Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Roxy

Post by Jabroniville »

ROXY
Role:
Female Mook, Miss Fanservice, Trans Character (MAYBE)
PL 4 (65)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+14)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Daze (Deception), Equipment (Whip +0- Reach 1, Handcuffs), Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Takedown

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Prejudice (Well, YOU Know...)- Roxy may or may not be transgender in some way.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (65)

-oh God- poor Roxy. You'd think with all of Poison's history being what it is, that her Pallette Swap with a VERY similar history would end up being somewhat well-known as well. But nope.

-Roxy was, like so many other characters, a Pallette Swap of a more important character. An orange-haired version of Poison, she had only a half-bar of Health, and was thus easily-defeated, even though she flipped around with the same ability Poison had. Now, her history at first was similar to Poison's- the term "newhalf" appeared beneath BOTH Roxy & Poison simultaneously, after all. Naturally, she was also given the "they're transvestites" explanation at first, then altered into a male character in the SNES release. However, while Poison was often described as trans after this, Roxy was sometimes given a DIFFERENT origin- that of a standard-issue (cisgender) woman who was displeased with Poison's "cross-dressing". After that, though, she basically disappears from the narrative. Poison goes on to become a symbol of controversy, and an LGBT icon (well, such as any game character CAN be one in her era, I guess)... while Roxy just kind of disappears. I guess it'd be TOO much of a coincidence for TWO women of exactly the same appearance to have the same origin and nature (though I could believe that Roxy was inspired by Poison's bravery and what-have-you and got herself modified to look the same- plastic surgeons can easily make a trans person "pass" in this day and age).

-Roxy ends up as a PL 4 version of Poison- not an elite member of the Mad Gear Gang at all.

-Billy & Sid, the SNES replacements for the ladies, are belly-shirt wearing punk kids who generally fight and behave in the same way. Billy is PL 6, and Sid is PL 4.
Jabroniville

Dean

Post by Jabroniville »

DEAN
Role:
The Average Guy of Final Fight 3
PL 8 (99)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Mad Gear Gang)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (99)

-Dean is 6'6", and so is a slightly-bigger version of Carlos & Cody- an "Average Guy" of sorts in Final Fight 2 nonetheless.
Jabroniville

Lucia

Post by Jabroniville »

LUCIA MORGAN
Role:
The Fast Fighter of Final Fight 3
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+14)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Mad Gear Gang)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (107)

-Lucia is a Metro City police officer, loyal to Mike Haggar after the Mayor helped clear her of corruption charges. Though I'm not sure her jean jacket, hot pants and bikini top are Metro PD Standard Issue.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Final Fight! Rolento! Cody! Guy! Haggar! Poison!)

Post by Arkrite »

I'd vote for that guy.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

As to Poison being trans and pre or post op, I will refer to an old Night Court episode where an old friend of Dan's shows up and is a post op trans. They are arguing, Phil the bum shows up and says she is a real dish and Dan says she used to be a man. Phil's response to that is perfect, "What's your point?" is all he says in response. Sorry, all the talk of transsexuals in relation to Poison brought memories of that episode back. :oops:
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Huh, yeah, poison, that's cool.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

In a bit of side news Jab might appreciate, in the latest issue of G.I. Joe (as opposed to G.I.Joe: Real American Hero, which is a separate book written by Larry Hama), we finally had a Quick Kick versus Snake-Eyes fight, and Quick Kick actually won.

And I hated every second of it.

The source of the problem is Aubrey Sitterson, a guy who got in hot water recently for claiming that "Only the people in lower Manhattan have the right o mourn on 9/11", because for some reason that pissed a lot of people off. And he really does not get G.I.Joe.

A former military man and comics reviewer made the point that "Superheroes are a power fantasy, G.I.Joe is a loyalty fantasy", which actually makes sense. One of the most appealing aspects of G.I.Joe was that you were on a team who had your back no matter what. You had things like Dusty going back to retrieve the body of a fallen teammate, Snake-Eyes single-handedly storming Cobra installations to either rescue a friend or help a brother get revenge, these were people who had your back.

And like Capt. America, the Joes stood for America more than any political party. If anything, the Joes disliked politics in general and just wanted to focus on their job: defending their country, doing what was asked of them, and serving their fellow men loyally.

What Sitterson did was have Quick Kick challenge Snake-Eyes to a fight, solely because QK wanted everyone to know he was the best martial artist in the world. And the entire issue is QK talking about how good he is, how SE let himself get soft because he was so use to being the best, essentially tearing down SE in order to build up QK as the best martial artist. We even get stupid things like Snake-Eyes pulling a knife during an unarmed sparring matching, Quick Kick having secretly worn an 80 pound training vest during the first half of the fight (like he was in frickin Dragon Ball Z or Naruto), and basically ends with Snake-Eyes on his knees surrendering to Quick Kick. Sitterson is having Quick Kick announce to the reader every reason why Snake-Eyes isn't as cool as they think he is, and why Quick Kick is better.

And I HAAAAAAATED it. Because I think that in a Joe setting, Quick Kick SHOULD be at least as good as Snake-Eyes in terms of overall combat skill, with SE having better stealth skills while QK is better in pure unarmed combat. But this should have, at best, been a friendly sparring match where neither Quick Kick or Snake-Eyes speak, and instead it's people who know them both commenting on the fight, their fighting styles, etc. Something that made the point about how good Quick Kick is without making Snake-Eyes look bad.

It just comes off as so . . . petty. So not G.I.Joe.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, that sounds dumb. What I'd prefer is something like Ringo/Tommy in Hitman, where after six trades worth of people going "who would win in a fight between these two A-class gunfighters?", Ringo just says "that's something for children to think about. Not friends". He & Tommy basically put that rivalry (which never really existed) behind them and worked on being mutual ass-kickers.
Jabroniville

FF2 Bosses

Post by Jabroniville »

FINAL FIGHT 2 BOSSES
Role:
Bosses
PL 8 (94)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Mad Gear Gang)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (94)

-Final Fight 2 doesn't have terribly-great Boss designs (another flaw in the game). Most are the same big guy, though they include Rolento (from the original; he was taken out of the SNES version, and so gets in here as an apology).

The Bosses:
WON WON- PL 8 (96): Leaping 1, Equipment (Cleaver +1) [2]
-A giant Chinese guy, Won Won is the first level's Boss. His big move is a giant Flying Elbow Drop, but he's quite slow. He wields a Cleaver (just modify his accuracy down a notch).
FREDDIE- PL 8 (96): Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+4) [2]
-Freddie is the second-level boss, and is a huge black guy who was kicked out of the army for frequent fighting.

PHILLIPE- PL 8 (100): Leaping 1, STRENGTH -2, STAMINA -2, AGILITY +2, FIGHTING +2, Equipment (Cane +1), Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge (remove All-Out Attack), Expertise (Circus) 6 (+6) [6]
-Phillipe is a tall clown wielding a cane and an acrobatic fighting style. His caps are moved around, but he's still a PL 8 guy.
BRATKEN- PL 8 (97): STRENGTH +2, STAMINA +2, FIGHTING -2, Dodge -1 [3]
-Bratken is an idiot with childlike intelligence- a somewhat iffy example of the bad guys using someone with an actual mental handicap as a minion. He's even larger than the Andore Family and Abigail, but is quite slow.
RETU- PL 9 (106): Leaping 1, STRENGTH +1, STAMINA +1, FIGHTING +1, AGILITY +2, Criminal +4 [12]
-Retu is the game's final boss, and dresses like a Traditional Japanese Villain, complete with fearsome Kabuki facepaint. He fights well, but Maki ultimately kills him by kicking him out the window of her family's dojo- he dies the same way Belger did in the first game.
Jabroniville

FF3 Bosses

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

FINAL FIGHT 3 BOSSES
Role:
Bosses
PL 8 (94)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (94)

-Final Fight 3's bosses are even lazier than those of Final Fight 2- they're just a bunch of big, muscular guys. They're all members of the Skull Cross Gang.

The Bosses:
DAVE- PL 8 (96): Expertise (Cop) 4 (+4) [2]
-Dave is a boring-looking rip-off of Edi. E from the first game- a big corrupt cop.
CALLMAN- PL 8 (94):
-Callman is a dull-looking guy in nice clothes, but at least has the decency to be 8 feet tall.
CAINE- PL 8 (94):
-Caine is a hulking lummox with sunglasses and a doo-rag (or a tiny cap, I guess), and carries around a wrench. His hands and arms are HUGE, giving him ape-like proportions.
WONG- PL 8 (94):
-Also enormous, Wong is very muscular and bald save a giant top-knot, marking him as our "Chinese" character. Plus he's got those "Buddhist beads" on him.
DRAKE- PL 8 (94): ST 4, STA 4, Equipment (Anchor +1), Expertise (Sailor) 6 (+6) [0]
-Drake is a muscular sailor with an anchor for a weapon.
STRAY- PL 8 (92): ST 3, STA 4, FIGHTING 12 [-2]
-Stray, unusually, is average-sized and looks like a hobo.
BLACK- PL 9 (113): INT 1, AWA 3, PRE 4, FIGHTING 13, Equipment (Throwing Knives +3), Ranged Attack 4 [19]
-Black is another big guy, wearing military gear (his flexing tears open his army jacket) and wielding a riding crop and throwing knives. He is, of course, a knock-off of a Fist of the North Star character, The Colonel, much like Rolento and Heidern (of King of Fighters fame) are.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:55 am Huh, yeah, poison, that's cool.

EPIC.

It's like Sabin or whatever from Final Fantasy III/VI was all "Bro, I once suplexed a TRAIN- beat that!" And Haggar's just like "... Hold my beer."
Jabroniville

The Andores

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ANDORE FAMILY (Andore, Father Andore, Grandfather Andore & Andore Jr.- later on)
Role:
Elite Mook, Grappler
PL 8 (77)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+9)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Power Punch" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+6 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 12 (77)

-The Andore Family are huge icons in the Final Fight series- obviously being homages to the late Andre the Giant (who was a legend in Japan as well as North America), they took up the "Abobo" role as distinctive Giant Mooks that could deliver massive beat-downs to the heroes. And it WORKED- The Andores are easily the most well-known Final Fight baddies- certainly more than the last two Bosses, or any of the other Mooks. Ask someone who the best bad guy from Final Fight was, and they'll ALL name the guy you fight a million of, instead of a Stage Boss.

-Hugo, from the Street Fighter series has been revealed to have been the main "Andore"- a pink-clad bruiser who is seen most-often, alongside the red-wearing Andore Jr., who is his younger brother. Father Andore wears yellow, and is apparently Hugo's dad. Grandfather Andore wears light blue, and is obviously F. Andore's father. There's apparently an Uncle Andore, but I didn't see him in the online playthroughs, so I'm not sure where this grey-wearing Andore stands. Andore, F. Andore & G. Andore all match this statline, and Andore Jr. hits this level in the later stages as well. Simple and powerful, all of the Andores are mighy PL 8 Grapplers, which isn't anything to sneeze at, given their hitting power (+6 damage will put a HURTING on someone like Cody or Guy, and +9 accuracy can most of them on a slightly-above-average roll).

ANDORE JR.
Role:
Elite Mook, Grappler
PL 7 (71)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+2)
Intimidation 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Power Punch" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 9 (71)

-The weakest Andores in the game are the "Andore Jr." types- guys in all red who are apparently Hugo/Andore's younger brother. The SF III bios for Hugo only mention sisters, however. But continuity may have shifted since then.- it's not like the existence of third and fourth-tier Andores are that important to the overall Fighting Franchise. Later on in the game, Andore Jr. appears with a green Health Bar like the other members of his family- otherwise, he's got a single yellow bar, the same length as the Main Heroes, Bill Bull, Poison, Wong Who, Simons & El Gado. This makes him PL 6 defensively, but his strength puts him at PL 7 still (though if you go by strict game-logic, he's equal offensively to the rest of his family, as all Andores do the same level of damage as far as I can tell).
Jabroniville

Hugo

Post by Jabroniville »

HUGO ANDORE
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
First Appearance: Final Fight (1989)
Home Country: Germany
Role:[/b] The Powerhouse, Hugest Guy Ever, Mighty Glacier
Vague Martial Art Basis: Professional Wrestling
PL 10 (112)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+8)
Athletics 3 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+12)
Expertise (Pro Wrestler) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+3)
Intimidation 13 (+13)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Improved Critical (Special Moves) 2, Improved Grab, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage For 1 Round with HP Spent), Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Takedown (total 2)

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Power Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]

"Special Moves"
"Ultra-Throw- Irish Whip" Strength-Damage +0 Linked to Affliction 7 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (Inaccurate -1) (6) -- [8]
  • AE: "Shootdown Backbreaker/Giant Palm Bomber/Monster Lariat" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Airborne Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Moonsault Press" Strength-Damage +3 (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Special Moves +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Moonsault Press +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Ultra-Throw +10 (+7 Damage & +7 Affliction, DC 22 & 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7 (+8 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Tag Team Partner)- Hugo wants a new tag team partner after his last one was killed. This will be accomplished by beating the $#!% out of people.
Relationship (Poison)- Hugo is easily led by his partner, Poison.
Rivalry (Alex)- Hugo & Alex oppose each other like Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan.
Responsibility (Slow)- Hugo is very slow and plodding compared to others- he cannot jump as high, nor as far, as most Street Fighters.
Weakness (Predictability)- Hugo, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 + 13 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 16 (112)

-The "Andore" Mooks hadn't been seen in years by the time Hugo made his debut in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, so it was quite bizarre to see him- his ilk hadn't been seen in the Final Fight-heavy Alpha games at all, and PLUS- he was a MOOK! However, the game made his Andre the Giant basis even MORE pronounced (complete with a "Hulk Hogan (vs) Andre the Giant Stand-Off Pose" with the wrestling-themed Alex), and turned him into a colossal, eight-foot tall, incredibly-strong threat. THIS GUY was no mere Mook.

-Hugo was now the biggest powerhouse in the series, with slow speed to match. I found him a bit... odd in design, though. His movements seemed very awkward, and he was more "confused"-looking than Andre, who was often clumsy (prone to getting tied in the ropes), but not an imbecile. Capcom has revealed that he is, in fact, the baseline "Andore", though this should be clear by his pink outfit- he was probably the most iconic one in Final Fight, but he wasn't the most-powerful (though stronger than Andore Jr., his red-wearing brother).

-Fighting Style: Hugo's PL 10-ish like Alex in SF III, being fairly accurate for such a lumbering mook, but he almost always uses Power Attack. He's not a PRETTY PL 10 by any means (under caps on defense, and PL 9.5 in melee), but he's nigh-unstoppable, and possesses the most damaging attacks in SF history, even unarmed with no Special Moves! He's so tough that the "official" story for SFIII is that he took a full-on Shin Shoryuken from Ryu to the chin, and DIDN'T EVEN FALL. He lost the match eventually, but that moment alone proved how bad-ass he was. I love little things like that- it isn't ultra-stupid or Power-Geeky, doesn't diminish another character in any way, yet makes both guys out to be amazing fighters (Hugo gets the "he's impossibly-tough" push, and Ryu still gets to win the fight).

-His moves are a bit varied, and based off of Pro Wrestling moves. His Ultra Throw is like an Irish Whip (amusingly, in pro wrestling, if you're thrown into the ropes, you HAVE to keep running, and then run all the way back. Somehow this eluded the kids and ADULTS who thought it was all real)- the guy bounces off the "wall" and is thus set up for further offense (a Stunning/Defenseless Affliction)- it's a big part of Hugo's Combos in the game, which kind of works the same way as messing up someone's defenses. His Moonsault Press is a high-powered damaging grapple move (though a few wrestlers do "grab the guy and do a backflip" moves, none are anywhere near Hugo's size- Scott Steiner was the largest at 280 lbs., and even HE messed up his Blockbuster Slam so often that he eventually stopped using it). The Shootdown Backbreaker is a grab that targets mid-air guys. His Giant Palm Bomber (essentially the Hulk's "hand clap") and Monster Lariat are standard-issue damaging attacks, so I tied it in with the Shootdown Backbreaker, which would otherwise by the same thing but with the added accuracy of the Feat.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! Cody! Guy! Haggar! Poison! Hugo!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Another great Bobby Heenan moment:

Andre the Giant, the most hated Monster Heel of all time, turned babyface... because Bobby Heenan slapped him once.

Or the Bret/Piper WrestleMania match. When Bret goes down with a knee injury, Monsoon expresses concern. Heenan immediately shouts "Yeah, or he's GOLD-BRICKIN'!" A disgusted Monsoon can only reply "He is NOT." At which point Bret IMMEDIATELY jumps up, rolls up Piper, and nearly pins him. Heenan is practically jumping up and down with glee that Bret would do something so dishonest.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 am In a bit of side news Jab might appreciate, in the latest issue of G.I. Joe (as opposed to G.I.Joe: Real American Hero, which is a separate book written by Larry Hama), we finally had a Quick Kick versus Snake-Eyes fight, and Quick Kick actually won.

And I hated every second of it.

The source of the problem is Aubrey Sitterson, a guy who got in hot water recently for claiming that "Only the people in lower Manhattan have the right o mourn on 9/11", because for some reason that pissed a lot of people off. And he really does not get G.I.Joe.

A former military man and comics reviewer made the point that "Superheroes are a power fantasy, G.I.Joe is a loyalty fantasy", which actually makes sense. One of the most appealing aspects of G.I.Joe was that you were on a team who had your back no matter what. You had things like Dusty going back to retrieve the body of a fallen teammate, Snake-Eyes single-handedly storming Cobra installations to either rescue a friend or help a brother get revenge, these were people who had your back.

And like Capt. America, the Joes stood for America more than any political party. If anything, the Joes disliked politics in general and just wanted to focus on their job: defending their country, doing what was asked of them, and serving their fellow men loyally.

What Sitterson did was have Quick Kick challenge Snake-Eyes to a fight, solely because QK wanted everyone to know he was the best martial artist in the world. And the entire issue is QK talking about how good he is, how SE let himself get soft because he was so use to being the best, essentially tearing down SE in order to build up QK as the best martial artist. We even get stupid things like Snake-Eyes pulling a knife during an unarmed sparring matching, Quick Kick having secretly worn an 80 pound training vest during the first half of the fight (like he was in frickin Dragon Ball Z or Naruto), and basically ends with Snake-Eyes on his knees surrendering to Quick Kick. Sitterson is having Quick Kick announce to the reader every reason why Snake-Eyes isn't as cool as they think he is, and why Quick Kick is better.

And I HAAAAAAATED it. Because I think that in a Joe setting, Quick Kick SHOULD be at least as good as Snake-Eyes in terms of overall combat skill, with SE having better stealth skills while QK is better in pure unarmed combat. But this should have, at best, been a friendly sparring match where neither Quick Kick or Snake-Eyes speak, and instead it's people who know them both commenting on the fight, their fighting styles, etc. Something that made the point about how good Quick Kick is without making Snake-Eyes look bad.

It just comes off as so . . . petty. So not G.I.Joe.
Reading this sound almost as bad as some of the original ninja-fest issues from the original series by Marvel (which was generally well written). I understand that some writers feel the need to take characters that turned into giant memetic problems and taken them down several pegs. Heck, I felt that every time I sat down to write any kind of character sheet for M&M, but there are many different ways to do it and this looks and sound like one of the worst.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)