Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Labyrinth Clan! Bluestone! Angela! Avalon!)

Post by catsi563 »

Actually the interesting thing to me about Preston is he wasn't THAT corrupt persay. while he certainly did several things that were corrupt he actually was able to justify them on several occasions.

His loyalty to Reynard was one of his best qualities even when he was the one who betrayed him such as when he came back to help Reynard land the carrier instead of leaving him to his doom. Even sticking with him through his illness and brief transformation into the Golem.

Preston always struck me as one of those people who thought that it was their job to take on the ""Dirty work"" so that people like Reynard--whom he is shown to admire very much--could carry on being the Good and Upright people that they are. His under handed deals and such are made in a sort of plausible deniability way so Halcyon Reynard --one of the most honorable and upright people--can remain truly hands clean.

Preston's shown several times to be nearly as Honorable in his own way as Reynard when called on his deals he admits them readily doesn't disseminate or try to blame others. He even tries to protect Reynard on several occasions.

Its actually a very interesting way the two characters play off each other.

Also Halcyon Reynard, Light or golden Fox ;)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Labyrinth Clan! Bluestone! Angela! Avalon!)

Post by Spectrum »

Great stuff. I have fond memories watching it with strangers that became friends at college.

It's been too long since I last watched it- trying to remember who all is part of the big reveal.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Xanatos

Post by Jabroniville »

Owen: "Gathering crews may prove difficult- this castle has a bad reputation. The locals consider it haunted."
Xanatos: "You know the answer to that, Owen- Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into HELL."

DAVID XANATOS
Played By:
Johnathan Frakes
Role: The Trickster, The Manipulator, The Chessmaster, The Big Bad, The Magnificent Bastard, The Rich Asshole
PL 10 (236)
STRENGTH
2/6 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 3 (+5, +9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 10 (+15)
Expertise (Business) 10 (+18)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+16)
Expertise (History) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 1 (+9)
Insight 6 (+11)
Investigation 2 (+7)
Perception 3 (+8)
Persuasion 9 (+14)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 9 (+17)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Benefit 7 (Wealth, Status- Illuminati Member), Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Equipment 20 (Eyrie Building, Anything He Needs), Evasion, Fascination (Deception), Improved Disarm, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages (Probably a Couple), Luck 3, Ranged Attack 6, Second Chance (Plans Being Foiled), Skill Mastery 2 (Business, Deception), Taunt, Ultimate Skills 3 (Business, Deception, Technology), Well-Informed

Powers:
"Sweet-Ass Red & Black Steel Clan Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [50]
"Gargoyle Strength" Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
"Steel Armour" Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 7) (11)
"Hitting Power" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
"Rocket Jetpack" Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Mechanical Sensors" Senses 3 (Extended Sight & Hearing, Infravision) (3)
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 (1)
"Nice Interior" Immunity 5 (Drowning, Suffocation, Pressure, Heat, Cold) (5)
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) (1)

"Arm Laser" Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate) (17) -- (18)
  • AE: "Piercing Claws" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) (3)
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) (2)
-- (62 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Armour +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Laser +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+8 Armour), Fortitude +5, Will +9

Complications:
Obsession (More Power, Wealth & Immortality)- Xanatos wants all that life has to offer, and as much lift as possible.
Relationship (Fox & Alexander)- Love and bonding actually suits Xanatos well, and humanizes him. However, he often sees it as a weakness.
Secret (Illuminatus)- Xanatos is a member of the Illuminati, an ancient organization who seek to rule the world.
Secret (Manipulator)- Xanatos is responsible for a great many illegal acts, and has to keep them out of the press. Publicity from his arrest was bad enough.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 74--37 / Advantages: 52 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 13 (236)

David and Goliath:
-Gargoyle's couldn't have done better for a big villain than by creating David (I COMPLETELY MISSED the analogy between "David & Goliath" growing up) Xanatos. Revealed almost instantly as a smirky liar who would bring a legion of Gargoyles back from the dead just to turn them into his agents, then casually discarding them when they proved uncontrollable, he was nothing but a master manipulator and greedy-to-the-max type that you either wanted to see brought down a peg.

-And yet, it was actually just as fun to watch him win AGAIN AND AGAIN, because he was mostly untouchable and couldn't be permanently defeated- he made sure that every one of his plans could have a side-effect that benefitted him in some way- even the things that didn't work out also hampered his enemies, or left him sitting pretty. He wasn't pure 100% unbeatable, though- he had to "lower" himself to asking the Gargoyles for help against Fox once he realized he had a "weakness" (ie. LOVE), and Demona got the better of him at least once (plus, y'know, he created Thailog, who was more evil than he was by far). And Greg Weisman admits that some of his "I actually won in the end" bits could just be B.S. and him looking on the bright side of things instead of admitting failure.

-Xanatos was an EPIC snarker, too. The guy watches all of Manhattan freeze in stone, INCLUDING HIS FIANCEE, and he not only cracks a joke (*annoyed* "at least she's not CHIPPED"), but starts snarking to himself, while walking down an empty street. NOBODY CAN HEAR HIM and he's cracking wise! There's other great bits of comedy, like the creation of Coldstone ("It's Alive!!! ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!... I've ALWAYS wanted to do that."), or when tying someone up for his deathtrap ("It's my first real attempt at CLICHED villainy- tell me, how am I doing?"). Xanatos was hilarious and clever, and it made watching the show a hell of a lot of fun- he shouldn't WIN, but you just had to root for him all the same.

Xanatos The Awesome:
-But there were LAYERS to this guy- he loved power, but was terrified of the power aging & death had over him (his bluffing to Hudson aside- it was clear he couldn't stand the idea of growing old and dying); he feared he was losing his "edge", so he developed power armor to fight Goliath one on one; he was amoral, but had no concept of revenge (it's "a sucker's game", to him), and never actively sought out the Gargoyles to kill them; he created Thailog to be the ultimate adversary to Goliath, but ended up fearing his own creation; he thought himself untouchable, but was horrified to discover Oberon could walk through his defenses like nothing. In the end, out of gratitude for the Gargoyles saving his son, he allowed them to live at the castle again, essentially becoming a Trickster Good-Guy type.

-Plus he had that BAD-ASS black & red Gargoyle Armour. That was the coolest visual just about ever for a super-villain. And no super-villain base has EVER been as beautifully-rendered as the Eyrie Building in New York. A MEDIEVAL CASTLE on top of a SKYSCRAPER? That sits ABOVE THE CLOUDS? You WISH you had a base as cool for your villains! The only way he could've had more style is with a shark tank in his office. But he makes up for that with a freakin' army of metal Gargoyles at his beck and call.

The Skills of Xanatos:
-Xanatos is Big Bad personified on a more humanesque-scale. He lacks the sheer muscle of Dr. Doom, Magneto, etc., being a mere PL 9 in combat (he could only go one-on-one with Goliath BARELY, and certainly not the entire Clan without help). BUT he maxes out on Skills & Feats by a crazy amount. He has virtually anything one could ever need at his fingertips (Equipment), a big group of Robots at his beck and call (Minions), enough skills to basically accomplish or build anything, a few Combat Feats just in case he needs them, a suit of Power Armour to match the big-boys, and a few Ultimate Feats to get across the idea that he's untouchable in the areas of Business, Planning & Bullshitting. His only flaw is the occasional shortsightedness (his many dabblings in magic), so his Wisdom is 'only' at 5.

-So it's unsurprising that he goes WAY over points-cost, as any Big Bad truly should. The Clan can whup him in combat if necessary, but he's always got a plan just in case. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bluestone! Angela! Avalon! David Xanatos!)

Post by Spectrum »

Tell me if this needs to go into another thread but I've been wondering about this for a while.. can a Xantos gambit character be written into an RPG? What about as a PC? I think that at the least you would need to have a great GM to allow a player the room to pull something like that off.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 pm Tell me if this needs to go into another thread but I've been wondering about this for a while.. can a Xantos gambit character be written into an RPG? What about as a PC? I think that at the least you would need to have a great GM to allow a player the room to pull something like that off.
In the first edition of Legend of 5 Rings there was a great example of Xanathos Gambit done in RPG format: the trick is allowing the character to fulfill the letter of their mission and then screw them over some other way.
Let's say that our heroes must deliver the fable jade egg to the head of Lion Clan. After miles upon miles of travel, fending off bandits, wild animals and agents from a the Scorpion clan they manage to fulfill their mission. The Lord of the Lions thanks them and provide a suitable recompense. Everyone is happy and the characters are on their merry way. Just a week later the Lord of Scorpions pays a visit to his peer and delivers a sumptuous gift, which happens to be exactly the same value of the Egg. Due to the rules of etiquette the Lion must repay the gift or lose his reputation ...
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

You know whats interesting? I CANNOT bring myself to name Xanatos the Villain in the stories or apply the Villain label to him. Was he an Antagonist? Almost certainly given the literary definition of the word,
an·tag·o·nist
[anˈtaɡənəst]

NOUN
a person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; an adversary:
See that's Xanatos he did oppose the clan and always for his own ends and gain but he was never out right an enemy to them in the ways one might define a villain such as The Archmage.

The Archmage was a clear Villain, so was Thailog, the Hunters, Most of the Pack, and Even Demona for most of the series. A villain is described most times as someone who is ""Evil"" Xanatos at worst was selfish, maybe even amoral, but he never truly sank into what id describe as outright villainy, he had opportunities to almost certainly, and he did profit from others misfortune again certainly but he lets the heroes go almost constantly never actively pursues them, even backs down or off in cases when he has the clear upperhand.

His whole revenge is a suckers game to me says it best,hes not in this for villainies sake hes in this because its a game. A game that requires him to be the BEST, and to win. Revenge? suckers bet distracts from the big game, greed? its for losers he plays for higher stakes then mere money--otherwise he wouldnt have spent the money to mvoe a FREAKING CASTLE piece by piece and rebuild it on the top of a sky scraper on the OFF chance that a couple hundred year old story MIGHT be true.

His relationship with Fox is the same hes clearly in love with her willing to sacrafice it all in the process but tha doesnt mean he gives the game up as the two of themshow when they play chess against each other when Fox tries to take her fathers company and he opposes her, with her using the gargoyles as pawns.

Its an interesting work of characterization that makes you wonder just how much of his personality is genuine and how much is part of the Role. Hell he strikes me as the worlds biggest Dungeon Master writing a story of his own choosing and using people to play roles in it.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, it says a lot about Xanatos that his true evil is hard to pin down. Certainly the hell he made of Derek's life. And of course the one time he took his "first stab at cliched villainy- tell me, how am I doing?" or the idea that he would sacrifice Hudson's life to gain immortality.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Xanatos was just so much fun because he had so many layers to him.
Amoral was fine.
Revenge? Waste of effort.
He could respect his opponents enough to give them the victory if he thought they earned it.
He valued the truth over his own ego.
In spite of his apparent aversion to the flaws of most super villains he loves hamming it up and acting the part.
And, in what seems counter intuitive to the character, he valued loyalty over immortality.

He was just fun to watch, and in spite of being evil he was always a redeemable character. Nothing he did was ever so terrible that it couldn't be forgiven.
Jabroniville

The Steel Clan

Post by Jabroniville »

THE STEEL CLAN
Played By:
None
Role: Awesome Mooks, Fragile Robots
PL 6 (81)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Intimidation 1 (+7)
Perception 3 (+1)

Advantages:
Benefit (Uses Strength Instead of Presence For Intimidation), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Robots" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Steel Armour" Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 7) [13]
"Rocket Jetpack" Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
"Mechanical Sensors" Senses 3 (Extended Sight & Hearing, Infravision) [3]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Arm Laser" Blast 6 (12) -- [14]
  • AE: "Electro-Shock" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Grab-Based, Unreliable- 5 Uses) (12)
  • AE: "Piercing Claws" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) (3)
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Lasers +5 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will -2

Complications:
Weakness (Flying Towards Each Other)- Despite being good fliers, The Steel Clan will, 100% of the time, fly straight into each other if aimed that way by a Gargoyle.

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 76 / Defenses: 3 (81)

-The Steel Clan were very early in the Gargoyles run, as Xanatos quickly tires of his pet Gargoyle minions once they prove too uncontrollable, and so he builds "superior", loyal versions that can work in daylight and aren't reliant on the winds and crap. And of course they suck balls, losing unbelievably quickly to the Manhattan Clan repeatedly. How many villains can just be fooled into flying into each other and thus exploding? Oh well, it was a decent try, and they looked remarkably bad-ass. I can't even think of a single other Mook in all of fiction that looks even half as cool.

-Steel Clan Robots are actually pretty good as far as Minions go, being PL 6 powerhouse blasters, though their accuracy & defense scores are so low that they end up getting hit more often than not, and their accuracy is terrible. A later generation picks up an Electrical Aura (6-7 ranks) that is likely Unreliable or something (or else they'd just be doing it all the time- I assume they have a limited power supply), in addition to requiring a Grab (they often do it in reaction to a Grapple, or while grappling). It fits right into the "Laser" array, adding one point overall.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

God! I love that Red Armor and the Steel Clan robots. Such good bad guys.
Jabroniville

Owen

Post by Jabroniville »

OWEN BURNETT (aka Puck)
Played By:
Jeff Bennett (Owen), Brent Spiner (Puck)
Role: The Right-Hand Man, Mr. Stoic
PL 7 (114)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 12 (+12)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 12 (+16)
Expertise (Business) 3 (+7)
Expertise (History) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 6 (+12)
Insight 4 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 4 (+8)
Treatment 3 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Arcane Lore

Powers:
"Stone Fist" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stone Fist +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Ultimate Loyalty to David Xanatos)- Owen has pledged a "lifetime of service" to Xanatos.
Secret (Puck)- Owen is actually Puck, having taken human form to play the unusual role of "straight man".
Honor (Cannot Turn to Puck)- The only times Puck is allowed to appear are when he is training young Alexander Xanatos in magic. Otherwise, he is permanently Owen.
Disabled (One Hand)- Owen only has one useful hand- the other is permanently balled-up into a fist.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 13 (114)

-When discussing Gargoyles and it's multitude of introduced-later backstories, you just HAVE to mention this guy. Seemingly just a dull yes-man to Xanatos, Owen was perfectly competent and totally loyal, but seemed to have no hopes, dreams or personality of his own beyond loyalty to his boss. It wasn't until later we learned why- he was PUCK in disguise! Puck had been previously-introduced as an enslaved trickster who had caused the occasional bit of mayhem (Demona once summoned him and forced him to switch the Gargoyles for humans, and vice-versa).

-A trickster, Puck was mischievous by nature, but was fascinated by the stoic black-haired assistant of Halcyon Renard, and so copied his character down completely, creating a blonde-haired duplicate with an identical personality. Admiring fellow trickster David Xanatos, he gave Xanatos an option- a lifetime of service from "Owen Burnett", or a single wish from the Godlike, powerful Puck. To his surprise (and delight!), Xanatos chose Owen, correctly guessing that good help was more valuable than a single wish. And so we have the longest backstory for a Villain's #2 guy ever.

-This explained a LOT of stuff in the Gargoyles backstory. Why Demona told a captive Puck "You serve the HUMAN, and now you serve ME!". Why Owen seemed to know a lot about magic. Why Owen got his hand turned into solid stone (thanks to an immortality spell with a catch), and not only didn't seem to care about it at all, but Xanatos was merely cheery and "oh well" about it! And, of course, why the hell Renard's assistant was basically just Owen's design but with black hair.

-Owen/Puck wasn't finally revealed until the near end of the series, as Oberon himself breaks into Xanatos's headquarters to capture the infant Alexander- Puck shows himself and actually betrays his boss, proving the ultimate loyalty to Xanatos! In the very end, Puck is able to broker a deal- since Fox was able to manifest a degree of magic, despite being human her entire life, ALEXANDER was thus able to be trained- Puck was pusished by the Godlike entity, however, and was given a Silver Surfer-like sentence: he could only take his "Puck" form when training Alexander, and was otherwise completely powerless.

-Owen's no match for any of the Gargoyles, but he's an epically-competent assistant-type, and no slouch in combat, either (he once beat Xanatos at Judo, but it was a one-time thing). The Stone Fist ("gained" when he tested out a spell of Immortality for his boss- Owen is REALLY loyal, and was a calm, willing guinea pig when Hudson escaped the testing stage) is a help in a fight as well, and he has access to most of Puck's knowledge of magic as well (but NOT his powers- he's completely limited to this form). With Puck's powers, he gains a freakish amount of Variable- enough to use a Magic Mirror to change THE ENTIRETY OF MANHATTAN into Gargoyles, which is about 13 Area Ranks (30 mile Burst) of Transform. The only caveat seems to be that it tires him out to do this several times. He can even permanently transform Demona so that she no longer turns to stone at night.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Edge: One of the finest Xanatos moments, when Owen beats him in martial arts practice- "Would you rather I pretend to lose?" "I'd FIRE you if you did!" He debuts the most bad-ass suit of armour in history, while Matt Bluestone gets his first speaking role as Elisa's new (and inconvenient) partner- I liked how Matt was competent and quirky instead of just being annoying and terrible at his job, like how most shows would do it. A pretty strong moment for Broadway, as he takes on the "Upgraded" Steel Clan (with their new "Wrecking Crew Power-Up") and takes out BOTH robots by himself. Their low-key Aura Attacks are on display here, as they only mildly hurt Brooklyn & Lexington, and only seem to be used when someone grabs them. It still kinda bothers me that Broadway let one explode RIGHT into the Statue of Liberty's "Book", but I guess destruction of public monuments is par for the superhero course.

Long Way To Morning: A great one featuring Hudson being hunted by Demona throughout the night, while Goliath grows steadily weaker from her poison. Some weak animation in this one, though David Warner is great as the would-be one-shot villain The Archmage (so much so that he gets a whole arc based around him later). The past story is pretty interesting, with Young Demona proving to pretty much have the "bitch" in her already, as she's trying to turf the aging Hudson out of leadership. The Archmage goes down HILARIOUSLY quickly after Hudson & Demona eat his Magic Blasts. Modern Day Hudson gets a GREAT feat, doing a mid-air spinning somersault while simultaneously deflecting the MUCH more dangerous Demona's laser blasts FOUR TIMES. He chops an angel tombstone in half (quite impossible for a sword to cleave stone, but hey, it's Gargoyle-driven and it looks cool, so why not?).
Jabroniville

Coldstone

Post by Jabroniville »

COLDSTONE
Played By:
Michael Dorn
Role: Frankenstein's Monster
PL 10 (174)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Warrior) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 8 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Blast) 2 (+11)
Technology 6 (+7)

Advantages: 
Equipment (Built-In Gadgets), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Blast), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9

Powers:
"Piercing Claws" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

"Cold Stone Brought to Life"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 7) [15]
"Datalink" Communication 2 (Computers) [8]
Senses 2 (Infravision, Extended Hearing) [2]
"Self-Repairs" Regeneration 4 [4]

"Arm Laser" Blast 8 (16) -- [17]
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Blast +11 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications: 
Vulnerable (Electrical & Magnetic Attacks)
Involuntary Transformation (Three Personalities)- One of which is a sinister, vindictive being. It is for this reason that Coldstone avoids the rest of the Clan.
Prejudice (Monster)- Even by the standards of the other Gargoyles. Coldstone considers himself a freak, too.
Relationship (Coldfire)- Coldstone has loved his rookery sister for years, and her personality was eventually transferred from the Coldstone cyborg to a robotic body.
Enemy (Coldsteel)- The vicious part of Coldstone's persona comes from an old enemy, which was later transferred into it's own mechanical body.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 92 / Defenses: 14 (174)

-Coldstone was another early Gargoyles villain- as the Manhattan's Clan's "only Gargoyles left ever" thing gets a little bit weaker. But still mostly intact (this is pre-"Oh, there's dozens of them, all over the world"), because the pieces of three Gargoyles' stone corpses were animated together with cybernetics to create a Frankenstien's Monster-type of Gargoyle, a super-strong mechanical nightmare with a laser weapon. He turned out to be good after all, and merely easy to control, but that didn't stop him from opposing the Clan half-a-dozen times anyways (taken over by computer programs, controlled by the evil Gargoyle inside his mind, etc.). In the end, he finally gets some peace (like many other Gargoyle villains), as he & his love (called "Desdemona", along with the other Shakespearean-themed "Othello" for Coldstone & "Iago" for his enemy) get their own bodies, and are able to live alright that way.

-One of the annoying things about Coldstone were the never-ending attempts to ensure that he never fully-joined The Manhattan Clan- he was always either thought-dead, inert, missing or gone travelling, all so that we didn't have an extra Gargoyle around.

-Yes, Coldstone is fully a construct. I didn't realize this at first in my build, but the GargWiki (a pretty big help in doing these builds- but notably lacks a "powers" section) points out that the "grey" parts of his body are actually STONE, and not the skin of the original Gargoyle "Othello". The animators kind of screwed up by designing him to be the same colour as their Stone Skin- but yes, Coldstone is really made up of the dead Stone of three Gargoyles, mixed with cyborg stuff. In addition to his Construct nature, he can heal himself from damage over time, has an Arm-Cannon like ALL the tech-guys in this show do (seriously, ALL OF THEM), he has most of the other Gargoyle powers on top of non-Winged Flight. He's a PL 9 who goes well over-cost, as he has enough tricks under his sleeve to keep the entire Manhattan Clan occupied for a good amount of time. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

If he's all stone, how does he have hair? Maybe that's just a fright wig stapled to his skull.
Jabroniville

Coldfire

Post by Jabroniville »

COLDFIRE
Played By:
C.C.H. Pounder
Role: Stoic Girlfriend
PL 8 (157)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Warrior) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Blast) 2 (+10)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
Close Attack, Equipment (Built-In Gadgets), Improved Critical (Blast), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Piercing Claws" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

"Garg-Bot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 (Extras: Impervious 7) [14]
"Datalink" Communication 2 (Computers) [8]
Senses 2 (Infravision, Extended Hearing) [2]
"Self-Repairs" Regeneration 4 [4]

"Fire From Palms" Blast 8 (Feats: Split) (17) -- [18]
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications: 
Vulnerable (Electrical & Magnetic Attacks)
Prejudice (Monster)
Relationship (Coldstone)- Coldfire has loved her rookery brother for years, and her personality was eventually transferred from the Coldstone cyborg to a robotic body.
Enemy (Coldsteel)- An old enemy, who once fell in love with Coldfire in a past life.
Power Loss (Water)- Coldfire cannot use her Fire Blasts, nor do much at all, while underwater. It appears to be her weakness.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 92 / Defenses: 9 (157)

-Coldfire was a pretty stoic type, often calmly lecturing Coldstone on what they should be doing from within the Cyborg's robo-brain. And she's voiced by Claudette from The Shield (and Amanda Waller from JLU), who is playing something OTHER than a hard-nosed, tough black woman for once. Her original persona (usually called Desdemona, from Greg Weisman's own notes, since he wanted to show the "Othello" triad as Gargoyles) actually featured a pretty interesting horn-crest. Their biological son would come to be known as Gabriel of the Avalon Clan.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.