Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cho! Delphyne Gorgon! Nyx! Apollo! Athena! Zeus!)

Post by Arkrite »

I think it's supposed to be Ze-oose and just got mangled over time to zoose.
But I'm not Greek or ancient so don't hold me to that ;~)
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:03 pm I kind of fear that moment. I've been a big fan of Rhodey for a long time and I hate the way he was offed just to start a terrible summer event where (like pretty much every event over the last 10 years) a lot of character seemed way to eager to take the idiot/villain ball, but I kind of fear what would come. One thing I learned over the years is that coming back from the dead is tricky as hell because we - the audience - got callous about it. Killing a well-established character should be a major deal (unless you're John Wagner, who offed Judge Giant pretty casually before a major event just to highlight how dangerous Mega City One is; or George Martin because reasons) with lasting consequences and ramifications. Sacrificing one over a one-shot event is like fishing with grenades: doable, but utterly pointless most of the time.
There's a lot of reasons why I don't follow Marvel except via newsites and places like this anymore. The pointlessness of death and the perceived need to go to that well over and over again is but one of those reasons.
Jabroniville

Ares

Post by Jabroniville »

Orphic Hymn 65 to Ares (trans. Taylor) (Greek hymns C3rd B.C. to 2nd A.D.) :
"Magnanimous, unconquered, boisterous Ares, in darts rejoicing, and in bloody wars; fierce and untamed, whose mighty power can make the strongest walls from their foundations shake: mortal-destroying king, defiled with gore, pleased with war's dreadful and tumultuous roar. Thee human blood, and swords, and spears delight, and the dire ruin of mad savage fight. Stay furious contests, and avenging strife, whose works with woe embitter human life."
Ares: "Lethal Force is authorized! Suspect is threatening the life of my teammate!"
Hercules: "No I'm not."
Wonder Man: "No he's not."
Ares: "I AM SORRY, COMRADE WONDER MAN! I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER RETURNING FIRE!" *BOOOOOM!*

ARES (aka Mars)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Thor #129 (June 1966)
Role: Thor & Wolverine Replacement, Asshole Hero, The Bad-Ass, Boisterous Bruiser, Moron
Greco-Roman Roles: Greco-Roman God of War & Battle, Violence & Rage, Civil Order & Rebellion, Murder & Manslaughter, Courage, Manliness & Fear, Sacking & Defence of Cities, The Planet Mars
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Olympian Pantheon, The Dark Avengers, The Warhawks
Avengers Grade: B-Level (was once C-Level)
PL 12 (184)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+12)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Construction Worker) 5 (+5)
Expertise (God of War) 9 (+9)
Expertise (History) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 12 (+12)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Notice 7 (+7)
Vehicles 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Great Endurance, Equipment 5, Fast Grab, Improved Critical 3 (Axe 2, Rifle), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Takedown Attack

Powers:
"Olympian God of War"
Power Lifting 1 (100 tons) [1]
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]

"Olympian Weapons" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
"Axe" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 7) (10 points) 
--or--
"Spear" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (10 points)

"Adamantine Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [4]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 4) (5 points)

Equipment:
"Twin Automatic Rifles" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24) -- (25)
  • AE: "Grenades" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Spear or Sword +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Rifles +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Grenades +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +12 (+13 Armour, +5 Impervious), Fortitude +13, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Alexander)
Enemy (Hercules)
Reputation (Violent Maniac)

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 15 (184)

Ares in Mythology: Ares is generally portrayed as one of the biggest ass-wipes of the entire Olympian Pantheon, even if their own mythology. He was "The Other Man" in the Hephaestus/Aphrodite marriage (and once got humiliated by Heph, getting trapped in an Unbreakable Net), a loser in The Trojan War (he jobbed to a HUMAN BEING thanks to the direct interference of Athena), bedder of his worshippers' women, and seen as the destructive, nasty side of War, whereas Athena was the smart and just side of it (Killing for Chaotic reasons and for the sake of killing, over Lawful reasons, effectively).  Ares joined Wars alongside Eris (Strife/Discord), Phobos & Deimos (Terror & Fear), and assorted other Gods/Concepts that are vague and not usually given personifications (Mischief, Angers, Threats, Treachery, Valour, Rage & Death- only the latter is really a God). He's fought countless other Gods (usually Athena & Hercules, who slew a swack of Ares' children). He was highly-sacred to Greeks, but also feared by them- they knew Athena was the "Good" side of War, but Ares represented what usually ended up happening.

-By contrast, the Romans REALLY loved Mars as their God of War, and fictionalk patriarch of their race. This left Mars as a major figure, free of Ares' catalogue of character flaws, though he kept his brutality (these people liked to crucify their victims; worshipping the God of Bloodshed isn't exactly out of character for them).

-Ares debuted in Marvel very early, appearing alongside other important Olympians a year after Hercules himself debuted. Believing Herc to be the "favorite", Ares felt shunned for his nasty attitude, and nursed a grudge for centuries (especially since Hercules killed the Stymphalian Birds- pets of Ares's). In modern times, he allied with Pluto against Hercules, fighting a duel, and later allying with The Enchantress. He later organized the "Warhawks" (which included Satyrs whose pipes could lead men to madness) to assault the Avengers after temporarily driving Hercules to madness. Later, he plotted alongside his daughter Hippolyta in order to marry her to Herc and himself to Venus, but this was undone by The Champions.

-Ares was re-introduced to Marvel with a new Frank Cho design after years in Marvel Limbo, after the whole Civil War thing happened and the Initiative Registration Program went out. He was forced to register and join an Avengers team, and got a brand-new Boisterous Bruiser attitude (he was formerly a '60s-styled arrogant supervillain), retaining the personality of an insane Blood Knight who did nothing but attack first, and then forget the "asking questions" part (as Ms. Marvel described him- Both a Thor AND a Wolverine). Once Hercules got a big character-push, Ares kind of shifted into more of an antagonistic role again, attacking Herc at great cost to his own allies, and he's more blatantly villainous there. He has some good moments, like when he's trying to care for his son Alexander, but mostly he's kind of a dingus, especially once he joins Norman Osborn's "Dark Avengers", acting as a bit of an advisor.

-Ares actually became a bit popular thanks to his combination of braggadochio, miserable attitude, and willingness to fight, so of course Marvel used him as a sacrificial lamb in Siege, having him get ripped apart by the insane Sentry. The fans decried this pretty strongly, but Marvel did the usual thing and managed to find the perfect time point to bring him back both too soon and too late, as he quietly reappeared in the new Contest of Champions book, eventually being freed from the contest and deciding to wander the Earth, while his son was in the Elysian Fields after being slain by the Gorgon. During Secret Empire, he showed up as one of the Champions of Europe, alongside Captain Britain and a few other notable European heroes.

-Ares is a nasty, over-pointed PL 12 (matching the cost of half-bro Herc), built for Power Attack, All-Out Attack, and using lethal weapons (with Penetrating Damage) in combat. He's not fancy, and he's not nice, and he doesn't have half the Mental Abilities the Greek Gods should. He's the God of War, plain and simple, strong enough to brawl it out with Hercules and actually last (but not win, since he NEVER DOES), and he's a physical match for almost anyone else for at least several rounds. He has a bit of Magic in him, but they've downplayed that to the point where he's just got minor ranks in Arcane Lore and the Ritualist Feat to explain any past spell-crafting he's done, and some Sensory powers for his ability to detect Olympians & Magic. 

Divine Offspring:
With Aphrodite- Deimos (God of Fear), Phobos (God of Panic & Terror), Eros (God of Sexual Love), Harmonia (God of Harmony), Anteros (God of Love Reciprocated & Unreciprocated)
With Eris- Enyalios (God of War)

Famous Mortal Offspring:
With Harmonia: The Amazons
With Others: Diomedes (the King with the carnivorous Horses), Hippolyta (Queen of the Amazons), Kyknos (Lord of Macedonia/Thessalia)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:56 am I think it's supposed to be Ze-oose and just got mangled over time to zoose.
But I'm not Greek or ancient so don't hold me to that ;~)
Old Greek pronunciation and writing is often MUCH different than we think. Not just with guys like "Herakles", but we also have names like "Akkhileus" appearing in the actual Greek writing. God knows what subtle variations can occur over thousands of years, too- is anyone in the future gonna know the Canadian "sorry" versus the American "sorry"?

Never mind that what we call "Greece" was actually a collection of city-states and some governments that were DEEPLY hateful and mistrustful of each other, so there's a lot of different cultural groups in there.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Chaos War:
-THIS is the culmination of Pak & Van Lente's work on Hercules- Amatsu-Mikaboshi, last seen "dying" at the hands of the Skrull Gods, turns out to have killed them, and now he's storming across all creation (with a few teasers here and there) to destroy the universe. He kills Nightmare and invades the Underworlds, taking over all the Realms of the Dead. I found this big a tad strange, as it's established that most mythologies have their own Hells that draw the dead... but then why is Pluto's full of guys like Abomination, Iron Monger & other non-Greeks? The dude even says that "all life eventually ends up here" and then Hela shows up from Asgard's Underworld, already contradicting him. And this begs the question of how many people SATAN gets (I totally forgot at this time that the ACTUAL Satan existed in Marvel too- not just Mephisto, the "other" Satan... this is all terribly redundant).

-Funny; Amaterasu is clearly the Godhead of the Japanese Pantheon here, so that bio-site got it kinda wrong. We get a clear depiction of "Power Tiers", in that Skyfather Zeus (resurrected TO EVIL by Mikaboshi) is strong enough to give Galactus a Bruised condition, but The Big G easily blasts him down to Earth and is shocked when Mikaboshi's powers raise him ("No mere SKYFATHER could shrug off--"). So Galactus is clearly tougher than any Pantheonic Lord.

-This story was rather... under-praised by people. It got a bit fat "MEH" from everyone I know who read it, me included. It's hard to figure out the EXACT reasons, as it had a lot of things going for it (the big story that was heavily-hyped and alluded-to, Hercules & Cho at full power, tons of big Cosmic Fighting, etc.), but it all just... falters somehow. It's not funny very often (which was a hallmark of the Cho/Herc team- though there's a bit funny when Venus' song makes Cho & Thor profess love to each other- "let us never speak of this again"- Thor), the villain is too overwhelming (nearly every single story & cross-over involves Mikaboshi EASILY winning every single fight with no effort), and it's overall just a bunch of STUFF.

-The ending is pretty good, though- I kinda didn't like it when I first read it (part of the problem was reading the issues a month apart I think- reading from Trades seems to be a lot better), but it's got a big final moment, Herc deciding to throw down when everyone else wants to quit, and Cho finally owning up to his importance (Sersi even calls him out on the "Mary Sue" thing, which is a cute bit of self-parody by the writers, even though that comment doesn't really make sense in a real situation- "Mary Sue" is more of a literary term (if you can call FanFics literature :)). Hercules is finally an all-powerful All-Father- which Athena then reveals was HER PLAN ALL ALONG, as she'd been playing Zeus, Mikaboshi and others from the very beginning. Herc of course gives up the power right away, doing "what heroes teach the gods to do", resurrecting Alpha Flight (to explain THAT new series), undoing all of Mikaboshi's pantheon-killing, and more. All is well, but Herc is de-powered. He goes off with Cho to engage in regular shenanigans.

-Kind of a fitting end, all things considered. They use all their combined knowledge and experience (Continuum factors into the finale, so do Herc's lessons & Cho's intellect)
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:21 am There's a lot of reasons why I don't follow Marvel except via newsites and places like this anymore. The pointlessness of death and the perceived need to go to that well over and over again is but one of those reasons.
Alas were it but Marvel guilty of this then we could chalk it up to the policies of one editorial group, but the other two big groups (DC & Image) are equally guilty.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

brothersale wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 pm Alas were it but Marvel guilty of this then we could chalk it up to the policies of one editorial group, but the other two big groups (DC & Image) are equally guilty.
Absolutely. "Rebirth" has done a lot to win back my goodwill, but I'm not a cheerleader for any corporation.
Jabroniville

Phobos (Original)

Post by Jabroniville »

PHOBOS I
Created By: Roy Thomas & Jean-Marc Lofficier
First Appearance: Dr. Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #32 (Aug. 1991)
Role: Background Villain

-The original Phobos & Deimos are the sons of Ares and Nyx (then called Nox, who was disguised as Ares's lover, "Venus"), and were killed by Hercules & Thor in their first appearnance. Later, the Fear Lords release so much fear into the world that Nox was able to resurrect her sons. They were beaten again, but survived- ultimately, both died fighting Amatsu-Mikaboshi in the Ares Limited Series.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Phobos (Aaron)

Post by Jabroniville »

PHOBOS II (Alexander Aaron)
Created By:
Michael Von Oeming & Travel Foreman
First Appearance: Ares- God of War #1 (March 2006)
Role: Background Kid
Group Affiliations: The Secret Warriors
PL 9 (71)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+5)
Insight 3 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Sword +3), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Fear Powers" Affliction 9 (Will; Dazed/Impaired/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Fear) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Sword +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Ares)- The two have a somewhat distant relationship.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 12 (71)

-Jesus, this character's history is a mess. First off, he appears as a young adult, manipulated into becoming a warrior by Amatsu-Mikaboshi in the Ares Limited Series, and set against his father. However, a VERY short time later, Brian Michael Bendis retcons him into a ten-year old boy with no training, all to justify why Ares is retired. He develops fear powers and teams up with Daisy Johnson of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Secret Warriors book. After an arc in which he deals with the reality of his parentage, he ends up mourning the death of Ares in Siege... and then he's just stabbed and killed by Gorgon and the "Godkiller" sword, joining his father as they're reunited in Elysium. Seriously, he doesn't even last ten years.

-Phobos II is basically a little kid with Fear Powers and some skill with a sword. Seriously, statting up modern characters sucks.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Phobos (Aaron)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 pm However, a VERY short time later, Brian Michael Bendis retcons him into a ten-year old boy with no training, all to justify why Ares is retired.
Brian Michael Bendis. Prior characterization, continuity, who needs it? Characters need to be twisted to fit the story, rather than thr story existing to serve and inform the characters.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Re: Hermes

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:53 pm ImageImage

HERMES (aka Mercury)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Thor #109 (June 1966)
Role: Greco-Roman God of Messengers, Thieves, Roads, Travel, Heralds, Diplomacy, Trade, Language & Writing, Wiles, Athletics, Astronomy & Animal Husbandry
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 11 (269)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 6

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+14)
Athletics 6 (+16)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 8 (+14, +16 Attractive)
Expertise (God of Messengers, Trade & Travel) 12 (+16)
Expertise (God of Animal Husbandry, Astrology & Astronomy) 12 (+16)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Music) 8 (+14)
Insight 9 (+13)
Intimidation 2 (+8)
Perception 5 (+9)
Persuasion 6 (+12)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+8)
Stealth 5 (+10)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Artificer, Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Status- God), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion 2, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative 2, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 4 (60 mph) [4]
Movement 2 (Dimensional Travel- Olympus, Earth, Underworld, etc.) [4]

"Winged Sandals of Hermes" (Flaws: Removable) [40]
Flight 17 (250,000 mph) (34) -- (35)
AE: Speed 7 (4,000 mph) (7)

"Speed Feats"
"Hit Everyone in Range" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (10) -- (12)
AE: "Hit Everyone in Range" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (10)
AE: "Hit Everyone in Range" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (10)
Enhanced Advantages 2: Improved Initiative 2 (2)
-- (49 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Speed Feats +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +21

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Will +10

Complications:
Responsibility (Olympian Pantheon)- Hermes is loyal to Zeus, and is the overall Messenger of the Gods- it is he who is perhaps most important to the bureaucracy and day-to-day lives of the Gods, in addition to being the one most likely to encounter friends and foes.

Total: Abilities: 106 / Skills: 112--56 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 15 (269)

Hermes in Mythology:
Hermes is an interesting God, in that he's usually just a "Messenger" in most pop-cultural representations of the Gods, but he's a little hell-raiser and troublemaker in the mythology. His acts as an infant include ripping off older half-brother Apollo of his beloved cattle, only to talk his way out of punishment by offering up the Lyre (which he invented using a turtle-shell), impressing his bro significantly. Hermes ended up being the God of a LOT of stuff- his semi-chaotic nature meant that he was all over the place, and ended up being a God of Luck, Trade, Thievery, B.S.ing, Astrology, etc. He got up to a lot of hanky-panky (but unlike Zeus, was never married, so he's less of a pig for it), siring a truly Jovian number of children.

-Hermes doesn't show up much in Marvel Comics- he fights Makkari of The Eternals once, and gathered the Young Gods on behalf of Gaea and other Goddesses. Typically, all he does is deliver personal messages from Zeus and other Gods.
-Hermes is a terrifying mix of Speedster, Skillmonkey and Powerhouse, meaning that he ends up over THOR's overall price point, despite being much less of a fighter. He's the God of Thieves and Liars in addition to being among the fastest people in the history of Marvel Earth (he makes Quicksilver look lead-footed), which means that he can punch everyone in range, bluff like nobody else, and traverse half the planet at ultra-fast speed. He has so many Godly Domains that I gave him an extra Skill thing for it.

Godly Offspring:
With Unknown: Angelia (Goddess of Messages), Palaistria (Goddess of Wrestling)
With Daiera: Eleusis (Goddess of the Eleusinian Mysteries)
With Aphrodite: Hermaphroditus (where'd ya THINK the name came from? God of Effeminancy)
With Oreadic Nymphs: Oreads (aka Dryads- Nymphs of Trees)
With Penelope (Nymph): Pan (God of Shepherds), Nomios (Another Pan-like thing)
With Sose (Nymph) Agreus (another Pan)
Iphthime (Nymph): The Satyroi- Pherespondos, Lykos & Pronomos (Messenger Satyrs)
With Kione (Mortal): Autolycus (Mortal King of Thieves- as played by Bruce Campbell in "Xena" & "Hercules")

loved Alan Moore's rendition of Hermes in Glory, where he seemed to be somewhat of a trickster with Demeter warning Glory that due to his deceptive nature that he may be the most dangerous god of all
Jabroniville

Hecate

Post by Jabroniville »

HECATE
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: Ms. Marvel #11 (Nov. 1977)
Role: Greco-Roman Goddess of The Night, Witchcraft & Necromancy, Plus Goths I Bet
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 11 (218)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 10 (+13)
Expertise (Goddess of Magic) 13 (+17)
Expertise (History) 4 (+8)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 7 (+10)
Perception 8 (+11)
Persuasion 5 (+8)

Advantages: 
Artificer, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (God), Diehard, Fascinate (Deception), Improved Critical (Magic), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Ultimate Magic Skill

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Immunity 5 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease) [5]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Acute, Ranged) [3]

"Goddess of Magic"
Blast 11 (Feats: Split) (23) -- [26]
  • AE: Mind-Reading 11 (22)
  • AE: "Form Thoughts Into Reality" Create 10 (20)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (20)
"Worst Fears Into Solid Form" Summon 8 (Extras: Heroic +2) [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Blast +11 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +9, Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Olympian Pantheon)- Hecate is ostensibly a member of the Pantheon, though she doesn't much hang with the others.
Responsibility (Amnesiac)- Hecate spent years as an amensiac would-be supervillain.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 74 / Defenses: 16 (218)

Hecate in Mythology: Hecate was formerly a rather obscure Goddess, but her popularity in modern-day stuff like Wicca and spellcasting has given her a new lease on life. She was usually depicted with three faces, representing crossroads, entrance-ways, light, ghosts, herbs, magic and witchcraft. Hesiod promoted her considerably, and appears to have been deeply devoted to her- this confuses many scholars, as she appears little elsewhere- it's thought that Hesiod came from a town that venerated her, and was more or less a preacher in her flock. She was one of the main Goddesses of Athens as well, worshipped in order to protect the family.

-The Marvel Hecate is a one-shot Ms. Marvel foe that languished in obscurity (90% of Ms. Marvel's villains went this route- being forgotten even by their creator, Chris Claremont, and not being transfered into X-Men villains like Mystique was) for decades- she was initially Goddess of the Underworld, but when that was given to Pluto, she responded by becoming Goddess of Witchcraft, and teaching the first Witches of the world how to cast spells. In teaching magic so early, she pre-dates the machinations of Chthon and Agamotto themselves. Zeus punished her by stripping her of her memories and her powers, so that she believed she was an extradimensional explorer, fighting Ms. Marvel.

-In the 2000s, she was revealed as a Raft escapee who was LITERALLY Hecate, Goddess of Magic. She regained her true form after spying the Medusa Shield of Hercules during Fear Itself and gained a TON more power from the arrival of "The Serpent", which allowed her to remake Brooklyn into a Demeter-like paradise of trees & animals.

-Finding stats for her is difficult given only two appearances, but this is all that the Goddess herself showed. This has the odd side-effect of making THE GODDESS OF MAGIC worse at magic that Doctor Strange, but she never appeared to be that powerful on her own- The Serpent's arrival let her Transform Brooklyn on a massive scale, as well as transforming people (Transform Anything to Anything- Continuous), etc., but her actual Power Levels are impossible to nail down aside from confounding Ms. Marvel way way back when she was a PL 9-10 girl. Theoretically you would assume that Hecate could beat Dr. Strange (especially at magic), but that'd make her over PL 14, when even the Secondary-Tier Olympians like Apollo & Athena are no more powerful than a regular Marvel Top-Tier, and Hecate is WAY below them on the Scale of Olympian Importance. If you REALLY want a super-tough Hecate, just copy bits from my uber-expensive & powerful Doctor Strange build.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

It might be worth considering that Hecate is a Goddess of Magic of a specific culture/pantheon from a particular planet which even has other deities of magic. Now, if I remember right, while Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth and other planets may have their own, he is also THE Sorcerer Supreme of the entire universe.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

danelsan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:47 am It might be worth considering that Hecate is a Goddess of Magic of a specific culture/pantheon from a particular planet which even has other deities of magic. Now, if I remember right, while Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth and other planets may have their own, he is also THE Sorcerer Supreme of the entire universe.
Plus, just being a deity doesn’t make you the biggest and the strongest automatically. The Hulk can and should give even gods the fight of their immortal lifetime.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hoid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 am
danelsan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:47 am It might be worth considering that Hecate is a Goddess of Magic of a specific culture/pantheon from a particular planet which even has other deities of magic. Now, if I remember right, while Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth and other planets may have their own, he is also THE Sorcerer Supreme of the entire universe.
Plus, just being a deity doesn’t make you the biggest and the strongest automatically. The Hulk can and should give even gods the fight of their immortal lifetime.
Save for Skyfathers. There was a Hulk issue from not that long ago where Hulk decided to throwdown with Zeus for some reason, and Zeus just straight up kicked the Hulk's ass. Which, as Jab pointed out, is how it should be. Thor vs Odin or Zeus should never be "How will Thor win?" so much as "How long will Thor last?".

At least until Jane Thor came along not only survived her fight with Odin, she had the upper hand for most of it and it ended in a draw.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.