Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hera! Neptune! Amadeus Cho! Delphyne Gorgon!)

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:33 pm Enemy (Athena Parthenos)- Athena cursed the Gorgon bloodline to be forever tainted (ie. snake-like) after Medusa banged Poseidon on the Virgin Goddess' very altar. Delphyne hates her for this, on behalf of her and all her sisters.
A good example of how all Greek gods and goddesses could be major dicks about things. I mean Poseidon breaks into Athena's temple and then rapes one of her priestesses, so in retaliation Athena gets pissed off and punishes....the priestess.
Formerly luketheduke86
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

It's disappointing to learn that Delphyne isn't being used at all, even in the Amadeus Hulk book. Because Jab is pretty much 100% correct about her being a great character with a ton of potential.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

A good example of how all Greek gods and goddesses could be major dicks about things. I mean Poseidon breaks into Athena's temple and then rapes one of her priestesses, so in retaliation Athena gets pissed off and punishes....the priestess.
This came up in the Jabverse thread, too. In the Greek version, Medusa was just a monster. In the Roman tale, it's either consensual or rape, leading to the curse. Marvel has it as consensual and based on slut-shaming.
Jabroniville

Nyx

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

You can tell she's evil- the cleavage is a dead giveaway. Evil Goddesses LOVE to rock the cleave.

NYX (aka Nox)
Created By:
Roy Thomas, Jean-Marc Lofficier & Larry Alexander
First Appearance: Dr. Strange: Sorcerer Supreme #32 (Aug. 1991)
Role: Primordial Goddess
PL 12 (262)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (God) 9 (+12)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+14)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+14)
Perception 6 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Soul Snare) 3 (+12)

Advantages: 
Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [11]
Immunity 9 (Aging, Drowning, Suffocation, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Poison, Disease) [9]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Senses 3 (Darkvision- Extended) [3]

"Goddess of the Dark"
"Soul Strangle" Snare 12 Linked to Weaken Mental Abilities 8 (Extras: Simultaneous, Ranged, Progressive +2) (76) -- [80]
  • AE: Create 14 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Movable) (43)
  • AE: Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Area- 500ft. Burst +5, Attack, Affects Others, Selective) (20)
  • AE: "Soul-Stealing Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) Linked to Weaken Mental Abilities 10 (Extras: Simultaneous) (30)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Soul-Stealing Sword +10 (+12 Damage & +8 Weaken, DC 27 & 20)
Soul Strangle +12 (+12 Ranged Affliction & +8 Ranged Weaken, DC 22 & 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Goddess of the Night)
Motivation (Causing Fear & Ruling the World)
Weakness (Light Attacks)- As the Goddess of the Night, Nyx is more vulnerable attacks that are light-based, such as those of the Eye of Agamotto.

Total: Abilities: 98 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 118 / Defenses: 11 (262)

Nyx in Mythology: Nyx is one of the Primordial Greek Gods, and thus does not appear very much in Greek Myth. She is the daughter of Chaos itself (the Air), and with Darkness (Erebus) birthed Brightness, Day, Doom, Destruction, Death (Thanatos himself), Sleep (Hypnos), Dreams, Blame, Woe, Sunset, The Fates, Retribution (Nemesis), Deceit, Friendship, Old Age & Strife (Eris). So she's QUITE important, despite not having too many stories. It's been said that ZEUS HIMSELF feared her anger, and her son Hypnos once hid from his wrath at her side (he'd put Zeus to sleep to allow Hera to attack Herakles). The poems of Orpheus actually state that SHE is the birthplace of all creation. She was rarely the focus of cults, and has few statues based off of her, despite the omnipresent source of the night as a cause for fear in ancient cultures- her children get quite a bit more play (especially Hypnos, Thanatos and The Fates).

-Nyx is the Marvel Universe is naturally evil, since it's Marvel and The Goddess of Darkness is OF COURSE evil. In Marvel she's actually the mother of Ares' sons Phobos & Deimos (Fear & Terror), having disguised herself as Aphrodite to seduce him. She desired to control human fear, and use it to master the Earth, and thus teamed up with the other Fear-Lords in a Doctor Strange arc- she soon fled when Dr. Strange figured out her Weakness to Light, and rescued his captured friends. Her sons, who'd been resurrected to fight for her, were killed in the melee. She'd take more than TEN YEARS to reappear, showing up to contest for the rulership of Olympia, using a being as powerful as NIGHTMARE as her champion, somehow.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:30 am
This came up in the Jabverse thread, too. In the Greek version, Medusa was just a monster. In the Roman tale, it's either consensual or rape, leading to the curse. Marvel has it as consensual and based on slut-shaming.
Yeah, that's something that comes up a LOT in Greek / Roman mythology. Not only do the stories change, language itself changes. Much like how "gay" and "queer" have changed very drastically over 100 years, I've heard that the exact usage of rape in some stories means very different things. And it doesn't help in Medusa's case, where it's uncertain if she started out human or had always been a monster. One version of the myth stated she had two sisters, both of whom were supposedly immortal demi-gods themselves. And then of course you have one myth about Pegasus somehow being formed from her death, either coming out of her neck stump or being formed when her blood hit the ocean.

So yeah, Medusa was either always a monster, she had consensual sex with a god and was punished by said god's rival goddess for doing it in her temple, or she was raped in said temple and since Athena couldn't go after Poseidon, she went after Medusa.

The least morally grey one is to just have her be a monster. The harshest and most tragic one is to make her the victim of godly politics, the victim of rape that's then turned into a monster, only to then be killed off, making her a supremely tragic victim. The more complex one to me is that she was an actual lover of Poseidon, and that doing the deed in Athena's temple was the kind of taboo act you see mortals contemplate often, but one where Athena took serious offense to.

If you go that latter route, the romantic in me sees the Pegasus myth as some kind of gift of Poseidon to Medusa. He was the God of Horses (weird for a sea god), so Pegasus could be his way to undo what Athena had done. Like, Zeus decreed that Poseidon had gone too far with his act and Athena was allowed some measure of payback, and since Medusa had been a willing participant in the act she was a prime target for said payback, the rule being that Poseidon couldn't do anything to ease her suffering while she lived. But once she died, maybe he was able to turn her essence into Pegasus as a way to make up for it, making her a beautiful animal with wings that could soar through the sky?

Granted, all of the myths I've seen refer to Pegasus as male, and Poseidon wasn't exactly know as the sentimental sort.

Still, it does show why sticking close to myths is an impossibility, and it's better to just pick and choose however you like. It's why I don't begrudge Marvel, DC, Disney and the like too much for not being 100% accurate, though I will admittedly gripe about them for twisting characters a certain way (see Hades). Heck, as cheesy as Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was, I have to applaud them for making Hades more of just a nice guy with a demanding job who actually cut Hercules several breaks, and who genuinely loved his wife.

This does bring up an weird point of debate when it comes to these old myths. The time/language changes and the debate about seduction/consent/rape poses a question: if these people actively worships these gods, and these gods are real entities, does worshiping them entitle the gods the right to sleep with their worshipers? I am in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM defending rape culture, misogynistic societies where women are treated as property, or anything of the sort. BUT, if mythological gods are real in this setting, and if it's known what worship of them entails, then it brings up questions of things like "worship as consent", making all of the gods shenanigans like turning into animals and what not as some weird foreplay, etc.

It's also worth noting was that the Greek and Roman gods did actively oppose things like human sacrifice. They were fine with animals, food and the like, but when one of Zeus' own children, Tantalus, sacrificed his son to the gods (by serving his kid to them as a the MAIN COURSE OF A MEAL), not only did the son get brought back to life, but Tantalus got to spend eternity in Tartarus. He was made to stand in a pool of water, right under the branches of a fruit tree. However, when he tried to reach for a fruit, the branches would go higher and out of reach, while when he tried to drink a sip of water, the waters of the pool would recede.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yojimbo wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 am It's disappointing to learn that Delphyne isn't being used at all, even in the Amadeus Hulk book. Because Jab is pretty much 100% correct about her being a great character with a ton of potential.
Agreed. Why that character doesn't get a push instead of all of the replacement heroes, I'll never know.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Amadeus Cho

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 am Image

AMADEUS CHO
Created By:
Greg Pak & Takeshi Miyazawa
First Appearance: Amazing Fantasy (vol. 2) #15 (Jan. 2006)
Role: The Self-Insert Mary Sue, Teen Genius, Everyman Hero, Smart-Ass Hero, Glass Cannon
Amadeus Cho is one of those guys who started out really, really annoying and Mary Sue-ish, got toned down over time and became an actually likeable character, but has since flipped back around into something really annoying. I almost think that "New Villain Stink" could almost translate into "New Character Stink", since Cho shows up and immediately out-maneuvers Reed Richards, gets past SHIELD and the like, though good writers will actually avert this by having new heroes struggle (see Jaime Reyes, for example).

But Cho's partnership with Hercules was brilliant, letting them play off of each other in a perfect Buddy Cop manner, with Cho being smarter but less experienced and powerful, while Herc had experience and raw power but was kind of a likable idiot. And of course, the romance with Delphyne was very endearing, and you got some fun stuff like when she laughs at him about being the 7th smartest person alive, only to realize he was being serious. When asked how he knows this, he bashfully admits that he got that title during a Soap Company Contest, showing they writers could in fact have fun with him and make him just as vulnerable as the next guy.

It was also fun seeing him interact with Thor and how they clashed way more than Cho and Herc did, but you also got some stupid stuff like turning an Egyptian goddess into a literal LOLCAT, and Thor seemed to get the shaft a lot.

But yeah, Amadeus became a great character, a superhero in training with a lot of potential. As much as I hate the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, giving Amadeus the Iron Spider costume was kind of brilliant, and giving comic Cho something similar could have been the final step in his evolution into a full on superhero.

So of course, they had to F*** it up by making him into the Hulk with that stupid hairstyle and Dude Bro attitude. Because as people point out, Cho is no longer succeeding on his own merits. Instead of letting Sam Wilson be the Falcon and Cho be himself or a new hero, both of them are now simply riding on the popularity of a name of another hero. And making Cho into the Hulk is extra dumb, because he of all people should know what being a Hulk entails. Unless you luck out and go the Doc Samson or Jen Walters route (who is also apparently going by 'Hulk' now because She-Hulk is apparently offensive), those anger issues are going to mess you up something awful. It took that Marvel Legacies issue where Bruce spelled out what it means to be a Hulk to Cho for Cho to actually get it.

As for the Viv Vision thing, from what I understand Cho is crushing on her, but Viv has stated that being kissed by him did nothing for her, and that she might need to try it with a girl. So from what I've seen it's really more of an unrequited crush. Which again, feels stupid with all of the work that they put into the relationship with Delphyne. But Champions is a pretty crap book, so no surprise there.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:36 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:30 am
Yeah, that's something that comes up a LOT in Greek / Roman mythology. Not only do the stories change, language itself changes. Much like how "gay" and "queer" have changed very drastically over 100 years, I've heard that the exact usage of rape in some stories means very different things. And it doesn't help in Medusa's case, where it's uncertain if she started out human or had always been a monster. One version of the myth stated she had two sisters, both of whom were supposedly immortal demi-gods themselves. And then of course you have one myth about Pegasus somehow being formed from her death, either coming out of her neck stump or being formed when her blood hit the ocean.
Yeah, I always heard that Pegasus and Chrysaoar (a Demigod hero who isn't as famous) sprang forth from her blood, and were the children/seeds of Poseidon.
The least morally grey one is to just have her be a monster. The harshest and most tragic one is to make her the victim of godly politics, the victim of rape that's then turned into a monster, only to then be killed off, making her a supremely tragic victim. The more complex one to me is that she was an actual lover of Poseidon, and that doing the deed in Athena's temple was the kind of taboo act you see mortals contemplate often, but one where Athena took serious offense to.
I took it more in a "don't EVER piss off the Gods" kind of way. Athena also hated Poseidon personally, so Medusa having sex with him in her own temple is this horrible offense to her. Like, so much that even the "rape" version of the story is like "Nope- you're being punished. Your fault for dressing that way" or whatever.
This does bring up an weird point of debate when it comes to these old myths. The time/language changes and the debate about seduction/consent/rape poses a question: if these people actively worships these gods, and these gods are real entities, does worshiping them entitle the gods the right to sleep with their worshipers? I am in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM defending rape culture, misogynistic societies where women are treated as property, or anything of the sort. BUT, if mythological gods are real in this setting, and if it's known what worship of them entails, then it brings up questions of things like "worship as consent", making all of the gods shenanigans like turning into animals and what not as some weird foreplay, etc.
Generally, the Gods were treated as being naughty when they were doing it- Zeus openly cheating on Hera is seen as humiliating for Hera, and seen as a funny thing to the Greeks, who often made jokes about it. Largely, the Greeks appeared to worship the Gods because they HAD TO, not because they wanted to- many myths involve severe punishment for doing the wrong thing (hubris being the worst), and the capriciousness of the Gods did not go unremarked. Basically, it was a "behave, or the Gods will punish you" kind of thing, with many stories involving proof of just that.

A lot of the time, writers just made stuff up. Many of the myths we know of are largely stories made up by individual men, and they often deliberately changed things. In fact, the Greeks seem to be AWARE in some cases that the stories are fictionalized accounts of stuff, and may not openly believe them. Like if someone made a TV show out of Biblical stories that were kind of based on stuff, but changed things.
Jabroniville

Apollo

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

APOLLO (aka Apollon, Phoebus)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & John Buscema
First Appearance: Thor Annual #5 (1976)
Role: Greco-Roman God of The Sun, Oracles, Prophecy, Music & Poetry, Archery, Disease & Healing
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 12 (264)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 6

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 2 (+13)
Deception 2 (+8, +13 Attractive)
Expertise (God of The Sun & Prophecy) 10 (+14)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Music) 8 (+14)
Insight 9 (+13)
Intimidation 6 (+12)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 6 (+12, +17 Attractive)
Ranged Attack (Archery) 4 (+15)
Treatment 11 (+15)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Artificer, Attractive 2, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Status- God), Daze (Persuasion), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fascination (Persuasion), Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Heat Blast), Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"God of Prophecy" Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]
Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1- Olympus) [2]

"God of the Sun"
"God of Medicine" Healing 12 (Feats: Persistent, Stabilize) (Extras: Restorative) (Flaws: Distracting) (26) -- [29]
  • AE: "Solar Flare" Dazzle Visuals 12 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) (24)
  • AE: "Solar Beam" Dazzle Visuals 13 (26)
  • AE: "Heat Blast" Blast 13 (26)
"Quiver of Magical Arrows" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
Blast 9 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (Extras: Multiattack) (29 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Magic Arrows of the Sun +15 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Heat Blast +11 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Solar Flare +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Solar Beam +11 (+13 Ranged Affliction, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +11, Fortitude +12, Will +12

Complications:
Responsibility (Olympian Pantheon)- Apollo is mostly-loyal to Zeus, though as one of the more level-headed Gods, he is among the ones most-liable to go against Zeus' orders.
Reputation (Man-Whore)- Apollo takes after daddy quite heavily, though he appears to be among the most stable of the Olympians.

Total: Abilities: 114 / Skills: 76--38 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 74 / Defenses: 16 (264)

Apollo in Mythology: Apollo was of incredibly vast importance to the Ancient Greeks, and was worshipped all over, with more Temples to his name than almost anyone. His name is famous even today, and the phrase "Body of a Greek God" is associated more with him than any other- to the Hellenic peoples, he respresented the ideal "kouros", or beardless, athletic youth: he was tall, had delicate facial features, broad shoulders, a narrow waist, and an itty-bitty little wiener.

Apollo is said to be the son of Zeus and Leto- his twin sister is Artemis, and both were known for their incredible skills with archery. Apollo was really popular, and became the God of a LOT of things- disease struck randomly and without prejudice, much like arrows, and so he became a God of Plague and Sickness. He gave power to the Oracle at Delphi, and was so the God of Prophecy. He was the God of Healing, unless his son Asclepius was explicitly worshipped for that separately. He was the God of Herders, and was the leader of the Muses, who became the inspiration for all human arts. And in the third century B.C., Apollo supplanted Helios (Sun) as the Sun God, with many stories featuring him driving the solar chariot instead of the Titan. He was also charged with protection from evil.

Apollo featured in a LOT of myths. When a satyr boasted that he could defeat anyone at music, and said the winner could do what he wished to the loser, Apollo beat him and then FLAYED HIM ALIVE (this image appears in a lot of art, featuring an unfortunate satyr about to literally be skinned alive). He pursued countless women, much as his father did, and even went after a few beautiful young men. The male Hyacinthos was turned into a flower after his unfortunate death in a discus contest (LOTS of guys die by discus in Greek stories), and the nymph Daphne transformed into a tree rather than fall to Apollo's advances. When he impregnated Koronis, he had her killed for being unfaithful, but out of remorse raised her child to become Asclepius- God of Healing, then punished the tattling crow who told him by changing it from snow-white to black.

Apollo's worship was translated more or less directly from Greece to Rome, where he became very popular- the Emperor Augustus declared special kinship with Apollo, making him one of the chief gods of the Roman Empire, despite being "quintessentially Greek" in theme and appearance.

-Apollo is a PL 12 super-heavyweight fighter, though he does comparatively less brawling than most of the other Greek Gods- Marvel's Apollo is actually one of the most level-headed and good-natured Gods, which is quite different from the more hedonistic rape-happy guy in the myths. He typically appears just "lounging around" or providing Athena-like help to heroes (like giving Hercules new battle-garb when his old stuff is wrecked), and opposed Zeus in Assault on Olympus, being struck down for his efforts. His only major thing in The Incredible Hercules was to randomly pop up when Athena declares herself the ruler of Olympus and throw his own name into the ring- his champions are defeated by Athena's, and he cedes leadership to her.

-Apollo can utilize Magical Arrows (a dangerous Multiattack with devastating accuracy), Heat Blasts, Dazzles and great Healing power, in addition to being the God of Prophecy. The Apollo of Myth likely had even MORE powers at hand- he visited horrible plagues upon the Grecians who fought in the Trojan War in vengeance for disrespecting him, and he was a noted Shapeshifter.

Godly Offspring:
With Kyrene (Nymph): Aristaeos (God of Beekeeping, Olive Oil & Etesian Winds)
With Koronis: Asclepius (God of Medicine)
With Unknown: Khariklo (Nymph)
With Rhetia (Nymph) or Thalia (Muse): Korybantes & Samothracae (Daimones of the Mysteries of Samothrace)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Neptune! Amadeus Cho! Delphyne Gorgon! Nyx! Apollo!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey, can anyone give me a shorter, Cliff's Notes version of Hindu Mythology? Looking at the Wiki pages for those guys, that one's gonna be much harder to sum up than many of the other Gods I'm looking into. Someone like Krishna has like three mutually-independent Origin Stories & Life Histories, making this one tough :).
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Hindu mythology is some of the most convoluted mythology out there honestly youre dealing with a religion that has almost literally thousands of gods or divine entities.

From what I recall though it primarily centers around the big three Vishnu, Brahma, And Shiva. but there are others

Indra first ruler of the Gods (atmosphere Storms rain)
Agni (fire lightning)
Brahma (creator god conflated with several others sort of a new comer on the scene of post Vedic myths)
Kali (Black Earth mother, Destruction incarnate of evil forces, consort of Shiva)
Karttikeya (demigod of war)
Lakshmi (Goddess of fortune)
Ratri (goddess of night, thieves, robbers)
Rudra (storm god, god of the dead lord of animals)
Shiva (destroyer of evil and the transformer)
Surya (sun god)
Tvashtri (demigod artifice science)
Ushas (goddess of dawn)
Vishnu (god of mercy light)
Garuda (king of all birds)
Yama Demi god of death)

Also need to keep in mind the culture that spawned them was one of the most rigid caste systems in the world, a belief that all prayers will be answered if the proper sacrifices are made, and if the prayer is not answered immediately then some impropriety was made and the prayers must be done again until the desired result is achieved

worshipers of each god have distinct markings on some part of their bodies

and they have the concept of avatars most distinct in their mythos, temples and shrines range from the miniscule little box on the side of a road to immense temples that make the taj mahal look like a hovel.

there are multiple traditions all of which have as many sides as the gods and goddesses have limbs head legs and faces themselves. which is also a big thing in the stories where each god seems to be depicted with multiple limbs and heads etc

its pretty deep stuff
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Also, before we get too far away from the Thor builds, if anyone at Marvel is listening, for the love of Odin, give Thor back his arm, his hair, his hammer and his FRICKIN NAME.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hindu mythology is also a bit touchy since it's an actively practiced religion in the world. Its amongst the theologies/mythologies I've had the least experience with, but my basic undestanding is the idea that basically, everything is connected. All gods are basically aspects of a mega-god, there are a large number of said gods, and each god frequently has alternate aspects of themselves. They do have some primary gods that appear in more stories than others (Shiva popped up a lot, I believe), but it's a lot to get into.

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:37 am Also, before we get too far away from the Thor builds, if anyone at Marvel is listening, for the love of Odin, give Thor back his arm, his hair, his hammer and his FRICKIN NAME.
I can live with him not having an arm anymore, but on the subject of him not calling himself Thor anymore ... it's weird.

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am Hindu mythology is also a bit touchy since it's an actively practiced religion in the world. Its amongst the theologies/mythologies I've had the least experience with, but my basic undestanding is the idea that basically, everything is connected. All gods are basically aspects of a mega-god, there are a large number of said gods, and each god frequently has alternate aspects of themselves. They do have some primary gods that appear in more stories than others (Shiva popped up a lot, I believe), but it's a lot to get into.
There's also the fact that many aspects of said gods are really hard to translate properly in other cultures since they are deeply symbolic (e.g. the dagger of Kali isn't meant as instrument of death, but as a way to cut the ties that bind the world ... it's also a weapon).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Spam

Post by Spam »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:12 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:37 am Also, before we get too far away from the Thor builds, if anyone at Marvel is listening, for the love of Odin, give Thor back his arm, his hair, his hammer and his FRICKIN NAME.
I can live with him not having an arm anymore, but on the subject of him not calling himself Thor anymore ... it's weird.

Ok, now I've got to ask. What is he called? The Thunder God Formerly Known As Thor?