Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: The Hindu Gods

Post by Jabroniville »

kenmadragon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:05 pm ... You really wouldn't. :shock:

Just... no. Don't even joke about that, dude. Like holy crap, Kali's terrifying, why? She's Shiva's destructive side and really, really scary.

*shivers*
Yeah, I guess you're right- Kali's not that do-able. After all, she's a monstrous, murderous, skull-adorned, crazy, multi-limbed, naked, blue-skinned giante--

Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Lady Hellbender! American Gods! Hindu Gods!)

Post by Horsenhero »

I think it's kind of funny that the Fir Bolg are made giants in D&D, considering Cuchulain's "best friend/arch rival", Ferdiad is the last surviving Fir Bolg in the Ulster Cycle. He ends up being killed when Cuchulain tosses Gae Bolg at him and it does it's job ... which is to never miss and kill whatever it's hurled at. That leads Cuchulain to hurl Gae Bolg at "the sky" where it will presumably just fly around forever.

Anyway, the reason there's no set template for the Lady of the lake is in Arthurian myths there are at least three. There is Nyneve who Balin le Savage, Knight of Two Swords decapitates for having his mother burned at the stake under a (he says) false accusation of murder.

There is Nimue, whom Merlyn pursues romantically despite the fact she's young and he's old AF. She learns everything he has to teach and then imprisons him (either in a cave or under a rock depending on the version you read), ending his time at Arthur's court forever and takes his place as Arthur's advisor in all things supernatural. She is also married to Sir Pelleas, the physically strongest knight known...

...And finally there is Vivianne, the Lady of the Lake from France who brings Launcelot du Lac to Arthur's court. (Which happens after Merlyn's imprisonment. In the classic myths Merlyn prophesied the existence of Launcelot, but never met him as an adult)

So it's more than likely "Lady of the Lake" is a title given to wise women of a certain power and there could be any number of them.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Lady Hellbender! American Gods! Hindu Gods!)

Post by Jabroniville »

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA- oh god- Seinfeld in OZ- it's been so long since I've seen this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18kvo

"You DIDN'T HAVE THE MAKE-UP SODOMY?!?"
"So whoever can go the longest without committing MALE RAPE wins the contest!"

The best part is, it has all the same actors and characters. Beecher, Schillinger, O'Reilly, etc. And all of the things they're talking about ACTUALLY HAPPENED IN THE SHOW (though it was a pedophile Catholic Priest that got nailed to a gym room floor, not Beecher; and it was a Mafiosi who got the AIDS infected needle from Adebisi).
Jabroniville

Leir

Post by Jabroniville »

... I think I know why this character never became popular.

LEIR
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Apperance: Thor #396 (Dec. 1987)
Role: Rival God (to Thor)
PL 11 (178)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (God) 6 (+8)
Expertise (History) 2 (+4)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 9 (Aging, Drowning, Suffocation, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Poison, Disease) [9]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Lightning Spear" Blast 12 (Feats: Accurate, Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating) [38]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Lightning Spear +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Tuatha De Danaan)

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 12 (178)

Llyr in Mythology: Llyr is a little-understood Sea God in Celtic Mythology. Not much is really known about him.

-Leir appears in the late '80s under DeFalco & Frenz's run in Thor, acting as a rival Thunder God to our hero. He fights Thor in the typical "Marvel Hero Misunderstanding", thinking that Thor had unleashed the monster that killed a family in Otherworld- realizing his error, he later leads some Celtic warriors against the true villain- the Egyptian Death God, Seth, helping save Asgard. He falls in love with Sif and decides to marry her, but she announces she'll only marry him if he defeats her champion- this ruse leads Leir, his buddy Caber, and Sif, to Earth. When push comes to shove, however, she declares herself her own champion in a "trial by combat", and beats his ass. Humiliated, he leaves for Otherworld. He has not reappeared.

-Leir is humiliated by Sif, but is really quite powerful, being essentially Thor Lite- a Thunder God who can toss lightning about, and is said to be "Class 100" by Marvunapp. As such, I made him a powerful PL 11, stronger than he is accurate, but still a solid fighter. A big challenge for a PL 11 like Sif.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Mayan, Hindu, Polynesian & Celtic Gods! Leir!)

Post by Ken »

I always thought he should be able to fly. That way we could see Lier jet.

Thanks, I'll be all week. Be sure to try the mutton and remember to tip the wait staff generously.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Re: Leir

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 am Image

... I think I know why this character never became popular.

LEIR
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Apperance: Thor #396 (Dec. 1987)
Role: Rival God (to Thor)
PL 11 (178)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (God) 6 (+8)
Expertise (History) 2 (+4)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Status- God), Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Immunity 9 (Aging, Drowning, Suffocation, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Poison, Disease) [9]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Lightning Spear" Blast 12 (Feats: Accurate, Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating) [38]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Lightning Spear +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Respective Pantheons)

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 12 (178)

Llyr in Mythology: Llyr is a little-understood Sea God in Celtic Mythology. Not much is really known about him.

-Leir appears in the late '80s under DeFalco & Frenz's run in Thor, acting as a rival Thunder God to our hero. He fights Thor in the typical "Marvel Hero Misunderstanding", thinking that Thor had unleashed the monster that killed a family in Otherworld- realizing his error, he later leads some Celtic warriors against the true villain- the Egyptian Death God, Seth, helping save Asgard. He falls in love with Sif and decides to marry her, but she announces she'll only marry him if he defeats her champion- this ruse leads Leir, his buddy Caber, and Sif, to Earth. When push comes to shove, however, she declares herself her own champion in a "trial by combat", and beats his ass. Humiliated, he leaves for Otherworld. He has not reappeared.

-Leir is humiliated by Sif, but is really quite powerful, being essentially Thor Lite- a Thunder God who can toss lightning about, and is said to be "Class 100" by Marvunapp. As such, I made him a powerful PL 11, stronger than he is accurate, but still a solid fighter. A big challenge for a PL 11 like Sif.
I always thought it was weird that Leir lost to Sif, I like to believe he was holding back because he didn't want to hurt her.
Last edited by M4C8 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Celtic mythology is a big mish-mash of stuff, most of it pretty much just made up.

This is a problem with northern mythologies of non-literate people, vs. the southern mythologies of the classical period. Not every myth of Greece, Rome, or Egypt survives, but a lot of material does because people wrote them down. A lot of what we know of Celtic mythology actually comes from Julius Caesar, who did some anthropology while he was conquering Gaul, but the bulk of it was written down by Christians during the post-pagan era (as the same happened for Scandanavia) or else, like I said, pretty much just made up whole cloth in the 19th century.

"Leir" is so mysterious it's hard to say he ever existed, although there's a shadow of him in Shakespeare's play. He's mostly famous as the assumed father of the actual sea god, Mannanan Mac Lyr, who is perhaps the earliest Celtic (or rather, Irish) deity to appear in print.

The "db" sound is actually pronounced like a "v," I believe, as is the "m" in the middle of Fomor, which should be pronounced something like "Fo-vhoire." The reason for this, and other odd pronunciations, is simple: these are all foreign words that use a foreign alphabet, which has not been fully Anglicized for what I should hope are obvious reasons (they are Irish words, I point out to be explicit).

Leir is a weird character to use to hang out with Thor, too. Taranis is the Gaulish thunder god, according to Caesar, and he used a big wagon wheel as a weapon not unlike Indra's vajra and Thor's hammer. Maybe he would have been too similar to Thor, or the shield-sized wagon wheel would have made the guy look like a Gallic Cap.

Oh, and as a point of interest to Jab, the Irish gods were all described as being truly gigantic in stature, at least during the period when they were warring with the Fomor. Three hundred feet or taller, with mountains in Ireland still named as the breasts of goddesses... and the land reshaped and changed by their casual movements, creating valleys and rivers and the like.

Anyone interested in further reading, this book is pretty awesome and super-informative:
https://press.princeton.edu/titles/10827.html

Shock

Post by Shock »

Yojimbo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:34 pm Celtic mythology is a big mish-mash of stuff, most of it pretty much just made up.
Most?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Certainly this next guy, assuming Jab doesn't do the Hound of Ulster, is completely made up, and sort of annoying to those of us of Gaelic and Cymric origins ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Caber

Post by Jabroniville »

CABER
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Apperance: Thor #398 (Dec. 1988)
Role: Travelling Buddy (to Leir)
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Expertise (God) 6 (+9)
Expertise (History) 2 (+5)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Status- God), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Speed 9 (1000 mph) [9]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Tuatha De Danaan)

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 12 (142)

-Caber appears in Marvel as Leir's buddy, joining him in his abduction of Sif, but generally doesn't get up to much. He's treated much like Hermes is for the Greeks- a super-fast Messenger God, though the Tuatha De Danaan had two such characters in the Myths (Midar, a speedster, and Lugh, who matched Hermes as a "Jack Of All Trades"), neither of whom were Caber, who is entirely made up by DeFalco & Frenz. He has weird tattoos and silly striped pants, which are even made fun of in his Marvunapp bio.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Caber! The result of wanting to use a pantheon but being too lazy to do any actual research.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

And here I thought he was some lug who's whole shtick was lobbing telephone poles at people.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 pm And here I thought he was some lug who's whole shtick was lobbing telephone poles at people.
Chance would be a fine thing!

OMG, this character annoys me like no other. I actually have a ton of respect for Tom DeFalco, but this crrrraap pushes against it. Caber tossing, for those curious, has nothing to do with pre-Christian Scottish religion. We aren't actually sure when the sport got started, but it was probably well after the pagan era.

It's also not a fricking weapon, Ars Magica! The point is to throw as many of the daft things as one can in the space of a measure of time, not hit something!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Cuchullain

Post by Jabroniville »

CUCHULAIN
Created By:
Michael Gallagher & Coleen Doran
First Appearance: The Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #3 (June 1993)
Role: Celtic God of Kicking Ass
Group Affiliations: The Tuatha de Danaan
PL 13 (218)
STRENGTH
11/14 STAMINA 11/14 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Warrior) 11 (+13)
Expertise (History) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 12 (+14)
Perception 8 (+10)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 6 (+10)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit (God), Benefit (Follow-Up Strike- May Attack again after a Critical Hit), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical 3 (Unarmed, Spear 2), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 3, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Slaughter- The Spear of Lugh" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Summonable, Indestructible) [11]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 10) (15 points)

"The Riastrad"
Enhanced Strength 3 (Flaws: Uncontrolled- Must Enter Raging State) [3]
Enhanced Stamina 3 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [3]
Speed 4 (120 mph) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]
"Wounds Never Slow Him" Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [3]
"Mind of Madness" Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [10]
Reduced Dodge & Parry 2 [-4]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Riastrad +12 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Slaughter +10 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Slaughter w/ Riastrad +10 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +16

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (+11 Riastrad, DC 23-11), Parry +14 (+12 Riastrad, DC 24-22), Toughness +11 (+14 Riastrad), Fortitude +12 (+15 Riastrad), Will +10

Complications:
Responsibility (Irish Pantheon)
Responsibility/Weakness (The Riastrad)- When Cuchulain undergoes his battle-frenzy, he is unable to tell friend from foe, and will maddeningly kill anyone he sees. By the end of the Frenzy, he will likely be tired, even with his Immunity to Fatigue.
Responsibility (Slaughter)- Slaughter is a bloodthirsty weapon, and thus must be placed in a cauldron of blood, or else it will control it's user's mind and send him into a mindless bloodlust. That is SO METAL.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 36 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 22 (218)

CUCHULAIN
Created By:
Michael Gallagher & Coleen Doran
First Appearance: The Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #3 (June 1993)
Role: Celtic God of Kicking Ass
Group Affiliations: The Tuatha de Danaan
PL 13 (220)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (Warrior) 10 (+13)
Expertise (History) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 6 (+10)
Intimidation 9 (+13)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit (God), Benefit (Follow-Up Strike- May Attack again after a Critical Hit), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Spear), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking

Powers:
"Immortal God"
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 4 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Impervious Toughness 17 [17]

"Gae-Bolg Spear & Magic Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Indestructible) [12]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Split, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 10) (16 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Gae-Bolg +9 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +15 (+9 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +11

Complications:
Responsibility (Irish Pantheon)

Total: Abilities: 102 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 32 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 17 (220)

Cuchulainn in Mythology: Cuchulainn (pronounced either "coo-coolin" or "coo-hoolin" for whatever reason) should really be more famous. This is basically the God of Heavy Metal Music, an Irish folkloric figure who is known for his tremendous blood-lust and thirst for battle, said to have slain hundreds of men in fights and building walls from their corpses. I tried to read into his mythology, but the sheer amount of insane names and weird spellings mess with me, and I can't really get into it (I have the same issues with Shinto Mythology). He's the star of the "Ulster Cycle", a mythology that goes from Ireland to Scotland, to the Isle of Man.

-Cuchulainn, The Hound of Ulster, is the son of Lugh, and his terrifying battle-frenzy single-handedly saves his people in a war against Queen Medb by calling for the "Right of Single Combat", and defeating challenger after challenger over a period of months, because he is Alpha. He defeats the warrior-woman Scathach's sister Aife in the way a truly Alpha Male does, by distracting her and promising to spare her if she bears him a son. Alas, he kills the boy when he spots him sneaking about, and is beside himself with grief. He engages in more manliness and woman-bedding, but is finally slain when he's weakened by eating dog meat (their culture had a ban on refusing hospitality, and was thus forced to eat a woman's doggie-based meal) and being struck by a magical spear. But even his DEATH is Alpha, as he ties his entrails to a stone, allowing him to die standing up and still fighting.

-Marvel actually has used two distinct versions of this guy- one in Guardians of the Galaxy, where he was a brave Class 100+ hero who fought alongside the heroes. In a more recent Thor story, Thor and the Warriors Three had to fight Cuchulain, and he held them all off before Hogun intercepted his Magic Spear, Slaughter, and he ran away after that. Which seems to be the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a bloodthisty, psychopathic warrior.

-I built two versions of the dude, since there seem to be two variants on him (messed-up continuity? Well, he IS an immortal God, prone to changing alignment, appearance & the Guardians' time WAS centuries later, so it makes a certain kind of sense. One is a Raging psycho (given an Uncontrolled Flaw like The Hulk) who can fend of Thor & The Warriors Three at once, the other is a guy who can put down Drax the Destroyer in a one-on-one fight using more Standard Brawling Tough Guy tactics. Both are PL 13 guys, and generally not to be screwed with.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Davies wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:22 pm
Arkrite wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 pm And here I thought he was some lug who's whole shtick was lobbing telephone poles at people.
Chance would be a fine thing!

OMG, this character annoys me like no other. I actually have a ton of respect for Tom DeFalco, but this crrrraap pushes against it. Caber tossing, for those curious, has nothing to do with pre-Christian Scottish religion. We aren't actually sure when the sport got started, but it was probably well after the pagan era.

It's also not a fricking weapon, Ars Magica! The point is to throw as many of the daft things as one can in the space of a measure of time, not hit something!
Most things that are generally viewed as quintessentially Scottish are not Scottish at all (kilts, haggis, whiskey etc.)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'