Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Black Swan (The Pretentious One)

Post by Ken »

Sidious wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 pm I love how they were like "but you can't use X character. We killed them off over a year ago." and Hickman is all "Alternate universe, bitches!" Still the guy needed a firm editor to keep him on track. The Story jumps alone are confusing, throw in the Legion (see what I did there) of characters and people get lost.
"No, Mr. Hickman, you can't use Superman. He's not even a Marvel hero."
"Well, how about -um- Gladiator?"
"No. He's tied up with the Imperial Guard in the X- books, so he's tied up with the Fox license."
"How about Hyperion?"
"He's a villain."
"No, the heroic one from that 'Supreme'-something book."
"Could you be more specific? Earth-712 or Earth-31916?"
"Which one is one with the cape?"
"712."
"Ooo. But aren't they trapped on Earth-616?"
"Got sent home. Had to overthrow the government they helped establish."
"Messy. How about, I just bring in a different Hyperion from yet another Earth?"
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm BLACK SWAN II (Yabbat Ummon Turu)
Created By:
Jonathan Hickman & Steve Epting
First Appearance: New Avengers #1 (Jan. 2013)
Role: Sorta-Exposition Character
Group Affiliation: None
Isn't it a real pain trying to stat up these characters? At least in the 80's you would have long exposition on how they would get their powers and what they were. Now, you get fight scenes with a new power every issue.

I love how they were like "but you can't use X character. We killed them off over a year ago." and Hickman is all "Alternate universe, bitches!" Still the guy needed a firm editor to keep him on track. The Story jumps alone are confusing, throw in the Legion (see what I did there) of characters and people get lost.

Would have loved to see him and Wolfman work out the story , maybe with Perez for art. but now I'm just fan-boy dreaming.

Back to Black Swan, She was a member of the Black Swans (it's an order or something), The Cabal, and now the Black Order (Thanos' team of nihilists. Which doesn't make sense, but whatever.)
The worst one is still Nightmask. At least Captain Universe & Star Brand are shown with actual powers (sometimes without Hickman writing)- Nightmask stands as the ONLY AVENGER I absolutely cannot stat. Do you have any idea how much that annoys me? I have the entire set of them except for that guy :).
Jabroniville

Bookworm

Post by Jabroniville »

BOOKWORM (Nelson Gruber)
Created By:
Bob Budiansky & Rick Leonardi
First Appearance: Sleepwalker #4 (Sept. 1991)
Role: One-Off Villain, Empowered Nerd
Group Affiliations: None
PL 1 (69)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Pop Culture) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+6)
Technology 3 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Image Summoning"
Summon 5 (Extras: Active, Horde, 8 Minions +6, Controlled, Variable +2) (Flaws: Limited to Images From Books, Limited to Books He's Holding) [55]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Reputation (Bookworm)- Nelson is made fun of by a few people.
Rivalry (Whitney Cooper II)- Nelson hates Whitney (who calls him a "bookworm") so much that he tries to kill him when he gains powers.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 2 (69)

-Nelson Gruber was a bookish, uncharismatic nerd who gained image-summoning powers when he took part in an experiment that tested the brainwaves of Rick Sheridan, whose mind hosted the being known as Sleepwalker. Using his powers (which summoned images from books) to try and kill a fellow worker who'd disrespected him, he was stopped by Sleepwalker on two separate occasions- Sleepwalker confronted him while he was dining with Rick's girlfriend Amanda, who tricked Nelson by giving him some blank pages from her diary- this stunned him long enough for Sleepwalker to capture him. He has never reappeared in anything but his debut issue- a court order is mentioned, preventing him from gaining access to any other reading material.

-Nelson is a good example of a COMPLETELY incapable individual who suddenly gains great power- he can summon stuff up to and including a small tribe of amazons, Native Americans, a TANK and a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but all of them are pretty handily defeated by the PL 9-ish Sleepwalker, so none of them are really that powerful. This is a pretty effective, variable Summon power, while leaving himself totally vulnerable.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yojimbo

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bishop! Trevor Fitzroy! Basilisk! Black Swan! Beetles!)

Post by Yojimbo »

I was hoping for this guy:

Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 pm The worst one is still Nightmask. At least Captain Universe & Star Brand are shown with actual powers (sometimes without Hickman writing)- Nightmask stands as the ONLY AVENGER I absolutely cannot stat. Do you have any idea how much that annoys me? I have the entire set of them except for that guy :).
Well. if he's anything like the New Universe's Nightmask, I'd say dream travel powers. Or you could wait until for the inevitable new version of The Official Handbook &c.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Yojimbo wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 pm I was hoping for this guy:

I swear, everytime I see Roddy McDowell I always have to say "Now Charlie...there are no such things as vampires!"
Jabroniville

Black Goliath

Post by Jabroniville »

"BILL FOSTER - Dr. William Barrett Foster, DSc, PhD - a child of the GHETTO who has pulled himself up out of the Los Angeles slums to become director of one of the nation's most prestigious research labs. A man whose research has given him the power to instantaneously grow to a height of FIFTEEN FEET, with the strength of a TRUE GIANT. A man who has become... a HERO."
-The cover blurb for his debut

BLACK GOLIATH (Dr. Bill Foster, aka Giant-Man II, Goliath II)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #32 (Sept. 1966- as Foster), Power Man #24 (April 1975- as Goliath)
Role: Growing Guy, Black Counterpart, Sacrificial Lamb (for Civil War)
Group Affiliations: The Defenders, The Champions, Project: Pegasus, Center For Disease Control
PL 9 (107)
STRENGTH
4/9 STAMINA 4/9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+15) -- Flaws: Limited to Biological Sciences
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+10, +12 Size)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 5 (+10)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Inherent Pym Particles"
Growth 5 (Str & Sta +5, +5 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (15 feet) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Growth +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
"Normal Size" Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6
"Fifteen Feet Tall" Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +9, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Various Illnesses)- Foster gets radiation poisoning & cancer a bunch, thanks to fighting some D-League Radiation-casting villains.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 14 (107)

-Bill Foster is a funny little tale of comics- introduced as a black genius scientist in the mid-'60s (back when it would have been EXCEPTIONALLY-rare to see a black super-scientist. Stan Lee actually created a handful), he was later given Pym Particles after hanging around Ol' Wifeslapper for a while, and became "Black Goliath", one of those 1970s-styled heroes with "Black" in their name to showcase comics' newfound diversity. His name and costume were REALLY silly (an exposed belly? Really?), and he was one of the first "black versions of a white hero" to boot. His stuff never sold well, and he bounced between the lower-end books (The Defenders, The Thing, etc.), at one time ending up on Project Pegasus (which is basically a version of Marvel Limbo that also allows side-characters to come out and job in another hero's book every once in a while). At one time, he was the technical advisor to The Champions, then a member; at another point, he was The Thing's recurring partner in Ben's own book.

-He was frequently de-powered and/or made horribly ill (something that befalls women and minorities at a rather alarming rate), being cured of radiation poisoning (given to him while fighting a radioactive super-villain) by Jessica Drew, but lost his powers as a result. He ends up involved in the Evolutionary War, working for the High Evolutionary of all people, but realizes how evil his boss is, and alerts the powerhouse squad of... Mockingbird, Tigra and Moon Knight? However, the four minor-leaguers destroy The Most Powerful Jobber Ever's base... but Bill's revealed to have cancer. It gets cured eventually- it was being held off because he had some cancer-free mass added to his body, making him a permanent Giant for a while, but this was never mentioned again. Then all of a sudden he's de-powered because of a blood transfusion from Jessica Drew that cures some radiation poisoning he'd received. He gives the role to Hawkeye, briefly takes it back... then loses them again due to something that afflicted all Pym Particle-users but Hank Pym.

-He was basically cast into Marvel Limbo, doing nothing for years- stuff like an "urban team" of himself, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Brother Voodoo & The Falcon)- until finally showing up OUT OF NOWHERE in Civil War as a guy who was supposedly a big part of the "Anti-Registration" movement- most comic fans could be forgiven for not even knowing who he WAS (seriously, I'd never even heard of him), and yet he was one of Cap's major lieutenants, only to be killed by Ragnarok, the cloned Thor. This was passed off as some kind of big "watershed" moment in the war, turning a lot of heroes to the other side, and a huge tragedy and all, but it just comes across as weird since he was an eternal D-League character- his death just WASN'T THAT BIG A DEAL, ya know? It was like... if you were gonna kill a character to make a statement, kill a KNOWN one, ya know? It comes off as silly you try to make a statement by offing a minor character. And let's face it- Marvel was NOT above pointlessly-killing known characters for no reason other than to end an Event with a death (The Wasp during Secret Invasion was a big one- she was a C-Lister, and even SHE didn't stay dead for more than a minute!). Maybe they figured since he was so minor, nobody was ever going to bring him back, and so it would maintain gravitas instead of being reversed?

-Bill's nephew Tom would take on his legacy, gaining Pym Particles of his own. Foster himself would "live on" in a sense after Hank Pym built an artificial "Heaven" for his late friend's brain engrams.

-Foster's a PL 9 Growth Guy, and was probably a PL 8 for most of his run (probably +8/+8). He doesn't do a ton of damage (though he CAN Power Attack for more), and he's no elite fighter, but he's a balanced offensive guy. Like most Growth Guys, he's on a lower-tier defensively since he's relatively easy to hit. As you can see, he's a smart guy, but he lacks the years of solid experience to build up much of a non-Grappled-based fighting style, and so he's quite cheap compared to his PL.

ha. Irony.

BLACK GOLIATH (Dr. Bill Foster, aka Giant-Man II, Goliath II)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #32 (Sept. 1966- as Foster), Power Man #24 (April 1975- as Goliath)
Role: Growing Guy, Black Equivalent, Sacrificial Lamb (for "Civil War")
Group Affiliations: The Defenders, The Champions, Project: Pegasus, Center For Disease Control
PL 10 (115)
STRENGTH
4/11 STAMINA 4/11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+15) -- Flaws: Limited to Biological Sciences
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+10, +12 Size)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 5 (+10)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Inherent Pym Particles"
Growth 7 (Str & Sta +7, +7 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -7 Stealth) -- (24 feet) [14]
Growth 1 (+8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Increases) [1]
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 1 (Flaws: Limited to Top Size) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Growth +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
"Normal Size" Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6
"Twenty-Four Feet Tall" Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11, Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Various Illnesses)- Foster gets radiation poisoning & cancer a bunch, thanks to fighting some D-League Radiation-casting villains.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 16 (115)

-By the time he died, he was probably a PL 10, since he could grow larger (about 25 feet- I'd probably limit him to +10-11 Damage). 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Since Laurence Fishburne will be playing him in the forthcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp, I'd say there's a good chance that he'll be coming back soon.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

oh that's cool. I was wondering who Black Wifeslapper (what's love got to do with it?) was playing in there.

makes perfect sense now though.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 am oh that's cool. I was wondering who Black Wifeslapper (what's love got to do with it?) was playing in there.

makes perfect sense now though.
well this is the first time I've ever associated the name of Ant-Man with spousal abuse.
DominusExMachina

Post by DominusExMachina »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:13 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 amOh that's cool. I was wondering who Black Wifeslapper (what's love got to do with it?) was playing in there.

Makes perfect sense now though.
Well, this is the first time I've ever associated the name of Ant-Man with spousal abuse.
Black Goliath...a WIFEBEATER!?! That's news to me...

And in all fairness, it's been implied (both in the comics and the movies, and to varying degrees of heaviness) that prolonged exposure to Pym particles can adversely affect human neurochemistry...
Davies

Post by Davies »

DominusExMachina wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:36 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:13 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 amOh that's cool. I was wondering who Black Wifeslapper (what's love got to do with it?) was playing in there.

Makes perfect sense now though.
Well, this is the first time I've ever associated the name of Ant-Man with spousal abuse.
Black Goliath...a WIFEBEATER!?! That's news to me...
He's referring to when Mr. Fishburne portrayed Ike Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It? (1993)
Jabroniville

Bounty

Post by Jabroniville »

BOUNTY (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
George Perez, J.M. DeMatteis & Ron Garney
First Appearance: The Silver Surfer #123 (Dec. 1996)
Role: One-Off Villain, '90s Bad Guy, Bounty Hunter IN SPACE
Group Affiliations: The Coalition
PL 10 (147)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Alien Spacefarer) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Equipment 7 (Space Gear), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Personal Force Field" (Flaws: Removable) [14]
Force Field 4 (Extras: Impervious 13) (17 points)

"Cosmic-Leeching Gauntlets" (Flaws: Removable) [40]
Weaken Cosmic Power 12 (Extras: Ranged, Broad, Simultaneous) (48) -- (49 points)
  • AE: Blast 12 (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Weaken Cosmic Powers +8 (+12 Ranged Weaken, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +10, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (The Coalition Forces)- The Coalition threatens Bounty's race with genocide unless he kills the Silver Surfer.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 7 (147)

-Bounty is a SUPER-'90s creation- a Karidian alien empowered by The Coalition Forces in order to kill the Silver Surfer after he beat the Forces in battle. Threatening Bounty's entire race if he doesn't comply, Bounty is altered by the Coalition and turned into a living weapon. Bounty is easily defeated by the Surfer, who allies with him and saves Karidia from a doomsday device of the Coalition's creation- they part as friends, and he's never seen again.

-Bounty is one of those guys who's supposed to be built to fight THE SILVER SURFER, so you'd imagine he'd be really hard to beat, but then Norrin goes and wipes him out with apparent ease, so he's obviously not that great. I figure he's got a great deal of power, but lacks the experience or desire to use it properly, so he's only +6 to hit and defenses, lacking the skill to go along with his might.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Brainstorm

Post by Jabroniville »

BRAINSTORM (Jimmy)
Created By:
Ann Nocenti & Cindy Martin
First Appearance: Web of Spider-Man #33 (Dec. 1987)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (95)
STRENGTH
2/4/7 STAMINA 3/5/8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6/10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Madman's Rage"
Enhanced Strength 2 [4]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [4]
Enhanced Fighting 4 [8]
Enhanced Advantages 4: All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack [4]
Immunity 2 (Pain Effects) [2]

"Reptilian Enhancements"
Enhanced Strength & Stamina 3 [12]
"Image Projection" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Raging +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Raging Reptile +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Image Projection -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+5 Raging, +8 Reptile), Fortitude +4 (+6 Raging, +9 Reptile), Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Insane)- Jimmy's mind is so far gone that there's no hope saving him- he started off crazy, and only got worse thanks to his training.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 11 (95)

-Brainstorm started life as a young boy with mental problems, and he ended up under the care of a Doctor Hope of the "Mad Dog Ward", who decided to train him into becoming an assassin for The Kingpin, by manipulating the boy into carrying out missions while under the illusion that he was dreaming. This made him guilt-free and unable to feel any pain- an ideal killer. Brainstorm fought Spider-Man, but was easily defeated. Hope then engaged in further experimentation, which turned Jimmy into an inhuman, reptilian monster after unlocking the ancient, "reptilian" parts of the human brain. He nearly killed Spidey, but was stopped by a combination of a "Captain Zero" (another Mad Dog vet) helping, and an ear-clap from Spider-Man. These two issues are the only times he's appeared.

-Brainstorm is an unusual sort- his base form is a pain-free, Raging monster of a man who is nonetheless only PL 7-ish- no match for Spider-Man. But his reptilian version is a dangerous Perception-Ranged attacker with an Affliction and much greater physicality.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Black Talon (Horta)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BLACK TALON I (Pascal Horta)
Created By:
Otto Binder & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Captain America Comics #9 (1941)
Role: Most Racist Idea Ever
Group Affiliation: None
PL 6 (49)
STRENGTH
1/3 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 0/8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Artist) 4 (+7)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"The Hand of a Black Serial Killer"
"Super-Strangulation" Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Grappling) [2]

"Imbued With a Serial Killer's Savagery"
Enhanced Fighting 8 [16]
Enhanced Advantages 5: All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Black Man's Hand +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Serial Killer)- Pascal is a good man, but is driven by the desires of the black man's hand he now possesses. He must commit murders.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 2 (49)

-I swear to God I am not making this character up. The first Black Talon was Pascal Horta, a painter who lost his hand in an auto accident. Undergoing experimental surgery, he was given the hand of a black serial killer named "Strangler Burns", who was put to death. The serial killer blood in his new hand overcame Horta's peaceful nature and drove him to commit murders- he fought Captain America, but was defeated, and never seen again, because Jesus Christ! Somebody ACTUALLY WROTE THIS STORY.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.