Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zeus! Ares! Lady Hellbender! Pantheons!)

Post by M4C8 »

sirjolt wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:40 pm What pantheon was it that aided Thor and the Asgardians when evil gods (led by Set, I think) attacked Asgard? I seem to recall that one of them was called 'The God of the Spear'...or something similar.
Leir of the Celtic gods, god of lightning and the spear, former god of the oceans.
Last edited by M4C8 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Manitou

Post by Jabroniville »

MANITOU, THE GREAT SPIRIT
Created By:
Keith Pollard
First Appearance: Thor #300 (Oct. 1980)
Role: Anasazi God of The Sky & Creation
Group Affiliations: The Manidoog Pantheon
PL 15 (480)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 7 (+12)
Expertise (Anasazi God) 14 (+18)
Expertise (History) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Magic) 14 (+18)
Insight 10 (+15)
Intimidation 9 (+14)
Perception 10 (+15)
Persuasion 8 (+13)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
Beginner's Luck, Benefit 7 (Skyfather), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Godly Blasts) 4, Improved Hold, Improved Grab, Inspire, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 3 (Nearly Any), Last Stand, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Ritualist, Startle, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]
Immunity 14 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure, Fatigue Effects) [14]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Flight 8 (500 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [8]
Shapeshift 3 [24]
Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Acute & Ranged) [3]

"Mastery of the Orenda Energies"
"Weather Effects" Environment 10 (2 miles) (Cold, Impede Movement 2, Light, Visibility) (51) -- [59]
  • AE: "Godly Blasts" Blast 17 (Feats: Increased Range 2) (36)
  • AE: "Wind Storm" Affliction 14 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Cone +4) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (43)
  • AE: "Wind Burst" Affliction 14 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (43)
  • AE: "Wind Creation" Move Object 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (48)
  • AE: "Wind" Features 2 (-2 Thrown Weapons, snuffing flames, etc.) (3)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (12)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (46)
  • AE: "Skyfather Power" Variable 7 (49)
"Summon Thunderbirds or Hobomokko" Summon 12 (Extras: Heroic +2, Continuous, 2 Minions +2, Variable Type +2) [108]

"Spirit Arrows & Hatchet" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Indestructible) [43]
"Nullify Magic" Nullify 17 (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous) (68) -- (70 points)
AE: "Arrows" Blast 14 (Extras: Multiattack) (42)
AE: "Hatchet" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical 4, Split, Penetrating 10) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Hatchet +12 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Blast +13 (+17 Ranged Damage, DC 32)
Wind Storm +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Arrows +13 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Nullify +12 (+18 Nullify, DC 28)
Nullify +13 (+17 Nullify, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +13, Fortitude +15, Will +13

Complications:
Responsibility (The Manidoog- Anasazi Pantheon)

Total: Abilities: 116 / Skills: 86--43 / Advantages: 39 / Powers: 263 / Defenses: 19 (480)

-Manitou is the Skyfather of the Manidoog, and I just felt like adding one of them to the mix. A "standard" Skyfather is a PL 15 Magic User/Ass-Kicker who's basically Thor Plus Dr. Strange, making them all remarkably powerful and nigh-unkillable. He's not quite a "Generic" Skyfather, what with his uber-Summoning Power (which cranks his cost up more than 100 points because that's such an expensive and awesome thing in M&M), Spirit Weapons and such, but I found him conceptually interesting. He & his Pantheon don't show up that often since they're generally not as important to world history and Marvel has tons of OTHER Gods kicking around, though.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
brothersale

Re: Jab's Builds! (Apollo! Athena! Zeus! Ares! Lady Hellbender!)

Post by brothersale »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:47 pm
Ares wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 am It is kind pf funny that Earth has a dozen plus pantheons while much larger alien empires have none. Then again, many of said aliens have no gods to speak of, or magic for that matter. Pantheons might require a certain level of supernatural energies that some planets don't have or that waned through ill use. Still, it'd be fun to have a D&D style fantasy planet out there in Marvel or DC, with enough pantheons to rival Earth.
Very true. Although they reference the gods of many planets during the Thor God Butcher arc, but they don't do any real definition, they just mention that Gorr butchered a lot of them throughout the universe. So that kind of alien pantheon probably does exist, someone just needs to give us the info.
Some of the other alien gods are shown in the Chaos War arc and build up to it, IIRC those of the Shi'ar and Zenn-La. The general impression i got from them is like the Skrull gods, the individual cultures of their worlds merged so long ago that the pantheons became merged/or wiped out and they chose to withdraw from the world (much like the pantheons of earth did) but never chose to return content to watch rather than meddle (which to be fair is like the majority of the earth pantheons)

Also there are the Promial Gods (the first gods, with Aegis and Tenebrous being the last of their members alive (Although Aegis is possibly dead at the moment)

As for another group of Gods that have formed on earth that have not been mentioned yet we have the Manchester Gods (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Manchester_Gods)
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

What the heck is Orneda energies, lol?

Manidoog, I know. My friend Manny has a doog named rex. :lol:
Davies

Post by Davies »

Goldar wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 pm What the heck is Orneda energies, lol?
I believe it's a mispelling of Orenda.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Inuit Gods

Post by Jabroniville »

THE INUA (Inuits):
Skyfather:
Hodiak (Sky)
Others: Kadlu (Lightning), Negafok (Cold Weather), Nelvanna (Northern Lights), Nanuq (Polar Bears), Sedna (Sea & Death), Snowbird/Narya (Nature), Tekkeitsertok (Caribou & The Hunt), Turoq/Shaper (Change)
-Mainly known for Nelvanna birthing Snowbird of Alpha Flight fame, and for being enemies of The Great Beasts. Most of these guys are known by multiple names, as Native cultures in the Far North were often split up by hundreds of miles, and thus things changed. Never mind that Marvel just kind of added a bunch of varied pantheons together, and that the most essential member in the comics (Nelvanna) is an invention of the comics.

INUIT GOD TEMPLATE
PL 10 (133)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (God) 7 (+10)
Expertise (History) 2 (+5)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages: 
Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 9 (Aging, Drowning, Suffocation, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Poison, Disease) [9]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Respective Pantheons)

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 12 (133)

Notable Members:
NELVANNA: Made up for Marvel, Nelvanna is based off of Nelvanna of the Northern Lights, an obscure Canadian comic book superheroine who predates Wonder Woman. It's also the name of a semi-notorious Canadian animation studio, famous for el-cheapo 1980s animation, but also for creating The Raccoons and Rock & Rule, which are awesome. Nelvanna, Goddess of the Northern Lights (see?) is the birth mother of Snowbird.
SEDNA: Sedna is a Sea Goddess (in real mythology, she's usually a woman who was cast into the sea by her father, with her fingers becoming whales and pinnipeds) who briefly appears to oppose Thor & Jake Olson in Thor's own book. She doesn't want them crossing "her" ocean.
NANOOK: A Polar Bear God of the Hunt. Gives his name to the famous Nanook of the North film.
HODIAK: The "Skyfather", Hodiak is likely inspired by Koliak, Nelvanna's father in the original comics.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Nanuq? Nanook of the North, I presume.

How many of these are authentic mythological figures?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yojimbo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:37 am Nanuq? Nanook of the North, I presume.

How many of these are authentic mythological figures?
Ironically, Nanook (or Nanuq, or Nanuk) is one of the ones who are authentic, as are Kadlu, Negafo(o)k, Sedna and Tekkeitsertok.
Last edited by Davies on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

It's hard to tell. Sedna is real. I don't think Hodiak is.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hodiak is inspired by the original Nelvana's father, Koliak. (It's also a Ukrainian family name.) The closest thing to a "sky father" in actual Inuit religion is probably Torngasuk, who is unfortunately best known as a demon in de Plancy's Dictionnaire Infernal and a reference in the short story Call of Cthulhu.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Davies wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:06 am Ironically, Nanook (or Nanuq, or Nanuk) is one of the ones who are authentic, as are Kadlu, Negafo(o)k, Sedna and Tekkeitsertok.
Huh. I always thought "Nanook" was the name of the Eskimo the documentary followed around. You learn something new every day.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yojimbo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 am
Davies wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:06 am Ironically, Nanook (or Nanuq, or Nanuk) is one of the ones who are authentic, as are Kadlu, Negafo(o)k, Sedna and Tekkeitsertok.
Huh. I always thought "Nanook" was the name of the Eskimo the documentary followed around. You learn something new every day.
In the film, that was his name. The film was however a tissue of lies. :P
Jabroniville

Incan Gods

Post by Jabroniville »

THE APU (Gods of the Incans):
Skyfather: Viracocha (Sky & Heavens)
Others: Catequil (Thunder & Lightning), Chasca (Dawn & Twilight), Inti (Sun), Kon (Wind & Rain), Mama Cocha (Sea), Mama Quilla (Moon), Supay (Death), Urcuchillay (Animals)
-Ajak of the Eternals kind of dealt with these guys, being mistaken for a God in South America. They do not appear in comics much.

GENERIC INCAN GOD TEMPLATE
PL 10 (133)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (God) 7 (+10)
Expertise (History) 2 (+5)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 9 (Aging, Drowning, Suffocation, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Poison, Disease) [9]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Respective Pantheons)

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 12 (133)

Notable Members:
VIRACOCHA: The God of Sun and Storms, and creator of the universe. The Spanish may have invented the story where Viracocha was a white-skinned, bearded God that led the native Incans to worship the early Spaniard explorers and conquerors.
MAMA COCHA: The Sea Goddess, and wife to Viracocha. Her son is Inti, the Sun God.
INTI & MAMA KILLA: The Sun & Moon Gods, whose son may have founded the Incan Empire. Another son of theirs was Kon, the Wind & Rain God.
SUPAY: A God of Death who leads an army of demons in the underworld. The Incans feared him greatly, but didn't insult him like Christians do Satan- they instead begged him not to harm them. The name "Supay" is now synonymous with "Diablo" (Devil) in most South American countries.
AJAK: The Eternal spends a lot of time with the Incan Gods, and was mistasken for Tecumotzin, a "God of Flight" (not a real God, as far as I can tell).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Gods

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm
Of course, things get a little odd when you consider the fact that the Hindu & Shinto Pantheons got to show up- keep in mind that these are still VERY MODERN RELIGIONS, both featuring as the major religion of India & Japan, respectively, and thus count their combined worshippers in the hundreds of millions. I mean, it's one thing to have the Norse Pantheon when the only Thor-ites out there are nerds and Neo-Pagans, but the Gods of the majority of a billion people? As comic book characters?
That hasn't stopped a lot of fiction of presenting aspects of Judeo-Christian religion in a negative light. I mean, as stated, Hindu fans of Marvel got ticked off when Thor managed to defeat Shiva (later Indra) in combat. Compared with how, say, God and Jesus were portrayed in books like Preacher, Spawn, Lucifer, the Elementals and similar books, they got off easy.

It's likewise easy to see why Marvel avoided having the Judeo-Christian God in the Marvel Universe, to avoid the issue they caused with their Hindu readers. The problem is that it does create a weird issue of various mythological gods being real people while a God many people in the real world actively worship is nowhere to be seen. And this wouldn't be an issue if writers wouldn't keep using Catholic/Christians individuals and organizations as villains, or have priests interacting with Norse gods and having to explain why they worship someone they've never met. It's even weirder when you have demons reminiscent of Satan in Marvel, but no God. Or you get Jim Starlin (who has done many, MANY stories bashing religion) having the "God" of the Marvel Universe basically commit suicide, with his remains becoming the Infinity Gems. Or the way some writers try to handwave away things like angels and demons as being weird mutant tribes and the like.

It's just something that could use a little more thought.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Marvel is a bit weird on the existence of God and stuff, as there are sometimes Angels seen, and holy powers are DEFINITELY seen working against Vampires and such. Ghost Rider's pal in the '70s was supposed to be Jesus Christ, but was turned into a demon by Jim Shooter's interference as editor. Plus... Thor's half-sister Angela is from "Heven", which also has angels. As Christianity became more and more "cool" or fun to bash, it showed up a lot more, and writers felt much safer to do so outside of the 1970s & '80s.