Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Ulik the Troll

Post by Jabroniville »

ULIK THE TROLL
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Thor #137 (Feb. 1967)
Role: Thor's Personal Punching Bag
Group Affiliations: The Rock Trolls
PL 12 (177)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 16 (+16)
Perception 6 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical 2 (Uru Knuckles, Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
Power-Lifting 3 (50,000 tons) [3]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 17) [18]
Senses 2 (Infravision, Acute Scent) [2]

"Strength Feats"
"Thunderclap" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24) -- [27]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Must Be Grounded) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (18)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Must Be Grounded) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (18)
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Must Be Grounded) (12)
"Uru Knuckles" (Flaws: Removable) (Feats: Indestructible) [4]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split, Improved Critical) (3 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+17 Damage, DC 21)
Uru Knuckles +6 (+18 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Thor, Asgard)- Like all Rock Trolls, Ulik despises the Asgardians for forcing them below the surface.
Motivation (Power)
Weakness (Iron)- Trolls are apprently vulnerable to iron, and small amounts of it can prove fatal.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 14 (177)

-Ulik, mightiest of the Rock Trolls, is a little-known Thor baddie, used in the old days just to give him someone he could REALLY slug it out with, and give Jack Kirby the opportunity to draw someone with two toes. He was a rock-hard bad-ass and nigh-unstoppable, but was limited by his stupidity, and the depth of Thor's villains roster in Asgardian Cosmology, so he never really went further. He's the minion of Geirrodur, the King of the Rock Trolls, and is usually sent against Thor in 1960s stories- he doesn't appear so often later. He is eventually killed in a 1991 storyline when Captain America throws a child's hammer made of iron (which hurts Trolls) into his mouth, but resurrects with the rest of Asgard following Ragnarok. Here, he's just a random brawler, one time replacing Thor during Fear Itself when the Odinson was temporarily-deceased.

-At PL 12, Ulik's a hardcore strongman, but still a pretty shoddy fighter overall, so he does LOTS of All-Out Attacking. He's as strong as Thor but worse at fighting, making him one of the stronger guys in the Marvel Universe. Ideal for challenging Thor one-on-one, but not one for plotting or scheming.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scots Dragon

Re: Jab's Builds! (Deathstroke! The Ringer! Thor Builds!)

Post by Scots Dragon »

I kinda think the Thor comics need to lean even more on characters like Ulik and exploit the fact that he's one quest to dispose of jewellery away from being an out-and-out J.R.R. Tolkien character. We could do with even more elves and trolls alongside the giants and aliens he fights. Especially since it'd allow Marvel's cinematic side to corner the market on the legion of fans who were really disappointed by the Hobbit trilogy.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Utgard-Loki

Post by Jabroniville »

UTGARD-LOKI
Created By:
Roy Thomas & John Buscema
First Appearance: Thor #272 (June 1978)
Role: Giant King
Group Affiliations: The Frost Giants of Jotunheim
PL 12 (210)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Frozen Wastelands) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+12, +16 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+3, -9 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 3 (King of Jotunheim), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Cold Terrain), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Axe) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"King of the Jotuns"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Disease) [3]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
"Giant Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light & Extended Vision) [2]
"Giant-Sized Limbs" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Impervious Toughness 13 [13]

"Arctic Creature"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic Terrain) [2]
Speed 2 (16 mph) [2]
"Norseman" Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 8 (-1) (Flaws: Limited to Arctic Terrain) [2]
Immunity 6 (Cold, Cold Damage) [6]

"Mystical Power"
"Transport Throughout Jotunheim" Teleport 10 (Extras: Attack, Perception Range +2, Accurate) (Flaws: Limited to Within Jotunheim) (50) -- [52]
  • AE: "Transport Others Throughout Jotunheim" Teleport 10 (Extras: Accurate) (Flaws: Limited to Within Jotunheim) (20)
  • AE: "Transform Into a Bird" Affliction 10 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Animal) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
"Huge-Ass Weapons" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Weapons +7 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Transport -- (+10 Perception Teleport, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +15 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (King of Jotunheim)
Motivation (Power)
Enemy (All Asgard)
Weakness (Fire, Heat)- Frost Giants are more easily-killed by heat. Loki once offed a couple in a single round with Fire Blasts.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 116 / Defenses: 24 (210)

Utgard-Loki in Mythology: Barely appearing in the comics, Utgard-Loki features in one of the most famous Norse stories, one even I'd read about as a kid- he allowed Thor, Loki & Thialfi into his home, playing tricks on them by casting illusions over various creatures in his household. The Norse were tricked, but U-L was horrified at the power they showed in their failing efforts- Thialfi raced against Thought, Loki tried to out-eat Wildfire, and Thor grappled with Old Age and the Midgard Serpent, and drank from a flagon that was attached to the very ocean itself. He announced his deceptions as the Gods left his home, saying he'd never have let them in if he'd known their might. Then he disappears.

-Utgard-Loki appears from time to time, generally as Yet Another Menacing Kingdom in the lore of Asgard- he's the King of the Frost Giants, though he's based off more of a trickster archetype- it's his castle in which Thor encounters various "tests" disguised as near-impossible tasks. He drinks from a cup attached to the sea (and drops the sea level), almost lifts The Midgard Serpent disguise as a cat, and actually wrestles with Old Age itself. But in Marvel, he's just a jerk who tries to attack Asgard every once in a while.

-He's powerful as hell, but lacks general smarts beyond "Hey, let's go kill things!" He & his Frost Giants are tough enough that a handful of them were able to beat Loki down and would have killed him had Thor not run in for the save, and another time he beat Karnilla using similar tactics (I think). He's PL 11.5, hits like a monster, and he sometimes has access to elite weaponry, like magic powders and stuff that can turn people to stone or make the weather colder (Affliction & Environment- Cold). He also has magical powers. The most difficult thing was assessing his height- almost anything could really suffice based off of appearances (as I noted in my Glossary, Giants are EXCEPTIONALLY prone to Transformers Scale Syndrome, and can appear only a couple times as large as a human in one panel, and 50 feet tall the next). Most pictures I've seen have guys like Loki appearing itty-bitty next to Frost Giants, so 48-feet seems like a good bet. It doesn't really change his capabilities anyhow, just his final cost.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BriarThrone

Re: Utgard-Loki

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:44 pmUtgard-Loki in Mythology: Barely appearing in the comics, Utgard-Loki features in one of the most famous Norse stories, one even I'd read about as a kid- he allowed Thor, Loki & Thialfi into his home, playing tricks on them by casting illusions over various creatures in his household. The Norse were tricked, but U-L was horrified at the power they showed in their failing efforts- Thialfi raced against Thought, Loki tried to out-eat Wildfire, and Thor grappled with Old Age and the Midgard Serpent, and drank from a flagon that was attached to the very ocean itself. He announced his deceptions as the Gods left his home, saying he'd never have let them in if he'd known their might. Then he disappears.
This is one of my favorite stories. It's fun, and it says a lot about the culture and the characters involved, and it's just so cool.

I like how Utgard-Loki confessed that his folk were all pretty horrified by how well Thor and Loki did in those challenges.
Last edited by BriarThrone on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:23 pm ULIK THE TROLL
I know it's probably pronounced Uh-like or Oo-leek or something like that, but everytime I see his name I think of it as 'You lick the Troll'...

As for Thor he can be a fun character, but feel like if they would have stuck to his overly aggressive, kind of dumb, but still goodhearted nature he would be more interesting. Come to think of it that's why I love Marvel's Hercules character :D.
Formerly luketheduke86
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

L-Space wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:04 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:23 pm ULIK THE TROLL
I know it's probably pronounced Uh-like or Oo-leek or something like that, but everytime I see his name I think of it as 'You lick the Troll'...

As for Thor he can be a fun character, but feel like if they would have stuck to his overly aggressive, kind of dumb, but still goodhearted nature he would be more interesting. Come to think of it that's why I love Marvel's Hercules character :D.
Honestly, my ideal version of Thor - like, my own personal Marvel Universe Thor - would be red-bearded, and a lot like Hercules, only more growly and less jovial. Unless he's sitting down with keg of beer and a ton of meat, obviously.

In much the same way, Sif would have the shining golden hair. I'm not sure I'd take away her warrior aspect completely - it sure makes her more interesting than the bland harvest goddess we barely hear about in the mythology - but the hair is so iconic to the legends that I'm outright miffed whenever I see her in comics.

... she'd have a sensible weapon, though.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

BriarThrone wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:13 pm Honestly, my ideal version of Thor - like, my own personal Marvel Universe Thor - would be red-bearded, and a lot like Hercules, only more growly and less jovial. Unless he's sitting down with keg of beer and a ton of meat, obviously.

In much the same way, Sif would have the shining golden hair. I'm not sure I'd take away her warrior aspect completely - it sure makes her more interesting than the bland harvest goddess we barely hear about in the mythology - but the hair is so iconic to the legends that I'm outright miffed whenever I see her in comics.

Plus then we could have storylines of drunk Thor and Hercules roaming around town trying to one up each other with feats of strength and skill :lol:.
Formerly luketheduke86
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

L-Space wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:20 pm
BriarThrone wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:13 pm Honestly, my ideal version of Thor - like, my own personal Marvel Universe Thor - would be red-bearded, and a lot like Hercules, only more growly and less jovial. Unless he's sitting down with keg of beer and a ton of meat, obviously.

Plus then we could have storylines of drunk Thor and Hercules roaming around town trying to one up each other with feats of strength and skill :lol:.
In such an event, I'd include a wrestling match. When Hercules strips down to a loincloth - a little concession to the traditional wrestling uniform - and insist that Thor prepare as well, Thor would look at Megingjörð and Járngreipr regretfully before removing them... aaand, Hercules wins, because Thor is defined by his gear in a way that Hercules never was. Which isn't a slight to Thor at all, but Hercules always struck me as more innately powerful.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

glad to see the Thor builds.

always was a mythology nut and I really started getting into Thor around 7th grade and as time went on I discovered the Simonson stuff and was just blown away by it. SOOOOOOOOO much good stuff there.

I admit I kinda fell out of reading Thor in the early 2000s (Jurgens' stuff really fell flat for me about the time Odin and Surtur died fighting one another) and didn't get back into it until the end when Oeming took over. And then Thor's dead for a few years.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Have to inject my opinion, Thor should be more powerful by lineage alone . He is the son or a Sky Father and Mother Earth herself. Hercules is a demi-god and Thor is a full God. Not trying to argue or diminish another thought on the subject, just my thoughts.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:36 pm Have to inject my opinion, Thor should be more powerful by lineage alone . He is the son or a Sky Father and Mother Earth herself. Hercules is a demi-god and Thor is a full God. Not trying to argue or diminish another thought on the subject, just my thoughts.
Except that my version is more based on mythology, and the giantess Jord is not Mother Earth at all. That's a weird thing Marvel threw in. Still, Thor's mother is a giantess, and Hercules' mother is human. Their fathers are both Sky Father types. That just leaves their legends... and in those legends, they're comparable, but that's when Thor has his mighty dwarf-forged gear, and Hercules mostly has a stick and the hide of a magical lion. That he strangled himself. Still giving the edge to Hercules. And this is coming from someone who likes Norse stuff better than the Greek.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

My view was the Marvel version only, I definitely defer to your knowledge on the mythological versions. 😁
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 pm My view was the Marvel version only, I definitely defer to your knowledge on the mythological versions. 😁
I was totally weirded out when Thor started pulling earth-powers out of his ass based on that lineage. I mean, WTF? As if he doesn't store enough chicanery in that orifice?
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I know!! He was tough enough and then boom!!! I will create a canyon with my seldom used mom's side of the families powers...hahaha
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 pm I know!! He was tough enough and then boom!!! I will create a canyon with my seldom used mom's side of the families powers...hahaha
Or, y'know, yank a whole city out of the ground and make it float, for example.