Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shadow Lass! Tyroc! Invisible Kids! Ultra Boy!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 am Image

Woof.
What is Imra’s expression in this panel!?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

False-Pretenses Legionnaires

Post by Jabroniville »

LEGIONNAIRES ADMITTED UNDER FALSE PRETENSES
Created By:
Various
Role: Villains & Tricksters
PL xx (73)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Various

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (73)

-These guys are just short-lived doofuses, sneaking their way onto the team.

DYNAMO-BOY (Vorm)- PL 7 (92): 
Expertise (Pirate) 6 (+7), Deception 8 (+9) [7]
-Dynamo-Boy was an evil pirate sent to infiltrate the Legion, using their draconian recruiting policy to get the other members kicked out- eventually ending up the only member remaining! Only in the Silver Age, folks... The Legion of Super-Villains' leaders then showed up and joined him, and he soon killed his old pirate boss, but the Villains betrayed him and sent him into Earth's future. The Legionnaires returned and beat the Super-Villains, and Dynamo-Boy was never seen again.

FALSE-PRETENSES LAD (Jan Jor)- PL 6 (76):
Deception 8 (+10) [3]
-Alas, someone with a name THIS awesome was too short for the business. He's just some guy who lied to get into the Legion so he could access their Monitor Board to disable it. I can find almost no other information about him.

COMMAND KID (Jeem Rehtu)- PL 10 (93): "Hallucinations" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled- Random Actions) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) [20]
-Command Kid was a one-shot character who joined the Legion under false pretenses, acted like a superior snot, and was actually a villain- a demon controlling a normal person and giving him powers. Saturn Girl & Element Lad figured him out and ejected the demon, at which point the regular guy left the group.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ken

Re: False-Pretenses Legionnaires

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 am Image

COMMAND KID (Jeem Rehtu)- PL 10 (93): "Hallucinations" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled- Random Actions) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) [20]
-Command Kid was a one-shot character who joined the Legion under false pretenses, acted like a superior snot, and was actually a villain- a demon controlling a normal person and giving him powers and assless chaps which he didn't understand. Saturn Girl & Element Lad figured him out and ejected the demon, at which point the regular guy left the group.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

You just know he's got a garter belt on under there.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 am
Ares wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 am Image

Woof.
What is Imra’s expression in this panel!?
I read it as "UGH- Tinya, what are you doing?"
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Man, I go away for a few days and you guys do the square-cube law and planet moving strength without me!
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Arm-Fall-Off Boy

Post by Jabroniville »

ARM-FALL-OFF BOY (Floyd Brelkin)
Created By:
Various
First Appearance: Secret Origins #46 (Dec. 1989)
Role: Minor-League Superhero
PL 5 (73)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Take Off Arms" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Quirk: Must Remove Arm First) [2]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hit With Arm +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 10 (73)

-The famous first Legion Reject, Floyd has the idiotic ability to take his arms off and use them as melee weapons! He'd actually be reasonably good in a fight if he had much skill, or his arms wouldn't just fall off on their own sometimes (in the cartoon comics, his arm came off with the Flight Ring).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Does Floyd actually have a Flight Ring and the rest of the Legion kit?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 am Does Floyd actually have a Flight Ring and the rest of the Legion kit?
They started giving Legion rejects a Flight Ring as a consolation present. I'm Not Making This Up. The rest is pretty much commercially available.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Arm-Fall-Off Boy

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:10 am Image

ARM-FALL-OFF BOY (Floyd Brelkin)
Created By:
Various
Role: Minor-League Superhero

-The famous first Legion Reject, Floyd has the idiotic ability to take his arms off and use them as melee weapons! He'd actually be reasonably good in a fight if he had much skill, or his arms wouldn't just fall off on their own sometimes (in the cartoon comics, his arm came off with the Flight Ring).
The reboot actually went out on a limb and updated the guy to "Splitter", with the ability to separate his arms and legs from his torso, but also be able control said limbs and move them around telekinetically, so that he could detach an arm and have it hover around to pick up stuff, or send his leg lying o super fast to kick someone. He actually made it to the final selection circle, but when Chameleon Boy surprised them while pretending to be a villain (to test how they'd react to an actually crisis), the poor guy panicked and all four of his limbs just shot off in random directions, causing his torso to fall to the ground, leaving him completely disarmed. This naturally cemented his rejection. Poor guy was just flying on a limb and a prayer then.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Re: Phantom Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 pm
I believe that the Phantom Girl in The Terrifics is an ancestor of Tinya's named Linnya, not actually Tinya.

DC apparently has phantom girls coming out of their wazzo.
W-whu--?? A FUNNY Ken joke?

Jabroniville

Sun Boy

Post by Jabroniville »

This guy has had some of the most generic, forgettable costumes in comic book history.

SUN BOY (Dirk Morgna, aka Inferno)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Action Comics #276 (May 1961)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Thrown Into Atomic Reactor
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Circe, Lots & Lots of girls later on
Role: Flying Blaster, The Most Generic Superhero Ever
PL 10 (146)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Space Hero) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 3 (+9)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Attractive, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Improved Aim, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sunlight Powers"
Radiation Blast 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (31) -- [38]
  • AE: "Sun Stream" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (20)
  • AE: "Sunburst" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
  • AE: Dazzle Visuals 10 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) (20)
  • AE: "Ignite Objects" Damage 6 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (18)
  • AE: "Melt" Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects Only +0) (20)
  • AE: "Create Light" Environment 2 (200 feet) (Light) (4)
  • AE: "Drain Heat" Nullify 7 (Extras: Simultaneous, Area- 30ft. Burst) (21)
Immunity 10 (Heat & Fire Damage, Radiation Damage) [10]
Features 1: May Double Area Effects By Spending Two Hero Points [1]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Radiation Blast +9 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Sun Stream +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Ignite -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Melt +10 (+10 Ranged Weaken, DC 20)
Dazzle Visuals +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Drean Heat +7 Area (+7 Nullify, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Drawback (Mirrored Surfaces)- As sunlight, Sun Boy's blasts can be redirected by mirrored surfaces.
Obsession (Being Loved & Admired)
Reputation (Flirt & Lothario)
Phobia (Darkness)- Sun Boy is nychtophobic, but thankfully his power is bright enough that this rarely comes up.
Enemy (Doctor Regulus)- Regulus blamed his dismissal on Morgna's interruption of his experiments, and tried to kill him. He still carries a grudge.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 14 (146)

Original Era:
-Sun Boy is an early addition to the Legion, but has always gone down as one of it's more generic characters, a mostly basic, average guy with average powers doing average things- hell, he's an Earthling who got his fire powers in an accident! He was rejected at first because his power only let him generate light, but was admitted once he developed fire powers. His most unique characterization came when they settled on him being the Reggie Mantle of the future (well, I guess Reggie from Archie 3000 was the Reggie Mantle of the future, but still...), and gave him a weird, semi-pointless death, where his lover Circe euthanized him when he was poisoned after being considered a traitor to humanity (working with an Earthgov under Dominator control in the "Five Years Later" era). Then brought him back as a burning pain-ridden zombie, then REALLY killed him. One of those happy endings, you see.

-A young clone was part of the "SW6" batch of kids, and he later took the "90s-style name" Inferno.

Reboot & Threeboot:
-He didn't appear as a Legionnaire in the Post-Zero Hour era (just getting a single story involving him as a background character), which seemed kind of bizarre, but he'd be back by Threeboot. He shows up alive in the "Modern Legion" stories, as if he'd never died in the first place. He feel tremendous pain when Superboy-Prime kills "Threeboot" Dirk, causing a temporarily de-powered Sun Boy to return to the fight, saving Polar Boy from the insane teenager. He is... apparently killed in the "New 52" era, being cooked and eaten by some aliens after his starcruiser crashes there (the FRIG?).

-The funny thing is, the Legion NEEDS guys like this: generic Earthlings with simple powers as back-up and window-dressing, or else all the weirdos and whacky-powered guys just make the whole team a mess. Sorta like how in Star Trek, you always need a small cast of humans to make the Klingons & Androids & Half-Borgs seem more unique, y'know?

Stats:
-A really solid hero, Sun Boy stats up real easy-like as a generic Blaster. His Blasts provide a pretty wide array, giving him Human Torch-like powers, minus the burning body. Only difference is he needs the Flight Ring for the flying portion of the true Elemental Blaster archetype. Some Immunity to the source of his own powers, and some shooty-guy Advantages, and he's done. Pretty much solid across the board, minus being PL 7 on Defense, but that's normal for a semi-Glass Cannon class like Blasters anyways. "Reboot" Dirk is much weaker, and "Threeboot" Dirk didn't really have the experience to get past PL 8.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 am Does Floyd actually have a Flight Ring and the rest of the Legion kit?
I've heard tell of him sending his arm careening off after trying to get airborne with a Legion Flight Ring, so he's probably had it at least once :).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Sun Boy basically went from "generic Legion guy #18" to "wealthy, hot-headed womanizer", which at least is a personality, but it's honestly kind of annoying how the only thing some writers can think to do with a character is make their personality some mirror of their powers. Quicksilver being a jerk because his superspeed made him impatient was novel at the time, and Johnny Storm being a hot-headed teenager with fire powers was cute, but it seems like every fire person has a temper and every speedster is impatient. One thing I actually LIKED about Barry Allen was that he was this iconic speedster, yet he was patient, methodical and focused.

It'd honestly be kind of revolutionary at some point to have the ice guy be the person with a short fuse while the fire guy is very calm and relaxed.

In any case, yeah, for a group like the Legion meant to handle every scenario, Sun Boy types are needed. Even the generic costume fits, since with a group that size, the more generic uniforms actually kind of work. It was kind of interesting how, of all the Legion, he was one of the few with a personal arch-nemesis in Dr. Regulus. Only a few Legionnaires like Lightning Lad, Lightning Lass, Karate Kid and the like actually had personal foes, as most Legion foes tended to either be groups of villains or single mega-powerful types, most of whom had a problem with the Legion as a whole and not individual members.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Sun Boy

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:50 am Image
I'd say if you got rid of the underarm strike, just made the sleeves a solid yellow, made the black armbands into solid red armbands and got rid of the lacing on the boots and the unnecessary lines on the chest, that'd be a solid "iconic" Sun Boy look. Yeah, it's basic, but it's also classic superhero design, and when you've got 20+ members on the team, simple is usually better.

It is kind of weird that Sun Boy couldn't fly on his own, though I'm sure these days him and Phantom Girl would have learned that rick without their flight rings. Cosmic Boy actually managed to learn how to fly on his own in the 80s, so it's likely others would have managed it as well.

It's actually interesting with how "pull new powers out of his butt" Pre-Crisis Superman could be at times, yet the Legion usually stuck to the most basic use of their abilities until the mid-to-late 70s (with the exception of Chameleon "I can become a phantom" Boy). Lightning Lad could JUST shoot lightning, Cosmic Boy had VERY basic magnetic powers, etc. The Flash is vibrating through dimensions and the Legion were spectacularly lacking in versatility and creativity.

Though again, perhaps that's the nature of the beast. A lot of writers probably figure that if each individual member is versatile, then having 20+ members might make stories too hard to write. Though I'd tend to say that those guys just aren't trying hard enough.