Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cul! Hercules! Hippolyta! Aphrodite! Pluto!)

Post by Horsenhero »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:24 pm OHHHHHHHHH, I see. I was too distracted by the rest of the image to notice. That's a shame :).
Coloring isn't easy. That's why I always hire a professional colorist to finish my black and white line work for stuff that will see print. Even with pros there are bound to be occasional errors. Compared to the old days, it's a thousand times better.

If this is the limit of the colorists' mistakes, it's well within the margin for error. Given this was a monthly title, I'm fine with it.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hercules! Hippolyta! Aphrodite! Pluto! Huntsman!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Buchemi also didn't draw in the line of the bikini top all the way, so I can see why he made an error.
L-Space

Re: Pluto

Post by L-Space »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:17 am
Hades in Mythology: Hades was a dark and feared God to the ancient Greeks, but unlike MANY other cultures, this God of The Dead was not an evil individual (nor was Death itself- Thanatos)- in fact, Hades was utterly fair (both rich and poor are equal in death, after all), being part of the necessary functions of the Universe (The Egyptians felt the same way). This is a hard thing for most of pop culture to take, however, resulting in a great annoyance of mine- the constant use of Hades as a Big Bad God of Doom, seeking to destroy the entire world, corrupt men, gather souls, and take things over. All of this because people equate "Lord of Hell" with Satan/Lucifer. It doesn't help that the most famous single myth in Hades' history involves the Abduction of Persephone.
This.
This is the part that drives me crazy.
Hades, the eldest son who takes the greatest risk in sneaking in to the Titan's camp and destroying their weapons.
Hades who winds up locked away from the world with arguably the most important job, or at least the one that requires the most attention.
The guy actually has greek heaven as a part of his realm.

But he's usually treated as being a monster.
He actually does the least amount of evil things out of any of the gods. Does he chase after women? Yes.
Depending on how the story is told, however, you wind up with some serious differences.
In one version Mint, terrified of Hades, turned herself into a plant rather than deal with him.
For Persephone there are versions that make Hades out to be a monster, and others that imply that it was Persephone who came up with the plan after her Mother tried to ruin their happiness.

But I might be biased. A lonely dude with a Dog named spot, disliked by everybody because of his job, meets girl and gets a happy ending.
Yeah, I can get behind that.
This is the part that I think is most misunderstood about him and the underworld. A lot of people think that the Underworld is the same as Hell and that Mount Olympus (which is limited strictly to the gods) is the same as Heaven. But the Underworld wasn't necessarily as cut and dry as all that; it pretty much encompassed all the equivalencies of Heaven, Hell and everything in-between.

The Dresden Files portrayed Hades as a fair being that handled his job with the diligence that it deserved.
Formerly luketheduke86
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hades has a rough job.. like being a paradise resort manager, a supermax prison warden, managing an entire league of professional sports, managing a major travel hub, not an easy job at all.

Yeah, so what if he sometimes gets in over his head and falls head over heels with a real spoiled princess with a real joy of a mother in law.

At least his dog Spot loves him.

Poor guy.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:01 am Actually, attractive, small "A" is subjective. The advantage Attractive, capital "A", is a particular game effect. There is a part of the rule on Attractive that states
This bonus .... does not apply to people or situations which (in the GM’s opinion) would not be influenced by your appearance
which covers the subjectivity issue.

Now, the thing is most of these actresses, if we were to see them doing, say, modeling, I don't think any of us would be surprised. And which ones any of us actually consider attractive, that is entirely subjective. But, within the narrative of the show, Sarah Walker (Ms. Strahovski's character), is the only one written with frequent mention of just how hot she is, and the who was shown, repeatedly, to be able to use her looks to help her Persuade and Deceive people. She's the one of the six who, were the characters being written up, would have the advantage Attractive, because she was the one who demonstrated the game effect.

Yes, it is an informed trait. Whether any of them can or can't do it in real life isn't the issue. Whether or not we agree, is not the issue. The fact is that Sarah Walker was written as if she has at least one rank, and probably a second, of the Attractive Advantage.
Great description of the actual Advantage, Ken. Speaking as one of those attractive types myself, it's rare that I actually use my Narcissus type looks like actually gain some sort of advantage, like Advantage of Attractive. ;)

I never watched Chuck during it's network run. I'll have to binge it sometime, I've heard pretty much nothing but good things.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Shock

Post by Shock »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 pm
Great description of the actual Advantage, Ken. Speaking as one of those attractive types myself, it's rare that I actually use my Narcissus type looks like actually gain some sort of advantage, like Advantage of Attractive. ;)

I never watched Chuck during it's network run. I'll have to binge it sometime, I've heard pretty much nothing but good things.
Chuck starts a little slow and the last season isn't so great but the middle is pretty damn fun.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Gorr

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 am Image

GORR THE GOD-BUTCHER
Created By:
I LOVED the God-Butcher arc. Getting a Young Thor, Old Thor and Avengers Thor all teaming up to take him on was great stuff. He's had his misfires at times, but Jason Aaron made me love Thor again as a character starting with that arc. The issue after it ended where he just wrote Thor coming back to Midgard and acting like the god we'd most likely all like to have; bringing rain to the desert, befriending a repentant convict on death row, drinking beer with some disabled veterans, bringing alien flowers to some nuns; was awesome.

One thing I would have added to the build would be Create and Summon effects of at least moderate level with Permanent. The army of monsters he created and he also actually created his "son" and a replica of his deceased wife from the Necrosword's power, in addition to weapons and a lot of other things.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 pmGreat description of the actual Advantage, Ken. Speaking as one of those attractive types myself, it's rare that I actually use my Narcissus type looks like actually gain some sort of advantage, like Advantage of Attractive. ;)

I'd describe it as "Whedon-lite." Not quite as witty as Whedon's stuff, and heavy on the cheesy shlock, but intentionally so. It's not trying to be anything other than silly fun. At least at first. As it goes on, there's some really astonishingly elegant character development taking place while you're distracted by the flashy goofiness.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jeffster *nod nod*
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Hera, Goddess of MILFs

Post by Jabroniville »

oh god that Buchemi version

HERA (aka Juno)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Thor #129 (June 1966)
b]Role:[/b] Greco-Roman Goddess of Marriage, Queen of The Gods
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 13 (269)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 9 (+14)
Expertise (Goddess or Marriage, Queen of the Gods) 10 (+15)
Expertise (History) 4 (+9)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+15)
Insight 4 (+9)
Intimidation 5 (+10)
Perception 4 (+8)

Advantages: 
Beginner's Luck, Benefit 4 (Queen of the Gods), Diehard, Fascinate (Deception), Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Well-Informed 

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Shapeshift 3 [24]
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [20]
"Prophecy" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]

"Magical Might"
"Wide Area Blast" Damage 13 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (45) -- [50]
  • AE: "Wide Area Blast" Damage 13 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (45)
  • AE: "Wide Area Blast" Damage 13 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (45)
  • AE: Blast 16 (Feats: Penetrating 8, Split) (41)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (40)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Blast +10 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Wide Area Blasts +13 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +13, Will +10

Complications:
Responsibility (The Olympian Pantheon)- Hera is somewhat-loyal to Zeus at best. She frequently goes behind his back to deny him floozies.
Enemy (Hercules)- Hera despises her stepson, as well as most of the offspring of a cheating Zeus. She tries to confound him on almost every step of his life.
Relationship (Zeus)- Hera has a complex relationship with her Man-Whore of a husband. Being the Goddess of Marriage, this is kind of embarassing.
Relationship (Ares, Others)- Hera has a domineering relationship over her idiot of a son Ares, and favours him over Hercules, despite not really caring for him personally.

Total: Abilities: 96 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 112 / Defenses: 19 (269)

Hera in Mythology: Hera is a pretty notable Pantheon member, being the Queen of the Gods, and chosen wife of Zeus (particularly when he was loyal to her). Problem was, Zeus had a major wandering eye, and Hera was WICKEDLY jealous, to the point where she frequently tried to murder his numerous mistresses, and slay their half-breed children. This is undoubtedly the most notable thing about Hera to most people, which gives her a rather villainous edge in most Olympian-based stories (especially since Hercules, a frequent target, is the most famous Greek hero by far). She has VERY few myths in which she bestows favour to mortals- it's usually Hera punishing Troy for Paris calling Aphrodite hotter than her, Hera tricking Semele into forcing Zeus to atomize her, Hera seducing Zeus so he can't help Troy, etc. Hera is a straight-up physical embodiment of "The Woman Scorned". There is some thought that she was the Mother Goddess of Grecian people who existed before the Olympian Pantheon took hold, and thus was a more positive, matriarchal figure, but was supplanted by Zeus symbolically later on.

-Like in most forms of media, Hera's kind of a bitch in Marvel Comics. However, she was a voice of reason in the "Avengers (vs) Olympus" arc by Roger Stern, desperately attempting to aide the Avengers against her mad husband, Zeus. But most other writers use her as a vicious harpy (often using literal vicious harpies as minions). In one story, she competed with Ares to see who could cause Hercules more sorrow- she had him fall in love with a mortal named Taylor Madison. The Incredible Hercules features her as a very attractive MILF-type who is VERY nasty, horribly attacks her own daughter Hebe, punishes Hercules & all he holds dear, and eventually tries to wipe out ALL REALITY so that she can rule a duplicate reality created by her thrall, Pythagoras Dupree. She's not shown as a complete monster, turning at the last moment when Kid Zeus apologizes for his indiscretions and promises to be loyal to her... but then her pet/lover Typhon breaks free of his control bands and blows her head off, then executes Zeus, sending both to Tartarus. She returns to live after the Chaos War arc, but hasn't been up to anything since. She'll most likely revert back to villainy.

-Hera is PL 13- more powerful than her sisters, but less so than her three brothers. Her powers are seen less than the others, and she has no real "theme" to her powers- just being an Evil Magical Chick for the most part. In "Incredible Herc" she gains Zeus' Thunderbolt upon his death, dramatically increasing her power (but her Durability hardly goes up- she's quite easy to kill compared to her damaging power).

Divine Offspring:
With Zeus: Hebe (Goddess of Youth), Eilethyia (Goddess of Childbirth), Ares (God of War), Hephaestus (God of the Forge), Eris (Goddess of Strife)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BriarThrone wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 pmGreat description of the actual Advantage, Ken. Speaking as one of those attractive types myself, it's rare that I actually use my Narcissus type looks like actually gain some sort of advantage, like Advantage of Attractive. ;)

I'd describe it as "Whedon-lite." Not quite as witty as Whedon's stuff, and heavy on the cheesy shlock, but intentionally so. It's not trying to be anything other than silly fun. At least at first. As it goes on, there's some really astonishingly elegant character development taking place while you're distracted by the flashy goofiness.
Having no less than 6 "final" episodes (5 written as a finale... but the show was revived) kind of forced actual character development, since they kept putting in genuine resolutions to story arcs.

I didn't actually discover the show until after the second season was done. I actually thought the middle part of the last season was pretty good, but I found the last few episodes disappointing.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ken wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 am
BriarThrone wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Having no less than 6 "final" episodes (5 written as a finale... but the show was revived) kind of forced actual character development, since they kept putting in genuine resolutions to story arcs.

I didn't actually discover the show until after the second season was done. I actually thought the middle part of the last season was pretty good, but I found the last few episodes disappointing.
Good points.

My Whedon comparison isn't hurt by having Adam Baldwin playing an aggressive gun nut.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hippolyta! Aphrodite! Pluto! Huntsman! Hera!)

Post by Ken »

Shiny!

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 pm Great description of the actual Advantage, Ken. Speaking as one of those attractive types myself, it's rare that I actually use my Narcissus type looks like actually gain some sort of advantage, like Advantage of Attractive.
Well, at least that explains that glow on our left last time we went down to Decatur, was we were heading down Interstate 55, headed for US 51.

Jabroniville

Neptune

Post by Jabroniville »

NEPTUNE (aka Poseidon)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Tales to Astonish #70 (Aug. 1965)
Role: The Greco-Roman God of The Sea & All Waters, Horses, Earthquakes
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 15 (392), PL 16 (392) Within the Seas
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 8 (+13)
Expertise (God of the Seas) 13 (+18)
Expertise (History) 7 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 13 (+18)
Insight 8 (+12)
Intimidation 8 (+13, +19 Size)
Perception 8 (+12)
Ranged Attack (Blasts) 2 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Benefit 6 (Status- God-King of the Seas), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Trident) 2, Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrowth) [9]
Immunity 12 (Aging, Drowning, Pressure, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [12]
Immunity 2 (Poison & Suffocation) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Shapeshift 4 (Animal Forms, Growth) [24]

"Magical Might"
"Blast Stream" Damage 15 (Feats: Variable- Water or Energy) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (46) -- [51]
  • AE: Movement 10 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
  • AE: Blast 18 (Feats: Variable- Water or Energy) (37)
  • AE: "Blast Burst" Damage 15 (Feats: Variable- Water or Energy) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (46)
  • AE: "Blast Wave" Damage 15 (Feats: Variable- Water or Energy) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (46)
  • AE: Force Field 2 (Extras: Affects Others 14, Impervious 17) (33)
  • AE: "Invisible to Mortals" Concealment 4 (Visuals) (Flaws: Limited to Mortals) (6)
"Extra Power Within The Seas" Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (Flaws: Limited to Within the Seas) [4]
Note: Every power in the Magic Array is boosted this way.

"King of the Seas"
Swimming 10 (500 mph) [10]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Comprehend Animals 4 (Flaws: Limited to Sea Life) [4]

"Trident of Poseidon" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [92]
"Water-World" Environment (Impede Movement) 4 (2 ranks, 250ft. Radius) (8)
"Water Elementals" Summon 5 (Extras: Active, Controlled, Horde, 8 Minions +6) (55)
"Earthquake" Affliction 14 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Prone & Stunned) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Burst +5, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (84) -- (90)
  • AE: "Earthquake" Affliction 14 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Prone & Stunned) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Line +5, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (84)
  • AE: "Water Torrents" Move Object 16 (32)
  • AE: "Water Snare" Snare 14 (42)
  • AE: "Forced Drowning" Affliction 14 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (28)
  • AE: "Mass Drowning" Affliction 15 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (60)
  • AE: "Water Control" Move Object 16 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (32)
  • AE: "Boost Power to Blasts" Area Damage (250ft. Area +3) (60)-- Note: Affects each Area Damage from Magic Array
-- (154 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Energy Blasts +10 (+18 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Area Blasts +15 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Earthquake & Drowning +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Water Snare & Drowning+12 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +15 (+17 Force Field), Fortitude +16, Will +12

Complications:
Responsibility (Olympian Pantheon)- Poseidon is loyal to Zeus.
Responsibility (Atlantis)- Poseidon is the patron God of Atlantis, and seems to take this role seriously, viewing Namor as his greatest champion.
Reputation (Man-Whore)- Poseidon has nearly the same troubles ZEUS has with chasing around random women.

Total: Abilities: 122 / Skills: 72--36 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 191 / Defenses: 19 (392)

Poseidon in Mythology: Poseidon is pretty much just like Zeus in many regards- a muscular bearded man who lorded over people, had legendary wrath, and slept with a STAGGERING amount of women (among them Medusa Gorgon, which got her into a LOT of trouble with her patron Athena)- his offspring, mortal and otherwise, number into the dozens, and rival Zeus'. Drawing the Sea in the lots with Zeus and Hades, Poseidon had a pretty good deal, and got to do a lot in Greek mythology. He had a feud with Athena in general, starting because Athens named itself after Athena instead of him, and he was much more wrathful in general- the Greeks feared the seas a fair bit (like most seafaring cultures- it was a mix of awe and fear), and Poseidon was also declared as a God of EARTHQUAKES. Poor Odysseus had to deal with all KINDS of crap, just for defending himself against one of Poseidon's sons (he put out the eye of a Cyclops while under the nom de guerre or "Nobody").

-Poseidon's link to the Oceans makes him pretty popular in comics as a Sea God, and he's the patron God of Atlantis in Marvel Comics as a result, making him one of the only Greek Gods to be worshipped actively in modern times. He's often shown as Atlantean Blue, but I've seen a big white guy as well (not that a GREEK GOD needs any excuse to change their appearance), and he's generally been a bit more diligent in the comics I've read than he ever was in mythology. He is in fact the creator of the Atlantean Homo mermanus race, and has sent Namor on Fetch Quests and installed him as true ruler of Atlantis before. He's often called Neptune due to the planet's symbolism matching up with water a lot, but he was Poseidon in some recent Hercules stuff.

-He is forced to fight against Namor at the behest of Zeus in the Assault on Olympus story arc, as Zeus wishes to punish the Avengers for the injuries of Hercules. At the end of that story, Zeus bars the Gods from Earth forever, a point which Neptune openly complains about- he is immediately silenced by an enraged Zeus. He was kind of a Butt-Monkey in the Hercules series, being heavily-weakened by the Assault on Olympus, and was made short work of by THE AMAZONS, and trussed up like some loser. Still weak, he could not challenge Hera, nor Athena's role as Godhead of the Olympians.

-Neptune is much like Pluto, being INSANELY powerful, particularly within his own element (he was so tough that be basically just easily defeated Namor himself in an eyeblink, while both were underwater). He's stated to be equal to Pluto in pretty much every way, and so he's a PL 15/16 being who's nigh-unstoppable (being one PL above maximum Thor and a LOT more effective overall). He's only cheaper than Pluto thanks to needing the Trident for a bunch of his tricks, though it's outside of his "Magic" array- he can kick ass pretty heavily without it.

Divine Offspring:
With Arne: Aiolos (God of Winds)
With Halia (Sea Goddess): The Proseus Daimones (Sea Spirits that haunted the caverns of Rhodes)
With Demeter: Despoine (Goddess of the Arkadian Mysteries)
With Unknown: Proteus (Elderly Sea God)
With Amphritrite: Triton (Fish-Tailed Sea God)

Heroic Offspring:
With Queen Eurynome: Bellerophon (Heroic slayer of the Chimera)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.