Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Pegasus

Post by Jabroniville »

PEGASUS (Real Name Unknown)
Role:
Flying Hero
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 7 (+12)
Insight 4 (+5)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defenses, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications: 
Relationship (Le Bruiser)- The two are close allies, constantly seen near each other.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 11 (90)

-Pegasus has a REALLY beautiful design- Tom Nauck draws girls with these kind of odd-shaped faces, but her design is just nifty. That blonde hair, those big wings, and that distinctive green & white costume (never make "Winged Hero" designs too complex- the wings are the main thing for the eyes to see)- it's cool. Unfortunately, she basically does nothing of note in the series, usually communicating with Le Bruiser and talking to him as if he were speaking a language she understood. She's a curious case, in that she & Bruiser have by far the least amount of characterization on the team, yet actually managed to SURVIVE the absolute crap-ton of kill-fests that make up the Invincible series. She's even seen in the future, still part of the Guardians.

-Like most Fliers, Pegasus has issues making PL- flight in and of itself, is not a major power boost, you know? She's strong enough to carry Yeti around, though.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bulletproof! Brit! Viltrumites! Atom Eve!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm guessing fliers are supposed to make a lot of use of the Charge and Slam actions, but those have their own disadvantages and are still limited to caps.
Jabroniville

Robot

Post by Jabroniville »

ROBOT (Rudy Conners, aka Rex)
Role:
The Smart Guy, Hero Turned Dictator
PL 9 (143)
STRENGTH
1/7 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 9 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 12 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+15)
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 6 (+7)
Technology 7 (+16)
Treatment 4 (+13)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Eidetic Memory, Equipment 4 (Various Tools & Radio Broadcasters), Inventor, Leadership, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Skill Mastery 2 (Science, Technology), Teamwork, Ultimate Technology Skill

Powers:
"Robot Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 3) (9)
Leaping 2 (30 feet) (2)
Senses 4 (Infravision, Extended Vision, Rapid Vision, Detect Radio Waves) (4)
-- (27 points)

Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2 (+8 Armor, +2 Impervious), Fortitude +4, Will +10

Complications:
Relationship (Monster Girl)- Robot cared for Monster Girl during their time on the renewed Guardians of the Globe, and wooed her when he finally took the form of a normal-looking boy. The two grew to love each other, becoming inseparable during their centuries within the Flaxan Empire's world. However, the two split apart during the fall of his reign there, and they became enemies on Earth when he ultimately betrays her. He weeps as he tosses her out of airlock, and she only barely survives.
Enemy (Invincible)- Robot sees the Viltrumites as an unacceptable danger to his reign over Earth, and so made sure Mark was out of the way, first.
Motivation (Control)- Robot wishes to control the world, seeing himself as the only one who can maintain order. After hundreds of years on the Flaxan homeworld, he grew too used to being in charge, did some horrible things to maintain order, and could justify anything to himself. It changed him utterly- he realizes he wants to do the same thing on Earth, while fixing his "mistakes".
Responsibility (Apart From Humanity)- Having lived as a fetus in a jar since he was born, Robot does not relate to "normal people"- he confesses to Mark (who's gone into his teenage self's body, back in time) that he often fears what he'd be capable of in the future- if he could "justify" any kind of action to himself.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 15 (143)

Robot- Inhuman Hero:
-Robot's one of the bigger recurring characters in Invincible, starting out as an actual robot controlled from afar by the mental impulses of a mutated, deformed fetus-like teenager. Robot thus did a lot of character growth during this time- he seemed vaguely creepy at first, making fans suspect he was evil- his face never changed (it was an immobile robot's head), he seemed very emotionally blank about things (when he's offered to stay on the Guardians after being dumped as leader, he just goes "I'll stay. For now."), and more. When the Guardians of the Globe were killed, he was put in charge of the new group, but was insulted for being too slow in organizing the team to battle, and eventually FIRED- Cecil was disgusted with his performance, but left him on in an advisory role to The Immortal- this, like numerous subplots, went nowhere and was largely dropped.

-The grossness of his pained "normal" form led to the creation of a cloned body due to the help of the Mauler Twins, which led to the modern incarnation of "Robot"- now a 12-year old boy in a robotic harness suit like Iron Man. Here, he started a relationship with Monster Girl (herself a near-adult woman in the body of a younger girl), forming much of the backbone of the book's super-heroic supporting cast. He did well on the Guardians, openly mourned the loss of Rex Splode (eventually taking his name in tribute), and aided Mark in various circumstances, including quitting the Guardians when Cecil attacked Mark. His loyalty, bravery and heroism were quite notable.

Robot In Another World:
-And then he impulsively leaped into a portal when the Flaxans (recurring enemies of Earth) invaded once more, "detecting" that this might be their last chance. He and Monster Girl ended up imprisoned there for "a few years" their time, popping up one "Earth year" later, both having aged to young adulthood. Little was explained about what they'd been up to, only that they were now torn apart as a couple. Eventually, we'd get the whole story- they weren't imprisoned for a FEW years- they were imprisoned for CENTURIES. Seven-hundred years had passed from their perspective! Neither aging much during the span (the Flaxan dimension operated under different time-rules to Earth's), they'd loved each other "more than anyone else has ever loved", but when Robot finally instigated his decades-long plan to rule the Flaxan Empire, they grew apart. His obsessiveness and cruelty to some of the Flaxans (he'd usurped a ruling family) drove her into the arms of a lover (her male "Monster" form impregnating a female), resulting in the birth of a powerful son. He was usurped himself, but won back the planet, killing most of his foes and deciding to abandon the Flaxans' world and return to Earth.

Robot Goes Evil:
-The pair thus abandoned the Empire for Earth- with Robot being unwilling to forgive Monster Girl. After a brief return to courting, Robot reveals to MG that he'd grown used to power on the Flaxan world, and disliked being a nobody on Earth. And that he was now able to "fix" the mistakes he'd made on another world- he planned now to fix all of Earth's problems. They'd capture Monster Girl's son, and eventually Robot would make a grab for power on his HOME planet, too- he exiled Mark in a parallel universe ("Holy FUCK" was Mark's response- the only time an "F-Bomb" ever got dropped in Invincible), executed Cecil Stedman, and engaged in a military coup over the entire globe. Many of the Guardians of the Globe were killed (including Shapesmith and Black Samson), while the rest went into exile. When some of them regathered their might, they came to accept Robot as a "proper" ruler, as he'd legitimately improved the world as a hidden dictator- he accepted some of them back into his army. Invincible, feeling like a failure, abandoned Earth, leaving Robot in charge.

-Years and years later, Mark would be living in space, a time-skip had happened while he was in another dimension/timeline, and he would stop Grand Regent Thragg- this led directly to him returning to Earth, deciding to fight Robot after all. Most of the Guardians quickly turned on their boss, and Mark defeated him with ludicrous ease (especially considering he has weapons and armor that CAN kill Viltrumites)- Monster Girl picking out the "right" Robot, and Mark executing him in outer space. However, realizing that Robot's decision-making prowess was unmatched, he kept the BRAIN alive, and because Kirkman loves writing himself out of difficult situations this way, Robot was all "No, it's probably BETTER this way", and gladly accepts the new status quo- he is once again an immobilized genius, giving orders to others. With The Immortal in charge of Earth, Robot is now simply an advisor, based off of pure logic. In the final issue, he cops to loneliness, even Monster Girl ignoring conversation with him.

Robot's Character Arc:
-Robot ends up as one of the most interesting characters in Invincible- a helpful genius, he's a big part of the backstory and circumstances of Mark's early hero days, forming a new Guardians and being central to the Teen Team. His crush on Monster Girl is a bit creepy to me (he clearly likes her, and clones a body specifically at her aparent age so she'll be closer to him), and eventually leads him to foolishly leap into the Flaxan homeworld, where at first he comes off like a shell-shocked veteran, but learning the whole story makes him appear to be a very well-rounded "I did what I had to do" kind of villain. Trying to protect other worlds, he changes the Flaxan culture from within, but does the things that make dictators what they are, such as horribly punishing aggressors and instigators, becoming a bit of a monster at the same time as he's saving lives.

-And his return to Earth, culminating with his "well, logically I am the best person to be in charge" rationality of events, felt extremely organic. Ultimately, he becomes the Big Bad of the series, even over the monstrous Thragg- Robot is just so coldly able to justify any of his actions to himself in honor of "The Greater Good", and has more of an effect on Earth than Thragg ever did- you see him murder many innocent people (including several heroes), then have the nerve to actually MOURN THEM, as he feels their deaths were necessary. There are some nice scenes where he shows up at the funerals of Samson, KO & Kid Thor, with Mark & Eve looking disgusted at him. The fact that his genius actually makes him able to keep world order makes so many people rationalize that the loss of freedom is worth it. It's complex, fascinating and well-rounded stuff.

Robot's Abilities:
-Robot is a pretty minor-league superhero, and gets worse the more "Robot" drones are out there, as is tradition in comics when a hero has multiple "bodies". Initially a pretty solid PL 8-9, Robot bodies are pretty soon mere cannon fodder, easily torn asunder by bad guys. His genius is remarkable, however, and his Deception grows as the series does- he starts out kind of normal, but his dictatorial prowess overwhelms him. Later "Robot" drones can include various kinds of gear- one has Blasts, another has Energy Fists- that sort of thing.

-The "Robot Drones" are basically like this, but with the requisite Immunity to Fortitude Effects- Robot can control them mentally. DOZENS, if necessary. Sometimes it's a really heavy-duty super-form (Extra Limbs 2, Protection +4, Strength +2), but we almost never see it fighting.

ROBOT- ELITE DRONE
Role:
Controlled Drone
PL 11 (120)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 12 (Extras: Impervious 7) [19]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]
Senses 4 (Infravision, Extended Vision, Rapid Vision, Detect Radio Waves) [4]
Energy Blast 12 [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Energy Blast +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +12 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 95 / Defenses: 7 (120)

-Robot has a lot of low-end Drones, but eventually develops some MAJOR ones when he enacts his takeover of Earth. One of them slaughters some of the Guardians of the Globe, wiping out Yeti, Kid Thor & Knockout with one shot each, slaying the latter two.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Atom Eve! Young Omni-Man! Pegasus! Robot!)

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm glad that this set has proven to me that I can create "multiple images per character" posts about people BESIDES characters to whom I am perversely attracted :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Holy crap, Black Panther was pretty cool. LOVED how utterly unique it was- like sticking a sci-fi world into the "real world", but keeping it grounded enough (more like one high-tech lab and some spaceships) that it didn't feel too "out there". All of the crazy costumes were EXCELLENT, as if it was some kind of celebration of a Pan-African concept (usually, that's something people COMPLAIN about, but I guess here it was BY black people, so it's cool :)). Dish-Lip Guy was my favorite :).

Shuri was AMAZING, and far better than the "ambitious younger sister" in the comics, who is frankly rather annoying. Here, she was adorable, petulant and funny, but also basically "Cute, Black M" from James Bond. I wholeheartedly approve, especially of her battle costume.

The Dora Milaje were pretty bad-ass. A Priest element that was more or less unchanged (though I dunno of the Milaje were allowed to have boyfriends in the comics, given they were "Ceremonial Wives"). GREAT "Good Guy Mooks", and the bad-ass one was pretty awesome.

I liked Killmonger- a Villain With Purpose, where you could kind of understand why he turned out that way. He was Chaotic Evil in a way that didn't make him a slavering, slobbering psychopath- he was more of a cold, calculating monster, willing to pay back all the wrongs done to him (being left in a poor part of the world, and seeing the evils men can wreak on each other), and basically burn everything down because of it. He basically was like Magneto, in that he allowed what happened to him (and, broadly, his people) to justify unspeakable actions which actually MIMIC the oppressors. The "Dark Shadow of Imperialism" was strong with him. "The Sun Will Never Set on the Wakandan Empire", indeed.

I liked how Wakanda was this Utopia, but made out to be rather selfish and "non-perfect". Hiding and hoarding their gifts was treated as a complex issue- not black or white. And the debate over what the wealthy/powerful "owe" their brothers was done in an interesting way, with no clear answers. And it certainly didn't excuse Wakanda's isolationist policy.

T'Challa himself was okay, but one of the characters I was least-interested in. His buddy who sides with Killmonger, Killmonger himself, Nakia, Okoye & Shuri were all really more well-rounded characters who I ended up liking a lot more.

A nation of black guys who worship gorillas and make gorilla noises? Yeah, good thing it was mostly black people involved in the making of this movie :).

A little too much "Mirror Image Fight" and "Blur Vision" with the battles of the Panthers.

Too bad we'll never have a proper "Masters of Evil" from all the villains in these movies, though :).

And of course DC's gotta be annoyed at Marvel basically going "okay, Wonder Woman was great; now watch THIS" and making a definitive "Black Movie" to rival WW's "Woman's Movie", and getting a similarly-huge reaction for it. Especially since Justice League was a disappointment.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:34 am And of course DC's gotta be annoyed at Marvel basically going "okay, Wonder Woman was great; now watch THIS" and making a definitive "Black Movie" to rival WW's "Woman's Movie", and getting a similarly-huge reaction for it. Especially since Justice League was a disappointment.
Probably true. But I'm going to be put myself in the probable minority and say that Wonder Woman was better. Or, if "better" is too strong a word, I definitely found WW more entertaining.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:34 am A nation of black guys who worship gorillas and make gorilla noises? Yeah, good thing it was mostly black people involved in the making of this movie :).
This was my biggest takeaway, as a lifelong comic book nerd. The film not only managed to make Man-Ape work as a concept and a character, but they made him awesome. Like, not even Priest could do that.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:15 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:34 am A nation of black guys who worship gorillas and make gorilla noises? Yeah, good thing it was mostly black people involved in the making of this movie :).
This was my biggest takeaway, as a lifelong comic book nerd. The film not only managed to make Man-Ape work as a concept and a character, but they made him awesome. Like, not even Priest could do that.
My personal take (and I admit I might be very biased here) was that the "gorilla noise" scene was pretty much M'Baku's way to tell tell Agent Ross "Shut up and be grateful you're still in one piece". Admitedly it could have been achieved in a number of other ways (e.g. having the entire dialogue in Wakandan or another African language that Ross couldn't understand), but I think it worked because it conveyed the idea that the Jabari are basically fantasy barbarians in a present day Earth.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Monster Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

MONSTER GIRL (Amanda)
Role:
Powerhouse, Hottie (or Kid) With Ugly Form
PL 10 (110)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Intitiative, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
Leaping 4 (120 feet) [4]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +11 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Robot)- Robot cared for Monster Girl during their time on the renewed Guardians of the Globe, and wooed her when he finally took the form of a normal-looking boy. The two grew to love each other, becoming inseparable during their centuries within the Flaxan Empire's world. However, the two split apart during the fall of his reign there, and they became enemies on Earth.
Relationship (Son)- Monster Girl fathered (yes) a child with a Flaxan Princess during their time off-world. Their son returned to Earth in order to fight Robot, and allied with his "father", Monster Girl.
Normal Identity (Human)- Monster Girl's "combat form" is that of a male monster. Ordinarily, she is a young human female- initially, taking "Monster" form diminished the age of her baseline form, rendering her younger and younger. Only wearing a belt of Robot's creation could halt this process- it takes a "DNA Snapshot" of herself right before transformation, so she returns to her same age. Because of this, she is about ten years older than she actually looks, until she enters the Flaxan dimension, where this is extended to centuries.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 13 (110)

-Monster Girl's one of the bigger supporting characters- a 29-year old girl trapped in an increasingly-younger body thanks to a Gypsy curse (one of the only times Magic is used in this book, actually), who nonetheless uses her powers for good, as one of the Global Guardians' powerhouses. Her bravery in these circumstances is actually glossed over a fair bit, as it's quite clear she loses age every time she transforms, but still does so because her powers are needed. The search for a "cure" to her fatal flaw had finally been found by Robot after much searching, and her character's made a nice shift from a grumpy-ass angry girl into a more noble and happy woman. At least now she can start aging normally.

-Robot, who was clearly attracted to her from the start, entered into a relationship with Monster Girl, but the two split apart during their years trapped in the Flaxan dimension- MG "fathering" a child with a Flaxan Princesses (the Monster form is apparently male), before returning to Robot and helping him take the world back. Now aged back into an attractive young woman (getting hit on by various males), she ends up joining a rebellion against Robot's rule, but is beaten back, along with her son.

-Monster Girl is thus one of those weird characters- she's very important to the overall narrative to the series, and gets more characterization than almost any Non-Viltrumite character in the book (only Allen, Immortal & Robot get more). Yet we never even find out her last name, nor do we ever see her parents. And she acts with none of the wisdom or gravitas of someone who is over seven-hundred years old.

-Monster Girl's a pretty good PL 10, but falls to PL 9 points-value, since like alot of half-seen Invincible characters, she hasn't been shown doing much other than conversing and fighting. Despite the fact that she's one of the strongest super-heroes on Earth, she's still a mere Jobber To The Stars, going down off-panel to beings like the Sequids, and being helpless before the Viltrumites' power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Flaxans

Post by Jabroniville »

THE FLAXANS
Role:
Mook Army

-The Flaxans were an odd bit in Invincible- throwaway background villains who actually became VERY important to the overall narrative. Four-antennaed green-skinned aliens, they would invade Earth every year or so, but eventually get beaten back once the heroes discovered their weakness- time moves differently in their world, and so they rapidly-age if their "chronal decelerators" or whatever are taken out. Once they kidnap Omni-Man for a week or two, creating a minor background thing in a single issue (this is before he's revealed to be evil)- Mark and his mom gloss it over, but she secretly worries, and sheds a single grateful tear when her husband returns.

-They reappear twice more, the first time being very troublesome (Mark is not present, because he's off doing some other thing), and the second causing the abduction of Robot & Monster Girl. The pair go through a portal alone, attempting to stop the Flaxans (who improve their armada every single time, meaning their threat is growing), but are captured. And, given the time issues, they wait there for seven-hundred years before they finally leave- they were in captivity for decades, then slowly foment a rebellion, first among the slave classes (all Flaxan invasions are to get slaves to do all of their manual labor- Flaxans are soldiers, as a rule), then against rivals to the ruling Flaxan family.

-Robot finally takes control of the entire planet, altering their culture to be less warlike and invasion-happy, but he and Monster Girl break up over his mistreatment of some of his enemies, and they eventually return to Earth. The Flaxans thus invade once more, being led by Monax- son of Monster Girl and a Flaxan Princess.

-The Flaxans themselves are not that interesting- it's the storytelling opportunities they present that are. Their abduction of Omni-Man is a good bit of "character establishment" early on in the series (we get to see the "nothing phases us... but actually it kinda does" aspect of superheroics on the family), and of course the whole Robot/Monster Girl thing, which makes them a much bigger part of the series than they were beforehand.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Young Omni-Man! Pegasus! Robot! Monster Girl!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Funny- the biggest complaint of the series is the non-Viltrumites don't matter. so I post the two biggest non-Viltrumite characters in succession and they get no comments compared to Viltrumites :).
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

For Robot... eh, I don't know. They spent so much time hinting at him being evil and never following through that when he finally went evil it was pretty lackluster. And honestly disappointing.

And I can't help but shake my head. Invincible teams up with a homicidal super genius villain to make the world a better place while he happens to be friends with a (or at least so we thought) well adjusted super genius superhero.
I think I'd have been more interested in seeing Robot and Mark trying to make the world a better place.

As for Monster Girl... for all the face time she gets you really don't learn a whole heck of a lot about her. She was the sort who didn't like people telling her what to do, wanted to do her own thing and... You know after that, barring a few cute scenes with Robot I don't really remember her showing much growth or change that wasn't done off screen.
Jabroniville

Monax

Post by Jabroniville »

MONAX
Role:
Powerhouse, Long-Lost Son
PL 10 (106)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 6 (+9, +10 Size)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Intitiative, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
Leaping 4 (120 feet) [4]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +11 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications: 
Relationship (Monster Girl- Father)- Monax is actually the son of Monster Girl's monstrous form and a Flaxan Princess.
Enemy (Robot)- Monax believes that Robot is responsible for the destruction of his people's world.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 12 (106)

-Monax reveals himself at the culmination of the "Robot & Monster Girl trapped in the Flaxan dimension" story arc. The two heroes engage in Robot's centuries-long struggle to not only take over the world, but to alter its very culture, thus negating their threat to humanity. Unfortunately, Robot's discrimination against the former elite ruling class leads to a lot of problems, and eventually the more compassionate Monster Girl cheats on him a Flaxan Princess, fathering (!!) a son, who resembles a Flaxan version of Monster Girl's monstrous form. This child, Monax, eventually leads an invasion force against Earth, defeating most of the superheroes before finally being beaten. He is imprisoned by Robot, but eventually breaks free, along with his "father" and other heroes, then joins the resistance staged by Invincible much later. Monax later shows up on the Guardians team.

-Monax is essentially equivalent to Monster Girl in every important way, though was packing some impressive gear in his first appearance that enhanced his durability and punches, bringing him up another PL. Monax is a bit hard to assess, as after this battle, he literally never matters to the plot again, not even getting involved in the revolution against Robot.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Yeti

Post by Jabroniville »

THE YETI
Role:
Super-Powered Child
PL 8 (78)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Frost Giant)- Yeti is actually an immature Frost Giant.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 10 (78)

-I REALLY thought The Yeti was dumb in Guarding the Globe- having what looked like a wide-jawed face in the center of his upper torso looked REALLY STUPID, turning what was normally my favorite archetype (Super-Strong Guy) and making him lame. So imagine my surprise when of course Ryan Ottley could draw him amazingly well, making him look more inhuman and more broad, which turned into a much better design. One of those reasons Ottley is the master. The other version combines "Uncanny Valley" with "Dumb Creative Decisions", and is just bad.

-The Yeti is actaully an immature Frost Giant, which got him temporarily booted from the team when he turned out to be underage. He returned, however, but never got any focus- he's badly injured by a Robot Drone during the takeover, but recovers and ends up joining him in the end. I figure him for a PL 8- he was strong, but generally didn't stand out on a team with Monster Girl on it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 am For Robot... eh, I don't know. They spent so much time hinting at him being evil and never following through that when he finally went evil it was pretty lackluster. And honestly disappointing.

And I can't help but shake my head. Invincible teams up with a homicidal super genius villain to make the world a better place while he happens to be friends with a (or at least so we thought) well adjusted super genius superhero.
I think I'd have been more interested in seeing Robot and Mark trying to make the world a better place.

As for Monster Girl... for all the face time she gets you really don't learn a whole heck of a lot about her. She was the sort who didn't like people telling her what to do, wanted to do her own thing and... You know after that, barring a few cute scenes with Robot I don't really remember her showing much growth or change that wasn't done off screen.
Yeah, like I mentioned with her... she didn't even get a LAST NAME. And I did pick up on the "character development off-screen" stuff, particularly since Kirkman loves doing the "snippets of storytelling" stuff- their whole time in the Flaxan dimension mostly showed a handful of conversations, often separated by YEARS. Their break-up, make-up, her struggling with the Flaxan language, etc.- it's harder to get a sense of it, because Kirkman never really put the "work" into it with them. Granted, Monster Girl was like the #9 most important character in the book, at-best. Like a lot of the Guardians, the World-Building Kirkman utilized was strong enough to make them feel like real comic book characters, but his own lack of focus meant they weren't really shown as much as they could have been.