Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Groo

Post by Jabroniville »

GROO THE WANDERER
Created By:
Sergio Aragones
First Appearance: Destroyer Duck #1 (May 1982)
Role: Conan Parody
Group Affiliations: Various Armies
PL 10 (84)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+10)
Intimidation 6 (+4)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Twin Katanas +3- Split, Improved Critical, Penetrating 5), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Sword) 2, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown 2

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Twin Katanas +14 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Getting Into "Frays")- Groo loves nothing more than to wade into large groups of men and kill everyone. He is so battle-hungry that he tends to jump into melee without properly assessing who is fighting whom, why, and which side he's actually on.
Responsibility (Accident-Prone)- Merely stepping on a ship can cause it to sink.
Relationship (Chakaal)- Groo loves the beautiful swordswoman, though she finds him useful only as a warrior, and detests him otherwise.
Relationship (Queen Grooella)- Grooella hates her boorish brother, in part because he permanently ruined her hair.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 18 (84)

-Groo the Wanderer is something I've really more HEARD OF than actually SEEN- he's mentioned a fair bit in that ancient Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades Bio-Book I own, and in the Marvel Soapbox pages (which advertised other books comic out), to the point where I assumed he was a bigger Marvel star than he really was. Groo himself is the Indie creation of Sergio Aragones, the most-famous and influential of the MAD Magazine comic strip makers, and is often written by Mark Evanier, Jack Kirby's old assistant and biographer (and well-known writer in his own right).

-Groo is a parody of the Sword & Sorcery Heroes that were popular in the 1970s, particularly Conan (then a Marvel license)- he's a giant idiot who's only good at swordfighting, and engages in slapstick adventures all over the world, most of which involve him directly and indirectly causing mayhem. His book has had a great deal of success- not really a mega-seller, but it's the longest-running Humor Comic in American history except for the Archie line (which has been running since the Golden Age), which is DEFINITELY saying something. It's also been passed around a LOT by various comic book companies- it's an original creation owned by Aragones, but Marvel licensed it out for a huge 120-issue run, ending only in 1994 when the Dark Age of Comics hit and the company crashed hard. This makes it one of VERY few Marvel titles featuring stars not directly owned by the company. It has since moved to Image and then Dark Horse Comics, where it still resides (albeit in sparse shots here and there, as Aragones is quite old).

-Groo is an absolute terror in a "fray", but is absolutely useless at everything else- a classic bumbler who couldn't tie his own shoes (if he lived in a world where there were shoelaces to be tied). He's PL 9.5, meaning that despite being a goof (only 84 points at HIS level??), he's strong enough to be a REAL challenge for an established super-hero.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gladiators! Gambit! Belladonna! Grotesk! Ma Gnucci!)

Post by Davies »

The story where Groo learns to read is a real heartbreaker, possibly the best thing Mr. Aragones or Mr. Evanier ever wrote.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:08 pm The story where Groo learns to read is a real heartbreaker, possibly the best thing Mr. Aragones or Mr. Evanier ever wrote.
Comedy is often better than straight drama for real emotions. How'd that story go?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken had this classic tale when I last posted Groo:
My favourite Sergio Aragones story is actually from his time in on TV. Mark Evanier tells this story about from the time they were working on the Half Hour Comedy Hour:

Originally Posted by Mark Evanier
"This was one of the most beautiful women in the world, and she wore this dress that was very revealing. So much so, the censors wouldn't let us put her on the air in it without adding some material. So we're all talking to her, the writers and whoever, just in awe of this woman. And Sergio comes walking in looking like a homeless person, carrying his portfolio. And Jayne sees him and she shouts, 'Sergio!' and she runs over and starts kissing him passionately. They'd worked together before, it turned out. But Johnny Carson comes walking out into the hallway and he thinks Jayne Kennedy is being sexually assaulted by a homeless person in the NBC hallways. He came over to make sure she was okay. She said it was fine, that she knew him, and I said, 'It's okay, he's a cartoonist.' So Johnny gives that classic look and he says, 'I knew I should have taken up drawing.'"
Jabroniville

Golem (Monster)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GOLEM I
Created By:
Len Wein & John Buscema
First Appearance: Strange Tales #174 (June 1974)
Group Affiliations: S.H.I.E.L.D.
Role: Monster
PL 8 (59)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle

Powers:
"Large Size" Reach [1]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Responsibility (Controllers)- The Golem is usually controlled by others.
Weakness (Leaving the Earth)- The Golem retains power only so long as it is in contact with the Earth.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 6 (59)

-The Golem is an obscure character who appeared briefly during the 1970s, then took a massive break until 2012. He is an actual golem created by Judah Loew Ben Bezalel as part of Hebrew mythology- protecting Jews from prosecution in Prague. Years later, another Jewish man animated it using his own life force. The creature appears as part of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s  Monster Force.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

The only story I remember the Golem from was an issue of Marvel Two-in-One where it teamed up with the Thing to do...something. It really wasn't that compelling of a story (with a one-shot, no-name villain), but I remember the Golem.
Jabroniville

Golem (Goldstein)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GOLEM II (Jacob Goldstein)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Frank Robbins
First Appearance: The Invaders #12 (Jan. 1977)
Group Affiliations: None
Role: Hulk-Like Being
PL 8 (66)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 0 (+2, +4 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle

Powers:
Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The Nazis)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 13 (66)

-This Golem was part of a ghetto (the original meaning of the term- "poor place where Jews got shoved", essentially) in Warsaw, Poland during World War II. He was transformed (by Cabalic magic) into a Golem in order to fight the Nazis. He appeared a couple of times in the Invaders' book, then again in the 1992 edition of Invaders, but has not appeared elsewhere- generally he just forms to righteously kick some Nazi ass, then disappears.

-A third Golem has appeared, but is a minor foe of The Hood who's just a normal gangster.
Jabroniville

Golddigger

Post by Jabroniville »

"As you can see, Captain- my Shrinking Waist Disease is CONTAGIOUS!! Muaahahahahahahahahha!!!"

GOLDDIGGER (Angela Golden)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Rik Levins
First Appearance: Captain America #389 (Aug. 1981)
Role: Jobber Villain, Melee Fighter
PL 7 (95)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills: 
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Attractive, Daze (Deception), Fast Grab, Fascinate (Deception), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack

Powers:
"Martial Arts Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 12 (95)

-Golddigger's an alias The Scourge of the Underworld used to infiltrate The UCWF and kill Titania I, but this version's a real character, basically with a pretty obvious gimmick, given her name. She uses her looks and feminine wiles to get what she wants. She basically did all of nothing, and was merely a background character in a couple of Gruenwald's "Horde of Jobbers" scenes (working for Damon Dran), so she doesn't end up very tough at all. Hell, she's only PL 6.5 offensively & defensively. Such is the price for being a minor-league character who never did anything. She's actually better at interpersonal skills than at anything else.

Here's a... ah, better picture of her. Curiously, I think it's by the same artist. Rik Levins is NOT known for consistency. Well, he's not known for ANYTHING, but now I'm just babbling...
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Re: Golddigger

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:52 pm GOLDDIGGER (Angela Gold)
Cute picture.
Last edited by Ken on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 pm
Davies wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:08 pm The story where Groo learns to read is a real heartbreaker, possibly the best thing Mr. Aragones or Mr. Evanier ever wrote.
Comedy is often better than straight drama for real emotions. How'd that story go?
There's not really much to it, Groo winds up working for a great library and gets taught how to read, and for a while he puts away the swords and enjoys himself in this new business. But trouble follows him and the library ends up getting burnt and Groo ends up having to fight to save just a little bit, and in the end he must resume his wandering, but now he knows that there's so much more to life than frays and he wishes things were different, and I'm not even coming close to describing this story, sigh.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Here's a decent summary of the issue: http://warren-peace.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... ng-is.html
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Goldbug

Post by Jabroniville »

GOLDBUG (Matthew Gilden)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Lee Elias
First Appearance: Power Man #41 (March 1977)
Role: Jobber Villain
PL 8 (108)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+12)
Technology 7 (+12)

Advantages: 
Equipment 10 (Bugship, Aqua Regia Solution- Weakens Metals), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Goldbug Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [13]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Protection 4 (4)
Features 1: Parachute (1)
Immunity 1 (Own Gold-Dust) (1)
-- (16 points)

"Gold-Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
"Gold-Dust" Snare 8 (Diminished Range -1) (23 points)

Equipment:
"Bugship"
As Helicopter plus:
"Gold Plating" Toughness 11 (2)
"Titanium Grapplers" Snare 8 (Diminished Range -2) (22) -- (24)
  • AE: Laser Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Strength-Drainer" Weaken Strength 6 (Extras: Ranged) (Diminished Range -2) (10)
"Radar Scanners" Senses 4 (Accurate Radius Radio Sense) (4)
Features 1: Suction Cups (1)
"Cloaking Device" Concealment 2 (Vision) (Flaws: Limited to Technology) (2)
-- (49 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Armour Boost +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+7 Armour), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Tyrannus)- Tyrannus is controlling Goldbug's fortunes, and forces him to do his will.
Motivation (GOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD!!!)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 7 (108)

-Goldbug is a standard Jobber Villain, created to mess with Luke Cage before getting involved in a scheme along with The Hulk and others, searching for The Lost City of El Dorado. After that, he fought Spider-Man (contracting radiation poisoning because of some irradiated gold), then Namor the Sub-Mariner. The guy gets around, being a true jobber. He later showed up as an obscure villain in "Secret War", challenging Nick Fury's crew. After that, he was captured by the Heroes For Hire as part of Civil War, but escaped to Captain America's Secret Avengers, where he and The Plunderer were both shot dead by The Punisher, setting off a fight between Frank & Cap. Quite the ignominious end for this loser.

-It was pointed out in my 2014 posting of this character that he's a pastiche of Charlton's Blue Beetle, packing a similar logo, a Flying Ship, and a gun with non-lethal attacks. An interesting choice by his creators, since Ted Kord wasn't a terribly big name at the time.

-Goldbug combines a strength-boosting piece of Armour with a Gold-Gun that can solify targets using "Gold Dust", though it's not real gold.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Gale

Post by Jabroniville »

Why are so many ComicVine image-captures in foreign languages, anyway?

GALE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Terry Kavanagh & Mike Lackey
First Appearance: Web of Spider-Man Annual #10 (1994)
Role: Jobber Villain, Powerhouse
PL 7 (59)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Perception 2 (+2)
Persuasion 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Close Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Uncontrolled Power)- Gale cannot properly control her superhuman strength, often hurting people or breaking regular objects.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (59)

-Gale is a muscular, black female bodybuilder who OH GOD MY KEYBOARD. I mean, um, she's a minor character from Web of Spider-Man (then the FOURTH-tier Spidey book!) who gets treatment at Ravencroft Maximum Security Institution, trying to control her super-strength. Shriek ends up at the same facility, and escapes, freeing Gale and others (including forgotten villain Mayhem) in the process. Feeding off of their pain, Shriek sends them against Spider-Man & John Jameson, but she's KO'd by a tranquilizer dart, and the victims go back to their cells.

-Gale is pretty much a jacked-up bystander, though apparently has some combat training. Most of her bios list her ability to "resist sedatives", so her Fortitude is quite high.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gambit! Belladonna! Grotesk! Ma Gnucci! Golems!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Up next: Graviton and his short-lived alliance that represented the Unified Field Theory. This theory is all about the forces that make up the universe- Gravity, Electromagnetism, the Weak Force and the Strong Force. Now, I have NO IDEA what all that really means, because I ran screaming from High School Physics over a decade ago, and I could barely make heads or tails of it THEN. But needless to say, Graviton is an uber-powerful guy with some fairly-tough allies, and they fought the West Coast Avengers in Steve Englehart's run. This is during the infamous "Slutty Tigra" era, which, much like the "JanSlap" Pym Era, ended up sticking with the character almost permanently (many an online article is about Tigra's sluttiness). Despite the fact that Tigra's sluttiness was supposed to be a phase brought on by her cat-like nature, and she recovered by the story's end. Here, she was pretty much dry-humping the entire Avengers squad, and THEN fell immediately for Graviton. Fast-forward a few dozen years, and most writers having not used her long-term, and suddenly every time Tigra showed up, she was flirting with some hero or another. She's sorta hooked up with Starfox & Hank Pym in the meantime, though the character matured a bit and is now pretty normal.

But I digress- these guys have an interesting batch of powers, and I did them for 2e, but I've since actually collected the comics in which they appeared, so I have a better sense of them. They challenged the West Coasters for a bit, but started betraying each other and faltered. Al Milgrom did the art for this time period, and he seems to alternate between "Generic '80s Art" and "Horrifying Half-Assed Crap" with each and every panel- this guy DEFINES "Hit or Miss". His Tigra will look attractive in one panel, and then have a mouth full of gross canine teeth that stick right out. And she doesn't have a tail here- was she always supposed to have one?
Jabroniville

Graviton

Post by Jabroniville »

GRAVITON (Franklin Hall)
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #158 (April 1977)
Role: Team Threat
Group Affiliations: The Unified Field Theory
PL 16 (310)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Deception 4 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+16) -- Flaws: Limited to Physical Sciences
Technology 4 (+10)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Gravitic Blasts) 4 (+10)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Taunt, Ultimate Effort (Gravity Lift)

Powers:
"Mastery of Gravitons" 
"Gravity Manipulation" Move Object 16 (Feats: Increased Mass 8- 400,000 tons, Subtle, Precise) (Extras: Perception Range, Continuous) [72]

"Gravity Control" Affliction 16 (Strength; Impaired, Hindered & Vulnerable/Disabled, Restrained & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Ranged, Selective, Extra Condition +2) (Flaws: Instant Recovery) (81) -- [99]
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravity Control" Affliction 16 (Strength; Impaired, Hindered & Vulnerable/Disabled, Restrained & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Ranged, Selective, Extra Condition +2) (Flaws: Instant Recovery) (81)
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravity Control" Affliction 16 (Strength; Impaired, Hindered & Vulnerable/Disabled, Restrained & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Extra Condition +2) (Flaws: Instant Recovery) (65)
  • Dynamic AE: Environment 8 (1 mile) (Impede Movement 2) (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: Deflect 15 (Feats: Dynamic) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravitic Force" Blast 20 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 12) (53)
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravity Beam" Damage 16 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +2) (72)
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravity Wave" Damage 16 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 250ft. Cone +3) (72)
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravity Storm" Damage 16 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (72)
  • Dynamic AE: "Full Force Field" Force Field 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 12, Affects Others 12) (24)
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- High & Low Gravity) [4]
"Manipulate Own Gravitons" Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Gravitic Force Field" Force Field 9 (Extras: Impervious 13) [22]
"Gravitic Detection" Senses 4 (Detect Gravity- Acute & Accurate) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gravity Control +15 (+15 Perception Affliction, DC 25)
Gravity Beam +16 Area (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Gravitic Force +10 (+20 Ranged Damage, DC 35)
Gravity Area Attacks +15 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Gravity Area Holding +15 (+15 Affliction, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5 (+14 Force Field, +17 Full Field, +6-12 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications: 
Motivation (Power)- A man of tremendous ego, Graviton is insistent that he must become a God, and all people should worship him. This is such a part of him that he can easily be provoked into bragging.
Secret (Self-Loathing)- Graviton's grasp of his self-esteem is nonetheless tenuous, and he's more than once been convinced to flee or kill himself or something.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 215 / Defenses: 14 (310)

-Graviton is a SERIOUS heavy-hitter and World-Threatening-Level villain, which kind of seems funny when you consider that he's not that famous. Problem is, he's just some generic Scientist Who Goes Crazy After An Accident, turns into Generic Megalomaniac, and brings nothing else to the table. Too bad- Gravity Control is such a rarely-used power (Light Lass, Star Boy, Gravity and only a handful of others, none famous) that I wish more of these guys could get known, but he's just too dime-a-dozen in personality. His Power Levels are ridiculous- he can lift ISLANDS, and entire buildings, thousands of miles into the stratosphere while still doing other stuff- the guy's ridiculously strong. He shows up fairly rarely, and usually gets stopped by his own flaws (he's crazy and easily convinced to kill himself or run away). He's shown up from time-to-time, but is always stopped through trickery or some cheap tactics.

-Graviton gains powers and goes nuts, taking over his facility in the Canadian Rockies. This calls in The Avengers, who are swiftly defeated- The Black Panther summons Thor, who is able to hold off the bad guy for a while before they convince him that someone he cares about has committed suicide. A distracted Graviton collapses the entire facility upon himself and vanishes. He reappears having mutated into a 50-foot tall being, but implodes while fighting The Thing & Black Bolt. He then reappears fighting Thor, and is beaten and trapped in an alternate dimension. It was after THIS that Englehart used him for the West Coast Avengers, but he was beaten by his own mind again, and later beat up by Cosmic Spider-Man.

-All of this credibility-straining stuff left him off the shelf for a good while, until he showed up in Thunderbolts with a much-better costume. This appearance humiliated him frequently- Moonstone emasculates him and insults his lack of self-esteem, refusing to lower herself to sexually-servicing him for mercy (she basically laughs at the very idea). He's beaten by sticking Machine Man's gravity-canceling bands on his body (he collapses in on himself), but eventually sacrifices himself to save the Earth from alien invasion. He appears on The Raft with a bunch of other forgotten villains (others of whom were also supposed to be dead)- he then became a bit of an Iron Man foe and suffered a de-powering. He was even casually-defeated by a member of the Avengers' children from the future! He's arguably best-known these days for being the first big villain faced by the heroes in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which gave him a more generic "I am an evil hobo" look, but made BIG use of his power, depicting him lifting Manhattan around and needing a whole team of Avengers to beat him (in a fight scene the show never quite equalled, and one of the best cartoon fights ever PERIOD). 

-Graviton occasionally boasts near-PL X level powers (firing a rock in China through someone in Australia's head, WHILE IN LOS ANGELES), but I think PL 16 serves the "usual" version well- he would BEAT THE CRAP out of an entire squad of Avengers, and he's two full PLs higher than THOR. He's like Magneto on crack, using vast powers (Area Line Damage +16 to make PL, the ability to lift over 50,000 tons with ease) to wipe out entire teams of people. He has two separate Arrays, split so he can do both at once- he can keep an entire facility (and the rock it's sitting on) aloft thousands of feet into the air, while throwing helicopters, superheroes and rocks around, all while Flying and keeping up his Force Field. He can use both Movement-based powers at Perception Range, and his Area Effects have ranges into the hundreds of feet. To say he's a team effort is a drastic understatement- the most-common way to win is to screw with his head- he's got a weak grip on his own sanity, and will Will Save sucks.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.