Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (T-Rex! Sauropods! Liopleurodon! Dino-Riders!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:21 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 am I probably said this before, but I'm fine with the posts coming at a fast rate if they're mostly/all reposts or if it's a set that would take a really long time at the normal rate.
Okay, cool. Sometimes I worry I'm burying people in a backlog they'll never drawl out of, and sometimes I worry that I'll eventually RUN OUT of stuff to post, and will have wished I didn't post them so fast... but other times, I feel lazy for re-posting stuff (even though in cases like this, I actually add paragraphs to many of the bios- for the toys, I actually include my travails in buying them now that I'm an adult with disposable income :)).
I was mostly joking about the dino blast. And as far as running out of things to stat, that will never, ever, happen. You still have a lot of DC stuff to do, you haven't touched the Valiant, Dynamite and much of the Image-verse outside of Invincible, there is Star Wars, Star Trek, the Matrix, the MCU, the DCEU versions, dozens of anime/manga things, Marvel introduces a new character every 30 seconds and between all the new content that Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and other streaming services produce, there never ever not be anything left to build.

And don't use that "I'm not interesting in such and such" excuse either, mister! You hooked us on the juice, so you have to keep it coming. Now get cracking on the those Gilligan's Island builds! :D
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I AM TRAPPED FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

My addiction is so complete I might one day have to start posting builds of stuff I hate. Hopefully GR releases a "Fourth Edition" or something by the time I've done everyone I could ever are about :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 am I probably said this before, but I'm fine with the posts coming at a fast rate if they're mostly/all reposts or if it's a set that would take a really long time at the normal rate.
Okay, cool. Sometimes I worry I'm burying people in a backlog they'll never drawl out of, and sometimes I worry that I'll eventually RUN OUT of stuff to post, and will have wished I didn't post them so fast... but other times, I feel lazy for re-posting stuff (even though in cases like this, I actually add paragraphs to many of the bios- for the toys, I actually include my travails in buying them now that I'm an adult with disposable income :)).
Dude,your not burying people;your just making me look like a horribly lazy person...... :) Btw:do you want to do Visionaries or should i?
I don't have anything to add about Visionaries since the last time I posted them, so feel free to take care of them for now. I'm thinking my next sets will be Kill Bill, Black Panther builds, Marvel- The Letter "B", then Invincible. After that, probably Wolverine-themed builds and South Park. I've been wanting to do that set for AGES.
Jabroniville

Questar & The Diplodocus

Post by Jabroniville »

QUESTAR
Role:
Super Awesome Leader-Guy
PL 11 (178)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+12) -- Flaws: Limited to Riding
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+7)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+7)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 4 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit 4 (Valorian Leader), Equipment 22 (Lasers- Blast 4, Diplodocus Harness), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blasters) 2, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Inspire, Leadership, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Sidekick 20 (Diplodocus), Teamwork

Powers:
"AMP Necklace" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted to Valorians) [10]
Communication (Mental) 2 (Extras: Area, Selective) (12)
Comprehend 1 (Speak To Animals) (2)
-- (14 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Lasers +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Dino-Lasers +10 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Enemy (The Rulon Empire)- The Rulons have conquered Valoria, and are chasing after the remnants.
Responsibility (Pacifism)- Valorian culture is highly-pacifistic, and they do not naturally crave war. They also do not wish to harm dinosaurs, even the Rulons' slaves.
Responsibility (All Dino-Riders)- Questar feels the heavy weight of power.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 60 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 12 (178)

-Questar was pretty much the exact same as any other 1980s cartoon Leader-type: Noble, charismatic, brave, an excellent commander, has the respect of everyone, and it overall the best fighter as well. You might as well call him Optimus Prime as a Human and be done with it. There's really nothing interesting about him at all- he always makes the right decisions; he never falters; etc. The most unusual thing about him is his Dinosaur. Questar is by far the most expensive points-wise of the Dino-Riders, for obvious reasons. Like all the other '80s leaders, he's the best by far at nearly everything, has talents in every skill, is wise and smart, and has the best Dinosaur of the common Valorian types. In a big knock-down, drag-out fight with Krulos, he is actually beaten pretty badly, until he does some judo stuff and cracks Krulos' helmet open, exposing him to the elements.

-Questar actually has two Recolors in the 2-Pack Figures, both being released alongside a recolor of Krulos. One is silver (to go with the gold of Krulos), while the other, rarer one (from Series II), was blue & green.

DIPLODOCUS
Role:
Special Mount, Giant War Platform
Mount For: Questar, Mind-Zei & Aries
PL 10 (99)- Minion Rank 7, Sidekick Rank 20
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 11 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 12 (+13 Size)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Diehard, Improved Critical (Whip Tail) 2, Interpose, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Speed 1 (8 mph) [1]
"Long Neck & Tail" Reach 6 [6]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
Strength-Damage +3 [3]
Impervious Toughnes 9 [9]

"Tail Lash" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20) -- [21]
  • AE: "Dinosaur Stampede!" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path) (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Area Attacks +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious, +14 Harness), Fortitude +12, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dinosaurs cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Cold Climates)- The Age of Reptiles was a much hotter time period than our own. Creatures from that era will be more susceptible to Cold and Ice-based attacks.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 15 (99)

DIPLODOCUS HARNESS- 97 Equipment Points
Seats:
At Least Seven (three in each pod, plus a main command pod up top)
Armour: Protection 3 (enormous pods on the sides) (3)
Weaponry: Four Neck-Missile Pods, Tail Missile Pods (Blast 9- Multiattack, Split) and two Blaster-Laden Side Pods (Two sets of Blast 11- Multiattack) (94)

-With the nomenclature of "Brontosaurus" being up in airs, Diplodocus kind of snuck is as being THE iconic Sauropod dinosaur (being the owner of the famous dinosaur skeleton at the Carnegie Museum- and re-casted all over the world, it's no surprise that this one became famous). It's one of the smaller ones of the "big names", being only about as big as Indricotherium or other super-mammals, but it makes up for it with tremendous length. Going upwards of 92 feet long, scientists have measured it's EXTREMELY long tail and have potentially guessed that it could create miniature sonic booms, the same way a bullwhip does. Yes, that means nature essentially broke the sound barrier before humankind ever did. Also, they have cool little spikey things going up their backs. It's also possible that Seismosaurus, a similarly-built animal, is the exact same thing, and these just grew far bigger in certain areas, but Paleontology is funny that way. I mean, if you saw Arnold Schwarzenegger & Danny DeVito buried a few miles apart, would you think they were the same species?

-The Diplodocus is pretty famous as far as Dinos go (being in the Sauropod format), but isn't usually considered the top of the heap, or anywhere near it. The Bronto/Apatosaurus & Brachiosaurus are much more well-known, bigger, and more notable, and the Triceratops is usually most often given the "heroic" role in opposition to the Tyrannosaurus Rex. So why the big green lizard as the signature beast of the good guys in this toyline? My guess is they wanted to give one of the biggest, most expensive toys to the "Leader" character, and a Brontosaurus would've been prohibitively expensive. So the smaller (but still huge) Diplodocus got the job instead. It was still a very good toy, with more missiles than you could possibly count, TWO giant harness pods, Neck Missiles, TAIL guns, a useless Command Pod (I mean, who would sit in an unarmoured giant target?), etc. It was sold with the leader Questar, the wisened Mind-Zei, and a gener-o Yungstar-Recolor named Aries.

-The Diplodocus is quite powerful, but still PL 10 like the Stegosaurus & Triceratops, because it's MUCH easier to hit- but its Toughness is so high (especially with the Harness), the other Dinos will be hard-pressed to make a dent in its hide. The sheer mass of weaponry is terrifying to behold, being able to whip out ALL of its Blasts at the same time (in many directions), essentially blanketting the entire field with Missiles & Laser Blasts- it pays for three separate sets of Blasts, since three different people can fire in three separate directions independently of each other. Not something you want to see coming at you.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:51 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 am

Dude,your not burying people;your just making me look like a horribly lazy person...... :) Btw:do you want to do Visionaries or should i?
I don't have anything to add about Visionaries since the last time I posted them, so feel free to take care of them for now. I'm thinking my next sets will be Kill Bill, Black Panther builds, Marvel- The Letter "B", then Invincible. After that, probably Wolverine-themed builds and South Park. I've been wanting to do that set for AGES.
Never min then,since you already did them.Hey,if your doing South Park,would you mind doing them in either Stick of Truthor Fractured But Whole versions?I'm rather curios about how they'll stat for MnM......
MacynSnow

Re: Questar & The Diplodocus

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:02 am Image
Now ,to play a little "Devils Advocate" here,Questar wasn't the worst offender of the "Awesome Hero" trope from the 80's Cartoons,just the most well known example (I personally think the worst one is the leader of the Dino-Saucers guy.You'd think a T-Rex would be the LAST choice for leader by a bunch of Herbavors,but nnnnoooo......)
Jabroniville

Krulos & The T-Rex

Post by Jabroniville »

KRULOS
Role:
Evil Warlord
PL 10 (153)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Warlord) 10 (+13)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Perception 2 (+6)
Technology 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 5 (Rulon Warlord), Equipment 24 (Lasers- Blast 4, Tyrannosaurus Harness), Ranged Attack 7, Sidekick 22 (Tyrannosaurus Rex), Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Lasers +9 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
T-Rex Guns +9 (+7-11 Ranged Damage, DC 22-26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Conquering)- The Rulon Empire is devoted to ruling the universe.
Weakness (Brain Boxes)- The Rulons can only control disagreeable dinosaurs by means of Brain Boxes on their heads- if the Boxes are blasted off (a semi-difficult Called Shot, depending on the size of the Box), the creature will go wild, usually shaking off its riders or armaments, and run off the battlefield. The T-Rex in particular is notorious for going wild the second its Brain Box is removed.
Weakness (Aquatic)- Krulos is a semi-aquatic creature, and requires his special suit to keep him from dehydrating. If it is damaged, he will begin to suffer, and eventually die.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 60 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (153)

---

TYRANNOSAURUS REX
Role:
Special Mount, Elite War Platform, Giant Monster
Mount For: Krulos, Bitor (Antor Recolour) & Cobrus (Rasp Recolour)
PL 11 (108)- Minion Rank 8, Sidekick Rank 22
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Close Combat (Bite) 1 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 15 (+15 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 9 (+2 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite) 4, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent & Extended Scent 3) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Theropod Bite" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Penetrating 7) [10]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Bite +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+4 Impervious, +14 Harness), Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dinosaurs cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Cold Climates)- The Age of Reptiles was a much hotter time period than our own. Creatures from that era will be more susceptible to Cold and Ice-based attacks.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 18 (108)

TYRANNOSAURUS REX HARNESS- 108 Equipment Points
Seats:
Five Riders (Command Pod, Two Side Pods, Rear Pod and Front Claw-Pod)
Armour: Protection 3 (extremely wide, extensive harness) (3)
Weaponry: Two Gatling Guns (Blast 11 Each), Rear Gun Array (Blast 8- Multiattack), Command Pod & Brain Box Guns (Blast 7- Multiattack), Grappling Claws (Extra Limbs 2- Reach 2), Buzzsaw Shin-Guards (Damage 6- Multiattack) (105)

-Of course a show based entirely around Dinosaurs would have the Biggest & Baddest of all the monsters in the history of the Earth on it. Krulos (initially going to be called "Karnaj") as a character was the exact same as every other '80s cartoon villain, being a big, ugly, scary guy who screamed alot, was voiced by Frank Welker (not even disguising his "Doctor Claw" voice), punched his henchmen and laughed when he thought he was winning. He even got humiliated a few times (though the Series Bible SPECIFICALLY recommended not to do this, to preserve his menace). His sole original aspect was his water-bowl headgear, which, if shattered, would prove to be nearly fatal to him (though he lingered for hours before Serena of the Valorians saved him). But his DINOSAUR... how do you make a T. Rex more awesome? By sticking ten tons of body armour on him, strapping about a dozen lasers on top of THAT, give him an evil helmet, and giant grappling claws (A T-Rex who can DO PUSH-UPS and MAKE A BED? HE IS INVINCIBLE!!)! Frick, even his FEET have weapons on them! This was the mightiest toy ever, and probably my favourite overall action figure (though it was sold years ago during a Garage Sale... stupid teenage years not being nostalgic enough), and is overall just bad ass. I've seen some custom re-paints that made it look like the cartoon version instead of the more-plain "Grey & Green" look the toy had, and they're pretty sweet, too. Had the toy line gone into the mid-90s, we'd probably have seen a comparable Spinosaurus or Giganotosaurus, but alas, T-Rex would be one of comparatively-few predators to make the toyline.

-The toy will set you back a fair bit- likely more than the Diplodocus or anything but the ultra-rare figures (Rulon Quetzalcoatlus & Pachyrhinosaurus) or the Brontosaurus- the crazy amount of gear on this thing, combined with the age of the figure, means that at least SOMETHING'S probably going to be broken. This actually makes finding one a good bit cheaper, however, as all those little broken bits and cracks will net you big discounts on a "complete enough" figure if you don't care about minor flaws like that. I ended up with a good quality model, and I don't look at the back of the thing enough to notice his tail-tip being partially missing, or various bits I had to glue in. This toy just has an incredible amount of detail, with three separate "covered" pods with fold-down shields, Krulos' battle stand, and the front pod with the claws.

-Krulos isn't quite as good as say, Questar, being less accurate and more of a slow-moving powerhouse in combat. But his mount alone makes him a supreme commander type, with hugely powerful attacks, tons of weapons, and a handful of Minions to fire all the weapons. The T-Rex armature itself is HUGELY expensive, since it allows four different characters to fire at once (the two Gatling Guns were among the most powerful weapons in the line)- in a straight-up shoot-out, the Rex could have beaten the Brontosaurus itself had the thing's Power Laser not gone off. Generally, the heroes only pull out wins by blasting off the thing's Brain Box.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode Five: Llahd shows up and makes a mess of things for everyone by trying too hard and showboating, thus giving us our central story. They make a big deal out of the grey Torosaurs of the Valorians, as they first do some live-fire excercises, then the Rulon Triceratopses show up and it's a Ceratopsian Show-Down. This actually turns into the single-biggest fight of the show so far, as Torosaurs rain Hell, but soon it's Krulos's T-Rex versus Gunnur & Tagg in the Torosaurus in a HUGE brawl, as they shoot at each other, grapple, bite (the Toro bites Rex's tail) and knock each other around for a solid couple minutes! Gunnur even gets a knockdown with the weird Tripping Mechanism on his Torosaurus!

Llahd's Pterodactyl looks HUGE here- like eight feet tall with a twenty-foot wingspan! The real animal (Pterodactylus) is about the weight of a KITTEN. Llahd is the only guy not to do great in the battle, so he runs off to be a hero himself. Gunnur & Tagg soon show up to help now that the entire base is out looking for him (thus provoking a Rulon attack), and climb down a steep cliff to save a baby Torosaurus- did they forget that Llahd brought a flying mount? Soon the Rulons mount their second giant attack THAT DAY, and it's a huge brawl, with a Triceratops throwing a Stegosaurus by its tail, Styracosaurs jobbing all over the place, and Llahd sees off three Pteranodons at once with a single Missile Salvo! The Torosaurs the gang saved earlier come to save the team from an absolute route of the base, and chase off poor Krulos. Llahd thus learns the importance of teamwork instead of grandstanding.

Episode Six: This'n's by Christy Marx, creator of Jem and the Holograms and eventual writer of Birds of Prey and the woman behind the recent Amethyst re-vamp (which was good until they had to rush the ending due to low sales, and include Eclipso, one of DC's lamest villains). They advertise the T-Rex toy by showing off its hardware- HOLY FRICK THEY JUST BLEW UP AN ENTIRE MOUNTAIN IN ONE SHOT! Now THAT is a GATLING GUN! Meanwhile, Turret is feeling useless and unneeded because he's a big baby and everyone else is busy. The Rulons attack (MAN- every single time a flying creature gets hit, it's always a wing shot so it can imitate a falling jet- did they take too many hints from G.I. Joe or something? The T-Rex literally walks through EVERYTHING the Valorians throw at it (and Krulos makes sure to name Bitor, Mako & Cobrus, his fellow riders, to ensure the toy gets some more publicity- Cobrus & Bitor were sold with the T-Rex, while Mako is the Monoclonius rider), knocks Turret out of his Styracosaurus, and messes up the Diplodocus' command bubble on his way to grabbing the S.T.E.P. Crystal with the Rex's Death Grip Claws (a T-Rex with LONG ARMS? IT IS TRULY UNSTOPPABLE), but Turret gets a good shot and blows off the Rex's Brain Box.

However, despite this great shot, Turret calls it "lucky" and goes off to mope again. Meanwhile, Krulos is chased off by the T-Rex, who then discovers its mate, and we get one of those great moments where they're like "Hey, what's better than ONE Tyrannosaurus Rex?" Krulos has their baby tossed into Valorian H.Q., setting the parents into a rampage, but Turret builds some mirrors (he was trying to impress Serena and be useful for once) and realizes that the dinos will chase their own reflections, thinking it's another pair of T-Rexes. So Turret saves the day AGAIN, and sheepishly accepts their goofy medal of bravery after he leads the monsters right into the Rulons, who'd been watching from afar. Cute episode, if a bit disjointed.
Jabroniville

Edmontonia

Post by Jabroniville »

EDMONTONIA
Role:
Special Mount, Walking Tank
Mount For: Axis (Generic Valorian)
PL 9 (59)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 12
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 10 (+9 Size)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Interpose, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Sacral Shield" Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 9) [12]
"Tail Smash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Tail Smash +7 (+10 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious, +13 Harness), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 13 (59)

EDMONTONIA HARNESS- 35 Equipment Points
Seats:
One (large seat on top- could fit two on the show)
Armour: Protection 2 (large saddle and harness) (2)
Weaponry: Spinning Whip Attack, Multiple Lasers, Two Cannons (Damage Aura 8, AE: Blast 10- Multiattack) (33)

-Okay, now there's scraping the bottom of the barrel, and then there's THIS thing. Sure, he's named after the city in which I live, but COME ON. And why is it so gigantic? Their Ankylosaurus is the size of their Protoceratops, but this no-name dino gets to be nearly as big as the Triceratops/Stegosaurus clan? Lame. AND THAT HARNESS!! What in hell were they thinking? That poor bastard must've lost some kind of major-ass bet to draw that one out. How the hell is he supposed to get off? Those tiny ladders the toys came with are only as tall as a person! Totally bizarre.

-That said... this is a wicked damn toy. Owning one, I realize that it's HUGE, sports giant spikes all over the museum-quality replica dino, and has this wicked super-giant saddle that springs the armor up, revealing not only a dozen LASER BLASTERS, but a ripcord that can be pulled, sending a huge blue whip spinning around the dinosaur, smashing anything in its path. And mine still actually works! The things whips around like a perpetual-motion device, unpredictably swinging in and out the entire way. Add to that the two guns in front, and the THREE behind... you've got some heavy armaments.

-The Edmontonia is one of those things you really have to buy as a whole piece- given that it's got moving parts, you're gonna want all of that stuff intact, and finding replacement Gun Tips for such unique gear (all three types of guns have different tips, and I don't see them replicated on other dinos in the line) would be a huge pain. This guy's usually pricier than a Torosaurus, though I recall getting kinda lucky with mine.

-The rider, Axis, does not appear in the show- other named characters get to ride the Edmontonia in a "Focus Episode" that features it brawling with the Rulons' Kentrosaurus (ridden by Krok). Axis is a curious thing- a BIT pricier than the Series I Valorian figures, but still only like $10, despite the rarity of the Edmontonia. His "Type"- guys with an odd bandolier look, are more detailed than most Valorians, but still look kind of plain and boring, so they're that weird thing where the rare ones are expensive, but undesirable. Most of the "later series" Dinos feature at least one "Axis" recolor.

-Stats-wise, it's a bit bigger than the real Edmontonia (only Growth 5), and it stands noticeably smaller than the jumbo-sized Kentrosaurus in the cartoon- the two still had a very even brawl once Yungstar got his act together. The armour is amongst the most interesting of the Dino-Riders, having guns surrounding the entire harness, two giant cannons out front, and some whip thingie that spins around, attacking anyone too close. They all Alt-Effect off of each other, so it comes out pretty cheap in any case. The toy came with some nobody named Axis who never even got to show up in the cartoon, but was ridden by Turret & Yungstar on the show- both typically ride other dinos, but since this was a focus episode for the critter, it got bigger names.
Jabroniville

Cartoon Characters

Post by Jabroniville »

CARTOON-ONLY CHARACTERS:
* Despite having like, forty named Valorians in the toys, the show featured three who never got released as figures. Ikon & Vector were supposed to be part of the Brontosaurus set, but they ended up going with Serena and two generics instead- one even named Ion.

AERO:
-Aero is a hotshot young pilot (er, Quetzalcoatlus Rider), and a rival to Yungstar- the two compete endlessly, with Aero usually being the victor.

VECTOR:
-A guy with an Errol Flynn look to him, Vector was usually seen typing stuff onto his wrist-computer. He didn't do any fighting, but he was one of Questar's top advisors.

IKON:
-My favorite character in the show was the distinctive, Spock-like emotionless guy known as Ikon. His main thing is making rapid-fire calculations, tapping his staff on the ground and making it glow as he does so. The purpose of his staff NEVER GETS EXPLAINED, because the show was kind of weird like that. He would often do "C-3PO" stuff like calculate the odds of victory, but his emotionless nature often comes up with plans that involve things like "only a 13% casualty rate", which is too much for the others.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode Seven: An attempt to save some injured Ceratopsians from last episode goes awry when Krulos ambushes the rescue party, but an earthquake soon hampers both teams. The Deinonychus troops are apparently equipped with Rocket Boosters in the backs of their saddles to allow for short-ish jumps. Krulos is injured in the quake, and begins dying as his exo-suit fails and he starts drying out; meanwhile, Serena is captured while Krulos' Generals go all Starscream-Style, fighting over who's going to take command once Krulos finally croaks. It's actually pretty funny how they don't even wait for him to die before they start squabbling over the Empire. They lock Serena in a prison cell which of course has a human-sized grating in it (SERIOUSLY?), and she runs off and finds poor dying Krulos, and because she's all obsessed with healing pain she SAVES HIS LIFE. Though at least she considers just leaving him there to die.

Questar brings Mind-Zei and two of the new Commando toys with him to the rescue (oh hey, I must have forgotten they showed up earlier), and everything turns out great. In a bit of a neater twist, Serena actually shows guilt for saving Krulos ("I should have let Krulos DIE!"), but Mind-Zei and the others convince her that she did the right thing. Well, they WERE a race of pacifists before the War, even IF these heroic ideals get them into trouble.

Episode Eight: TAGG of all people gets an episode of focus, as the Token Black Guy leads three new toys... I mean Dinosaurs, through some show-offy tactics to get kids to buy them. This time it's Pachycephalosaurus (though we've seen a few already), Protoceratops & Edmontonia. Tagg gets captured while the Rulons burrow underneath their base (Krok leads things, but his nose keeps flickering between a weird black version and a regular crocodilian nose), but the good guys keep burying their foes under rubble (because dozens of tons of rock is less deadly than laser fire, apparently), while Questar gets off some INSANE shot that hits Krulos' Triceratops' saddle laser, causing the harness to COMPLETELY EXPLODE. WTF? This one's a weaker episode, especially because they over-use the avalanche solution (I mean, it's literally about five times where that trick works- WHO DELIBERATELY CAUSES AVALANCHES WHILE UNDERGROUND?), and because it teases being a "Tagg Focus" episode, but he only does a couple things (like saving Llahd from Krok, who apparently has Acute Scent powers).

Episode Nine: Hey- it's LOKUS again! And the Valorians are celebrating... Thanksgiving? Really? Llahd & Yungstar get captured by Rulons, which means the COMMANDOS are going into action! And we finally get some ACTUAL BACKSTORY to the plot behind the series, as we see how the war started, what Valoria was like, and that Valorians are immune to the Rulons' Brain Boxing (I figure that for a Complication on the Boxes themselves). Man, '80s cartoons could be VICIOUS- Krulos declared that since they couldn't control the Valorians, they were instead going to KILL all of them- "Down to the last CHILD!" Turns out, only 400 Valorians made the escape into Earth's past- they don't explain if the others on the homeworld actually died or not- as only Krulos's mothership (The Dreadlok) followed them through the portal.

There's a big rescue attempt (with more appropriately-sized Ankylosaurs than the toys have, plus a Saurolophus- pronounced "Sawr-ALL-oh-phus" by Krulos). Krulos gets dunked in the lake- I guess they never took the show's head writer's advice to not humiliate the guy.
Jabroniville

Commandos

Post by Jabroniville »

COMMANDO TEMPLATE
Role:
G.I. Joe Knock-Offs, Spotlight Stealing Squad
PL 7 (107)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 4 (+6)
Insight 1 (+3)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 4 (+6)
Treatment 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Lasers- Blast 4, Enviro-Suits), Improved Critical (Lasers), Ranged Attack 6, Teamwork

Powers:
-- (14 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Lasers +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications: 
Enemy (The Rulon Empire)- The Rulons have conquered Valoria, and are chasing after the remnants.
Responsibility (Pacifism)- Valorian culture is highly-pacifistic, and they do not naturally crave war. They also do not wish to harm dinosaurs, even the Rulons' slaves.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 8 (107)

GLYDE: PL 7 (108)- Equipment 2 (Glider- Flight 5- Requires a Take-Off Point), Favoured Environment (Airborne) [3]
FAZE: PL 8 (112)- Equipment 5 (Missiles- Blast 8- Area- 30ft. Burst- Distracting, High-End Lasers- Blast 8) [5]
BOMBA: PL 7 (114)- Expertise (Demolitions) 8 (+10), Equipment 5 (Multiple Explosives) [9]
KHAMEELIAN: PL 7 (113)- INT 3, Stealth 9 (+13), Expertise (Survival) 10 (+12), Favoured Environment (Jungles & Bush) [8]
ASTRA: PL 8 (119)- FIGHTING 8, INT 3, AWA 3, PRE 3, Expertise (Soldier) 7 (+9), Leadership, Equipment 4 (Shield- Dodge & Parry 2, Spear +2) [14]
ROK: PL 7 (107)- Equipment 1 (Climbing Claws), Favoured Environment (Mountains) [2]

-The Commandos were seen from time-to-time on the show, and were generally knock-offs of G.I. Joe, which was a huge deal at the time (this being the late 1980s). Astra, a humorless leader-type, was in charge with his cool Spear & Shield combo, leading Glyde (Paratrooper Glider-Guy), Faze (Long-Ranged Artillery), Bomba (Demolitions like land mines), and Khameelian (hidden scout)- they had their own episode of focus, and a couple were background assist-guy in other episodes, but also showed up to dominate the "Ice Age" episode, which was rather annoying- the rest of the cast may have been selections from the Wall O' Stereotypes, but at least they had PERSONALITIES. These guys were just a squad of same-minded military dudes who rarely lost at anything.

-Oddly, the appear several times in the cartoon, which I don't remember at all as a kid (and I know I saw those episodes back then). They're really not that memorable. In the "Ice Age" episode (with different animation than the rest of the series), they're the ones who go FORWARD in time, grabbing four animals and coming back with repurposed Brontosaurus gear on them, saving the day. As I said in their episode review, the main Dino-Riders may be from the "Well O' Stereotypes" as far as cartoon characters go, but at least they HAVE personalities. These guys are just Standard Boring Action Guys, all focused on their job and stuff. All we get is that Khameelian is a bit of a know-it-all dork, and Astra is the leader.

-The Commandos figures are a curious thing on eBay- they're about as pricey as mid-tier Solo Figs... but that GEAR. Every one of these guys has the tiniest, most easily-lost pieces imaginable, so finding one that's complete will set you back a TON. I finally ended up with all six of them, but even I won't attempt to get all their piddly gear. Some are as small as "spiked gloves" on a man who's not even three inches high.
Jabroniville

Serena

Post by Jabroniville »

SERENA
Role:
The Chick, Healer
PL 7 (111)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+11) -- Flaws: Limited to Riding
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 7 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Technology 3 (+6)
Treatment 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Lasers- Blast 4, Pteranodon), Ranged Attack 4, Sidekick 10 (Pteranodon), Teamwork

Powers:
-- (14 points)

"Lay on Hands" Healing 10 (Flaws: Others Only, Tiring on Large Creatures -1/2) [8]
"Telelocation" Senses 4 (Detect Sentients- Ranged 3) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Lasers +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications: 
Responsibility (Pacifism)- Valorian culture is highly-pacifistic, and they do not naturally crave war. They also do not wish to harm dinosaurs, even the Rulons' slaves. Serena takes this an extra step, and will even save the life of an evil being like Krulos.
Relationship (Mind-Zei, Grandfather)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 13 (111)

-Serena was the only woman generally-seen on Dino-Riders, and was one of the more commonly-seen characters. With her unique powers of Healing, she was often called upon to fix the "flesh wounds" the lasers caused to her fellow Valorians, but also to heal the Dinosaurs. The large creatures would often drain her completely, and she nearly died in one episode, if not for some sacred Valorian ritual that let the others put some of THEIR energy into HER. It's never explained why she has these abilities and nobody else does, and curiously the head writer noted in his Series Bible that he REALLY didn't want stuff like this or their Telepathy to be in the show, feeling that "Esoteric concepts like this cause regressive behavior in children" (???). Seeing as how the entire series was based around advertising toys to impressionable children and create further want, I don't think that should've been the issue at hand :).

-Serena is as good in a fight as any other Dino-Rider, typically being seen riding alongside Yungstar- she was most-often scene in a Pteranodon (the sole good-guy one- the Rulons got the rest) or a Deinonychus, and not the Brontosaurus toy she was sold with. The other two Bronto-riders were Ayce & Ion, who generic guys- initially the toy was supposed to be packed with Serena, Ikon (the guy with the staff in the show), Vektor (another scientist type) and Ayce, but they changed their minds partway through to make the toy cheaper.
Davies

Re: Serena

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 am\curiously the head writer noted in his Series Bible that he REALLY didn't want stuff like this or their Telepathy to be in the show, feeling that "Esoteric concepts like this cause regressive behavior in children" (???). Seeing as how the entire series was based around advertising toys to impressionable children and create further want, I don't think that should've been the issue at hand :).
Ah, but "regressive behavior" here means not being a materialist.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Brontosaurus

Post by Jabroniville »

BRONTOSAURUS
Role:
Special Mount, Gigantic War Platform
Mount For: Serena (Token Chick), Ayce & Ion (Generic Valorians)
PL 11 (109)- Minion Rank 8, Sidekick Rank 22
Normal Version:
PL 9-10
STRENGTH 10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 12 (+14 Size)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Diehard, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage

Powers:
Speed 1 (8 mph) [1]
"Long Neck & Tail" Reach 5 [5]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 9 (Str & Sta +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -9 Stealth) -- (36 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [19]
Strength-Damage +4 [4]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) [15]

"Tail Lash" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (22) -- [23]
AE: "Dinosaur Stampede!" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path) (11)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Area Attacks +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +14 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications: 

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 69 / Defenses: 16 (109)

BRONTOSAURUS HARNESS- 112 Equipment Points
Seats:
At Least Five (Front Pod for a few, two side chairs, rear pod)
Armour: Protection 2 (huge war platform on top) (2)
Weaponry: Front-Based Guns on Legs & Platform (Blast 12- Multiattack), Bomb Dropper (Blast 9- Area- 30ft. Burst- Diminished Range), Rear-Based Guns on Platform & Pod (Blast 10- Multiattack), Two Cables (Snare 9- Limited to Two Targets) (110)

-Now THIS is what the true centrepiece of the Dino-Riders line would have been, if not for the fact that it was BRUTALLY expensive, and brought out right when the line was fading away from stores. As it was, I never even saw it as a kid (I only saw its "teaser" pics in the back of one of the other toys, and that was just a DRAWING of it!), and I didn't even know they made a real one until I was an adult looking up this stuff on the computer. But WHAT a toy- a monstrous, three-foot dinosaur with a humungous battle harness, guns out of every which way, three figures with it, additional mini-dinosaurs, etc. This toy was like the Metroplex or Fortress Maximus of the Dino-Riders line. The Brontosaurus actually showed up in a couple episodes, being a massive result of a push by the Valorians and Rulons to harness the beast's might to their side. It went both ways (thanks to a Rulon brain-box), but I think it eventually went free in the end, as the Valorians understood that it didn't want to be harnessed or something. Pretty much a two-episode commercial for how awesome this toy would be. God I wish I had one. But it's like six-hundred bucks now :).

-OR IS IT? Actually, you can pick one up for a bit less than that if you don't care about some minor bits missing. I ended up buying a largely-complete one from a French guy who had a TON of other figures, so I got a good deal on him shipping a GIGANTIC box (seriously about four feet long) to me. The armor is a bit simple, which is too bad- it's just a giant "catwalk" going around the figure, with a pod on the back that seats three. Two smaller gun-pods are on the catwalk, along with an unmanned Blaster-Pod, a "Landing Pad" (for his small dinos), a Chute (for the mines), and a Crane that can get one of three hooks attached to it. These hook bits- a couple millimetres long in some cases- will be the hardest things to find, along with the mines (which come in two pieces)- get one without them, and you've got a much cheaper figure. Those things ALONE will cost you $30 apiece, at least. And then there's the guns FOR HIS FEET. There's about six huge guns, six medium guns, and six TINY guns on the figure!

-Possibly the neatest "extra" in the entire like is the trio of Rhamphorhynchus beasties that come hooked onto the sides of the creature. These three guys are made of mobile rubber, unlike every single other thing in Dino-Riders (save the tubes on the Wart Hog), which is hard plastic. They're actually VERY well-detailed for something so tiny (they're smaller than the human figures)

-A huge (Growth 10) monster with extreme reach, the Brontosaurus is the most highly-armed and powerful of all the Dino-Riders dinosaurs. It can hit from virtually any distance away, is virtually immune to most harm (Toughness +15!), hits with +15 damage, etc. An epic powerhouse, hampered only by the fact that it came with two generic guys & Serena, rather than Questar. But in the cartoon, it'd usually be Questar & company astride it instead of the Diplodocus. Also, the toon's version carried some super-costly experimental cannon that could blow up just about anything, and single-handedly chased off the Rulon army.

-Laying it all out on the table regarding the name, here: It's BRONTOSAURUS! An initial, awesome name was given to this creature because of some complicated politics involving paleontologists, and it was given an incorrect head- the robust skull of a Camarasaurus was assumed to be the proper one. Science quickly discovered the real, elongated skull, and an old taxon for such a creature was used instead- the much lamer Apatosaurus. Seriously, what would you rather have? Deceptive Lizard? Or THUNDER LIZARD? So thanks to some paleontological ass-hattery, we have a much-lamer-named creature, but I say thee NAY! Every time I will ever refer to such a creature, it will always be a Brontosaurus. Screw scientific naming rules. Screw "Apatosaurus". Such a beast deserves the name "Brontosaurus".

RHAMPHORHYNCHUS
Pronounciation:
RAM-for-INK-us ("beak nose")
Role: Tiny Flier, Horde Animal
PL 1 (16)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 4
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -2 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+3)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Close Combat 2

Powers:
"Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -2, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dinosaurs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable (Area Attacks)- Being so tiny means that Rhamphorhynchi are subject to Area Attacks when struck by anything Human-size or larger. As such, humans and other creatures can strike many of them with melee attacks at once, or provoke Dodge Checks despite missing with a Close Attack.

Total: Abilities: -12 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 4 (16)

RHAMPHORHYNCHUS WEAPONS- 90 Equipment Points
Weaponry:
Bombs (Damage 10- Area- 30ft. Burst) (30)
Jabroniville

Cavemen

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

NEANDERTHAL CAVEMAN TEMPLATE
Role:
Cavemen Allies
PL 5 (78)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 8 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+3)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Spear) 3 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Equipment 5 (Spear, Harness), Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Sidekick 12 (Giant Sloth), Teamwork

Equipment:
"Sharpened Stick or Rock-Headed Spear" 
"Thrown" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 3) (4) -- (5)
AE: "Stab" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Spear +3 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Thrown Spear +4 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blasters +5 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications: 
Responsibility (Savage)- The Cavemen are a little less civilized than the Valorians. In the toyline, they're even ultra-apelike and hairy!

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 27 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (78)

-The "Ice Age" line is the fourth and final one for Dino-Riders, getting only one Straight-To-Video episode. In it, the Commandos go forward in time to grab some help against a Rulon attack, and get involved in a squabble between the tribe of Kub- a Cro-Magnon, and Zar- a Neanderthal. This led to four new Animals in the line, each of which having a whole different "size" and level of quality to their harnesses. The toyline ignored the show's depiction of the characters (Kub & Maya basically resemble humans) and made them all ape-like creatures who were wearing loincloths and were permanently hunched over. This means you can't see their eyes when they're standing straight up, which is unusual for ANY toy, really. 

-"Cavemen" figures actually go for quite a lot on eBay if you want them individually, but I was able to luck out and not pay too much for most of mine- they're all the same figure with different colors, so I don't even go out of my way to find them- sometimes I just low-ball bids or end up with some in lots. They're that unique thing that exists in the later Dino-Riders line between Cavemen & Valorians- they're RARE, but not DESIRED. Meaning they're high-priced (because there's only a small handful out there!), but nobody actually WANTS them, thus meaning you see the same old stuff on eBay constantly.

-Most annoyingly, the cavemen are so similar in appearance that it's hard to tell which ones you have without looking it up online. The Mammoth rider is a black-colored one, at least.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.