Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (Apollo! Athena! Zeus! Ares! Lady Hellbender!)

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:52 am Okay, that's it for the Greeks! Next up- the other Pantheons!

Also- a little survey to gauge interest for potential future projects! Let me know why ones draw your interest:

1) Disney re-posts (it's actually been like five years! Which is funny, as the "Jab loves Disney" thing is a total gag now, but back then I was basically CONFESSING it to you all for the first time!)
2) Gargoyles re-posts (more than five years old)
3) Dinosaur re-posts (because this set is actually ANCIENT now- rivaling these beasts in age!)
4) Wolverine Builds (some new! Some of the older builds are AGES old, and I've been hesitant on posting many of the characters because I wanted to put them down as a "themed set")
5) South Park Builds (I think I've been semi-planning this for like three years :))
6) Contest of Champions re-posts (among the older Marvel characters I haven't touched in years)
7) Primal Rage (this one will include at least some notes on the second game that was unreleased)
I'm torn between Dinosaurs, South Park, and Contest of Champions.
Formerly luketheduke86
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:52 am Okay, that's it for the Greeks! Next up- the other Pantheons!

Also- a little survey to gauge interest for potential future projects! Let me know why ones draw your interest:

Gargoyles for me, plus it indirectly ties in to the pantheons insofar as the Children of Oberon, so it seem like a natural leap.
Jabroniville

Decay

Post by Jabroniville »

DECAY (Yoshiro Hachiman)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek, Howard Mackie, John Romita, Jr. & Roger Stern
First Appearance: Peter Parker: Spider-Man #1 (Nov. 1999)
Role: Uber-Powerful Villain, Forgotten Character
Group Affiliations: The Exemplars
PL 12 (155)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Expertise (Business) 4 (+8)
Expertise (The Arts) 4 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Power Attack, Startle, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
"Death Touch" Weaken Toughness 16 (Extras: Affects Objects) Linked to Damage 16 [48]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Death Touch +8 (+16 Damage & Weaken, DC 31 & 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 11 (155)

-A Japanese business efficiency expert, constantly firing people and disliked for it. Research suggested a deeper side to him- he was a huge supporter of the arts, and longed to engage in such things himself. Failing at that, he turned inwards, and became non-demonstrative and insular. Empowered by the Verdant Vial of Valtorr.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Carnivore

Post by Jabroniville »

CARNIVORE (Count Andreas Zorba)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Black Panther #4 (July 1977)
PL 12 (137)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Expertise (Hunter) 8 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Benefit 3 (Wealth), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claws 2), Power Attack, Startle, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [3]
Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Tracking- Scent) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 15 (137)

-A Greek Count empowered by the Fearsome Fist of Farallah. Actually from a 1977 Black Panther issue, but not a much-used villain. His arrogance and savagery were frequent issues with the rest of the team.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Exemplars

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:15 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:40 pm Image

It doesn't help that most of them look dumb, like the creators KNEW they weren't being used again, and so didn't bother to make memorable designs.
Damn. You know the design of a character sucks when being drawn by George Perez cannot make it look good.
You can tell they were going for a Kirby-esque design, but the designers couldn't manage to pull it off.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

brothersale wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:38 pm

Gargoyles for me, plus it indirectly ties in to the pantheons insofar as the Children of Oberon, so it seem like a natural leap.
I'm rarely not going to vote for Gargoyles when it's an option. It's my favorite animated series of all time.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Inferno

Post by Jabroniville »

INFERNO III (Samantha "Sam" McGee)
Created By:
PL 12 (174)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)
Vehicles 8 (+10)

Advantages: 

Powers:
Flight 10 (500 mph) [20]
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) [10]
Fire Aura 12 (Feats: Dynamic) (49) -- [51]
Dynamic AE: Fire Blast 14 (Accurate 4) (32)

Offense:
Fire Aura +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Fire Blast +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 11 (174)

-Sam McGee was pilot from Tennessee who hated what had become of her life- she hated her past employers, but found her own charter business in Northern Canada a giant waste, as she grew to hate the cold and snow, and resented that the bank owned the mortgage of her plane. Her name, hatred of the cold, and her powers are a rather funny homage to the great Canadian "black comedy" poem, The Cremation of Sam McGee, about a man who froze to death, and was then cremated by his only companion. Empowered by the Blazing Brazier of Balthakk. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Okay, it is officially a crying shame that no one is using these characters. :D Huge love for Robert Service, here.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:51 pm Okay, it is officially a crying shame that no one is using these characters. :D Huge love for Robert Service, here.
Its likely they're a victim of poor timing. Immediately after.the Busiek Avengers we had two brief runs by Geoff Johns and Chuck Austen, the former of which was underwhelming and the latter as God awful. Then we got the Bendis/Millar era, which re-shaped the face of Marvel for over a decade. Basically, 616 was written like it was the Ultimates Universe, and the Exemplars didn't fit that kind of setting. Even today they'd stand out among the Political Quagmire Marvel has become.

So yes, in a more classic comic setting the Exemplars would have been used in at least an annual or something to finish up their story. As it stands, we probably have at least another 5 years before getting back to a genre where you can have that kind of insane fun.

L-Space

Post by L-Space »

The best part of the Exemplars was their Awesome Application of Alliteration :).

I remember reading the trade where they fought the Avengers and really liked how Captain America won the day, not by fighting, but by talking to them and treating them like actual people.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Stonecutter

Post by Jabroniville »

STONECUTTER (Utama Somchart)
Created By:
PL 9 (133)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Expertise (Artist) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 10 (+18)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 10 (+18)

Advantages: 
Inventor, Power Attack, Startle, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Quickness 16 (Flaws: Limited to Inventing) [8]

Offense:
Initiative +2

Defenses:

Complications: 
Motivation (Destruction)
Responsibility (Holding Back The Electric Car)
Responsibility (Makes Steve Guttenberg a Star)

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 11 (133)

-Stonecutter is a Thai itinerant worker & grafitti artist, who longed for something more. Failing that given his poverty, he lashed out at society. Empowered by the Ringed Ruby of Raggadorr. He used his newfound creative powers to create a "God Machine" that could sap humanity of all free will. His equipment also maintained their floating headquarters, and as soon as they left, the thing fell apart.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

L-Space wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:26 pm

1) Disney re-posts (it's actually been like five years! Which is funny, as the "Jab loves Disney" thing is a total gag now, but back then I was basically CONFESSING it to you all for the first time!)
3) Dinosaur re-posts (because this set is actually ANCIENT now- rivaling these beasts in age!)
4) Wolverine Builds (some new! Some of the older builds are AGES old, and I've been hesitant on posting many of the characters because I wanted to put them down as a "themed set")
5) South Park Builds (I think I've been semi-planning this for like three years :))
6) Contest of Champions re-posts (among the older Marvel characters I haven't touched in years)
7) Primal Rage (this one will include at least some notes on the second game that was unreleased)
I'm torn between Dinosaurs, South Park, and Contest of Champions.

SOUTH PARRRRRRRRRK!
Jabroniville

Tempest

Post by Jabroniville »

TEMPEST II (Nicolette Giroux)
Created By:
PL 12 (195)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages: 

Powers:
"Weather Control" Environment 10 (Visibility 2, Cold 1, Impede Movement 2) [50]
"Fog Form" Insubstantial 2 [10]

"Plant Control" Snare 14 (Accurate 4) (46) -- [50]
  • AE: "Wind Control" Move Object 12 (24)
  • AE: "Wind Storm" Move Object 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited to Away) (24)
  • AE: "Earth Control" Move Object 12 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Earth) (24)
  • AE: Earth Blast 12 (Feats: Accurate 4) (28)
Offense:
Snare +10 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Wind Storm +12 Area (DC 22)
Earth Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +2

Defenses:

Complications: 
Motivation (Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 115 / Defenses: 11 (195)

-A French woman & game warden empowered by the Wondrous Waterfall of Watoomb. She didn't really do much other than throw out various attacks, but she was extremely versatile.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Gods

Post by Jabroniville »

MARVEL'S GODS & GODDESSES:

The Pantheons of the world are a funny thing- tons of Earth cultures formed Polytheistic groups of Gods, each representing various aspects of real life (some were as thorough as to give EACH TREE its own personal Divine Spirit, but most kept it more open).

Dealing with Marvel's Pantheons is a funny thing, too. Way early on, Thor introduced the concept of "A God who was a Super-Hero", except that it was just a regular dude who could turn into Thor, sorta like Captain Marvel in a way. Eventually, it was decided/revealed that Thor WAS the real God of Thunder. This led to a handful of problems, including the fact that the Thor of Norse myth was certainly no Superman-type hero with long blonde hair- Thor was supposed to be a bearded, red-haired ruffian who needed a Goat-Driven Chariot to fly. But with Thor being a true Asgardian God, we had a ton of stories introduced- Loki became his recurring foe, and Odin, Thor's always-mysterious crafty father-figure. Stan & Jack played Fast & Loose with the mythology, ignoring various aspects (Thor's wife and children), and threw in random new characters (there's no Enchantress or Executioner in the mythos). They made no real attempt to be "Book Accurate".

Thor once fought a simaculum of Hercules "brought from the ages" in an issue of The Avengers, but it was basically a different guy (a Space Phantom commanded by Immortus, in fact). We later met the REAL Hercules, who was depicted as a boorish ladies' man who was somewhat antagonistic towards Thor, but ultimately a friend. Herc would become a regular ally of Thor's, and the two would meet Zeus, fight Pluto, and deal with various other Greek Gods (Stan, his brother Larry, Jack Kirby and others would utilize the Greek/Roman differences in naming by just throwing out whatever for the characters- Herc & Pluto used a Roman version, while Ares & Zeus stuck to Greek, for example). The Greek stuff was kinda-sorta more accurate than the Norse, in a way...

But that's neither here nor there. Marvel eventually added a TON of other Pantheons- I have a Marvel Handbook called the Encyclopedia Mythologica, outlining every single Pantheon out there, and it's basically a near-total list of major world groups. The Native Americans get one, the Incas & Mayans get theirs, there's a couple African ones, the Egyptians showed up (Seth became a regular Thor foe), and more. Jack Kirby's Eternals, a commentary on where our mythologies come from (Zuras, Makkari & Thena are among those who are said to be the basis for Humanity's myths), until Marvel decided to add them into their base continuity, thus complicating matters. The Gods have teamed up a few times over the years- many dealing with The Celestials, and Gaea herself forged an alliance of Goddesses who convinced the Celestials not to blow up the Earth by showing them the best humanity had to offer. The Death Gods ganged up to do evil, but the Demogorge (more on him in the Creation Myth bit) showed up to kick their asses and he nearly killed everyone.

Of course, things get a little odd when you consider the fact that the Hindu & Shinto Pantheons got to show up- keep in mind that these are still VERY MODERN RELIGIONS, both featuring as the major religion of India & Japan, respectively, and thus count their combined worshippers in the hundreds of millions. I mean, it's one thing to have the Norse Pantheon when the only Thor-ites out there are nerds and Neo-Pagans, but the Gods of the majority of a billion people? As comic book characters? It leads to several questions- if THESE "Current" Gods are real and doing stuff, then where are the Christian, Judaic & Muslim verisons of God? Are they real? If not, why are there any Christians at all if the Shinto worshippers actually have PROOF their guys exist? If they ARE real, then why are they being so antisocial? Why aren't Moses & Jesus throwing on some multi-coloured robes and kicking The Wrecking Crew's asses? Marvel tends not to answer these questions (though Thor threw out some lip service implying that God was real, to a disbelieving young boy). It ALSO begs the question why Marvel would skirt the uncomfortable ground of using real-world religions as active comic book characters, and why they'd leave some out? I wonder if any Hindus out there would resent the fact that Shiva & Garuda can hang out with Thor and job to Mikaboshi. Hell, pissed-off Indians helped get Clone High cancelled, and England had a hell of a scandal when Monster In My Pocket included Shiva and other Hindu entities as collectible "monster" figurines.

The Creation Myths:
Plus there's the fact that all the Creation Myths of the world are a bit... off-kilter when you add EVERYONE's continuities into things. Donna Troy ain't got CRAP on Marvel's Earth- is it Gaea, the mother of Ouranos The Sky and Kronus, the father of Zeus and the Olympian Pantheon? Or is it the body of the King of All Giants, slain by Odin and his brothers, Vili & Ve? Didn't one of the Shinto Gods invent the entire shebang? Marvel Earth actually gets its OWN Myth Origin (the Celestials experiment on humanity to form them into various types- the Mutants, Eternals & Deviants, etc.), though Gaea apparently still exists as a pre-eminent Mother Goddess (many of the oldest mythologies known feature statues of The Earth Mother, a hyper-pregnant lady of prodigious- if droopy- bosom).

The "Official" explanation is that the Demiurge was created by Earth's inherent life energy soon after its birth, and the Elder Gods sprung forth from that. Most of them were buttholes, and so Elder Goddess Gaea created the Demogorge (or God-Killer), who slew most of them (others, like Chthon, escaped into other dimensions, where they remain trapped). The energy resulting from THAT merged with the nascent consciousness of mankind, and gave birth to the Gods we recognize. It's a bit weird, but is downright mundane compared to most Creation Myths, so what the hey.

Personally, I always liked Greek Mythology the best, as it's got the most dynamic characters (ie. the most flawed, insane ones)- crazed sex-starved people, torturers, heroes and giant monsters. Their mythology is so awesome that it gave us the Hydra, the Chimera, the Centaurs AND the Medusa. Even the "Good Guys" are notorious pricks, as the NICEST of all the Gods is the LORD OF THE DEAD, and only because he kept his abductions and rapes to a mere person or two instead of dozens. Even the benevolent GODDESS OF WISDOM threw the mortal world into absolute chaos just because she lost a vain BEAUTY CONTEST of the Gods (Zeus was gonna be a judge, but as my High School English teacher said, he didn't get to be King of the Gods by touching things like THAT with a twenty-foot-pole, and so he pawned it off to a hapless mortal, who took Aphrodite's bribe of the Hottest Chick in the Universe, and thus sent Helen of Troy's husband against Troy, sending the entire Greek World into war). How can you not love that?

Plus there's like a BILLION of the bastards- a Geneology Chart of the Olympian Gods is more complicated than a chart of Inbred European Royalty and The Samoan Wrestling Family COMBINED.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 pm Responsibility (Holding Back The Electric Car)
Responsibility (Makes Steve Guttenberg a Star)
I knew this was coming and I still laughed