Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Proteus

Post by Jabroniville »

PROTEUS
Played By:
Roddy MacDowell
Role: The Shapeshifter, The Chaotic Villain
PL 10 (217)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 7 (+10)
Expertise (History) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+8)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Daze (Deception), Fascination (Deception), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Master Shapeshifter" Shapeshift 12 [96]
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Shapeshifting +10 (+2-10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5 (Variable), Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Chaos)- Proteus is a sh*t-disturber, plain and simple. He wants to bust out of New Olympus, flee into the Human World, and cause mayhem.
Enemy (Taurus)- Proteus killed the previous Captain, and now hates his son as well. Taurus, in turn, is devoted to Proteus' capture.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 116 / Defenses: 12 (217)

-Proteus is a one-shot villain who's a vicious murderer- his episode featured "New Olympus", an enclave of mythological creatures (Minotaurs and stuff) that were hidden away from human eyes. They mistrusted Elisa completely, but welcomed Goliath, a switch from the usual thing. It was part of Weisman & Co.'s whole "World-Building" that established the nature of the magical world (it would have also led to yet another of the Future Gargoyles Series- one featuring a young boy and a sexy female Sphinx girl). Proteus is a hyper-powerful Shapeshifter who could handle Goliath by himself, but lost against a larger group (including Taurus)- he's a PL 10 guy who's VERY pricey, given the nature of his abilities (he turned into a Giant Cyclops at one point).
Jabroniville

Vinnie

Post by Jabroniville »

VINNIE GRIGORI
Played By:
Jeff Bennett
Role: Recurring Mook
PL 4 (26)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Security Guard) 1 (+1)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment (Mister Carter), Ranged Attack 2

Equipment:
"Mister Carter- Pie Cannon" Dazzle Visuals 5 (Flaws: Unreliable- Limited Uses) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mr. Carter +4 (+3 Ranged Affliction, DC 13)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Money)- Vinnie's just a regular guy, looking for an honest day's work.
Obsession (The Gargoyles)- Vinnie has been burned by the Gargoyles several times, and is now obsessed with creepy revenge.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (26)

-Vinnie is a funny side-character, introduced because Jeff Bennett voiced a Mook in a pastiche of John Travolta's "Vinnie Babarino" character. He got used a few more times, usually as a background character while the Gargoyles did something (Demona beat up him aboard "Fortress One" in the early episodes, then he lost his bike to Lexington, then missed Sevarius getting kidnapped by Goliath), and he always ended up losing his job over it. Vengeful and insane (talking to his weapon), he finally bought a MASSIVE carriable cannon with which to hunt down one of the winged monsters. Finally, he had Goliath in his sights, with no way out. As a worried Goliath looking on, Vinnie fired... and launched a pie directly into Goliath's face. "We're even" he says. Vinnie rules.
MacynSnow

Re: Macbeth

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:32 pm Image

MACBETH (Mac Bethad mac Findlaec)
Played By:
Johnathan Rhys-Davies
Role: The Tired Old Man, Honorable Bad Guy, Tragic Figure
PL 10 (217)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+15)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (History) 10 (+15)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+13)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 7 (+12)
Vehicles 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 5 (Wealth), Diehard, Equipment 20 (Castle Base, Defense Systems, Lightning Gun, Swords, etc.), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 3 (Unarmed, Sword, Lightning Gun), Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Inspire, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Probably a Few), Last Stand, Leadership, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Pact With Demona"
Immortality 14 (4 minutes) [28]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Equipment:
"Body Armour" Protection +2 (2)
"Lightning Gun" Blast 8 (16) -- (18)
  • AE: "Stun Setting" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (16)
  • AE: "Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 5) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword +13 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Lightning Gun +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Stun Setting +12 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5 (+7 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility ("Tired")- Macbeth has been alive for centuries, and has grown tired and miserable from the boredom, strain and effort. He hunts Demona in part to end his own existence.
Responsibility (Honor)- Macbeth knows how far he has fallen in life, and dislikes it in a way. He has more honor than most villains, choosing to not attack the Gargoyles in their Stone Sleep, letting them leave his castle freely after discovering that Merlin's Scrolls are useless to him, and more. It is this good quality that leads him to find love once again (though next time, he'll get a good look at her at night), then turn to the side of the angels after helping out King Arthur.
Power Loss (Pact)- If One Lives... Both Shall Live. However, if Demona is the one who slays Macbeth, he will stay dead (and he will have his revenge). Due to their pact, Macbeth will be afflicted with whichever conditions Demona is (it is unknown as to how far this reaches, though Weisman has suggested that distance weakens the effect, as he was irked when the writers had it happen when they were in separate rooms).
Enemy (Demona)- Demona betrayed him centuries ago after assuming the worst about his plans- this led to the destruction of Macbeth's kingdom, and the death of his son. He is now Demona's most implacable enemy, and he has hunted her for a dozen lifetimes. He even wears the mask of the man who murdered his own father in order to gain a psychological edge.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 54 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 15 (217)

-Macbeth is part of the Triad of Awesome that Gargoyles had for its villains. In his debut, he's basically just some weirdo who kidnaps the Gargoyles and puts them through some Deathtraps, but we get hints of something more- "You KNOW Demona?" "KNOW her? I NAMED her!" He'd go on to become a recurring menace, using high-tech gear, electro-blasters (the most common weapon in the GargVerse aside from "laser blasters hidden in the forearm") and flying platforms to fight the team, rather than trickery (Xanatos) or magic... and trickery (Demona).

-A smart, savvy older gentleman, Macbeth later revealed the patented "Secret, long backstory" of other Gargoyles villains, but kind of took it to a different level. And by "kind of" I mean "more backstory than any other character in fiction, ever". Well maybe not LITERALLY, but hell, an entire ARC just focused on him growing up in ancient Scotland (as the fabled... but also quite real... Scottish King known as "Macbeth" in Shakespeare's work), allied with Demona (who had only now begun to trust humans again), and their eventual break and fall, when she thinks he's about to betray her (he probably wasn't). Now, consumed by a mix of vengeance and desire to end his long, immortal life, the poor guy ends up being the most sympathetic of the Triad of Awesome. He gets extra points for being too honorable to smash up the Gargoyles when they're in their stone sleep- he's practically disgusted at the idea of being so un-sporting.

-Macbeth is a PL 10 in a world of PL 8s & 9s, in that he shows a FREAKISH amoung of combat skill. The dude straight-up battles GOLIATH on a frequent basis, and has been shown to beat the hell out of the entire Manhattan Clan at once with his elite gadgets. It seems to pack quite a wallop, as I recall it taking down Goliath himself more than a couple times. He has all kinds of tech at his fingertips (though I don't think he's quite the inventor of most of it), and his sheer longevity means he has a great amount of Mental Stats as well- boosting his minor Skills to quite high levels. He's not QUITE a God of combat, but he can hold his own against any of the Gargoyles with just his sword if he needs to, and with his weapons (and potential Minions from his Wealth) he can threaten the entire group simultaneously. He's also big enough that experienced cops know better than to cuff him with the hands in FRONT of him.

-For his Powers, I kind of had to do a standard Resurrection on him, with the necessary "choose something that stops it" being Demona doing the damage. If Macbeth dies in combat, he basically gets right back up in a minute or two with zero damage. But, as a side effect, he has a Drawback that means he feels whatever pain Demona feels, up to and including if he himself does it.
This....GOD amongst cartoon Villians was the reason i first got into RPG's. True story:as a kid growing up in the 80's-90's,i wasn't too big into roleplaying games(mostly i was into board games,zombie & horror movies and Saturday morning cartoons).Yeah,you could get me into a game every ounce in awhile,but not for anything as long as a campaign.....Untill i saw this magnificent bastard of a villian. I had stayed the night w/my best friend(who was also the group GM) and,upon waking up,immediately cut on the TV to keep from missing my 'toons.Instead of Bionic Six like i'd been expecting(i'd just missed it by less than a minute),i ran across Macbeth's first apperance and was instant hypnotized by him. my friend decided to pull "an offer you can't refuse" out of his hat and whispered into my ear "you know,you can have a good guy version of him in Dungeons And Dragons AND in Marvel Super Heroes....." i've been hooked ever since
Jabroniville

Griff

Post by Jabroniville »

GRIFF
Played By:
Neil Dickson
Role: The Adventurer, Popular Supporting Character
PL 9 (133)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 2 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+5)
Expertise (History) 3 (+4)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Lightning Gun) 2 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Diehard, Equipment 4 (Lightning Gun), Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Luck, Power Attack, Rallying Cry, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Gargoyle Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (Quirks: Gliders) [3]
"Defenders of the Night" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Piercing Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Equipment:
"Macbeth's Lightning Gun" Blast 8 (16) -- (17)
  • AE: "Stun Setting" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Lightning Gun +7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Stun Setting +7 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Obsession (Adventure)- Griff is more adventurous than the typical Gargoyle, and enjoys the idea of fighting Nazis and flying across the world.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 14 (133)

-Griff is a rather sudden addition to the cast, coming out in the "World Tour" storyline, where we learn of the other Clans around the world. His Clan is the weirdest, most non-sensical of the bunch, since they all look like other animals (as varied as horses, birds, stags & lions) despite Gargoyles supposedly all being of the same scientific species (personally, I wish they'd have just gone with "Gargoyles are Magical" rather than try and get cute with the "well they take stone form because they absorb solar radiation by day, blah blah blah").

-His debut was a pretty good episode, though, as we get the standard "Headache of Time Travel" with Goliath using the Phoenix Gate to bring 1945 Battle of Britain Griff (the show loved it's history lessons) into the present day, where he made another appearance, eventually teaming up with King Arthur Pendragon for a potential spin-off series (that never happened, much like the SEVERAL other proposed spin-offs that Greg Weisman wanted to do). Now, I liked Gargoyles, but I never really got the sense that any of these spin-offs would've been really awesome- it's kinda for the best in a way, because the show had turned most of its good villains into semi-good guys, and had run out of mythological stuff to do, so I can't really say that it didn't go out at it's peak. Better to end then, that make a bunch of weak secondary shows that failed to live up to the hype, y'know?

-Griff his a PL higher than your standard Gargoyles, and is nearly as good as Goliath & Demona, and considerably skilled as a solo hero. He could give Goliath a good fight, as is probably a better fighter than most of the other Clan-members.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 pm This....GOD amongst cartoon Villians was the reason i first got into RPG's. True story:as a kid growing up in the 80's-90's,i wasn't too big into roleplaying games(mostly i was into board games,zombie & horror movies and Saturday morning cartoons).Yeah,you could get me into a game every ounce in awhile,but not for anything as long as a campaign.....Untill i saw this magnificent bastard of a villian. I had stayed the night w/my best friend(who was also the group GM) and,upon waking up,immediately cut on the TV to keep from missing my 'toons.Instead of Bionic Six like i'd been expecting(i'd just missed it by less than a minute),i ran across Macbeth's first apperance and was instant hypnotized by him. my friend decided to pull "an offer you can't refuse" out of his hat and whispered into my ear "you know,you can have a good guy version of him in Dungeons And Dragons AND in Marvel Super Heroes....." i've been hooked ever since
Hah, neat! Me, I got into them because a childhood friend of mine, with whom I'd reconnected in High School, was into Rifts, and I thought the art and world were rad :).
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:32 pm Image

MACBETH (Mac Bethad mac Findlaec)
Played By:
Johnathan Rhys-Davies
Role: The Tired Old Man, Honorable Bad Guy, Tragic Figure
PL 10 (217)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+15)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (History) 10 (+15)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+13)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 7 (+12)
Vehicles 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 5 (Wealth), Diehard, Equipment 20 (Castle Base, Defense Systems, Lightning Gun, Swords, etc.), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 3 (Unarmed, Sword, Lightning Gun), Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Inspire, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Probably a Few), Last Stand, Leadership, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Pact With Demona"
Immortality 14 (4 minutes) [28]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Equipment:
"Body Armour" Protection +2 (2)
"Lightning Gun" Blast 8 (16) -- (18)
  • AE: "Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 5) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword +13 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Lightning Gun +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Stun Setting +12 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5 (+7 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility ("Tired")- Macbeth has been alive for centuries, and has grown tired and miserable from the boredom, strain and effort. He hunts Demona in part to end his own existence.
Responsibility (Honor)- Macbeth knows how far he has fallen in life, and dislikes it in a way. He has more honor than most villains, choosing to not attack the Gargoyles in their Stone Sleep, letting them leave his castle freely after discovering that Merlin's Scrolls are useless to him, and more. It is this good quality that leads him to find love once again (though next time, he'll get a good look at her at night), then turn to the side of the angels after helping out King Arthur.
Power Loss (Pact)- If One Lives... Both Shall Live. However, if Demona is the one who slays Macbeth, he will stay dead (and he will have his revenge). Due to their pact, Macbeth will be afflicted with whichever conditions Demona is (it is unknown as to how far this reaches, though Weisman has suggested that distance weakens the effect, as he was irked when the writers had it happen when they were in separate rooms).
Enemy (Demona)- Demona betrayed him centuries ago after assuming the worst about his plans- this led to the destruction of Macbeth's kingdom, and the death of his son. He is now Demona's most implacable enemy, and he has hunted her for a dozen lifetimes. He even wears the mask of the man who murdered his own father in order to gain a psychological edge.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 54 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 15 (217)

-Macbeth is part of the Triad of Awesome that Gargoyles had for its villains. In his debut, he's basically just some weirdo who kidnaps the Gargoyles and puts them through some Deathtraps, but we get hints of something more- "You KNOW Demona?" "KNOW her? I NAMED her!" He'd go on to become a recurring menace, using high-tech gear, electro-blasters (the most common weapon in the GargVerse aside from "laser blasters hidden in the forearm") and flying platforms to fight the team, rather than trickery (Xanatos) or magic... and trickery (Demona).

-A smart, savvy older gentleman, Macbeth later revealed the patented "Secret, long backstory" of other Gargoyles villains, but kind of took it to a different level. And by "kind of" I mean "more backstory than any other character in fiction, ever". Well maybe not LITERALLY, but hell, an entire ARC just focused on him growing up in ancient Scotland (as the fabled... but also quite real... Scottish King known as "Macbeth" in Shakespeare's work), allied with Demona (who had only now begun to trust humans again), and their eventual break and fall, when she thinks he's about to betray her (he probably wasn't). Now, consumed by a mix of vengeance and desire to end his long, immortal life, the poor guy ends up being the most sympathetic of the Triad of Awesome. He gets extra points for being too honorable to smash up the Gargoyles when they're in their stone sleep- he's practically disgusted at the idea of being so un-sporting.

-Macbeth is a PL 10 in a world of PL 8s & 9s, in that he shows a FREAKISH amoung of combat skill. The dude straight-up battles GOLIATH on a frequent basis, and has been shown to beat the hell out of the entire Manhattan Clan at once with his elite gadgets. It seems to pack quite a wallop, as I recall it taking down Goliath himself more than a couple times. He has all kinds of tech at his fingertips (though I don't think he's quite the inventor of most of it), and his sheer longevity means he has a great amount of Mental Stats as well- boosting his minor Skills to quite high levels. He's not QUITE a God of combat, but he can hold his own against any of the Gargoyles with just his sword if he needs to, and with his weapons (and potential Minions from his Wealth) he can threaten the entire group simultaneously. He's also big enough that experienced cops know better than to cuff him with the hands in FRONT of him.

-For his Powers, I kind of had to do a standard Resurrection on him, with the necessary "choose something that stops it" being Demona doing the damage. If Macbeth dies in combat, he basically gets right back up in a minute or two with zero damage. But, as a side effect, he has a Drawback that means he feels whatever pain Demona feels, up to and including if he himself does it.

showing stupid kid syndrome, when he used his robotic double at fake out on Goliath at the end of his first appearance I was all "...he was a robot the whole time?"
Jabroniville

The Banshee

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BANSHEE (Bean Sidhe, aka Molly)
Played By:
Sheena Easton
Role: Monster Of The Week
PL 10 (192)
STRENGTH
3/10 STAMINA 5/11 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (History) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8, +11 Crom-Cruach)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Child of Oberon" Immunity 4 (Aging, Disease, Poison, Drowning) [4]
"You Have Recently Been in Avalon- The Scent of Its Magic Is All About You" Senses 2 (Magic Awareness- Acute) [2]
"The Banshee's Wail"
Damage 10 (Extras: Affects Will, Area- Audio Perception) Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative, Area- Audio Perception) (60) -- [61]
  • AE: "Mesmerize" Affliction 8 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Audio Perception) (16)
Concealment 2 (Visuals) [4]
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]

"Crom-Cruach Form"
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Crom-Cruach +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Banshee's Wail +10 Area (+10 Will Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +7
"Crom-Cruach" Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (Cu Chullain)- The Hero of Ulster overthrew the Banshee centuries ago, and she still carries a grudge over it.
Power Loss (Wail)- The Wail of the Banshee apparently does not affect animals as much as it does humans.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 108 / Defenses: 10 (192)

-The Banshee is a one-off Gargoyles foe, threatening the "World Tour" heroes in Ireland, where her horrific shrieks (which are SERIOUSLY disconcerting, even as an adult- uncomfortably loud, Uncanny Valley-ish in the wailing, and endless) bring down all the heroes except Bronx, who allies with a young Irish ne'er-do-well named Rory Dugan, who ends up being the reincarnation of Cu Chullain, The Hero of Ulster. He & Bronx (called "The Hound of Ulster", said to be similar to the one of old, which might be a "Gargoyle Beast") eventually bring down the Banshee, as she transforms into a giant Death Worm. She reappears on Avalon, being punished by Oberon for using her powers the wrong way.

-Greg Weisman admits this episode was under-researched. Chiefly that CU CHULLAIN was the Hound of Ulster, not some canine of his. And that Cu Chullain never encountered a Banshee (who is a harbringer of death, not an evil conqueror worm).

-The Banshee is an exceptionally-frightening foe in battle, as her Area Attack is insanely cheeseball, affecting your Will AND Fortitude in different ways, all fairly unblockable. She effortlessly takes down Goliath, Elisa & Angela, nearly killing all three. AND she can turn into a Giant Monster.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Xanatos! Owen! Coldstone! Demona! Thailog! Macbeth!)

Post by Woodclaw »

One of the things I regretted of my first screening of Gargoyles was missing MacBeth's debue episode (thanks again show schedule from my childhood).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Slight clarification she was actually punished because she refused to return when Oberon called her back for the gathering. The Sisters hunted her down and dragged her home.

The fact that she was also stupid enough to challenge Oberon out right also got her a spanking form daddy.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

for completists, Dracon, The Banshee and Odin are the new builds this time around. Most of the commentary has been reworked, though :).
Yojimbo

Re: Griff

Post by Yojimbo »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm -Griff is a rather sudden addition to the cast, coming out in the "World Tour" storyline, where we learn of the other Clans around the world. His Clan is the weirdest, most non-sensical of the bunch, since they all look like other animals (as varied as horses, birds, stags & lions) despite Gargoyles supposedly all being of the same scientific species (personally, I wish they'd have just gone with "Gargoyles are Magical" rather than try and get cute with the "well they take stone form because they absorb solar radiation by day, blah blah blah").
They're still magic. But I don't have any problem when somebody like Poul Anderson (or the Disney people) mixe some science in with the magic and explains why faerie creatures might be allergic to ferrous metals or ultraviolet radiation, or how huge animals like gargoyles can get nutrition without having to eat vast amounts of raw protein.

Also, I liked that the gargoyles around the world took on characteristics of creatures and monsters from various mythologies. The English gargoyles all looking like heraldric beasts, the Mayan gargoyles looking like Mesoamerican sculptures, etc. I think the Japanese gargoyles had a distinctive look, too, maybe? Back in the day, I took that idea and ran with it for a gargoyle race I made for the Palladium game Nightspawn (or Nightbane).
Jabroniville

Anansi

Post by Jabroniville »

ANANSI
Played By:
LeVar Burton
Role: Trickster God
PL 10 (195)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 8 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Craft Webs) 7 (+10)
Expertise (History) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+13 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+5, -3 Size)

Advantages: 
Benefit (Child of Oberon- King of Spiders), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Arachnid Physiology"
"Arachnid Senses" Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]
"Tremorsense" Senses 4 (Ranged Touch- Accurate 2 & Extended) [4]
"Chitinous Exoskeleton" Impervious Toughness 9 [9]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]
Extra Limbs 4 [4]
Burrowing 2 [2]

"Too Fat For the Ground" Enhanced Fighting 4 & Dodge 4 (Flaws: Limited to When On His Webs) [6]
"Natural Size" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]

"Spider-Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) & Affliction 4 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) (29) -- [30]
  • AE: "Webbing" Snare 8 (Flaws: Touch Range) (16)
"Child of Oberon"
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Regeneration 4 [4]
"Control Spiders" Mind Control 1 (Extras: Area- 500ft. Burst +5) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) [7]
"Magic" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Exhausted/Transformed) (Extras: Continuous +3) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Web-Fighting +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Bite +8 (+11 Damage, +6 Weaken & +4 Affliction, DC 26, 16 & 14)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (+7 On Webs, DC 13-17), Parry +4 (+8 On Webs, DC 14-18), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Anansi cannot use his legs to easily manipulate objects.
Motivation (Eating)- Anansi wants more people to hunt for him- he gets lazy and wants others to do all the work.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 113 / Defenses: 15 (195)

-Anansi is a Child of Oberon that threatened Goliath & Co. in an episode featuring Elisa's mother (Nichelle Nichols, another Star Trek alum) teaching children the story of werepanthers. And in this episode, we realize that the legends are TRUE, and some modern man turned himself into a werepanther, then did it to his GIRLFRIEND, so that she would always be with him (ain't it always the way, fellas? You turn a girl into a werepanther and is she appreciative? NO. Every single "I turned my girlfriend into a werepanther" story from my friends ends this way). Anansi here is effectively an upgraded version of my Giant Spider build, except that he's "so fat that he can't fight" when not on his web, turning him into a big pushover if you just tear all the big tendrils off. Otherwise, he's a PL 10 Monster in combat (+5 Impervious and +10 Damage are pretty crazy in the Gargoyles-Verse, so it would take the entire squad to fight him).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Geez- I keep forgetting to post these. Oh well- GARGOYLE SPAM!!!

"The Mirror": THIS is a well-known one, featuring the debut of Puck, as Demona uses a Magic Mirror (stolen from the Metropolitan Art Museum- OH HEY I TOTALLY WAS THERE ONCE) tries to get rid of Elisa. Instead, we get her turning into a Gargoyle (thus making Goliath go all googly-eyed at her), then the Clan turns human, then NEW YORK turns to Gargoyles, resulting in all kinds of fun. Elisa starts off undercover as a Museum security guard and OH GOD OH GOD SHE'S WEARING GLASSES COMBINED WITH LONG HAIR AND IS BREAKING MY MIND. Garglisa is kind of a poor design (they'd improve on the concept vastly with Delilah), just being a generic chick with no eyebrows. Demona actually tells Puck "you served the HUMAN, now you serve me!" which is a pretty big hint to future revelations. There's really nice animation in this one, though people have pretty dramatic shadows at the corners of their mouths, making them look a little cherubic (even DEMONA). Goliath makes the classic dude mistake of suggesting a woman looks more attractive now (Elisa immediately retorts with the Woman Response of "did you think I was UGLY before?"). Demona chucks a human Goliath about forty feet on Rockefeller Plaza (this ep is showing nothing but New York Tourist Landmarks- it's even got the token Uncomfortable Shot Of Twin Towers), which is hilariously possible with Strength 4 using the M&M Throwing Rules. Demona gets turned into a human-by-day (HOMINA HOMINA HOMINA... I never quite got the "Gargoyle Chicks as Sex Symbols" thing some fans had, but Demona turning human really made me realize how hot she was without giant clawed feet & hands). When Elisa & Goliath have their "moment" at the end when Elisa shoots down a nearly-spoken line from Goliath, they're basically letting EVERYONE know what's really going on- even the dumb kids knew the two were totally in wuv by this point.

"The Silver Falcon": Broadway & Elisa have a team-up in a neat little Detective Story. Broadway of course gets all his skills from watching movies, and hasn't learned things like "don't jump in front of your partner if they're drawing a bead on someone with a pistol". Broadway yanking up an elevator car by hand is a Goliath-level Strength Feat, by the by, and why I put 'em at the same lifting level (just not damage level). I love how one crook gets a 10-second head-start on Elisa and she automatically assumes he got away completely. Ah, dramatic convenience. There's a meeting at Cleopatra's Needle (they were JUST THERE last episode- though I didn't realize it was so close to the Metropolitan Art Gallery- I musta missed it by only a block or two) with Matt's old FBI partner, who'd show up much later. They finally find the "Silver Falcon" containing the money, and I'll be damned if I'd ever crawl across an ornamental thingie sticking out of a skyscraper, 70 stories up on a windy day. I mean, GEEZ. Then Maza CLIMBS UP THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING without the aid of a ladder or rope or anything. I'm not afraid of heights, but that would terrify the balls off of me.
Jabroniville

Re: Griff

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:26 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm -Griff is a rather sudden addition to the cast, coming out in the "World Tour" storyline, where we learn of the other Clans around the world. His Clan is the weirdest, most non-sensical of the bunch, since they all look like other animals (as varied as horses, birds, stags & lions) despite Gargoyles supposedly all being of the same scientific species (personally, I wish they'd have just gone with "Gargoyles are Magical" rather than try and get cute with the "well they take stone form because they absorb solar radiation by day, blah blah blah").
They're still magic. But I don't have any problem when somebody like Poul Anderson (or the Disney people) mixe some science in with the magic and explains why faerie creatures might be allergic to ferrous metals or ultraviolet radiation, or how huge animals like gargoyles can get nutrition without having to eat vast amounts of raw protein.

Also, I liked that the gargoyles around the world took on characteristics of creatures and monsters from various mythologies. The English gargoyles all looking like heraldric beasts, the Mayan gargoyles looking like Mesoamerican sculptures, etc. I think the Japanese gargoyles had a distinctive look, too, maybe? Back in the day, I took that idea and ran with it for a gargoyle race I made for the Palladium game Nightspawn (or Nightbane).
I don't mind it either, but I found it weird that they tried for scientific rationale for the nature of Gargoyles's "Stone Sleep" when "it's magic" would have been fine. And Weisman's whole "Gargates" species thing for the Gargoyles and their Beasts, which could have made sense... if the English Clan wasn't comprised of Heraldic Animals, which makes the whole thing weird.
Jabroniville

The Archmage

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ARCHMAGE
Played By:
David Warner
Role: Sorceror Lord, Potential World Conqueror
PL 12 (226)
STRENGTH
0/6 STAMINA 2/7 AGILITY 1/3
FIGHTING 5/10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5/8 AWARENESS 2/5 PRESENCE 1/5

Skills:
Deception 5 (+6, +10 Eye)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+11, +14 Eye)
Expertise (History) 4 (+9, +12 Eye)
Intimidation 4 (+5, +9 Eye)
Perception 2 (+4, +7 Eye)
Persuasion 2 (+3, +7 Eye)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 4 (+10, +12 Eye)
Treatment 1 (+6, +9 Eye)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Magic), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"The Eye of Odin" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [74]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Enhanced Stamina 5 (10)
Enhanced Agility 2 (4)
Enhanced Fighting 5 (10)
Enhanced Intelligence 3 (6)
Enhanced Awareness 3 (6)
Enhanced Presence 4 (8)
"Eats the Grimorum" Removes Removable Flaw on Grimorum (29)
Immunity 1 (Aging) (1)
Enhanced Advantages 4: Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Improved Critical (4)
Regeneration 5 (5)
Damage 9 (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited to Those Trying to Remove the Eye) (27)
-- (122 points)

"The Phoenix Gate" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [38]
Teleport 20 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity) (Extras: Accurate) (62) -- (63 points)
  • AE: Movement 5 (Dimensional Travel 3, Time Travel 2) (10)
"The Grimorum Arcanorum" (Flaws: Easily Removble) [44]
Variable 12 (Flaws: Distracting) (72)
Features 1: Knows the Location of Avalon (1)
-- (73 points)

Sample Powers: Transform (Affliction Area, Permanent), Mind Control (Permanent), Summon (Beach Constructs), Blasts 8-12, Scrying Pool (Remote Sensing)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Eye of Odin Boost +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Grimorum Powers +10 (+8-12 Damage, DC 23-27)
Initiative +1 (+3 Eye)

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+11 Eye, DC 21), Parry +6 (+11 Eye, DC 21), Toughness +2 (+7 Eye), Fortitude +4 (+9 Eye), Will +4 (+7 Eye)

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Enemy (The Gargoyles)- The Archmage is a vengeful man, desperate for revenge upon the Gargoyles for their part in his defeat many centuries before.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 156 / Defenses: 13 (226)

-The Archmage was a throwaway villain put in early on, but David Warner's excellent animation voice (seen as Ra's al-Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series) led to an expanded role in "Avalon", where his future self saves his past self's life (somehow), gathers a batch of super-powered Magical Devices, allies with the Weird Sisters (getting them some henchmen in Demona & Macbeth), and tries to wipe out all the Gargoyles and take world power. Of course he gets overconfident, Goliath tears the Eye of Odin off his head, and the dude flames out one last time. I thought he was a pretty good one-shot villain, because his ridiculous power levels (and versatility) came with a price (the Removable stuff).

-Greg Weisman was basically in LOVE with the guy, and wanted him to be an unstoppable villain, but realized he must have made some errors when the fans were just like "yeah, he's okay" and moved on, not quite understanding the sheer menace of the character. Weisman thinks it might be because they had to cut a lot of superfluous stuff out, much of which might helped explain just how much danger Avalon was in.

-The Archmage gains a ton of personal might using the Eye of Odin, and it also allows him to control the Grimorum as a Personal Power instead of a Device (basically paying off the cost of that Flaw), as well as badly hurting anyone trying to remove it. The Phoenix Gate makes him the ultimate traveller as well, able to get just about anywhere. PL 12 is enough to wreck almost any Gargoyle party (particularly with the Weird Sisters, Demona and Macbeth as his minions), so this dude is tough.