Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: Jab's Builds! (Young Omni-Man! Pegasus! Robot! Monster Girl!)

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 am Funny- the biggest complaint of the series is the non-Viltrumites don't matter. so I post the two biggest non-Viltrumite characters in succession and they get no comments compared to Viltrumites :).
I was busy yesterday ;} And I think you covered them both pretty well.

I like Robot. That's a good story of how good intentions can get perverted into something terrible. And yet, aside from killing so many heroes, the end result was pretty good. He wasn't a KNEEL BEFORE DOOM style "benevolent dictator." People weren't oppressed. They didn't actually lose much freedom. Robot was just pulling strings to make the good things happen. Of course, Kirkman didn't go into a lot of detail about the actual changes so it's hard to back that up.

I also like Monster Girl. That first reveal of her being smoking hot was really funny. And it was sad to see how much she was giving up to be a hero. How many people would make that same choice?
Jabroniville

Dinosaurus

Post by Jabroniville »

DINOSAURUS (Real Name)
Role:
Evil Environmentalist
PL 12 (149)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+16)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 8 (+16)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Inventor

Powers:
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]
"Teeth & Claws" Penetrating on Damage 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Saving the Earth)- Dinosaurus wishes to save humanity by reducing their impact upon the Earth. His means by this are very brutal, and cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands. "Kill Millions to save BILLIONS" is his philosophy.
Involuntary Transformation (Human Form)- Dinosaurus's human form is an ordinary person- only complete indifference and boredom can cause him to transform back.

Total: Abilities: 106 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 9 (149)

Dinosaurs- The Weird Arc:
-The "Dinosaurus" arc of Invincible is just the weirdest damn thing. Seemingly created because Kirkman likes dinosaurs (he wrote Super Dinosaur), this thing suddenly pops up one day as an ENVIRONMENTALIST, despite his theropodian appearance and his ludicrous name. In a moment that I still remember as irksome years later, he punches Mark, who is forced to admit "Uh-oh. You're actually a credible threat"- something that sticks with me mainly because it was emblematic of the problem with the series devaluing so many of its villains (interesting guys like Titan were establishes as being weak threats almost at their debuts). He manages to destroy the city of Las Vegas because of its energy waste, horrifying Mark, who's felt too many losses lately. However, as his method (a nuclear device that renders the desert city a sheet of glass) causes it to absorb a ton of sunlight, it ends up successfully helping out much of America. Inexplicably, this leads to Mark going all "Dinosaurus was RIGHT", and so he frees the guy from prison (his human self turned himself in after coming to), convinces him to continue his works, and plans on leaning him towards less-lethal uses of power.

-This is INSANELY weird, and kind of indicates Mark's peculiar nature around this time, as Kirkman just starts throwing random stuff around, seeing what'll stick. It ain't predictable, I'll give it that. I get the appeal of a superhero who questions how he's been going about things (simply being a reactive puncher-of-threats) and seeing the big picture. But... seeing Invincible turn himself into a FUGITIVE just to free a mass murderer because he can help the Earth is a little bizarre. Things get weirder when Mark is hit by the Scourge Virus, and Dinosaurus springs him when Grand Regent Thragg is about to slaughter a comatose Invincible... but then he's horribly mangled trying to fight Thragg (to the point where two of his worst injuries come from striking the ultra-durable villain, as his claws disgustingly peel back from a slash, and his teeth jettison out of his skull when he tries to bite Thragg's head. Then Thragg just "King Kongs" his jaws open), escapes to Earth with Mark, and then commits MORE MASS MURDER, as he unleashes a global flood that kills around a million people.

-This weird, WEIRD story arc culminates with Dinosaurus faking Mark's death (Invincible is ruined as a hero anyways, as people KNOW he was working with Dinosaurus), leaving him comatose for a lecture, but Mark ultimately convincing him that he's not SAVED humanity- just delayed its inevitable destruction temporarily. This little back-and-forth convinces Dinosaurus that he was wrong, and he declares himself a failure. And then he's like "If you let me live, I will just convince myself to do something like this again. You have to KILL ME." And then Mark DOES. So this multi-issue story just ends with the villain allowing the hero to execute him, and we never hear from him again. Invincible is now thought-dead, but goes back to working for Cecil, who's all "I've worked with villains BEFORE" with a smirk. But then Mark quickly leaves Earth anyways, and this is never really touched on again. Like I said... WEIRD.

-Dinosaurus is very powerful- enough that he can draw even with Mark over a series of fights. However, he's nothing before Thragg, who essentially defeats him just by standing still, as Dinosaurus's natural weapons not only fail to cause any harm, but actually GET RIPPED OUT just in the process of attacking the nigh-invincible bad guy. So he's a PL 12, but lacks the Power Attack so common to the series.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Ms. Popper

Post by Jabroniville »

MS. POPPER
Role:
Teleporter

-A hard-partying granny (tragically, the artists don't made her a Susan Sarandon/Jane Seymore type- she has a womanly body, but a wrinkled old face with a ball-chin), Ms. Popper is basically Battlefield Transport, on a team that really shouldn't need it (teleporters are mundane stuff in the Invincible series). And of course they can write her out whenever needed, as her powers have their limits and she can get wiped out for using them too often. She isn't a major fighter, though her teleporting reduced the power of Redeye's eye-beams enough to render one non-fatal to her.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Conquest

Post by Jabroniville »

CONQUEST
Role:
Murderous Bastard
PL 14 (181)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 17 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 1 (+2)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 11 (+12)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Viltrumite Physiology"
"Flying Brick"
Flight 12 (8,000 mph) [24]
"That Super-Speed Stuff They Eventually Started Ignoring" Quickness 2 [2]

"Flies In Space"
Immunity 3 (Heat, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]

"Hard To Kill"
Immunity 4 (Aging, Suffocation, Radiation, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +17, Fortitude +17, Will +8

Complications: 
Obsession (Fighting & Killing)- Conquest enjoys nothing more than killing others. He WANT people to fight back, and enjoys a scrap so much he actively reduces his strength in combat, just to make the fights last longer. He typically operates at 2 PLs below his basis to start battles.
Responsibility (The Viltrumite Empire)- Conquest is loyal to Thragg. He's also the only Viltrumite seen actually FEARING his Grand Regent.
Responsibility (Viltrumite Rage)- All Viltrumites get angry very quickly, and restraining themselves in times of anger is extremely difficult.
Weakness (High-Level Sonics)- Viltrumites require inner-ear stability in order to fly, and can be incapacitated by certain degrees of sonic pulses.

Total: Abilities: 104 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 13 (181)

-Conquest is a big game-changer in Invincible- the second the "Invincible War" is over, this huge, aged Viltrumite arrives. Unlike the subserviant guys who fight Mark & Nolan, or Anissa (who tries to carefully explain the benefits of Viltrumite rule)... Conquest just wants to fight. He BEGS Mark to tell him off and start punching, explaining that he LOVES fighting and has never, ever failed. Mark, disgusted and enraged over various alternate versions of himself have killed scores of people, just wants something to hit. And so it's ON.

-Conquest is vicious, unstoppable and nigh-unkillable- he takes all of Mark's best shots, laughs them off, and throws him around. He takes his sweet time, slowly picking Mark apart. Mark has to throw punches so hard that HIS OWN BONES BREAK, and Conquest is still barely slowed down- it's basically the closest Invincible has ever come to a Dragon Ball Z fight. This looks to be ultra one-sided, as a barely-bleeding Conquest has Mark beat... and then Eve shows up. She almost does okay, but pretty soon her jaw is mashed in Conquest's arms, and then he freaking IMPALES HER on his fist, sending her into a bloody heap on the ground. Fans everywhere were horrified, and wrote Kirkman insulting mail.

-And of course Eve resurrects herself next issue, helping turn a tide. Invincible, enraged past the point he'd ever been in his life, and packing two mangled arms, manages to bite into Conquest's flesh, take him down, and once Eve lazes his skin off, headbutts the villain until his face is literally a concave shell. It's one of the most epic, violent, vicious fights in the series, and instantly made Conquest a HUGE name.

-Conquest is seemingly dead, but a sliver of life is left in him, because Viltrumites can only die when it's important to the plot for them to do so. Cecil keeps him alive, intending to interrogate him about the Viltrumite Empire, but the villain simply reawakens one day, shatters his prison (hundreds of tons of steel), and flies off. His Grand Regent sends him against the heroes once more, but this one goes no better- Mark doesn't even need help to defeat him, though it's basically a two-way-kill, as Mark is disemboweled by Conquest's fist, but manages to strangle the villain to death (how you can strangle someone who can survive in space for DAYS is beyond me, but like I said... it was important to the plot that Conquest die). Mark needs months to slowly heal himself back to normal (his stomach and spine were gone, though Viltrumites are so heal-able that a simple cape can hold all his innards inside), but Conquest is dead and never reappears, only a year after his introduction.

-Conquest stands as the mightiest Viltrumite yet seen, though I'm pretty sure he's no more dangerous than Omni-Man given what happens to him in the series. Granted, it's established that "Conquest acts like a spectator to his own fights", barely even paying attention to what's going on until it gets serious. He's big, strong and powerful, but generally doesn't try overly much in battle. Mark DOES manage to deal out mortal wounds on two separate occasions, but A) Mark was at least PL 12 in their first fight, B) Eve helped him the first time with her own Limit Break, and C) both times, Mark was basically a nearly-dead wreck after winning. So he's still stronger than Mark is by a ways.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Conquest

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:05 am Image

CONQUEST
Role:
Murderous Bastard
That little speech is one of the highlights of the whole series IMHO. I don't think there's anything better than the villain with a calm demeanor that masks the insanity inside. Shame he ended up being jobber to the stars.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Pegasus! Robot! Monster Girl! Dinosaurus! Conquest!)

Post by Ares »

Hey Jab, looks like you might have someone new to add to your Waifu harem. Brigitte from Overwatch is becoming a playable character.

And of course, the fan art has already begun to overflow:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Looks like someone doesn't check out my DeviantArt page :).
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab's Builds! (Atom Eve! Young Omni-Man! Pegasus! Robot!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:15 pm This was my biggest takeaway, as a lifelong comic book nerd. The film not only managed to make Man-Ape work as a concept and a character, but they made him awesome. Like, not even Priest could do that.
First thing I said coming out of the theater was "I cannot believe they managed to make the Man-Ape badass."
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:11 am Looks like someone doesn't check out my DeviantArt page :).
I didn't know you HAD a deviantArt page, though knowing about . . . no, not planning to visit it. It should have a warning akin to "Here be dragons", only it's likely to read "Here be F***ed up fetish art of giantesses and muscle babes".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

First thing I said coming out of the theater was "I cannot believe they managed to make the Man-Ape badass."
Prolly helped that they didn't call him that. Or have him dressed head to toe in a white ape outfit. Just have little visual elements and character acting to maintain the connection in a natural, believable way without crossing into silliness or derogatoriness.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

One thing Jab and I agree on was that Man Ape looked pretty solid in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, where instead of this full body gorilla outfit, he was mainly just wearing a head piece and some fur around his forearms and shins, making him look more like some badass Conan the Barbarian warlord than a guy in a gorilla suit.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:16 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:11 am Looks like someone doesn't check out my DeviantArt page :).
I didn't know you HAD a deviantArt page, though knowing about . . . no, not planning to visit it. It should have a warning akin to "Here be dragons", only it's likely to read "Here be F***ed up fetish art of giantesses and muscle babes".
haha, time to spam our Facebook conversation :).
Jabroniville

Universa

Post by Jabroniville »

UNIVERSA
Role:
One-Off Threat

-Universa has a REALLY kick-ass design- a green-skinned space babe in a sexy white outfit (complete with itty-bitty bikini bottoms!), but amazonian enough to be a real threat, especially with that glowing weapon. However, she's at-best a background thing to Mark & Eve's team-up, as Mark gets knocked around a bit by her Blaster (while she searches for power plant energy to supply her homeworld), but Eve successfully disarms Universa, then punches her out. Apparently all of her strength and durability (I dunno- a lot) comes from her staff. She doesn't reappear until Mark goes through a thing where he reconnects with Cecil & the Global Defense Agency- realizing that "just punching" isn't that successful, he decides to find other solutions. He convinces Cecil to free Universa, and allow her to take a little bit of power from various sources, then sends her on her way. There appears to be a mini-flirtation from her (or she's just REALLY appreciative), but we don't see her again. She has a one-panel appearance in the final issue, helping the Coalition forces in a large space battle- it's said by Kirkman to be a gift to Cory Walker, who'd designed the character, but had never drawn her in-story.

-Universa has Class 100-ish Strength & Toughness, along with a weapon that's at least Blast 12-14. Probably a PL 11 character (PL 12-ish Mark got knocked around a fair bit), so long as she wields her Blaster Staff, which also lets her fly.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Conquest

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:13 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:05 am Image

CONQUEST
Role:
Murderous Bastard
That little speech is one of the highlights of the whole series IMHO. I don't think there's anything better than the villain with a calm demeanor that masks the insanity inside. Shame he ended up being jobber to the stars.
Yeah, it's really quite weird, but just shows you how effective a villain he really was. Dude shows up for all of seven issues combined (if you include the Alternate Earth where Mark found the Mohawked Invincible), but he casts this HUGE shadow, and is arguably the most popular and legendary villain. To the point where people almost over-rate his power (I mean, he JOBS. TWICE!). But that personality of his is downright chilling in how much he loves to just cut loose. In the Alternate Earth, he just says "You will come with me. PLEASE RESIST." He WANTS to fight them.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Ares wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:16 am
Heh. I have not posted anything on Deviantart in ages, but I recall something amusing.

So, whenever someone favorites one of my works, I go over to their profile and check their art and what else they have in their favorites (since they liked my stuff, they might have stuff I'd like in there).

Well, every time I posted artwork of a standard-muscular-for-comics superheroine and someone would favorite it, I would check what else that person Favorited. Cue frequent parades of ultra-cut, gigamuscular female characters.

I was pretty surprised by the amount of muscle fetishists my stuff was getting, since I never posted anything even on She-Hulk grade of buff, not even close to what else these people had in their favorites. And they were clearly not starved of mega-buff-girl pictures, so it was a bit baffling.