Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Pyrrha! Nora! Talisman! Collective Man! Peregrine!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:38 am What do the French call falcons?
The animal is called faucon pèlerin, apparently. So sticking "Le" in front of it does not make it French.
Jabroniville

The Veil

Post by Jabroniville »

The veil is for modesty, you see.

THE VEIL (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Kirk Jarvinen
First Appearance: The New Mutants Annual #7 (1991)
Role: Evil Foreigner
Group Affiliations: The Desert Sword
PL 8 (84)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+4)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 5 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Blinding Fog"
Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) [6]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Iraq Government)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 15 (84)

-When your only power is that you mask your movements, and you die in your first-ever storyline without a real name or even showing your whole face, you know you suck. The Veil seemingly existed solely so Desert Sword could have their 'girl member', and she's pretty subserviant to the men in the group, being hushed up by Amenedi once. During the final battle against Freedom Force, she panicks against Pyro's flame-demon shape, and is burned alive with a face-shot the next moment. Ouch- whatta way to go.

-With a showing like hers, it's unsurprising The Veil wouldn't be worth much. She's alright on a team, but she can't do ANY kind of damage on her own, and has plenty of low Saves to take advantage of. I mean, if PYRO can not only beat your ass, but KILL YOU while joking about it (and this is YEARS after he was a relevant villain threat- his pwnage of Colossus was almost a decade prior), you suck pretty bad. I mean, her power is useful in a team battle, but she didn't really DO anything other than be annoying for a bit.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Aminedi

Post by Jabroniville »

AMINEDI, THE INVISIBLE ONE
Created By:
PL 9 (132)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Investigation 3 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Expertise (Arabic Soldier) 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Cutting Wind), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Invisible Air-Form"
Concealment (Visuals) 2 [8]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

"Cutting Wind"
Insubstantial 2 [10]
Linked to
Damage 10 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Affects Corporeal) [28]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Cutting Wind +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Iraq Government)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 12 (132)

-Aminedi ("The Invisible One"), a naked, red, skull-faced mutant, debuted along with the rest of Desert Sword, and was the scariest/most versatile member of the team, packing the ever-cheap "GMs: never let your players use this set" powers of Invisibility, Intangibility AND a horrifically-damaging effect all at the same time! Using his powers, he managed to slice Super Sabre's head off (getting rid of that hideous costume design once and for all), and even CUT THE BLOB, which seemed like a pretty good bad-ass push... until Avalanche just wrapped him in some stone and ran off, and that was it for him. He never even appeared in comics again (which feels like a waste, as he was rather original), instead contracting the Legacy Virus and dying off-panel, in the days when the Virus was used to wipe out unpopular or unnecessary mutant characters (they cured it just in time for M-Day, naturally).

-Aminedi's rather powerful (Affects Corporeal Strike + Insubstantial), and could be a major heavy-hitter with some better stats, but as he was, he was just a minor character who appeared once. His Strike cut The Blob, but not horribly or fatally or anything (Power Attack plus Extra Effort, I guess), and he was oddly trapped by some rocks via Avalanche, despite seemingly being able to turn into wind. The way I see it, his powers are Linked- he couldn't escape into Cutting Wind form without slashing teammate Sirocco apart, so he had to just muscle out of the trap instead. Otherwise, it's just be poor writing, and we know it couldn't be that, right :)?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Black Raazer

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BLACK RAAZER
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Jon Bogdanove
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #31 (March 1986)
Role: Immortal Sorceror, Evil Foreigner
PL 11 (224)
STRENGTH
3/8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 10 (+13)
Expertise (History) 9 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+10)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Artificer, Chokehold, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Evil Undead Sorceror"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 10 [10]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Concealment (Visuals) 4 [8]
Senses 2 (Detect Magic- Ranged) [2]
Insubstantial 4 [20]

Enhanced Strength 5 (Flaws: Must Drain Life With Blade First) [5]
Power-Lifting 2 (Flaws: Must Drain Life With Blade First) [1]

"Mystical Sorceror"
"Corruption" Affliction 11 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed Personality) (Extras: Cumulative) (22) -- [27]
  • AE: Fire Blast 10 (10)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 11 (22)
  • AE: Mind-Reading 11 (22)
  • AE: "Aura of Cold" Environment 3 (120 feet) (Cold 2) (12)
  • AE: "Emotion Control" Affliction 11 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Limited to Fear) (22)
"The Black Blade of Bagdhad" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2- Any Others are Tainted) [29]
Damage 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 8) (21) Linked to Weaken Stamina 11 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to 2 Ranks per Round) (22) (43) -- (45 points)
  • AE: Drain Magical Powers 11 (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous) (33)
  • AE: Deflect 12 (Extras: Reflection) (Flaws: Limited to Magical Attacks) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Black Blade +10 (+11 Damage & Weaken, DC 26 & 21)
Fire Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Emotion Control -- (+11 Perception Affliction, DC 21)
Corruption +10 (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Obsession (Stealing Souls & Gaining Power)
Enemy (Puck)- Black Raazer has spent countless years inside Puck. While this is a dwarf-fetishist's dream, Raazer is rather perturbed by this.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 140 / Defenses: 13 (224)

-The Black Raazer came about in a weird way. Initially, Eugene "Puck" Judd of Alpha Flight was written by John Byrne as being in constant pain- this was meant to be a symptom of his condition (ie. being afflicted with a specific type of dwarfism). However, he failed to properly explain this, so the next Alpha writer, Bill Mantlo, wrote his "pain" as being caused by POSSESSION BY A DEMON THAT MADE HIM SHORT- the Black Raazer, some Persian super-sorceror. So Puck now had this ultra-convoluted backstory and was now kinda super-human when he was originally just acrobatic and small (Byrne has stated that he HATES this idea, as it makes Puck YET ANOTHER character who has to have this bizarre backstory instead of just being a dwarf), and Raazer got to show up, threaten the team, but get beaten down. He actually appeared in Desert Sword for that one arc (because Persians/Iranians ALWAYS love working with Iraqis/Arabs, don't you know), before being totally forgotten about again.

-Your everyday wraith/ghost/sorceror lord/sword guy, Raazer's an expensive, team-threatening bugger with a HORRIBLY cheap assortment of powers (Insubstantial is AWFUL on Magic-guys, especially those with mental powers), Super-Strength, Invisibility, high toughness, and a devastating sword that can Weaken AND cut people as powerful as The Blob at the same time (though Blobby kinda just had the pig-sticker stuck in 'im for a bit before angrily pulling it out and impaling Raazer on it). His mere existence on Desert Sword kinda made all the others seem redundant, but he seemed rather depowered there, only KINDA threatening Freedom Force.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Kyle's comment about these guys, in mid-2016:
Those annuals were some of the very first comics I ever read, and I thought the Freedom Force back-up story was way cooler than the main nonsense with all the X-Teams. Granted, I had no clue what was going on in the main story because it was all about Proteus returning, whereas the Freedom Force story was pretty straight forward. Pyro will always be one of my favourites because of it.
Woodclaw

Re: Peregrine

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 am ImageImage

LE PEREGRINE (Alain Racine)

-I kind of like the idea of guys like Peregrine, though- taking a pretty simple, cheap power and simply using REALLY GOOD MARTIAL ARTS to make oneself a well-rounded superhero. It's too bad we don't see more of that kind of concept, but comics has kind of gotten away from dealing with the tactics of combat- one more thing the modern era seems to have lost.

-A PL 8 hero, Peregine's accurate and hard-to-hit, but lacks significant power or toughness. He also has the weakness of only being really good in the air, and having to choose where his bonuses lie as a result. Catch him out of costume, and he's toast. All of his gear was only seen in Silver Sable- otherwise, he's just a flying martial artist.
Looking at the character today I still think it's a character that works, in spite of being a giant stereotype and once again proof that Mark Gruenwald was a good writer, but had really no idea how to name characters that weren't from English-speaking countries. Still, I'm glad that someone added a measure of ranged attacks to him (one of my biggest pet-peeve with many fliers is that they rely on hand-to-hand combat, which makes zero sense).

Speaking of combat tactics, Jab, this reminds me of one note you (or Thorpa) made on how post-2000 Captain America is often depicted using his shield like a battering ram without much finesse, opposed to the extremely agile scrapper he was during the '80s and '90s.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Goldar

Re: Black Raazer

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 am Image

THE BLACK RAAZER
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Jon Bogdanove
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #31 (March 1986)
Role: Immortal Sorceror, Evil Foreigner
PL 11 (224)
STRENGTH
3/8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 10 (+13)
Expertise (History) 9 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+10)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Artificer, Chokehold, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Evil Undead Sorceror"
Protection 10 [10]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
Concealment (Visuals) 4 [8]
Senses 2 (Detect Magic- Ranged) [2]
Insubstantial 4 [20]

Enhanced Strength 5 (Flaws: Must Drain Life With Blade First) [5]
Power-Lifting 2 (Flaws: Must Drain Life With Blade First) [1]

"Mystical Sorceror"
"Corruption" Affliction 11 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed Personality) (Extras: Cumulative) (22) -- [27]
  • AE: Fire Blast 10 (10)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 11 (22)
  • AE: Mind-Reading 11 (22)
  • AE: "Aura of Cold" Environment 3 (120 feet) (Cold 2) (12)
  • AE: "Emotion Control" Affliction 11 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Limited to Fear) (22)
"The Black Blade of Bagdhad" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2- Any Others are Tainted) [29]
Damage 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 8) (21) Linked to Weaken Stamina 11 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to 2 Ranks per Round) (22) (43) -- (45 points)
  • AE: Drain Magical Powers 11 (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous) (33)
  • AE: Deflect 12 (Extras: Reflection) (Flaws: Limited to Magical Attacks) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Black Blade +10 (+11 Damage & Weaken, DC 26 & 21)
Fire Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Emotion Control -- (+11 Perception Affliction, DC 21)
Corruption +10 (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Obsession (Stealing Souls & Gaining Power)
Enemy (Puck)- Black Raazer has spent countless years inside Puck. While this is a dwarf-fetishist's dream, Raazer is rather perturbed by this.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 140 / Defenses: 13 (224)

-The Black Raazer came about in a weird way. Initially, Eugene "Puck" Judd of Alpha Flight was written by John Byrne as being in constant pain- this was meant to be a symptom of his condition (ie. being afflicted with a specific type of dwarfism). However, he failed to properly explain this, so the next Alpha writer, Bill Mantlo, wrote his "pain" as being caused by POSSESSION BY A DEMON THAT MADE HIM SHORT- the Black Raazer, some Persian super-sorceror. So Puck now had this ultra-convoluted backstory and was now kinda super-human when he was originally just acrobatic and small (Byrne has stated that he HATES this idea, as it makes Puck YET ANOTHER character who has to have this bizarre backstory instead of just being a dwarf), and Raazer got to show up, threaten the team, but get beaten down. He actually appeared in Desert Sword for that one arc (because Persians/Iranians ALWAYS love working with Iraqis/Arabs, don't you know), before being totally forgotten about again.

-Your everyday wraith/ghost/sorceror lord/sword guy, Raazer's an expensive, team-threatening bugger with a HORRIBLY cheap assortment of powers (Insubstantial is AWFUL on Magic-guys, especially those with mental powers), Super-Strength, Invisibility, high toughness, and a devastating sword that can Weaken AND cut people as powerful as The Blob at the same time (though Blobby kinda just had the pig-sticker stuck in 'im for a bit before angrily pulling it out and impaling Raazer on it). His mere existence on Desert Sword kinda made all the others seem redundant, but he seemed rather depowered there, only KINDA threatening Freedom Force.
Thanks for doing Black Raazar, Jab!

While I heard of him, never saw him or knew what he could do. They always referred to him as powerful, but I had no idea of his powers, other than he shrunk the Puck.

Oh, good pic too! He does look evil!
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Veil

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 am Image

The veil is for modesty, you see.

THE VEIL (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:

-When your only power is that you mask your movements, and you die in your first-ever storyline without a real name or even showing your whole face, you know you suck.
One thing that always stuck out for me about how much Veil sucked was that her death was apparently at least partially due to her own powers. There was so much smoke/mist around that she claimed she couldn't see anyone, and when she saw someone moving she fearfully asked if it was one of her allies, only for it to be Pyro, who promptly killed her (while cracking a sadistic joke, no less). So yeah, the woman whose power was to create smoke/mist/fog cover for her teammates apparently died because she'd created too much smoke/mist/fog and her enemy used it to sneak up on HER.

Now THAT'S a crappy mutant power when it's only useful for creating concealment, but it works AGAINST YOU as well. She should have sprung for some night-vision goggles.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Peregrine

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 am ImageImage

LE PEREGRINE (Alain Racine)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald, Bill Mantlo, Steven Grant & John Romita Jr.
Country of Origin: France
First Appearance: Contest of Champions #1 (June 1982)
Role: Ethnic Stereotype, Flier
Group Affiliations: The Wild Pack

-I kind of like the idea of guys like Peregrine, though- taking a pretty simple, cheap power and simply using REALLY GOOD MARTIAL ARTS to make oneself a well-rounded superhero. It's too bad we don't see more of that kind of concept, but comics has kind of gotten away from dealing with the tactics of combat- one more thing the modern era seems to have lost.
Yeah, like that earlier quote of mine said, I kind of liked the character and the concept. Naturally the name needs a little tweaking, but someone basically said, "What if we took Nightwing and gave him Hawkman/Falcon-style wings"? His fight with Angel was actually pretty cool because it showed how two heroes with the same basic abilities could fight very differently. This guy actually wouldn't be bad on an international superhero team.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Red Ronin

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

RED RONIN (aka SJ3RX)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: Godzilla #6 (Jan. 1978)
Role: Giant Mech
Country of Origin: Japan
Group Affiliations: The Thunderbolts, Various Pilots & Controllers
PL 14 (165)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA -- AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills: 
None

Advantages: 
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Giant Robot"
Flight 7 (240 mph) [14]

"Huge Size" Growth 16 (Str & Toughness +16, +16 Mass, +8 Intimidation, -8 Dodge/Parry, +4 Speed) -- (96 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [33]
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 19) [22]
"Massive Fists" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [28]

"Weapon Systems" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [37]
"Missiles" Blast 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (56) -- (61 points)
  • AE: "Solar Blade" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating 16) (19)
  • AE: "Rotary Discus" Enhanced Dodge 2 & Parry 2 (4)
  • AE: "Discus as Gatling Gun" Blast 15 (Extras: Multiattack) (45)
  • AE: "Throwing Discus" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet) (Extras: Ranged 15) (17)
  • AE: "Arm-Mounted Power Blasters" Blast 16 (Extras: Penetrating) (48)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Massive Fists +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Solar Blade +6 (+21 Damage, DC 36)
Ranged Weapons +10 (+15-16 Ranged Damage, DC 30-31)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (+4 Discus, DC 12-14), Parry +2 (+4 Discus, DC 12-14), Toughness +19 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Robotic Mecha)- The Red Ronin is actually a vehicle of sorts, and must be piloted by sentient beings to be capable of anything.
Disabled (Fighting Style)- Red Ronin typically runs just fine, but using Accurate or Power Attack requires at least one of the Pilots to make a Skill Check.

Total: Abilities: -24 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 162 / Defenses: 16 (165)

-Red Ronin's been a rarely-appearing Mecha for generations. Basically a riff on the Japanese Super Robot genre (Shogun Warriors was popular for a time in the 1970s), he was created for the Godzilla comic book Marvel produced during the peak of Toho-fervor in the '70s. The Red Ronin has fallen into various hands over the years, and is never quite the big deal you'd EXPECT it to be, but it's nonetheless a big damn suit of armour. More or less, it's a giant "One-Issue Threat" in numerous stories- primarily just filler. Personally, I think Marvel dropped the ball by not using this thing during the height of Power Rangers Mania during the 1990s.

-Red Ronin was developed by Stark International and a pair of Japanese scientists, in order to provide a safety measure against Godzilla, who was then part of the Marvel Universe. However, it was soon stolen by the grandson of one of the creators, who dubbed him "Red Ronin". The boy controlled him in a fight against Godzilla, and it soon proved impossible for anyone else to pilot it, as it had absorbed the boy's brain patterns. The robot was eventually destroyed in a fight between Godzilla and Yetrigar. Red Ronin was rebuilt, but one Stark technician betrayed everyone by programming it to help him start World War III. He flew over New York City, which drew the attention of the Avengers, who scrapped the thing.

-The robot was reactivated by Stane International, but a vengeful ex-Stane employee comandeered it and went on a rampage- a heroic scientist loyal to Stane assisted the Wasp in deactivating it. Later, Wolverine and Sunfire opposed the attempts of various evil organizations to grab the Red Ronin that Fujikawa Enterprises had built. Later, Henry Peter Gyrich used one to lure the Avengers into a fight with the Thunderbolts. It was made a Thunderbolt during Civil War, but this never went anywhere. A new Red Ronin is a cyborg, refered to as "Namie" in The Loners (the Runaways offshoot). 

-I was gonna use the "Mecha" rules in Mecha and Manga (adjusted for 3rd Edition), but I figured "screw it" and just built it as a guy, using the pilot's own mental stats or something, since this is how most people would end up encountering the thing anyways. It's HUGE, about 100 feet tall, and packs a huge amount of weapons, but as an Easy to Lose Array, and it's own Massive Fists, which hit as an Area Attack (imagine dodging fists that size and you get the idea). It does more raw damage unarmed (or with it's Solar Blade) than THOR does with Mjolnir, and given the size of this thing, that's no surprise. With all the bells and whistles, it's a PL 14 Robot (PL 13 in Close Range, PL 13.5 with the Solar Blade, PL 13.5 at Range, PL 10.5 defensively, and PL 11.5 with the Discus Shield boosting its defense)- enough to challenge an entire team of heroes, and give them a HELL of a fight. Best way to disable it is to break through the pilot's section and take out the guy controlling it. But really, it's big enough that almost any hero can strike it, and PL 11.5 Defenses aren't going to hold up to a protracted effort against major superheroes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Red Ronin is rather cool (at least, to a mecha fan like me). I imagine the three Shogun Warriors would use the same overall template, since they're all giant human-piloted robots.
The Unofficial Appendix has pages for all three (Dangard Ace, Combatra, and Raydeen), too. Apparently Dr. Demonicus was a recurring antagonist for them, making various monsters for them to fight.
Davies

Re: Red Ronin

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 pm
-I was gonna use the "Mecha" rules in Mecha and Manga (adjusted for 3rd Edition), but I figured "screw it"
... the ones that were already updated for you In Gadget Guides?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I don't know if I own that book or not.
Jabroniville

Defensor

Post by Jabroniville »

DEFENSOR (Gabriel Carlos Dantes Sepulveda)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald, Bill Mantlo, Steven Grant & John Romita Jr.
Country of Origin: Brazil (sometimes Argentina in bios)
First Appearance: Contest of Champions #1 (June 1982)
Role: Wannabe Lothario, Racial Stereotype
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Lethal Legion, The Phalanx, The Sons of Yinsen
PL 9 (101)
STRENGTH
2/5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Construction Worker) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Shield) 4 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+3)

Advantages: 
Close Attack 2, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Shield Attacks), Improved Smash, Interpose, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Taunt

Powers:
"Vibranium Defensor Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [19]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 9) (14)
Immunity 3 (Radiation, Heat, Cold) (3)
-- (23 points)

"Defensor's Shield" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Evasion, Withstand Damage (2)
"Shield Toss" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Dynamic, Ricochet, Split) (Extras: Ranged 6) (Diminished Range -1) (10) -- (16)
  • Dynamic AE: "Repelling Energy" Deflect 9 (Extras: Reflect) (Flaws: Limited to Energy) (9)
  • Dynamic AE: "Shield Bash" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 5) (8)
  • Dynamic AE: Enhanced Dodge 2 & Parry 2 (Extras: Sustained +0) (5)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Armour +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Shield Bash +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Shield Toss +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+9 Shield, DC 19), Parry +7 (+9 Shield, DC 19), Toughness +4 (+9 Armour, +5 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications: 
Motivation (Champion of the People)- Gabriel is devoted to being a symbol to the people of Argentina. Or Brazil.
Reputation (Latin Lover)- Gabriel introduced himself to the world of super-heroes by trying to nail She-Hulk. An admirable try, but he pretty much always acts like this. He's very cocky as well, convinced of his own greatness.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 7 (101)

-Defensor probably got the shortest end of the stick out of his whole group of foreign heroes. Instead of getting a good showing, he got to act like an idiot, hit on everything in sight (a stereotypical South American trait), then got housed by Iron Man. He was a construction worker who uncovered a mysterious suit of armour (whose origin was never discovered- especially odd because it was apparently made of Vibranium, known to exist only in Wakanda & the Savage Land. His appearances after the "Contest" are ridiculously short- a one-shot background scene in The Hulk, and his death in Captain America.

-He might've been something, but his Conquistador outfit and general goofy reputation didn't help him at all, and he was eventually killed by Zeitgeist, who is apparently like Scourge, but with crappy foreign stereotypes instead of lame, two-bit villains- Defensor and La Bandera are the only real "name" heroes to die (the others are Captain Forza, and three guys invented for the story- "Oro Macabra", "El Condor" and "Zona Rosa"). Poor Gabriel doesn't even have a concrete nation of origin- he's said to be from Brazil in his debut, but it's switched to Argentina in The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, a rare lapse in Gruenwald's continuity-sense.

-A funny story that was told when I posted him in 2011 was that his name was chosen because it wasn't a stereotypical word or ethnic thing from South America. He was intended more to be a generic super-hero. So imagine the creator's reaction when he sees the character sketches come down, and of course he's an obvious "Conquistator"-looking goof.

-A PL 8 offensive, PL 9 defensive hero with lower points due to lack of Skills and Advantages, Defensor could've been a contender. His armour is extremely good, the envy of any hero with decent attributes, but he's left being a mini-Cap with some high Strength and Toughness, thanks to a relatively-impervious suit. It's strong enough to last a few rounds with Iron Man in the '80s (roughly a PL 10 to 11-type threat), but he was nowhere even close to winning.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Defensor could probably be a pretty decent hero if he had some weapons in that armor of his, though at least his armor is good. The thing that amuses me the most is that he shares his name with the Protectobot gestalt, though.