Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shadow Lass! Tyroc! Invisible Kids! Ultra Boy!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:25 pm Re your build of Ultra-Boy: I think depending on how much a stickler you are for RAW, the "Ultra-STR" slot of the Array could forego the "Ground Pound" Affliction effect, which could either just be a power stunt or its own alternate slot, just as you separated "Ultra-Speed" and "Ultra-Quickness". I suppose the Senses, Space Travel, and other powers could be outside the array, and just have the flaw: no usable with other abilities" tacked on.

Jo Nah still needs something to explain how his normal Toughness body stands up to super-strength combat and flying at super-sonic speeds-I'd ask why he doesn't wear body armor, but hell-why don't nearly ALL the LSHers wear body armor, for that matter?

He actually is kind of a favorite of mine-really mighty but still limited, not "smart" but street savvy, impulsive but kind of cunning. One of the few members with a memorable personality. AND a less than savory background.

All my best.
I SUPPOSE it could be separate, but I like stuff under one heading if I can pull it off, since it's all "Ultra-Strength". The other stuff is Dynamic mainly because that's how they're built on every other Kryptonian-class being.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Hoid wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:09 pm How does he survive without invulnerability, flying at those speeds? Now, now, no need bring actual science into this. Real-world science would be a disaster for superbeings, as virtually none of their powers would operate remotely similar to what is depicted in the comics!
I got you covered Hoid! It turns out every single Legion ring has the ability to fly programed into it(aparently,all the actual flying heroes got tired of either waiting for those that didn't to catch up or refused to play Bus for 'em).Heck,Booster Gold stole one from the museum he worked at so he could fly when he went back into time,it's even part of his origin......
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Supposedly, Ultra Boy's powers come with just enough of the required secondary abilities to use his powers safely, at least to an extent. He can punch with his super strength without breaking his hand, run without the friction ripping him apart, shoot laser vision without melting his eyes, etc. So apparently his powers reinforce the areas using them, but only so far.

When Jo and several other Legion members were trapped in the past, he attempted to use his speed to take them back to the future. However, when he approached time travel speed, the strain on his body was too much and he had to stop. His body just couldn't survive the rigours of time travel. It seems like his power somehow protect Jo from the immediate effects of their use (he can punch Superboy without needing a new hand), but not from outside effects.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As for flight rings, originally all they did was allow people to fly, but then they became universal translators, and still later they provided life support to let people fly in space.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Phantom Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

PHANTOM GIRL (Tinya Wazzo, aka Apparition, Phase)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Action Comics #267 (May 1961)
Home Planet: Bgztl
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Ultra-Boy
Role: Sweet Girl, Intangible Non-Fighter
PL 7 (146), PL 9 (146) to Technology
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 6 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 5 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Expertise (Space Hero) 6 (+7)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Vehicles 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Evasion 2, Set-Up 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Bgztlian Physiology"
Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Selective) [21]
"Air Walking" Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Walking- Has to Take "Steps") [2]
"Sneak Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Flaws: Limited to While the Enemy Loses It's Dodge Bonus) [1]

"Haywire Electronics" Affliction 10 (Tech Skill of Creator; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Affects Corporeal, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (Inaccurate -1) [19]
Senses 2 (Detect Phantom Zone Apparitions) (Flaws: Limited- Only When Phased) [1]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Sneak Attack +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Haywire Electronics +8 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Ultra-Boy)- One of the more enduring Legionnaire relationships is between Tinya & Jo.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 15 (146)

Silver Age Phantom Girl:
-Phantom Girl is a VERY old-school Legionnaire who nonetheless had a very limited power set, but made herself a place by being extremely effective on recon and escaping, and by being the genuinely NICEST and SWEETEST member of the team. In a world plagued by Superdickery and cruel acts, she was one of the few who never seemed to be a part of it, often trusting people when no one else would. Plus, the pigtails & white bell-bottoms are adorable. Granted, this all left her the most bland of the Legionnaires, and I can't find a single instance of her really showing ANY characterization in four trades' worth of stuff- she's basically Ultra-Boy's Non-Combatant Girlfriend 24/7. '90s mix-ups led to her being revealed as half-Carggite, explaining "Phase" from that weird L.E.G.I.O.N. team, but through everything, she was virtually always in a relationship with Ultra-Boy- a classic case of Good Little Girl falling for the rough ex-Bad Boy. Her mom being United Planets leader gave her an interesting place as well.

-Phantom Girl was actually the fifth person to join the Legion, and is a native of Bgztl, which exists in the 4th Dimension, allowing all of that race to "phase" out of reality, becoming intangible. She quickly forms a relationship with Ultra Boy, and becomes the stealthiest Legionnaire, alongside The Invisible Kid. Thought to have been killed in the "Five Year Gap" era, she is actually transported to the 20th Century by the sorceress Glorith- she becomes "Phase" of the interstellar law enforcement agency, L.E.G.I.O.N. Meanwhile, the "SW6 Clones" are activated, giving us another Phantom Girl, who eventually takes the name Apparition. A few continuity shifts thanks to time travel later, and Phase is now revealed to be "Enya Wazzo", Phantom Girl's cousin (who of course had never appeared before), and Tinya reunites with Ultra Boy just as continuity ends.

Reboot Era Apparition:
-"Apparition" is again the fifth member to join, and also starts dating Ultra Boy. However, this version of Tinya is revealed to be Half-Carggite, with Phase as another one of her bodies- since Carggites are all able to triplicate. Here, Apparition chafes under the domineering control of her mother, Bgztlian Ambassador to the United Planets. She is thought killed by Daxamite White Triangle terrorists, but has actually gone permanently out of phase- only Ultra Boy and her mother can see her. Ultra Boy eventually marries her, despite being unable to touch her, and she "merges" with Phase, controlling their united body- it was here that she learns of her origins (her mother had slept with a Carggite traveller). Her "third self" is never found.

-Tinya eventually becomes pregnant while Ultra Boy is lost in space, and stresses pull them apart- he kisses Saturn Girl out of stress, her child Cub grows abnormally fast, and teammate Timber Wolf and Tinya have grown very close. The Threeboot happens before any of this can become resolved.

Threeboot Phantom Girl:
-Tinya is again called Phantom Girl in the "Threeboot" Era, and Bgztl now exists out of phase, but in the same location as Earth. She is the only one of her people who can phase into Earth, leaving her visible on both planets, which can be confusing for those who see her conversing with "nobody". She is badly beaten by a paranoid Princess Projectra, and this continuity ends before anything can be resolved. She barely appears in the Post-Infinite Crisis era, and now shows up in The Terrifics, about a team of heroes led by Mr. Terrific. This makes her one of the very few LOSH characters still active in the current DC Universe.

Stats:
-Poor PG is the lowest-PL of the entire Legion, but that'll happen when your only real power is defensive in nature, and you were never depicted as a major-league ass-kicker. She's extremely good on spy missions and great at being a team player, though. But yeah, I wouldn't want to be the one stuck with her in a Legion campaign; she's just not good enough in a scrap. She wouldn't be good at ANYTHING in a fight if not for the power they stole from Kitty Pryde.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 24, 2022 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:06 pm As for flight rings, originally all they did was allow people to fly, but then they became universal translators, and still later they provided life support to let people fly in space.
Usually handwaved away as "Brainiac built it that way". It's kind of funny how ubiquitous that INCREDIBLE TECHNOLOGY became to the series. Oddly, only Dream Girl ever seemed to use the Rings to maximum potential, probably because she didn't have any "cool powers" to use in combat. In The Great Darkness Saga, she's shown wielding it to throw a chunk of debris as a distraction, and wills it to lift her out of being tied to a stake. It's limited "only by the user's willpower", she notes.
statue345

Re: Phantom Girl

Post by statue345 »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm Home Planet: Bgztl

How exactly do you pronounce that?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm Stats:
-Poor PG is the lowest-PL of the entire Legion, but that'll happen when your only real power is defensive in nature, and you were never depicted as a major-league ass-kicker. She's extremely good on spy missions and great at being a team player, though. But yeah, I wouldn't want to be the one stuck with her in a Legion campaign; she's just not good enough in a scrap. She wouldn't be good at ANYTHING in a fight if not for the power they stole from Kitty Pryde.
If I were asked to reboot the Legion again, I'd borrow a few notes from the Vision and have her using a Bgztl martial art that allows her to punch into people and go nigh-intangible. She wouldn't be able to do much damage but she'd ignore all immunities and invulnerabilities.

statue345 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm Home Planet: Bgztl

How exactly do you pronounce that?
Beg-zet-el.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Some Kitty Pryde/ Vision type stunts would serve her well.

I'm also of the belief that Karate Kid should have been training every Legionnaire, regardless of powers, to be an excellent hand-to-hand fighter, while really making sure those with human level durability are very well trained, and especially making sure the Shrinking Violets, Matter Eater Lads, Phantom Girls and Invisible Kids are skilled enough to survive solely on their combat skills.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The most recent LSH reboot divided up the Legionnarie’s standard kit into a Flight Ring (allowing for the flight that it has right there in the name, but also acting as a com long and distress beacon), the Transuit (a transparent bodysuit that provides full life-support), and the Tele-Plug (a micro hearing aid sized device that served as a universal translator).

Some Legionnaires will opt not to wear some of these items; Superman and Supergirl, for example, don’t use the transuit and I don’t believe Imra uses the teleplug. Everyone has a Flight Ring, though, since it’s as much a “membership badge” as it is a tool.

The very earliest incarnation of the LSH used bubble-type space helmets and rocket packs. These soon got replaced with rocket belts... and everybody but Cosmic Boy ditches the bubble helmets pretty early on. He kept his, sometimes as part of his regular walking around uniform(?), for a few years longer.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:06 pm As for flight rings, originally all they did was allow people to fly, but then they became universal translators, and still later they provided life support to let people fly in space.
I thought it was their "trans-suits", those transparent-to-the-point-of-invisibility body stocking things that gave them life support.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PHANTOM GIRL (Tinya Wazzo, aka Apparition, Phase)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney

and now shows up in The Terrifics, about a team of heroes led by Mr. Terrific. This makes her one of the very few LOSH characters still active in the current DC Universe.
I believe that the Phantom Girl in The Terrifics is an ancestor of Tinya's named Linnya, not actually Tinya.

DC apparently has phantom girls coming out of their wazzo.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 pm
I believe that the Phantom Girl in The Terrifics is an ancestor of Tinya's named Linnya, not actually Tinya.

DC apparently has phantom girls coming out of their wazzo.

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Based on some of those pictures I wonder if they mistakenly thought PG meant Power Girl ;~)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woof.