Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hela! Red Norvell! Ymir! Thor Girl! JaneThor!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

The only way Nick Fury makes sense as a cosmic being is if he's actually been Odin all along.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Red Norvell! Thor Girl! JaneThor! Jormungand!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Looking at old comments on some builds:

YMIR:
* I posted him in the 2012 "Gods" set, but posted him again for the "Y" section last year. This current version includes his full role in Mythology, since I hate just re-posting stuff with nothing new :).
Goldar wrote:I love Ymir, the ultimate icy villain! I think your build is perfect in terms of PL and stats.

Rarely do we even see Ymir profiled, let alone so well!

I always thought Ymir is much more powerful than Surtur although the two could be equal being polar opposites. Besides all the destruction, I wonder what would happen if they fought? Just a big ocean of water?
KURSE:
* Kurse was also posted last year, almost exactly a year ago, for the "K" section:
Ares wrote:Kurse was one of those little utilized powerhouses, and for good reason. A guy anywhere between 3 and 4 times as strong as Thor was pretty nuts. From what I understand, Thor never actually beat Kurse in a straight up fight. The first time around they needed Energizer from Power Pack to drain all of the magic out of Thor and Beta Ray Bill's hammers and send it all at Kurse in a single, mega powered blast that KOed the guy. Thankfully, the Beyonder re-powered Thor and Bill's hammers after to make up for the "test" he had given them.

Later, Thor needed some Mega Artifact to counter the Casket of Ancient Winter, and while Kurse was beating him up, he shoved the artifact in Kurse's face, which freed Kurse from the mind control he was under.

Other than that, I don't know how many times Kurse and Thor have fought, or if Thor ever has a clean win over the guy after the Beyonder turned him into the Nine Realms version of Validus.
Ken wrote:I find it hard to believe that this is art by the same man who gave us the 'Manhunter' series in 'Detective' in the 1970s (along w/Archie Goodwin).

It may not be Liefeldian dark-Hawk-elf bad, but .... I guess even the greats have their sketchbook designs that should never see the light of day.
Jabroniville

Frey

Post by Jabroniville »

FREY
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Keith Pollard
First Appearance: Thor #294 (April 1980)
Role: Minor Character
Group Affiliations: Asgard
PL 9 (109)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Expertise (God) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment (Weapons +2), Improved Critical (Sword), Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Weapons +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 12 (109)

Freyr in Mythology: Freyr is a God of Kingship, Virility and Prosperity, often depicted in a phallic sense. He's one of the Vanir, and rules his lands wisely. He marries the Jotun Gerdr, but must promise her father to give up his magical sword (which fights on its own), thus using an antler as a weapon from then on. This results in his death, however, as the Fire Jotun Surtr slays him at Ragnarok.

-Frey is a minor character in the Thor title, and the brother of Idunn. When she is taken away by Giants to marry against her will, Thor & Frey form a team and rescue her by trading the Giants the "Rheingold", which includes the Ring of the Nibelung, when it's revealed that Odin allowed her to be taken, having promised the Giants this in payment for their helping rebuild the walls of Valhalla. He eventually marries the Giantess, Gerd (NICE), giving up his sword in order to do so (in a mimic of his mythological tale), but hasn't appeared in years.

-Frey is tough, but I figure him for a PL 9 "Assister" kind of hero.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hela! Red Norvell! Ymir! Thor Girl! JaneThor!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Jack of Spades wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 am The only way Nick Fury makes sense as a cosmic being is if he's actually been Odin all along.
For me it wouldn't make sense even in that case. I always thought that the entire stitch of Fury (as well as Amanda Waller) is that he's the most dangerous bastard around, able to take down most superhumans on his own but who is nonetheless human. I understand that Marvel moved him into being the replacement for the Watcher because they wanted to keep him him around, while using the "movie version" Fury, but I hate the fact that they fundamentally changed the nature of the character.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Speaking of jotnar, has Skadi ever appeared in Marvel? She once threatened all of Asgard, mythologically, before being tricked into marrying Njord, god of the sea....
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Hoid wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 pm Speaking of jotnar, has Skadi ever appeared in Marvel? She once threatened all of Asgard, mythologically, before being tricked into marrying Njord, god of the sea....
There have been two Asgard related characters named Skadi, the first was a giantess/mountain goddess who appeared in an X-Force an Cable annual and the second was the daughter of Cul Borson the god of fear (Odin's secret brother) who possessed Sin (Red Skulls's daughter) during the Fear Itself story line. While there's a chance they could be the same character I doubt that was the intention.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Freya

Post by Jabroniville »

FREYA
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Don Heck
First Appearance: Thor #321 (Oct. 1993)
Role: Minor Character
ASGARDIAN TEMPLATE
PL 8 (53)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (God) 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment (Weapons +2), Great Endurance

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Weapons +7 (+8 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 8 (67)

Freyja in Mythology: Freyja is a Goddess associated with love, sex and fertility, being very much like Aphrodite in Greece. She rules over half of the afterlife in Folkvangr, with Odin receiving the bravest warriors in Valhalla. Giants frequently want to make intercourse with her, leading to a hilarious story in which THOR wears a wedding dress to pass for Freyja. She also once banged four dwarves to get a pretty necklace they'd made for her, literally prostituting herself- this made the character an easy target for Christian missionaries, who took many of her domains (fertility, crops) and transferred them to the Virgin Mary.

-Freya is extremely minor in Marvel Comics, not debuting until well after the Kirby or Simonson eras of the Thor book. Here, she is a retired Valkyrie and the current Goddess of Fertility. Later, this was retconned to have her as the daughter of the Giant Thrym (who tried to marry her in the above-mentioned myth).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo

Re: Freya

Post by Yojimbo »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm
She rules over half of the afterlife in Folkvangr, with Odin receiving the bravest warriors in Valhalla.
This is one of those tidbits (along with the etymological similarities between "Freya" and "Frigga" and "Odin" and "Odur," Freya's purported husband) that suggests to some scholars that Frigga and Freya are the same person and that Freya is Odin's wife. Splitting them in to two people may have been something that Christians decided to do in order to make the myths make more sense to them.
-Freya is extremely minor in Marvel Comics, not debuting until well after the Kirby or Simonson eras of the Thor book. Here, she is a retired Valkyrie and the current Goddess of Fertility. Later, this was retconned to have her as the daughter of the Giant Thrym (who tried to marry her in the above-mentioned myth).
It did always seem weird to me that Freya wasn't really part of Marvel's Asgard, but I just assumed that Amora pretty much filled up her spot in the roster.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm She also once banged four dwarves to get a pretty necklace they'd made for her, literally prostituting herself- this made the character an easy target for Christian missionaries, who took many of her domains (fertility, crops) and transferred them to the Virgin Mary.
Did you mean Mary Magdalene? I'm not sure the missionaries could have productively used dwarf-bangin' to teach about Jesus' mom. (Though there is no good textual evidence that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute either - just an adulteress.)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

drkrash wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm She also once banged four dwarves to get a pretty necklace they'd made for her, literally prostituting herself- this made the character an easy target for Christian missionaries, who took many of her domains (fertility, crops) and transferred them to the Virgin Mary.
Did you mean Mary Magdalene? I'm not sure the missionaries could have productively used dwarf-bangin' to teach about Jesus' mom. (Though there is no good textual evidence that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute either - just an adulteress.)
Yes, those were my thoughts as well.

The Virgin Mary was a virgin who only had Jesus. She is not thought of as fertility, abundance, blooming of crops, flowers, etc.
Davies

Post by Davies »

drkrash wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 pm
No textual evidence that Mary of Magdala was the woman taken in adultery either. Of course, that is the least weird theory about her. ;)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja

Wikipedia says the Virgin Mary. I'm assuming it's the Christianization of Norse myths as a "stop-gap", and eventually went away with time. Early Christians did a lot of "myth replacing" at first.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

My Googlefu is weak and I am ashamed.. Maybe someone with even more useless knowledge will be able to tell the tales?

I remember hearing a while back about how there were parallels between the Norse and Celtic mythologies. In particular, that they both have two sets of gods. The Norse had the Aesir and the Vanir and the Celts had the errr my memory fails me. It wouldn't be too out of the realm of possibility that the two cultures met up early on and worked the other into their mythologies as they commingled.

Also, what is this story about Loki turning into a mare, getting knocked up and having an eight legged horse?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Bor

Post by Jabroniville »

BOR
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Mystery #xx (1963)
Role: Odin's Predecessor
PL 17 (266)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA 20 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+9)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+8)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Blast), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Former Skyfather"
Impervious Toughness 19 [19]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrowth) [11]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

"Environmental Disasters" Blast 17 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (68) -- [69]
  • AE: Eye Blast 20 (Extras: Penetrating 10) (50)
"Bor's Axe" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Axe +12 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Eye Blast +10 (+20 Ranged Damage, DC 35)
Area Damage +17 (+17 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +20 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude +20, Will +10

Complications:
Responsibility (Asgard)
Responsibility (Arrogance)- Bor does not believe he can be undone by sorcery, nor that he would require Mjolnir to defeat an opponent. This frequently undoes him in battle.

Total: Abilities: 108 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 117 / Defenses: 16 (266)

Borr in Mythology: Borr is little more than an afterthought in Norse myth- the presumably-mighty father of Odin, Vili and Ve, he appeared to have a wife and sire sons... and then disappears from the narrative. Scholars suggest he represents either a prior God, or a mountain chain or something.

-Bor in the comics debuts very early (1963), stating that he created the universe while ruler of the Norse Gods. He groomed Odin to be king in favor of his other sons Vili and Ve (later, a fourth was retconned in- Cul), and was killed facing a Frost Giant in battle- a Giant that later turned out to be Loki in disguise. Loki, disguised as Bor's ghost, convinced Odin to kill Laufey and thus be honor-bound to take in the infant Loki. And later on, Loki resurrects Bor in modern times, making him psychotic and sending him against Thor- Thor slew his grandfather. Hela later resurrects him in an attempt to have Mjolnir lifted, but he cannot do it- she sends him to fight Thor anyway. He later appears another time, fighting Asgardians after trying to break up a wedding.

-Bor is apparently super-duper tough, to the point that Thor had to wield the Odinforce to have a chance, and that a "single blow" would kill him otherwise. Thor even shattered Mjolnir (man, these unstoppable weapons sure do break a lot these days- Marvel keeps doing that, much to the detriment of their most-legendary devices).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thor Girl! JaneThor! Jormungand! Bor!)

Post by Davies »

It's a pity that Marvel had lost the rights to Conan by the time this guy started playing a role in the comics, they could have done some interesting things with the god of the Hyborians being a genuine deity instead of a deified chieftain.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."