Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Mr. Hyde

Post by Jabroniville »

Meth- NOT EVEN ONCE.

MISTER HYDE (Calvin Zabo)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #99 (Dec. 1963)
Role: Recurring Background Villain
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Lethal Legion
PL 10 (148)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+14)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+10)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 4 (+10)
Treatment/Medicine 10 (+16)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Close Attack, Diehard, Equipment 3 (Lab), Fascinate (Intimidate), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Last Stand, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown, Ultimate Medicine Skill

Powers:
"Huge Size"
Reach 1 [1]
Features 1: Increased Mass 1 [1]

"Durability" Impervious Toughness 5 [5]

"Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) [13]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +11 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Science)- Hyde cares for nothing else other than discovering new chemical processes, and ways to mutate the human body. He can rarely turn up the chance to experiment upon living beings.
Power Loss- When Hyde becomes brain-damaged or overly fatigued, he is prone to returning to his original form. Calvin Zabo's Abilities are STR 0, STA 0 & AGI 0.
Power Loss (Formula)- Calvin Zabo must regularly injest his "Mister Hyde" formula, or else lose the ability to transform.
Prejudice (Recognizable)- With his immense height and girth, Hyde is clearly not human, and his face stands out as particularly ugly. He is unlikely to be able to go undercover.
Relationship (The Cobra)- Zabo and Cobra used to partner together, fighting Thor in their early days.
Enemy (Thor)- Oddly, the Below-Class-50 Zabo used to be a regular sparring partner for THOR of all people.
Enemy (Daredevil)- Once Thor grew too powerful, Daredevil ended up being a regular foe.
Enemy (Spider-Man, Ghost Rider)- Hyde has had run-ins with both of these heroes as well.
Relationship (Daisy Johnson)- Daisy is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the daughter of a prostitute "business partner" of Zabo's. The two aren't close.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 12 (148)

Hyde- '60s Villain:
-Mister Hyde's a pretty classic case of a throwaway 1960s villain. He's wearing green (seriously, count up all the olive-clad baddies in the '60s- it's insane), he's big and ugly, and he's designed to go a few rounds with the hero (in this case, Thor), and hold his own before eventually failing. A Doctor with an interest in potions & mutations, he got on the bad side of Dr. Donald Blake, and thus went after him. This obviously brought Thor into the equation, and they brawled off-and-on over the years, before Thor's very advanced case of Power Creep left Zabo by the wayside. Teaming up with The Cobra (later King Cobra of the Serpent Society), he started fighting less-powerful good guys like Spider-Man, Daredevil and whoever else needed a "filler villain" that week.

-Calvin Zabo is a stereotypical "Mad Scientist", turning himself super-strong after messing around with his hormones, in an attempt to replicate the experiment from The Strange Cacse of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. He tried to murder Dr. Donald Blake after Blake refused to hire him on (given his history of working at places that just happened to be robbed), which of course resulted in Thor attacking. After a first loss, he began teaming up with The Cobra, but both were beaten repeatedly, even after Loki doubled their powers. Subsequently, Hyde & Cobra disappeared from Thor's Rogues Gallery, essentially becoming some of the earliest examples of Journeyman Villains, popping about to fight Daredevil, Captain America & The Falcon, and of course Spider-Man. Eventually, Cobra split from Hyde, taunting him and thus earning Hyde's eternal enmity.

-One a few occasions, Hyde hunted down Cobra in order to kill his old partner- an odd recurring motif of Villain (vs) Villain. He was the sadist responsible for torturing and nearly killing Jarvis during the Siege on Avengers Mansion as a part of The Masters of Evil, and was even responsible for destroying Captain America's original WWII Shield! Cap later got revenge on a handful of occasions (such as recapturing Hyde during a jailbreak while as "The Captain").

Modern Hyde:
-Modern times have been rather odd with him, as he'll pop up randomly in a rather large amount of stories, but he's still a minor-league guy- your classic "Mercenary Villain" who just fills space once in a while. He popped up a few times in Ghost Rider's 1990s book, being vaguely-horrific and thus fitting the "theme" of that series. That was about it for him in the 1990s, however- it would be very modern times when he'd be revealed as the birth father of Daisy "Quake" Johnson of S.H.I.E.L.D. (he'd knocked up a hooker), which makes it unclear just how long he's been mutated if her powers indeed came from his genetic abnormalities. Despite that, he's still a Backgrounder, now often being seen in "The Hood's Army" or "one of the guys who tried to take over the Thunderbolts from Norman Osborn". Osborn blew up a bomb in Zabo's mouth for that one. His most recent stuff is as part of Baron Zemo's new "Army of Evil", and as the recurring baddie and L.A. kingpin in the newest Ghost Rider series.

Hyde's Stats:
-Hyde's actually a bit cheaper in 3e than in 2e, despite having most of the same abilities. That's because 3rd Edition has REALLY shrank back the cost of Super-Strength and the Sciences (despite boosting the cost of Skillmonkey-types because of the cost-doubling of Skills in general, consolidation has turned five or six Science-related Skills into one), leaving Mister Hyde a dangerous PL 10 brawler that's just a bit short of full PC points. He COULD be PL 9 depending on the showing, but I think a guy who can challenge Spider-Man, take Daredevil to his limits, and beat a couple Serpent Society members like they were nothing (well, some of the good ones- Anaconda & Puff Adder) classifies as a "classic" PL 10-type villain. Plus, he used to fight THOR on a regular basis. But Thor used to be that type of guy- he'd be challenged by Mooks, but was still supposed to be the strongest hero around.

-So Hyde's very smart, very good at Medical-based stuff (ie. mutations), a strong brawler, reasonably good at fighting, etc. A good, generic Powerhouse with a +9/+11 trade-off, he can brawl with Class 100 guys OR Class 10 guys, and it generally turns into a solid brawl. There's actually fairly-few villains at this specific level of power, when you really think about it- most guys are much weaker or much stronger.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thor Builds! Enchantress! Lorelei! Warriors Three! Mr. Hyde!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Other past Asgardian-related builds:
The Warriors Three: http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... b6#p994865 (huh- I've only posted them TWICE now. As you can see, I went into a lot more detail on their histories this time, and split them up into separate posts, as I prefer that over "putting them all in one", like I used to.

The Enchantress:
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... a6#p627352 (Nov. 2009- a 2nd Edition build! And I keep re-using that uber-90s Deodato pic for her build :))

http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4c#p840502 (July 2011- the "Masters of Evil" set)

https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... post179413 (Yes, March of 2016- I included both Enchantress & Executioner in my "E" builds, but since that was RoninArmy and they're relevant to Thor, I re-posted them with a handful of edits. It's part of why I was posting as quickly as I did. I think I'll settle down the build-posting speed if it's newer stuff!)

Mr. Hyde:
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 6c#p544721 (Feb. 2009- a "Super-Villains" set for 2nd Edition)

http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... e4#p710935 (July 2010- now with 3rd Edition! Of course he was immediately overshadowed by the Think Tank debut of THE GAMECOCK!)

https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... #post21956 (July 2014- a re-post because I felt the 2010 bio was way too short, and I wanted an RA version of the build. And Gazman, who'd been posting a lot of established Marvel guys, had just posted him, and I wanted to revisit the character)

Vidar was also posted last year, for the "V" section on RA. I only added a "Mythology" bit to explain the character :).
Jabroniville

Balder

Post by Jabroniville »

BALDER THE BRAVE
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #85 (Oct. 1962)
Role: The Other Hero
Group Affiliations: Asgard
PL 12 (250)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 1 (+12)
Deception 2 (+7, +12 Attractive)
Expertise (Asgardian God) 8 (+12)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+6)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+7)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+7, +12 Attractive)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Attractive 2, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 2 (Prince of Asgard), Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Last Stand, Leadership, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Set-Up, Teamwork, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Asgardian Physiology" 
Immunity 4 (Aging, Cold, Heat, Disease) [4]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Comprehend 2 (Animals) [4]

"The Sword of Frey"
"Self-Fighting" Summon 4 (Extras: Heroic +2) (16) -- [17]
AE: "As Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 7) (Extras: Affects Others) (12)

"God of Light"
Immunity 2 (Visual Dazzles) [2]
Dazzle Visuals 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. +3) (Flaws: Touch Range) (48) -- [51]
AE: Dazzle Visuals 14 (Feats: Accurate) (29)
AE: Environment 5 (500 feet) (Light 2, Heat 2) (20)
AE: Movement 2 (Dimensional 2- Magical Realms) (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Sword of Frey +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Dazzle Visuals +11 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Dazzle Area +12 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +12, Fortitude +13, Will +12

Complications:
Relationship (Karnilla)- Though she's pretty bad news for Asgard, she & Balder share a mutual love.
Responsibility (Asgard)
Weakness (Mistletoe)- Balder is horribly-vulnerable to objects made of mistletoe. Mistletoe-maded weapons can and will kill him in one shot.

Total: Abilities: 108 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 17 (250)

Balder in Mythology: Balder is said to be the being whose death sets off Ragnarok. As a result, Odin casts spells to render Balder completely invincible, but, in an Achilles-like twist, it's revealed that mistletoe breaks the spell, and results in his death as a result of Loki's machinations (he gets a blind God to fire a mistletoe arrow).

-Balder the Brave is an ally of Thor's, and generally gets stuck being the replacement for Odin whenever the old man dies or goes missing. I find the guy rather boring, myself- he's too pretty, too good at things, and too boring otherwise. I don't even really care for him under Walt Simonson, and he made me like THE EXECUTIONER.

-Balder was introduced in the Lee/Kirby era, usually as an aide to Thor, or as a replacement for Odin. The son of Odin & Frigga, he is a Prince of Asgard, outranking even Thor for the most part. Much is made of how beloved he is- when he is threatened with execution for ignoring the call of battle for the sake of a fallen bird, his men begged Odin to take one of their lives instead. Balder is nonetheless killed in the same manner of the myths, but Odin protects his immortal soul with a spell, then resurrects him along with the other Asgardians after they are killed by the Celestials. Balder renounces killing after his resurrection, being horrified by the image of all the souls of those he'd slain in battle. It's also revealed that Hela forced him to win his resurrection by killing all of those souls AGAIN- an act that lasted so long his hair turned white.

-He eventually shares a relationship with Karnilla the Norn Queen, though their attraction is ruined when she inadvertently causes the death of Balder's love, Nanna. Balder is slain during the "real" Ragnarok, but later returns with the other Asgardians. Gaining the Asgardian throne on Odin's disappearance, he later has to banish Thor for killing their grandfather, Bor, but ultimately welcomes the Thunder God back in, taking his place as the King of Asgard and joining the Council of Godheads. 

-Balder's alleged to be invincible to all damage within Earth and Asgard, and sometimes Marvel pushes him in this manner (something like Immunity 80- All Damage), or as someone with a permanent Deflection Field.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
StarGuard

Re: Thorbuilds

Post by StarGuard »

M4C8 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:16 pm After watching the first Avengers movie it dawned on me how most of the characters (Cap, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor) would lend themselves perfectly to a fantasy setting (in my head it was the LOTR movies) they're almost the fantasy classes made flesh. As for a Sci-Fi, what about an Earth similar to that of the Star Trek Earth (where everything's pretty much perfect and humans are a space-faring race) where the age of super-heroes is almost seen as a myth, then some major event happens and the long-lived heroes (such as Hercules, Thor, Vision etc.) meet back up to reassemble the Avengers.
A few years back someone on DeviantArt did some kickass fantasy versions if the Avengers

If a Battlemaster makes others around them better then I'd say Cap suits that trope to a T. No one has trained more Avengers and made more battle plans than Cap
Jabroniville

Karnilla

Post by Jabroniville »

KARNILLA, THE NORN QUEEN
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #107 (Aug. 1964)
Role: Magic User, Dating the Villainess (for Balder)
Group Affiliations: Nornheim
PL 13 (219)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 9 (+13)
Expertise (Magic) 14 (+18)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 6 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+12)

Advantages:
Artificer, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 3 (Queen of Nornheim), Improved Critical (Magic) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Trance

Powers:
"Alien-Turned-Asgardian Goddess"
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Ranged & Acute) [3]

"Magical Might"
Morph 3 (Humanoids) (Extras: Metamorph) [18]

"Scrying Pool" Remote Sensing 10 (Visuals & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic, Dimensional) (32) -- [47]
  • Dynamic AE: "Mystic Bolt" Blast 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mystic Wave" Damage 13 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mystic Shield" Force Field 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others 12) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Induce Sleep" Affliction 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: "Induce Paralysis" Affliction 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: Deflect 12 (Feats: Dynamic) (13)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
  • AE: "Elemental Conversion" Transform 5 (Anything to Anything Else) (25)
  • AE: Illusion (Visual & Audio) 10 (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Mystic Bolt +12 (+14 Ranged Damge, DC 29)
Mystic Wave +13 Area (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Induce Afflictions +12 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10 (+14 Mystic Shields), Fortitude +11, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility (Queen of Nornheim)
Relationship (Balder the Brave)- Karnilla loves the Immortal hero, but their duties keep them apart.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 81 / Defenses: 17 (219)

-Karnilla the Norn Queen (Nornheim is like another country, distinct from regular Asgard) is an odd fit in Thor, being that she almost seems like a Femme Fatale, but not for the key hero- she loves Thor's pal Balder the Brave, and otherwise just schemed against Asgard like Loki would, often teaming up with the God of Mischief or being betrayed by him. And no, she isn't based off of anyone from Norse Mythology.

-Karnilla actually debuted saving Balder's life, saying that, like everything is Asgard, she'd pledged to protect Balder. She later forced him to pledge to her service, but ultimately let him go. She would often scheme against Asgard, but then turn up to help (such as against Mangog)- she later kidnapped he and his girlfriend Nanna, but when Nanna died, he blamed her. Heartbroken by his rejection, she was later captured by Utgard-Loki and his Frost Giants and made to be their slave- Balder helped rescue her. Most recently, she assaulted Asgard with a false Thunder God (Ulik in disguise), but was repelled. Generally speaking, she goes with the winds, like Inspector Renault in Casablanca- she'll basically fight against Asgard, unless what she's doing can save her beloved Balder.

-Karnilla is a high-powered Sorceress on Doctor Strange's level (though noticeably tougher even without the Force Field), having trained The Enchantress in her own gifts (Amora's bios explicitly state that she's below Karnilla in power as well). Like most mystically-powered Super-Villains, she could easily be given the whole "Doctor Strange" Power Array and have it make sense- I'm just going off of one of those Marvel Handbooks I picked up at "Calgary Comic Expo".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thor Builds! The Executioner! Enchantress! Lorelei!)

Post by Yojimbo »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:35 am Which is a shame, because they're basically a super-powered version of the Three Musketeers, as portrayed by Errol Flynn, Charles Bronson, and John Candy.
The Warriors Three are quite literally the Three Musketeers, like 1:1 correlation. Hogan isn't drunk because this is a kid's comic (or was), but he's Athos. Fandral is Aramis, and Volstagg is Porthos (although a bit exaggerated; Porthos was "big" but he was also tough and brave, albeit vain, like his mates) with Thor filling the D'Artagnon role. I mean, they're called "The Warriors Three" for a reason. Stan and Jack weren't just pulling from Norse Myth, they were pulling from adventure fiction of all kinds (why else does Asgard have "viziers"), which is part of why Marvel's Asgard is so unique and fun and weird compared to mythology.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:04 pm
greycrusader wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:35 am Which is a shame, because they're basically a super-powered version of the Three Musketeers, as portrayed by Errol Flynn, Charles Bronson, and John Candy.
The Warriors Three are quite literally the Three Musketeers, like 1:1 correlation. Hogan isn't drunk because this is a kid's comic (or was), but he's Athos. Fandral is Aramis, and Volstagg is Porthos (although a bit exaggerated; Porthos was "big" but he was also tough and brave, albeit vain, like his mates) with Thor filling the D'Artagnon role. I mean, they're called "The Warriors Three" for a reason. Stan and Jack weren't just pulling from Norse Myth, they were pulling from adventure fiction of all kinds (why else does Asgard have "viziers"), which is part of why Marvel's Asgard is so unique and fun and weird compared to mythology.
I think you nailed it on the head and I'm kind of surprised I never thought about it earlier.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thor Builds! Enchantress! Lorelei! Warriors Three! Mr. Hyde!)

Post by Goldar »

Really enjoying all the Asgardian builds, Jab.

You are correct that Karnilla is more powerful than Enchantress. But in that last lovely pic, she almost looks like a brawler too!

I wonder how Karnilla ranks against Loki or Odin? She is almost a force unto herself, kind of outside the rest of the Asgardians denizens. She reminded me back in the day of Felicia Galant (and both have the Raven tresses too!).
Ken

Post by Ken »

With a name that sounds like "carnal-a" I never thought Karnilla was based on the myths as told.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:59 pm With a name that sounds like "carnal-a" I never thought Karnilla was based on the myths as told.
Lol!

Ken, you a!ways crack me up!
Jabroniville

Eric Masterson

Post by Jabroniville »

... I question Eric's choice in smack-talk. "It's time for a serious butt-pounding"?

THOR, GOD OF THUNDER II (Eric Masterson)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Appearance: Thor #391 (May 1988)
Role: Replacement Hero, Flying Brick
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Asgardian Pantheon
Avengers Grade: A-Level
PL 13 (218)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Hammer) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Aesir) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Architect) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 7 (+9)
Perception 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Hammer) 3 (+9)
Ranged Combat (Lightning) 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Attractive, Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hammer), Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown, Ultimate Effort (Strength), Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Given the Powers of the Immortal Aesir"
Power Lifting 5 (100,000 tons) [5]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 13) [14]
Immunity 15 (Aging, Life Support- Radiation, Fatigue Effects) [15]

"Mjolnir" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Indestructible, Restricted 2- Those Worthy) [50]
"Weather Control" Environment 6 (1,000 feet) (Impede Movement, Visibility) (12)
Movement 1 (Space Travel) (2)
Flight 1 (4 mph) (2)

"Lightning Bolt/Hammer Line" Damage 13 (Extras: Area-Line 120ft. +3) (52) -- (62)
  • AE: "Lightning" Blast 14 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Indirect- From Above, Penetrating 6) (37)
  • AE: "Hammer Smash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (8)
  • AE: "Hammer Throw" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Ranged 17) (24)
  • AE: "Hammer Spin" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +18/+1/2) (29)
  • AE: "Obscure Visuals" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extars: Attack, Area- 30ft. Burst) (8)
  • AE: "Air Control" Move Object 16 (Flaws: Concentration) (16)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (17)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Movement 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (12)
  • AE: Deflect 12 (12)
  • AE: Flight 11 (8,000 mph) (22)
-- (78 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+16 Damage, DC 30)
Hammer Smash +7 (+18 Damage, DC 34)
Hammer Throw +9 (+17 Ranged Damage, DC 32)
Lightning Bolt +13 Area (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Lightning +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +15 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- If removed from Mjolnir for more than one minute, Eric will transform back into human form.
Enemy (Loki, Bloodaxe)
Responsibility (Replacement Hero)- Eric feels like he's much less than the original Thor, and wants to live up to that legacy.
Relationship (Son)

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 17 (218)

Eric Masterson- The New Thor:
-Eric Masterson never really seemed to get a major chance. He spent a couple years as the "Replacement Thor" (being the last of the Avengers' Big Three to get replaced with another guy), putting an "everyman" perspective into the book- sharing this trait with Spider-Man, Mark Gruenwald's Quasar, etc. Masterson was an architect that died saving Thor from the supervillain Mongoose (God, the MONGOOSE? Really?), and so the two came to "share" Thor's body and powers (thus resurrecting Eric), until Loki's machinations caused the real Thor to be banished (for "killing" Loki), and Masterson keeping the role. This sort of thing happened a lot in this era of Marvel, as Jim Shooter was a big fan of temporary "Shake Things Up" storylines that left heroes in new identities or costumes for some hype. Eric & Thor shared a body for twenty-four issues, then Masterson WAS Thor for twenty-seven- a pretty impressive run, lasting about four years.

-Oddly, THIS is the Thor I was most familiar with for most of my childhood- HE was Thor when I first got into comics, and thus I always viewed Thor as a masked, bearded guy who was kind of normal underneath all his vast power. It was EricThor who formed the "Thor Corps" of cross-space/time Thors to fight Zarrko the Tomorrow Man, fought Thanos in the Infinity Gauntlet crisis, and dealth with the Kree/Shi'ar War. One Captain America issue features him lecturing Eric about proper battle plans, though Eric seemed pretty calm and rational about things- confessing it was "more than fair" to be expected to live up to high standards and be put on a reserve status until he got more seasoning.

-In short, it was made very clear that this was a rookie hero who was in a bit over his head. Tom DeFalco was a HUGE fan of this character, putting him to the forefront of Thor, spinning him off into a Limited Series, spinning off two OTHER books using him (Blackwulf and Thor Corps.- both Limited Series), and would later include Kevin Masterson as the "Thunderstrike of the Future" when he got control of the "MC2" Future-Verse. Lesser writers do this sort of thing and make it obnoxious and power-geeky (see: Mantis; Sage; Sentry), but Tom is very much in the "Old-School Marvel" mentality of vulnerable heroes just barely eking out wins, so it's more like an adorable "Mark Gruenwald/Cap" thing where he just LOVES this character SO MUCH that he always has to be around. You can compare this to a lot of the more universally-liked new characters introduced at Marvel, like Kamala Khan & Miles Morales. When the writers "Sentry" them too hard, there's an inevitable backlash.

Eric Masterson- Thunderstrike:
-Of course, Thor eventually got the role back- The Enchantress manipulated Eric into attacking the returned Thor, who beat up Eric and took Mjolnir back. However, Eric had proven himself a true hero, and soon got his OWN name and set of powers from Odin. This led to a Thunderstrike solo series, which was cancelled as soon as the Dark Age of Comics resulted in mass loss of money (though I've read the first Thunderstrike issues and found them pretty bad all-around- Sif even wears one of those ridiculous '90s Stripper Suits)- it didn't last long. Tom DeFalco has claimed that Thunderstrike was axed due to politics, and that at the time it was "outselling both Thor and Avengers combined", but Wikipedia now says "this has been shown to be extremely unlikely" (and they don't let just ANYONE edit that site!).

-Eric was thus killed off- he grabbed the "Bloodaxe" to gain enough power to defeat the Egyptian Death God, Seth. Going mad with the death-weapon's might, he committed suicide in order to protect his friends from his own possession at the hands of an Asgardian super-weapon. Too bad for him, but I guess you really can't have TWO guys kicking around at Thor's power level without getting crazy (note: Obviously, this was originally written before Hickman added like five more guys at that level to the team). He's easily had the worst luck of the Big Three Avengers replacements, but not nearly as bad as some OTHER heroes' replacements (poor, poor Ben Reilly). Honestly though, if you put a gun to my head and made me pick, I'd choose Eric over the Odinson any day.

Eric Masterson- Slightly-Diminished Thor Levels:
-Masterson's version of Thor is also highly-powerful, but is PL 12.5 across the board except defensively (PL 10.5) and with his Lightning (PL 12). He's just not as good a fighter as the Odinson by virtue of inexperience, but still has all the Hammer's tricks, the Asgardian Immunities, and more. He loses almost all of his Combat Advantages and Skills, though, essentially being a normal guy underneath everything. Altogether, he's barely a better fighter than most Powerhouse-type PL 10s- he's just packing more strength. A LOT more strength, though- this guy holds a win over GLADIATOR. It was in the otherwise-iffy Operation: Galactic Storm, and it took everything he had (he was explicitly called-out as being inexperienced and clumsy, probably even lower level than he is right here), but he did it. I'm not normally an "OOOH SO POWERFUL!!" type of comic book fan, but that was an EPIC brawl, complete with Gladiator pwning him to start, then Thor getting a bit lucky (using Living Lightning, who was just innocently passing-by, as a weapon), then NAILING him with a Hammer-Uppercut while Kallark staggered. The subsequent pummeling had to be stopped by his fellow Avengers, lest the rookie Eric KILL the Praetor of the Imperial Guard on the spot. Not bad for a newbie.

THUNDERSTRIKE (Eric Masterson)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Appearance: Thor #391 (May 1988)
Role: Replacement Hero, Flying Brick
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Asgardian Pantheon
Avengers Grade: A-Level
PL 12 (191)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Close Combat (Hammer) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Aesir) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Architect) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Hammer) 4 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Lightning) 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Attractive, Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hammer), Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown, Ultimate Effort (Strength), Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Given the Powers of the Immortal Aesir"
Power Lifting 3 (6,000 tons) [3]
Impervious Toughness 6 [6]
Immunity 15 (Aging, Life Support- Radiation, Fatigue Effects) [15]

"Thunderstrike" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Indestructible, Restricted 2- Those Worthy) [37]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) (2)
"Lightning Bolt/Hammer Line" Damage 11 (Extras: Area-Line 120ft. +3) (44) -- (54)
  • AE: "Magical Energy" Blast 14 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 6) (26)
  • AE: "Hammer Smash" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Penetrating 4) (5)
  • AE: "Hammer Throw" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Ricochet 3, Penetrating 4) (Extras: Ranged 13) (21)
  • AE: "Hammer Spin" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +16/+1/2) (28)
  • AE: "Obscure Visuals" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extars: Attack, Area- 30ft. Burst) (8)
  • AE: "Air Control" Move Object 16 (Flaws: Concentration) (16)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (15)
  • AE: "Blinding Light" Dazzle Visuals 10 (20)
  • AE: Deflect 12 (12)
  • AE: Flight 8 (500 mph) (Flaws: Limited to One Direction) (8)
-- (56 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Hammer Smash +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Hammer Throw +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Lightning Bolt +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Lightning +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +13 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- If removed from Thunderstrike for more than one minute, Eric will transform back into human form.
Enemy (Loki, Bloodaxe)
Responsibility (Replacement Hero)- Eric feels like he's much less than the original Thor, and wants to live up to that legacy.
Relationship (Son)

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 17 (191)

-Thunderstrike is basically what Thor is, minus a ton of powers. His strength cap's lower, his Hammer does less damage overall (but it does Ricochet like Cap's Shield), and he's generally just less powerful overall. Still, a "less powerful" version of Thor is still a PL 12 super-heavyweight who can take out someone like War Machine, and runs almost even with Iron Man, so he's no pushover. He's gained a bit of experience and fighting skill since his "Thor" days, so he's not totally weaker.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Warriors 3! Mr. Hyde! Balder! Karnilla! Eric Masterson!)

Post by Woodclaw »

While I had the luck of reading some of Simmons's Thor growing up, when I dive deep into comics was a little before Eric became Thor, so I'm very affectionate to him as well. In general I liked the character, most of his personal backstory and supporting cast felt very similar to the '80s Spider-Man and I liked the everyman's hero perspective spun on a character that would be otherwise worth of cosmic level events (his face when he was selected for Galaxy Storm told the whole story for me).
Thunderstrike, in spite of many flaws, was a very valiant effort for me and, in general, I quite liked the series, including the "Blue Code" flip book episodes.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:04 pm
I always kinda saw them as Westley, Inigo (well if he were more grim and traded his sword for a mace), and Fezzik myself
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm While I had the luck of reading some of Simmons's Thor growing up, when I dive deep into comics was a little before Eric became Thor, so I'm very affectionate to him as well. In general I liked the character, most of his personal backstory and supporting cast felt very similar to the '80s Spider-Man and I liked the everyman's hero perspective spun on a character that would be otherwise worth of cosmic level events (his face when he was selected for Galaxy Storm told the whole story for me).
Thunderstrike, in spite of many flaws, was a very valiant effort for me and, in general, I quite liked the series, including the "Blue Code" flip book episodes.

I didn't mind the series myself, grabbing a few issues here and there like Erik getting smacked around by Pandara, who claimed to be Pandora but everyone got her name wrong and was from Blackwulf...and I think Jab would like her. Tall amazonian blonde in some...er...interesting attire.

and I admit to liking when Erik took on Juggernaut and had Juggs literally walk all over him....the Bloodaxe being the only thing that phased Juggy at all, slicing his helmet in two
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I always thought Eric got a bum rap. He was just a normal guy who got thrust into the fight and handed the power of a god. Yeah he's in over his head, who wouldn't be? But he kept trying. That's the important thing.