Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

F.A.N.G.

Post by Jabroniville »

F.A.N.G.
Created By:
Unknown
First Appearance: Street Fighter V (2016)
Game Appearances: Street Fighter V Only
Home Country: China (possibly)
Role: Goofy Fighter
Vague Martial Art Basis: Poison Hand Kenpo
PL 9 (145)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+14)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+8)
Technology 8 (+14)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Critical (Sotoja), Improved Critical (Nishikyu), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Power Punch" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"V-Trigger: Slowly Poisons" Weaken Toughness 3 (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Fades, Tiring) [8]

"Special Moves"
"Nishikyu- Poison Globes" Blast 3 (Reduced Defenses 1, Diminished Range -2) Linked to Weaken Stamina 3 (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to Until He's Struck) (Dim. Range -2) (9) -- [10]
  • AE: "Sotoja- Double-Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (Inaccurate -1) Linked to Weaken Stamina 3 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to Until He's Struck) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sotoja +12 (+5 Damage & +3 Weaken, DC 20 & 13)
Nishikyu +12 (+3 Ranged Damage & +3 Ranged Weaken, DC 18 & 13)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Survival)- F.A.N.G. seeks power through Shadaloo, and desperately fights to stave off death, having grown up surrounded by it. To ensure his survival, he must beat the #%! out of people.
Responsibility (Permanent Poison)- F.A.N.G.'s hands are coated with poison, which will melt many objects on contact. He must use his sleeves, or gloves, to handle ordinary objects.
Power Loss (Poison)- F.A.N.G.'s poison cannot affect Bison.
Weakness (Predictability)- F.A.N.G., like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 5 + 14 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 16 (145)

-The most disliked of the new Street Fighter V characters seems to be F.A.N.G., the new #2 man at Shadaloo. Which is too bad, as I felt his design was unique while still fitting in-universe (the whole "Skinny Yet Mystic" thing gives off a threatening vibe, especially with the whole "Chinese qipao" thing), and his "Poison" gimmick was a totally new thing to the franchise. But a combination of his voice, his flamboyant movements, and his sudden status as a big name at Shadaloo has burned many fans. He's meant to be a bit like Final Fantasy VI's villain Kefka, and he's the centrepiece of the entire scheme in the game- to create fear throughout the world that will allow Bison to gain further power. He personally kidnaps some of the heroes, but is sycophantic towards Bison, whom he feels is the ultimate in power, and the key to F.A.N.G.'s own survival.

-Fighting Style: F.A.N.G. is a defensive, long-ranged fighter who depends on keeping his opponents at bay, and trickling their health down slowly thanks to his Poison Chi (though really, it's more accurately called "venom"- venom is something you create; poison is something you ARE). His attacks will throw in Weaken effects against his opponents, but they'll stop as soon as he's been hit, and everything's generally low-level. Despite his reach and unique powers, he's only PL 8.5- he's considered one of the worst characters to play in the current games. He's sure SMARTER than most other World Warriors, at least.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Juri! Necalli! Laura! Rashid! F.A.N.G.!)

Post by drkrash »

Back on the topic of "limb-based" fighting games, XBox's Tao Feng was characterized by limb injuries, though not quite in the way of an MMA submission move.

(This is a comment way back on Laura. I haven't quite gotten past her yet. :) )
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Well, there are the UFC fighting games, and the WWE ones. Plenty of submissions and limb damage in those.

On this F.A.N.G. dude, never seen him before, his design is a bit weird, but not bad. The concept of a scheming vizier to Bison's over-the-top evil dictator fits well in a martial arts story. I bet people would like him if he was more of "badass" design instead of his kinda goofy one. You don't put that sort of design on the #2 to the boss, you know.
Jabroniville

"Baby, I'm your trouble-man..."

Post by Jabroniville »

DARKSTALKERS:
-DARKSTALKERS (called Vampire in Japan) is rather well-known, and a great signifier in the advances of technology in Fighting Games. Coming out in 1994, not too long after the release of Super Street Fighter II, it nonetheless looked like an entirely different SPECIES of game. The graphical enhancements made this look more or less like a controllable cartoon, not a mere pixelated "video game". The Fighter was basically played like a Street Fighter game, but had the "gimmick" of getting the player to select from a list of MONSTERS, rather than Martial Artists, separating it from the herd. Using weird, size-shifted beasties of all types, the game was known for its great character designs, a pair of RIDICULOUSLY-Fanservicey dames, and a cool overall "feel".

-1995 saw the release of a sequel (Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge, or Vampire Hunter in Japan), and a third and final game came out in 1997, featuring a new boss and my least favorite video game character of all time. The overall Plot (such as it is) is that the human realm is merging with the dark "Makai" realm, and this is awakening many "Darkstalkers" (a catch-all term for monsters). The Space Demon known as Pyron is the boss of the first two games, but the Makai lord Jedah rules the third one.

-The Game-Changing graphics immediately made every other fighter obsolete, and soon this one and the great X-Men fighting game would be joined by Street Fighter Alpha, as Capcom inevitably drew their main Fighting series into the fray with the new engine. This internal competition (X-Men would soon be joined by a Marvel-focused game, then X-Men (vs) Street Fighter, then a SERIES of Vs. games that drew more and more attention), plus the eventual downfall of the 2-D Fighting Game genre (in favor of games like Tekken and Soul Calibur), was pretty much the death knell for Darkstalkers. There were three games in total, and a cartoon series (which I'd never even heard of until I was an adult), but the game hasn't been seen in eons, and typically you'll only see one of the characters pop up in a random VS. game or something- Morrigan, who once stunned gamers with the beauty of her sprite, looked sadly ancient and out-of-touch when she appeared in SNK (vs) Capcom using her 1994-era spirte in a 2002-era game. The last couple of decades have been unkind to the series in general- a potential sequel was announced around 2012, but Capcom was disappointed by pre-sales or whatever, and the project has been shelved for years- essentially, Darkstalkers is now VaporWare, as Capcom hinges all its bets on the new Street Fighter.

-Despite the popularity, I never got to play the game. I recall only one Arcade that had it (the miniature one at Red Deer College), and I was probably more into Mortal Kombat or something, so I never picked it up.

-Regarding Power Levels... I dunno. Some of the characters are seen in the backstory as being super-elite, world-conquering menaces. Yet they can be beaten by Catgirls and a Sasquatch. Therefore, they're all gonna be around where the Street Fighter characters are, and can suck it if they don't like it.

The Roster:
1) Dmitri (Vampire)
2) Morrigan (Succubus/Witch)
3) Victor (Frankenstein's Monster)
4) Sasquatch (Samsquanch)
5) Felicia (Catgirl)
6) Bishamon (Undead Samurai)
7) Rikuo (Creature From The Black Lagoon)
8) John Talbain (Werewolf)
9) Lord Raptor (Zombie Rock Star)
10) Anakaris (Mummy)

(Bosses)
11) Huitzil (Mayaincatec Robot)
12) Pyron (Space Demon Lord)

Night Warriors Roster Additions:
13) Donovan Baine (Demon Hunter)
14) Hsein-Ko (Chinese Ghost)

Darkstalkers 3 Roster Additions:
15) Lilith (EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW)
16) B.B. Hood (Insane Little Girl Monster-Hunter)
17) Q-Bee (Sexy Bee Chick)
18) Jedah (Demon Lord- Final Boss)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

WHOOOO! STRANGELY ATTRACTIVE FISH MEN AHOY!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Unlike street fighter, I've actually never heard of this game st all until last week. And now I find myself surprised to see it involves monsters fighting monsters. Well, should be interesting at least.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

hey Jab, be sure to post pics of how Hsien-Ko varied from her actual design to the more fan servicey American toon version. just for contrast mind you.

also can they keep it clear whether she's a ghost or a hopping vampire? I've seen her referred to as both
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

but yeah, I remember watching the American toon when I lived in Texas. I immediately thought it was a more adult show since it aired at 11:30 at night on Saturdays.

Also the first episode I saw had a 'stripper' arguing with her agent about jumping out a cake and Felecia easily beating a huge bodybuilder at arm wrestling.....which I'm sure is no way one of Jab's fetishes........
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I have to echo things, the cartoon did far more to cement the coolness of the series than the video game did. I also have a few of the comics which seem to have had a lot of love put into them even if not the best writing.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

It is not really fair to compare a cheap 13-episode TV series designed for American sensibilities towards kids' shows to a 4-OVA series made by the rather excellent Madhouse Studios with liberty to be more mature, but I can't resist.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

There might also be more than a few years difference between the two series.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

HalloweenJack wrote:also can they keep it clear whether she's a ghost or a hopping vampire? I've seen her referred to as both
Probably not. What she is called a Jiangshi. A jiangshi is a unique kind of undead creature that's present in Asian cultures. When we call them vampires or ghosts, we're trying to fit an Asian concept into a European box.

Basically: Ghosts are bodyless spirits returned from the dead. Vampires are animated corpses that feed on blood. Zombies are animated corpses that feed on brains. Jiangshi are animated corpses that feed on qi or life force. Vampires are highly mobile. Zombies are lumbering. Jiangshi hop.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Demitri

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

DEMITRI (Demitri Maximoff)
First Appearance:
Darkstalkers (1994)
Game Appearances: Darkstalkers- All Games, SVC Chaos: SNK (vs) Capcom, Namco X Capcom
Home Country: Romania
Role: Would-Be Main Character, Shotoclone
PL 10 (191)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+14)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+14)
Deception 4 (+8, +13 Attractive)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+12)
Expertise (History) 8 (+12)
Insight 8 (+12)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Perception 8 (+12)
Ranged Combat (Chaos Flare) 6 (+12)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Attractive 2, Chokehold, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Chaos Flare), Improved Critical (Demon Cradle), Improved Critical (Bat Spin), Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist, Startle

"DarkStalker" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Vampiric Physiology"
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]
"Dash" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Scent) [2]

"Monstrous Form" Morph 1 (Feats: Megamorph) (6) -- [7]
  • AE: "Bat Form" Morph 1 (Feats: Metamorph) (6)
"Special Moves"
"Chaos Flare" Blast 6 (Reduced Defenses 1) (10) -- [13]
  • AE: "Bat Spin" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 6) (Flaws: Distracting 6) Linked to Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (9)
  • AE: "Demon Cradle- Uppercut" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Negative Stolen- Jumping Slam" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bat Spin +14 (+6 Damage, +6 Affliction, DC 21 & 16)
Demon Cradle/Negative Spin +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Chaos Flare +11 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +7 (+8 D.Roll), Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications: 
Motivation (Power)- Demitri wishes to regain the power of the Makai, and leave the human world.
Weakness (Sunlight, Loss of Blood)- Demitri requires a supply of blood to remain strong, and can be injured by too much sunlight (though not nearly as badly as other vampires).
Weakness (Predictability)- Demitri, like all Darkstalkers, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 70--35 / Advantages: 14 + 13 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 17 (191)

-Demitri seemed to be the "Main Character" of the first game- he had the generic "Shotoclone" fighting style (Uppercut/Across-The-Screen Move/Blast), was simple to play, and the original Japanese title of the game was Vampire. However, fans didn't quite take to him, and his villainous nature (he's a blood-drinking, vicious vampire) and evil purpose (he wishes to rule the realm of Makai once more) made it clear he wasn't the hero. Plus, he liked to drink the blood of pretty girls, and keeps several enslaved in his castle. Demitri's backstory is that he was once the ruler of the Makai realm, but was exiled after losing to Belial Aensland- he fights for his old job back, targeting Belial's daughter Morrigan.

Monster Basis: Demitri is obviously a vampire, a creature of numerous legends, largely based around the Slavic cultures, but really impacted by all sorts of myths and retellings. The possible origins are exceptionally-numerous (a lot of it stems around certain diseases, and how corpses look after death), but the most famous tale by FAR is that of Dracula. Because of all the stories, about nine million potential "weaknesses" of vampires were also created, as many people legitimately thought these were real things that they needed protection from. Vampires have continuously been one of the great sources of pop culture, with the undead, seductive nature of the beings (as they'd shifted over time into sex symbols instead of giant monsters) being drawn into a kind of "teen angst" thing, largely due to the rebellious undertones of being... well, a blood-drinking monster. Anne Rice novels completed a shift into romanticized figures that'd begun decades earlier, and currently you have multiple types populating every form of media: Nosferatu-like monsters, Wallachian nobles, and angsty, whiny perma-teens in Young Adult Romance Novels.

-Demitri is basically what Ken & Ryu would look like if upgraded to a more-monstrous statline- this, to me, best reflects out the Darkstalkers characters operate. Like World Warriors, but scaled up in power so that they would still probably hold an advantage. The backstory could put Demitri anywhere from PL 10 to PL 14, but he's really just a way-overpointed PL 10 in my books. He's been in enough games against regular opponents to justify making him a slightly accuracy-shifted attacker with a lot of options, and he'd probably still have a statistical advantage over Ken & Ryu in an actual scrap, given that he's way stronger and tougher than either of them.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Spectrum wrote:There might also be more than a few years difference between the two series.
Not that many, the American cartoon is from 95, the Japanese one from 97.
Jabroniville

Victor

Post by Jabroniville »

VICTOR (Victor von Gerdenheim)
First Appearance:
Darkstalkers (1994)
Game Appearances: Darkstalkers- All Games
Home Country: ???
Role: Powerhouse, Goofy Fighter
PL 10 (111)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Intimidation 9 (+8)
Perception 7 (+6)

Advantages:
Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Graviton Knuckle), Improved Critical (Giga Hammer), Improved Critical (Gyro Crush), Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

"DarkStalker" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"The Creature"
Features 1: Unarmed Attacks Are Also Electrical [1]
"Huge Size" Reach 1 [1]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease) [3]
"Prehensile Ass" Extra Limbs (Ass) [1]

"Special Moves"
"Gyro Crush- Spinning Lariat" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) & Enhanced Advantages: Takedown (total 2) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Graviton Knuckle- Jumping Slam" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Giga Hammer/Buster" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Special Moves +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8 (+9 D.Roll), Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications: 
Motivation (Power)- Demitri wishes to regain the power of the Makai, and leave the human world.
Weakness (Predictability)- Victor, like all Darkstalkers, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 9 + 13 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 20 (111)

-Victor is the animated result of a series of stitched-together corpses, whose creator died soon after his awakening. Believing that his creator's death was a sign of disapproval, Victor fights to prove his strength, and thus his creator's love. Later, he discovers his creator's OTHER creation, Emily, and lives happily with her until she runs out of energy and goes comatose. In Victor's ending to the later games, he sacrifices his life so that she may live.

Monster Basis: Victor is obviously a reference to the cast of the novel Frankenstein, an 1823 masterpiece by Mary Shelley that featured a scientist building a creature from corpses. The creature awakens into a world that was unprepared for it, finds itself hunted and hated for its monstrous appearance, and ultimately chases his creator across the world, where the scientist dies. The character has since come to mean a great deal in pop culture (Marvel's Hulk can be traced directly back to both him and The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll & Mister Hyde), usually as an Unfortunate Monster- the ultimate outcast. He was innocent at first- things merely happened to him, and he had no chance. Experience is what turned him into a REAL monster. The novel's creature was actually well-spoken and quite intelligent in the end (having learned from watching others, after his creator cast him out), but most adaptations have turned him into a slow-witted, lumbering beast.

-Victor is a Powerhouse-type character, prone to dashing attacks and fighting like Zangief from Street Fighter. He also uses a few comedic attacks, like attacking with his ass, or using an ass-based Super Move that repeatedly electrocutes the foe between his cheeks.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.