Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Brooklyn! Broadway! Hudson! Elisa! The Pack!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:53 am well...here I go again but....I always thought Hyena was hot too
You have problems. Sick, filthy, disgusting, unmentionable problems.

No wonder we're friends :).
truth

I dunno....I always like the crazy, skanky chicks. just always have.
Jabroniville

Coyote

Post by Jabroniville »

COYOTE
Played By:
Jonathan Frakes
Role: Constantly-Destroyed Robot
PL 10 (179)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6, +xx Size)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Technology 6 (+11)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Equipment 3 (Built-In Tools), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 11

Powers:
"Robotic Frame"
Growth 3 (Str & Toughness +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 (Extras: Impervious 5) [12]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
"Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]
"Radar" Senses 4 (Accurate, Ranged Radio Sense) [4]

"Sonic Disruptor" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Inaccurate -1, Diminished Range -2) (28) -- [31]
  • AE: "Blaster" Blast 9 (Feats: Split) (19)
  • AE: "Electrical Strike" Damage 10 (10)
  • AE: "Sleep Gas" Affliction 7 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Claws & Electrical Strike +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Blaster +11 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Sonic Disruptor +9 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerable (Electrical & Magnetic Attacks)
Involuntary Transformation (Metal Head)- Coyote 2.0 was really just a suit of armour around a floating robotic head- if his armour is cracked open, his "real" form is highly-vulnerable.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 11 (179)

-Coyote is pretty much the superheavyweight of "The Pack, Version 2.0", being a robotic Xanatos head controlling a super-powerful robot that leads the Fox-less mercenaries on various crime sprees. Not an overly interesting character (since he's basically Xanatos without most of the flair), but he's one of the more physically powerful villains the characters fight, and is thus quite scary.

-Coyote is fairly pricey given his, size, armour, flight & weapons capabilities. It usually takes either a bunch of the boys working together to bring him down, or Goliath himself going all-out to wreck his systems. Easily the most powerful Pack member, and usually one of the toughest villains of the series. His only weakness is that he's quite slow and easy to hit, being a big robot thing. As a robot, he of course can show up frequently with different types of powers, so feel free to go nuts on him.

-Coyote 1.0 was Strength 8 (he tore a BIG metal grate off it's hinges, which is well into the Spider-Man weight class of Strength) and Human-Sized, able to fight equally with most Gargoyles. Coyote 2.0 (a big bad-ass Canine Robot) is mostly represented here, as is 3.0, who looked more Spider-y and inhuman. Coyote 4.0 was built from the Cauldron of Life, allowing him to easily-hold & de-power Children of Oberon (kind of a powerful Touch Affliction- Transformed to De-Powered).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Edge: One of the finest Xanatos moments, when Owen beats him in martial arts practice- "Would you rather I pretend to lose?" "I'd FIRE you if you did!" He debuts the most bad-ass suit of armor in history, while Matt Bluestone gets his first speaking role as Elisa's new (and inconvenient) partner- I liked how Matt was competent and quirky instead of just being annoying and terrible at his job, like how most shows would do it. A pretty strong moment for Broadway, as he takes on the "Upgraded" Steel Clan (with their new "Wrecking Crew Power-Up") and takes out BOTH robots by himself. Their low-key Aura Attacks are on display here, as they only mildly hurt Brooklyn & Lexington, and only seem to be used when someone grabs them. It still kinda bothers me that Broadway let one explode RIGHT into the Statue of Liberty's "Book", but I guess destruction of public monuments is par for the superhero course.

Long Way To Morning: A great one featuring Hudson being hunted by Demona throughout the night, while Goliath grows steadily weaker from her poison. Some weak animation in this one, though David Warner is great as the would-be one-shot villain The Archmage (so much so that he gets a whole arc based around him later). The past story is pretty interesting, with Young Demona proving to pretty much have the "bitch" in her already, as she's trying to turf the aging Hudson out of leadership. The Archmage goes down HILARIOUSLY quickly after Hudson & Demona eat his Magic Blasts. Modern Day Hudson gets a GREAT feat, doing a mid-air spinning somersault while simultaneously deflecting the MUCH more dangerous Demona's laser blasts FOUR TIMES. He chops an angel tombstone in half (quite impossible for a sword to cleave stone, but hey, it's Gargoyle-driven and it looks cool, so why not?).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Some Ed Asner goodness- his most famous line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etyO7T6WGwU

It's amazing how long and quality a career he's had. On one of the biggest sitcoms of all time, and then he becomes a "Workhorse" Cartoon Voice Actor (heard in Gargoyles, Spider-Man (J. Jonah Jameson), The Boondocks (Wuncler) and Superman: The Animated Series (the best Granny Goodness you could ever get). Then he gets UP! and basically rocks the world as a Pixar Leading Man.

Here's the famous Chuckles Bites The Dust episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show: A tour de force for most of the actors (Mary's funeral breakdown is pretty much still taught in comedy school), but Lou Grant gets a GREAT bit with Murray Slaughter at 10:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-s-EuhJofY
Jabroniville

Talon

Post by Jabroniville »

TALON (Derek Maza)
Played By:
Rocky Carroll
Role: Foolish Younger Brother, Leader of Secondary-Character Clan
PL 9 (152)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+8)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Police Officer) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Sewer Dweller) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 1 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+8)
Vehicles 6 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Flying Machines

Advantages:
Diehard, Great Endurance, Leadership, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Vehicles), Ultimate Vehicles Skill

Powers:
"Mutate Physiology"
"Bat's Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (4) -- [5]
  • AE: Speed 3 (16 mph) (3)
"Panther's Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Dark Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+11) (Flaws: Limited to Darkness) [1]

"Panther's Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

"Electric Eel Powers" Bast 8 [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Maggie Reed)- Talon has grown close to one of his fellow Mutates in the Labyrinth, Maggie.
Relationship (Elisa, Sister)- Derek chafes under her protective instincts, and often rejects her out of spite. Despite this, they are very close, with their own "Sibling Code" ("Cross my heart..." "... Hope to die.").
Responsibility (The Labyrinth Clan)- Talon was as unable to escape Leadership as Brooklyn was- he now guards the entire Labyrinth and it's rag-tag bunch of outsiders.
Enemy (David Xanatos, Anton Sevarius)- Both are responsible for twisting Derek into Talon.
Prejudice (Monster)

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 14 (152)

-Talon was a bit of the hint towards future weirdness in Gargoyles, as rather than just fight Demona, Xanatos & Co., they added a new aspect- weird science was now very real. So Xanatos & his head psycho Anton Sevarius create some mutates using cats, mixed with bats & eels, and they use Derek Maza, the younger brother of bossy Miss Elisa (like all good older siblings, she's a meddler and a lecturer), as their first guinea pig. So Derek becomes Talon, and is outcast to the sewers, though he pretty quickly becomes a Gargoyle ally, reuniting with his family (Elisa has to do the slow reveal to them) and leading his own Clan beneath New York, helping the homeless and other outcasts. The whole thing was VERY "Marvel Comics", especially similar to the Morlocks.

-Derek leads the Outcasts, forming a hobo-community with the other exiles, and teams up with Fang, Claw and Maggie Reed, with whom he forms a relationship (much to the chagrin of Brooklyn, who nurses a crush on her). Derek shows much of the strain of leadership (especially since Fang is openly hostile and traitorous), and ends up quite serious, much like Goliath. Ultimately, I don't feel like they got as much out of his character as they could have- he & Maggie don't go that far, and he & Elisa don't interact all that much aside from the occasional bit here and there.

-Talon is boosted above the usual Gargoyles, but is lesser than Goliath. His Blast power is his main trick (and puts him well above the cost of the Clan), and is the only thing really making him a PL 9. He's kinda-sorta like a Gargoyle with a Blast, and is a bit light on Feats because of the cost involved (and he wasn't really shown doing a whole lot of neat stuff aside from leading & blasting away anyhow). He's also a phenomenal pilot, but doesn't really use that now that he can fly on his own, and is a giant kitty.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Interesting thought But as I recall the mutates could actually fly not just glide. the mix of Electric Eel DNA wasn't just for the blasts-- an interesting side effect-- but because Flight used a lot of energy the Eel DNA allowed the mutates to generate that energy and thus they didn't need to glide they could actually fly for relatively long distances and even take off from ground level.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Minor correction, but the Mutates didn't have tails.

It also makes me wonder, could Sevarius have just given people electric eel powers without the cat and bat DNA? The latter is what apparently caused the major physical changes, was it possible Sevarius could have created a bunch of Cole MacGraths if he'd wanted?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Actually they did have tails at the start but lost them later on for some reason. I think Maggie was the only one to retain her tail at all if I recall correctly
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Re: Dingo

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:58 am Image

DINGO (Harry Montmouth)
Played By:
Jim Cummings
Role: The Honourable Bad Guy
PL 9 (142)
STRENGTH
4/7 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+9, +12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Action Star) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment (Stuff in Suit), Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blast), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Dingo Power Armour" (Feats: Remote Controlled 2) (Flaws: Removable) [42]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 7) (12)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
Blast 8 (Feats: Split Attack) (17)
Senses 2 (Extended & Infravision) (2)
Immunity 5 (Drowning, Suffocation, Cold, Heat, Pressure) (5)
Reduced Dodge & Parry 2 (-4)
-- (50 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Armour +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Blaster +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+7 Suit, DC 17-19), Parry +9 (+7 Suit, DC 17-19), Toughness +4 (+9 Armour), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Honour (Believes in Law & Order)
Responsibility (Must Atone)- Dingo authentically feels bad at what he did in his past, and disgust for what his Pack teammates did to their own bodies. He feels as if he doesn't belong in "this freakshow" by the end, and goes off on his own.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 9 (140)

-Dingo was a nice little character, actually. While most of The Pack were one-note angry mercenaries, he was portrayed as the most level-headed and 'normal' of the bunch, an Australian guy who still preferred just being a Merc, and hated the Pack's descent into common crime. He ESPECIALLY despised the way Wolf, Hyena & Jackal all mutilated their bodies in a grotesque manner, just to be able to combat the Gargoyles one-on-one. Dingo just went for the simple approach- Power Armour. Eventually, he split with The Pack entirely, and was developed farther in a nice Outback-based episode, where he tried to atone for his past misdeeds, and aided the World Tour Gang in stopping a computer intelligence from destroying Australia (and possibly the world), developing into a hero of his own. I kinda get a kick out of recognizing Jim Cummings' voice with Dingo, seeing as how he's been in every Disney project basically EVER (including being the singing voice for Scar & Rasputin during their respective Animated Epics' "Villain Songs".

-Dingo in his Power Armour is a pretty effective PL 8 kind of guy, having more interpersonal skills than his psychotic teammates, being quite strong, and being equally good in Melee & Ranged Combat. Oddly, he has very few Advantages, mainly because he had no real "specialty" in combat: Hyena was fast, Jackal was fast, and Wolf was big and strong. Dingo was kind of a bit of everything, so he can't manipulate his caps like the others can (aside from Power Attack. His Power Armour is a pretty weak version compared to others I've built, but then- this is the Gargoyle Universe, where a gang of guys with guns might actually be a threat to someone. It does the job, in any case, and lowers his defenses enough that he doesn't break PL 8 caps in it.

-With the boost from Matrix (a sentient nanotech colony), Dingo gains even more power, effectively duplicating his suit with some additional powers (Extra Limbs 2 in one instance), but we didn't see the most of it's capabilities. Matrix himself could basically use Weaken Toughness on a Continent-Wide Scale, so I don't know what Dingo was capable of with the boost.

DINGO (Harry Montmouth)
Played By:
Jim Cummings
Role: The Honourable Bad Guy
PL 7 (142)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+9, +12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Action Star) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 4, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blast), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Equipment:
"Pack Gear"
"Flash Boomerang" Visual Dazzle 6 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet 3) (Diminished Range -1) (15) -- (18)
  • AE: "Boomerangs" Blast 4 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet 3) (Diminished Range -1) (11)
  • AE: "Guns" Blast 6 (12)
  • AE: "Knock-Out Gas" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (14)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Armour +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Boomerang +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Dazzle +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Knock-Out Gas +6 Area (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Guns +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Action)- Dingo feels that being an action star has left him flabby and out-of-shape. He hunts Gargoyles to get some of the old excitement back.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 9 (140)

-Human Dingo just threw some Boomerangs (one of which was a dazzle), and seemed to be stronger than the rest of the Pack (save the Powerhouse Wolf).
My personal fav among The Pack and one of my top 4 favorite humans of the series(my other three being Xanatos,Macbeth and Elsia),who i always thought had a nice looking Power Armour
Jabroniville

Fang

Post by Jabroniville »

FANG (Fred Sykes)
Played By:
Jim Belushi
Role: The Jerk-Ass, The Traitor
PL 8 (123)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Expertise (Streetwise) 6 (+6)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Daze (Deception), Improved Critical (Blast), Ranged Attack 4, Taunt

Powers:
"Mutate Physiology"
"Cougar's Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]

"Cougar's Claws"

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed, Power)- Fang is a prick.
Prejudice (Monster)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 12 (123)

-Fang was the heel of the Labyrinth Clan; another mutate who was rather a bit of a prick. He took over the Clan once and got up to all sorts of nonsense, usually using Claw and a couple of human goons as his minions. Pretty much acted like Jackal & Hyena otherwise- cackling and degrading, and using physical aggression to pick on those beneath him. Not too original a villain, and he didn't get much play. And yes, he's played by the infamous lead of According to Jim.

-He's basically Talon minus a bunch of stuff, making him a balanced PL 8 (120) character. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Claw

Post by Jabroniville »

CLAW
Played By:
None
Role: The Silent Muscle
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 10 (+8)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+2)
Perception 4 (+3)
Ranged Attack (Blasts) 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Diehard, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Mutate Physiology"
"Tiger's Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]

"Tiger's Claws"
"Striped Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+6) (Flaws: Limited to Jungles or Tall Grass) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Blast +7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)
Disabled (Mute)- Claw cannot speak.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 11 (107)

-Claw was a mute, rather foolish Mutate, usually going along with whoever showed the most charisma or leadership at any given time. He was a big-time powerhouse, and was eventually revealed to be good-hearted after all, but there obviously wasn't much you could do with the character. He did get a much cooler appearance in the "Future Tense" episode, which showed "future versions" of much of the cast (actually an illusion of Puck's).

-Claw is a monster powerhouse, rivalling Goliath & Thailog in terms of sheer strength, and having nearly all of his combat Advantages being based around how tough & strong he is. He loses points big-time for being relatively dumb and Mute, but makes up for it with his physical resilience and grappling power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hm, so the Mutates could fly completely, and only sometimes had tails? Weird. I guess they never used their tails FOR stuff, so they wouldn't get the Extra Limb anyways.
Jabroniville

Maggie Reed

Post by Jabroniville »

"My name is MAGGIE... Maggie Reed. I'm from Ohio!"
-Greg Weisman loved this statement, feeling it defined the character SO MUCH with just a simple phrase. And he's right- it tells you everything you need to know.

MAGGIE REED
Played By:
Kath Soucie
Role: The Wallflower, The Outcast
PL 6 (81)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Sewer Dweller) 2 (+2)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutate Physiology"
"Cat's Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]

"Cat's Claws"

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blast +4 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)
Responsibility (Wallflower)- Maggie is shy and easily-upset, and wants to be normal. "My name is Maggie-- I'm from OHIO!"
Relationship (Talon)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 6 (81)

-Maggie was honestly pretty annoying. She whined, had a weird nasal voice, and was afraid of everything. Really not my thing, and I'm not sure if they were trying to appeal to the hyper-protective kind of guys out there (like Brooklyn was- her main role was to make him get all lovey-dovey), though Weisman says their intention was to make her the only woman in the show who WASN'T a "Strong Woman" archetype- they felt they were almost being reverse-sexist or something. She hated being a "monster", but ended up hooking up with Talon (disappointing Brooklyn). The lowest-level Mutate, she's altogether not much good in a fight (she pretty much just ran out of cowardice alot), so she isn't balanced like the others are. I'm not even sure that she should THIS good.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Her Brother's Keeper: Elisa's brother Derek debuts, and he quits the force to work for Xanatos- Elisa correctly figures he's screwing with her and has dark plans, but isn't willing to divulge the whole truth to Derek until it's too late. The best moment is when Elisa barges into a police men's changeroom to harass Derek over it, coming across as over-protective and shrill, while all these embarassed guys run around in their towels and underwear to hide. They mess around with a helicopter (the crew were supposed to make Vehicle-based toys for the series), but really, if you had wings and were dependent upon proper wind and drafts, would you go anywhere NEAR a helicopter? The whole thing revolves around Jackal & Hyena, who are still free after their debut episode. It's also revealed that Xanatos is behind The Pack concept, which is a secret to most everyone but Fox. Brooklyn gets pinned down by a BIG chunk of tree, and it takes Broadway to pull it off of him. Broadway also one-punches the increasingly-jobbery Jackal with ease.

The Second Season DVD set has some opening pre-ambles with Greg Weisman on each episode. He states that the goal here was to expand the show's world, and enhance many of it's original villains from the first 12 episodes.

Leader of the Pack: The Pack gets it's new member- Coyote (who appears to be Xanatos), who promptly shows one of the biggest Strength Feats in the show's history by grabbing a giant steel gate, bending it with his hands, then just TEARING IT OFF and throwing it onto some guards. Brooklyn gets some great lines "C'mon, Bronx. No sense staying up here where it's SAFE." Hyena is able to hold Lex in a sleeper-hold, but the boys are still stronger- Lex KOs Wolf with a big wind-up punch. There's some great animation in this one (though Dingo's facial hair vanishes in one shot). Hudson is surprisingly able to own Dingo, Hyena & Jackal simultaneously (a far cry from his showing against Owen).

Metamorphosis: Derek gets transformed into Talon. It was nice to see Xanatos TOTALLY faking guilt and an anti-Sevarius stance, upon "discovering" how dirty his colleague is. All in all, one of the douchiest things Xanatos has ever done was forcibly turn four people into Cat/Bat/Eels (and only ONE of them LIKED it).
Jabroniville

Matt Bluestone

Post by Jabroniville »

DETECTIVE MATT BLUESTONE
Played By:
Tom Wilson
Role: The Partner, Conspiracy Nut
PL 5 (67)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 7 (+7)
Expertise (Police Detective) 5 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Technology 1 (+4)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (Member of the Illuminati), Equipment 4 (Police Issue Firearm +5, Car), Improved Aim

Equipment:
"Pistol" Blast 5 (10)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Pistol +5 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (NYPD)
Obsession (Taking Down the Illuminati)- Matt has been reading about the Illuminati for years, and is obsessed with discovering the truth about them. He doesn't even realize how close he is- they kept tabs on him with his old FBI partner, and he even became a member after impressing them.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (67)

-I always liked Matt. He was a 'normal' guy, rather than a super-cop, and was never depicted as anything other than a very good detective who could maybe hold his own in a fight. Thus, the writers avoided the usual scenario of making Elisa's partner an incompetent, barely-literate whiny douchebag who always whined after his superior partner. Think of Vernon from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and how he was the butt-monkey compared to April O'Neil.

-Matt's whole search for The Illuminati was initially played for laughs- his claims that "even the PRESIDENT works for them!" to his brand-new partner Elisa made him come off as a real cook. And then it turned out that he was RIGHT! And he eventually found his own way into the Illuminati through simple DETECTIVE WORK! Actually, I think Gargoyles may have the best take on the Illuminate/Freemasons/Whatever in fiction, simply because they're STILL mysterious- we never really get anything other than the "entry point" to the organization, as we see an old mobster, Xanatos, a knight in medieval England, and Matt's old FBI partner (in a great twist ending!), and that's it. Matt merely gets in the front door, but he's nowhere close to who's in charge, and the series never dwelled on it overly-much. Hell, even XANATOS was a mere minor Illuminatus.

-Matt is a solid PL 5. He's good, but not great, at many things, and could hold his own temporarily in combat against most Minion-types, but any really important character would make short work of him. He's like Elisa minus points in pretty much everything.