Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gaea! The Demogorge! Shinto Gods! The Eternals!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:27 am I'll be that guy: I always kind of liked the Eternals.

Although, more for what they brought to the Marvel Universe rather than anything inherent in the Eternals themselves. We got Celestials, Deviants, and a whole swag-ful of other cosmic nonsense. The Eternals are pretty redundant given all the pantheons of actual gods bopping around the universe, but the fact that so many of them are non-entities means they're about as important to the goings-on of day to day life in the Marvel Universe as, say, the Mongolian Pantheon. Nothing against the gods of the steppe, but the same criticism for why the Eternals don't show up for Crisis level events can be leveled against all those gods Jab just statted up. Don't gods exist to help out humanity? And yet they never do.

At least we got Sersi and Karkas and Maelstrom out of this goofy gang of immortal weirdos.
On the subject of "why the gods doesn't help humans?" there was a note in a long document titled Marvel's Historia Mundi -- which was an attempt to negotiate the various discontinuities in the Earth 616 history -- that explaind how the various Skyfathers tried to fight the Celestials when they returned to Earth and got utterly kicked in the ass. After that they negotiated a truce: the Celestials won't wipe out the various pantheons and the gods won't interfere with the humans too much.

Aside from that I stand by my 2014 comment: I don't mind the Eternals per-se, but I think that including them in the 616 continuity was a big mistake, since it created an unneded layer of complications.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Thena

Post by Jabroniville »

Hot Diggity Damn! Something about a chick in full body armour, man...

THENA (Azura)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Eternals #1 (July 1976)
Role: Smokin' Hot Leader-Lady
Group Affiliations: The Eternals, The Heroes For Hire
PL 11 (259)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (History) 6 (+11)
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+7)
Insight 1 (+5)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Bow) 2 (+12)
Technology 2 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Spear), Improved Initiative, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Languages 3 (Many), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Eternal Physiology"
Immunity 7 (Disease, Poison, Aging, Drowning, Pressure, Cold, Heat) [7]
Immortality 6 (Flaws: Must Maintain Mental Control of Their Molecules- Can Be Dispersed Too Far) [6]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [9]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]

"Eternal Powers"
"Transmutation" Transform (Anything to Anything Else) 6 (30) -- [36]
  • AE: Cosmic Blast 10 (Feats: Split, Variable- Force, Heat, Extended Range) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (27)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 7 (14)
  • AE: Mind-Reading 4 (8)
  • AE: Illusion 5 (Visual & Hearing) (15)
  • AE: "Unpleasant Teleportation" Teleportation 8 (Flaws: Distracting) (8)
  • AE: Force Field 0 (Extras: Affects Others 8, Impervious 8) (16)
"Transmute Others" Affliction 2 (Fort; Entranced/Disabled/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) [10]

"Eternal Bow" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
"Cold Energy" Blast 10 (Feats: Multiattack) (30 points)

"Energy Spear" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [13]
"Anti-Gravitons" Affliction 10 (Strength; Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (20) -- (21 points)
  • AE: "Intense Heat & Light" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Visual Dazzle 10 (Flaws: Touch Range) (11)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Spear +11 (+11 Damage & +10 Affliction, DC 26 & 20)
Anti-Gravitons +11 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Cosmic Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Cold Energy Bow +12 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Transmute +8 (+2 Ranged Affliction, DC 12)
Illusion -- (+5, DC 15)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Olympia)
Enemy (The Deviants)
Relationship (Warlord Kro)- Thena and Kro have grown closer together over the years, despite being the respective leaders of hated enemy forces.
Relationship (Donald & Deborah Ritter)- Thena & Kro's twin children were raised by humans, but have Eternal powers.
Relationship (Thomas Eliot)- In the modern Eternals book, Thena is married with a son.

Total: Abilities: 106 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 115 / Defenses: 10 (259)

-Thena, originally named Azura, changed her name as part of a treaty between The Olympians and Eternals- taking part of the name of Zeus' daughter Athena. She was thus often mistaken for the Goddess, and Athens was built in HER honor. And also, she is SMOKIN'! Somethin' about a chick in body-concealing shiny armour, man... And she has the most attractive feature a woman could ever HAVE, too- LOW, LOW STANDARDS!! Her relationship with The Deviants' Warlord Kro is a central part of her story, as their love is naturally forbidden. She was often forced to make unpopular decisions, or beg Earth's heroes for help, and generally doesn't take much effect on the Marvel Universe as a whole anymore, much like the rest of her people.

-Thena seems to be in that vague "Upper Level" of Eternals, packing PL 11 stats enough to allow her to beat Athena in that battle they had in the one comic I have featuring her. She's pricey as hell thanks to having TWO different Devices on her.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Thena

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:37 pm-Thena, originally named Azura, changed her name as part of a treaty between The Olympians and Eternals- taking part of the name of Zeus' daughter Athena. She was thus often mistaken for the Goddess, and Athens was built in HER honor. And also, she is SMOKIN'! Somethin' about a chick in body-concealing shiny armour, man... And she has the most attractive feature a woman could ever HAVE, too- LOW, LOW STANDARDS!! Her relationship with The Deviants' Warlord Kro is a central part of her story, as their love is naturally forbidden. She was often forced to make unpopular decisions, or beg Earth's heroes for help, and generally doesn't take much effect on the Marvel Universe as a whole anymore, much like the rest of her people.

-Thena seems to be in that vague "Upper Level" of Eternals, packing PL 11 stats enough to allow her to beat Athena in that battle they had in the one comic I have featuring her. She's pricey as hell thanks to having TWO different Devices on her.
As far as I'm concerned I always thought that, while clearly inspired by a Beauty and Beast scenario, I think that the big point of the of the relationship between Thena and Kro, isn't that she has low standards, but that the looks doesn't factor jackshit between them. She's supposed to be the most powerful telepath among the Eternals and he's a shapeshifter, so it's very likely that outward appearence doesn't mater anything to her.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

brothersale wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 am Ah, but those gods and their homes would not be destroyed if earth was (there are several god characters floating around in the marvel universe that indicate this, Hoggoth, for example), where as the Eternals are pretty much on earth. This means that events like Secret Invasion, Dark Reign and Secret Empire should effect them as those events are trying to control or destroy all the supers on the planet (heck in Secret Invasion, the only reason they were involved is due to a God pantheon making them). My personal preferance would be for marvel to acknowledge their existance, then pull the plug on them by killing off those remaining earth-based hero ones (they have already done so for most of the Titan Eternals in one of the Thanos story arcs) in some final last stand.
I guess the idea of gods divorced from humanity, who can go on existing without them or their birth world, bothers me the same way that ignoring the presence of the Eternals on earth bothers other people.

Not that ignoring the presence of Eternals is great, continuity-wise. But continuity is a bugbear, anyway.
Woodclaw wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:50 am On the subject of "why the gods doesn't help humans?" there was a note in a long document titled Marvel's Historia Mundi -- which was an attempt to negotiate the various discontinuities in the Earth 616 history -- that explaind how the various Skyfathers tried to fight the Celestials when they returned to Earth and got utterly kicked in the ass. After that they negotiated a truce: the Celestials won't wipe out the various pantheons and the gods won't interfere with the humans too much.

Aside from that I stand by my 2014 comment: I don't mind the Eternals per-se, but I think that including them in the 616 continuity was a big mistake, since it created an unneded layer of complications.
Well, I agree with the last sentence. The Eternals themselves are the weakest part of the whole sub-setting - I'll stand by the Celestials and Deviants are awesome statement - and having that many around is like having Superman successfully re-grow Kandor and dumping a city's worth of Kryptonians on Earth. The Eternals don't need multiple cities, shouldn't number more than 7-10 extant members of the species on Earth at any given time, and they shouldn't all be telekinetic, transmatter warping superhumans with super strength. The best use of the Eternals would be as occasional ENEMIES of the Avengers or what have you, maybe based on misunderstandings or cosmic drivel, rather than members of the team or flat out good guys.

But conceptually, even with the existence of actual gods on Earth, the idea of long-lived superhumans being mistaken for same is not a bad idea. I always thought it was neat that the DCU had both Greek and Roman pantheons (until Byrne "fixed" that), and again, given the overall proliferation of divine beings in the Marvel Universe, what's one more gang of the same? Just because their origins are science fiction rather than fantasy doesn't mean they can't be any more compelling.
Ken

Re: Titanian Eternals

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 am -In one of the more funny concepts out there, Jim Starlin had this great idea for a villain, but had no real place for the space baddie known as Thanos...
And that idea was to take Jack Kirby's Darkseid, and put him in Marvel.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Another thing about the Earth Eternals is that they experienced notable power creep in the mid-1980s.

In the first edition of OHOTMU, Ajak could lift 1600 lbs., Ikaris 3000 lbs., Makkari 2400 lbs., Sersi and Thena both 1200 lbs. and Zuras was stated to have exception strength for an Eternal, being able to lift 10 tons.

Then when the OHOTMU Deluxe Edition came out a few years later, Ikaris' strength was up 27 fold, up to 40 tons! Makkari up to 50 tons, Sersi 20 tons, Thena 25 tons, and Zuras 30 tons. Ajak didn't get an entry, but the Forgotten One did, and he was in the 100 ton range.

Now, this is all in the wonky OHOTMU scale, but basically going from the 6-8 STR range to the 10-12 STR range was noticeable.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ikaris once gathered a few Eternals to form a traditional super hero team called the New Breed, of course it was completely ignored the next time they appeared.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Horsenhero

Re: Titanian Eternals

Post by Horsenhero »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:57 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 am -In one of the more funny concepts out there, Jim Starlin had this great idea for a villain, but had no real place for the space baddie known as Thanos...
And that idea was to take Jack Kirby's Darkseid, and put him in Marvel.
Except Thanos had a helicopter...which is funny as hell when you think about it, but kind of par for the course for Starlin's run on Iron Man.
Jabroniville

Makkari

Post by Jabroniville »

MAKKARI (aka Mercury, Hurricane, Major Mercury, Jake Curtiss, Mike Kharry, Mike Curry)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Red Raven Comics #1 (Aug. 1940- as Mercury), Captain America Comics #1 (March 1941- as Hurricane), The Eternals #1 (July 1976- as True Form)
Role: The Ultimate Speedster, Tinkerer
Group Affiliations: The Eternals, The First Line, The Monster Hunters
PL 10 (244)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (History) 10 (+16)
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Music) 2 (+6)
Insight 3 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Technology 6 (+12)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion 2, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 3 (Many), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Eternal Physiology"
Immortality 6 (Flaws: Must Maintain Mental Control of Their Molecules- Can Be Dispersed Too Far) [6]
Speed 17 (250,000 mph) (17) -- [18]
AE: Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)

Quickness 10 [10]
Enhanced Advangates: Improved Initiative 4 [4]

"Eternal Powers"
"Transmutation" Transform (Anything to Anything Else) 4 (20) -- [23]
  • AE: Cosmic Blast 8 (Feats: Split) (17)
  • AE: "Speed Feat: Cyclone" Move Object 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited to One Direction) (16)
"Transmute Others" Affliction 2 (Fort; Entranced/Disabled/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) [10]

"Speed Feats"
Movement 2 (Water-Walking, Wall-Crawling) (Flaws: Limited to When Running) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Cosmic Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Cyclone +8 Area (+8 Move, DC 18)
Transmute +10 (+2 Ranged Affliction, DC 12)
Initiative +21

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Olympia)
Enemy (The Deviants)
Obsession (Going Faster)- Makkari grows obsessed with speed, and constantly tries to move as fast as humanly possible.

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 89 / Defenses: 12 (244)

-Makkari ends up being one of the more important Eternals of Earth, getting involved in human affairs numerous timse over the years- he taught writing to the Egyptions, learned Philosophy from Plato, was the charioteer for Darius I of Persia, and taught Elvis Presley some guitar. He was ALSO retconned into being a superhero of the 1940s, first as Mercury, then as Hurricane- making him the first real Eternal Super-Hero. These were authentic Golden Age super-heroes, and simply had their origins retconned so that Makkari could act as them (Mercury was initially supposed to be the actual Roman God of Messengers). He was also included in the Lost Generation Limited Series as a member of the "First Line" of super-heroes that existed between World War II and the modern era.

-Makkari doesn't really do a lot in mainstream comics, though- being about third-tier in terms of importance and never having joined The Avengers or anything (Ikaris, Sersi & Starfox are all more important by a long ways). Probably his longest-running role was as a buddy tagalong to Quasar in Mark Gruenwald's run on that hero's book. There, he became SUPER-obsessed with being speedy, losing most of his Eternal Powers and gaining high speed instead, and helped Quasar out against numerous foes. In Neil Gaiman's Eternals series, he becomes the prophet of The Dreaming Celestial, which speaks to him in his dreams.

-Makkari is one of the higher-end Speedsters in the Marvel Universe, which typically keeps guys to the Subsonic "Quicksilver" level of Speed, or else just makes them Space Flying Guys. He's basically the fastest guy around, with weaker versions of the Standard Eternal Powerset since he's put so much focus into his Speed- a later version might drop his other abilities ENTIRELY to get a rank or two more in Speed & Quickness!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Ajak

Post by Jabroniville »

It's weird... I hate Kirby's designs on these characters, and I hate JR Jr.'s work, but somehow... the combination isn't so bad.

AJAK (aka Quetzalcoatl, Tecumotzin)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Eternals #2 (Aug. 1976)
Role: Jealous Asshole
Group Affiliations: The Eternals, The God Squad
PL 11 (223)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills: 
Athletics 1 (+11)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Archaeology) 8 (+13)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Languages 3 (Many), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Eternal Physiology"
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]

"Eternal Powers"
Cosmic Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (31) -- [36]
  • AE: "Transmutation" Transform (Anything to Anything Else) 6 (30)
  • AE: Mind-Reading 4 (8)
  • AE: "Unpleasant Teleportation" Teleportation 8 (Flaws: Distracting) (8)
  • AE: Force Field 0 (Extras: Affects Others 8) (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Cosmic Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Transmute +10 (+2 Ranged Affliction, DC 12)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications: 
Responsibility (Olympia)
Enemy (The Deviants)
Obsession (The Celestials)- Ajak takes special interest in the Space Gods.
Rivalry (Makkari)- Ajak is obsessed with The Celestials, and grows annoyed that Makkari can communicate with them, and Ajak can't.

Total: Abilities: 108 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 9 (223)

-Ajak is a random Eternal that shows up from time to time, often focusing around Archaeology and past work with the peoples of Central America. Being recognized as some of their Gods (Quetzalcoatl of the Aztecs, and Tecumotzin of the Incas), he interacted with humans much more than his allies did. He was chosen as the representative of the Eternals to the Celestials, as well. He once got taken over by a Mad Scientist who sent him after Thena & Kro's twin children, resulting in him executing several sets of twins along the way- out of guilt, he atomized himself.

-Ajak was later revived by Sprite, who took over many Eternals, but they were eventually freed- Ajak was later quite annoyed when Makkari was chosen by the Dreaming Celestial as a communication partner instead of him. Going mad with jealousy, he later plotted to KILL Makkari. He was then chosen as a representative on Hercules' "God Squad" sent to battle the Skrull Pantheon during Secret Invasion (the best story of the whole Event, to be honest). However, Ajak was also a GIANT ASSHOLE, and was swiftly beaten and killed by Kly'bn, the Skrull Eternal, who was then bested by Herc (with an assist from Amadeus Cho). I'm pretty sure he's still dead.

-In Gaiman's series, Ajak gains the ability to Communicate with Celestials that are nearby (Limited Communication 1- Mental). I assume Ajak's pretty tough, but his main Power Feats involve him getting trounced by more powerful beings (Kly'bn, Thor).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

The Uni-Mind

Post by Jabroniville »

THE UNI-MIND
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Eternals #12 (June 1977)
Role: Collective Mind Gestalt Thing
Group Affiliations: The Eternals
PL 14 (500)
STRENGTH
-- STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 10 AWARENESS 8 PRESENCE 7

Skills: 
Expertise (History) 8 (+18)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Blasts) 2, Ranged Attack 12

Powers:
"Mental Entity"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 14 [14]
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [20]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

"Transmutation" Transform (Anything to Anything Else) 18 (90) -- [95]
  • AE: Cosmic Blast 18 (Feats: Split, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (47)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move 14 (28)
  • AE: Mind-Reading 12 (24)
  • AE: Teleportation 14 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (56)
  • AE: Force Field 0 (Extras: Affects Others 8) (8)
"Transmute All The Deviants" Affliction 14 (Fort; Entranced/Disabled/Transformed) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Cone +4, Continuous +3) (112) -- [113]
  • AE: "Transmute Others" Affliction 14 (Fort; Entranced/Disabled/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) (70)
"Composite Intellect"
Variable (Skills) 16 (Flaws: Limited to Skills Possessed By Beings Within The Uni-Mind) [96]
Variable (Advantages) 8 (Flaws: Limited to Advantages Possessed By Beings Within The Uni-Mind) [48]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-- Damage, DC 00)
Cosmic Blast +12 (+18 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Mind Reading -- (+12 Mind Reading, DC 22)
Transmute +12 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Transmute +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +14, Fortitude --, Will +14

Complications: 
Responsibility (Olympia)
Enemy (The Deviants)
Drawback (Gestalt Entity)- At least seven Eternals are required for the creation of a Uni-Mind. If the Eternals (or others they've brought into the Uni-Mind) are weaker of mind, the stats of the Uni-Mind will be lower.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 418 / Defenses: 26 (500)

-The Uni-Mind is sort of The Eternals' version of a Plot Device, allowing them to gather all their minds together into a composite form (a giant floating brain thing) that combines all their powers and abilities. It's been used a handful of times, but largely doesn't have a HUGE impact on stories- in their biggest appearance, they basically got one-shotted by The Celestials, killing their leader Zuras.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 01, 2022 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Sersi

Post by Jabroniville »

SERSI
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Eternals #3 (Sept. 1976)
Role: Team Slut, Matter-Rearranger, Deus ex Machina
Group Affiliations: The Eternals, The Avengers, The New Breed, The God Squad
PL 10 (296)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+8)
Deception 3 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Expertise (Socialite) 4 (+9)
Expertise (History) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Dancing) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Fashion) 2 (+6)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Eternal Powers) 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Attractive, Daze (Deception), Diehard, Great Endurance, Languages 3 (Many), Ranged Attack 3, Trance

Powers:
"Eternal Physiology"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Regeneration 5 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [6]
Power-Lifting 1 (3 tons) [1]

"Matter Manipulation" Transform Anything to Anything 13 (Extras: Ranged, Continuous) (91) -- [98]
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: Cosmic Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (21)
  • AE: Illusion (Visuals & Audio) 10 (30)
  • AE: Teleport 8 (Extras: Extended, Affects Others) (Flaws: Tiring) (24)
  • AE: "Telepathy" Mental Communication 2 & Mind Reading 4 (16)
  • AE: Mind Control 8 (32)
  • AE: Force Field 4 (Extras: Impervious 8) (12)
"Transmute Living Beings" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) (50) -- [51]
  • AE: Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Transformed) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Continuous +3) (50)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Transmutation +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Transmute Groups +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Blasts +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Illusion +10 (DC 20)
Mind Reading (DC 14)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7 (+11 Force Field), Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Thrills)- Sersi is a thrillseeker, and enjoys human culture far more than any of her fellow Eternals.
Enemy (The Deviants)
Responsibility (The Eternals)- Though she dislikes many of her allies, and refuses to follow their exclusionary ways, Sersi will answer the call if her people need help.
Reputation (Bimbo)- Sersi sleeps around and LOVES to party. She's kind of the Paris Hilton of the super-community (before there was even a Paris Hilton, actually).
Power Loss (Mind Control/Reading)- Sersi cannot affect the minds of Deviants, the Eternals' natural enemies.
Relationship (The Black Knight)- Sersi & Dane Whitman were together for a while, though were tested by Proctor's intervention, and a Love Triangle involving Crystal. Crystal won.
Enemy (Proctor)- In a super-ass-complicated storyline, Proctor grew obsessed with Sersi and did some stuff.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 185 / Defenses: 18 (296)

Circe in Mythology: "Kirke" (pronounced with hard "K" sounds) is sometimes thought of as a Goddess; at other times a witch. She's most famous for her appearance in Homer's "Odyssey", in which she transforms much of Odysseus's crew into animals. On the advice of Hermes, Odysseus managed to survive his encounter, and she gave him advice. And three sons (DUDE! You spent ten years trying to get back to your WIFE!). In the "Telegony" (a lost Epic), one of these sons slays Odysseus unknowingly- another tale features Circe returning him to life with a potion.

-Though her role in mythology is small, she's proven be be one of the most iconic characters the Greeks produced- the idea of a sorceress who shapeshifts her victims has been used again and again, and in art and literature, she's become a shorthand for "Femme Fatale" and devious women all over. She's one of Wonder Woman's biggest foes in the comics, and has been seen numerous times in pop culture. She's also played by a young Idina Menzel in the "Hercules" Animated Series from Disney.

Sersi- Avenger For The Nineties:
-Sersi came out of the Eternals books, representing the Circe of Greek Mythology (a chick who sat on her island, turning men into animals- Sersi met the Greek poet Homer, who based his character in The Oddysey on her), and she got stuck onto the Avengers for a good long portion of their run (that late '80s, early '90s era where tons of people were on the team). Despite her biggest story being the lame Proctor one (it's just so ENDLESS and pointlessly-confusing), she was on the team for seemingly EONS (evolving from the green one-piece bikini to the infamous Leather Jacket era, where everyone was wearing X-Men-like "As" on their gear). But in recent years, she's fallen off the face of the Earth, and become little more than a limbo-ridden character in the Marvel Universe. She's only recently come to light in Neil Gaiman's Eternals series as a result- she's last been seen as a retired ex-heroine. Will it be enough to make people remember her? Time will tell, but it sure hasn't happened yet.

Sersi- Eternal-Turned-Avenger:
-Sersi started out as a thrillseeking Eternal, who'd spent more time with humans than almost any other member of her race (and encountering the younger versions of Merlin and Thor), but after a few adventures in which she helped out The Avengers, she was invited onto their roster. She was pretty much used as a multi-powered Swiss Army Knife chick who could solve any kind of problem and "fix" any sort of plot (see below), while as a CHARACTER she was meant to throw some team dynamics around because of her constant flirting with Captain America (who, naturally, was completely embarrassed). She started growing more aggressive after an encounter with the alien Thane Ector, culminating in a big situation with Proctor, a failed antagonist of the Leather Jacket Era Avengers.

-Proctor manipulated her emotions and attempted to kill her because the Sersi of HIS universe had jilted him. She kills him when he nearly destroys the universe using her as a tool, and ends up travelling to the Ultraverse with The Black Knight (who had hooked up with her, but then went after Crystal, but then stepped away when Quicksilver tried to reunite with Crys, who was his ex-wife- this "Love Triangle" was meant to give some angst to the Bomber Jacket Avengers, but it never went anywhere because they used much less popular characters than normal). There, they interact with a new Infinity Gem (which modern writers are only TOO HAPPY to ignore completely like it never existed), meet up with The Avengers again, opt to stay in the Ultraverse, then come back when Malibu Comics died. The two split up, needing some time apart, and basically vanished from comics for years in the wake of The Avengers falling apart post-Crossing and assorted terrible storytelling- she wasn't a part of things when Kurt Busiek & George Perez resurrected the squad.

-This gives the odd effect of Sersi being on the Avengers for a huge length of time... but a rarther unmemorable one, as it takes place almost entirely within that 1990s period preceding the legendary Busiek/Perez run. The Sersi/Knight/Crystal thing was particularly weak, and the Ultraverse wasn't a big deal. And of course, the character essentially disappeared for almost ten years, reappearing in Neil Gaiman's Eternals, mind-wiped into acting as a mortal "party planner"- a life she enjoys and returns to, deciding she didn't want to be either an Eternal OR an Avenger again.

Sersi's Insane Powers:
-People like Sersi completely alter a team's dynamic with their endless supplies of powers. Case in point: during Operation: Galactic Storm, one team is caught in a cataclysmic explosion that destroys the Kree Empire in the Greater Magellanic Cloud, and face certain death. It's all dramatic and "how will they get out of THIS one?"-ish, until it turns out that Sersi frickin' FROZE THE ENTIRE TEAM in statis bodies that could survive the explosion, and all they had to do was wait for Starfox, ANOTHER Eternal, to pop by and bring them all out of it, "just like the game we played as children". ... the HELL? Crap like this just ruins any sense of drama, as characters can seemingly do anything, and pull whatever they want out of their asses, and I despise that type of character in situations where heroes should be coming up with original ideas or using powers in new ways- not just using one of their enormouse supply of powers to save things easily. A similar situation occurs any time Doctor Strange shows up on a team, or when the more-powerful Telekinetic/Telepaths show up in X-Books- it can be a FAR too easy "Writer's Tool" for one character to come along and solve everything. Sersi's not a bad character (her flippant, flirtacious nature makes her a good bet on a super-team, especially one with lots of dudes), but her powers are problematic and she never really ended up being that memorable to most fans- I know very few Sersi Fans.

-Sersi, as expecting, is as expensive as all hell. That'll happen when you're technically a Flying Brick AS WELL as having one of the most powerful transmutative effects in Marvel Comics history- a PERMANENT one, too (meaning it's outside the Eternal Power Array, forcing her to add its cost separately). She's terrifyingly cheesy in battle for that reason, but is a bit of a Glass Cannon unless she's using the Force Field part of her Array, which holds back her other abilities. But then there's that Regeneration power as well. Kind of a pain in the arse in a combat situation, really. She can Blast you, Mind Control you, lip you off, bluff you to death (Attractive plus Presence 5), make you see things that aren't there, or turn you into a stone statue. She can alternately transform large objects, single humans OR entire groups (she once simply waved her arm and transformed Asp, Black Mamba & Impala into harmless snakes like she was brushing her damn hair or something), etc. A ridiculous amount of high-level abilities exist in that Array, but she's still only PL 10 in my book, because she was never quite a devastating attacker. She was more handy & versatile than destructive.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

The whole "Eternals don't help the Earth heroes much" is why when I concocted the RCU's Eternal knock-offs the Erylusians I basically said flat out that most of the Erylusians are on Erylusia and there's a barrier that actively deters passage between there and Earth. And in recent months, that barrier has been nicknamed the "god dam" (small-G, no-N).

HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shinto Gods! Ikaris! Thena! Makkari! Ajak! Sersi!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

oh Sersi.....one of my favorite comics ladies
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cuchullain! Filipino & Egyptian Gods! Seth!)

Post by drkrash »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 am
Spectrum wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:48 am Lilith is a funny one. She's been used as a generic mother of monsters in too many places to count.

I think my favorite story about her is as Adam's first wife that was too 'uppity' so God replaced her with the much more meek Eve... that lead Adam to Awareness. Doh!
Yeah Lilith was one that I always enjoyed because Christianity so badly demonized her as the original feminist, turning her into a child eating psycho etc etc, when her biggest crime is that she was created and when given the choice, chose to walk and be free.

I also love the follow up which I use in In nomine campaigns I run which is that Eve was made from Adams rib not to make her subservient or meek but to give the two an honest connection to each other, each having a part of the other in themselves. which is why Eve chose to stay.
Point of order: Christianity didn't demonize Lilith; Judaism did. Christianity only knows Lilith as a demon of the deserts mentioned in the canonical Hebrew scriptures.

Also, your account of Eve is not that far from orthodox Catholic teaching: Adam and Eve were made equal to one another and it was the Fall that established male dominance as a sinful consequence.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!