts to me. Almost universally, the rarer something is, the more powerful/dangerous it is. One Kryptonian is a menace. A dozen Kryptonians are an immense threat. 100+ Kryptonians will somehow be mooks that the Justice League can power through.

To me, Vampires work better when they're very rare, like there should only ever be a couple dozen or so on the planet at any time (never more than 50 or 60), with Dracula being a Dr. Doom like threat and the next 12 or so vampires all being major named threats in their own right. Every vampire would have the potential to be a Dracula class threat, but creating a new vampire is a major expenditure of power and resources, so it doesn't happen often. Vampire hunters then are some of the most respected monster hunters in the world, because they take on the big league threats, and also have the highest death rate of any monster hunter (partially due to a lot of young idiot hunters think'll they'll be the next Simon Belmont and getting murdered for it). With the wide range of powers they have, every vampire should be a major threat, a match for most superheroes, and a gathering of multiple vampires should be scary as hell.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Scots Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 pm Varnae was actually named for one of the four literary vampires who preceded Dracula's publication; in this case, the eponymous character of the serialised penny dreadful story Varney the Vampire. The original was quite different, being one of the first sympathetic vampires in fiction, and was the origin of many classical elements such as the dual-puncture bite marks. He was also actually treated as sexy in story, in contrast to the middling works which portrayed vampires as uglier — in fact the first 'ugly' vampire was arguably Dracula himself.

Oh yeah, your comment here sounded familiar, so I looked it up, and when I posted Varnae last year (for the "V" section over at Ronin Army), BatgirlIII made the same comment about Varney, then you added the other stuff. It's pretty interesting- Carnilla in particular actually sounds like an interesting little novella.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:41 pm My youngest brother was a big Castlevania fan, and helping him with those games got me semi-interested in vampires, their mythology, etc. Vampires have to be one of the most popular and least consistent creatures in pop culture, where you never know what powers they'll have, what weaknesses they have, their origins, etc. The very concept leaves them open to re-invention.

I do love the "kitchen sink" element of comics and how vampires allow for urban fantasy/modern mysticism stories. I think my biggest problem with vampires was when Anne Rice, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vampire: The Masquerade, the Underworld films and the Blade movies really popularized the idea of their being thousands or millions of vampires around the world, which always seemed nuts to me. Almost universally, the rarer something is, the more powerful/dangerous it is. One Kryptonian is a menace. A dozen Kryptonians are an immense threat. 100+ Kryptonians will somehow be mooks that the Justice League can power through.

To me, Vampires work better when they're very rare, like there should only ever be a couple dozen or so on the planet at any time (never more than 50 or 60), with Dracula being a Dr. Doom like threat and the next 12 or so vampires all being major named threats in their own right. Every vampire would have the potential to be a Dracula class threat, but creating a new vampire is a major expenditure of power and resources, so it doesn't happen often. Vampire hunters then are some of the most respected monster hunters in the world, because they take on the big league threats, and also have the highest death rate of any monster hunter (partially due to a lot of young idiot hunters think'll they'll be the next Simon Belmont and getting murdered for it). With the wide range of powers they have, every vampire should be a major threat, a match for most superheroes, and a gathering of multiple vampires should be scary as hell.
Yeah, the Inverse Law of Ninjitsu is a bitch- add in too many of something, and they instantly Mook-ify. It's what writers do with Green Lanterns, everyone does with Ninja (The Hand are notorious for jobbing en masse), and even once-mighty things like Mindless Ones are often jobbed out in hordes.

I kinda like the idea of "tiers" of vampires- the regular rank & file can be barely tougher than people, but a vampire can get more powerful the older/more experienced they get (preferably through magical practice), so that "Master Vampires" are the elite of the elite.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I often forget or don't feel like posting the "To-Build" list, because I like how it can be a surprise sometimes, but here's the list of guys I'm building:

Old Builds (with new commentary):
Dracula
Hannibal King
Frank Drake
Blade
Quincy Harker
Deacon Frost
Frankenstein's Monster
Manphibian
The Living Mummy
Zombie
Werewolf By Night

All-New Builds:
Warwolf II & III
Shiklah
Lilith, Daughter of Dracula
Vampire By Night
Rachel Van Helsing
Jabroniville

Warwolf (Reyna)

Post by Jabroniville »

WARWOLF III (Martin Reyna)
Created By:
Richard Buckler
First Appearance: Nick Fury's Howling Commandos #1 (2005)
Role: Cartel Werewolves
Group Affiliations: The Howling Commandos (Monster Version)
PL 9 (136)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (The Spy Game) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+4)
Treatment 1 (+2)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent), Equipment 6 (Gear), Fast Grab, Languages (A Few), Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Lycanthropy"
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Regeneration 6 [6]

Equipment:
"Automatic Rifle" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (17) -- (20)
  • AE: "Standard Rifle Shot" Blast 6 (12)
    AE: "Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
    AE: "Grenade" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (20)
"S.H.I.E.L.D. Uniform" Protection 1, Protection 2 (Flaws: Limited to Ballistics) (2)
"Assorted Gear" (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Knife +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Pistol +7 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rifle +7 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (America, The World)- Though S.H.I.E.L.D. is supposedly an international organization, the President of the United States can disband it.
Weakness (Silver Bullets)- Silver weapons can easily kill werewolves- their toughness is drastically lowered against such weapons.
Normal Identity- Martin is ST 2, STA 3, AGI 2 in his base form.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 5 (136)

-A third Warwolf (Martin Reyna) appeared for no reason, and has a mechanical right arm that can imbed a program to turn him into a werewolf. Like... was the other one dead, or something?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.